TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2011, 11:20 PM   #5371
dlfl
Cranky old novice

The first few times I called NCCS (the 2598 number) I always got the same guy, named "Mike", who was very competent and friendly. That was up til about 1.5 years ago. Then I started getting other people, including another "Mike", who matched the description of your Mike pretty well. None of the others have actually helped me IIRC.

For the last year or so I haven't needed to call NCCS. Occasionally I call local support and tell them to go to Screen 07, "Customer Balancing", and hit the Enter key ... and that re-authorizes my TA. I've never had CableCARD problems AFAIK.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #5372
avediswolf

New TiVo user.

Was able to get me CableCard and Tuning Adapter at the local office.
Other than being on hold for 45 minutes, the cablecard activation was smooth.

The TA, though is not working...

It's the Cisco. The light blinked, then went solid, so I thn plugged in the USB as instructed... Nothing happens.

I've rebooted the Tivo and the TA numerous times... Nothing... The TA screen on the tivo continues to say "No Tuning Adapter"

I plugged in a usb thinb drive in the tivo to be sure the USB port was working, and it saw it and spit an error as expected.

Then I decided to plug in the TA into a USB on the computer thinking it would at least say "Unreconized Hardware" - but nothing... I'm leaning to a problem with either the supplied USB cable or the TA itself.

Will the TA not properly authorized cause this?

Thinking of driving over to the office and do a swap, but wanted to see if anyone else had this issue, and maybe can be resolved with a simple phone call.

Thanks.
avediswolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #5373
MC Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bagadonuts
One question I have for anyone familiar with the Linksys WRT54G router: I am trying to use a TiVo Remote app on my Android phone (it allows you to use the phone as a remote control for the Premier) and I am getting an error msg that says there is no communication with the Premier probably because my router has blocked port 31339. I've scoured the net but cannot find out how to unblock (or open?) port 31339. Can anyone assist with that? I have gotten into the router settings and I think I need to change something in the "games/applications" settings but, what that is, I have no clue. Anyone?
Whats your router's IP address?
MC Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:12 AM   #5374
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bagadonuts View Post
Just called the number listed (it's 1830 here). Received a msg saying my wait time would be a minimum of 30 minutes and I was prompted to leave a msg if I didn't want to stay on the line. After pressing 1, I got another msg saying it could be up to 24 hours before my call was returned. I don't know about the rest of you but if your company was in the customer service industry, would this type of "service" be acceptable??? I left a detailed msg. I will let the group know when (if?) I get my call back.
This hold time is because we all are calling directly now. LOL They still have only 3 people staffing that desk max, covering the entire nation. Hold times did not used to be so bad, but it seems that is the norm now.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #5375
JJK1954
Beatle Freak!

I happen to be one of the lucky ones here in NYC. It is going on two weeks now, and so far so good with TWC cablecard and TA. (Works like a charm) One thing I have to say is that I originally had the TWC DVR. Let me just say that it is the most antiquated piece of hardare I have ever seen. The label on the bottom read built in 2008. It is extremly slow when changing channels. It is a mystery to me as to why TWC has not updated their hardware, and at least try to compete with the the likes of Tivo.

JJK
JJK1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #5376
avediswolf

Just an update to my above post.

I swapped the TA, hooked it up, waited until the light was solid, plugged in the usb, and it worked fine! Tested a bunch of channels that were not available without it, and it's all good.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #5377
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Hammer View Post
Whats your router's IP address?
Keep in mind I am an IT novice but I believe the router IP is 192.168.1.1
Joey Bagadonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #5378
dponeill

TWC North East Ohio cable card order procedure

Does anyone know how to order a cable card and tuning adapter in the NEO region?

I initailly called support, who transfered me to sales, who told me I had to pick them up at a local office, who told me that the have never had them and that I needed to fill out an online form, which looked like the old form for pre-ordering the tuning adaptor before they were available.

