TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #4801
Big_Daddy
Purveyor of Idiocy

Guided setup ongoing, Cary NC THD....also been "preparing" for over an hour.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #4802
SugarBowl
Roamio Plus

Is it the "Digital Cable Rebuild (cary)" that we should pick ?
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #4803
Big_Daddy
Purveyor of Idiocy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl View Post
Not sure, still haven't gotten to that step (sigh).

I read in a separate TWC thread where they discussed a channel lineup change like this in another state, that there was a rebuild selection they had to use at first. This ultimately went away in a few weeks, and they had to repeat guided setup with the non-rebuild option, which by that point had the new lineup.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #4804
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl View Post
You arent offered that as a choice. You just run thru guided setup and use your zip code and select TWC. That gets the Digital Rebuild lineup. It asks you to confirm 2 analog and 1 digital channel. I only have one of my three TiVo's working. One is hanging when the TA is attached (P). The other is failing to acquire channels (S3). The other is working fine (THD).

Not pretty so far.....
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #4805
Big_Daddy
Purveyor of Idiocy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
One is hanging when the TA is attached (P).

Not pretty so far.....
Hanging in guided setup, or after? My guided setup is running with the TA attached, but has been hanging for about 2 hours now...

May retry without the TA
Old 06-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #4806
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daddy View Post
Hanging in guided setup, or after? My guided setup is running with the TA attached, but has been hanging for about 2 hours now...

May retry without the TA
My hang is after Guided Setup is complete. TiVo comes up fine and can tune non SDV fine and lineup is fine but then attaching TA results in hang.

Where is your hanging??? what step?
Old 06-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #4807
macd2

I left my tuning adapter attached to my THD and started guided setup.
The setup connection to Tivo completed fine, but now I'm stuck at "preparing" for loading the program info.
macd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:15 PM   #4808
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by macd2 View Post
I left my tuning adapter attached to my THD and started guided setup.
The setup connection to Tivo completed fine, but now I'm stuck at "preparing" for loading the program info.
Preparing can take a long time... could be 20 mins.

My THD went thru the process cleanly the first time...
Old 06-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #4809
Big_Daddy
Purveyor of Idiocy

I was also stuck at the preparing/ loading section for over 2 hours. It didn't progress until after I turned off the TA (via the front button).

Then it asked me if I got channel 25 ( yes) and 101 (no) and now it's loading guide data. Oh yeah I turned the TA back on for this part.

We'll see what happens
Old 06-08-2010, 08:30 PM   #4810
Big_Daddy
Purveyor of Idiocy

Whoa. TiVo and TA rebooted now starting guided setup again. Sigh.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #4811
Big_Daddy
Purveyor of Idiocy

Second guided setup MUCH faster...getting program info.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #4812
SCSIRAID

S3 finally got past acquiring channels... working ok... EXCEPT... my antenna channels are no longer present...

It appears that there are a bunch of undefined channels in the channel map which may be the cause of some of this slowness.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #4813
macd2

Nevermind, I waited a few minutes and it fixed itself???
Looks like I'm good to go.

<quote>
Well, setup completed, and program info loaded. The guide looks good... all the new channels are there in the right place. But, for every digital channel i get "Searching fo signal on: Cable In." (I get a few channels between 2 and 30.) I've rebooted the Tivo and the Tuning adapter. What can I try next to debug this?
</quote>

Last edited by macd2 : 06-08-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #4814
TiVolunteer
lotta lurk rare post

Quote:
S3 finally got past acquiring channels... working ok... EXCEPT... my antenna channels are no longer present...

It appears that there are a bunch of undefined channels in the channel map which may be the cause of some of this slowness.
Same problem going here-- no antenna channels. I did a rescan and it found 20 channels. However, when it got to the screen which says "Do you want to add these channels to the channels you receive?" there were no channels listed. Redoing Guided setup for the third time. First Guided Setup on two of the three S3's (wife and daughter watching the other) ended up with a spontaneous reboot in the middle of the antenna channel scan (same place on both).
1 Roamio Pro
1 TiVo Mini
2 TiVo HD
TiVolunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #4815
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVolunteer View Post
Same problem going here-- no antenna channels. I did a rescan and it found 20 channels. However, when it got to the screen which says "Do you want to add these channels to the channels you receive?" there were no channels listed. Redoing Guided setup for the third time. First Guided Setup on two of the three S3's (wife and daughter watching the other) ended up with a spontaneous reboot in the middle of the antenna channel scan (same place on both).
I attempted to add the antenna channels from channels menu but it hung in preparing state. I had to pull the plug and restart guided setup.

One thing that concerns me... the channel list is HUGE... It has every number from 0 to 1750 in it but with a large percentage 'undefined'. This could be overwhelming TiVo or TA.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #4816
TiVolunteer
lotta lurk rare post

Quote:
I attempted to add the antenna channels from channels menu but it hung in preparing state. I had to pull the plug and restart guided setup.

One thing that concerns me... the channel list is HUGE... It has every number from 0 to 1750 in it but with a large percentage 'undefined'. This could be overwhelming TiVo or TA.
I see the same thing. Is the channel list a TiVo company problem or a TWC problem? I know we get it from TiVo but I wonder how much quality checking they do on what they get from TWC.
1 Roamio Pro
1 TiVo Mini
2 TiVo HD
Old 06-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #4817
carys

On my third reboot. First one rebooted while downloading the channel data. Second one got the data and then rebooted. Not looking good.
carys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:25 PM   #4818
TiVolunteer
lotta lurk rare post

Seeing the same issue with no antenna channels on the TiVo HD. So the issue is not limited to S3's.

Rescanning finds the channels but they won't add to the channel list.
1 Roamio Pro
1 TiVo Mini
2 TiVo HD
Old 06-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #4819
SCSIRAID

Quote:
I see the same thing. Is the channel list a TiVo company problem or a TWC problem? I know we get it from TiVo but I wonder how much quality checking they do on what they get from TWC.
I dont know. Each channel number should have a 'program name' associated with it. If I were to guess... Id say TWC. If Tribune had the channel in their database, I would expect to see a channel name and guide data associated with it. These very long 'acquiring channel info' may be because of the sheer number of channels in the TWC list.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #4820
macd2

I'm seeing issues in the program data.
For example, for NBC: (TWC in Cary, NC)
Channel 0117 is listed aa 1080i, but is broadcast in 480i.
Channel 1117 is listed as 480i, but is broadcast in 1080i.

All my former HD season passes are now set for the 0xxx channels, and so I'll have to re-do them all as 1xxx channels to get HD.

Is everyone else seeing the same?
I hope the program data gets updated on HD vs. Non-HD.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:27 PM   #4821
TiVolunteer
lotta lurk rare post

Quote:
Originally Posted by macd2 View Post
I'm seeing issues in the program data.
For example, for NBC: (TWC in Cary, NC)
Channel 0117 is listed aa 1080i, but is broadcast in 480i.
Channel 1117 is listed as 480i, but is broadcast in 1080i.

All my former HD season passes are now set for the 0xxx channels, and so I'll have to re-do them all as 1xxx channels to get HD.

Is everyone else seeing the same?
I hope the program data gets updated on HD vs. Non-HD.
I'm seeing the same thing as far as the program data is concerned.

I'm also seeing the same thing on the HD Season passes for network programming (ABC/NBC etc). However, season passes on channels like SyFyHD made the transfer pseudo correctly. The Season Pass lists the 0XXX channel but when you go into the "Upcoming Episodes" what is actually scheduled to record is the correct 1XXX HD channel.

I forced a record on the HD shows for tomorrow that weren't being picked up by the Season Passes correctly. I'm holding off on redoing the season passes until I see how this whole thing gets resolved. Hopefully, that will fix itself when the other issues get resolved.
1 Roamio Pro
1 TiVo Mini
2 TiVo HD
Old 06-09-2010, 07:41 AM   #4822
carys

Third time was a charm. I now have the new lineup and guide data. Just had to go and add the premiums and delete the on demands.
carys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:53 AM   #4823
SugarBowl
Roamio Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daddy View Post
Whoa. TiVo and TA rebooted now starting guided setup again. Sigh.
Mine did the same. It rebooted and started over after I selected my channels.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:58 AM   #4824
JimWall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfirestone View Post
I have an issue currently - TWC is making their second call to my house tonight.

Series 3 HD - all of a sudden started rebooting itself about 5 days ago. After much searching and toubleshooting, including TiVo support call - it turns out the only time my TiVo has an issue is when it is trying to tune in one of my HD channels, i.e. 540 - NBCHD.

If the cable line is not connected OR if my TiVo is only tuning in lower channels (50, 100, etc) it is perfectly fine and functions normally.

As soon as I switch to 540 (or 520 CBShd etc.) the audio/video starts skipping , pixelating and the TiVo locks up. I can't change channels, get into or move through menus, etc. If I disconnect the cable line while this lock up is happening, the TiVo returns to working normally within 30 seconds.

I used the signal meter check on the TVo and the signals in those high channels are peaking at 100. Tivo support confirms that this appears to be a signal related issue. I call TWC and they send a guy out.

Not surprisingly - the guy knows nothing about TiVos and also didn't follow the instructions on the WO, where I told them I also needed them to bring a new tuning adapter to replace the one I have that isn't working properly. The guy tells me the signals are perfectly fine for their equipment and doesn't even understand the signal meter that TiVo has since their signal stuff is all i the +8 to -12 range.

After a 1 hr call, with him spending most of the time on the phone with someone, he schedules a new call for tonight, where he will bring a new tuning adapter and also someone else with TiVo experience.

Anyone have any ideas if this IS a signal issue? It seems like it, since the only time the TiVo acts up is when it is trying to tune those HD channels. Is there anything I can make them check or say to them to get them to understand that it is THIER issue and not my TiVo?
If your problem is with mostly HD channels and not with non HD which are the lower channels then it would mean the hard drive is having problems keeping up with the I/O needed to record 1 or 2 HD channels at the same time. Remember TIVO is always recording the two channels the cable cards are tuned to unless you disconnect the cable line.
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:04 AM   #4825
SCSIRAID

Quote:
The blank/unnamed channels are coming from TWC via CC/TA. I ran setup on my antenna only box and specified cable and antenna and that I would add CC later. With no TA/CC the guide data looked normal... only named channels were in the channel list.

All of my units are finally running with the new guide data and all expected channels (including antenna channels).
Old 06-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #4826
TiVolunteer
lotta lurk rare post

Quote:
The blank/unnamed channels are coming from TWC via CC/TA. I ran setup on my antenna only box and specified cable and antenna and that I would add CC later. With no TA/CC the guide data looked normal... only named channels were in the channel list.

All of my units are finally running with the new guide data and all expected channels (including antenna channels).
So what did you finally do to get the antenna channels on the box(es) which have cable and antenna? No matter what I try I can't get the antenna channels merged in with the cable channels.
1 Roamio Pro
1 TiVo Mini
2 TiVo HD
Old 06-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #4827
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
I ran guided setup on one of my units last night and pulled the new lineup. It was working fine after the lineup changed midday sometime.

Starting on my second TiVo now....
Yeah, guess it changed during the day. I've done 4/5 units, the other I'll update tonight or tomorrow (no real active recordings on it right now we care about).

First off, the two S2DT units (other than having to go through the annoying STB setup tests) were WAY faster going through the guided setup again than either the S3 or THD unit. Not sure why.

The S3 and THD units sat on the first "preparing to connect" step for a looooong time. 20-30 minutes long. I'd have thought TiVo was swamped by folks getting switched over except for the S2DTs going through so quickly. Then the second "preparing to connect" and "unloading/organizing" steps took another loooooong time. Probably another 20-30 minutes combined.

When the S2DTs were done, all the season passes were on the correct channels. When the S3 and the THD were done, all the season passes were on the OLD channels.

At this point it was late and I went to bed. This morning, I checked the S3 and all the NON-BROADCAST (e.g. SyFy HD, BBCAHD, etc.) season passes were on the right channels (i.e. 1xxxx) but all the BROADCAST season passes where on the SD version (i.e. 1xx instead of 11xx). I fixed all but 6 of those this morning - those six didn't have upcoming episodes/reruns I could use to recreate the SP on the right channel, I'll have to monitor those.

I'll check the THD tonight and do the other S3.

Any idea why the 1xx versus 11xx snafu? Could it be because of them being reported wrong as noted above (i.e. showing up in guide data as HD when they're SD and SD when they're HD)? I'd have the the SD/HD "tag" would have been against the channels themselves.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #4828
hypractv

Fellow Raleigh, NC (Wake County) TWC residents...

I've been enjoying free OTA for nearly 9 months with my Tivo HD and love it. However, I am considering brining TWC back in if the price is right. That being said, for those that have the Cable Card (CC) and Tuning Adapters (TA) have you been satisfied with the level of service and support?

I've read as much of the thread as I can manage and gather that there is an overall acceptance in our market.

I welcome any advice prior to placing my order with TWC. i.e. Do's, Dont's, Gotcha's and so on.

Thanks!
hypractv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #4829
BluesFools

Currently on my 4th guided setup.

First one I wasn't sure about channel 101 so I asked to try another one. 105 was close but not exact - WRAL vs WRALDT I think. Tried another - 106 matched. Tivo rebooted while I was selecting premium channels.

It rebooted into GS again. Half way through it hung at a 'please wait' screen. I noticed TA was blinking, so I pulled the USB cable and reconnected. Now GS continued. This time I decided to skip the premiums, and it completed. Most channel numbers were ok, but some in the 300 and 700 blocks still had some of the old channels mixed with new ones. I let it sit overnight to let indexing get underway, but still no guide data for high channels this morning.

Third GS I selected "do not receive channel 101". Tivo started to connect home, sat at preparing connection for a while, next thing I know it's rebooted into GS again.

Fourth GS I had to leave in the middle and head to work.
BluesFools is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #4830
SCSIRAID

Quote:
So what did you finally do to get the antenna channels on the box(es) which have cable and antenna? No matter what I try I can't get the antenna channels merged in with the cable channels.
I ran guided setup yet again and this time it worked.