Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-26-2009, 02:26 AM   #4591
notting

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojoe792 View Post
1) Tivo or TWC DVR?
2) Do I get video on demand? (I live in the LA area).
3) With the purchase of a Tivo (and renting a CableCard) do I get all the channels I pay for in my house? Or...are HBO and other premiums an additional purchase?
4) Do I get all my HD channels?
5) What is the biggest complaint TWC customers have about Tivo?
1) Never used TWC DVR, can't compare
2) You do not get your Time Warner VOD service with Tivo. You do get access to Netflix, Amazon, and Blockbuster VOD.
3) If you have cable cards, you will get all the premiums you pay for automatically. (However, see #4 below.)
4) If your provider has implemented Switched Digital Video for some channels (SDV), you will need a Tuning Adapter to get those channels. According to this thread, TWC hasn't enabled SDV in SoCal yet, but it's likely to come soon.
5) Two main complaints:
  • Time Warner enables the CCI copy protection bit on most all non-broadcast channels, rendering Tivo's multi-room viewing useless for recordings from those channels
  • The SDV user experience. There are a variety of bugs (the adapter locks up or loses provisioning, it breaks MRV between Series 2 and Series 3, there are some video corruption issues occasionally), and the TWC front-line techs aren't usually well versed in dealing with the problems and resolving them

notting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:41 AM   #4592
mmcgown

In Austin, I don't find the statement about Time Warner and copy protection to be true......
mmcgown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #4593
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcgown View Post
In Austin, I don't find the statement about Time Warner and copy protection to be true......
Run Tivo Desktop from your PC and see if you can transfer anything from the Tivo to the computer. The copy protection flag is set for every program so you can't view anything anywhere except on the Tivo that recorded the program.

What is your experience in Austin? What equipment do you have and can you move the programs around with Tivo Desktop?
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:13 AM   #4594
Eve6MediaHQ

Just had a great installation with Time Warner NYC here in "Southern Manhattan" (I'm on 84th St., which is technically falls in that area).

The tech knew what he was doing and didn't need TiVo's instructions at all. Friendly guy that knew his stuff. He was done in 20 mins.

It will cost a couple of bucks a month, but I'm saving around 8 when considering my cable box cost over $10 per month!

I might miss VOD, but I'll have Amazon now!
Eve6MediaHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:57 AM   #4595
Ian
TBLBITW

Eve, you can do what I did - just split your cable so one output goes into the TiVo and the other goes to the TWC DVR - that way, you can have TiVo AND VOD!

-Ian
Old 12-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #4596
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojoe792 View Post
Hey guys -

Some new guy questions for you right here. Would appreciate some help sooooo much.

I'm currently debating between the Tivo and the TWC DVR. So...

1) Tivo or TWC DVR?

If tivo....

2) Do I get video on demand? (I live in the LA area).
3) With the purchase of a Tivo (and renting a CableCard) do I get all the channels I pay for in my house? Or...are HBO and other premiums an additional purchase?
4) Do I get all my HD channels?
5) What is the biggest complaint TWC customers have about Tivo?

Thanks for the help
joe
5)
Hey Joe-

You are in the same boat I was in prior to recently opting to replace my TWC DVR with the 20 hour HD TiVo (I live in Anaheim). That being said, I am more than qualified to answer all of your questions.
#1- TiVo hands down!
#2- You will lose the TWC version of VOD but you will gain access to Netflix, Amazon, Blockbuster, YouTube, Walt Disney Studios, Jaman Movies and Shorts, and Music Choice (music videos). You will also gain the ability to publish your own home movies that friends and family can view from their own TiVo DVR.
#3- Once the cable cards are installed, you will have access to the same channels you did when you had the TWC DVR at no additional charge (other than, as you mentioned, the cable card rental fees).
#4- You will get the same HD channels you did when you had the TWC DVR.
#5- It's been my understanding the biggest complaint stems from TWC's lack of knowledge about the cable card install. If you search the forum, you will find literally hundreds of horror stories about TWC having no clue, or at least feigning to, how to properly install the cards. My personal opinion is this is merely a ploy on TWC's part to keep their DVR customers from changing to TiVo and, truth be told, it kept me from making the change for over a year. But, after a year of swearing at the piece of crap DVR I was renting from TWC when it would freeze up (I had TWC out x3 and each replacement had the same flaw), I finally decided to add an HD TiVo to the other 3 S2 TiVo's I already owned. And I am glad I did!
Also, some TWC DVR users might see TiVo as overkill which, if you simply want a way to digitally record programs from your TV, maybe TiVo is overkill. But, when you're paying $16.50 a month rental for a DVR, shouldn't it do a little more than record programs?

