TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-30-2006, 11:21 AM   #481
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!

Well "Victor" (another supervisor) was here this morning and we installed 2 new cards just for the hell of it. He called in the card serial numbers and had them matched to the host IDs. He said he'd done 2 TiVos already so he felt confident.

So much for that...

It's 3 hours later and there's still no change. Still just the locals showing up. Still says Waiting for Auth and Waiting for EMMs.

I keep insisting there is something wrong with my account and they keep insisting there's nothing wrong on their end.

I've suggested that they literally delete all my packages and let's add them back one by one (starting with cable modem, then adding the HD for the cablecards, then adding the digital cable standard def box services - which continues as of now to get all the channels i am supposed to get) but no one seems to want to do that. I've suggested cloning someone else's working account to mine, but they keep insisting the codes already match.

I'm out of patience and out of ideas. If this keeps up for more than another week I am returning the S3 and getting my $1000 back, which will really really suck considering how long I have waited for this. But I can't justify spending $1000 just to have a whopping 8 local channels in high-def.
macsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:32 AM   #482
VoodooNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsamurai
Well "Victor" (another supervisor) was here this morning and we installed 2 new cards just for the hell of it. He called in the card serial numbers and had them matched to the host IDs. He said he'd done 2 TiVos already so he felt confident.

So much for that...

It's 3 hours later and there's still no change. Still just the locals showing up. Still says Waiting for Auth and Waiting for EMMs.

I keep insisting there is something wrong with my account and they keep insisting there's nothing wrong on their end.

I've suggested that they literally delete all my packages and let's add them back one by one (starting with cable modem, then adding the HD for the cablecards, then adding the digital cable standard def box services - which continues as of now to get all the channels i am supposed to get) but no one seems to want to do that. I've suggested cloning someone else's working account to mine, but they keep insisting the codes already match.

I'm out of patience and out of ideas. If this keeps up for more than another week I am returning the S3 and getting my $1000 back, which will really really suck considering how long I have waited for this. But I can't justify spending $1000 just to have a whopping 8 local channels in high-def.
I fear I may have the same problem. This really sucks.
VoodooNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:42 AM   #483
Lisa898

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooNYC
I fear I may have the same problem. This really sucks.

It's *got* to be the guys who send the codes. I'm all set and have everything, including HDHBO etc.

I had my authorization on the cards before the guy left my house. The waiting for EMM took about 45 minutes. If Victor is the supervisor, I'm pretty sure he's the supervisor of the guy who was at my place-my guy was talking to him while he was here. I'm in the Carroll Gardens zip code. Can you guys make the guys on the phone look at my account somehow? I'm in the same area and it went totally smoothly.

From reading around here, if you dont' have the authorization, I don't think they paired your cards to your host id or whatever it is correctly.
Lisa898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:46 AM   #484
VoodooNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa898
It's *got* to be the guys who send the codes. I'm all set and have everything, including HDHBO etc.

I had my authorization on the cards before the guy left my house. The waiting for EMM took about 45 minutes. If Victor is the supervisor, I'm pretty sure he's the supervisor of the guy who was at my place-my guy was talking to him while he was here. I'm in the Carroll Gardens zip code. Can you guys make the guys on the phone look at my account somehow? I'm in the same area and it went totally smoothly.
I agree, has to be the authorization guy. I'm going to try, but I'm having a hell of a time getting a supervisor. Been hung up on 5 times.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:49 AM   #485
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!

Update - just got a phone call from a different supervisor. When I told him I was about ready to cry out of frustration he said "Don't cry - give me a shot." At least he made me laugh

Anyway, he asked for the S3 SERIAL number (note, this is thesame as the TiVo Service #), which no one else has asked for. He said that is supposed to be entered in order for the pairing to work. He's also looking again at alee's account (alee and i have been in touch via email and are in the same TWCNYC service area) to try again to replicate everything since alee's cablecards are working and mine aren't.

Bottom line - he is working until 7pm and has assured me a call back once he's grabbed someone from the IT department to go over my account again with a fine tooth comb. I believe he'll at least try since he gave me his direct dial phone number and I've informed him that his phone will never stop ringing if this doesn't get fixed!
Old 09-30-2006, 11:58 AM   #486
Lisa898

Quote:
I agree, has to be the authorization guy. I'm going to try, but I'm having a hell of a time getting a supervisor. Been hung up on 5 times.

I think you need to get the installer back and have him hang around until both cards say authorized. He can keep calling in until he gets someone who does it correctly.

ok, the cable guy just called me to check if my channels came in. I told him to call you (voodo) back because yours wasn't working. He said he was going to call in and have them send another hit to your box. He *says* that after he left my place, he called some other guy who knew more about how to do this and had them send another hit to my box. He says he will call you back. I didn't know how to tell him to send another hit to macsamuri because he didn't go there today. I'm almost positive that he did go to voodo's place.

FYI-does your phone not accept calls that block the number? He has a blocked number, so if he tried to call you back it won't go through.

Good luck to both of you.

One last thought-he made me literally unplug the tivo and replug it in while he was here to do something to the cards after he called in the authorizations. You might try that.

Last edited by Lisa898 : 09-30-2006 at 12:08 PM.
Lisa898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:12 PM   #487
j2chulo
The Bad Guy (Tech)

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmX
LA area: Called tonight at 10pm, and they're coming out on tuesday. $25 install fee, $1.75 a month for the card. They said they had no way in the computer to tell the installer to bring 2 cards out at the same time, so I'm supposed to bug the installer guy when he arrives and see if he has an extra on him.
We get that all the time. LOL and who ever told you that they is no way to tell us to bring 2 cards is wrong. all they gotta do its put it on the commend. Cust want 2 Cable card that it. today i had a job where they didn't say how many card the cust want. but since these tivo series 3 came out lots of people are getting it and i know most of these people who has it want the 2 cable card so i try to ask my supervisor for and extra card in case i need it. LOL Nah all the time i get it though
j2chulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:16 PM   #488
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa898

From reading around here, if you dont' have the authorization, I don't think they paired your cards to your host id or whatever it is correctly.
Lisa - it probably was my guy on the phone with your guy. Was your guy Juan? A young guy - told Victor over the walkie that he'd been here before? He had... he was the first installer here 2 weeks ago In fact, he gave me his email address since I asked him if he did any side work.

... just got another phone call. Victor is on his way back here. More updates later!
Old 09-30-2006, 12:18 PM   #489
j2chulo
The Bad Guy (Tech)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnelengineer
I have had about 7 cablecards installed over the last year. Not one has been as easy as insert card and call a phone number. These cards have to be "Married" to the tv's and devices. Sometimes it takes 15 minutes for the signal to come through. Once visit took 4 cards until they found one that worked 100%. If you are trying to get 2 cards from the cable company you will be making another trip back once you find 1 of not both of the cards don't work right.
True about this but scientific atlanta has updated they card so we are getting news card still some of them are bad but i will say 90% are working. so hey we Improving. lol and yeah the TVs ( Tivo ) need to be married to the card which mean we need the Host ID number from the Device to add it to the Card Mac Address. in order to work proper. and yeah after we install these card some tvs (Tivos) take less time to pop the channels in but other can take over an hour so don't blame us ( Tech ) i know we wish everything work as soon as we pop the card inside the Tivos. l
Old 09-30-2006, 12:21 PM   #490
ingenue007
UNLUCKY W/TW AUSTIN

TW Austin...again

my third tech in less than 24 hours is here. he removed the stuck card with pliers. doesn't appear damaged. he's been working 1.5 hours so far and still missing channels.

btw, if TW messes up your installation call, complain and get the installation charges knocked off your accnt. They are crediting me 35.00.
ingenue007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:27 PM   #491
j2chulo
The Bad Guy (Tech)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowheeler
TW tech showed up at my house today. Had never seen or heard of a Tivo Series 3. Installed two cablecards. Set them up. And left. Took less than an hour. I'm a believer.
Its it working?
Old 09-30-2006, 12:32 PM   #492
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!

LOL - I recognize j2chulo I'm glad someone from Time Warner is actually reading these posts now!
Old 09-30-2006, 12:33 PM   #493
j2chulo
The Bad Guy (Tech)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenue007
On card 2, I am loosing local NBC channel. One card 1, I loose almost every local channel, TNT, DiscoveryHD, UNIHD. All I care about are upper HD channels. I don't even really watch analog channels except for FX. Tech says basically he can't get channels to work and implying that I will never get all my channels and I should go back to digital box and that cable cards are a 'new' technology that Time Warner doesn't fully support. He's an idiot just like everyone else there.

I'm not dislodging the card until the tech comes. If he breaks it, they are paying for it.
LOL I know lot of you guys blame on us. Believe me Its nah our fault. we try our best. I mean i know i do. I don't want to get repeat call on me. so i try everything i got on my hand to do the best. but yeah about activating channels and getting the card to work. Most of the time is nah a tech fault but and office fault. if we give them all the info they need to get the card up and running that should end our job there. but Nah lot of time we have to call the office 2,3 and 4 time to make sure all the info had been entered corred. and the the codes on the account are good. sorry you're having all this trouble
Old 09-30-2006, 12:49 PM   #494
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!

I know it's not your fault, Juan - or anyone else's in the field. You're ok with me

Victor is here again now and he's on the phone with someone else who is trying to help.

I have such a headache!
Old 09-30-2006, 12:53 PM   #495
ingenue007
UNLUCKY W/TW AUSTIN

OK well. tech #3 just left. He got it down to 1 channel missing on both cable cards (local NBC HD) and then swapped cards #8 or 9 in and now I am down to missing a bunch of channels on both cards. He was nice to leave me his cell and supervisors number to call later to see if I can get the channels. He is going to stop by Monday afterwork if I still don't get channels. He's working hard, but it looks like it's an issue on TW's end with authorization of channels. I am supposed to wait for all the hits to supposedly come through now and hopefully give me channels.

This is unbelieveable. I probably hold the record for # of cable cards tried.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:03 PM   #496
j2chulo
The Bad Guy (Tech)

Quote:
LOL - I recognize j2chulo I'm glad someone from Time Warner is actually reading these posts now!
AJJA oh you do... LOL nah glad you do. hope you don't want to kill me too. lol so its it your tivo working? did vitor show up yet?
Old 09-30-2006, 01:06 PM   #497
j2chulo
The Bad Guy (Tech)

Quote:
Hey i sent few hit to your cable cards. I also called the office and asked some one there to double check your account to make sure everything its correct also asked him to send few authorisation to your cards. He said everything its good with your account, and he sent few activation to your card. Let me know if you still having the problem.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:15 PM   #498
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!

SUCESS !

I'd say more but I'm still in shock

HUGE Thanks to Molly, Desmond, Victor, Greg - and of course, Juan, who was lucky to be here when it was only my Plasma that wasn't working with the CableCard - before the TiVo nightmare began a few days later.

All of you will be mentioned by name in the very long letter I'll be sending to TWCNYC HQ in recognition for the many hours you all collectively put in to resolving this problem. You are all tops with me and I hope every other Time Warner employee takes a cue from your work.

Victor told me he was going to make sure a "tech tip" got written up about exactly how this has to be done to achieve success so hopefully this will help future TiVo owners and TWC techs get it right the first time, every time.

And thanks also to Lisa in Carol Gardens, VooDoo in Brooklyn, Stephen H in Murray Hill and Al Lee in Manhattan for collectively sharing the good and the bad so that all of us can benefit from it.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:41 PM   #499
alee

Woohoo! macsamurai's up and running!

What was the missing piece of the equation?
alee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 01:44 PM   #500
VoodooNYC

Thank God!!!!!!!!! Is it insane to get so emotional about a Tivo? Someone just called and said he would be back out to me too. I knew it had to be an authorization issue.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:03 PM   #501
VoodooNYC

This is too funny. Victor is here now. Hoping for success.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:05 PM   #502
Diacritical

Quote:
Thank God!!!!!!!!! Is it insane to get so emotional about a Tivo? Someone just called and said he would be back out to me too. I knew it had to be an authorization issue.
At least they are coming back out. Mine said they would be back out today for Card 1 (2 is working fine), but now it will be *next* Monday (9th) before they can be here. That's partly due to me because I will be in Denver from Tuesday through Friday -- but yesterday they said it wouldbe today.
Diacritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:30 PM   #503
jfh3

Quote:
Anyway, he asked for the S3 SERIAL number (note, this is thesame as the TiVo Service #), which no one else has asked for. He said that is supposed to be entered in order for the pairing to work.
I don't have TWC, but unless they have written some software ESPECIALLY for Series 3 authorizations (very doubtful), they don't need the serial number of the Series 3, but the serial number of the CableCARD(s).

The Tivo works like any CableCard device, like a TV. They need the serial number of the cable card (printed on the card), and the host and data id fields (shown in the CableCARD info screens when the cards are inserted to pair the cards.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:33 PM   #504
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!

The trick appears to be in the sequence that they do things in the office where they put the serial numbers, host id's and codes in for the pairing AND in the volume of "hits" sent. The guy who got it working just kept sending repeated hits... like hundreds of them... over and over again until the info started populating on my card info screens and channels starting tuning in.

The order on my end in terms of which card went in first was the same for me as it was the very first time.

1 ) insert cable card 1 in bottom slot. give main office the serial number of the card you just inserted (write it down - you're probably going to be repeating it a lot!). The serial number on the SA PowerKey cards (mine anyway) is the TOP (line 1) number on the card, and starts with PK. Now give him the Host ID for that card, from the Host ID screen on your TiVo. Do not insert the 2nd card until the CableCard CP screen says "CP Auth Received." I used the left arrow to go in and out of the screen a few times waiting for it to update. It took just 2-3 minutes. Then we looked at the Decryption status - initially it said Waiting for ECM. Now that it is working it says "ok." The PowerKey status previously said "Waiting for EMM." Now it says "Ready."

2 ) Once the first card is making progress, insert the 2nd card (top slot). Call in the serial number and host ID, as you did with the first one - in my case we still had the guy (Greg.. my hero) on the phone and he was sending repeated hits the entire time. Repeat the above steps.. If you don't see CP Auth Received within a few minutes, they aren't doing it right. It showed up right away for me on the 2nd card. The only difference on my 2nd card is that it still said "Waiting for ECM" and/or Waiting for EMM even once I was finally able to tune in all the channels, including premiums. So I am not sure what the deal is with that but since every channel is working I don't care!

Seriously - from the time Victor returned this afternoon and we popped the cards back out to start with Greg from scratch (same cards, not new ones), it was 10 minutes until all my channels were coming in. Now I obviously didn't test all 1000+ channels in that time so it's very possible some of the ones I don't care about are still trickling in (i don't watch sports, for instance, but we did test ESPN anyway), but there seems to be no reason on earth that it should take more than 1 hour start to finish if the "code man" at the other end of the phone knows what they are doing.

Greg said it's important to call in the first card and make sure it's Auth'd before even inserting the 2nd card. Since he got mine working I will not argue that point - but no one else here seemed to do that so it makes sense.

VooDoo - emotional? Yes, it's just a friggin TV but it is emotional. It's frustrating when something (especially a $1000 something) doesn't work the way it's supposed to and more frustrating when the only people who can fix it seem to not care at all about what you're trying to accomplish. It's hard to accept that something that should be relatively simple is made so complicated because a handful of folks at the top who have the correct information don't always pass it along to those below them, leaving the guys in the field and at the office to struggle just to get a basic installation wrapped up. it shouldn't be that way.

I should not have had to call the TWCNYC main office in order to get a Public Affairs rep assigned to me just to get my cable working properly. The first 6 "customer service" reps and supervisors who all claimed to want to help me should have had the tools at their disposal to do that. but they don't. And they really don't care if my cable is working or not because their paycheck will be the same at the end of the week regardless and they can always blame someone else if I happen to get their correct name and ID number and complain about them to another supervisor - who also can't do anything but pass the problem along to someone else.

Time Warner management - do yourselves and your customers a favor and give your employees the tools and information they need to get the job done. Everyone will be a lot happier and you'll hear fewer complaints, waste less money on overtime and have a better reputation than you currently do. As an organization I think TWCNYC is a "miserable failure." The people who work for you are only as good as you allow them to be, however - and Victor, Greg, Molly, Desmond, Lewis, Juan and 3 or 4 others whose names escape me right now are all ready, willing and able to do the best job they can for you, and for us, your customers. Their only problem is that their hands are tied most of the time and that's management's fault, not theirs. All of these people showed a commitment to getting the job done and were willing to keep digging until they found the answers they needed. Wouldn't it be easier to give them those answers beforehand?
Old 09-30-2006, 02:36 PM   #505
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
I don't have TWC, but unless they have written some software ESPECIALLY for Series 3 authorizations (very doubtful), they don't need the serial number of the Series 3, but the serial number of the CableCARD(s).

The Tivo works like any CableCard device, like a TV. They need the serial number of the cable card (printed on the card), and the host and data id fields (shown in the CableCARD info screens when the cards are inserted to pair the cards.
very true. but he wanted to cover ALL of the bases. ultimately the serial number of the tivo itself was irrelevant, but it made us all feel better knowing that it was there in case anyone questioned it.

The cablecard serial number and the host ID for each card are all that is truly needed. And in some cases the TiVo model number (TCD648250B) is they feel the need to verify that it is listed as a supported device.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:38 PM   #506
rhanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID
If the cablecard is in "waiting CP Auth" state then it isnt paired properly. It may be providing channel info to Tivo but it shouldnt decode any of the encrypted content. Suggest you go to "Test Channels" menu for that card and tune to encrypted channels like Discovery HD, InHD, HDNet, ESPNHD.... I bet that you will get a black screen. If not... your provider must be sending those unencrypted or the cablecard is broke in a 'good' way.... which is unlikely on both counts.
I agree. Since I primarily record off the unencrypted local channels it wasn't obvious that only one tuner was getting the encrypted channels.

I was tied up at work until today. The card that is 'Waiting for CP Auth' does not get the encrypted channels. So me 'success' was only partial. Hope I can get this resolved today.

I think the tech might have given the office bad serial # on one of the cards because I was looking at the work order something seemed off on the numbers he wrote down. I pulled the card and sure enough he copied the number wrong. If that number is in the computer at TWC thats why my second card isn't authorizeing.

Good to hear that macsamurai got everything working.
rhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:46 PM   #507
ingenue007
UNLUCKY W/TW AUSTIN

mine says "cp auth received" deycrption status is OK and power key status is OK yet i am missing quite a bit of upper HD channels.

I think waiting on channels to appear is BS. if they appear, it would be within 15 mins max, not waiting hours. I guess visit #4 (or 5 or 6 or 7 etc) will be needed for me to get channels.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:46 PM   #508
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!

There was a typo on one of my cards serial numbers after the first trip this morning. The tech that was here read it correctly - but whoever entered it on the other end put a J where a G should have been. The serial numbers were correct on the previous cards (i know because I read them myself and had them read back to me several times).

These guys are giving this info over walkies.. there's background noise and accents to consider. It's not their fault, but mistakes are easy to make when a G sounds like a J over the walkie or someone writes it down wrong somewhere along the line. Don't trust the the number is correct until you have it read back once it's been entered into the account and you've verified it is exactly right.

Rooting for you rhanson!
Old 09-30-2006, 03:07 PM   #509
VoodooNYC

Success! All channels on both tuners!!!

Thanks to Lisa and Macsamurai and alee and of course.....Victor! My savior, He knew all about this forum too. Hilarious.

Most importantly: The problem we were having was that you need to authorize card 1 first, THEN put in Card 2 and authorize it. (Like it SAYS in the Tivo instructions! Doh!)
I showed Victor the instructions (first time he'd seen it) and he asked for a copy and said he would put it in everyone's mailbox at TWC.

Anyway, I gotta go play with my Tivo! Yah!!
Old 09-30-2006, 03:11 PM   #510
eisenb11

I just had my install today. Almost everything is working correctly, but I'm running into a problem with G4.

I get locals and analog. I also get HD. The HD Plus, HBO HD, and Showtime HD packages seem to be working...

I can't seem to get G4, though on chan 117.

I have TWC in Redondo Beach, CA...

Anyone else having this issue?
eisenb11 is offline   Reply With Quote