That was 2 weeks ago and I have not received anything or been contacted by anyone.
dponeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #5379
avediswolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dponeill View Post
Does anyone know how to order a cable card and tuning adapter in the NEO region?

I initailly called support, who transfered me to sales, who told me I had to pick them up at a local office, who told me that the have never had them and that I needed to fill out an online form, which looked like the old form for pre-ordering the tuning adaptor before they were available.

That was 2 weeks ago and I have not received anything or been contacted by anyone.
I'm up in Columbus, I just walked into the local office, said I needed a cablecard and tuning adapter. 5 minutes later, I was walking out with them.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #5380
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
This hold time is because we all are calling directly now. LOL They still have only 3 people staffing that desk max, covering the entire nation. Hold times did not used to be so bad, but it seems that is the norm now.
Yes, I was advised of this when I spoke with someone at the number 2 days later. After being kind enough to take the time to look at my acct. he saw what the problem was and transferred me back to TWC, told them what needed to be done, and I was up and running within a minute or 2. If the number listed is truly for field techs only (and apparently it is), then in fairness to those who are staffing that desk, us non-tech types shouldn't be using it. I know there are posters here who are of the opinion that, if TWC CS was doing their job, we wouldn't have to find other alternatives but, again, TWC CS' shortcomings aren't the fault of the people manning the tech help desk.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #5381
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avediswolf View Post
I'm up in Columbus, I just walked into the local office, said I needed a cablecard and tuning adapter. 5 minutes later, I was walking out with them.
That's only half the battle. After installing the cc and TA, you will have to call TWC to have them activated and that is where most of the problems have been. Hopefully, your experience will be the exception rather than the rule.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #5382
dponeill

Quote:
It seems that TWC doesn't have anyone in the Cleveland area who knows anything about cable cards. I was thinking i would try calling the cable card activation number next.
dponeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #5383
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Yes, I was advised of this when I spoke with someone at the number 2 days later. After being kind enough to take the time to look at my acct. he saw what the problem was and transferred me back to TWC, told them what needed to be done, and I was up and running within a minute or 2. If the number listed is truly for field techs only (and apparently it is), then in fairness to those who are staffing that desk, us non-tech types shouldn't be using it. I know there are posters here who are of the opinion that, if TWC CS was doing their job, we wouldn't have to find other alternatives but, again, TWC CS' shortcomings aren't the fault of the people manning the tech help desk.
TWC as an entity is the deficient party here, not us consumers. If the choice is between inconveniencing some part of TWC versus a consumer, I believe the moral choice is to inconvenience the guilty entity. If this creates a problem for them, their management should make the appropriate adjustments. They continually brag to the FCC about their efforts, good performance and consumer satisfaction regarding CableCARD's and Tuning Adapters, so they should live up to the image they present.

and
Old 09-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #5384
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dponeill View Post
It seems that TWC doesn't have anyone in the Cleveland area who knows anything about cable cards. I was thinking i would try calling the cable card activation number next.
Try calling 877-893-2205.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #5385
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
TWC as an entity is the deficient party here, not us consumers. If the choice is between inconveniencing some part of TWC versus a consumer, I believe the moral choice is to inconvenience the guilty entity. If this creates a problem for them, their management should make the appropriate adjustments.
Well said, but if we have to hold for extended periods of time because we are using a line that was never setup for customers, who's problem is it really? Personally I dont like holding for anything more then 5-10 minutes.
Still think it's hard to keep their CS up to date with CCs because each rep only sees one maybe a few times a year is my guess. I figure the CS dept has a high turn over rate too.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #5386
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
TWC as an entity is the deficient party here, not us consumers. If the choice is between inconveniencing some part of TWC versus a consumer, I believe the moral choice is to inconvenience the guilty entity. If this creates a problem for them, their management should make the appropriate adjustments. They continually brag to the FCC about their efforts, good performance and consumer satisfaction regarding CableCARD's and Tuning Adapters, so they should live up to the image they present.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
Well said, but if we have to hold for extended periods of time because we are using a line that was never setup for customers, who's problem is it really? Personally I dont like holding for anything more then 5-10 minutes.
Still think it's hard to keep their CS up to date with CCs because each rep only sees one maybe a few times a year is my guess. I figure the CS dept has a high turn over rate too.
Good points ... no real argument here. Let's face it: TWC will never be what TiVo users want it to be. We are a tiny blip on their business radar screen and a PITA to boot. And the FCC can't make it really good as long as we're still stuck with CableCARD and Tuning Adapter. Three years out and we finally have self-install, well if you're lucky or can hold long enough.

and
Old 09-22-2011, 09:01 AM   #5387
avediswolf

Quote:
That's only half the battle. After installing the cc and TA, you will have to call TWC to have them activated and that is where most of the problems have been. Hopefully, your experience will be the exception rather than the rule.
I guess I was lucky, The paper they gave me gave a number to call, Stayed on hold for almost 40 minutes, but when when the guy came one, I read him the numbers on the screen, he had me check the emms, then said it should be good in about 15 minutes, then I can hook up the TA.

Of course, the TA was faulty, but a quick visit to the office swapped to a good one. It was actucally quite painless. I expected so much worse.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #5388
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I guess I was lucky, The paper they gave me gave a number to call, Stayed on hold for almost 40 minutes, but when when the guy came one, I read him the numbers on the screen, he had me check the emms, then said it should be good in about 15 minutes, then I can hook up the TA.

Of course, the TA was faulty, but a quick visit to the office swapped to a good one. It was actucally quite painless. I expected so much worse.
"... actually quite painless ..." Your threshold of pain must be quite high!

BTW how did you determine the TA was faulty?

Actually your experience was relatively painless compared to many of the horror stories posted on these forums.

and
Old 09-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #5389
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:

Well, I commend your patience and reference to having to make another trip to TWC to replace a faulty TA as "quite painless". One question: being that I'm apparently a glutton for punishment, I have purchased another Premieat which means I'll have to go through the whole activation thing again...When you called to get the replacement TA activated, what # did you call?
Old 09-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #5390
KeithB

So, what's it going to take to get TWC to drop the damned "no copy" bit in every single program? Do their own DVRs honor that bit, or are they just sticking it to TiVo users, because they know TiVo does honor the bit?
KeithB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #5391
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't get the "no copy" bit in programs recorded off broadcast channels. I also noticed that 95% of my recordings are off broadcast channels. I'm seriously contemplating dropping digital cable entirely and just keeping broadcast... it's only $10.61 a month. Or maybe just drop that too and record everything OTA.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #5392
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithB View Post
So, what's it going to take to get TWC to drop the damned "no copy" bit in every single program? Do their own DVRs honor that bit, or are they just sticking it to TiVo users, because they know TiVo does honor the bit?
An act of God, or Congress This is a dead horse ... please don't beat it in this thread. There has been much posting and letter writing over several years with not a tiny bit of hope revealed. Search the forum if you want to see the gory details, or start yet another thread on TWC copy protection.

If TiVo's streamed (instead of transferring an additional copy) to achieve TTG or MRV, they would not be limited by this copy-once protection. Actually there was a covert (but discovered and used by a few users) test of experimental streaming-type MRV on some Premiere's recently, but is it leading anywhere?

and
Old 09-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #5393
avediswolf

Quote:
"... actually quite painless ..." Your threshold of pain must be quite high!

BTW how did you determine the TA was faulty?

Actually your experience was relatively painless compared to many of the horror stories posted on these forums.
The USB wouldn't connect. Noticed the USB cable wasn't seating in the unit tightly. Since the office is very close, I didn't mind running back, so yes, relatively painless.