Joe, I have been a TiVo customer for about 7 years. As I said, I now have 4 of their DVR's. Yes, I have done some bitching about TiVo in the past but that was prior to trying a competitor's DVR. I am here to tell you, the TWC DVR cannot hold a candle to TiVo! With TiVo, you can incorporate it into your home network which will open a multitude of opportunities for you. If you're like me and you store music, video, and picture files on a networked PC, once you include your TiVo in your network, will you be able to play all your music files and view all your video and picture files on whatever TV's you have connected to a networked TiVo DVR. If you have more than one TiVo DVR, through the Multiroom Viewing option (MVR) you can move programs between each networked TiVo. Point being, the advantages of having a TiVo DVR compared to a TWC DVR are too numerous to list here. 'Course, if you'd rather pay $16.50 a month to TWC for a clunky box that only records TV programs, that's an option as well.
Joey Bagadonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:39 PM   #4597
jarito

Quote:
Originally Posted by veracity View Post
I had an appointment to have two cable cards installed... and it was cancelled because they didn't have cards in their truck. When I called to re-schedule they increased the price to about $25 a card per month. Ridiculous.
This isn't correct. The price for cable cards is still $2.50 / mo AFAIK.
jarito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:06 PM   #4598
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Can someone that's in the Buffalo area give me a heads-up on how a TivoHD handles basic TWC cable and how it carries HD locals?

I put a TivoHD into the in-laws, they're in East Amherst. They've got basic TWC cable, nothing extra. There are /some/ HD locals on it in the 100-x range. Some, but not all. And there's no guide data for the ones that do appear. The station call letters are listed but the guide shows 'To be announced' on them. The same SD locals show up (in the single digits) with guide data as expected.

I did a manual channel scan and a whole BUNCH of other channels were detected, including the guide-less locals. A random review of the scanned channels showed nothing was on them. They don't show up with any call letters, just and asterisk and no guide data.

So is it possible for a TWC customer in East Amherst to get the HD locals with guide data on the basic service?

And what would it take to get an HD version of the 'basic' cable lineup? As in, no premium channels, just stuff like Discovery, History, TBS, etc. Would it be just a CableCard, or would an switched video adapter be necessary instead/additionally?

I attempted to get these answers at the West Seneca office when I returned their leased cable modem (I bought one for them instead). The personnel there had "never" dealt with Tivo units and had no answers.

Last edited by wkearney99 : 01-01-2010 at 12:16 PM.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:20 AM   #4599
aklaren

I have a problem with Time Warner trying to force me to go to their digital tier service in order to get my Cablecard.

I talked with a rep over the phone and walked into the local office and both said there was no way to "block" the HD channels like Disney, etc, so I would be required to go to the digic pic 1000 or whatever before they could give me a Cablecard. Installation would be $42 and it had to be done by a tech.

I have a Tivo HD unit in Durham, North Carolina and I currently pay for the basic cable package which gives me the 2-26 of std cable channels and if I plug the coax directly to my Sony Bravia HD TV I get the std cable channels and the digital channels as well(non-premium, of course).

I have read in a few different places and even seeing in this thread that I shouldn't be forced to go to the digital service plan, but I have no leverage with these people. Please help!
aklaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #4600
mmcgown

Reply to dcstager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
Run Tivo Desktop from your PC and see if you can transfer anything from the Tivo to the computer. The copy protection flag is set for every program so you can't view anything anywhere except on the Tivo that recorded the program.

What is your experience in Austin? What equipment do you have and can you move the programs around with Tivo Desktop?
Maybe I spoke too soon.....nearly all of the programs recorded in this house are on network affiliates from an OTA signal, and those are not copy-protected. The handful of true cable channel shows are copy-protected on the TiVoHD but not on the Series 2.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:17 AM   #4601
mmcgown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmooh View Post
Hrm. I could have sworn I remembered people on here talking about the TAs being extra sensitive. Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong (which is probable) and it's the Tivo itself.
You're not remembering it wrong.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #4602
IMD

Wink

Thought I'd add one positive note here, for prospective HDers. I'm on Time Warner in Rochester, NY and recently upgraded from a 9-year old Series2 to an HD XL. So far (1 week) it's working great with an M-card and TA.

TW was mostly helpful, although they would not send me a TA until AFTER the tech came out and "installed" (inserted) the M-card. It took only two days to get the TA, so no great loss. First M-card didn't work, as with the M-card I actually lost some of the HD channels once I installed the TA. However, a truck roll produced a second M-card that worked fine, and I've had steady power on the TA ever since.

Just a note that in all the confusion, the system does occasionally work
Ian
IMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:52 AM   #4603
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Tried to record Doctor Who, the end of time part one last week. BBCA was pixelating and hanging so bad I had to torrent the show just to watch it. Part two recorded fine, but it was on a different day.
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #4604
Shmooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
Tried to record Doctor Who, the end of time part one last week. BBCA was pixelating and hanging so bad I had to torrent the show just to watch it. Part two recorded fine, but it was on a different day.
We recorded the same thing, and had a good bit of pixelation as well. It was still watchable, if a bit irritating.

TWC has been working with SCSIRAID here in the Raleigh NC area regarding the pixelation of SDV channels. Check out the TWC Tuning Adapters Carolina's thread for more on this. Start around ** here ** for the most recent info. I'm assuming BBCA is an SDV channel for you, too?

As a side note, our local Fox affiliate recently had an issue with their connection to the data feed from Fox itself - massive pixelation and cut outs for an hour or so. Half the show was gone, and it was entirely unwatchable. This had nothing to do with Tivo and I think it's pretty unlikely that was your issue, but I'm just throwing it out there as a remotely possible problem with your region of the country on BBCA.
Shmooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #4605
LockRob

pixelation

I would like to know who best to #itch to...
There are many times that if I am watching a show that I actually need to be able to hear, I might as well turn off the TV. Pixelation and audio drop-out of about half of every third sentence.
On some shows, it doesn't matter; but on others it REALLY does, and they become un-watchable. Something's got to give, and at this point it may be my cable contract! It wouldn't be so bad if this were an occasional problem, but here in Charlotte, it is what our cable service is all the time. The really bad thing is that I dropped DirecTV to move to cable for the HD, and for the most part the service has been horrendous.
LockRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #4606
lwarzy

May be stating the obvious to some, but all of my pixelation/SDV/tuning adapter/signal strength issues were solved by replacing the cable between my TiVo and the turning adapter. The one that comes with it is a piece of crap. Needless to say, I didn't figure that out my own... I had someone come out from TWC and after that was replaced, everything was crystal clear. So if you've got a better coaxial cable lying around, give it a shot before waiting on a service guy to come out.
lwarzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #4607
debdean

Cable Cards are a pain

These cable cards are a pain. Every other month I loose the signal and TWC has to come out and fix it. Rebooting never helps. I love TIVO but I dont understand why it had to be designed with these cable cards. I kind of regret ever buying the HD Tivo now. I should have gotten the TWC DVR.
debdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #4608
debdean

Cable Cards are a pain

These cable cards are a pain. Every other month I loose the signal and TWC has to come out and fix it. Rebooting never helps. I love TIVO but I dont understand why it had to be designed with these cable cards. I kind of regret ever buying the HD Tivo now. I should have gotten the TWC DVR.
debdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #4609
m_jonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmooh View Post
We recorded the same thing, and had a good bit of pixelation as well. It was still watchable, if a bit irritating.

