TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #5191
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
That really doesn't make any sense since the ONLY purpose of the TA is to send a channel request to the head end and then send the signal to the home. That's a two-way communication.

But I guess you're at their mercy to come out to try and fix it.

Did you ever find out which channels are SDV? Are you sure you get NOTHING above channel 21? Your local HD channels CANNOT be SDV (legally) and it's very unlikely EVERY channel above 21 is SDV. So assuming there's at least a few non-SDV channels up there if you're really not getting ANY channels above 21 then the problem isn't the TA.

Looking at their channel lineup, it shows channels 2-22 is their "Basic Service Tier" (or "El Paquetazo Package" which also includes other Spanish channels).

I'm willing to bet the problem is as simple as they don't have your account set up properly on the Cards and their system only has you down for receiving the Basic Service Tier. And that's a problem that can easily be fixed on the phone.

PS The Basic Tier also includes channels 605, 1512 and 1542. Do you get those?
The TA works in 'one-way' mode until it gets its authorization over the cable (kinda like Cablecards getting CP Auth Rcvd). Once it gets its authorization it then has 'permission to speak' on the network and goes into two way mode.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #5192
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
The TA works in 'one-way' mode until it gets its authorization over the cable (kinda like Cablecards getting CP Auth Rcvd). Once it gets its authorization it then has 'permission to speak' on the network and goes into two way mode.
Ah. I stand corrected. Good to know.

But doesn't sound like a truck roll would be necessary to do that. They could do it over the phone, no?
Old 05-27-2011, 01:47 PM   #5193
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Ah. I stand corrected. Good to know.

But doesn't sound like a truck roll would be necessary to do that. They could do it over the phone, no?
Should be easily correctable over the phone. Balance the account or perhaps a staging hit. Couple keystrokes and it would be working. Grummock can fill in the details.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #5194
snowbunny

I did notice the correspondence of the channels I get and don't get, to the basic cable tier, but I can't get channel 22, which is supposed to be included. Also, I get many, many channels if I connect the coax direct to the television, so unless it's ONLY the CableCards that control the "tier" I get, then I'm getting more. I've mentioned the possibility of "basic tier" set up to the phone rep, and implored the Twitter-contacted national rep as to what I could do (or they could do remotely) without a truck roll, to diag the TA. I was told *nothing*. I was told that signal strength, interference, ingress.... could all cause this and since those are physical causes, they cannot be remotely diagnosed. (I actually *understand* the technical jargon. I don't know if this makes it better or worse.)

I can try the higher channels that I'm supposed to get, but cannot do that until later.

This should not be so hard, and if it is, then the installer should be forced to stay until functionality is confirmed. TW should pay for this extra time, because the alternative when this fails is a very pissed-off customer. Unless this *rarely* happens and they are willing to make up for it.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #5195
cwoody222

Another hint: request a time Warner employee (not a contractor) who has experience with TiVo installs.

And the reason you get 2-99 when you plug into the tv is because they're analog and not encrypted.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #5196
JimWall

They need to update the cable card with your billing information so it knows what channels you are allowed to see.
also verify they have to correct host id and if that does not work then also the cable card serial number.
It took many months for TW in southwest Ohio to get their together. Like CC losing authorization every X days. But things have been good for many months now. Last time I had to call the customer service person was new but had a procedure to fix things and they worked. There are many different kinds of hits and they even remotely reboot the tuning adapter.
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:30 PM   #5197
wlwest82

I have a series 3 hd tivo and Time Warner basic service (not even cable). So basically I get the local channels, and for some reason, Discovery Channel. Anyways, I have a tv at the back of the house (not connected to a Tivo) that can get HD signal directly off the coax. Fox is channel 4 in my market, and FoxHD is 4-1. This works for the other locals as well.

So here's the question. When I type in 4-1 on the HD tivo it looks like it's going to accept it, then switches to channel 1 (which would be OnDemand if I had a TWC cable box). However, if I channel down from there, it will go to channel 4 just as it would at the back of the house. So I'm wondering, is the cablecard blocking the HD signal on the Tivo since I don't have digital service? Do I even need the cablecard if I don't have digital service? If I took it out, and re-ran guided setup without it, would I be fine?

Oh, I'm in the Dallas area. Thanks!
wlwest82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:28 AM   #5198
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlwest82 View Post
I have a series 3 hd tivo and Time Warner basic service (not even cable). So basically I get the local channels, and for some reason, Discovery Channel. Anyways, I have a tv at the back of the house (not connected to a Tivo) that can get HD signal directly off the coax. Fox is channel 4 in my market, and FoxHD is 4-1. This works for the other locals as well.

So here's the question. When I type in 4-1 on the HD tivo it looks like it's going to accept it, then switches to channel 1 (which would be OnDemand if I had a TWC cable box). However, if I channel down from there, it will go to channel 4 just as it would at the back of the house. So I'm wondering, is the cablecard blocking the HD signal on the Tivo since I don't have digital service? Do I even need the cablecard if I don't have digital service? If I took it out, and re-ran guided setup without it, would I be fine?

Oh, I'm in the Dallas area. Thanks!
You don't have digital service but you do have a CableCARD ??? How did that happen? Who provided the card? The card can do nothing useful for you without digital service and proper installation (pairing, etc.). Take the card(s) out and I predict you will get the clear QAM channels (e.g., 4-1). But then TiVo guide data will not be provided for those channels, just the analog ones (assuming they are there, i.e., via analog/digital simulcast).

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #5199
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
You don't have digital service but you do have a CableCARD ??? How did that happen? Who provided the card? The card can do nothing useful for you without digital service and proper installation (pairing, etc.). Take the card(s) out and I predict you will get the clear QAM channels (e.g., 4-1). But then TiVo guide data will not be provided for those channels, just the analog ones (assuming they are there, i.e., via analog/digital simulcast).
A cablecard even without digital service should provide mapping for HD Locals which will give you guide data for those locals which enables season passes etc. Those locals should appear at the cable co virtual channel number... no dashes.

Last edited by SCSIRAID : 05-29-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #5200
pszypko

Problem with the Cable Card or Tuning Adapter?

I have Time Warner Binghamton, NY. Just had the cable card and tuning adapter installed yesterday. Everything worked great until I shut 'er down just after midnight. Today, the picture will freeze and display a message "this channel is not authorized. Contact your cable provider for more information". This happened on ESPN, TLC and TBS. It seems to happen a couple of minutes before the hour.

If I tune to a different channel, I get the folowing message, " This channel is temporarily unavailable. Press SELECT to try tuning to this channel again. Contact your cable previder for more information."

The locals in HD work fine. The frozen channels will come back without a reboot at about 3 to 5 minutes past the hour.

Anyone experiece this and was it the cable card or the tuning adapter?

Thanks!

Old 05-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #5201
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszypko View Post
I have Time Warner Binghamton, NY. Just had the cable card and tuning adapter installed yesterday. Everything worked great until I shut 'er down just after midnight. Today, the picture will freeze and display a message "this channel is not authorized. Contact your cable provider for more information". This happened on ESPN, TLC and TBS. It seems to happen a couple of minutes before the hour.

If I tune to a different channel, I get the folowing message, " This channel is temporarily unavailable. Press SELECT to try tuning to this channel again. Contact your cable previder for more information."

The locals in HD work fine. The frozen channels will come back without a reboot at about 3 to 5 minutes past the hour.

Anyone experiece this and was it the cable card or the tuning adapter?

Thanks!
SDV channels "time out" after X period of time without a channel change to them (which happens every time your TiVo starts to record something).

So if it only happens in the mornings, that's normal. It'll only affect Suggestions.

Just Ch Up and Ch Down to get the channel back.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:53 AM   #5202
wlwest82

Quote:
You don't have digital service but you do have a CableCARD ??? How did that happen? Who provided the card?
I used to have digital service, which is why I got the card. But in 2008 we scaled back our service to save money, and frankly I never thought about it until recently. We're thinking of getting an HDTV soon to actually hook up to the HDTivo, so I was wondering about getting the HD channels. ("Why did you get an HD Tivo without an HDTV??" he heard ringing throughout the land. Well we got the Tivo and the TV for free, so it's hard to complain.)
Old 05-31-2011, 10:59 AM   #5203
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I used to have digital service, which is why I got the card. But in 2008 we scaled back our service to save money, and frankly I never thought about it until recently. We're thinking of getting an HDTV soon to actually hook up to the HDTivo, so I was wondering about getting the HD channels. ("Why did you get an HD Tivo without an HDTV??" he heard ringing throughout the land. Well we got the Tivo and the TV for free, so it's hard to complain.)
Your's is a very unusual situation. I've always assumed I would have to surrender my CableCARDs if I dropped digital cable (or dropped cable TV altogether). And I've wondered if they would roll a truck to pick up the cards and tuning adapter or make me take them to the nearest TWC store, which is a 40 minute drive each way. Did they stop the card rental charge on your account?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:11 AM   #5204
pszypko

Arrow

Quote:
SDV channels "time out" after X period of time without a channel change to them (which happens every time your TiVo starts to record something).

So if it only happens in the mornings, that's normal. It'll only affect Suggestions.

Just Ch Up and Ch Down to get the channel back.
Thanks!

I've tried this, but still get the error message " This channel is temporarily unavailable. Press SELECT to try tuning to this channel again. Contact your cable previder for more information."

I've narrowed it down to channels in the 800 - 821 range, mostly sports related (Golf, Versus, MSG, YES, ESPN NEWS, ESPN1 and ESPN2). I called tech support and tried an automated hit and that worked for a day. Bruins vs. Canucks are on Versus tonight so I'm starting to panic!

Old 06-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #5205
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszypko View Post
Thanks!

I've tried this, but still get the error message " This channel is temporarily unavailable. Press SELECT to try tuning to this channel again. Contact your cable previder for more information."

I've narrowed it down to channels in the 800 - 821 range, mostly sports related (Golf, Versus, MSG, YES, ESPN NEWS, ESPN1 and ESPN2). I called tech support and tried an automated hit and that worked for a day. Bruins vs. Canucks are on Versus tonight so I'm starting to panic!
If it's in a certain range I'd suspect that your cards are not properly authorized to receive that programming tier and/or a signal issue.

Just a guess, though.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:57 AM   #5206
cwoody222

Quote:
Do your local channels appear in your channel guide? If so, what number are they?

Can you tune to them using something like 704 instead of 4-1?
Old 06-01-2011, 10:58 AM   #5207
snowbunny

Quote:
Another hint: request a time Warner employee (not a contractor) who has experience with TiVo installs.

And the reason you get 2-99 when you plug into the tv is because they're analog and not encrypted.
I had THREE employees at my house yesterday. It was almost comical.

They claim they simply rebooted the TiVo and et voila, all the channels were there.

I find this rather improbable given being told that the problem was in the tuning adapter (being one-way) and the fact that both TiVo AND the tuning adapter had been rebooted multiple times.

However, I can now receive all the channels I checked on - will have to do a more thorough check this weekend, but things are vastly improved, including the time it takes to change channels.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #5208
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
I had THREE employees at my house yesterday. It was almost comical.

They claim they simply rebooted the TiVo and et voila, all the channels were there.

I find this rather improbable given being told that the problem was in the tuning adapter (being one-way) and the fact that both TiVo AND the tuning adapter had been rebooted multiple times.

However, I can now receive all the channels I checked on - will have to do a more thorough check this weekend, but things are vastly improved, including the time it takes to change channels.
My guess is that it was fixed remotely before the techs arrived at your place and they actually did nothing. (not that they knew that)
Old 06-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #5209
dpratt

Swapping cards from S3 to premiere

My trusty series 3 is on it's way out, and I'm looking at this as an excuse to buy a premiere.

I know that the customer support person is going to say that this requires a technician to come out, but all he's going to do is swap the cards, move the TA and call a hotline to get the authorization done. I see no reason at all that I can't do this myself.

I'm in Austin, TX - is there a contact at the local time warner office that I can talk to to do this? I can't imagine that it would take more than a few minutes if everything goes well.
dpratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #5210
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
My S3 used two S-Cards so I could use both tuners. (Pretty sure even I put in an M-Card, I'd need two of them in that device.)

The Premiere will need one M-Card so you can use both tuners.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #5211
cwoody222

Correct, the original Series3 required 2 Cards even if they were M-Cards. Depending on the original install, they may be M-Cards (S-Cards were discontinued awhile back)

The Premiere requires 1 M-Card (it only has one slot so it cannot use 2 S-Cards).

So if the original poster has S-Cards in his Series3, he's going to need a truck roll to get an M-Card.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #5212
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
If he has any M-Cards in his Series 3 though, can he use that in his Premiere?

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #5213
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
If he has any M-Cards in his Series 3 though, can he use that in his Premiere?
Theoretically, I think so.

But they'd still need to be paired.

To the Original Poster - have you tried to contact TWC support via twitter or the special CableCARD 800 number (both in this thread). They MAY be able to help. But I have a feeling they're going to require a truck roll, unfortunately.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #5214
cwoody222

Is there anywhere on the diag screens to tell the original poster if they're S or M cards? In case he's scared to pop them out or if it's inconvenient to do so?
Old 06-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #5215
wlwest82

Quote:
Did they stop the card rental charge on your account?
TWC? Is that a joke? Cause it's funny. At this point, I look out on the future and reason with myself that I may get digital service again soon (next year, maybe) and paying the rental over that time is going to be less than giving the card back and having them roll a truck to reinstall it.

Stop the rental charge...What a comedian!

Quote:
Do your local channels appear in your channel guide? If so, what number are they?

Can you tune to them using something like 704 instead of 4-1?
Hmm, now that's an interesting question. I hadn't thought of that. I'll check tonight.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #5216
wlwest82

Quote:
Hmm, now that's an interesting question. I hadn't thought of that. I'll check tonight.
cwoody222 was correct! I was indeed receiving the HD signals way up in the 400s. Never dawned on me to check. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #5217
MicahG

cablecards on the way out?

I keep hearing that TWC is moving away from CableCards, but I feel like they've been saying this for a long time. Anyone have any info or insight? I heard one TWC dude say they take the cards and they hook up a box to the tivo, which didn't make much sense to me. I haven't experienced a loss of channels which TWC is saying will happen. Just wondering though...
MicahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #5218
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahG View Post
I keep hearing that TWC is moving away from CableCards, but I feel like they've been saying this for a long time. Anyone have any info or insight? I heard one TWC dude say they take the cards and they hook up a box to the tivo, which didn't make much sense to me. I haven't experienced a loss of channels which TWC is saying will happen. Just wondering though...
Not true.

They'd LIKE to stop offering them but they legally have to support 3rd party devices like TiVo and it wouldn't work with another box.

Your TWC person is either lying or uninformed. Or speaking about a SDV Adapter box which works WITH CCs not in place of them.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #5219
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
The box is's talking about sounds like the SDV adapter for areas that have employed Switched Digital Video... but even still, the TiVo still needs CableCards.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #5220
MicahG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
The box is's talking about sounds like the SDV adapter for areas that have employed Switched Digital Video... but even still, the TiVo still needs CableCards.
Ok that makes sense. Has anyone in the So Cal area had one of these adapters installed? I think I read they are free, right? It doesn't mess with the CC's config does it? I just don't want to go through that pain again. I don't even know if my area is SDV or not.
MicahG is offline   Reply With Quote