TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #5281
INARUSH

"Channel Not Authorized" - New Tuning Adapter & Cablecard

Hello. Just wondering if anyone has experienced the following or has any recommendations. Looking for any help I can get.

Just came back to Tivo with a Series3 and Time Warner. Picked up the new Tuning Adapter and Cablecard. Installed (long process!). I have everything working except for a few channels. The only one I care about that is not working is the Travel Channel HD (or non HD for that matter). I get "this channel is not authorized".

Service is in Charlotte, NC.

Most of the other HD channels work just fine. I believe I am getting all of the ones I am paying for. Is this a Time Warner issue with not authorizing the card for this channel? Or, is this a Tuning Adapter issue?

Thanks in advance.
INARUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #5282
mmcgown

I'm no expert, but I think this is TWC not fully authorizing your channels.
mmcgown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #5283
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I called to try and add the Choice Tier. That didn't work out so well, no new channels were appearing, so I called again. What followed was nightmare of epic proportions as TWC had to send technicians out to my house, about 5 times over the course of three weeks... as they ran new cabling to my house, swapped my CableCard (three times,) ran new cabling again. Of course along the way... I lost authorization to all my non-local cable channels. Basically had no TV for the better part of a month. So they came back again and this time had me uninstall my TiVo (!) so they could take it to another neighborhood "node," hook it up to a pole there and try to get my channels authorized again. Every tech giving a different excuse from the next, all of them clueless and nobody knowing how to get my *&^%%$ channels back.

At one point they actually blamed the summer heat; that it must have been affecting the cabling and weakened it to the point where channel authorizations wouldn't go through. That if we tried later in the night when it cooled down, it'd probably go through.

In the end, of course, as I'd insisted it would be from minute #1, it turned out to be an authorization issue with my account in their system. A kind woman named Karla, higher up in the advanced technical support group, sorted it out for me.

I will never be so bold as to try to add any channels again to my TWC lineup. They're a complete joke when it comes to TiVos and cable cards. Never again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #5284
mmcgown

Welcome to the wonderful wacky world of TWC. I've had their "service" since 1982, and I can tell you: it doesn't get any better than this!
Old 08-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #5285
mmcgown

On my TWC statement today....

On August 19, 2011, Time Warner Cable will begin
collecting a new fee called State Cost Recovery Fee
which is intended to recover a portion of the costs
imposed by Texas on Time Warner Cable. The State
Cost Recovery Fee is not a tax and Time Warner Cable
is not required by law to collect it.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #5286
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I am so happy that on Monday I will be driving to the TWC office to turn in my cablecards, tuning adapters, and cable modem and finally say goodbye to this horrible company.

And then I need to find the thread for Insight Cable...
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #5287
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
I am so happy that on Monday I will be driving to the TWC office to turn in my cablecards, tuning adapters, and cable modem and finally say goodbye to this horrible company.

Good for you.
Cheers.

(rhetorical) But, why would you think Insight will be any better?
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:15 AM   #5288
nhw3w

Does Replacing my TivoHD Hard Drive mean I need a cable card reauthorization?

My TivoHD hard drive died (again!). When this happened before tivo shipped me a new box and TWC in NYC had to send a guy out to re-authorize the cable card.

If I just put in a new drive will THAT require another truck roll?
nhw3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #5289
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhw3w View Post
My TivoHD hard drive died (again!). When this happened before tivo shipped me a new box and TWC in NYC had to send a guy out to re-authorize the cable card.

Until recently the answer was almost certainly "yes". A new FCC ruling just went into effect that is supposed to force some cable operators to allow "self install" (i.e., via a telephone call or web site) but there are loopholes in it so my bet would be the answer is still "yes", since TWC is unsurpassed in passive resistance to anything benefiting TiVo's. The FCC is a paper tiger when it comes to enforcing either the spirit or the letter of their rulings.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:58 AM   #5290
MeInDallas

Quote:

I noticed on the website here in Dallas it shows that you can get self install and has the instructions on there and everything including numbers to call to get them authorized. When I called them about this they told me "No the website is wrong we have to come out to install them."
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #5291
JimWall

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
I noticed on the website here in Dallas it shows that you can get self install and has the instructions on there and everything including numbers to call to get them authorized. When I called them about this they told me "No the website is wrong we have to come out to install them."
if you replace the drive yourself and copy the old drive over using winmfs then you would not need to reauthorize.
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #5292
Grumock

Quote:

should not. Really just need to have the card unpaired and then paired back up on the account, with hits resent to the card after the card is paired.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #5293
muzzymate

Oh Time Warner, I can see this relationship going so well. Here's the beginning of my Time Warner story. I'm already annoyed with them and I don't even have service at my house yet.

After many issues with AT&T Uverse and 4 bad/replaced DVRs over the course of a year, I decided to return to the great Tivo experiences I've had with Series 2 Tivo & DirecTivos. Decided to go with a 2 Tivo Premiere units - one for the main TV and one for the master bedroom TV. For my area, this means using Time Warner for television. I order internet and digital TV from them, specifying that I'll need 2 cable cards for the premises. The CSR rep tells me I'll also need to fill out the online form to order the Tuning Adapters which I do immediately following the call.

Installation day comes and the tech arrives with the cable modem, two cable cards, and no tuning adapters. However, since he does not have the tuning adapter he refuses to activate cable TV since we live in a switched video area. Also, since the work order he has states to activate both television AND internet, he can't install the cable modem because he can't do a partial work order. Unfortunately, my wife is the only one at home and doesn't really understand everything and the installer leaves without doing anything.

Before my wife has a chance to call me, I get a call from an agent at Time Warner saying that I asked to be rescheduled. After being on the phone for about 40 minutes and talking to 4 different TWC representatives, I finally have the work order separated so they can install the cable modem first and then when the tuning adapters finally arrive, I need to call back and schedule them to install the television.

It was never clear from the online order form how the tuning adapters would arrive. I probably should have called back and asked but assumed everything would be allright. Now I know not to assume anything with Time Warner.

Thankfully my Tivo's have been performing beautifully using the OTA tuners. Hopefully, I can get the cable modem activated before they run out of guide data.
muzzymate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #5294
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post

Irony is that TWC just purchased Insight outright. Welcome back!
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #5295
muzzymate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
Irony is that TWC just purchased Insight outright. Welcome back!
Resistance is futile! You will be assimilated.
muzzymate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #5296
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Yes, I knew someone would bring that up. But here I am on Insight, with 5 functional CableCards, no need for stupid tuning adapters, and internet speeds that make TWC seem like dialup.

Hopefully it will be a while before Time Warner comes in and messes it all up.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #5297
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWall View Post
if you replace the drive yourself and copy the old drive over using winmfs then you would not need to reauthorize.
I did that a long time ago to 1TB drives. We were just talking about "self install" for cable cards.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #5298
Rochdaker

Time Warner having a "special" 79.00 for internet and digital cable. upgraded my internet only to this special. On the phone I told the agent I had TIVO Premiere and needed the cablecards only, the agent said I HAD to get the cable box($8.99) "the only way the system would allow the pricing and I still had to pay 2.25 for the card in addition". figured oh well, just won't install the box. Tech comes out and we install the card and he proceedes to tell me , you will only get your local stations in HD on TIVO, (something about 2 way connection) so we installed the cable box too. so basically anything other than network TV I can't use the TIVO for.... Any Help out there...?????
Rochdaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #5299
mmcgown

You need an M cablecard and a tuning adapter only. You do not need their cable box.

Call them back and tell them to fix your problem, and tell them if they can't, you will have to file a complaint with the FCC. Then file the complaint.

Your situation is exactly what the FCC ordered the cable companies to STOP doing on August 8.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #5300
Rochdaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcgown View Post
You need an M cablecard and a tuning adapter only. You do not need their cable box.

Call them back and tell them to fix your problem, and tell them if they can't, you will have to file a complaint with the FCC. Then file the complaint.

Your situation is exactly what the FCC ordered the cable companies to STOP doing on August 8.
Do they charge for a tuning adapter? DO I have to pay for the box? (they said yes) And supposedly it is a M series
Rochdaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #5301
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochdaker View Post
Do they charge for a tuning adapter? DO I have to pay for the box? (they said yes) And supposedly it is a M series
The tuning adapter is free.

You should not have to pay for the box. If you do, you're eligible to receive an amount equal back because you BYOB (bring your own box, TiVo). If they don't know about this, or don't offer it to you, file a complaint with the FCC. It's a requirement as of last month.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #5302
aymanme

Can't get my Time Warner Austin to work anymore. Sadly, my Tivo S3 hard drive died and I've tried to restore my backup to no avail. In any case, I started fresh and while the Tivo itself is fine, I can't get them to authorize my cards. I've been on the phone for hours and they finally decided that they need a truck roll (for reasons I cannot comprehend). In any case, their first available is more than a week from now .... Sigh, hoping that maybe it will fix itself or just take some time for the CC to get authorized. The first guy I spoke to changed up the host ids and so on, so there was no chance that was going to work. I think the next guy fixed them but who knows ....

One of the items I noticed was that when I copied my drive over with winmfs the plist -l complained about "bad block 14" on the new drive, while it reads the old drive just fine. I don't know enough about winmfs, but that doesn't sound like what is supposed to happen. Same thing happens with a 2yo S3 image that is known good.
aymanme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #5303
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:

I purchased a TiVo Premier which should be arriving on 9/6. I, too have TWC (Anaheim, CA) and I just want to confirm that I don't need 2 cable cards, but rather 1 M Card and a tuning adapter? And the TA is free of charge, correct?

Thanks in advance...
Joey Bagadonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #5304
mmcgown

Premiere boxes support ONLY M-Cards. You need one (1) M-Card to receive 2 digital channels at once. Premiere boxes only have one CableCARD slot, and it is located in the back.

You need one M-card and a Tuning Adapter.
They may charge a rental fee for the M-card (I pay $2.25/month)
They cannot charge for the Tuning Adapter
They cannot charge you for a cable box and you don't need one.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #5305
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Premiere boxes support ONLY M-Cards. You need one (1) M-Card to receive 2 digital channels at once. Premiere boxes only have one CableCARD slot, and it is located in the back.

You need one M-card and a Tuning Adapter.
They may charge a rental fee for the M-card (I pay $2.25/month)
They cannot charge for the Tuning Adapter
They cannot charge you for a cable box and you don't need one.
Excellent information. Thank you for the prompt response!
Old 09-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #5306
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by aymanme View Post
Can't get my Time Warner Austin to work anymore.

the Tivo itself is fine, I can't get them to authorize my cards.
I had a similar problem(?) after installing a 2TB internal drive.
The cable cards could not be authorized.
What I learned:
When you first put the power to TiVo.
The TiVo should only have one cable card, card 1 (lower slot.)
The TiVo should not be connected to the Tuning Adapter (assuming you have one.)

Either way, Time Warner has to authorize cable card 1 before cable card 2 will authorize.
If both cards are installed, neither card will authorize.
If the tuning adapter is connected, neither card can be authorized.

Summary:
Install 1 cable card in TiVo's #1 slot.
Connect cable from the pole to the TiVo.
Power up TiVo.
Run guided setup.
Once you can see non encrypted tv.
Call Time Warner's cable card support # for your area.

Good luck.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #5307
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
I had a similar problem(?) after installing a 2TB internal drive.
The cable cards could not be authorized.
What I learned:
When you first put the power to TiVo.
The TiVo should only have one cable card, card 1 (lower slot.)
The TiVo should not be connected to the Tuning Adapter (assuming you have one.)

Either way, Time Warner has to authorize cable card 1 before cable card 2 will authorize.
If both cards are installed, neither card will authorize.

Summary:
Install 1 cable card in TiVo's #1 slot.
Connect cable from the pole to the TiVo.
Power up TiVo.
Run guided setup.
Once you can see non encrypted tv.
Call Time Warner's cable card support # for your area.

Good luck.
Seeing as we're basically neighbors, your scenario will apply to me once my "Premier" arrives next week. The only difference being, I will need one M card rather than the two cable cards. If I am understanding you correctly, I can install the M card myself and only need to call TWC to have it activated (sync'd)?
Old 09-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #5308
Eccles
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps
Odd, our friendly neighborhood TW insider was able to reauthorize my card after my last Clear and Delete All, and the TA was attached the whole time.
150-hour Premiere XL (Lifetime)
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #5309
aymanme

Well, it started working this morning without any more TWC calls. I loaded a backup from a virgin unit last night and let it upgrade and so on. This morning, both cards are authorized and it is working. I went ahead and made a new backup. I think I realize where the backup problem is. I suspect (though I am not sure) that mfstools only backs up the active root partition rather than the one that is on 4 and 7. So when I tried to access 4 after a restore it failed. Or its the 2T drive, but I doubt that. The backup I used was backup -f 9999 -6so ....
aymanme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #5310
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bagadonuts View Post
Seeing as we're basically neighbors, your scenario will apply to me once my "Premier" arrives next week. The only difference being, I will need one M card rather than the two cable cards. If I am understanding you correctly, I can install the M card myself and only need to call TWC to have it activated (sync'd)?
I would say yes, but only if you currently have the "M" card in your possession.