Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #4711
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
When you get that bad CSR - hang up abruptly mid-sentence and try again. This works with CSRs with very poor language skills too and it works for any company you interact with.
I agree. I will not accept a truck roll for TA problems that I know will not be solved by a truck roll. (You can let them schedule it and call back later to cancel if you wish.). I would try another TWC CSR or I would call TiVo support. TiVo support can connect you directly to the TWC National Cable Card Support (NCCS) desk, and they are the only part of TWC that's almost guaranteed to be able to understand your problem, and usually to fix it quick.
There are good and bad TiVo support people too, of course. Some of them don't know they can connect you with NCCS, or they have "a number for TWC" but don't know what it is. Both TiVo support and NCCS have evening hours BTW, so you don't have to give up work time to call them.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:40 PM   #4712
arrkay

Series 3 and TimeWarner in L.A.

I used a TiVo Series 3 with Time Warner and two cablecards for a couple of years with moderate success. No VOD access (no biggie), and perfectly working HD channels. I spent a year with DirecTV and had to go back to cable after moving to a new place that doesn't dig satellite dishes.

I'm giving the Time Warner DVRs a try, but I'm not all that enthused, and the fact that VOD seems to be mostly non-HD (or all non-HD) isn't really making VOD a must-have feature for me, at this point.

I'm considering going back to cable cards and my series 3, but it seems like a pretty long list of issues have cropped up since I last used mine. Reading most of the recent posts, it seems like most of the issues are Ohio-related.

Is anyone in the Los Angeles area using the original Series 3 DVR with cable cards? Any gotchas? Is the installation process still as painful as it was in 2006? (It took them four trips the first time, and two trips the second time, but I think only one trip the third time I moved.)

Is the CableCard + Tuning Adapter = SDV equation relatively satisfied?
arrkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:52 PM   #4713
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Working fine for me. Haven't been issued a Tuning Adapter (at least yet) and am able to get all channels.

I got a letter last year telling me sometime soon I might need one to access one or two channels (and they were lame ones, I remember thinking, I wouldn't care if I couldn't get them) and nothing since. So, I'm holding tight, all's well thus far.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #4714
arrkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Working fine for me. Haven't been issued a Tuning Adapter (at least yet) and am able to get all channels.

I got a letter last year telling me sometime soon I might need one to access one or two channels (and they were lame ones, I remember thinking, I wouldn't care if I couldn't get them) and nothing since. So, I'm holding tight, all's well thus far.
Thanks Fofer, sounds like L.A. hasn't switched over then. Means I should have a few months' worth of respite, hopefully. Sounds good.
arrkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #4715
RTPGiants

So I haven't been paying attention in a little while because my TA was mostly working. It certainly doesn't just completely disconnect anymore.

However, of late, episodes are failing to record on switched channels with "signal unavailable" and those that do record are more often than not they're at least missing 3-5 minutes somewhere in the show.

It's once again gotten to the point where recording HD through the TA is basically completely unreliable. Is this just a known thing we're never going to get solved?
RTPGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #4716
m_jonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPGiants View Post
So I haven't been paying attention in a little while because my TA was mostly working. It certainly doesn't just completely disconnect anymore.

However, of late, episodes are failing to record on switched channels with "signal unavailable" and those that do record are more often than not they're at least missing 3-5 minutes somewhere in the show.

It's once again gotten to the point where recording HD through the TA is basically completely unreliable. Is this just a known thing we're never going to get solved?
Basically yes, IMO. Neither Tivo nor the cable companies seem to care and unless you're lucky to get FIOS I think we'll be living with it for many more years to come (I figure it'll be at LEAST 2-3 years before Tivo has a tru2way compatible box)
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #4717
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:

I not only have the lost recording problem, which does seem to be getting worse lately, but my TA goes out regularly once per month, requiring a minimum of 30 mins of rebooting and talking to TWC to get "balancing hits". This has been going on for nine months now with no indication that anyone is going to fix it. I'm pretty sure the monthly outages are TWC's fault but I think the missed recordings could probably be fixed in the TiVo software. I haven't received the 11.0g update yet but I've seen no indication so far that this was addressed.

and
Old 04-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #4718
mercurial
Retro-Av

On of my cables cards in my main S3 has gone into lala land (won't decode any CCI=0x01 channels). Time for another call tonight. I SOOOOOO am considering just ditching the lot and going back to super basic cable and/or OTA and supplementing with Netflix.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #4719
smak
TV MA SLV

So i tried switching my M card from my Tivo Series 3 to my new Premiere, and it seemed to work for awhile, but now it's missing most of the channels. Has the locals, so I'm pretty sure it's a cable card thing?

Do they usually setup the M card so you need to call in or have a truck roll, if moving it to another machine. I thought TW was one of the ones that allowed you to switch?

Is there some magic thing to tell the CSR to get them to fix it without a truck roll?

-smak-
smak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #4720
RTPGiants

Another night, another "video signal not available".

It's really annoying because in this case it was supposed to tune SyFy-HD. It failed to record. But of course 5 minutes later, on live TV (when I checked to see if the recording worked), the channel is tuned fine.

So very frustrating.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #4721
nchd

Multimedia problems with TWC

Just had my Tivo Premiere set up and TWC installed a Sci-Atl. Multi-media card.

I'm not getting all of my HD channels (most of them). Any ideas? Both my local TWC office and installer were fairly clueless about the multi-media card. I wound up installing it myself, while he watched.
nchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #4722
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchd View Post
Just had my Tivo Premiere set up and TWC installed a Sci-Atl. Multi-media card.

I'm not getting all of my HD channels (most of them). Any ideas? Both my local TWC office and installer were fairly clueless about the multi-media card. I wound up installing it myself, while he watched.
Why not post this in the TiVo Premiere forum? Although in this case the issues are probably the same as for a Series 3.

If you have SDV in your system, you will need a Tuning Adapter to get many of your HD channels. Your TWC system should provide the TA free of charge and installation is even simpler than the CableCARD (no numbers to record or phone in). The only purpose for a truck roll would be as an alternative to them mailing it to you or you having to pick it up. However, they may insist on a truck roll anyway.

Just FYI, Sci-Atl is now Cisco (and is usually called that on these forums).

If your system doesn't use SDV, there is something wrong with the pairing or authorization of your CableCARD and you need to complain to TWC. This can almost always be fixed without a truck roll, but.........

How much did they charge for the installation?

and
Old 04-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #4723
JimWall

TWC Southwest Ohio

I have refused a truck roll several times. Saying the hit may take a while to arrive. Then called back the next day and get it to work.
The TA's are a pain but support here is getting better.
I seem to have trouble with 1 of 3 about once a month.
2nd last time 2 went out at exactly the same time. Which leads to the theory they need reauthorization once a month to keep working.
Last time one went out the CSR admitted she had no experience but could not get ahold of a supervisor. She found the current procedures and got it working!!!
It appears in this area the support docs are getting better. They used to have 2 hits to send and the new CSR said they now have something like 7 different hits to send. One that works leaves it with no green light and then I press the button in front and it works.
Also be patient. It TA takes 4 to 5 minutes to reboot and initialize. Check the tuning adapter diagnostics on TIVO while waiting. TWC CSRs cannot see this info. One first screen go to the "Next Page" then "Tuning Resolver" page which indicates it is Authorized. If not and if page 2 of "Network and Tuning status" has an RF Network IP then time for CSR to send another hit.
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:54 AM   #4724
organone

Blink codes for Cisco STA 1520

My TA does not get a solid green light, and has not for 24 hours. Most of the time it will flash 2 times, but sometimes 3 times. Does anyone have the troubleshooting for the blink codes, or a suggestion I can pass to TWCKC? THANKS
organone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #4725
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by organone View Post
My TA does not get a solid green light, and has not for 24 hours. Most of the time it will flash 2 times, but sometimes 3 times. Does anyone have the troubleshooting for the blink codes, or a suggestion I can pass to TWCKC? THANKS
8-blinks,pause means the TA needs to be given a "balancing hit".
6-blinks,pause means the USB to the TiVo is disconnected and TA is OK.
Not sure about any other blink codes but I think 2 to 4 blinks is something bad like the software is corrupted or is being updated.

Disconnect the USB connector and unplug the TA power for 10 seconds. Re-power the TA and wait 15 minutes to see if you get either a steady light or 6-blinks, pause then reconnect the USB cable. If the TA light goes out, hit the power button on the front. Now you need the TiVo to go through the "Acquiring Channels" process with the rotating symbol. If necessary, reboot the TiVo to force this. If you can't get either the steady light or the 6-blink, pause sequence, TWC will have to do something, usually send the right signals.

Suggest they connect you to the TWC National Cable Card Support desk, unless they have something else to try. The only way a truck roll will help is if the TA needs to be replaced or the signal levels need to be adjusted --- not likely. You are not supposed to call NCCS directly but if the local support claims it doesn't exist or they don't know the number, give them the number: 866-532-2598. NCCS has evening and Saturday hours but not sure about Sunday. They start at 10am Eastern Time.

and

Last edited by dlfl : 04-04-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #4726
mihalik

My tuning adapter started the 8-blinks on Friday. I tried rebooting a few times and that did not seem to work. I've tried calling Time Warner a couple times and they have me unplug and replug everything and wait for it to come back up (awkward conversations waiting the 5 minutes for the Tivo to boot). They really want to send someone out to fix it...

I guess I need to fight to get connected to this national cable card hotline so I can get this fixed over the phone...
mihalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:32 AM   #4727
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial View Post
On of my cables cards in my main S3 has gone into lala land (won't decode any CCI=0x01 channels). Time for another call tonight. I SOOOOOO am considering just ditching the lot and going back to super basic cable and/or OTA and supplementing with Netflix.
Well, the other card went the same way on Sunday. Called and they hit them but they sat at CP Authorized and zero EMM/ECM count, rebooted the TiVo, nada. Truck roll yesterday and he couldn't get either of them to come back. Had to go find a supervisor with CCs (they "aren't allowed to carry them even for CC related calls") and came back with two M-cards. Replaced both circa fall 2006 S-cards with them and, after a small slip up with the authorization, it's back in business.

Looks like I have 11.0g on all my boxes now so we'll see if things stay good and if the pixelation is really gone.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #4728
jsholmes

Replacing an S3 with a Premiere XL

TWC in NYC couldn't do it over the phone. Insisted on sending a truck. To be fair, they tried. But obviously they didn't know what to do.

I called the national number someone mentioned and they said that what the NYC people needed to do was to unpair my old cable card from my S3 in the billing system, then repair it to my new Premiere, then send it the signal to pair. The national guys said they could do it themselves in some TWC locations, but in NYC they don't have access to the billing system. Sheesh.

I'm going to try calling again today to see if I can get someone who can do this, but I'm not holding out much hope.

The national guy said my best bet was to tell them when they come to bring a brand new cable card so it won't be paired with anything yet.
jsholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:19 AM   #4729
jmaditto

In Columbia, SC they told me it is called a "balancing signal" or a "O7 Screen Enter" or "Addresssable Hit." They do this at the account level. When they send the correct signal I immediately see my TiVo reboot. Then anywhere from 5 - 15mins later I'm good. If my TA doesn't respond, I then have them hit each TA and then I'm back in business. Sometimes they send both signals at the same time too. Good luck
jmaditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:49 AM   #4730
tmaxjd

TiVo Neophyte

Hi All,
I am a TiVo newbie. We have had Time Warner here in NY forever, and are simply sick of it. We're ready to breakout into the TiVo world.

Just working through this thread (it's a long one) to try and educate myself.
Looking for a little bit of help - any answers to the following questions are greatly appreciated:

- What are the typical issues (e.g. time it takes to setup) we can expect when getting a Premiere box and connecting to TWC?
- I've heard of varying prices that TWC will charge for both the home visit to set up the cards, and then the monthly cost/rental of the cards. Anyone know the pricing of each?
- We have 2 hd tv's, if we want TiVo on both, is there any way around buying 2 new premiere boxes?
- Is there specific language we need to give to TWC that will reduce the time and frustration with getting the setup done right?
- Anything that could help get reduced pricing from TiVO for the new account and getting 2 new boxes?

Anything else?

Much appreciated.

Thanks,
Max
(tmaxjd@yahoo.com)
tmaxjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #4731
neotwc
neotwc

No HD 1000's Channels in NEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchick View Post
Talked to both Tivo and TWC. Both say they are aware of the issue. No resolution yet and no ETA. TWC really knocked my socks off by giving $5.00 off for the HD tier we pay for since we can't get any of the 1000-series channels. Am I one of the very few that is having this Tuning Adapter issue? (It's a Cisco STA1520)
1. Having trouble seeing new HD channels in the 1000's. TWC confirms they rolled our area but cannot figure out why we can't see HD in 1000's on your S3's. Still can see HD in 400's - TWC sez this is techniclly puzzling. 3 weeks - no answers.

2. Also on one of the S3 can't have TA and Wireless adapter plugged into UBS ports at same time without losing 1/2 of the channels. Funny, the other S3 works just fine..... ideas?
neotwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #4732
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrkay View Post
I used a TiVo Series 3 with Time Warner and two cablecards for a couple of years with moderate success. No VOD access (no biggie), and perfectly working HD channels. I spent a year with DirecTV and had to go back to cable after moving to a new place that doesn't dig satellite dishes.

I'm giving the Time Warner DVRs a try, but I'm not all that enthused, and the fact that VOD seems to be mostly non-HD (or all non-HD) isn't really making VOD a must-have feature for me, at this point.

I'm considering going back to cable cards and my series 3, but it seems like a pretty long list of issues have cropped up since I last used mine. Reading most of the recent posts, it seems like most of the issues are Ohio-related.

Is anyone in the Los Angeles area using the original Series 3 DVR with cable cards? Any gotchas? Is the installation process still as painful as it was in 2006? (It took them four trips the first time, and two trips the second time, but I think only one trip the third time I moved.)

Is the CableCard + Tuning Adapter = SDV equation relatively satisfied?
I'm in the San Fernando Valley with TiVo-2, TiVo-3 and a TW DVR, but have not installed the Tuning Adapter. TiVo-2 works fine, TW DVR works, but I hate the user interface. TiVo-3 is now easily installed (by TW) with 2 cable cards, but has intermittent problems. Sometimes it can't find the signal and records blank screens, also doesn't get a bunch of channels that the DVR does record.

If you can afford, it do both.
CB
abredt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:14 AM   #4733
RTPGiants

Ho hum...three "partial" recordings today on switched HD. Thanks Tivo...I appreciate you advertising a Premier to me every day in email and onscreen. But no way that happens until you guys can actually fix this sort of stuff...
Old 04-15-2010, 02:14 AM   #4734
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Ho hum...three "partial" recordings today on switched HD. Thanks Tivo...I appreciate you advertising a Premier to me every day in email and onscreen. But no way that happens until you guys can actually fix this sort of stuff...
I share your attitude. I'm curious though: all partial recordings? None just totally missed? I have missed recordings but rarely just partial ones.

and
Old 04-15-2010, 12:14 PM   #4735
AJRitz
Princess Anti-Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaknafein View Post
On Monday, both of my cable cards (which have been working relatively flawlessly for almost 3 years) went dead. The only channels TiVo can tune are the analog ones. When I try to tune a digital channel, it says "Searching for Signal on Cable In" and never tunes.

Called TWC Kansas City, and the rep sent several hits to the cards, which did nothing. Have a truck roll scheduled for Friday afternoon. I asked them to send an M card to replace the two S cards, we'll see what happens.
Darren, has this been resolved for you?
I have a truck roll scheduled for Monday morning for a very weird issue. One of my TiVoHD units is still working perfectly. The one in the media room, however, gives me the "Searching for Signal on Cable In" message - but ONLY on 1411 (Fox local). Last night I got about 30 seconds of badly pixelated American Idol that recorded, then nothing. The box has been rebooted, cable cards reseated, and the CSR sent a hit to the cards, all to no avail. You think it would be worth it to call and ask them to send an M card with Monday's truck roll?
Old 04-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #4736
RTPGiants

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I share your attitude. I'm curious though: all partial recordings? None just totally missed? I have missed recordings but rarely just partial ones.
I'll get missed recordings if Tivo can't tune the channel at the start. This does happen, but lately is less frequent.

What's happened over the last two weeks is typically a gap in the program somewhere. Something like a 5 minute time gap is typical. Though yesterday in 3 recordings (Mythbustersx2 and WPT), I got 28 minutes, 24 minutes and 8 minutes total recordings.

ETA: I posted a comment about this to the official Tivo forums, and it got deleted. Thanks Tivo....

Last edited by RTPGiants : 04-15-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #4737
Orcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
8-blinks,pause means the TA needs to be given a "balancing hit".
Hi,
is there a "correct" power up sequence when a TA is involved?
A couple months ago or so I had a TA installed and everything was working fine - getting all of the switched HD channels w/out any problem.

Today I am getting the repeating 8 blinks and absolutely no channels.
All cables are tight.

I have unplugged the power to the TA and the USB cable and attempted to reboot it. When that did not work - I unplugged it again and the TiVo and power cycled the TiVo. When the TiVo came up - I powered up the TA.
No difference. Still 8 blinks and no channels at all.

Before I call TWC - I wanted to make sure there was not a "proper" power up sequence I should be following first.

Also - is no channels at all a symptom of the 8 blink trouble code?

thanks

Jim
Orcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:28 PM   #4738
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus View Post
Hi,
is there a "correct" power up sequence when a TA is involved?
A couple months ago or so I had a TA installed and everything was working fine - getting all of the switched HD channels w/out any problem.

Today I am getting the repeating 8 blinks and absolutely no channels.
All cables are tight.

I have unplugged the power to the TA and the USB cable and attempted to reboot it. When that did not work - I unplugged it again and the TiVo and power cycled the TiVo. When the TiVo came up - I powered up the TA.
No difference. Still 8 blinks and no channels at all.

Before I call TWC - I wanted to make sure there was not a "proper" power up sequence I should be following first.

Also - is no channels at all a symptom of the 8 blink trouble code?

thanks

Jim
8 blinks mean that the TA has lost its authorization. When in a non authorized state, it wont allow the TiVo to 'resolve' tuning requests which leads to 'no channels'.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:51 PM   #4739
Orcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
8 blinks mean that the TA has lost its authorization. When in a non authorized state, it wont allow the TiVo to 'resolve' tuning requests which leads to 'no channels'.
Wow - I was actually able to get it fixed tonight within a few minutes via their online chat support. I was quite impressed.
I guess the continuous stream of blinks I saw was the TA rebooting after being authorized - since soon after it did that - it began acquiring channels and all was well. Sure beats hanging on the telephone...

Jim
Orcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #4740
squiddohio

The phone techs at TWC seem to be getting better at fixing the TA.
8 blinks means you need to call them. They will send some authorization hits, and then the light should go to unblinking, but sometimes this takes up to 5 minutes or so. Once solid, the TA should be working again.
Both of mine go out about once a month, at the same time, because TW sends out signals that do that. They seem to know that, they don't care, and they just hit the box again to authorize it, but you have to call ever time this happens, but the call takes less time each month.
Sigh.
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote