TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #5551
scole250

We've only had it for about a month or so and my wife does most of the recording so I'm not aware of missing any recordings. Haven't reported that issue to TWC yet.

I'm on their "Signature Home Service" plan which is supposed to be top notch. I get to call a different number than regular subscribers and go directly to a "Personal Service Rep". This saves much more time. Instead of having to navigate a menu or be bounced from one CSR to another, it only takes a minute to be told they don't know what the issue is and schedule a tech visit

I called once a few weeks ago to report that the boxes had to be rebooted at least once a week. They scheduled a tech visit for 5-9pm the following Monday. That Monday around 5:30 my mobile rang, but it was in another room and I missed the call. There was no caller id info and the caller didn't leave a message. I had forgot about the TWC service call until about 30 minutes later. I thought it was probably the tech. I called the number, but got no answer. The voice mail message did not identify the person as a TWC tech so just hung up. The tech never called back and I never got call back from TWC. I'm not impressed.

I went with the TWC whole house DVR because MRV/multi-room-streaming is important to us and TWC has taken that away. (Doesn't sound right does it? Switch to TWC because they ruined your Tivo service?) I'll definitely go back to Tivo when they overcome the MRV/CC byte issue via streaming. I do like the On Demand though. At least half of the programs we recorded on Tivo were for my son. He watches all he wants on the On Demand channels now. Maybe one day TWC and the other cable companies will work out a deal with Tivo. The cable companies should focus on delivering the content and let Tivo present the content, all of it.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #5552
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Oh, geez. That TWC even has a "Signature Home Service" to try and upsell is kind of appalling. This is cable TV, not some concierge at a high-end hotel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #5553
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
I'll definitely go back to Tivo when they overcome the MRV/CC byte issue via streaming.
I'm under the impression this has already been addressed, with the latest system software that was recently released... so long as you have multiple TiVo Premieres.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 02-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #5554
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
I'm under the impression this has already been addressed, with the latest system software that was recently released... so long as you have multiple TiVo Premieres.
Still doesn't help TiVo ToGo. I don't want to stream unit-to-unit, I want to transfer shows to my iPhone/iPad for watching on airplanes.

Time Warner only allows me to do that with local broadcast channels.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #5555
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
You can plug them in... but they will have to be reauthorized in TWC system since the Host ID is different.
Ugh. I was really hoping not to have to call them because I'm scared they'll screw it up
Old 02-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #5556
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
Still doesn't help TiVo ToGo. I don't want to stream unit-to-unit, I want to transfer shows to my iPhone/iPad for watching on airplanes.

Time Warner only allows me to do that with local broadcast channels.
Ah, gotcha. There's certain promise in this prototype unit, demoed at CES.

6EU83pNvWEY

I hope the early reports aren't true and that when/if it is released, it's NOT limited to the home LAN only. I'd like for it to work like Slingbox, and be accessible via WiFi (or 3G!) anywhere.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #5557
cwoody222

I saw that and it looks awesome! I also hope it's not home LAN only. But I have a Slingbox anyway (but I'd sell it for an integrated TiVo box instead).

I did buy my Premiere last night. Haven't called TWC for the CableCARD swap yet. I don't even have a coax running to it yet. So right now it's stuck, un-activated (in SDUI), but at least it has the latest software.

Hopefully the CableCARD swap will be painless. TWC help via Twitter gave me the 866 CableCARD number to call. I may not get around to it until the weekend.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #5558
cwoody222

I called TW to swap my CableCARD (M-card) from my Series3 to my new Premiere.

I was pleasantly surprised that it was a painless procedure. The worst part was the 20-25minute time spent on hold.

The operator I got was very knowledgeable. She had me unplug the card from the Premiere so she could unpair it. Then had me reinsert it and she sent it some info. I had to read her off some numbers from screens (which she referred to by the exact menu names in the TiVo UI) and then explained that it would take about 20 minutes before the screens showed the cards were authorized.

That's exactly what happened. A few of my channels seemed to take a bit longer to come up but within 30 minutes or so everything was showing up like it should have.

She even unpaired my extra card I don't need now so I can return it to an office this week.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #5559
EmmettC

SDV Channels disappearing on Time Warner Cable NYC

Don't know if anyone here can provide any assistance, but I just an hour speaking with several TWC Reps concerning my disappearing channels. Yesterday, a very rude customer service rep managed to get them back up by sending a signal out and having me hard reboot my TiVo Series 3 HD. This morning, they were gone again. Spoke with two reps this morning, one being a "Level 3" rep. I was able to get some channels back, but not all of them (I do know that when this has happened in the past, it sometimes takes a couple of hours for all the channels to show up.) I just took the additional step of hard rebooting the TiVo box again and swapping out the USB connection of the tuning adapter and my wireless adapter. This always seems to work, but I don't think that I should be having to do this EVERY TIME my SDV Channels disappear. Can anyone here shed some insight into this? The Level 3 Rep suggested that I swap out my tuning adapter for a new one, which I'll do later this week, but I'm worried about that not being properly authorized and having the same issue all over again.

I'm at the end of my rope with Time Warner and can't wait for FIOS to be available in our building (our board is already looking into this!)

Thank
Emmett
EmmettC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #5560
cwoody222

EmmettC,

A few questions to help troubleshoot...

- are you sure the channels you're losing are SDV channels? (to make sure the SDV adapter is the problem)

- what error message do you get onscreen when you lose a channel? When it happens do you lose ALL SDV channels or just some? If it's just some, I don't see why the USB connection could be the issue

- do you know the software version of your adapter?

- how is your adapter connected? (just via USB or coax too?)

- try hard cycling the power in this order... unplug both TiVo and adapter and disconnect USB. Plug in adapter. Wait for solid green light. Plug in TiVo. Wait for it to fully finish booting. Connect USB and get onscreen confirmation that it's connected. Go test channels in Settings.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #5561
dlfl
Cranky old novice

EmmettC,

This is most likely a cable system problem but a bad TA can't be ruled out.

If it is indeed just your SDV channels that go missing, you should also be power-cycling your TA while you reboot the TiVo. In TA Diagnostics, in the first status section, what are the dBmV values for FDC and RDC? Your OOB (out-of-band) control signals used to communicate with the cable system may be too weak.

There is a way to tell whether a channel that has been successfully tuned is SDV or not, in TA diagnostics in the SDV SESSION section. Look at the SESSION with a frequency matching what DVR Diagnostics gives for the channel of interest. Then look at the "SamSvcid/Type:" entry. If the last portion of this value is "Switched", it's an SDV channel.

Also of interest is the "Sub Expires" value in the PowerKEY Information section. It should be a date several weeks into the future, but definitely not "Expired", which means your TA has lost authorization. This usually results in an 8-blink-pause sequence of the green light. For my first year with a TA, I had to call support every month because the system wasn't automatically refreshing that expiration date.

All the above applies to Cisco TA's. Not sure about Motorolas.

The customer service reps have a "Customer Balancing" screen and if your account is set up properly (sometimes a big "if"), all they have to do is hit the "Enter" key while in that screen to send all the required signals to properly authorize your TA and CableCARDs. On a couple of occasions I actually instructed the rep to do this, while their only solution was a truck roll.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #5562
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmettC View Post
Don't know if anyone here can provide any assistance, but I just an hour speaking with several TWC Reps concerning my disappearing channels. Yesterday, a very rude customer service rep managed to get them back up by sending a signal out and having me hard reboot my TiVo Series 3 HD. This morning, they were gone again. Spoke with two reps this morning, one being a "Level 3" rep. I was able to get some channels back, but not all of them (I do know that when this has happened in the past, it sometimes takes a couple of hours for all the channels to show up.) I just took the additional step of hard rebooting the TiVo box again and swapping out the USB connection of the tuning adapter and my wireless adapter. This always seems to work, but I don't think that I should be having to do this EVERY TIME my SDV Channels disappear. Can anyone here shed some insight into this? The Level 3 Rep suggested that I swap out my tuning adapter for a new one, which I'll do later this week, but I'm worried about that not being properly authorized and having the same issue all over again.

I'm at the end of my rope with Time Warner and can't wait for FIOS to be available in our building (our board is already looking into this!)

Thank
Emmett
What do you mean by 'disappearing'? Do the channels fail to tune with a message about 'not authorized' or 'not provided by the TA'? Do you just get a black screen? Something else?
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #5563
Teeps

Last time I had problems with poor reception, channels missing, etc.; was because the squirrels had chewed the cable out on the pole.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #5564
Joey Bagadonuts

Had to share this experience my girl friend had with Anaheim CA Time Warner today. We're trying to cut expenses and, of course one area we're looking at is our cable bill. Currently, we get about 9000 cable channels (and watch about 6 of them!) and we have TWC Road Runner Internet (15mb download). We're paying around $180 a month for cable/internet. With our recent bill in front of her, she called TWC to try and figure out where we could cut back. She made the mistake of assuming Time Warner was as customer friendly as Verizon. Ha! Of course the Time Warner "Customer Service" Rep (there's an oxymoron if I ever heard one!) not only said we have exactly what need but tried to upsell her to adding an additional 5mb's of download speed for "only another $10 a month". Here she calls TWC to try and cut costs and instead the Rep is trying to add to our expenses. Nice. But the icing on the cake was when the CSR said that to best assess our needs, she would have to send a sales rep out to our house. Are you f'ing kidding me? That's like Verizon saying, "Well, to best determine what your needs are, you should bring your cell phone into a Verizon store". Not knowing any better, she agreed to having a sales rep come to our house. When she shared the story with me, that appointment was immediately canceled. If there are any TWC employees reading this, I have but one question for you: "How can you look yourself in the mirror every morning"?
Joey Bagadonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #5565
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Is there a new 1601 firmware update available for the Cisco 1520 TA? Does Austin have latest firmware?
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #5566
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
Is there a new 1601 firmware update available for the Cisco 1520 TA? Does Austin have latest firmware?
F.1601 is the latest Firmware for the Cisco TA. There are tracking threads on the Windows Community Forum, From what I have seen most TWC markets are using F.1501

http://experts.windows.com/frms/wind...x?PageIndex=10

http://experts.windows.com/frms/wind...13/552104.aspx

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #5567
iron maiden

Quick question from a newbie about to re-enter the Tivo world after several years. I have TWC in Portland, Maine. My understanding is that I need an M card and a TA for my install. My question is will I lose the on-demand channels with Tivo? The local office is predictably clueless about this.
iron maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #5568
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron maiden
Quick question from a newbie about to re-enter the Tivo world after several years. I have TWC in Portland, Maine. My understanding is that I need an M card and a TA for my install. My question is will I lose the on-demand channels with Tivo? The local office is predictably clueless about this.
Yes.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:29 AM   #5569
kevin120

Any one in Waco or Austin Texas get a letter about more channels going SDV?

Has anyone gotten a letter in Austin or Waco mentioning additional channels going SDV?

I noticed that TWC has listed some channels to be moved around on clear QAM in Waco and Austin probably to make room for more SDV QAMs. They are moving locals off of RF 84 Waco - (KXXV ABC HD, KXXV weather, KXXV Telemundo) Austin - (KXAN NBC HD, KNVA CW HD) in their monthly legal notices in the newspaper.

When TWC moved clear QAM channels around here last year in North Texas we gained 8 new SDV QAMs on:

687MHz
693MHz
699MHz
705MHz
711MHz
717MHz
723MHz
729MHz

and 4 more VOD QAMs on:
603MHz
609MHz
615MHz
621MHz

I suspect that Austin and Waco are getting 8 more SDV QAMs to a node which probably means more HD is coming shortly after the changes on june 19th (Austin) and June 26th (Waco).

TWC North Texas gained these after the new SDV QAMs were activated:
E! HD
Style HD
Sportsman Channel HD
Ovation HD
Reelz Channel HD
OWN HD
Bloomberg HD
Oxygen HD
IFC HD
Hub HD
Fox Deportes HD
Showtime Extreme HD
Showtime Next HD
Showtime Beyond HD
Showtime Women HD
GAME2 HD
TMC Xtra HD
MoreMAX HD
ThrillerMAX HD
kevin120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:36 AM   #5570
kevin120

Any one in Waco or Austin Texas get a letter about more channels going SDV?

duplicate
kevin120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #5571
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Question about CableCARD decryption

I'm having a problem with 10 minute gaps in recorded programs that can't be accessed by scrubbing although they take up time on the progress bar -- I posted the details here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...39#post9138539
Since most other likely causes are eliminated (see linked post) I'm wondering if defective CableCARD's could cause this. Do the CC's do continous processing (decrypting) of the digital stream or do they just furnish decryption keys to the TiVo at specific times, such as when tuning a new channel, in which case what I'm seeing could not be explained by a CC problem. unless the "specific times" occur many times during a program.

I'm posting this here because I know there is at least one person who reads this thread who can answer this question.

and
Old 06-18-2012, 06:10 AM   #5572
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I'm having a problem with 10 minute gaps in recorded programs that can't be accessed by scrubbing although they take up time on the progress bar -- I posted the details here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...39#post9138539
Since most other likely causes are eliminated (see linked post) I'm wondering if defective CableCARD's could cause this. Do the CC's do continous processing (decrypting) of the digital stream or do they just furnish decryption keys to the TiVo at specific times, such as when tuning a new channel, in which case what I'm seeing could not be explained by a CC problem. unless the "specific times" occur many times during a program.

I'm posting this here because I know there is at least one person who reads this thread who can answer this question.
There are two separate 'encrypt/decrypt' domains going on with a cablecard. The cablecard decrypts the stream from the cable system (Cablecard spec calls it 'CA' 'conditional access' ie Powerkey for Cisco). Once it is decrypted it is then reencrypted and sent to the TiVo. Ive seen little detail for Cisco Powerkey and how it manages keys. For the downtream 'CP' 'copy protection' encryption, there is an algorighm for periodically refreshing the keys. Cablecard will send unencrypted for a short period while it and the TiVo negotiate for a new key.

"The Card initiates CPKey generation at the following times:
• After completion of the authentication process;
• Periodically at a rate set by max_key_session_period;
• At every power cycle;
• When initiated by the CA System; and
• At every hard (PCMCIA) reset.
Channel change does not cause a key refresh to occur."

Ive seen the 'gap' in programs issue before... but fortunately not lately.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #5573
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
There are two separate 'encrypt/decrypt' domains going on with a cablecard. The cablecard decrypts the stream from the cable system (Cablecard spec calls it 'CA' 'conditional access' ie Powerkey for Cisco). Once it is decrypted it is then reencrypted and sent to the TiVo. Ive seen little detail for Cisco Powerkey and how it manages keys. For the downtream 'CP' 'copy protection' encryption, there is an algorighm for periodically refreshing the keys. Cablecard will send unencrypted for a short period while it and the TiVo negotiate for a new key.

"The Card initiates CPKey generation at the following times:
• After completion of the authentication process;
• Periodically at a rate set by max_key_session_period;
• At every power cycle;
• When initiated by the CA System; and
• At every hard (PCMCIA) reset.
Channel change does not cause a key refresh to occur."

Ive seen the 'gap' in programs issue before... but fortunately not lately.
Thanks. Does the periodic CPKey refresh involve just the TiVo and Card, or is communication with the cable plant required? Also, do you know what value max_key_session_period typically has? I can't find it anywhere in the diagnostic menus. I'm wondering if it would correspond to the 9 or 10 minute gaps I had.

and
Old 06-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #5574
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Thanks. Does the periodic CPKey refresh involve just the TiVo and Card, or is communication with the cable plant required? Also, do you know what value max_key_session_period typically has? I can't find it anywhere in the diagnostic menus. I'm wondering if it would correspond to the 9 or 10 minute gaps I had.
I expect that its handled locally within the cablecard without regard to the CA side.

Are you seeing 'still pictures' during the gap or just a chunk of the show missing? Is there pixelation at the start and end of the gaps? Sound?
Old 06-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #5575
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I expect that its handled locally within the cablecard without regard to the CA side.

