TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #4621
Joe Siegler
Registered User
 
Joe Siegler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Garland, TX
Posts: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshdog View Post
I have a basic TWC question. When you have digital cable do you still get analog cable? I'm finally thinking of trying a Cablecard here in Austin, but only on my Tivo HD. I have an S3 and two S2s. I would keep these on analog and OTA.

Thanks
Here in Dallas, they've removed a few analogs lately to make room for more HD. I suspect at some point analog will go away totally. I don't know if there's a drop dead date with that on Cable like there was for OTA broadcasts, but I could just be uninformed on that issue.

But the under 100 channels are analogs here in TWC Dallas. I have them all disabled except for the local government public access channels, and like one other that for some reason is analog only, no digital equivalent.
__________________
Joe Siegler -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #4622
Welshdog
Tivo this, punk!
 
Welshdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
But the under 100 channels are analogs here in TWC Dallas.
Thanks, I imagine the same is true here in Austin. Although I have observed the each TWC city seems to be it's own little kingdom and they all do what they want. In fact, that is characteristic of how Time Warner runs the whole corporation. They encourage internal blood feuds . . . er, um I mean competition between divisions.
__________________
"Nobody looks good in high-def" - Doug Wilson-Weeds
Welshdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #4623
Shmooh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshdog View Post
I have a basic TWC question. When you have digital cable do you still get analog cable? I'm finally thinking of trying a Cablecard here in Austin, but only on my Tivo HD. I have an S3 and two S2s. I would keep these on analog and OTA.

Thanks
Unless TWC intentionally puts a trap on the line to block it, you'll still get analog cable even if you only use digital service. I've never heard of them doing something like that, so you should be just fine.

Lots of people still have older secondary CRT TVs that don't have cable boxes, so many people still need the analog cable signal. If TWC is sending it out, with today's technology there's no real reason to block it from paying customers. It's one of the 'value adds' for cable.

However, like Joe said, analog cable is likely to diminish over time. It's very bandwidth inefficient, and they want the room for HD channels. Eventually, we'll all need boxes for all our non-digital TVs/tuners.

As a side note, many/all of the analog channels are also sent out in digital form. I think the more recent TWC boxes don't even include an analog tuner in them. Customers never even know the difference despite the fact that the channel is basically being sent simultaneously in two different forms.
Shmooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #4624
Ehilbert1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 27
Hey guys. I haven't beem here since 2007 so please forgive me. I'm thinking about going the Tivo HD rout with TW cable. I was wondering if someone could help me out. First off if I hook up a regular antenna to the Tivo HD will I get all the local HD channels in the guide? Second if I just plug in the cable in the back will I be able to get HD channels? I figure I will have to have a cable card for that. If I have to get a cable card do I have to get 2? I live in Columbus Ohio if that helps. Basically I just want to get the lowest digital package in TW that has all the ESPN's and record with the wonderful Tivo HD. Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by Ehilbert1 : 01-18-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Ehilbert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #4625
squiddohio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ohio
Posts: 212
The antenna will give you local stations over the air.
The cable with no CC will also give you local stations, both SD and HiDef. You will also get stations 1-99 analog.
With the most basic digital package and one CC, you will be able to skip the analog stations altogether and get them on a digital feed, which you will notice right away is a substantially clearer picture - almost DVD quality. If you have a 42 or larger screen you will want this.
You can use only 1 CC if you want, but for $3/month you are asking for a lot of aggravation. TW probably won't give you an M-Card (multi-stream which is for two tuners), but I would highly recommend two CCs rather than one. I have 3 HD TiVos with 2 CCs in each; it's a small price to pay to be sure all your programs are accessible for viewing and recording.
Finally, as for ESPN, you will (probably) only get ESPN in Std Def with the basic digital package; I think you will need a basic HD package (different and a step up from the basic digital package) to get ESPN, etc in HiDef. Only the network stations are supplied "free" with basic packages.
Check your local TW web page, or call them for details on packages and pricing to be sure that the HD or digital stations that you want are in the deal you subscribe to.
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #4626
Ehilbert1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddohio View Post
The antenna will give you local stations over the air.
The cable with no CC will also give you local stations, both SD and HiDef. You will also get stations 1-99 analog.
With the most basic digital package and one CC, you will be able to skip the analog stations altogether and get them on a digital feed, which you will notice right away is a substantially clearer picture - almost DVD quality. If you have a 42 or larger screen you will want this.
You can use only 1 CC if you want, but for $3/month you are asking for a lot of aggravation. TW probably won't give you an M-Card (multi-stream which is for two tuners), but I would highly recommend two CCs rather than one. I have 3 HD TiVos with 2 CCs in each; it's a small price to pay to be sure all your programs are accessible for viewing and recording.
Finally, as for ESPN, you will (probably) only get ESPN in Std Def with the basic digital package; I think you will need a basic HD package (different and a step up from the basic digital package) to get ESPN, etc in HiDef. Only the network stations are supplied "free" with basic packages.
Check your local TW web page, or call them for details on packages and pricing to be sure that the HD or digital stations that you want are in the deal you subscribe to.
Thank you for all you help.
Ehilbert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #4627
Shmooh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddohio View Post
You can use only 1 CC if you want, but for $3/month you are asking for a lot of aggravation. TW probably won't give you an M-Card (multi-stream which is for two tuners), but I would highly recommend two CCs rather than one. I have 3 HD TiVos with 2 CCs in each; it's a small price to pay to be sure all your programs are accessible for viewing and recording.
Does TWC in Ohio not supply M-Cards or something?

