TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #4681
jchick

Talked to both Tivo and TWC. Both say they are aware of the issue. No resolution yet and no ETA. TWC really knocked my socks off by giving $5.00 off for the HD tier we pay for since we can't get any of the 1000-series channels. Am I one of the very few that is having this Tuning Adapter issue? (It's a Cisco STA1520)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWall View Post
The support rep is clueless. Keep calling until you get someone who knows what to do or will escalate it to someone who does. Tuning adapters work with more than TIVO though TIVO was the first product to take advantage of it.

jchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:02 AM   #4682
parttimer

You are not alone, I am in Ashtabula Ohio with two useless Tivo's for HD. I got an update today to .0f but that didn't seem to fix anything. My second tivo we just bought has an M card in it and after about 6 hours the unit locks up and and I either have to reboot or pull the cable card to get it to work. My original unit is a series 3hd with two s-cards and no 1000 channels their either. Last time I called I was told the engineers are working on it but there is no expected fix date. How the F do you roll something out without testing it. That is just bad business.
parttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:17 AM   #4683
zaknafein
Shorthanded

On Monday, both of my cable cards (which have been working relatively flawlessly for almost 3 years) went dead. The only channels TiVo can tune are the analog ones. When I try to tune a digital channel, it says "Searching for Signal on Cable In" and never tunes.

Called TWC Kansas City, and the rep sent several hits to the cards, which did nothing. Have a truck roll scheduled for Friday afternoon. I asked them to send an M card to replace the two S cards, we'll see what happens.
zaknafein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #4684
Shmooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchick
Talked to both Tivo and TWC. Both say they are aware of the issue. No resolution yet and no ETA. TWC really knocked my socks off by giving $5.00 off for the HD tier we pay for since we can't get any of the 1000-series channels. Am I one of the very few that is having this Tuning Adapter issue? (It's a Cisco STA1520)
Quote:
Originally Posted by parttimer View Post
You are not alone, I am in Ashtabula Ohio with two useless Tivo's for HD. I got an update today to .0f but that didn't seem to fix anything. My second tivo we just bought has an M card in it and after about 6 hours the unit locks up and and I either have to reboot or pull the cable card to get it to work. My original unit is a series 3hd with two s-cards and no 1000 channels their either. Last time I called I was told the engineers are working on it but there is no expected fix date. How the F do you roll something out without testing it. That is just bad business.
Wait, what? I think I missed something. What's not working, exactly? Can you two not get any SDV-transmitted programming, or just not channels over 1000? Did TWC change the channel map on you, and now you just can't see the channels now that they've moved?

We've had a TA for a while now with a TivoHD. It's been flakey, but has been reasonably stable for the past few months. Occasional glitches in the past few months include the Tivo menus freezing up a few times (just wait for it to time out and it's fine) and a couple spontaneous Tivo reboots. These sound like Tivo software / driver bugs to me, though. Even if it's related to the TA behaving badly, the host device (the Tivo) should never be so adversely affected by a peripheral (the TA).
Shmooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #4685
parttimer

Neither of my units get the 1000's, you get a message saying the adapter doesn't work. One of my units, about 2 months old will work fine for a day, then lock up. You press the button, hear the noise, and nada. Pull the cable card and it works fine.
parttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #4686
kawertz

TWC NEO Tuning Adapter

If you are having troubles with the tuning adapter in Northeast Ohio try disconnecting the USB Cable. You will loose the SDV channels but at least you will have the locals and non-SDV channels in the 1000. My problem is that every channel I receive is good except 1000+. I have talked numerous times with Cablecard Support and they keep assuring me that they are bugging the Engineering Department for NEO. UMMM Yeah sure you are.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:32 AM   #4687
smak
TV MA SLV

What was the guy on the phone at TW telling me when he said that their would be 2 cards, one for channels 0-99, and one for 100+ and VOD?

Is that total BS?

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:42 AM   #4688
KobeWilliams

Thanks for this thread!
KobeWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:55 AM   #4689
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thanks for your upcoming spam!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:26 AM   #4690
littlell3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
What was the guy on the phone at TW telling me when he said that their would be 2 cards, one for channels 0-99, and one for 100+ and VOD?

