TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #5401
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWCableHelp View Post
Hello-- I just wanted to let everyone know that we're aware of the complaints posted here regarding the wait times to get through on our self-install line. We'd like to offer our apologies, as we do not want our customers to have to wait for assistance. We have seen an increase in customer interest in Cable Cards since we began offering a self install option, and we are working to resolve the situation by adding additional staff during peak calling periods in the near future. Thank you for your patience, and again, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you have experienced.

Phil B.
Customer Service Manager
Time Warner Cable
Yea, Phil. You guys must just be so swamped.

MSOs Deployed Only 3,000 Net New Standalone CableCards In Last Three Months
http://www.multichannel.com/article/...ree_Months.php

Especially since the call is so complicated. Your CSRs have to listen to a number and type it in.

Your techs had to call in numbers also when they did installs. So whether it's your tech calling from a customer's home or a customer calling you themselves, it's still the same volume of people calling. So where did this increased volume come from?

Bottom line: your customer service for CableCard sucks. Always has. Always will.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #5402
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysalesguy View Post
Can someone tell me why you would need two cablecards?
Back in the day there were single-stream cards and multi-stream cards. Single-stream cards can only decode 1 channel at a time. Multi-stream cards can do 2.

The original Series 3 units can use both cards but it sees an M-card as a S-card. So the original Series 3 units MUST have 2 cards installed (even if they're M-cards).

The later Series 3 can either use 2 S-cards or 1 M-card.

The Premiere units can only use 1 M-card.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #5403
MC Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
Yea, Phil. You guys must just be so swamped.

MSOs Deployed Only 3,000 Net New Standalone CableCards In Last Three Months
http://www.multichannel.com/article/...ree_Months.php

Especially since the call is so complicated. Your CSRs have to listen to a number and type it in.

Your techs had to call in numbers also when they did installs. So whether it's your tech calling from a customer's home or a customer calling you themselves, it's still the same volume of people calling. So where did this increased volume come from?

Bottom line: your customer service for CableCard sucks. Always has. Always will.
When truckrolls were required, the tech was calling dispatch. With self installs, you are calling a external support number. Huge difference there, bud.
MC Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #5404
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah, with self installs, it should be even MORE straightforward.

Insert card. Navigate TiVo menus. Call a phone number. Read a number off a screen. Done.

This isn't rocket science...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #5405
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Hello-- I just wanted to let everyone know that we're aware of the complaints posted here regarding the wait times to get through on our self-install line. We'd like to offer our apologies, as we do not want our customers to have to wait for assistance. We have seen an increase in customer interest in Cable Cards since we began offering a self install option, and we are working to resolve the situation by adding additional staff during peak calling periods in the near future. Thank you for your patience, and again, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you have experienced.

Phil B.
Customer Service Manager
Time Warner Cable
Glad you're reading the forum, Phil. I have a question for you:
Various different CableCARD self-install phone numbers have popped up in different TWC regions. Do these all actually go to the NCCS support desk (North Carolina, I think), the one with the phone # ending in 2598 ?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #5406
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Hammer View Post
When truckrolls were required, the tech was calling dispatch. With self installs, you are calling a external support number. Huge difference there, bud.
Well then, the dispatch should be receiving less calls now. Shift resources.

Easy.

As Fof says, this isn't rocket science.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #5407
TWCableHelp
TWCableHelp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Various different CableCARD self-install phone numbers have popped up in different TWC regions.
Which numbers are you referring to?

-Phil
TWCableHelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #5408
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysalesguy View Post
Can someone tell me why you would need two cablecards?
You need two cablecards:

a) if you are using the original Tivo Series 3 (OLED Display). The design does not support the M-Card with multistream capability

b) if your cableco is only giving you S-Cards (single stream versions).
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #5409
MC Hammer

Quote:
Well then, the dispatch should be receiving less calls now. Shift resources.

Easy.

As Fof says, this isn't rocket science.
The decrease in calls to dispatch regarding CableCARD installations is negligible as they make up less than 1% of the total call volume day to day. Certainly, not impacting it enough that would cost justify a shift of resources.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #5410
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Which numbers are you referring to?

-Phil
OK, following are a few I picked up from the last three pages of this thread: By clicking on the little > sign at the end of each quoted poster's name, you can go that post and see more details.

So I'm still wondering: Are these numbers actually going to different places, or all being redirected to one site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bagadonuts View Post
The numbers provided on the install pamphlet provided by the TWC office are 877-309-5859 for in CA and 877-893-2205 for out of CA. You will be asked for the SN, the Host Number (xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-x), and the Data Number (xxx-xxx-xxx-xx).
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3000 View Post
Try the TW National Cable Card hotline: 1-866-532-2598

They got my TA going in 30 seconds after 2 different CS guys had no freaking idea what they were doing. Just tell them you were transferred from another CS agent since you're not supposed to just call them directly. But then most CS agents have no idea about the number so it's like a Catch 22 then.

Also file a complaint against the FCC for not training their employees on something they're legally required to support. I did after my ridiculous blotched CC install, and got a phone call today apologizing for 10 minutes and got some free cable/internet out of it.
This is the "2598" number I referred to -- been around for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin1497 View Post
The number I called was on their website:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/texas...ashx/cablecard

And yes, their contract field guys had failed miserably. The only defense I have for those guys is that they aren't allowed to call into TWC to pair the cards -- they actually have to call their office and relay the info to TWC. That said, it's pretty tough to screw up writing down a couple numbers and repeating them. The fact that they cratered the first 2 cards is kinda funny, but it cost me about a week getting up and running...

and
Old 10-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #5411
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
The decrease in calls to dispatch regarding CableCARD installations is negligible as they make up less than 1% of the total call volume day to day. .......
Can't help wondering if that's still true, given the self-install calls that started recently. (??)

and
Old 10-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #5412
TWCableHelp
TWCableHelp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
OK, following are a few I picked up from the last three pages of this thread: By clicking on the little > sign at the end of each quoted poster's name, you can go that post and see more details.

So I'm still wondering: Are these numbers actually going to different places, or all being redirected to one site?
Thanks. To answer your question, no, all traffic is not routed to one site. Most of the West Region markets (IE San Diego, LA, Hawaii, etc) are handled separately from markets in the NE, Ohio, Carolinas, etc. We recognize that there are wait times, particularly in the evening, and we will be addressing this soon.

Phil
TWCableHelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #5413
shaggy314

Smile

Quote:
Thanks. To answer your question, no, all traffic is not routed to one site. Most of the West Region markets (IE San Diego, LA, Hawaii, etc) are handled separately from markets in the NE, Ohio, Carolinas, etc. We recognize that there are wait times, particularly in the evening, and we will be addressing this soon.

Phil
And see, i called yet another number: 866-606-5889 (the self installs only line)... and that was a number I had to find here.

-JB
P.S. Please give Bob a raise and have him teach the poor T1 agents who seem to have conflicting or confusing instructions for CC & TA activations. I base this not just on the fact he got it working, but that Late Night Bob had plan and didn't seem to be winging it with multiple holds to check with their resources.

Last edited by shaggy314 : 10-07-2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: better wording
shaggy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #5414
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Yeah, with self installs, it should be even MORE straightforward.

Insert card. Navigate TiVo menus. Call a phone number. Read a number off a screen. Done.

This isn't rocket science...
You're right it is straight forward when it goes smooth like that. What happens if your card is not staged, or the card does not get a channel map? That is not as straight forward as just typing in numbers.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #5415
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy314 View Post
And see, i called yet another number: 866-606-5889 (the self installs only line)... and that was a number I had to find here.

-JB
P.S. Please give Bob a raise and have him teach the poor T1 agents who seem to have conflicting or confusing instructions for CC & TA activations. I base this not just on the fact he got it working, but that Late Night Bob had plan and didn't seem to be winging it with multiple holds to check with their resources.
That number is also directed to the NCCSD so there is still just 2-3 people nationwide taking all these calls.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #5416
wtherrell

TWC Huntersville had CC and TA in stock today.

Picked up cable card and TA at local office today. No problem. I did not call ahead or anything. Just walked in and asked for them. Now when my Elite gets here I will try some of the numbers in this thread. Although the Rep. at the office said just to call CS. Based on past experience they will just transfer me to Cable Card / TA office.
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:36 AM   #5417
tlwizard

We're looking at getting TWC here in the LA-area (Venice) and wanted to see if anyone had good experiences with them here. They appear to be running a bundle that is 89.99/mo after recurring discounts that includes TV service (200 channels) with the variety tier, 10Mbps internet and phone. What's the HD quality like?

Unfortunately, we just moved here and thought that we could bring our FiOS with us, but alas. So now it's either DirecTV or TWC, and I can't keep our Tivos with DTV.

What's the deal with the tuning adapter? Does TWC and Premiere XL not play nice together without it? Is is something else that I will need to plug in or does it run off power from the coax cable?

I feel like I've heard nothing but horror stories about TWC, but I can't imagine having a worse experience than the one I had with DirecTV many years ago (not that I want anything less than an amazing experience with TWC - which was what I had with FiOS.)
tlwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #5418
dlfl
Cranky old novice

If you had Verizon FIOS, nothing else will be quite as good. Frontier FIOS has had more mixed reviews here.

Whether you need a Tuning Adapter depends solely on whether your cable system uses SDV, see the sticky thread on SDV at the top of this forum. If you need a TA but don't have one you will be missing a lot of channels you're paying for. My impression from posts here is that a number of systems in the LA area are going to SDV recently. TA's are furnished free by the cable co, unless you value the time you may waste trying to get (and keep) it working properly -- many horror stories have been posted here.

Good luck with TWC -- experiences vary and some of them are very bad. I would still choose TWC cable over DirecTV overall though, primarily due to DirecTV's less attractive policies on commitments and equipment ownership.

and
Old 10-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #5419
Eccles
Mostly harmless

I'd add that although TW may not be using SDV right now, the writing is on the wall and eventually they'll use them everywhere as they cram ever more channels into their available bandwidth.
150-hour Premiere XL (Lifetime)
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #5420
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlwizard View Post
We're looking at getting TWC here in the LA-area (Venice) and wanted to see if anyone had good experiences with them here. They appear to be running a bundle that is 89.99/mo after recurring discounts that includes TV service (200 channels) with the variety tier, 10Mbps internet and phone. What's the HD quality like?

Unfortunately, we just moved here and thought that we could bring our FiOS with us, but alas. So now it's either DirecTV or TWC, and I can't keep our Tivos with DTV.

What's the deal with the tuning adapter? Does TWC and Premiere XL not play nice together without it? Is is something else that I will need to plug in or does it run off power from the coax cable?

I feel like I've heard nothing but horror stories about TWC, but I can't imagine having a worse experience than the one I had with DirecTV many years ago (not that I want anything less than an amazing experience with TWC - which was what I had with FiOS.)
Welcome to L.A.. I'm in Anaheim which, if you don't know the area is about 1-14 hours (depending on the L.A. traffic) SE of you. Unfortunately, I have been one of the many TWC horror stories here. For some reason, in the L.A. area at least, TWC folks want to make it as difficult as they can for us TiVo folks. At first I thought they were just pissed off about the DVR and set top box revenue they was losing to TiVo users but there has to be more to it. Even after the Feds stepped in and instituted some regulations, TWC still isn't playing by the rules. The bad news is, they're pretty much the only game in town for TiVo users. As far as HD quality, I haven't had any problems. And their internet service ("Road Runner") has been excellent. Unfortunately, when it comes to TWC and TiVo and tuning adapters and CableCards, you might be in for a bumpy ride. The tuning adapter is about the size of a cable modem and is AC powered. The cable line coming in from the outside goes into the tuning adapter and a second coax cable comes out of the tuning adapter and goes into the DVR (there is also a USB cable that goes from the tuning adapter to the DVR but all necessary cables are provided with the tuning adapter which is free from TWC). Your TV connects to TiVo via an HDMI cable which comes with the TiVo DVR. My advice is to talk with your local TWC office and find out if they're playing by FCC rules or not (meaning, do they provide self installation CableCards). If they're not playing by the rules then you'll have to call TWC tech support, speak with a supervisor and arrange for a truck roll. Insist that the $29.99 they normally charge for that is waived, being that you tried to get the CableCard(s) yourself. Assuming the truck roll is necessary and you were told the charge would be waived, make sure to check your next bill because, as hard as this may be to believe, sometimes the tech people and the billing people at TWC aren't on the same page and you may see the $29.99 charge. I am speaking from experience as, that is what I am dealing with right now. The local TWC office refused to provide a self install CableCard (the M Card) and I had to call and complain to tech support. They sent a truck and even though I was assured there'd be no charge, low and behold when I got the next bill, there was a $29.99 charge. Sometimes I miss the days of the rabbit ears and only having 3 or 4 channels to worry about. OK, I don't miss 'em that much.
Joey Bagadonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #5421
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Same area here, so let me repost my recent experience:
Quote:
I called to try and add the Choice Tier. That didn't work out so well, no new channels were appearing, so I called again. What followed was nightmare of epic proportions as TWC had to send technicians out to my house, about 5 times over the course of three weeks... as they ran new cabling to my house, swapped my CableCard (three times,) ran new cabling again. Of course along the way... I lost authorization to all my non-local cable channels. Basically had no TV for the better part of a month. So they came back again and this time had me uninstall my TiVo (!) so they could take it to another neighborhood "node," hook it up to a pole there and try to get my channels authorized again. Every tech giving a different excuse from the next, all of them clueless and nobody knowing how to get my *&^%%$ channels back.

At one point they actually blamed the summer heat; that it must have been affecting the cabling and weakened it to the point where channel authorizations wouldn't go through. That if we tried later in the night when it cooled down, it'd probably go through.

In the end, of course, as I'd insisted it would be from minute #1, it turned out to be an authorization issue with my account in their system. A kind woman named Karla, higher up in the advanced technical support group, sorted it out for me.

I will never be so bold as to try to add any channels again to my TWC lineup. They're a complete joke when it comes to TiVos and cable cards. Never again.
Thankfully, I have not had to deal with the Tuning Adapter, at least not yet. At some point in my saga, some of the clueless employees suggested that maybe I needed one and that was the problem. (Really, nobody had any clue.) In the end, it's working now, so clearly the lack of the TA wasn't the issue, either.

I have since dropped the Choice and Movie tiers and considering dropping more. The less I have to deal with TWC the happier I am. The fact of the matter is, I am watching my AppleTVs, Roku, Vudu and iPad more than any recorded television these days.

I think if a Tuning Adapter became a necessity here, that would be my final straw; I'll just cancel my cable TV subscription and start using OTA instead. Or maybe just go down to basic cable...

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 10-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #5422
tlwizard

Thanks Fofer and Bagadonuts. So you guys are both in the LA area, but Bagadonuts uses the Tuning adapter and then Fofer you don't?

They're offering the Variety package with the bundle. They're also offering 3 free months of HBO. But will canceling HBO at the end of 3 months be a huge hassle (and make the three free months not worth it?)

I am happy that there's no annual contract. FiOS said they're actively working on getting FiOS to my building. It goes to every building around mine, they just never ran the fiber cables from the pole to our building. But they have no ETA as to when that will be done.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #5423
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
No TA here (yet.) I hope it never comes but I know that's unrealistic. I hope that if/when it does come, it's for crappy channels I don't care about so I can just not install it. If I have to install it for the few channels I actually do watch, I hope it just works and doesn't cause me a headache. Any more TWC headaches and I may just cancel the TV subscription entirely. Go down to basic cable only… or maybe just OTA. HD reception via rabbit ears to my TiVo Premiere was pretty good, last I checked.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #5424
tlwizard

Quote:
No TA here (yet.) I hope it never comes but I know that's unrealistic. I hope that if/when it does come, it's for crappy channels I don't care about so I can just not install it. If I have to install it for the few channels I actually do watch, I hope it just works and doesn't cause me a headache. Any more TWC headaches and I may just cancel the TV subscription entirely. Go down to basic cable only… or maybe just OTA. HD reception via rabbit ears to my TiVo Premiere was pretty good, last I checked.
Gotcha. What part of town are you in?

And I didn't realize the TA was just for some channels. Thought it might be for all. Bagadonuts, what channels are your TA used for?
Old 10-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #5425
cwoody222

A friend's friend recently wanted to upgrade her whole home entertainment system. So Monday she purchased a Premiere, iPad and Airport Extreme. On Tuesday she hooked it all up - Time Warner was scheduled to come Wednesday. They did.

It's Thursday. She still doesn't have all her channels. The Time Warner tech botched the install.

TiVo hookup was fine, Internet was fine, Airport Extreme and iPad... all fine.

But when it comes to the CableCARD & TiVo YET AGAIN they show their complete ignorance and stupidity.

Good job, TW.

It took me 3 visits to get mine working over a year ago. Bets on how long it'll take my friend's friend?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #5426
MC Hammer

Quote:
A friend's friend recently wanted to upgrade her whole home entertainment system. So Monday she purchased a Premiere, iPad and Airport Extreme. On Tuesday she hooked it all up - Time Warner was scheduled to come Wednesday. They did.

It's Thursday. She still doesn't have all her channels. The Time Warner tech botched the install.

TiVo hookup was fine, Internet was fine, Airport Extreme and iPad... all fine.

But when it comes to the CableCARD & TiVo YET AGAIN they show their complete ignorance and stupidity.

Good job, TW.

It took me 3 visits to get mine working over a year ago. Bets on how long it'll take my friend's friend?

If she calls 1-866-532-2598, 30 minutes tops.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:58 PM   #5427
SASouth

Quote:
If she calls 1-866-532-2598, 30 minutes tops.
Yep, the knowledge about how to set up cable cards definitely is at that number, but keep in mind that she'll probably get a lecture from the support rep on the phone telling her that the number she called is for field techs to call NOT customers. Then they'll probably go ahead and set it up.

(I know this cause I just got my lecture today! The funny thing is that the TWC guy that handed me the cable card at the TWC store gave me the number and told me to call it. The cable card support guy was a bit of a jerk. Though he did know what he was doing. My call lasted about 5 minutes. Everything including premiums is working fine on my new Elite.)
SASouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #5428
cwoody222

Nope.

Turns out the moron installer told her she didn't need an SDV TA box (she does). I had told her to DEMAND one but she backed down.

So now she has to wait while they mail her own. I told her to DEMAND one NOW but she wouldn't.

I also told her to ask for a refund for the install and any missed service.

Seriously - how hard is this? EVERY SINGLE TIVO INSTALL WITH DIGITAL CABLE *NEEDS* AN SDV TA BOX IN THIS AREA. EVERY ONE. How hard is that to remember?
Old 10-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #5429
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlwizard View Post
Gotcha. What part of town are you in?

And I didn't realize the TA was just for some channels. Thought it might be for all. Bagadonuts, what channels are your TA used for?
Remember, I'm in Anahem which is Orange County so that's probably why I need a TA and Fofer, who I believe is in LA County doesn't (yet). As to which channels the TA affects: I haven't been able to quite figure that out. For example, when my TA went out a few weeks ago (it just needed a simple reboot), all but 2 of my HBO channels went out as well. Why I was able to still get a couple of HBO channels, I don't know. All of my Encore channels went out as did all of my Center Ice channels. But I was still able to get a majority of HD channels with the TA working.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #5430
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASouth View Post
Yep, the knowledge about how to set up cable cards definitely is at that number, but keep in mind that she'll probably get a lecture from the support rep on the phone telling her that the number she called is for field techs to call NOT customers. Then they'll probably go ahead and set it up.

(I know this cause I just got my lecture today! The funny thing is that the TWC guy that handed me the cable card at the TWC store gave me the number and told me to call it. The cable card support guy was a bit of a jerk. Though he did know what he was doing. My call lasted about 5 minutes. Everything including premiums is working fine on my new Elite.)
I received the same lecture when I called. Thing is, I was transferred to him by TWC TS. Also, after giving him some background on my TiVo history, the tech I spoke with (name escapes me now) said he had read some of my posts on this forum so, keep that in mind. He didn't take care of my issue personally but, before transferring me back to TWC, he instructed that tech on what steps to take to correct my issue. So, he did address my problem, just not personally. He wasn't at all rude with me but he was adamant that the number he was at shouldn't have been posted and was supposed to be used for field techs only. As some other posters here have said, if TWC CS/TS had their act together, we wouldn't have to use back door numbers that aren't typically for public use.