If they do and you just have a preference for 2 S-Cards, is there any particular reason for that? Are 2 cards considered to be more reliable somehow, and thus worth the extra $3 a month? For what it's worth, I have one M-Card, and have had no problems with it whatsoever (I've had it for about 1 year).

If they claim to only supply S-Cards and you want an M-Card, you may want to ask them to note you'd like M-Cards on your work order anyway, and to re-iterate that request to the tech who comes to install them. I think I've heard that's worked for some people, as the first line phone support people often don't know much about cable cards.
Shmooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:24 AM   #4628
mkomyluck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11
AAARRRGGG....HELP!!!! Arlington TX ZIP 76002...I am so upset. I have had 5 appointments 9 hrs invested and no CC working in my TiVo. I was lucky enough to have 1 SSCC working in my TiVo Tues. night untill the new TWC technician showed up at my house to install the M-Card and He informed me that the 2 M-Cards he brought were not in inventory and could not be activated so he left a non working M-Card in my box and took the only working S-Card. I am so lost, I have never had this problem with Comcast.

I have been a loyal TiVo Member since 05, I moved and were i moved to had no cable service so i was forced to go to Dish. After Paying a year of TiVo service I decided to sell my HD-Box on Ebay. I moved 3 months later I got relocated with work. I decided to go with AT&T Uverse and got the worst picture of my life, after 3 months of this i went to TWC and used there DVR for 3 months...AAARRRRRGGGG....what a POS. I decided since its my B-day to purchase a TiVo. I added the new box, on my account and had already had a M-Card in my house from my Plasma TV which was replaced. So i called the dispatch office told them what i had and they told me to install the M-Card and it should work...I imediatly told them it would not and then was argued with...I had to explain to Tech Support at TWC how a CC works. So after an hour i got someone on the phone who, Supposedly, knew how to deactivate and reactivate and M-Card on my TiVo. That did not work. So they sent a Tech out on Sunday, with 1 M-Card, and gues what after 2 hours they realized this card was in "Lost" Status and could not be activated, so they sent another Tech out on Monday, I left my Mother In Law in the house to Great him, He tried for 2 hours to get the M-Card working and told us it was a Holiday so the Warehouse was Closed and could not get anymore Cards, and informed us it had been a year since he installed a CC and that he really did not know what to do, so he put me on the Schedule for Tuesday after 5 so i could be there, he shows up and Says "good news i brought to good cards" i said "sweet, lets get them on" guess what, S-Cards, so he has 2 no prob, ill pay the extra $3 F-IT right I WANT MY TIVO!!!
after trying to make the M-Card work for 2 hours, I take over, I pull out the BAD M-CARD, installed the S-card told him to call in the numbers and boom it worked, so i installed the second S-Card and NO GO...this card was "LOST IN THE BACKEND"...i got rescheduled for yesterday for noon, i got my call left work and meet the guy he has 2 M-Cards with him and says "I know everything about CC's", i am thinking finally i am going to get my TiVo working. Well yesterday was inventory day, and he left with 2 M-Cards, after he was gone they did inventory and those cards were not in the warehouse and were attached to no ones name so they reported them "Lost" so they could pair them but could not send them a Hit because the cards did not belong to TWC any more.......

WHAT TO DO....ANY ONE IN ARLINGTON EVER GET THERE TIVO WORKING....HELP I NEED HELP....

I decided last night to act dumb...i ordered 3 new M-Cards and told them i would pay 39.99 to have them installed on Sat. in hopes that they will stop putting my ticket on repair status, and bring 3 good M-Cards when i only need one.

HELP....HELP.....HELP.....HELP

sorry so long

Martin
mkomyluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #4629
mkomyluck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11
HELP...ARLINGTON TX, 76002 TIME WARNER CABLE

Here goes, 5 appointments 9 hours of techs at my house and still no TiVo..
mkomyluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #4630
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV
 
skaggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkomyluck View Post
AAARRRGGG....HELP!!!! Arlington TX ZIP 76002...I am so upset. I have had 5 appointments 9 hrs invested and no CC working in my TiVo. I was lucky enough to have 1 SSCC working in my TiVo Tues. night untill the new TWC technician showed up at my house to install the M-Card and He informed me that the 2 M-Cards he brought were not in inventory and could not be activated so he left a non working M-Card in my box and took the only working S-Card. I am so lost, I have never had this problem with Comcast.

I have been a loyal TiVo Member since 05, I moved and were i moved to had no cable service so i was forced to go to Dish. After Paying a year of TiVo service I decided to sell my HD-Box on Ebay. I moved 3 months later I got relocated with work. I decided to go with AT&T Uverse and got the worst picture of my life, after 3 months of this i went to TWC and used there DVR for 3 months...AAARRRRRGGGG....what a POS. I decided since its my B-day to purchase a TiVo. I added the new box, on my account and had already had a M-Card in my house from my Plasma TV which was replaced. So i called the dispatch office told them what i had and they told me to install the M-Card and it should work...I imediatly told them it would not and then was argued with...I had to explain to Tech Support at TWC how a CC works. So after an hour i got someone on the phone who, Supposedly, knew how to deactivate and reactivate and M-Card on my TiVo. That did not work. So they sent a Tech out on Sunday, with 1 M-Card, and gues what after 2 hours they realized this card was in "Lost" Status and could not be activated, so they sent another Tech out on Monday, I left my Mother In Law in the house to Great him, He tried for 2 hours to get the M-Card working and told us it was a Holiday so the Warehouse was Closed and could not get anymore Cards, and informed us it had been a year since he installed a CC and that he really did not know what to do, so he put me on the Schedule for Tuesday after 5 so i could be there, he shows up and Says "good news i brought to good cards" i said "sweet, lets get them on" guess what, S-Cards, so he has 2 no prob, ill pay the extra $3 F-IT right I WANT MY TIVO!!!
after trying to make the M-Card work for 2 hours, I take over, I pull out the BAD M-CARD, installed the S-card told him to call in the numbers and boom it worked, so i installed the second S-Card and NO GO...this card was "LOST IN THE BACKEND"...i got rescheduled for yesterday for noon, i got my call left work and meet the guy he has 2 M-Cards with him and says "I know everything about CC's", i am thinking finally i am going to get my TiVo working. Well yesterday was inventory day, and he left with 2 M-Cards, after he was gone they did inventory and those cards were not in the warehouse and were attached to no ones name so they reported them "Lost" so they could pair them but could not send them a Hit because the cards did not belong to TWC any more.......

WHAT TO DO....ANY ONE IN ARLINGTON EVER GET THERE TIVO WORKING....HELP I NEED HELP....

I decided last night to act dumb...i ordered 3 new M-Cards and told them i would pay 39.99 to have them installed on Sat. in hopes that they will stop putting my ticket on repair status, and bring 3 good M-Cards when i only need one.

HELP....HELP.....HELP.....HELP

sorry so long

Martin
Sounds like the typical TWC cable card installation. Sorry.
__________________
Been watching TV through TiVo since 1998.
skaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:09 AM   #4631
DougJohnson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkomyluck View Post
WHAT TO DO....ANY ONE IN ARLINGTON EVER GET THERE TIVO WORKING....HELP I NEED HELP....
It's probably not any help, but my son-in-law and daughter's TiVo HD is working fine in Arlington. They do have cable card(s), but I don't know if it is two S cards or one M card. -- Doug
DougJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:07 PM   #4632
mkomyluck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11
WOW....I cant believe it....got a call right after this post for another visit by tech...after 2 attempts I am happy to report I have my TIVO WORKING!!!!! the first card the tech put in was my original card that started all of this, i stoped him mid stream walked over to the box ejected it and told him to insert the other card...and WOW it worked...OMG i dont know what i am going to do now...I was thinking about putting another TiVo upstairs but is this worth it??
mkomyluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #4633
mkomyluck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11
Here is a nice side note, if you dont know already and you subscribe to digital cable, at least here in Arlington TX, you can set your TiVo up for regular Cable, do a channel search in settings under channel lineup and your TiVo HD box will display digital cable channels. I recently found this out during my CC ordeal. Most of the channels will not be assigned a name but you can figure them out, my TiVo found 489 cable channels, 1-99 were all assigned numbers..for example it found 4 for fox and 4-1 for fox hd, 34 espn and 234 espn hd <---this was not labeled i had to figure this out.
mkomyluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #4634
mkomyluck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehilbert1 View Post
Thank you for all you help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkomyluck View Post
Here is a nice side note, if you dont know already and you subscribe to digital cable, at least here in Arlington TX, you can set your TiVo up for regular Cable, do a channel search in settings under channel lineup and your TiVo HD box will display digital cable channels. I recently found this out during my CC ordeal. Most of the channels will not be assigned a name but you can figure them out, my TiVo found 489 cable channels, 1-99 were all assigned numbers..for example it found 4 for fox and 4-1 for fox hd, 34 espn and 234 espn hd <---this was not labeled i had to figure this out.
I should elaborate more. Dont be confused by this. The TiVo did not find my premium channels, well it did not scramble them. NO HBO, no 3rd tear programing,
mkomyluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:21 AM   #4635
kevin120
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkomyluck View Post
Here is a nice side note, if you dont know already and you subscribe to digital cable, at least here in Arlington TX, you can set your TiVo up for regular Cable, do a channel search in settings under channel lineup and your TiVo HD box will display digital cable channels. I recently found this out during my CC ordeal. Most of the channels will not be assigned a name but you can figure them out, my TiVo found 489 cable channels, 1-99 were all assigned numbers..for example it found 4 for fox and 4-1 for fox hd, 34 espn and 234 espn hd <---this was not labeled i had to figure this out.
The HD channels are in the 300,400,700,800 range. there are duplicate sd channels in themes such as kids,sports,premiums,music,religious that are on channels 100+.
kevin120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:58 PM   #4636
mdblanke
Registered User
 
mdblanke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 4
I live in the Toledo Ohio area and have TWC with a new HD Tivo with a dual(two way) cable card. Recently TWC introduced some new HD channels. My problem seems to be that TiVo is not recognizing the right new channels. It has two of them switched. It thinks the SyFy channel is Bravo and Bravo is SyFy. I am forcing the TiVo to record Bravo to get my SyFy channels (cant live without my SyFy) Anyone heard of this problem. Should i contact TiVo directly?
mdblanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #4637
cobec8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
Time Warner Cable - NYC

I post this simply to alert/reassure others who wonder why inserting a cable card in a slot and activating it shouldn't be like inserting an ATM card and withdrawing money.

I had my Tivo HD replaced under warranty a few days ago. So when the new Tivo arrived, I took the cable card out of the old Tivo and put it in the new one.

Pop-up: "You must contact Time Warner to activate etc etc... "

I called them. No, they cant activate it by phone. A guy must come out - three days later (that was their earliest appt opening at $40 by the way).

He came. It took three phone calls til he found someone at TW who knew how to activate the card (and "lock it in" as they say). He was here 45 minutes, and went out to the truck to consult another guy as well.

Bottom line: Cable Cards are an unknown quantity to the vast majority of TW NYC customer service reps (who I was advised are going through training etc about this new technology).
cobec8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #4638
cat19me
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9
Tivo TWC in Maine--help deciding

We have three Series 2 Tivos that we've been running with our local small cable company (who doesn't know how to do cablecards and is too small to be required to do them). All of them are set up to use their own digital cable box and to single-tune with IR blaster. (We did all set-up with help from this site; all tech did was run the cable into the house). We do not have HD Tivos or TVs.

We have run our own router off the incoming box in the basement (and added three hubs around the house) to handle our LAN, with printer, computers, and of course the ethernet hookups for the Tivos. All works great.

Local company is stopping their digital cable service completely and moving to Direct TV in a month. I understand that we wouldn't be able to dualtune with DirectTV either. Plus they want a two-year contract.

Our other option is to do TWC. We want to have all three Tivos (finally) able to dual-tune. We do not want any premium subscription (HBO etc) channels. If I understand the CSR, the specialized channel package we want will only work with the cable box, but we could also have standard/classic cable channels available to our other TVs without paying extra.

My questions:

* With a single TWC cable box downstairs and a Series 2 Tivo, do we need any other equipment else to dual-tune for basic and digital cable? What are the limits on that?

* With "just" cable upstairs and two Series 2 Tivos, will we be able to dual tune the "classic" channels on both and what would be the limitations on that?

* What do we need to tell TWC to get all of this set-up effectively? Will they be likely to set this up so that we can still use all the cable we've got installed now for digital internet and cable, or will they likely say that we need to pay them to redo all this?

* How much, if any, of the Tivo setup does TWC need to dp? (We've never had a tech touch our Tivos before.)

* How many zillion hours of labor and visits will this cost us?

* Would we better off giving up dual-tuning yet again and going with DirectTV?
cat19me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:05 PM   #4639
drwmax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
Being told Time Warner NYC "does not support" Tivo HD XL

Just purchased unit; was asked for serial #. I said model #? She said serial #. I said how many digits. She said "it starts with TDC". I said that's the model # and read her the model #. She put me on hold for 10 minutes and said "time warner does not support that tivo version". I said "impossible. Get your supervisor as I know many hundreds or thousands of people are on TWC with that model #." She put me on hold, then came back and said "You need to talk to a supervisor". Now on perma-hold. Suggestions?
drwmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #4640
drwmax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
Update on TWC NYC

Supervisor finally reached. Put me on hold numerous times. Finally said, "we must have old information back from July 2009. A tech will be out early next week." He asked how many cards I needed. I said 1 M-card should suffice. He said, "oh, that Tivo device takes 1 M-card?" I said yes. I then asked if I needed a Tuning Adapter in this region. He said, no your tuners are built in to the Tivo. I said, yes, the tuners are built in, but I might need a Tuning Adapter. You've not heard of that, so please make a note for your technician to bring one just in case.

I'll post everyone next week if this actually works.
drwmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:09 PM   #4641
essjay22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Buffalo NY ( lancaster )
Posts: 2
Thumbs up Western NY here

Got my tivo ,TW tech came out installed one M card, ordered the tuner adapter ( out of stock he knew we needed one) Got the adapter today, I installed it and we are up and running in HD now. The tech visit was 17$ the card was 2 something a Mo. After all the reports in here i was pleasantly surprised that all went well and all the ppl i spoke to were reasonably knowledgeable and helpfull.
Hope you all do as well.
s
essjay22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:59 AM   #4642
mdblanke
Registered User
 
mdblanke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by essjay22 View Post
Got my tivo ,TW tech came out installed one M card, ordered the tuner adapter ( out of stock he knew we needed one) Got the adapter today, I installed it and we are up and running in HD now. The tech visit was 17$ the card was 2 something a Mo. After all the reports in here i was pleasantly surprised that all went well and all the ppl i spoke to were reasonably knowledgeable and helpfull.
Hope you all do as well.
s
I got a letter about the tuner adapter but when i called TW they did not seem to know about it or that i needed one. Certain channels have switched to SD as of Jan-21 but my TiVo still seems to view them fine.(TiVo HD with M-Card) The letter stated that i had 60 days to get a free tuner and that i had to go and pick it up (nearest office is over an hour away). I know with my luck everything will stop working after the 60 days. I have only one problem right now and that is my TiVo thinks the HD SyFy channel is the HD Bravo
mdblanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:56 PM   #4643
rv65
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 90
The North County portion of TWC San Diego is activating SDV tomorrow and a ton of HD channels will be added so you better get your TA ready. The north county system is Motorola while San Diego proper is SA.
rv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #4644
jeremyz
BillingInfoReceived
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwmax View Post
Supervisor finally reached. Put me on hold numerous times. Finally said, "we must have old information back from July 2009. A tech will be out early next week." He asked how many cards I needed. I said 1 M-card should suffice. He said, "oh, that Tivo device takes 1 M-card?" I said yes. I then asked if I needed a Tuning Adapter in this region. He said, no your tuners are built in to the Tivo. I said, yes, the tuners are built in, but I might need a Tuning Adapter. You've not heard of that, so please make a note for your technician to bring one just in case.

I'll post everyone next week if this actually works.
A Tivo on TWC NYC does not need a TA. Not surprising that the guy didn't know what it was.
jeremyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #4645
coltsfanincincy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2
Hi,

Got a TIVO HD Dvr, Called TWC Cincinnati and the sales guy told me they dont do cable cards anymore. Is this true? Should I call back and talk to customer service. I dont want to have to use their excuse for a DVR.

thanks
coltsfanincincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #4646
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: North Potomac, MD
Posts: 3,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfanincincy View Post
Hi,

Got a TIVO HD Dvr, Called TWC Cincinnati and the sales guy told me they dont do cable cards anymore. Is this true? Should I call back and talk to customer service. I dont want to have to use their excuse for a DVR.
You should complain loudly to TWC customer service. They are absolutely legally required to furnish and support cablecards.
__________________
CrispyCritter
TiVo Roamio:Felix TiVo Premiere:Bob TiVo XL4:Fred TiVo HDXL:Sharon TiVoHD:Susan
CrispyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:59 PM   #4647
coltsfanincincy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
You should complain loudly to TWC customer service. They are absolutely legally required to furnish and support cablecards.
I thought I read that somewhere just wasnt Sure.. Thanks Crispy
coltsfanincincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #4648
SCSIRAID
Registered User
 
SCSIRAID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfanincincy View Post
I thought I read that somewhere just wasnt Sure.. Thanks Crispy
If you dont get anywhere with TWC, call TiVo and ask for cablecard support... they will help kick 'em in the behind...
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #4649
Orcus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Akron, Oh
Posts: 22
Hi,
Bought a TivoHD a couple weeks before having North East Ohio TWC come out and hook us up to cable.
When I arranged the appointment, I informed the person at the other end that I needed either 2 single stream or 1 multi stream cablecard.

The install "seemed" to go smoothly - checked out a bunch of channels and was really happy with how HD looked on our TV.

Of course - a day later the wife complained to me that some of her favorite (non-premium) channels are just gray screens...

Argh!

read the FAQ - and I see this is a "fairly" common occurrence ;-)

Now - I'm trying to narrow down just what the cause of our gray screens.
I haven't called TWC yet to verify our account is setup correctly - but I did look at the cablecard setup screens.

We have two Single stream SA cards (no Multistreams in stock) and according to the FAQ - what I should see is:

"CP Auth: Received"
"Powerkey Status: Ready"

For both cards - what I see is:

"CP Auth: Received"
"Powerkey Status: Not Ready waiting for EMMS"

Now - from a quick search, "Not Ready waiting for EMMS" means neither cablecard is properly setup?

And I need to schedule a service call to get their butts out here and finish setting things up?

thanks

Jim
Orcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:20 PM   #4650
SCSIRAID
Registered User
 
SCSIRAID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus View Post
Hi,
Bought a TivoHD a couple weeks before having North East Ohio TWC come out and hook us up to cable.
When I arranged the appointment, I informed the person at the other end that I needed either 2 single stream or 1 multi stream cablecard.

The install "seemed" to go smoothly - checked out a bunch of channels and was really happy with how HD looked on our TV.

Of course - a day later the wife complained to me that some of her favorite (non-premium) channels are just gray screens...

Argh!

read the FAQ - and I see this is a "fairly" common occurrence ;-)

Now - I'm trying to narrow down just what the cause of our gray screens.
I haven't called TWC yet to verify our account is setup correctly - but I did look at the cablecard setup screens.

We have two Single stream SA cards (no Multistreams in stock) and according to the FAQ - what I should see is:

"CP Auth: Received"
"Powerkey Status: Ready"

For both cards - what I see is:

"CP Auth: Received"
"Powerkey Status: Not Ready waiting for EMMS"

Now - from a quick search, "Not Ready waiting for EMMS" means neither cablecard is properly setup?

And I need to schedule a service call to get their butts out here and finish setting things up?

thanks

Jim
Looks like they are properly paired... but looks like you need a 'balancing hit' to get your 'entitlements'.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |