TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-17-2010, 08:43 PM   #4891
cwoody222

My setup was rock solid. I unplugged the TiVo today by accident. D'oh! It was during 2 recordings too! As it rebooted, the TA blinked green. Once TiVo rebooted it went solid green almost immediately.

I pressed "channel guide" and got the "Acquiring Channels" screen for about 2-3 minutes.

After that, TiVo picked up both recordings. I cancelled them manually to get them another day and tested both CableCARD tunings. Worked fine.

Fwew! I was afraid that reboot would mess everything up!
Old 06-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #4892
macd2

Quote:
Originally Posted by notting View Post
What I think happened here is that (for whatever reason) the 1xx and the 11xx versions of the broadcast channels now have the same name (WRALDT, for example.) So, when the Tivo moved season passes that were on the HD WRALDT channel before, it just picked the first channel that showed up as WRALDT.
I think the 1xx channels are mis-named.
In the guide information, it lists the 1xx channel as HD, but it is not.
I've manually re-done all of my season passes.
I'm hoping the mis-naming is fixed at some point, and/or at least doesn't cause issues going forward.
macd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:42 AM   #4893
hypractv

TWC installed my TA on Monday morning. Ran through Guided Setup again. After a restart my Guide has all the channels above 1000 that are supposed to be there however it will not tune many of them.

For some reason I can tune to 1301 (TNT), 1500 (ESPN), and 1501 (ESPN 2) the others not so much.

The TA is solid green.

TWC truck rolling back tomorrow afternoon to bring a new TA and CC to try again.
hypractv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #4894
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypractv View Post
TWC installed my TA on Monday morning. Ran through Guided Setup again. After a restart my Guide has all the channels above 1000 that are supposed to be there however it will not tune many of them.

For some reason I can tune to 1301 (TNT), 1500 (ESPN), and 1501 (ESPN 2) the others not so much.

The TA is solid green.

TWC truck rolling back tomorrow afternoon to bring a new TA and CC to try again.
Try removing the USB cord from the back of the TA. If this is not a premiere you should get a message saying Tuning adapter disconnected or powered down... If you get that plug it back in & it should change to connected. If it does then got to TA menu then TA diagnostics, There scroll down to "Network & tuning status" highlight & hit select. When you go in there you should see the "Tuning mode: QUAM 256" If not then the TA needs a hit from the DNCS. IF it does say then hit "Clear" button on the bottom left of your remote, then hit "Live TV" button on the top right hand side of remote. This should take you to the Acquiring channel info screen for a few & then go to live TV. Check the channels after that.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #4895
hypractv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
Try removing the USB cord from the back of the TA. If this is not a premiere you should get a message saying Tuning adapter disconnected or powered down... If you get that plug it back in & it should change to connected. If it does then got to TA menu then TA diagnostics, There scroll down to "Network & tuning status" highlight & hit select. When you go in there you should see the "Tuning mode: QUAM 256" If not then the TA needs a hit from the DNCS. IF it does say then hit "Clear" button on the bottom left of your remote, then hit "Live TV" button on the top right hand side of remote. This should take you to the Acquiring channel info screen for a few & then go to live TV. Check the channels after that.
Thanks for the info!

Upon unplugging the TA I received no message from the Tivo. Upon going into the TA diagnostics under the TA Menu the Tivo shows no diag information. I am thinking my TA is hosed. TWC is already on schedule to roll back with a fresh TA and CC tomorrow evening. I am sure it's just a matter of getting decent hardware and proper syncing.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #4896
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Want to make sure the FCC knows the TA troubles you're having, and refute TWC's rosy representations? See **this**.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #4897
hypractv

Done deal... Truck Roll brought out a new TA this afternoon, the first one was bad.

After a Tivo restart and a handful of Cable Card hits I am up and running with all the appropriate content.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:08 AM   #4898
cwoody222

For the past two nights the last channel I watched before going to bed was a SDV channel. The following morning I woke up with a message saying that channel could not be tuned and to press Select to try again.

One time, Select worked. Another time, I had to Ch Up and Ch Down again.

Both times the green light was solid.

Weird.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #4899
mercurial
Retro-Av

Welcome to the world of tuning adapters.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:32 AM   #4900
ShaneF

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
For the past two nights the last channel I watched before going to bed was a SDV channel. The following morning I woke up with a message saying that channel could not be tuned and to press Select to try again.

Weird.
Yup, this happens to me all the time too. You're not alone.
ShaneF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #4901
cwoody222

I called TW today with a simple question about my bill. They offered me Showtime for 6 months for $5. I agreed. The operator hit my card and my TiVo rebooted. Upon reboot, no Showtime.

She transferred me to a tech who said he only handles networking issues. So he transferred me to a 3rd person.

That person was able to get my new channels working.

3 people and 30 minutes just to turn on Showtime. Man, they have NO CLUE what they're doing with CableCARDs, do they?!
Old 06-29-2010, 10:00 AM   #4902
cwoody222

Just realized something with my bill.

They're charging me $2.50 per CableCARD but then an additional $2.00 on the SECOND card only for "programming" or something?

Is that because they think that the 2nd card is an additional outlet in another room? If they realize that both cards are in the same device will they waive that $2?

I seem to recall reading something along those lines before.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #4903
atroy

Sorry for the cross posting, but does anyone have TW in Bergen County, NJ? I'm only getting 13 channels on my Premiere without an adapter. I'm very worried whether or not the TA will resolve the problems. If not, does anyone know Tivo's return policy? I've only had it for a week or so, and got lifetime service at that.

AT
atroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #4904
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by atroy View Post
Sorry for the cross posting, but does anyone have TW in Bergen County, NJ? I'm only getting 13 channels on my Premiere without an adapter. I'm very worried whether or not the TA will resolve the problems. If not, does anyone know Tivo's return policy? I've only had it for a week or so, and got lifetime service at that.

AT
Theoretically, yes, that's the point of the adapter.

Getting a tech who knows what they're doing is another story.

Good luck!
Old 08-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #4905
jpfreak33

I have had Tivo for years and I'm getting ready to move into an area with TW. From what I'm ready here there are A LOT of issues! Almost seems like too much of a hassle to even deal with. I am thinking of getting the Premium and then hooking it up. But with all the errors and bad cards and bad tech support, I don't know if it is worth all the hassle. Does EVERYONE deal with these issues? The TW DVR sucks as far as features compared to a Tivo but if I can get it and use it every day without jumping through hoops it might be worth the sacrifice. Thoughts??
jpfreak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #4906
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfreak33 View Post
I have had Tivo for years and I'm getting ready to move into an area with TW. From what I'm ready here there are A LOT of issues! Almost seems like too much of a hassle to even deal with. I am thinking of getting the Premium and then hooking it up. But with all the errors and bad cards and bad tech support, I don't know if it is worth all the hassle. Does EVERYONE deal with these issues? The TW DVR sucks as far as features compared to a Tivo but if I can get it and use it every day without jumping through hoops it might be worth the sacrifice. Thoughts??
My SETUP was a pain. But I was persistent (and really a nag) and finally got everything working in about 2 weeks. They did mess something up on their end a few weeks later but that was fixed in 2 days.

Once you get it up and running, just leave it alone and you should be OK

I came from OTA + basic cable and I can say although I really hate the company and hate paying as much as I do to a company that hates me for being a CableCARD customer, I do love having TiVo functionality + digital cable + HD.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #4907
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfreak33 View Post
My 3 TiVo's with CC's and TA's are working great on TWC Raleigh. I see only occasional issues which arent earth shattering.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #4908
squiddohio

Don't generalize from insufficient data.
Happy users with no problems seldom post here, because there is no reason to. If TiVo were that bad, they be out of business. I have had lots of TiVos over the years, none of which have ever had any problems, and several TW boxes (before TiVo had a HD unit), and the TiVo is far superior to TW, and well worth the extra upfront cost, which amortizes nicely over its lifespan, unlike the TW rental units.
I'm not sure what "sucks as far as features" means, but TiVo has far more features, a much better interface, guide data for 12-13 days instead of 5, and many more and easier to use search features, in addition to Netflix (and other) streaming sources of content.
To answer your question, no "EVERYONE" (in caps?) does not have these issues, only the few who post here. Count them up and divide by the number of units in service (actually, you would divide the number of units in service by the number of defective units).
If you are still not sure, get a TW box and try it out for a month, then order a TiVo, which I think you can return within 30 days if you do not like it. From what I understand, almost none are returned under such circumstances. I dumped my TW HD box as soon as the Series 3 HD box was introduced, and I'm glad I did.
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #4909
seggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post

Weird.
Another WNY user here. I have had to call TWC on other issues (8 blinking lights) and asked their 3rd level (or TA/SDV tech) why I get that message.

His answer makes sense and it is that your SDV session times out and you loose lock. Think of it this way, if you sign into your internet banking (this assumes you do such things) and then leave it, it will eventually time you out and require to re-login.

Seems that the same is true for TAs. If you leve them 'logged in' to one channel for too long, then they 'time out'.

One a side note, does anyone in the Buffalo/WNY area actually have M type CCs? I have 2 S cards and I would dearly love love to replace those with a single M type.

Seggers
seggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:45 PM   #4910
pL86

Tivo does a nice job of explaining and illustrating the channel timeout concept:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...nganSDVchannel

I personally think the timeout method is an overly aggressive method to reclaim bandwidth that leans too far in the direction of saving space over providing a consumer-friendly experience. Requiring viewers to periodically affirm they are still watching a channel is not user friendly and goes against the grain of what's basically the passive experience of watching TV. I disagree with the notion that a channel timeout is like a timed security logout on a bank website. The better analogy is the internet provider that shuts off a user's internet connection because she hasn't surf to a new website in a while.

Besides, there's the question of balancing. A timeout on a bank website or an ATM is arguably acceptable because the security risk is grave enough that it outweighs the burden imposed on a user. I'm not so sure the goal of maximizing bandwidth reclamation so clearly outweighs the cost imposed on the viewer. Would a significant amount of bandwidth really be used if there was no timeout and an SDV channel remained locked and open until changed? I would think most of the bandwidth savings from an SDV implementation is already achieved by only having to send out requested channels. Having channels time out certainly reclaims even more bandwidth but I tend to think the savings are relatively small and if they are, whether it's worth it. I'd be curious if any cable engineers have any real world data about how much bandwidth is really saved by the timeout and how long the timeout period usually is.
pL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:34 PM   #4911
LosAngelesSports

i need some serious help here.

I just moved to Downtown LA, and the neighborhood is served by Time Warner. I had Charter communications before, and everything worked fine with them (HD Tivo, one MCard and Tuning Adapter)

I have been here at the new place for two weeks now, and the techs have been here about every day. We have tried numerous cards. The problem everytime is that the card and tivo wont pair. In the conditional access screen, the Val is always ?. At one point, they had two supervisors, two managers and maintenance here at the building at the same time. All the levels to the building as well as to my floor are fine. I get the signal on my other tv with no tivo.

I called tivo and they said that the cable company needs to send a separate pairing and authorization hit. I even went and bought a premiere, and the same thing is happening with that one, so im sure its a time warner issue. I even let the tech take my tivos to their wherehouse and try connecting there and still no luck.

Im sick of this and im pissed off. How can they be so incompetent? what can i do? please help!
LosAngelesSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #4912
dlfl
Cranky old novice

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...78#post7722378

and
Old 08-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #4913
vseven

I just called up Time Warner (NE Ohio) and told the sales rep I wanted some information on CableCards. He said he would transfer me to someone that could help me. A minute later a girl answered the phone and I asked her if they had M cards available. She said yes they do. I asked home much they were per month. She said $2.95. I asked if I could self install it. She said no, a tech visit is required and it's $9.95. I asked if they provide a tuning adapter free with that. She said yes they do.

Hopefully I'll be buying a Tivo Premier soon...the up front cost is kinda hefty and I don't like the idea of paying a subscription fee but I'm already paying $21 a month for the TW box and DVR subscription so I figure over the years it will pay for itself. I also hope the tech is as knowledgeable as the sales person I just talked to. Thanks for this site....very helpful.

-Allan
vseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:44 AM   #4914
ShaneF

TWC western NY

After months of almost flawless behavior from my HD TiVo, cable cards and tuning adapter, I am now unable to get NBC (HD channel or analog channel) or CBS (HD channel, the analog channel works fine). When I try to tune them in I get the message that the channel is temporarily unavailable. Both channels work fine on my other old school TV with no TiVo. I've tried rebooting everything. Any other ideas? Dreading a call to TWC tech support.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:52 AM   #4915
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneF View Post
TWC western NY

After months of almost flawless behavior from my HD TiVo, cable cards and tuning adapter, I am now unable to get NBC (HD channel or analog channel) or CBS (HD channel, the analog channel works fine). When I try to tune them in I get the message that the channel is temporarily unavailable. Both channels work fine on my other old school TV with no TiVo. I've tried rebooting everything. Any other ideas? Dreading a call to TWC tech support.
No issues here in Buffalo. I was watching CBS HD this morning via TiVo/adapter.

Sounds like maybe your CableCARDs may have lost provisioning for those channels?

Do you twitter? Their twitter tech support is VERY good and quick to reply. twitter.com/twcablehelp I always try them before making a call.

If you do make a call get the CableCARD hotline number in this thread. Don't waste your time calling their normal customer service. They're clueless about CableCARD issues. If you have to, ask for a Tier 3 Support rep.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #4916
LosAngelesSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSports View Post
i need some serious help here.

I just moved to Downtown LA, and the neighborhood is served by Time Warner. I had Charter communications before, and everything worked fine with them (HD Tivo, one MCard and Tuning Adapter)

I have been here at the new place for two weeks now, and the techs have been here about every day. We have tried numerous cards. The problem everytime is that the card and tivo wont pair. In the conditional access screen, the Val is always ?. At one point, they had two supervisors, two managers and maintenance here at the building at the same time. All the levels to the building as well as to my floor are fine. I get the signal on my other tv with no tivo.

I called tivo and they said that the cable company needs to send a separate pairing and authorization hit. I even went and bought a premiere, and the same thing is happening with that one, so im sure its a time warner issue. I even let the tech take my tivos to their wherehouse and try connecting there and still no luck.

Im sick of this and im pissed off. How can they be so incompetent? what can i do? please help!
Well, after calling the cable card help desk, they solved the problem. it was a head in issue i guess. all i know is that it took about 17 truck rolls, numerous hours on the phone, and an amazing amount of time wasted to get my cable to work. When they came out for the second tivo, it literally took 10 seconds.
LosAngelesSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #4917
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Well, after calling the cable card help desk, they solved the problem. it was a head in issue i guess. all i know is that it took about 17 truck rolls, numerous hours on the phone, and an amazing amount of time wasted to get my cable to work. When they came out for the second tivo, it literally took 10 seconds.
Amazing isn't it? TWC staffs the NCCS with 4 or 5 people for years now, and yet their local support people don't use it. Would they really rather waste 17 truck rolls rather than use their own resource? Of course the cynical answer might be "yes -- their real purpose is to discourage TiVo users (with 17 truck rolls) while still maintaining a facade of corporate care (NCCS)".

and
Old 09-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #4918
cwoody222

Quote:
How sad. I'd agree with the cynical answer above except I don't think they're that smart.

I really think they're really just that dumb that they don't know how to do it.

Cheers to you for HOLDING YOUR GROUND and MAKING THEM fix it!
Old 09-13-2010, 11:26 AM   #4919
ShaneF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneF View Post
TWC western NY

I called the TWC CableCard support #. After poking around in my tuning adapter the support rep suspects that the incoming cable signal may be the problem so a tech is coming out in a week. Currently channels 2, 702, and 704 are gone, with 4 disappearing sporadically. (Tivo says searching for signal on cable in).
Old 09-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #4920
cwoody222

They ALWAYS think it's a signal issue just so they can get you off the phone and send a tech out.

Sounds fishy to me that a bad signal is only affecting a handful of channels.

I'd bet your CableCARDs somehow got screwed up and aren't provisioned properly to give you the correct stations.