Now, Lets see how they handle me stopping by, and dropping 3 STBs from the "whole house DVR" crap. I should be done watching what I had recorded on those by this evening.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #5394
avediswolf

Quote:
Well, I commend your patience and reference to having to make another trip to TWC to replace a faulty TA as "quite painless". One question: being that I'm apparently a glutton for punishment, I have purchased another Premieat which means I'll have to go through the whole activation thing again...When you called to get the replacement TA activated, what # did you call?
They gave me an instruction paper which has this number:
1.866.606.5889 which I called to activate the cable card.

The TA did not require activation, she said they were already pre-activated when I asked, At first I thought that was BS after reading how it goes, but when I got it home, the new one got plugged in, lights blinked for about 3-5 min, plugged it in the tivo, and it worked.

I'm sure since it wasn't too bad, I'll some how have a tremendous billing error next month.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #5395
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
They gave me an instruction paper which has this number:
1.866.606.5889 which I called to activate the cable card.

The TA did not require activation, she said they were already pre-activated when I asked, At first I thought that was BS after reading how it goes, but when I got it home, the new one got plugged in, lights blinked for about 3-5 min, plugged it in the tivo, and it worked.

I'm sure since it wasn't too bad, I'll some how have a tremendous billing error next month.
Pre-activated? Nice! Didn't know they could do such a thing. Is it the Motorola model (something 700 I think) with the amber light or the other one (Cisco?) with the green light?
Old 09-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #5396
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Pre-activated? Nice! Didn't know they could do such a thing. Is it the Motorola model (something 700 I think) with the amber light or the other one (Cisco?) with the green light?
I wonder if there really is "pre-activation". My picture is the TA gets what it needs when it boots up. If it's not "authorized" on your account, then it won't be authorized at boot up and won't work (8-blinks-pause on the Cisco units). Authorization isn't permanent and a new authorization signal has to be sent out to the TA every 20 days or so. Hopefully this is done automatically or you will see 8-blinks when it expires. For the first year I had a TA, TWC SW Ohio was not sending these signals out and many of us had to call in every month to get re-authorized. Of course no one knew what was happening so some of those calls were very long and painful.

Pre-activation might just mean they make sure it's authorized on your account before it gets installed. (?)

and
Old 09-25-2011, 01:43 AM   #5397
avediswolf

Quote:
It's a Cisco.
After plugging it in the first time, the light would blink for about 10 minutes, then go solid. Plugged in the USB, and in business.
Only had to call for the CableCard earlier.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #5398
shaggy314

I waited over 80 minutes on hold at 866-606-5889 (the self install only please line), before I spoke to anyone.

Guy obviously knew what he was doing, admitted that he's the only one after 9 PM my time. He efficiently and methodically got both CableCards up and running. His procedures had him let me go when the second card was waiting for CP auth. It eventually did, but no joy on the Tuning Adapter. Local TW tech support report it is not in 2 way mode and through two power cycles he couldn't get it working. I'm trying the 5889 guy again, I hope I have enough battery life to wait for him.

UPDATE: Reset the tuning adapter (with Bob again, man's got a thick skin and a lot of patience), I have most of my channels working. His concern for the RDC signal being bad has me keeping the Saturday truck roll. His knowledge is keeping me a Time Warner customer.

Last edited by shaggy314 : 10-04-2011 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Updated information
shaggy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #5399
happysalesguy

Can someone tell me why you would need two cablecards?
happysalesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #5400
TWCableHelp
TWCableHelp

Hello-- I just wanted to let everyone know that we're aware of the complaints posted here regarding the wait times to get through on our self-install line. We'd like to offer our apologies, as we do not want our customers to have to wait for assistance. We have seen an increase in customer interest in Cable Cards since we began offering a self install option, and we are working to resolve the situation by adding additional staff during peak calling periods in the near future. Thank you for your patience, and again, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you have experienced.

Phil B.
Customer Service Manager
Time Warner Cable
TWCableHelp is offline   Reply With Quote