Is that total BS?

-smak-

You are not going to get VOD with a Tivo.
littlell3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:29 AM   #4691
littlell3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawertz View Post
If you are having troubles with the tuning adapter in Northeast Ohio try disconnecting the USB Cable. You will loose the SDV channels but at least you will have the locals and non-SDV channels in the 1000. My problem is that every channel I receive is good except 1000+. I have talked numerous times with Cablecard Support and they keep assuring me that they are bugging the Engineering Department for NEO. UMMM Yeah sure you are.

I have spoken to Cablecard Support and I do believe that they are doing what they are saying, I believe they are talking to the Engineering Department for NEO, only because everytime I have talked to this group they have been right on the money and fixed my issue, I believe that if there was nothing they could do about it, they would explain that and why.
littlell3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #4692
jchick

Still not feeling the love in Aurora, Ohio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parttimer View Post

Old 03-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #4693
singletond

TIVO & Time Warner seem incompatible

We have Hi-def from Time Warner, and a Tivo (plus the TM “cards” that go in the back of the Tivo) and the TM-supplied Cisco STA 1250. The system drops “switched” channels ever since we got it. If I take the Cisco out of the circuit, call TM and ask them to send down the updates, those updates reach the Tivo and we get all the non-switched HD channels right way, but switched HD channels (CNN ch 135 is my test case) are “unavailable”. Then a few moments to many hours later we get the HD switched channels (ch 135 and the others work fine), then from 1-3 weeks later the switched channels go “unavailable” again. It seems that the Cisco prevents regular updates to the TM cards for switched HD channels. Is this a known problem? Is the a known fix?
Next step seems ot be get a set top box from TM and compare the channels we get.
Then maybe dump TM in favor of DirecTV?
singletond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:40 AM   #4694
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by singletond View Post
We have Hi-def from Time Warner, and a Tivo (plus the TM “cards” that go in the back of the Tivo) and the TM-supplied Cisco STA 1250. The system drops “switched” channels ever since we got it. If I take the Cisco out of the circuit, call TM and ask them to send down the updates, those updates reach the Tivo and we get all the non-switched HD channels right way, but switched HD channels (CNN ch 135 is my test case) are “unavailable”. Then a few moments to many hours later we get the HD switched channels (ch 135 and the others work fine), then from 1-3 weeks later the switched channels go “unavailable” again. It seems that the Cisco prevents regular updates to the TM cards for switched HD channels. Is this a known problem? Is the a known fix?
Next step seems ot be get a set top box from TM and compare the channels we get.
Then maybe dump TM in favor of DirecTV?
These kinds of TA problems are pretty common with TWC. If you look at the several threads with Time Warner in their names you will see plenty of similar complaints. A delay of up to several hours after a "hit" to get all the channels is unusual though, I think. Are you power cycling your TA and cycling the USB cable after the hits?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #4695
squiddohio

After a "hit," it is NOT unusual for my TAs (I have 2) to take an hour or two to get settled in and go from flashing green light to solid. I don't understand it, and they usually go off stream once every 4 to 6 weeks (at the same time, courtesy of TW "signals") and require me to call for another hit. It's a giant pain.
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:02 AM   #4696
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddohio View Post
After a "hit," it is NOT unusual for my TAs (I have 2) to take an hour or two to get settled in and go from flashing green light to solid. I don't understand it, and they usually go off stream once every 4 to 6 weeks (at the same time, courtesy of TW "signals") and require me to call for another hit. It's a giant pain.
Which TWC system are you in?

and
Old 03-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #4697
gallobg

Just spoke with a service tech at my location in Twinsburg, OH. He said that TWC NEO is rolling out the update on a box-by-box basis (e.g., a separate update for each set-top box version that they support). According to him, support for Tivo has not yet been rolled out but should be later this week or early next week (Tivo is pretty near the bottom of the update list). We just have to wait for our roll-out.

On the plus side, TWC customer service didn't blink at reducing my cable bill by 10 days. If this isn't fixed by next week I'll call again and have it reduced further.
gallobg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:45 PM   #4698
squiddohio

"Which TWC system are you in?"
I am in Time Warner, Cincinnati - City - I have a digital package, and the HD package, and I get HBO and Showtime. I have no TW box, just a Series 3 and two HD boxes, which hold a total of 6 cable cards. Two of my TiVos have a TA, and when they go on the fritz with the blinking green light, they usually go off at the same time, which a TW support lady admitted was due to some "signals" that TW sends out from time to time for updates, etc. Why they send that signal to me I don't know, since I do not have any of TW's hardware.
Other than this constant problem with the TAs, which seems to happen every 5 or 6 weeks, the TW service and the picture quality and even the customer service are excellent.
Before the S3 came out, I had a TW DVR, and there is no way I would want to go back to that mess, even at the low, low price of whatever they charge a month.
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #4699
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
"Which TWC system are you in?"
I am in Time Warner, Cincinnati - City - I have a digital package, and the HD package, and I get HBO and Showtime. I have no TW box, just a Series 3 and two HD boxes, which hold a total of 6 cable cards. Two of my TiVos have a TA, and when they go on the fritz with the blinking green light, they usually go off at the same time, which a TW support lady admitted was due to some "signals" that TW sends out from time to time for updates, etc. Why they send that signal to me I don't know, since I do not have any of TW's hardware.
Other than this constant problem with the TAs, which seems to happen every 5 or 6 weeks, the TW service and the picture quality and even the customer service are excellent.
Before the S3 came out, I had a TW DVR, and there is no way I would want to go back to that mess, even at the low, low price of whatever they charge a month.
OK, you and I are in the same system (SW Ohio). My TA goes out every 4 or 5 weeks (8-blinks-pause). I usually end up talking to the TWC National Cable Card Support desk, since they have been the only ones able to fix the problem 2/3 of the time. Last time, the NCCS guy told me the TA's are programmed to require a "balancing hit" every 30 days. This is supposed to happen automatically, but he suspects our system isn't getting it done.

and
Old 03-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #4700
bobrt6676

Quote:
I had the 8 blinking light last night. I have reported before the NCC techs had told me it takes 3 "authorizing" hits to get all stations back. And it works immediately when the 3rd Hit is sent. Of course I had to start out with the 1st line, she tried 1 hit, nothing. I told her it takes 3 hits. She could not comprehend and transfered me to 2nd tier. After 10min on hold, I explained again and she sent a hit. Nothing. She said she would have to roll a truck. I explained and asked her to send 1 more hit. She did and instantly all my SDV stations were back. She was amazed and made a note on my account.
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #4701
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrt6676 View Post
I had the 8 blinking light last night. I have reported before the NCC techs had told me it takes 3 "authorizing" hits to get all stations back. And it works immediately when the 3rd Hit is sent. Of course I had to start out with the 1st line, she tried 1 hit, nothing. I told her it takes 3 hits. She could not comprehend and transfered me to 2nd tier. After 10min on hold, I explained again and she sent a hit. Nothing. She said she would have to roll a truck. I explained and asked her to send 1 more hit. She did and instantly all my SDV stations were back. She was amazed and made a note on my account.
Interesting. I've had the 8-blinks about 9 times now and talked to NCCS at least 4 times, and never heard of the "3 hit" requirement. But I can't assume they tell me every detail of what they do. Next time (and there will be a next time!) I'll make a point of asking about it.

and
Old 03-23-2010, 07:50 PM   #4702
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Interesting. I've had the 8-blinks about 9 times now and talked to NCCS at least 4 times, and never heard of the "3 hit" requirement. But I can't assume they tell me every detail of what they do. Next time (and there will be a next time!) I'll make a point of asking about it.
LMAO I was going to say the same thing. They just need to go to the 07 screen, otherwise known as the balancing screen, & hit enter. Best results are if you have the USB disconnected when they do that too.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:43 PM   #4703
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
LMAO I was going to say the same thing. They just need to go to the 07 screen, otherwise known as the balancing screen, & hit enter. Best results are if you have the USB disconnected when they do that too.
Last time, I tried the "screen 7" suggestion on the CSR and got nowhere -- but that could just be because he was totally clueless. (NCCS had to fix it again.) I've had 2 or 3 times out of 9 when the local CSR knew what to do and did it quickly. All other times it took the NCCS.

I've been told that notations were placed on my account about 8-blink and what to do about it, but there's no indication this does any good.

and
Old 03-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #4704
Grumock

Quote:
Last time, I tried the "screen 7" suggestion on the CSR and got nowhere -- but that could just be because he was totally clueless. (NCCS had to fix it again.) I've had 2 or 3 times out of 9 when the local CSR knew what to do and did it quickly. All other times it took the NCCS.

I've been told that notations were placed on my account about 8-blink and what to do about it, but there's no indication this does any good.
I imagine that would take the ability to be able to read for it to do any good. LOL
Old 03-28-2010, 11:07 PM   #4705
jchick

Still waiting in Aurora, Ohio. Not a peep from anyone. I'm going to call tomorrow and see if I can get some warm fuzzies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallobg View Post
Just spoke with a service tech at my location in Twinsburg, OH. He said that TWC NEO is rolling out the update on a box-by-box basis (e.g., a separate update for each set-top box version that they support). According to him, support for Tivo has not yet been rolled out but should be later this week or early next week (Tivo is pretty near the bottom of the update list). We just have to wait for our roll-out.

On the plus side, TWC customer service didn't blink at reducing my cable bill by 10 days. If this isn't fixed by next week I'll call again and have it reduced further.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:02 PM   #4706
Klankster

Quote:
OK, you and I are in the same system (SW Ohio). My TA goes out every 4 or 5 weeks (8-blinks-pause). I usually end up talking to the TWC National Cable Card Support desk, since they have been the only ones able to fix the problem 2/3 of the time. Last time, the NCCS guy told me the TA's are programmed to require a "balancing hit" every 30 days. This is supposed to happen automatically, but he suspects our system isn't getting it done.
VERY interesting. The last time the 8-blink thing happened for me I was talking to the Tier 3 guy and told him this was getting very old, that it happens at least once a month for me. He looked into my account records and actually admitted he was astonished -- that it HAD happened about every 4 weeks --like clockwork! Every time on the last or next to last day of the month! He said that he suspected a bug in the system that cancels/reauthorizes the TAs, which apparently does so at the end of each month.

I can't wait to see if it happens again this week! [sarcasm mode off]

Klankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:05 PM   #4707
Klankster

P.S. As soon as Tivo comes out with their new DirecTV box, I'm jumping ship back to DirecTV as fast as humanly possible. The TWC Series3 box has been a sad, expensive joke in my family with all these tuning-adapter-related service interruptions and the pixelation issues we get. Not to mention TWC's excessive compression on HD channels makes fast action scenes look like crap. Makes me wonder: What do they think we wanted HD for? Bragging rights? No, I want a quality picture.

Klankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:16 PM   #4708
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klankster View Post
P.S. As soon as Tivo comes out with their new DirecTV box, I'm jumping ship back to DirecTV as fast as humanly possible. .......
You might want to reconsider that plan if **this rumor** is true. Can you imagine a DirecTV DVR supported by Dish?

and
Old 03-29-2010, 10:56 PM   #4709
jchick

I called - what a joke. It's always luck of the draw when you call Customer support. The person I spoke with was clueless about the TA's. She asked someone else and they said all they could do is roll a truck. So, I'll waste some time on Wednesday with a technician who will tell me, "we don't know much of anything about these tuning adapters".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchick View Post
Still waiting in Aurora, Ohio. Not a peep from anyone. I'm going to call tomorrow and see if I can get some warm fuzzies.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:09 AM   #4710
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

When you get that bad CSR - hang up abruptly mid-sentence and try again. This works with CSRs with very poor language skills too and it works for any company you interact with.
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote