TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-28-2011, 07:35 AM   #5431
Joey Bagadonuts

Over the past couple of weeks, I have encountered an issue with 2 of the 3 premiers I have recently purchased. When I fire up the TV, I see a black screen and a message that says something like the channel I am trying to receive isn't authorized. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! I have to reboot the TA and the DVR in order to get things back to normal. Anyone have thoughts on what's causing that?
Joey Bagadonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #5432
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bagadonuts View Post
Over the past couple of weeks, I have encountered an issue with 2 of the 3 premiers I have recently purchased. When I fire up the TV, I see a black screen and a message that says something like the channel I am trying to receive isn't authorized. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! I have to reboot the TA and the DVR in order to get things back to normal. Anyone have thoughts on what's causing that?
Be nice to know the exact message you get. I don't remember ever seeing one with "authorized" in it. The fact it only occurs on 2 of 3 (identical ?) units must mean something, such as signal quality differences due to cabling and splitters.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #5433
JJK1954
Beatle Freak!

It happens to me now and then. Try pressing the "Zoom" button of the Tivo remote. It should reset it.
JJK1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #5434
tlwizard

Quote:
Remember, I'm in Anahem which is Orange County so that's probably why I need a TA and Fofer, who I believe is in LA County doesn't (yet). As to which channels the TA affects: I haven't been able to quite figure that out. For example, when my TA went out a few weeks ago (it just needed a simple reboot), all but 2 of my HBO channels went out as well. Why I was able to still get a couple of HBO channels, I don't know. All of my Encore channels went out as did all of my Center Ice channels. But I was still able to get a majority of HD channels with the TA working.
Ah, ok. Thanks. My install is on Tuesday, so hopefully there's no TA and no troubles. Thanks again.
tlwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #5435
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Be nice to know the exact message you get. I don't remember ever seeing one with "authorized" in it. The fact it only occurs on 2 of 3 (identical ?) units must mean something, such as signal quality differences due to cabling and splitters.
Sorry about the lack of info. I was going on memory. When the problem reoccurs, I'll type back and share the message being displayed.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #5436
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJK1954 View Post
It happens to me now and then. Try pressing the "Zoom" button of the Tivo remote. It should reset it.
Thanks for the info! I'll give that a try.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #5437
MeInDallas

I get that same thing with TWC DVR's too. Usually I just change the channels around and then it works again.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #5438
SASouth

Quote:
-snip
He wasn't at all rude with me but he was adamant that the number he was at shouldn't have been posted and was supposed to be used for field techs only. As some other posters here have said, if TWC CS/TS had their act together, we wouldn't have to use back door numbers that aren't typically for public use.
Two things: I was given the phone number by a CS rep at the TWC store when I picked up the cable card. I didn't pull it off of any web site. I didn't know that customers were not supposed to call that number. I simply called the number I was given to activate the card.

Second, the person I spoke to was short with me and acted like I was just a nuisance even though he did go ahead and helped me. I applaud his knowledge and his ability to set up the cable card in the minimum amount of time. I just think he needs to work on his people skills.
SASouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #5439
SASouth

Quote:
-snip
He wasn't at all rude with me but he was adamant that the number he was at shouldn't have been posted and was supposed to be used for field techs only. As some other posters here have said, if TWC CS/TS had their act together, we wouldn't have to use back door numbers that aren't typically for public use.
Two things: I was given the phone number by a CS rep at the TWC store when I picked up the cable card. I didn't pull it off of any web site. I didn't know that customers were not supposed to call that number. I simply called the number I was given to activate the card.

Second, the person I spoke to, even though he went ahead and helped me, was short with me and acted like I was just a nuisance. I applaud his knowledge and his ability to set up the cable card in the minimum amount of time. I just think he needs to work on his people skills.
SASouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #5440
Cspot

I used the 5889 number this morning, on hold for 30 minutes, decided to leave a voice-mail to see if that process works. I also included the CableCard ID/Host ID information along with my other contact info in hopes they would make it happen.

5 hrs and counting....
Cspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #5441
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cspot View Post
I used the 5889 number this morning, on hold for 30 minutes, decided to leave a voice-mail to see if that process works. I also included the CableCard ID/Host ID information along with my other contact info in hopes they would make it happen.

5 hrs and counting....
I tried that method, too (leaving voice mail). If I remember correctly,their message was that a tech would return my call within 24 hours. It's been about a month, maybe a month and a half since I left that message....still waiting....
Old 10-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #5442
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASouth View Post

Second, the person I spoke to, even though he went ahead and helped me, was short with me and acted like I was just a nuisance. I applaud his knowledge and his ability to set up the cable card in the minimum amount of time. I just think he needs to work on his people skills.
I was just passing on what the tech told me. I'm not blaming anyone for ending up at that number. Heck, I was transferred to that number by a TWC Rep. But I had seen the number posted here (or maybe it was in another TWC-related forum) and the tech I spoke with said it shouldn't have been posted because it was set up for field techs only. The guy I spoke with was polite but, if the information on this board is right, that desk is only manned by a few techs and they're undoubtedly inundated with calls - not only from field techs but now from customers as well. Everyone is entitled to having a bad day now and then.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #5443
Cspot

Quote:
I tried that method, too (leaving voice mail). If I remember correctly,their message was that a tech would return my call within 24 hours. It's been about a month, maybe a month and a half since I left that message....still waiting....
Based on that comment, just called back, 10 mins on hold, 5 mins to pair. Waiting on TA now, 3 blinks at the moment.

Edit: all good, so looks like the folks in Dayton can expect a reasonably painless self install.

Last edited by Cspot : 10-29-2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Update
Old 10-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #5444
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cspot View Post
Based on that comment, just called back, 10 mins on hold, 5 mins to pair. Waiting on TA now, 3 blinks at the moment.

Edit: all good, so looks like the folks in Dayton can expect a reasonably painless self install.
Kind of hard to keep track of that number you "just called back". Was it the 2598 number, the 5889 number or what?

Greetings fellow Dayton-area person. I hope your experience with your TA is better than mine has been. Our area (Englewood) had an outage early Saturday morning (10/29/2011) and (naturally) I was missing some SDV channels after that and had to reboot the TA and re-acquire the channel map. Then there are the tuning failures and missed recordings because of them. I called TWC tech support during the outage and the automated system took my phone number and said it would call when the outage was fixed. Guess what? No call.

and
Old 10-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #5445
Cspot

Quote:
Kind of hard to keep track of that number you "just called back". Was it the 2598 number, the 5889 number or what?

Greetings fellow Dayton-area person. I hope your experience with your TA is better than mine has been. Our area (Englewood) had an outage early Saturday morning (10/29/2011) and (naturally) I was missing some SDV channels after that and had to reboot the TA and re-acquire the channel map. Then there are the tuning failures and missed recordings because of them. I called TWC tech support during the outage and the automated system took my phone number and said it would call when the outage was fixed. Guess what? No call.
The 5889 number, Jeff is who took the call. He asked if I was an installer or customer, confirmed my identity, asked for the Host ID/CableCard ID, repeated it, then without much explanation, rattled off the two pages to review -- under CableCARD Menu.

1. Cisco CableCARD CA Screen: check for EMMs which I had
2. Cisco CableCARD CP Info: Auth status: Waiting for auth

He said give it 10 minutes and everything should be good. The call was over.

After about 5 minutes all the current, non-SDV (since TA wasn't inline yet) stations I'm supposed to receive were now working.

Added TA to the loop, 3-blinks occurred for about 10 mins, then the 8-blinks started, few minutes later solid light, all the SDV channels were now in the listing and viewable.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #5446
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
OK, well now it has occurred on all 3 of my Premiers and the message displayed is "This channel is not authorized. Contact your cable provider for more information". Arrrrrrrrgh Tried the Zoom button the remote with no luck. Had to restart the system. Which brings to light another question: Why, when just about every other device I have is able to boot up in seconds, does it take the Premier several minutes to reboot?
Old 11-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #5447
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
OK, well now it has occurred on all 3 of my Premiers and the message displayed is "This channel is not authorized. Contact your cable provider for more information". Arrrrrrrrgh Tried the Zoom button on the remote with no luck. Had to restart the system. Which brings to light another question: Why, when just about every other device I have is able to boot up in seconds, does it take the Premier several minutes to reboot?
Old 11-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #5448
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
OK, well now it has occurred on all 3 of my Premiers and the message displayed is "This channel is not authorized. Contact your cable provider for more information". Arrrrrrrrgh Tried the Zoom button on the remote with no luck. Had to restart the system. Which brings to light another question: Why, when just about every other device I have is able to boot up in seconds, does it take the Premier several minutes to reboot?
Maybe the messages are different on Premieres. On my THD the message is something like "This channel is not provided by the Tuning Adapter. Contact your cable provider...." I suspect it means the same thing. Some combinatin of rebooting the TA, rebooting the TiVo and cycling the USB connection always gets my channels back.

However, another thing to try is call local TWC support and ask the rep to go to the "Customer Balancing" screen and hit the enter key. They may have their list of authorized channels that they send to CableCARD and TA's screwed up. In that case only fixing that list will fix the problem. I think you've already tried the National Cable Card Support desk (2598 number) but if nothing else works, call them back.

and
Old 11-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #5449
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Maybe the messages are different on Premieres. On my THD the message is something like "This channel is not provided by the Tuning Adapter. Contact your cable provider...." I suspect it means the same thing. Some combinatin of rebooting the TA, rebooting the TiVo and cycling the USB connection always gets my channels back.

However, another thing to try is call local TWC support and ask the rep to go to the "Customer Balancing" screen and hit the enter key. They may have their list of authorized channels that they send to CableCARD and TA's screwed up. In that case only fixing that list will fix the problem. I think you've already tried the National Cable Card Support desk (2598 number) but if nothing else works, call them back.
Thanks for the suggestions. I already rebooted and that cleared the problem. Next time it occurs I'll call TWC and have them execute the customer balancing process.

Thanks again...
Old 11-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #5450
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
A friend's friend recently wanted to upgrade her whole home entertainment system. So Monday she purchased a Premiere, iPad and Airport Extreme. On Tuesday she hooked it all up - Time Warner was scheduled to come Wednesday. They did.

It's Thursday. She still doesn't have all her channels. The Time Warner tech botched the install.

TiVo hookup was fine, Internet was fine, Airport Extreme and iPad... all fine.

But when it comes to the CableCARD & TiVo YET AGAIN they show their complete ignorance and stupidity.

Good job, TW.

It took me 3 visits to get mine working over a year ago. Bets on how long it'll take my friend's friend?
My friend's TiVo is working now.

A week later. Multiple phone calls. And a 2nd visit from a 30 year veteran employee who had to spend 2.5 hours on the phone.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #5451
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm with you, cwoody222. This whole situation remains absurd.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #5452
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
My friend's TiVo is working now.

A week later. Multiple phone calls. And a 2nd visit from a 30 year veteran employee who had to spend 2.5 hours on the phone.
OK, show of hands....are the TWC Techs truly this inept or have they been instructed to play dumb when dealing with TiVo customers to make some sort of point? I vote the latter.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #5453
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
If so, they are great actors.

I vote the former. It's just the lowest of low priorities over there. They don't care and they don't care that they don't care...

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #5454
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
If so, they are great actors.

I vote the former. It's just the lowest of low priorities over there. They don't care and they don't care that they don't care...
Well, then they should get academy awards. I don't know what line of work you're in but, in my world, if an employee of mine was as inept at their job as some of the TWC CS' and field techs are, they'd be in the unemployment line. Which is why I wonder, are they truly that ignorant?

I don't know if you saw my previous posts about my M card issue with my local TWC store. I went there one Saturday and picked up 2 M cards and 2 TA's with no problem. 2 weeks later, after we purchased a 3rd Premier, I was working so my roommate went back to get a 3rd m card and TA and she was denied. She was told whoever had given out the earlier cards had "violated company policy" (she was given the TA with no issue). So I called TWC TS and raised a ruckus and they rolled a truck and assured me they'd waive the $29.99 charge. Yeah, guess what showed up on my next cable bill - $29.99 for the truck roll for the m card delivery and install. I just can't believe a company allows their employees to be that diminished. And if any TWC CS people are reading this, I'll apologize in advance for the generalization but, as you have undoubtedly read on these TWC forums, you have the deserved reputation of not being the sharpest knives in the drawer.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #5455
cwoody222

When my first tech came out to install TWO cards in the TWO slots that were located right next to each other in the back of my Series 3 he put one card in. Then he took the other card in his hand and started to walk down the hall. To look for "the other TV that needs the other card". That was after he tried to stick the first card into the TV (that had no card slots) even though my TiVo was clearly pulled out for his easy access.

I guess the empty, identical slot directly above the one he just stuck a card in wasn't enough of a clue to him so he had to go find a TV to stick it into.

So yea, they're REALLY that inept. Absolute. ****ing. Morons.

And remember, my friend this time requested a SDV TA. But the tech didn't bring one (ignoring the customer request) because he said "she didn't need one". Even though EVERY SINGLE TIVO WITH CABLE CARDS IN THIS AREA does.

So does he get it wrong every single time?

And how could it take TWO AND A HALF HOURS to get it set up over the phone? I thought - according to the shills in this thread - that there are like 6 people working the national CableCARD line. So can't Time Warner properly train SIX PEOPLE?

Oh, and I will not apologize for any generalization because 99% that I've talked to are completely inept, arrogant, and in no way whatsoever should be employed.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:51 PM   #5456
cwoody222

Oh, and meanwhile my recording of Workaholics last night and American Horror Story tonight both didn't record due to SDV failed channel changes.

When I complain to TW about this all they offer to do is send a tech to "check my signal levels". Really?

I ignore their requests to set up an appointment. I have no time in my life for them to come here to do nothing that will solve something that is a software issue (partly on TiVo's end, to be fair).
Old 11-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #5457
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I think they take people who are too stupid to work for the TSA and hire them at Time Warner. This entire group is too stupid to work at McDonald's.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:55 AM   #5458
SCSIRAID

Quote:
OK, show of hands....are the TWC Techs truly this inept or have they been instructed to play dumb when dealing with TiVo customers to make some sort of point? I vote the latter.
I dont think it is either of those choices... I think they are simply not well trained on CC's or TA's and given the low number of TiVo's in their customer base the basic TWC techs have little to no experience with them.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #5459
cwoody222

The six people who answer the phones at the national help line aren't trained?

A 30-year veteran isn't trained (or motivated enough to educate himself)?

A tech is sent out without the basic knowledge of what a SDV TA does and when it should be used?

The FCC has MANDATED that cable companies allow self-installs. That should lead one to believe the FCC believes this should be an easy process.

Is a TW tech supposed to know less than a customer?
Old 11-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #5460
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
..........The FCC has MANDATED that cable companies allow self-installs. That should lead one to believe the FCC believes this should be an easy process.

Is a TW tech supposed to know less than a customer?
I believe the answer is "yes" as far as the Cable Cos are concerned, although they will never take that position publicly .... because "...the FCC has MANDATED.." etc.

This is nothing new and it's not going to change. TiVo (i.e., CableCARD and Tuning Adapter) are something they don't want and are a PITA that has been forced on them. It takes a lot more FCC enforcement than we'll ever have to push that noodle. The cable techs know the things that are of core interest to the company.

and