Are you seeing 'still pictures' during the gap or just a chunk of the show missing? Is there pixelation at the start and end of the gaps? Sound?
I can't navigate to inside the gap -- so the question of what video or audio exists there is unanswerable. The gap occupies time on the navigation bar, but navigation jumps over it, or stalls at the gap boundary. I get pixelation on transitions between program and commercials and during commercials on many cable channels -- but never during program content (or I would suspect a HDD problem). I also get a short burst of pixelation a few seconds after tuning most cable channels. This stuff doesn't happen on OTA channels, BTW. Note that as previously mentioned: no RS errors.

I caught a 6 minute gap while watching a channel yesterday and was able to determine it was using CableCARD #2. The video froze on a still picture, with no audio, when the gap started but after I tried switching tuners or going to the DVR Diagnostics menu and returned to the channel, the video was blank. All values in DVR Diagnostics were nominal during the gap. The "time since tune start" did NOT reset either during or after the gap.

and
Old 07-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #5576
prepster

Thank God for this forum! Thanks all for the info you provide.

This morning I had pixelation issues and was missing one channel. I called the regular Time Warner support number. Instead of fixing my issues, they sent a signal and wiped out ALL of my channels. The only solution they offered was to send a tech to my home next week. I explained several times that this could be taken care of with a phone call, but I was told over and over by a supervisor that the only thing he could do was send a tech.

I stumbled across the Cable Card hotline on this forum at 1-866-532-2598. Within five minutes, the support person had all my channels back up and running.

It is a shame that their is no communication between traditional support and this Cable Card Hotline.
prepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #5577
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Still? After all this time? Sheesh. It's a shame that TWC *still* doesn't know how to handle this properly. You expect these issues a few weeks after a new product comes out. Not YEARS and YEARS later.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #5578
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Still? After all this time? Sheesh. It's a shame that TWC *still* doesn't know how to handle this properly. You expect these issues a few weeks after a new product comes out. Not YEARS and YEARS later.
When a problem affects less than 1% of their customers, fixing it may take forever, especially considering:
1. There's a pretty good chance they won't lose TiVo owners as customers. Most will either suffer along or abandon TiVo for cable co boxes.
2. It's all they can do to train their support reps to handle common problems, let alone the unusual ones associated with TiVo's.

and
Old 07-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #5579
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Still, you'd think there'd be a simple "script" triggered by two words: "tivo" and "cablecard." The answer being, "call 1-866-532-2598"

It's the same idiotic song and dance, year in and year out. Time Warner loses money every time their CSRs waste time on this, and when they send out techs for days and days, all of whom do the wrong thing. Nearly every story I've read (and the one I experienced) would have been a lot shorter if they handled it right. It's always something to do with how the cable card's serial number (or whatever) is entered in their system. It's never fixed "onsite" by the stupid techs. There's no excuse for this inanity.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #5580
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Has to be cable plant signal problems, right?

Every week or two my TiVo HD loses tuning capability for ALL cable channels (not just SDV channels). Rebooting the TiVo fixes the problem. I don't know if this is related to the recording "gap" problem just discussed in posts 5571 - 5575, but I tend to doubt it. (The gap problem has not repeated for a couple of weeks now.)

When this happens, the values in DVR diagnostics are all exactly as they would be for a channel that is successfully tuned. That includes good Signal Strength and SNR, no RS errors, Signal Lock=Yes, Program Lock=Yes, Search Complete = Yes, PCR, Audio, and Video PID's have values, and Time since Tune Start plus Time Since Signal Lock are counting up. Also, the channel frequency given in TA Diagnostics matches the one shown in DVR diagnostics.

The only way I have seen this happen is when the channel is not authorized for your account. (BTW is there any way in DVR or TA diagnostics to tell whether a channel is authorized?)

So what I guess is happening is that somehow authorization for all my cable channels is being lost and rebooting the TiVo gets it back. Note that I use two single-channel CableCARD's and both of them behave exactly the same when this happens. (Thus I find it hard to believe the problem is a defective card.)

I can't imagine any other cause for this than that the authorization of my channels is not being maintained by the cable plant. Does anyone know how this is supposed to happen? Does the cable plant periodically "push" the account authorizations? Or do the CableCARD's (or TA ??) periodically "pull" the authorizations? Or what?

EDIT: Need to add that OTA (via antenna) tuning capability is NOT lost -- just the cable channels.

and

Last edited by dlfl : 07-19-2012 at 12:12 PM.