TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #4501
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,842
You could complain to TWC corporate and the FCC using the links given in post #4491 of this thread. Frankly I don't think such complaints will do much, but you don't know unless you try.

Also, call TiVo support and after letting them try whatever they want, ask if they can connect to the TWC National Cable Card Support Group. This can be done outside normal business hours. The NCCS people really understand CableCARDs and TA's and they can communicate with your local TWC office to help them do the right things.

It seems absolutely ridiculous that so many TWC customer interface people don't even know whether their service area is using SDV and Tuning Adapters -- until you realize that only TiVo users ever care about this and they are only about 0.5% of digital cable subscribers.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:38 AM   #4502
kevin120
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhochman View Post
Here's my expeirence, I got TW cable in the Bar Harbor Maine area (served out of Bangor) Because i bought a new house that did not have a clear line of sight for my DirecTV. They gave me a crappy Motorola DVR that i hated, So i bought a new Series 3 Tivo. When i called TW to get it set up, i was informed that i could only get a cable card if i had a specific serial number, which i did not have. when i informed them that Tivo says the S3 will work with any CableCard made in the USA, the guy "Checked with his Tech" and was informed that it would not work with my Tivo. When in formed him that according to the FCC's website, they were required to provide a CableCard for my tivo, he asked when he should have the tech there to install it.

3 days later, Tech shows up with two S cards.. and spends the next 3 hours trying to pair the cards, finally he gives up in disgust when he is unable to get the cards to work.. 20 minutes after he stops frigging with the cards and has left, they mysteriously start working...

They have been working fine for the past 9 months... until 2 weeks ago, when i lost most of my HD channles, i signed up for a Tuning Adapter months ago, but never got one, so i call support, and inform them then i've lost my channels, he tries sending me a hit, no dice, sends me to tier 3 tech support, the guy i talk to is very nice, but knows nothing about SDV bring rolled out in my area, first he says it is, then it isn't, that he can just send me a tuning adapter, then that he can't, and has to have a tech come out... so i schedule an appointment for today... The installer shows up (a very nice young woman) with guess what... No tuning adapter. no M cards, her work order just says "Customer can't get HD" says nothing about SDV, nothing about the 20 minute conversation that i had with the tier 3 tech about it being an SDV problem... So she says that she is going to be heading back to the office later, and can come back out with the tuning adapter and an M card.... time passes....

She comes back, tuning adapter in hand, goes took it up and "Has never seen a setup like mine" i have a splitter running to the motorola box, and to my tivo s3, not a very complex setup. she doesnt' want to install the M card because of all the trouble we had with the S cards, she gets the tuning adapter installed.... and it wont' sync up to TimeWarner... several calls back and forth with the office and... we have to install the M card...

She gets the M card installed, paired up and... No Sync with the tuning adapter...

"Oh, sometimes they take a while to sync" well here we are 3 hours later.. and no sync. she said that if it has not synced by monday, call the office and they will send a tech with a new tuning adapter...

Ugh...
did they try to install a MTR700 or a STA1250. If it was the second one it was no wonder that it did not work they only work on cisco cable systems not motorola cable systems.
kevin120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:28 AM   #4503
mhochman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 41
It's an MTR700, Which funnily enough looks almost exactly like Motorola's old Vonage adapter. almost the same identical case, two Coax on the back instead of two RJ11's and amber/red lights on the front instead of Green/Red.

Either way, Still no Sync... So I guess I'll have to call TW on Monday. Everyone i talk to there continues to say "Well we're all very new at this digital stuff" but I don't find that a valid excuse, they should have made sure everyone was familiar before the switch.

Right now i'm no worse off than i was before, i get all my locals in HD, i'm just missing a dozen or so channels, which i do get on my TW box. But i'd like to actually get what i'm paying for on both boxes.
__________________
Lets Go Mets!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
http://www.ilikemonkeys.org
mhochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #4504
kevin120
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhochman View Post
It's an MTR700, Which funnily enough looks almost exactly like Motorola's old Vonage adapter. almost the same identical case, two Coax on the back instead of two RJ11's and amber/red lights on the front instead of Green/Red.

Either way, Still no Sync... So I guess I'll have to call TW on Monday. Everyone i talk to there continues to say "Well we're all very new at this digital stuff" but I don't find that a valid excuse, they should have made sure everyone was familiar before the switch.

Right now i'm no worse off than i was before, i get all my locals in HD, i'm just missing a dozen or so channels, which i do get on my TW box. But i'd like to actually get what i'm paying for on both boxes.
actually the MTR700 uses the same case as the DCT700.
kevin120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #4505
tydurden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 12
Tivo Swapped & Tried 10 different Cablecards and still not working...