TWC has been working with SCSIRAID here in the Raleigh NC area regarding the pixelation of SDV channels. Check out the TWC Tuning Adapters Carolina's thread for more on this. Start around ** here ** for the most recent info. I'm assuming BBCA is an SDV channel for you, too?

As a side note, our local Fox affiliate recently had an issue with their connection to the data feed from Fox itself - massive pixelation and cut outs for an hour or so. Half the show was gone, and it was entirely unwatchable. This had nothing to do with Tivo and I think it's pretty unlikely that was your issue, but I'm just throwing it out there as a remotely possible problem with your region of the country on BBCA.
Thanks for the link, although in Albany, the issue doesn't appear to be the TA or Tivo, but rather TW SDV in general. Even people with the Scientific Atlanta cable boxes with cable cards get pixelation on SDV only channels. That would seem to me to indicate it's a systemic problem in TW Albany's SDV system and/or something with their own cable cards.

I'll still dump TW in a second the minute FIOS comes to town or DTV has a Tivo that can do MRV/TTG.
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:24 AM   #4610
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by debdean View Post
I see. TWC proves themselves incapable of supporting their own equipment, and because of that, your reaction is to get more TWC equipment? I'd be doing a lot more complaining to TWC, including getting money back.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #4611
JimWall

pixelation

I had some pixelation problems a while ago. I would also randomly not even get certain channels SDV and non-SDV.
Problem is virtually eliminated after a tech determined my signal was too weak and the cable in the ground outside was water damaged.
He installed better quality splitter inside, an amplifier outside and replaced all the coax cables inside. He said the techs have been complaining about how low the quality is for the coax cables that come with the tuning adapters. He said the TV signal from a station 110 miles away is able to get in a cause interference and pixelation! Especially TNT HD in Southwest Ohio.
A few days later a crew came and replaced the underground cable.
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #4612
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWall View Post
I had some pixelation problems a while ago. I would also randomly not even get certain channels SDV and non-SDV.
Problem is virtually eliminated after a tech determined my signal was too weak and the cable in the ground outside was water damaged.
He installed better quality splitter inside, an amplifier outside and replaced all the coax cables inside. He said the techs have been complaining about how low the quality is for the coax cables that come with the tuning adapters. He said the TV signal from a station 110 miles away is able to get in a cause interference and pixelation! Especially TNT HD in Southwest Ohio.
A few days later a crew came and replaced the underground cable.
Yup... I just tossed the cable that came with my TA's in the trash. I make my own with quad shield and compression fittings. No problems.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #4613
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
I see. TWC proves themselves incapable of supporting their own equipment, and because of that, your reaction is to get more TWC equipment? I'd be doing a lot more complaining to TWC, including getting money back.
Well said. I've been saying all along that TWC's feigned ignorance with regard to CableCards and their proper installation is nothing more than a ploy on their part to keep their customers from opting to go with TiVo instead of TWC's POS DVR's.
Joey Bagadonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:31 PM   #4614
Pafrican

Had my cable card install in SoCal 10 days ago. Things went pretty smoothly. Despite initially being told when I made the appointment that they don't carry M-Cards, never have, and have no plans to do so (pretty sure the same customer service guy stole my credit card number), of course the install tech arrives with an m-card.

The original dispatch person he spoke to didn't know what he was doing so originally the card didn't pair correctly. He found somebody better in dispatch after calling another tech for a recommendation. After that, everything paired fine. So far no issues. Now, having come from Cox, I know things can happen at any moment and I can run into issues. I hope I dodge them. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, just wanted to post the success story and hopefully any future installs get "Robert" as your tech.
Pafrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:05 PM   #4615
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pafrican View Post
Had my cable card install in SoCal 10 days ago. Things went pretty smoothly. Despite initially being told when I made the appointment that they don't carry M-Cards, never have, and have no plans to do so (pretty sure the same customer service guy stole my credit card number), of course the install tech arrives with an m-card.

This is hilarious...
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:48 PM   #4616
krille

Anyone having problem with Time Warner cable cards in Brooklyn/NYC?

For the last couple of months, I've been having a recurring problem where both my Time Warner cable cards cannot tune certain channels. There's no consistent pattern: sometimes it's a few channels, sometimes lots. Sometimes HD, sometimes SD - sometimes premium, sometimes broadcast.

The only channels that I don't ever seem to lose are SD broadcast, and the two cards always lose the same channels at the same time. So it seems like a provisioning problem. A friend who also lives in Brooklyn reports a similar issue that started about the same time.

When I call Time Warner they do a couple of perfunctory tests, and then invariably tell me they have to send a tech to the house. The tech does a bunch of irrelevant diagnostics, and then eventually they call some cable card guru who wipes all the entitlements and reprovisions the cards (which could be done without anyone ever setting foot in my apartment).

Left alone, the missing channels tend to come back after a couple of days.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any suggestions for what to do? I don't think I can stand to make yet another unnecessary appointment with a TW tech.
krille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:02 AM   #4617
mmcgown

You didn't say whether your TWC office is using Switched Digital Video and whether you have a Tuning Adapter.......it might help to know that.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #4618
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by krille View Post
For the last couple of months, I've been having a recurring problem where both my Time Warner cable cards cannot tune certain channels. There's no consistent pattern: sometimes it's a few channels, sometimes lots. Sometimes HD, sometimes SD - sometimes premium, sometimes broadcast.

The only channels that I don't ever seem to lose are SD broadcast, and the two cards always lose the same channels at the same time. So it seems like a provisioning problem. A friend who also lives in Brooklyn reports a similar issue that started about the same time.

When I call Time Warner they do a couple of perfunctory tests, and then invariably tell me they have to send a tech to the house. The tech does a bunch of irrelevant diagnostics, and then eventually they call some cable card guru who wipes all the entitlements and reprovisions the cards (which could be done without anyone ever setting foot in my apartment).

Left alone, the missing channels tend to come back after a couple of days.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any suggestions for what to do? I don't think I can stand to make yet another unnecessary appointment with a TW tech.
If TWC support can't fix it on the phone, ask them to connect you to the TWC National Cable Card Support (NCCS) desk. If they claim they never heard of that, tell them you know it exists and give them the telephone number: 866-532-2598. Note: you should not call this number directly -- you're supposed to get referred to them either by TWC local support or TiVo support. If they still refuse to connect you, hang up and either call TiVo support or wait a while and call TWC support again, hopefully getting a better rep. The NCCS hours of operation are 10am to 11pm Eastern time. Note that not all TiVo support reps know about NCCS so you may have to insist and give them the number also.

My experience with the the NCCS desk has been for Tuning Adapter problems and they can almost always get you fixed up very quickly.

You can let local support schedule a truck roll, then cancel it after the NCCS desk fixes the problem.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #4619
krille

That's really helpful thanks. As far as I know, TW has not rolled out SDV in my area (the TW website still indicates it's "coming soon"). I'll definitely try to get connected to the national cable card support line - that sounds very promising.
krille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:51 PM   #4620
Welshdog
Tivo this, punk!

I have a basic TWC question. When you have digital cable do you still get analog cable? I'm finally thinking of trying a Cablecard here in Austin, but only on my Tivo HD. I have an S3 and two S2s. I would keep these on analog and OTA.

Thanks