TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #4861
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
I have a "CableCARD expert" coming to my home later this afternoon to fix the issue.

I told him that I had 2 single stream cards in my Series3. He wants to give me a single M card. I argued with him that that doesn't work. He fought me on it.

I'll be bringing a print out from TiVo.com home with me later.

*sigh*

What a joke.
an "expert" & doesn't know that the series 3 needs two cards? sigh
Old 06-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #4862
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Regarding the SDV failure-to-tune problem (see ***this*** for example), I think I experienced a twist on this tonight, but caused by the emergency messages that are forced on our screens. During one emergency message (of several in quick very annoying succession) the video on the SDV channel I was watching froze and it didn't restart after the message ended. In fact there was no video, which can be confirmed by hitting the live video button twice.

The DVR diagnostics for the channel were all nominal as if successfully tuned, including signal and program lock "yes", but the TA Session info showed "n/a" for the channel type and the SDV frequency was '0'. A manual retune brought the channel back but with a new SDV frequency and different PID's than before.

Theory: The SDV channel assignments are being screwed up by the emergency messages.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #4863
cwoody222

Confirmed that here in Buffalo most channels are already SDV.

My problem seems to be resolved for now (cross fingers) and was caused by my CableCARDs not being set up properly. Today's guy was much more knowledgable.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #4864
RTPGiants

Anxiously awaiting the channel changes...what time of day does it occur? Am I going to be fighting Tivo at midnight?
RTPGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:41 AM   #4865
RTPGiants

Grumble...woke up to find changeover occurred. Started guided setup. Got prompted for some analog channels. Got prompted for 101 (no signal), said I didn't receive it, and Tivo just gave up on anything digital and proceeded to go to the next connection stage. No way to force it to retry, etc. so now I'm waiting at a "preparing" for a setup that I know will be wrong.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #4866
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPGiants View Post
Grumble...woke up to find changeover occurred. Started guided setup. Got prompted for some analog channels. Got prompted for 101 (no signal), said I didn't receive it, and Tivo just gave up on anything digital and proceeded to go to the next connection stage. No way to force it to retry, etc. so now I'm waiting at a "preparing" for a setup that I know will be wrong.
That's how it was in Raleigh/Cary - It asked 2 (Univision for us), 19 (Shop NBC), and 101 (nothing). Then it did the download. I *think* after the download it asked if I got any premium channels. Not 100% positive, that could have been before but the download but I think it was after.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:03 AM   #4867
RTPGiants

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial View Post
That's how it was in Raleigh/Cary - It asked 2 (Univision for us), 19 (Shop NBC), and 101 (nothing). Then it did the download. I *think* after the download it asked if I got any premium channels. Not 100% positive, that could have been before but the download but I think it was after.
It asked about premium channels prior to the download. I said no because I don't get HBO, etc. Was premium referring to digital/SDV here? If so, oops.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:07 AM   #4868
cwoody222

If it helps, this is what I gathered was the proper steps, in order:

Unplug USB AND power from Adapter
Plug in Adapter
WAIT for solid green light
Plug USB from Adapter to TiVo
TiVo should recognize Adapter
Test channels
If you don't get channels, try rebooting the TiVo
Old 06-16-2010, 08:29 AM   #4869
RTPGiants

Quote:

Plug in Adapter
Test channels
Yeah, I'll try that later when I can get back to it. Prior to guided setup, I could not tune old digital (e.g. 255) or new digital (e.g. 100/1000s). I thought briefly about power cycling the TA, but then just tried without it.

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:32 AM   #4870
mercurial
Retro-Av

I did NOT unplug or disconnect the TA to do the lineup change for either of my S3s or my THD.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:40 AM   #4871
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:

Plug in Adapter
Test channels
Also:
1. Sometimes while waiting for solid green light, the light goes out completely. In that case press the reset button on front of TA.
2. This "WAITING" phase can take 10 minutes or more.
3. Sometimes you get 6-blinks-pause instead of a solid light. This is the standard signal that just means the TA is ready to go but isn't connected to the TiVo. If you get this it is time to reconnect the USB.
3. The reason you may have to reboot the TiVo is to get it to go through the "Acquiring Channels" phase where it reads the channel info from the TA. I wish there were some way to force this without a complete reboot.

Quote:
I did NOT unplug or disconnect the TA to do the lineup change for either of my S3s or my THD.
Some lineup changes are completely painless -- others aren't (and thus require the above procedure). The above procedure also is usually required if your TA loses subscription authorization (8-blinks), after TWC sends the "hit" to re-authorize it. This has happened many times to me and I always end up having to reboot the TiVo to get the channels back.

and

Last edited by dlfl : 06-16-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:52 AM   #4872
mercurial
Retro-Av

Yes and I've done it that many times for TA issues. But if he's not having blinking lights/TA issues, then the convention wisdom when his neighbors down the road did their switchover was that it wasn't necessary.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:54 AM   #4873
RTPGiants

Quote:
Yes and I've done it that many times for TA issues. But if he's not having blinking lights/TA issues, then the convention wisdom when his neighbors down the road did their switchover was that it wasn't necessary.
There was no blinking. But before guided setup, I could not tune new channels because a message came up stating that the TA didn't receive that channel. So I think the TA might just be confused. I'll probably power cycle it and see where we are then. If that doesn't work, I'll try a setup w/o the TA at all.

All after work though, so right now it's just speculation.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:01 AM   #4874
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
There was no blinking. But before guided setup, I could not tune new channels because a message came up stating that the TA didn't receive that channel. So I think the TA might just be confused. I'll probably power cycle it and see where we are then. If that doesn't work, I'll try a setup w/o the TA at all.

All after work though, so right now it's just speculation.
I would recommend the entire procedure outlined above (including disconnecting the USB) for this problem. And if you don't see the "Acquiring Channels" screen (rotating symbol, usually takes 2 mins), reboot your TiVo to force it.

and
Old 06-16-2010, 10:03 AM   #4875
notting

Quote:
My wife ran guided setup this morning without disconnecting the TA; while that didn't fix it, power cycling the TA then allowed everything to be tuned. The guide data is wrong, though, so it looks like we get to re-run guided setup at some point later today when we've got the time.
notting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #4876
RTPGiants

Ok, so was able to sneak away and try all this stuff again. Things are better. I can tune 1105 (WRAL), but I'm missing channels like SyFy HD, Discovery HD, etc. If I tune manually, nothing happens. If I go through the TA diagnostics, it can tune channels like ESPNHD, etc. which is good, but why am I missing this group?

I tried a disconnect/reconnect on TA and Tivo, which reacquired channels, but it's missing those still.

ETA: These sort of channels do not show up in the channel list if you go to Channel settings. Also names of ESPN channels are wrong.

Also ETA: These channels do show up on an HD digital box

Last edited by RTPGiants : 06-16-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:36 PM   #4877
RTPGiants

Ok, nevermind me. I'll just reply to myself constantly. A complete reboot of Tivo caused a new acquiring channels that lasted MUCH longer. After this, we're good to go.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:48 PM   #4878
jmfirestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWall View Post
If your problem is with mostly HD channels and not with non HD which are the lower channels then it would mean the hard drive is having problems keeping up with the I/O needed to record 1 or 2 HD channels at the same time. Remember TIVO is always recording the two channels the cable cards are tuned to unless you disconnect the cable line.
Turns out this was the right answer. At least I think it is. The guys came (2 of them this time - lead tech included) and stayed for a bit checking everything and couldn't find any issue. I left the cable line unhooked so I could watch the saved stuff.

About 5 days later the TiVo menus would not longer load fully, I would get the writing on a gray background. Shows would no longer play, anything I tried to play would just show a gray screen with the time moving as though I was in FF mode.

I ordered a replacement (larger!) HD to put in it since I am out of warranty anyway. It's sitting in my mailbox at home right now. I'll put it in tonight and hopefully find out it was just the HD and nothing more!

One thing that really bugs me though, is that I guess the techs were not happy about being at my house late. The animals just broke open the box on the side of my house with the wiring and left it open with the wires hanging out when they left. I called TWC and a week later nobody has come by to fix it yet.
jmfirestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #4879
bxojr

Guided setup loop

I'm attempting a guided setup to get the Raleigh lineup change. The first attempt got through "loading data" and asking me about what I receive on 25 and 101, but then it rebooted and started all over. Now loading data again (which will take hours), but I'm not optimistic about a different result this time.

Does this reboot have anything to do with the lineup change, or do I have a hard-drive problem I need to sort out before I can get back up and running? Just wondering if anybody else has seen this.
bxojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #4880
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxojr View Post
I'm attempting a guided setup to get the Raleigh lineup change. The first attempt got through "loading data" and asking me about what I receive on 25 and 101, but then it rebooted and started all over. Now loading data again (which will take hours), but I'm not optimistic about a different result this time.

Does this reboot have anything to do with the lineup change, or do I have a hard-drive problem I need to sort out before I can get back up and running? Just wondering if anybody else has seen this.
I think someone on here had the same thing happen. Did you tell it that you do not get 101 anymore? Have you tried it with the USB disconnected from the TA?
Old 06-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #4881
RTPGiants

Yes, I had a reboot too. My total sequence was this.

* Guided Setup #1, found analog channels, prompted for 101...said I did not receive. Guided setup ran for a while and rebooted
* Guided Setup #2, found analog channels, prompted for 101...said I did not receive, prompted for 105, said I received, ran a while
* Did not have SDV channels, but did have HD channels
* Recyncing TA a few times did not help despite "Acquiring channels..."
* Rebooted Tivo, a very long "Acquiring channels..." ... all tuned as expected.

Remaining issues:
* ESPN is labeled wrong
* Todos did not switch from 250, 255, etc.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #4882
mercurial
Retro-Av

The todo's took a few hours for me. I'm guessing it's a background process that goes and re-figures them. But the did move to the 1xx version of the OTA channels and not he 11xx version so I had to fix those.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #4883
bxojr

OK, glad to hear my experience wasn't entirely unexpected. I was surprised that after the reboot, the second "loading data" phase was much quicker.

I was paranoid about repeating the same process, so when it asked me about channel 101, I told it to ask about a different channel. It asked about 105 (WRAL), I said yes, and then it proceeded with the rest of the process. It's now loading program-guide data. Keeping my fingers crossed. I haven't disconnected the TA but will try that if I have more problems.

We're about to go on vacation for a week, and I'll be quite unhappy if my TiVo isn't able to record the return of "Futurama" while we're gone...
bxojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:54 PM   #4884
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxojr View Post
the return of "Futurama"
Sorry I don't watch TV very often my wife does. When is this supposed to happen?
Old 06-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #4885
notting

Quote:
* ESPN is labeled wrong
If you're talking about them being 'TWRESPN', 'TWRESP2', etc - this seems unrelated to the channel renumbering. I saw this before the renumbering, and even see it on my S2.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #4886
hypractv

Truck Roll scheduled between 0900 and 1100 today. Supposedly getting an M Card here in Raleigh, NC. I will report back as the install takes place.
hypractv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:31 AM   #4887
obelix

Time Warner Tivo Update

Finally got this update to work, thanks to everyone's suggestions. This is for Time Warner/ Tivo in NC, in case anyone is in the same area.

At first nearly all channels had gone gray. To solve - I rebooted the tivo, power cycled the TA (waiting for solid green light), and repeated guided setup. The tivo service update and program info update steps took forever. I was sitting at the preparing... step for hours. But, eventually it went through, and now the channels are all in place (most HD channels are now in the 1000's). The only thing left to do was verify that Season Passes were updated - most of them with upcoming shows updated automatically. Some I reset as new HD channels were now available.

For those that missed out on some great World Cup action (or anything else) - you can tell TW you missed days and they should issue you a credit.

Last edited by obelix : 06-17-2010 at 09:36 AM.
obelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:16 PM   #4888
notting

Quote:
The todo's took a few hours for me. I'm guessing it's a background process that goes and re-figures them. But the did move to the 1xx version of the OTA channels and not he 11xx version so I had to fix those.
What I think happened here is that (for whatever reason) the 1xx and the 11xx versions of the broadcast channels now have the same name (WRALDT, for example.) So, when the Tivo moved season passes that were on the HD WRALDT channel before, it just picked the first channel that showed up as WRALDT.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #4889
mercurial
Retro-Av

Yes, agreed. I think SCSIRAID hypothesized the same in this thread. It's just annoying that they screwed up the naming and caused that. Though I wonder if you just temporarily or permanently removed those from the Channels I Receive list as soon as guided setup is done if the SPs would convert properly.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:42 PM   #4890
hypractv

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypractv View Post
Truck Roll scheduled between 0900 and 1100 today. Supposedly getting an M Card here in Raleigh, NC. I will report back as the install takes place.
  • Installer arrived @ 12:15.
  • I installed the M Card myself. (Installer did not have TAs. Was told they would be mailed.)
  • My Tivo found it and I ran through the GS.
  • Upon GS completion it did not have the new channel line up.
  • Went to rerun GS, but Tivo is doing some sort of service update.

That's it for now, more on this as I work through it.
hypractv is offline   Reply With Quote