Is this my problem "Channel List Received: No"?

I am having a technician come out today for the 10-12 time (I have lost count) and am looking for troubleshooting ideas to help him out.

Background:
The harddrive in my original TivoHD went bad so I had to get a replacement. Ever since it has been replaced TWC has been unable to get my new Tivo to work using their cable cards.

TWC tried at least 10 different cards as well as two different types M and S. We even swapped out the Tivo again to make sure it was not the tivo.

Both TWC and Tivo have gone through all the cable card screens and say that everything looks perfect.

But the Tivo will just sit at aquiring channel information and never pickup any channels.
tydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #4506
SCSIRAID
Registered User
 
SCSIRAID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by tydurden View Post
Is this my problem "Channel List Received: No"?

I am having a technician come out today for the 10-12 time (I have lost count) and am looking for troubleshooting ideas to help him out.

Background:
The harddrive in my original TivoHD went bad so I had to get a replacement. Ever since it has been replaced TWC has been unable to get my new Tivo to work using their cable cards.

TWC tried at least 10 different cards as well as two different types M and S. We even swapped out the Tivo again to make sure it was not the tivo.

Both TWC and Tivo have gone through all the cable card screens and say that everything looks perfect.

But the Tivo will just sit at aquiring channel information and never pickup any channels.
That is a problem.... yes...
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:01 AM   #4507
tydurden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 12
Channel List Recieved: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
That is a problem.... yes...
TWC and TIVO both agree that the Cable card is paired and activated properly (Val:V) but the tivo will not "download" the channel list. Any ideas to resolve?
tydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:33 PM   #4508
SCSIRAID
Registered User
 
SCSIRAID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by tydurden View Post
TWC and TIVO both agree that the Cable card is paired and activated properly (Val:V) but the tivo will not "download" the channel list. Any ideas to resolve?
Can you get into TA Diags? What is the FDC signal level from TA Diags?

At the very bottom of DVR Diags... Does it say TA is Operational? Status is Ready? but channel list received is NO?

Have you tried another USB cable? Perhaps plug the USB cable into the other TiVo USB port?
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:38 PM   #4509
tydurden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Can you get into TA Diags? What is the FDC signal level from TA Diags?

At the very bottom of DVR Diags... Does it say TA is Operational? Status is Ready? but channel list received is NO?

Have you tried another USB cable? Perhaps plug the USB cable into the other TiVo USB port?
I don't have a TA. I verified with the local office that I do not need one.
tydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #4510
SCSIRAID
Registered User
 
SCSIRAID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by tydurden View Post
I don't have a TA. I verified with the local office that I do not need one.

Ahhh... I missed that. So in this case, the channel map is coming from the cablecards... In DVR Diags.. what is the OOB SNR? Is OOB Signal Lock = YES?
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #4511
tydurden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Ahhh... I missed that. So in this case, the channel map is coming from the cablecards... In DVR Diags.. what is the OOB SNR? Is OOB Signal Lock = YES?
I am not if front of my TIVO right now. But my SNR was 26 and I am not sure what the OOB Signal Lock was.
tydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #4512
tydurden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Ahhh... I missed that. So in this case, the channel map is coming from the cablecards... In DVR Diags.. what is the OOB SNR? Is OOB Signal Lock = YES?

OOB SNR 25dB
OOB Signal Lock is Yes

What does that mean?
tydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #4513
SCSIRAID
Registered User
 
SCSIRAID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by tydurden View Post
OOB SNR 25dB
OOB Signal Lock is Yes

What does that mean?
It means that your TiVo can 'hear' the hub just fine...

Just so I understand... you have had two TiVo's and neither can get a channel map? I cant believe you have two bad TiVo's... On the other hand, do you have a TWC digital box that works ok? do you have a cablecard TV you could try? Are their any other TiVo's in your neighborhood? You might ask your local TWC folks if they have a TiVo they could try on your line (our local guys have TiVo's).
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #4514
tydurden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
It means that your TiVo can 'hear' the hub just fine...

Just so I understand... you have had two TiVo's and neither can get a channel map? I cant believe you have two bad TiVo's... On the other hand, do you have a TWC digital box that works ok? do you have a cablecard TV you could try? Are their any other TiVo's in your neighborhood? You might ask your local TWC folks if they have a TiVo they could try on your line (our local guys have TiVo's).
I have tried two different Tivo's and neither can get a channel map. I used to have a TivoHD that worked on this line but I had to return it (bad harddrive).

I am thinking their is something wrong with my account.

One thing I notice is that in the Network Setup screen the VCTID shows "11". But in the DVR diagnotics screen VCTID is "-".
tydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:42 PM   #4515
rassi
Registered User
 
rassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 99
Ok, we have had a TiVoHD for about 5 months now, and at least once a month the Tuning Adapter loses it's "lock" and the green light on the front starts flashing. We then can no longer get the channels that require the TA to tune them in. Each time I have called Time Warner support and every time they have had to send someone out to the house to fix the problem. I ask the technician every time what he does to fix it, and they can never tell me anything straight.

A - Why does this keep happening?

B - Is there a way to resolve this issue without having to have a TW tech come out to the house???

We have a Cisco STA1520 TA....
rassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:16 PM   #4516
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by rassi View Post
Ok, we have had a TiVoHD for about 5 months now, and at least once a month the Tuning Adapter loses it's "lock" and the green light on the front starts flashing. We then can no longer get the channels that require the TA to tune them in. Each time I have called Time Warner support and every time they have had to send someone out to the house to fix the problem. I ask the technician every time what he does to fix it, and they can never tell me anything straight.

A - Why does this keep happening?

B - Is there a way to resolve this issue without having to have a TW tech come out to the house???

We have a Cisco STA1520 TA....
This kind of thing is pretty common -- probably more than one way it can happen but unlikely anyone can tell you.

When TWC gives up and wants to schedule a truck roll, ask them to be connected to the TWC National Cable Card Support desk. If they won't do this just allow them to schedule it.

Then call TiVo support and after they go through their questions etc., ask them to connect you to the TWC NCCS desk. If they can, your problem will probably be solved in a few minutes. I've done this and it was late on a Thursday evening. (Then cancel the truck roll.)

Also see this post and monitor the TWC Tuning Adapter thread it is in.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:49 PM   #4517
mmcgown
Registered User
 
mmcgown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 120
Maybe there is a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by rassi View Post

A - Why does this keep happening?

B - Is there a way to resolve this issue without having to have a TW tech come out to the house???

We have a Cisco STA1520 TA....
In my case, the problem was low signal strength. The TA seems highly susceptible to signal strength issues. To fix my problem, TWC replaced the cable from the telephone pole to the house, and then tweaked an existing signal amplifier in the attic by disconnecting cable-runs to rooms which had no TV or internet service. After this was done and the signal was checked with a meter at the cable outlet feeding the TA, the level had gone up several (points or db or whatever unit is used), and I've not had much of a problem since.

Unfortunately, there are not a lot of tech guys at TWC who understand how the TA works, and they don't seem to think of this.
mmcgown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:23 AM   #4518
rassi
Registered User
 
rassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcgown View Post
In my case, the problem was low signal strength. The TA seems highly susceptible to signal strength issues. To fix my problem, TWC replaced the cable from the telephone pole to the house, and then tweaked an existing signal amplifier in the attic by disconnecting cable-runs to rooms which had no TV or internet service. After this was done and the signal was checked with a meter at the cable outlet feeding the TA, the level had gone up several (points or db or whatever unit is used), and I've not had much of a problem since.

Unfortunately, there are not a lot of tech guys at TWC who understand how the TA works, and they don't seem to think of this.
Not sure if this would apply in our case. We've essentially already had the house re-wired from the pole to every outlet in the home. When we moved in this summer, the cable was old and in horrible shape. In the course of 8 technician visits to get everything working (yes, it took 8 visits to get it all fixed) they rewired every segment from the pole to each room (2) where there is a cable outlet.
rassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #4519
JimWall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 78
I have had this problem several times. Each time I unplug and power off/on TA and also reboot TIVO which did not resolve problem.
Then I call TWC and it gets fixed on the phone without a truck roll.
The support person on the phone sends a hit to the TA. The TA seems to freeze and the hit causes some kind of reset that powering TA off and on does not do.
If hit doesn't work then unplug the power for 10 seconds and then plug it back in.
After serveral minutes you will get the acquiring channels screen and it is working. The last time the person on the phone was too impatient and I had to tell him to wait, after the hit, until I powered it off and on before doing a truck roll. Fortunately it started working fine.
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #4520
rassi
Registered User
 
rassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 99
Ok, I followed the link regarding different blink sequences for my TA, but was unable to accomplish anything on my own. So I called TW and requested someone who was knowledgable regarding TAs and HDTiVos. The rep stated they'd just had training on it, and asked me to wait so he could get his training materials.

When he returned we discussed the problem and he researched for a bit, then he told me he performed the following:

- Addressable
- Pair Host
- Refresh

He said these were sent to the cablecard.

This "reset" the TA and I now had a steady green light on the TA, instead of the constant blinking. However, looking in the TiVo status screens, it told me there was no TA connected. I did the USB disconnect and reconnect sequence, and that made the TiVo recognize it had a TA connected. It downloaded the channel lineup, and I was back in business.


rassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #4521
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,842
I also had a TWC local CSR fix my TA (without involving the national cable card help desk) two days ago, see **here** for details. In my case she did it instantly without consulting any docs. I suspect the national help desk got tired of being swamped by TA problems and inititated some training.

Please post your locations, if they aren't in your profile.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #4522
MustHaveTivo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sierra Madre CA
Posts: 48
Any Socal TA updates?

Anyone in former Adelphia portions of the LA area actually get a TA yet? If so, how?
MustHaveTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #4523
Traal
The Sane
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 80
I had my CableCard installed today (northern San Diego county near Rancho Bernardo). The phone rep I scheduled with could only guarantee a single-stream card (apparently the installers have multi-stream cards on hand anyway because they work better in TiVos than other cards), and never mentioned the tuning adapter which is practically mandatory yet scarce enough that the installers don't always have them on hand, so my installer had to phone in for one. Installation took an hour and a half, with one glitch that got resolved (the card didn't register on the first try). The installer (Israel) really knew his stuff.
Traal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #4524
bpr8064
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1
I am looking at buying a new TIVO HD DVR instead of my cable, but I want to know what type of cable service, if any, do I need to keep once I get the box and the 2 CABLECards. Can anyone help me with this? I was hoping that I could cancel my cable all together except for the CABLECard fees but I wanted to make sure before I dropped $300 on a new TIVO. I am in the Raleigh/Durham NC Area. Thanks.
bpr8064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #4525
rover1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Honolulu, HI, USA
Posts: 16
Tuning adapter and missing channels in Hawaii TWC

A couple of weeks ago TWC added 8 HD channels to the lineup....the next day they added 1 more and a couple of days later they added one more. The problem is that the original 8 adds will not tune for me at all. I get a plain gray screen. No Temp unavailable or any notices....just the gray screen. The channel added the next day works fine and the last add works just fine. I have called Oceanic and the very nice gentleman went through several steps (from the manual) about rebooting the Tivo and rebooting the TA---which I had already tried before I called. He checked a couple of things with the tech folks while I was on hold but nothing worked. I have a truck roll on 15DEC--the first available date since right after T-giving. I have sent email to TWC support and they have (slowly) been working on a fix. Today I get the notice that a new hit has been sent to both cable card and TA and for me to try the reboots again---still nothing. I told them that it is almost as if the TA is not aware that I am supposed to get those 8 channels. Any suggestions? I am off island for a week starting Sunday so that gives them a few days to maybe come up with a solution--short of the truck roll on the 15th. TIA for any help.
Bill
rover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #4526
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpr8064 View Post
I am looking at buying a new TIVO HD DVR instead of my cable, but I want to know what type of cable service, if any, do I need to keep once I get the box and the 2 CABLECards. Can anyone help me with this? I was hoping that I could cancel my cable all together except for the CABLECard fees but I wanted to make sure before I dropped $300 on a new TIVO. I am in the Raleigh/Durham NC Area. Thanks.
Without cable service, you can only receive signals by antenna -- is that what you want to do? The TiVo subscription service only provides Guide Data, not the actual video feeds, but you must subscribe or your TiVo will be a brick. The CableCARD is only necessary if you have digital cable service. Also, you should try to get one m-card instead of 2 s-cards.

See this sticky thread for good info on the THD.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:21 AM   #4527
iggygirl6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2
TWC in Maine

We subscribe to TWC in Maine. After we bought an HD TV, my husband and I purchased a TiVo HD as an upgrade to the TiVo we have, so that we could get HD channels through the TiVo. When I found out that we would need to get cablecards and a tuning adapter because SDV is being used in our area, I called TWC tech support to get some more information. When I asked the tech support person about using cablecards with the TiVo and the tuning adapter, I was informed that even with the tuning adapter, we would not be able to get a good portion of the HD channels available through TWC, such as Discovery HD, Science Channel HD, Syfy HD, etc., only the local HD channels.

Given this information, we sadly returned our TiVo HD and got the TWC DVR. I was informed by the person at the TWC office where I picked up the DVR, that it would be able to do all of the things that TiVo could do. WRONG! We cannot stand the TWC interface, and as you all probably know, we cannot do half of the things that we could do with TiVo. We loved our TiVo and we hate the TWC DVR.

I'm wondering if anyone else on here from Maine has dealt with this issue, and if there was a work-around so that we could use the TiVo and still get all of the HD channels? Should we get the cablecards and tuner and take our chances? For those of you in Maine that are using your TiVo with cablecards and the tuning adapter, what HD channels are you able to get? I thought that the tuning adapter was supposed to allow a TiVo with cablecards to pick up all of the channels in SDV, so I don't know why TWC says that with cablecards plus the tuning adapter, that we won't be able to receive certain HD channels.

I would greatly appreciate any help/advice/suggestions you can give me, so that we can go back to our TiVo and get rid of the TWC DVR, if that is possible, or are we stuck with the DVR until a TiVo with Tru2way technology is available? Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by iggygirl6 : 12-07-2009 at 08:26 AM.
iggygirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:45 AM   #4528
Grumock
Registered User
 
Grumock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nowhere close to reality
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggygirl6 View Post
We subscribe to TWC in Maine. After we bought an HD TV, my husband and I purchased a TiVo HD as an upgrade to the TiVo we have, so that we could get HD channels through the TiVo. When I found out that we would need to get cablecards and a tuning adapter because SDV is being used in our area, I called TWC tech support to get some more information. When I asked the tech support person about using cablecards with the TiVo and the tuning adapter, I was informed that even with the tuning adapter, we would not be able to get a good portion of the HD channels available through TWC, such as Discovery HD, Science Channel HD, Syfy HD, etc., only the local HD channels.

Given this information, we sadly returned our TiVo HD and got the TWC DVR. I was informed by the person at the TWC office where I picked up the DVR, that it would be able to do all of the things that TiVo could do. WRONG! We cannot stand the TWC interface, and as you all probably know, we cannot do half of the things that we could do with TiVo. We loved our TiVo and we hate the TWC DVR.

I'm wondering if anyone else on here from Maine has dealt with this issue, and if there was a work-around so that we could use the TiVo and still get all of the HD channels? Should we get the cablecards and tuner and take our chances? For those of you in Maine that are using your TiVo with cablecards and the tuning adapter, what HD channels are you able to get? I thought that the tuning adapter was supposed to allow a TiVo with cablecards to pick up all of the channels in SDV, so I don't know why TWC says that with cablecards plus the tuning adapter, that we won't be able to receive certain HD channels.

I would greatly appreciate any help/advice/suggestions you can give me, so that we can go back to our TiVo and get rid of the TWC DVR, if that is possible, or are we stuck with the DVR until a TiVo with Tru2way technology is available? Thanks in advance for your help.
Well I can tell you that the rep you talked to was dead wrong also about receiving those channels. As long as you have the tuning Adapter you will receive all the channels in the lineup other then On Demand or pay per view.
__________________
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Grumock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #4529
mmcgown
Registered User
 
mmcgown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 120
Bad info from TWC

Iggygirl6:

You were misinformed by TWC. This is a common problem: TWC personnel either haven't been trained properly or, perhaps, simply don't want to tell you the truth.

A TiVo HD equipped with a properly installed Tuning Adapter and either two cablecards or one M-card will receive all the HD channels TWC offers in your area.

Call them back and insist on getting the TA and card(s). An M-card is preferable to two cablecards but either will work. Insist politely on speaking with a supervisor, and then a higher supervisor, until you get to talk to someone who agrees with you that the correct installation will make your TiVo HD perform as you expect.

Even after the equipment is installed, expect occasional glitches--channels that won't tune in on the first try, but will work on a second attempt--but overall, this setup performs reasonably well.

I've had this setup for a year and, with the above limitation, my TiVoHD receives all the channels TWC broadcasts, except for On-Demand channels and pay-per-view stations. Be patient and persistent. TWC seems to discourage customers but if you are firm, you will get what you need.

Last edited by mmcgown : 12-07-2009 at 08:50 AM. Reason: added title
mmcgown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:25 AM   #4530
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
Well I can tell you that the rep you talked to was dead wrong also about receiving those channels. As long as you have the tuning Adapter you will receive all the channels in the lineup other then On Demand or pay per view.
Isn't TWC Maine using Motorola Tuning Adapters? Which points out that each TWC region can be different in the delivery system technology they use, since most TWC regions use Cisco TA's AFAIK.

Are the moto TA's actually available? At least they do seem to maintain a nation-wide consistency in the spotty knowledge of their CSRs.

One can only hope they will do better with the TA rollouts in Maine than they have in several other TWC regions. I wouldn't hold my breath on that.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |