TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #5221
Joey Bagadonuts

Bit of a curve ball here but, would anyone know why I can't get my HBO channels (503-512) or my Encore channels (283-289) on my Series 2's anymore? The box will auto scroll through these channels and lock on whatever the channel is after 289 or 512. For example, I will manually go to 503 and the box will then auto-scroll until it gets to a 600 series number. Same thing when I manually go to 283 - the box will auto scroll to channel 290.
Joey Bagadonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #5222
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bagadonuts View Post
Bit of a curve ball here but, would anyone know why I can't get my HBO channels (503-512) or my Encore channels (283-289) on my Series 2's anymore? The box will auto scroll through these channels and lock on whatever the channel is after 289 or 512. For example, I will manually go to 503 and the box will then auto-scroll until it gets to a 600 series number. Same thing when I manually go to 283 - the box will auto scroll to channel 290.
Maybe SDV is enabled in your area.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #5223
Teeps

With regard to SDV channels:
If a SDV channel is requested by one "box" on the pipeline...
Would this channel be available to all boxes on the same pipeline?
Or, specifically a TiVo with cable cards, without using a tuning adapter?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #5224
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
With regard to SDV channels:
If a SDV channel is requested by one "box" on the pipeline...
Would this channel be available to all boxes on the same pipeline?
Or, specifically a TiVo with cable cards, without using a tuning adapter?
The stream is going to be present on all sets within the service group but the TiVo with cable cards but without TA isnt going to know what QAM to tune to in order to find the program.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:09 PM   #5225
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Maybe SDV is enabled in your area.
But I didn't think SDV effected series 2's. If so, how do I correct this?
Old 06-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #5226
Wait_What

Sounds like it might be a simple lineup issue, did you check your channel list?
Wait_What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #5227
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wait_What View Post
Sounds like it might be a simple lineup issue, did you check your channel list?
Yep, the line up list is accurate. I should have mentioned, we have three series 2's in our home and each is doing the same thing. No problems with the TiVo HD we have.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #5228
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahG View Post
Ok that makes sense. Has anyone in the So Cal area had one of these adapters installed? I think I read they are free, right? It doesn't mess with the CC's config does it? I just don't want to go through that pain again. I don't even know if my area is SDV or not.
I'm in the West Valley and my tuning adapter works fine. Lots of SDV channels, especially The Weather Channel. The first one kept rebooting so I had to get another one. It was a while ago, so I don't remember if the TiVo needed setup again.
cb
abredt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #5229
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Yep, the line up list is accurate. I should have mentioned, we have three series 2's in our home and each is doing the same thing. No problems with the TiVo HD we have.
Does the TiVo HD have Cablecards and a tuning adapter? Are your S2's set up to control a cablebox? Given the channel numbers I would assume yes? If so, your account may need a balancing hit to get them authorized?
Old 06-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #5230
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Does the TiVo HD have Cablecards and a tuning adapter? Are your S2's set up to control a cablebox? Given the channel numbers I would assume yes? If so, your account may need a balancing hit to get them authorized?
Thanks for the troubleshooting efforts - I appreciate it. Yes, the S2's control a cable box via IR and yes, the HD has Cablecards and a tuning adapter.

How does one execute a balancing hit?

Again, thanks for your time.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #5231
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
.......How does one execute a balancing hit?......
Call TWC service and ask the rep to go to the Customer Balancing Screen (Screen 07) and hit the Enter key. If the rep won't or can't do it, hang up, wait a few minutes and call back again (getting a different rep).

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #5232
Teeps

Quote:
The stream is going to be present on all sets within the service group but the TiVo with cable cards but without TA isnt going to know what QAM to tune to in order to find the program.
So is the QAM frequency selection random or rolling?

The reason I ask is, TimeWarner sent me out a tuning adapter late last year, November if I recall.

I have yet to experience SDV, here in Torrance.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #5233
SCSIRAID

Quote:
So is the QAM frequency selection random or rolling?

The reason I ask is, TimeWarner sent me out a tuning adapter late last year, November if I recall.

I have yet to experience SDV, here in Torrance.
It is based on current service group load. The group has a set of frequencies allocated for SDV usage. When a channel is selected, the STB or TA will request the program to be supplied and the SDV server will allocate it to an open slot on one of the allocated QAM's and then tell the STB/TA where to go get it.

If you dont have SDV, why did they send you a tuning adapter? Do you have it plugged into the TiVo?
Old 06-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #5234
Teeps

Quote:
It is based on current service group load. The group has a set of frequencies allocated for SDV usage. When a channel is selected, the STB or TA will request the program to be supplied and the SDV server will allocate it to an open slot on one of the allocated QAM's and then tell the STB/TA where to go get it.
Makes sense.

Quote:
If you dont have SDV, why did they send you a tuning adapter? Do you have it plugged into the TiVo?
TimeWarner sent notices out about a year ago announcing that SDV was eminent... Fast forward to the end of 2010 and a tuning adapter shows up.
I had ordered it on TW's web site at the start of 2010.
That's why I have the adapter.

No, I do not have the T/A installed... yet. I figured if it's not broken, I'm not going to fix it.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:34 AM   #5235
cwoody222

Quote:
Makes sense.

TimeWarner sent notices out about a year ago announcing that SDV was eminent... Fast forward to the end of 2010 and a tuning adapter shows up.
I had ordered it on TW's web site at the start of 2010.
That's why I have the adapter.

No, I do not have the T/A installed... yet. I figured if it's not broken, I'm not going to fix it.
Looks like lots of other So Cal locations use lots of SDV. Maybe Torrance lucked out and hasn't switched over yet. But you may eventually.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/socal/learn/cable/sdv/
Old 06-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #5236
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
Looks like lots of other So Cal locations use lots of SDV. Maybe Torrance lucked out and hasn't switched over yet. But you may eventually.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/socal/learn/cable/sdv/
Looks like areas north/north-west of Down Town L.A. according to the list.
Even so, I did not see Speed TV or any other stations I watch on that 2009/2010 list.

Well, "when" it happens I have the technology in hand, providing there are no other problems.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:59 AM   #5237
cwoody222

Here's a new one. Last night I was recording Teen Wolf on MTVHD from 10-11pm and recording/watching Nurse Jackie & United States of Tara on SHOHD from 10-11pm also.

Teen Wolf recorded fine, as did Nurse Jackie. But Tara didn't. No signal. Playing around, waiting until 11pm, I could see that that tuner wouldn't get ANY channel! Then, after Teen Wolf ended I tried that tuner and it couldn't tune anything either!

I did a soft reboot of the TiVo and that brought back some analog and digital cable channels. But no HD and no SHO. But I set Tara to record a rerun at 11:30pm anyway and went to bed.

Lo and behold this morning that Tara DID record on SHOHD at 11:30pm. And now I can see a few more HD channels (just about half a dozen including ESPN, HBO, SHO - but just the main HBO and SHO, none of the secondary ones). I've lost all my other stations in the 700+ range.

I tried a reboot of the SDV Adapter and a cold reboot of the TiVo this morning. That seemed to get everything back. Really weird that it would just stop working right after 2 recordings.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #5238
Teeps

Quote:
Looks like areas north/north-west of Down Town L.A. according to the list.
Even so, I did not see Speed TV or any other stations I watch on that 2009/2010 list.

Well, "when" it happens I have the technology in hand, providing there are no other problems.

It's here........
Yesterday I went to watch the new Covert Affairs, which I saw recording the day before.
No joy.
The recording was not on the now playing list. On "to do list" TiVo said the program did not record, because it did not have a signal.

Installed the Tuning Adapter about 30 minutes ago (5pm pst) still waiting for Speed (468) Channel to show...
Old 06-23-2011, 02:38 AM   #5239
Greywacke99

Quote:
It's here........
Yesterday I went to watch the new Covert Affairs, which I saw recording the day before.
No joy.
The recording was not on the now playing list. On "to do list" TiVo said the program did not record, because it did not have a signal.

Installed the Tuning Adapter about 30 minutes ago (5pm pst) still waiting for Speed (468) Channel to show...
Similar story down here in Fountain Valley with my S3. Got original SDV letter back in Nov, ordered TA, got TA, but didn't need to install b/c SDV rollout was delayed.

Got second SDV letter in mid-May ("coming soon, for real this time"), and last night recordings and channels begin to fail. Installed TA (Cisco STA1520), called TWC and reauthorized channels/box, per instructions. Getting steady blinking green light on TA for 15 min since power up. Will check on status in morning and report. Hoping for the best in this brave new world....
Greywacke99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #5240
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywacke99 View Post
Similar story down here in Fountain Valley with my S3. Got original SDV letter back in Nov, ordered TA, got TA, but didn't need to install b/c SDV rollout was delayed.

Got second SDV letter in mid-May ("coming soon, for real this time"), and last night recordings and channels begin to fail. Installed TA (Cisco STA1520), called TWC and reauthorized channels/box, per instructions. Getting steady blinking green light on TA for 15 min since power up. Will check on status in morning and report. Hoping for the best in this brave new world....
I hope your's goes better than mine.
2 hours after reauthorization, blinking light; NO JOY...

Last night I call TW to have them "hit" the box again. Pretty much exactly what you are seeing, blinking green light. (This morning 23Jun and, it's still blinking.)

Call TW again (22 Jun), they schedule a truck roll for Saturday.

I'm going to check if the TW office here in Torrance has an adapter. If so, try swapping that out today.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #5241
cwoody222

Quote:

Last night I call TW to have them "hit" the box again. Pretty much exactly what you are seeing, blinking green light. (This morning 23Jun and, it's still blinking.)

Call TW again (22 Jun), they schedule a truck roll for Saturday.

I'm going to check if the TW office here in Torrance has an adapter. If so, try swapping that out today.
I've gone thru the replacement box and a truck roll. That's rarely the cause... it's usually something they can 100% fix over the phone but they're not trained how to.

PS Have you tried calling TW's CableCARD support or tried their @TWCableHelp twitter account?

Good luck!
Old 06-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #5242
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
I've gone thru the replacement box and a truck roll. That's rarely the cause... it's usually something they can 100% fix over the phone but they're not trained how to.

PS Have you tried calling TW's CableCARD support or tried their @TWCableHelp twitter account?

Good luck!
Good news:
TW Torrance had tuning adapters and cheerfully swapped it out.
Reauthorized the "boxes" and within 5 minutes Speed TV was back on the screen.
However, the green indicator on the front, of the adapter, is still flashing.
Long as it works I'm happy.
A spot of black electrical tape will take care of the flashing, if it comes to that.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #5243
Greywacke99

Quote:
Good news:
TW Torrance had tuning adapters and cheerfully swapped it out.
Reauthorized the "boxes" and within 5 minutes Speed TV was back on the screen.
However, the green indicator on the front, of the adapter, is still flashing.
Long as it works I'm happy.
A spot of black electrical tape will take care of the flashing, if it comes to that.
My SDV channels weren't coming in this morning, the HD ones had a bizarre test pattern showing on them, while the SD ones were just a blank screen. Luckily, I don't record/watch much programming on the SDV ones.

I'll try one more "box" reauth tonight before calling TWC and/or attempting a TA swap on Friday.

Please post an update indicating if you new box has remained stable and that you are getting all your SDV channels. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2011, 02:26 AM   #5244
Greywacke99

Ok, after another call to reauthorize "box"', turning TA off and back on using power button, and disconnecting/reconnectng USB cable, I got a steady green light on the front of the Cisco TA and my SDV channels are now coming in!

Hoping for stability now....
Old 06-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #5245
Teeps

About 4 hours after I last posted Speed TV was listed as not available at this time call the cable co.
The green indicator, on the T/A, was still blinking.
Later on that night I noticed TiVo was recording "Speed Makers" on Speed. Pressed the play button and yep, Speed was recording.
The green indicator continued to blink.
This morning the green indicator was steady on.

So it would appear that it takes many hours for this T/A to get fully initialized.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:10 AM   #5246
Chazz8

Just wanted to share a good story (not great) experience here in Syracuse NY with Time Warner. Got my first HD tv (Panasonic p46st30), and quickly added a refurb Premire XL. Scheduled my install CC install for Mon and TiVo came before that on Fri. The nice man arrives on time and comes in, takes a look and says "I wish I knew you wanted to install a CC in a TiVo, because I don't have a TA in the van." I calmly inform him that I was very specific about the TiVo when I made the appt, and played nice because it looked like he was thinking about how to fix it (and he seems to have some experience). The solution was that he will make sure somebody comes back next day with TA. Next day I get another experienced tech plus trainee and a TA. The install was not easy, but after a second TA (the last one available from warehouse ... Really?) and three more calls to try to get that little green led to stop blinking and go solid. Then nothing but TiVo HD bliss. We even had a short power outage, and everything powered up and was working fine when I checked. Time Warner CC was the cheapest way to get lots of HD channels, just $3/month extra. Love the dual tuner and almost sorry that I ruined SD signal forever for myself.

Last edited by Chazz8 : 06-26-2011 at 12:36 AM. Reason: No good reason
Chazz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #5247
Snacko
Snack Officer

I got my Tivo Premier 45hr about a month ago and it worked fine with the card and Tuning Adapter until last Thursday 6/17/2011. Some switched digital channels stopped working. My Time Warner cable guy has been here 3 times and is still here as I speak, talking to their Cable Card Hotline.

My Tivo loses some SD channels. We have replaced the card, and 2 tuning adapters. We have rebooted the Tivo and TA many times. We unplug the Tivo Wireless, and TA USB, reboot both devices, then plug in the wireless adapter and then the TA usb. (I read here that this is the sequence recommended.) It does not fix it.

The guy on the Time Warner Cable Card Hotline just told us that there was a bug in the last Tivo Software Update that loses SD channels as we described. Does anybody know about this???? Where can you find the actual date of the last software update?
Snacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #5248
randywalters
AVS Old Timer

Quote:

Last night I call TW to have them "hit" the box again. Pretty much exactly what you are seeing, blinking green light. (This morning 23Jun and, it's still blinking.) Call TW again (22 Jun), they schedule a truck roll for Saturday.
SDV struck El Segundo the same morning as Torrance and Hawthorne (we're on the same local Torrance/Gardena/Hawthorne/El Segundo network). I installed my TA about a month ago since it looked like SDV was finally going to be activated soon (and two years of SDV warning letters) in the hopes that things would go seemlessly once SDV came online, but it still all went sideways on 6/22. I came home for lunch that day and saw that my TA was blinking for the first time since i connected it last month, and my Tivo S3 would not tune so many channels, and the more i tried the more channels seemed to be dropping.

Then after work, my Tivo wouldn't tune to any cable channels at all (not even 3, 5, 405, 468, nothing) so i first called and selected their automated re-authorization but that didn't get it working. So i called to speak to a CSR and the guy was knowledgeable and sent a few signals to it, but it still wouldn't work so he scheduled a Saturday truck roll. I rebooted the TA a few times but still nuthin. I gave up and went out for dinner.

But after dinner a few hours later i noticed the LED was now solid, and i was now able to tune to all my previous and new channels and so far the TA has been working fine and my Tivo hasn't missed any recordings (i'm mostly concerned about Speed Channel and Versus - i don't want to miss any races in the various series that i'm following). I think they were having a problem at the head-end which got rectified later that evening. I canceled my truck roll this morning.

But i don't trust it yet. A few times during testing it was unable to tune a channel i'd just selected and i had to try it again then it worked. So for the time being, i'm going to also set my SA8300HD (sits next to my Tivo) for my racing as a backup. I'm also thinking about trading my trusty 5-year-old 8300HD for that fancy new 500GB/70hrs HD Whole House DVR that they're advertising heavily on TV here (although my local TWC office doesn't know anything about it).

Edit - i just went into the other room (where i had been watching Sprint Cup Practice from Sear Point) and my friggin TV has a black screen and a Tivo message that the channel is unavailable and to press Select to tune the channel. Pressed SELECT and the channel re-appears, but my buffer is gone so i can't rewind. I hope this doesn't happen when it's recording a program while i'm away from the house.

Premiere 2TB, Series3 OLED w/500GB, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, URC R40 Remote, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR

Last edited by randywalters : 06-25-2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Dreading a Future with a Tuning Adapter
randywalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #5249
djwilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by randywalters View Post
Edit - i just went into the other room (where i had been watching Sprint Cup Practice from Sear Point) and my friggin TV has a black screen and a Tivo message that the channel is unavailable and to press Select to tune the channel. Pressed SELECT and the channel re-appears, but my buffer is gone so i can't rewind. I hope this doesn't happen when it's recording a program while i'm away from the house.
This won't happen if the TiVo is recording. When it's not recording, it will time out and display a message on the screen telling you to press Select or else it will release its lease on that SDV channel and it will go black.

This is done because there are only so many leases available for an SDV channel, and someone else might not be able to tune it if all the leases are in use, which could happen if enough people just tuned to the channel and left it there for a long time.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #5250
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by randywalters View Post
(i'm mostly concerned about Speed Channel and Versus - i don't want to miss any races in the various series that i'm following). I think they were having a problem at the head-end which got rectified later that evening. I canceled my truck roll this morning.
Me too!

Canceling the truck roll might have been a mistake, but good to hear that your setup is working.

The story here continues... Same issues, one hour speed is there and versus is not, then visa versa.
However, TiVo did manage to get the Tour de France preview and F1 qualifying recorded, since my T/A ordeal started.

Had truck roll scheduled for Saturday 3-5pm.
Got a call from T/W about 5:30 saying they were running behind.
At 6:30pm they called back, apologizing all up and down for my troubles.

The T/W agent that called the second time told me that it was all on their end, that it was not a TiVo problem. And, that they could not fulfill truck roll because the Technician in the field ran out of hardware solutions on the truck. Evidently due to, the unexpected, high volume of SDV problems with TiVo S3 customers.

I did learn that the blinking light on the T/A means it's not active (or communicating correctly.) The agent, also, hinted that T/W might be able to resolve this issue in house and that a truck roll may not be needed.

Another truck roll scheduled for Tuesday 28Jun2011, we'll see how that goes.
Hope it's not needed.