TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-23-2010, 08:38 PM   #4651
Orcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Looks like they are properly paired... but looks like you need a 'balancing hit' to get your 'entitlements'.
Great! I think ;-)

I'm guessing I should be able to call them and have them do the balancing from there end - and I should see some results on the cablecard screen.

Currently - for both cards it shows "EMM Count = 0".

What should the count be if things were working properly?

I'm planning on calling TWC from work tomorrow - and if they send the "hit" I'll have the wife check the cablecard screens - and I need to have an idea of what to expect.
Anything but zero?

thanks!

Jim
Orcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:41 PM   #4652
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus View Post
Great! I think ;-)

I'm guessing I should be able to call them and have them do the balancing from there end - and I should see some results on the cablecard screen.

Currently - for both cards it shows "EMM Count = 0".

What should the count be if things were working properly?

I'm planning on calling TWC from work tomorrow - and if they send the "hit" I'll have the wife check the cablecard screens - and I need to have an idea of what to expect.
Anything but zero?

thanks!

Jim
Should be at least 6 emms if not 39.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #4653
Orcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
Should be at least 6 emms if not 39.
Ok,
called while at work today and SLOWLY worked through the question/response card the person at the other end was reading from.

"I don't have a USB cable to unplug"

"I am using a TiVo not a cable tuner"

"no - the cards do not need balanced - you need to send a balancing hit to them'

Approximately 10 minutes after calling - she informed me she had sent the balancing hit - or whatever it is they do.

When I got home - the only difference was that the EMM count was now 2.
The status was still waiting on the EMMs.

Just for the heck of it - I tried restarting my TiVo.

Once it came back up - I checked the cablecard status - and now the EMM count is 0 for both cards.

*sigh*

Don't tell me that if/when I ever get things running properly - if the TiVo restarts - it will be messed up again....
Hopefully that is not the case...

Jim
Old 02-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #4654
ryansdadd

Time Warner not Tivo friendly

Wow what a pain to get my Tivo upgraded.3 day wait while they mailed me a tuning adapter.2 days after that they send out these 2 kids,the whole time they were here they knocked Tivo and how much better TWC's PVR was in their opinion....Took them 2hrs to install the cards (the set they brought needed a firmware upgrade that took about 45min apiece... and to install a tuning adapter (which I was surprised -another large black box) -but at least there is no monthly fee for it.

I am a little suprised that TWC insists on installing the cards.$25 + $2.50 a card is what they charge in Ohio....They still gotta get a cut
ryansdadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:34 PM   #4655
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus View Post
Ok,
called while at work today and SLOWLY worked through the question/response card the person at the other end was reading from.

"I don't have a USB cable to unplug"

"I am using a TiVo not a cable tuner"

"no - the cards do not need balanced - you need to send a balancing hit to them'

Approximately 10 minutes after calling - she informed me she had sent the balancing hit - or whatever it is they do.

When I got home - the only difference was that the EMM count was now 2.
The status was still waiting on the EMMs.

Just for the heck of it - I tried restarting my TiVo.

Once it came back up - I checked the cablecard status - and now the EMM count is 0 for both cards.

*sigh*

Don't tell me that if/when I ever get things running properly - if the TiVo restarts - it will be messed up again....
Hopefully that is not the case...

Jim
Well when you restart it the emms will go to 0. The problem you describe is the card not being staged in the Head End or (DNCS). Normally the regular CSRs will not be able to help you with this since someone has to contact the DNCS & have them manually put in the stage hit. In this case I would recommend that you ask to be transferred to the Cable Card Support desk & they will be able to help you. If you local rep cannot help you call TIVo & they will get you to the Cable Card Support Desk for TWC.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #4656
Orcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
Well when you restart it the emms will go to 0. The problem you describe is the card not being staged in the Head End or (DNCS). Normally the regular CSRs will not be able to help you with this since someone has to contact the DNCS & have them manually put in the stage hit. In this case I would recommend that you ask to be transferred to the Cable Card Support desk & they will be able to help you. If you local rep cannot help you call TIVo & they will get you to the Cable Card Support Desk for TWC.
Ok,
got no where with calling the support desk last night - but she did end up scheduling a truck to roll out here and take a look at things.

Turns out - as you said, the cablecards were paired correctly - but not staged.
The good news is - we have some of the SD channels we were missing - but are still missing a bunch of HD channels. The tech that stopped by this afternoon explained that the missing HD channels are their switched ones - so we're supposed to have another tech stop by on Saturday with a tuning adapter.

Hopefully that will fix things.

The tech tonight couldn't believe the installed hadn't staged the cablecards properly - he asked me if the guy just handed them to me and left ;-)

Jim
Old 03-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #4657
ananke44

Did anyone get a letter about them getting rid of the cable cards? I just got a letter yesterday saying I will lose my HD channels April 5th if I don't have them come bring some external converter box to use their new SDV service...

Okay - nevermind, just found the SDV thread...off to read.
ananke44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #4658
kevin120

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananke44 View Post
Did anyone get a letter about them getting rid of the cable cards? I just got a letter yesterday saying I will lose my HD channels April 5th if I don't have them come bring some external converter box to use their new SDV service...

Okay - nevermind, just found the SDV thread...off to read.
Welocome fellow north texan you welcomed to this thread they want cable card tvs to have a Motorola DCT5100, DCT/DCH 6200 or DCH/DCX3200 replace the cable cards as the tvs are not compatible with the tuning adapter.

now if you have a tivo,moxi,or ati DCT cable card tv PC you can pick up the tuner at a payment center. Some of the payment centers are not open on saturday but the arlington headend/office is open 8:00am-6:00pm mon thru friday on saturday from 8:00am-5:00pm
kevin120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:40 PM   #4659
Orcus

What a pain.
It eventually took TWO service calls to get all of our channels operational.

The issues were - the cablecards were not staged properly - AND most of the
HD channels are switched.

So now we have this big honkin' tuner adapter attached to the TiVo also - and that has made everything work the way it should have.

The tech who brought the tuning adapter had no idea how to set it up - he originally attached just the cable to it - and the usb to the TiVo and expected things to work. I told him it needed a patch cable from the "out" port to the TiVo - but of course he didn't listen.

10 minutes later when no channels at all are coming in - he makes a small patch cable and hooks it up right.

Then they try to charge me $50 for the service call - labeling it as an initial install - and I told them I already PAID for the initial install - this was the second service call to actually fix things the way they should have been!

All's well that ends well I guess...

Jim
Old 03-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #4660
smak
TV MA SLV

Is there a place where I can get an accurate list of which channels on the TWC system in my area are switched?

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:36 AM   #4661
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
Is there a place where I can get an accurate list of which channels on the TWC system in my area are switched?

-smak-
There wasn't on my TWC system (Southwest Ohio). This info is of no interest to 99+% of their subscribers so the tech support people don't usually have it handy. I assume most subscribers get reliable lineup info directly from their TWC set-top box or DVR. When my cable cards and TA were installed last July the installers couild not even give me a list of the channels I should receive. I keep asking for channel lineup brochures and they keep sending them, but they are never up to date. They have a channel lineup webpage but it is so user unfriendly that it's practically useless (and doesn't distinguish SDV channels at all, of course).

I once made a tech support person read me the list of SDV channels over the phone, but later determined it was inaccurate and incomplete.

There is a way you can tell if a tuned channel is SDV, see **this post**.. This is tedious and of course requires you to be able to tune the channel -- not helpful if you're wondering if you're failing to tune SDV channels that you should receive.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #4662
supersportsfan

Question...thinking of upgrading from my HD to the Premiere. Will I be able to switch my M card from one box to the other, or will I need to have Time Warner roll a truck?
supersportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #4663
squiddohio

You should be able to just switch the cards and call TW to have them send the appropriate signals, which are needed because the card has to be paired or mated or something to the new box. However, some cable companies seem to want to send a "technician" for such tasks. Be aware, however, that if this is the case, all he will do is take the card, put it in the new TiVo, and call in for some hits. He will have to follow the TiVo instructions you will have, because he will surely not know the TiVo procedures (which is why TiVo prints them out to hand to the "installers." Generally it will be a waste of his time, as a trained chimp could put the card into the box, but rules are rules.
Good luck.
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #4664
jawboneradio

Anyone in North East Ohio with Time Warner Cable not getting the HD channels in the 1000 block? TWC made a lineup change and moved all the HD channels to the 1000's. Tivo has updated the channel guide, but all the HD channels are still in the 400 block. Frustrating to say the least. Can anyone else here commiserate?
jawboneradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:53 PM   #4665
samsauce29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawboneradio View Post
Anyone in North East Ohio with Time Warner Cable not getting the HD channels in the 1000 block? TWC made a lineup change and moved all the HD channels to the 1000's. Tivo has updated the channel guide, but all the HD channels are still in the 400 block. Frustrating to say the least. Can anyone else here commiserate?
Northeast OH (actually Erie, PA) here. All of my channels are working fine as of tonight. The lineup changes came in 2 pieces Tuesday for most and today for local channels. The only one I'm missing now is Fox Sports Pittsburgh.

There was a post from someone in Erie County with a TWC box that mentioned they had moved back to the 400's so it's possibly only in some places.

I can commiserate with you though... hoping this is the end of all the channel flip-flopping.
samsauce29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #4666
jchick

NE Ohio here - Aurora - Yes, same problem

The channels 1000 and over do NOT come in. As you said, Tivo thinks they are there but blank screen.

Quote:

jchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:59 PM   #4667
SubEffect

Quote:
I'm in Lake County and currently re-running guided setup for the third time this week in hopes that the channel lineup gets sorted out. With SDV, it's become quite a nightmare to go back and tune in the 'old' 400 channels since switching between them too frequently is enough to kick the Cisco TA offline for 5-10 minutes. I am hoping this gets cleared up soon. I'm not sure if I should call TWC or TiVo for some help or a status.
SubEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:58 PM   #4668
jchick

Channel not provided by the tuning adapter

So, I just talked to a TWC support rep. She blames it on TIVO, that they have not yet reached an agreement with TWC to 'program' their tuning adapters. She said to call TIVO and complain.

Whatever. This sucks.
jchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #4669
samsauce29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchick View Post
So, I just talked to a TWC support rep. She blames it on TIVO, that they have not yet reached an agreement with TWC to 'program' their tuning adapters. She said to call TIVO and complain.

Whatever. This sucks.
I'm not sure what that means at all... but all is now well in Erie, PA, also part of the TWC Northeast Ohio division.

I'd call back and ask someone else... or maybe call TiVo first and ask them if there is any truth to the statement.
samsauce29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:29 PM   #4670
frankincensed

Does TWC in Ohio not supply M-Cards or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmooh View Post
Does TWC in Ohio not supply M-Cards or something?

If they do and you just have a preference for 2 S-Cards, is there any particular reason for that? Are 2 cards considered to be more reliable somehow, and thus worth the extra $3 a month? For what it's worth, I have one M-Card, and have had no problems with it whatsoever (I've had it for about 1 year).

If they claim to only supply S-Cards and you want an M-Card, you may want to ask them to note you'd like M-Cards on your work order anyway, and to re-iterate that request to the tech who comes to install them. I think I've heard that's worked for some people, as the first line phone support people often don't know much about cable cards.
I did just that, called to ask that I want a M card be written on the work order. What a s--t storm that started. They keep telling me they dont supply M cards, or the (so called)technician that comes to install will have what I need & know what to do. After reading these accounts of incompetence I am starting to second guess using Tivo as a cable box. Up to this point Ive just been using it as a stream box.

Last edited by frankincensed : 03-13-2010 at 11:38 PM.
frankincensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:13 AM   #4671
StanSimmons
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankincensed View Post
I did just that, called to ask that I want a M card be written on the work order. What a s--t storm that started. They keep telling me they dont supply M cards, or the (so called)technician that comes to install will have what I need & know what to do. After reading these accounts of incompetence I am starting to second guess using Tivo as a cable box. Up to this point Ive just been using it as a stream box.
Bingo! That is exactly what TWC is hoping for. Stand your ground and make them keep rolling trucks until it works.

"easy as 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884179"
StanSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #4672
vboshart

Time Warner Cable in Utica New York

Utica, NY - It took me 3 months and 6 TWC visits but I finally got my TiVo Series 3 HD box working with Time Warner Cable.

The end result is that for our area you need a CableCard and Tuning Adapter box. The CableCard should be a MS (multi-stream). This one card will let you access both tuners on your TiVo box.

The cost for the CableCard per month is $2.50. There is no charge for the Tuning Adapter.

They could not supply me with a tuning adapter but I was able to order one on the Time Warner web site. This item is free. I was able to install it myself.

I did run the TiVo setup again once I had the Tuning Adapter installed. Fortunately, even though I did not have the CableCard yet, it gave the option to install a CableCard later.

Once I finally had both items, a tech returned and called TWC to activate the card. It wasn't until some EMM data was sent that the "card" started seeing digital and HD channels. Within 24 hours, all my HD channels programming info was available.

I'm a happy TiVo user again.... I hope this information helps someone else in my area to know that you can use TiVo HD in Central New York.
vboshart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #4673
frankincensed

Ive decided that when the cable guy shows up at my house today, if he doesn't have a m card Im going to forget trying to use tivo hd as my cable box, & just continue to use it as a stream box. This is way too frustrating to screw around for multiple visits from TWC to get this box to work right. Why cant Tivo boxes just take a direct cable input like the TWC dvr?
frankincensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #4674
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Why cant Tivo boxes just take a direct cable input like the TWC dvr?
Because the cableco signals are encrypted and TiVo needs the 'magic decoder ring' in order to decrypt those signals so they are usable. The magic decoder ring is also known as a 'cablecard'.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #4675
bobrt6676

Quote:

SW OHIO TWC - I have 2 TIVOs 2 M-card's. I had 2-S-cards replaced 1 month ago with 1- M-card. The tech that came out was reading off his directions from TWC and it stated only M-cards should be installed in TIVO's. CSR's are mostly clueless(some are very good) Just have them put M-card requested on the service ticket. Don't settle for less.
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #4676
JimWall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchick View Post

Whatever. This sucks.
The support rep is clueless. Keep calling until you get someone who knows what to do or will escalate it to someone who does. Tuning adapters work with more than TIVO though TIVO was the first product to take advantage of it.
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #4677
JimWall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Because the cableco signals are encrypted and TiVo needs the 'magic decoder ring' in order to decrypt those signals so they are usable. The magic decoder ring is also known as a 'cablecard'.
Quote:
Ive decided that when the cable guy shows up at my house today, if he doesn't have a m card Im going to forget trying to use tivo hd as my cable box, & just continue to use it as a stream box. This is way too frustrating to screw around for multiple visits from TWC to get this box to work right. Why cant Tivo boxes just take a direct cable input like the TWC dvr?
I understand TWC DVR and set top boxes now use cable cards also. The main difference is TWC devices support full two way communication with cable system and TIVO does not. Also it costs a lot of money to add that to TIVO. The tuning adapter is a low cost alternative. To be true two way I don't know how much cost is licensing and how much of it is adding processing power to the TIVO to run the cable companies code/plug-in.
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:05 PM   #4678
squiddohio

As it does once every 4 or 5 weeks, my tuning adapter went down and I got the flashing green light again. I called TWC for the usual hit, and this time I got a rep who seemed to know what I was talking about, quickly sent out the hit, resolving the problem. She even admitted that this is caused when TW sends out some signals from time to time, although she did not know what those signals were. Perhaps time and repeated TA calls are educating the folks at the other end of the line. We can only hope, although it would be nice to have a TA that did not need to be "hit" with signals 10 times a year, each of which requires a call to customer "service."
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #4679
KeithB

TWC Carolinas - Charlotte - Just received their "New Digital Cable Lineup" mailer. They're shifting everything from the 200s up into the 1000s like other TWC areas. I really hate knowing just how screwy this is gonna get between TWC, Tribune, and TiVo.
KeithB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #4680
KeithB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWall View Post
The support rep is clueless. Keep calling until you get someone who knows what to do or will escalate it to someone who does. Tuning adapters work with more than TIVO though TIVO was the first product to take advantage of it.
Agreed. The tuning adapters are supplied by the cable companies, not TiVo. The TA firmware is programmed by either Cisco or Motorola, depending on your system. The local cable company is responsible for rolling out firmware upgrades, depending on their hardware and their people.
KeithB is offline   Reply With Quote