Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-28-2006, 08:10 PM   #421
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by pntsoptional
Seriously though, I canít imagine the S3 will ever be the "mass market" product the S2 is. CC cards are just too finicky and you have to know more about the install process than the techs.
I'd disagree. The kinks will get worked out and I bet we'll eventually have a platform that allows for people not only get the two-way services like SDV but also VOD and interactive stuff. It will just a while for mass adoption.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:20 PM   #422
skanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial
I'd disagree. The kinks will get worked out and I bet we'll eventually have a platform that allows for people not only get the two-way services like SDV but also VOD and interactive stuff. It will just a while for mass adoption.
"It will just be a while" and "eventually" is fine, but I'd have to pay the 800 bucks now and then deal with all the issues...
skanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:28 PM   #423
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanter
"It will just be a while" and "eventually" is fine, but I'd have to pay the 800 bucks now and then deal with all the issues...
Well, I don't think the issues are THAT awful (I'll find out for sure next week). I was commenting on it becoming "mainstream". Remember, HDTV isn't quite "mainstream" yet. How many people have bought HDTVs and don't even have an HD source hooked up to it yet...
Old 09-28-2006, 08:45 PM   #424
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Well, I don't think the issues are THAT awful (I'll find out for sure next week). I was commenting on it becoming "mainstream". Remember, HDTV isn't quite "mainstream" yet. How many people have bought HDTVs and don't even have an HD source hooked up to it yet...
I have really had only one issue (audio dropouts) so far. Im very pleased with my S3 experience.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:06 PM   #425
alee

So I called TWCNYC again. They are still claiming all Manhattan CableCARD customers are out of service. They were supposed to have a resolution earlier tonight but they were unable to fix it. I pressed the CSR for more information, but she had no other information... just apologies. I asked for a credit for the day, which she ave me.

Anyone out there in NYC have a working S3 right now?
alee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:37 PM   #426
rhanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by alee
So I called TWCNYC again. They are still claiming all Manhattan CableCARD customers are out of service. They were supposed to have a resolution earlier tonight but they were unable to fix it. I pressed the CSR for more information, but she had no other information... just apologies. I asked for a credit for the day, which she ave me.

Anyone out there in NYC have a working S3 right now?
Here in Brooklyn my cable cards are working fine.

My install on Weds went very smoothly. The tech had installed cable cards in one other Tivo. Had a little trouble getting the second card started but fixed fairly quickly.

I was expecting more trouble. Every thing has been working fine since the install. The interesting one card still says 'Waiting CP Auth' but works fine.

Rich Hanson
Brooklyn
rhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:40 PM   #427
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!

Do you remember your tech's name, rhanson? or do you have his ID # on your service order receipt?
macsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:45 PM   #428
gavilon

10:45pm and still nothing. I'm disgusted!
gavilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:47 PM   #429
alee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavilon
10:45pm and still nothing. I'm disgusted!
Calling CSR isn't going to get us anywhere... what's the next step? Do we have someone higher up the chain to start complaining to?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:09 PM   #430
VoodooNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanson

My install on Weds went very smoothly. The tech had installed cable cards in one other Tivo. Had a little trouble getting the second card started but fixed fairly quickly.

I was expecting more trouble. Every thing has been working fine since the install. The interesting one card still says 'Waiting CP Auth' but works fine.

Rich Hanson
Brooklyn
Cripes! Is this the first report of a functioning cablecard in the greater NYC area in the past 48 or so hours?

Rich: More details please for those of us with upcoming installs. Especially your Brooklyn compatriots.

Alee, Gavilon and Macsamurai: The whole Manhattan is completely out thing, I just don't get it. But whatever you decide to do, count me in. I will make a lot of noise to make this work.
VoodooNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:13 PM   #431
VoodooNYC

Actually, I have the direct dial of a supervisor at TW that was left on my caller ID and was really helpful. I can start there.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:29 PM   #432
rhanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsamurai
Do you remember your tech's name, rhanson? or do you have his ID # on your service order receipt?

The service order says Tech # 3066. Can't read his name. He had a Jamaican (or something like that) accent. He had apparently installed many cable cards in TVs. He had installed cable cards in only one other Tivo before mine.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:39 PM   #433
rhanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooNYC
Cripes! Is this the first report of a functioning cablecard in the greater NYC area in the past 48 or so hours?

Rich: More details please for those of us with upcoming installs. Especially your Brooklyn compatriots.

Not a whole lot more to say. The tech showed up with two cards. He knew that the bottom slot was first when I thought it should be the top one. I didn't read the instructions too well. Obviously he was right.

He put the first card in, got the host id and keyed what ever he needed into his terminal. Then did the second card. He was surprised that each card had it own host id but took it in stride.

Because he didn't expect two host ids he didn't know which card ser # matched which host id, so we had to take the cards out to figure it out. Had problem here because the button to get the cards out didn't work. Did the old fashion way, carefully used a pair of pliers. No harm done.

After he matched the host ids to the cards, he called the office to make sure that they sent down the appropriate codes for both hostids. Had to wait about 10 minutes for the second card to activate.

That was it. As I stated before card #2 still says 'Waiting for CP Auth' even though works fine.

Have been recording fine ever since, even both tuners.

Not sure how I lucked out, I was expecting the worst.

Rich Hanson
Brooklyn (Park Slope)
Old 09-29-2006, 05:44 AM   #434
gavilon

Looks like I got my service back...finally. All channels seem to be working too.

Everybody in Manhattan, check yours now and thanks for your support.
gavilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:13 AM   #435
VoodooNYC

Quote:
Have been recording fine ever since, even both tuners.
There's hope for us yet. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:13 AM   #436
SCSIRAID

Quote:

Rich Hanson
Brooklyn
If the cablecard is in "waiting CP Auth" state then it isnt paired properly. It may be providing channel info to Tivo but it shouldnt decode any of the encrypted content. Suggest you go to "Test Channels" menu for that card and tune to encrypted channels like Discovery HD, InHD, HDNet, ESPNHD.... I bet that you will get a black screen. If not... your provider must be sending those unencrypted or the cablecard is broke in a 'good' way.... which is unlikely on both counts.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:13 AM   #437
alee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavilon
Looks like I got my service back...finally. All channels seem to be working too.

Everybody in Manhattan, check yours now and thanks for your support.
We're live again in Tribeca. Checked both tuners before I left for work, and no problems.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:39 AM   #438
Darthnice
umop ap!sdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaley42
Does this warrant a new thread? Sound off here if you're in Austin and working except for the premium HD channels.
I'm one!
I'm in Austin and have InHD, InHD2, HDNet and HDNet Movies all working. I don't subscribe to HBO/Showtime/Cinemax.

The tech told the CSR on the phone to "update the rates" whatever that means, and then they got authorized.
Darthnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:46 AM   #439
jeremyz
BillingInfoReceived

Great install yesterday w/ TWCNYC - cable guy's second Tivo install of the day. I was a little worried when he didn't follow the instructions, but he knew what he was doing, and after a little back-and-forth with the mothership about billing, the guy got me going with no problem.

Just fyi - it did take a couple of hours to get all the channels. Don't know why - figure it had something to do with slow authorizations.

Just called to get the HDXtra package, although customer service doesn't know whether it will work through the cards (I don't see why not). We'll find out later.
jeremyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:49 AM   #440
vpras

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpras
Time Warner (recently purchased Comcast and Adelphia in So Cal) refused my request for Cablecards today. I fought with the service rep and demanded to be connected to a supervisor. She reiterated what the rep said - then I started pushing. She said they "will not touch another piece of equipment except for their own" but that they will "install cablecards only in TV's". Of course this made no sense so I had her. She agreed to send out a tech to "see what they could do" at a cost of $50 PER HOUR!! This is most ridiculous and I will dispute the charge, Meanwhile they do not come until next Saturday so we'll see.

Interestingly if I had simply said I needed two cable cards installed in two TV's and left the word "TiVo" out of the conversation I sincerely believe that I would not have had an issue. Time Warner tried to sell me on their DVR twice during the call.

What a royal pain in the ass.
Before the TWC folks arrive tomorrow and fireworks begin, can anyone comment on the outrageous charge mentioned above. Said another way, what have folks on this board been charged for their "truck-roll"/install. Any/all input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
vpras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:52 AM   #441
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Before the TWC folks arrive tomorrow and fireworks begin, can anyone comment on the outrageous charge mentioned above. Said another way, what have folks on this board been charged for their "truck-roll"/install. Any/all input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I have two S3s that will be installed next week. Even though it is a new cable install, they still told me $43/device for the install (at least it wasn't per-card). So as long as they can get your instlal done in less than 51.6 minutes, you'll get off cheaper than I will for the first box...
Old 09-29-2006, 11:56 AM   #442
SoBayJake

Quote:
I am former Comcast in Los Angeles. I was told the "usual" install fee was $28 (not per card), and they had no problems with it being a TiVo.

The CSR seemed to know exactly what it was, and all. The work order listed the two cards, but the install guy (seems a nice guy, altho a little nervous putting them in something other than a TV) claimed the work order only indicated one. Luckily, he had more cards in the truck.

Nonunsed Series 2s
Series 3 - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
TiVo HD - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
Premiere XL (lifetime)
Verizon FiOS with CableCARDs
SoBayJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:26 PM   #443
SCSIRAID

Quote:
I have two S3s that will be installed next week. Even though it is a new cable install, they still told me $43/device for the install (at least it wasn't per-card). So as long as they can get your instlal done in less than 51.6 minutes, you'll get off cheaper than I will for the first box...
Be prepared for a 4 * $43 charge as I would be willing to bet that that is what you are gonna get. They are probably still stuck in the 1 cablecard per device mentality. Hopefully they show up with 4 (or more) cablecards. I hope it works out for ya but be prepared....
Old 09-29-2006, 12:32 PM   #444
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID
Be prepared for a 4 * $43 charge as I would be willing to bet that that is what you are gonna get. They are probably still stuck in the 1 cablecard per device mentality. Hopefully they show up with 4 (or more) cablecards. I hope it works out for ya but be prepared....

The lady on the phone knew of the S3 and knew it needed two cards so I'm hoping for the best (even some TVs I've seen say they take two cards now, for PIP/POP I presume).
Old 09-29-2006, 01:02 PM   #445
SCSIRAID

Quote:
The lady on the phone knew of the S3 and knew it needed two cards so I'm hoping for the best (even some TVs I've seen say they take two cards now, for PIP/POP I presume).
Really? I hadnt heard of a two cablecard TV but it does make sense.

Ive got my fingers crossed for ya... let us know how it works out.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:56 PM   #446
FireflyFan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt
Everything ended up great yesterday when we were all done. Even with the issues throughout the day, I ended the day with two working CableCard's and all channels.

Here's what I can say for those who aren't getting all the channels (I wasn't getting DiscoveryHD, TNT, HBO's or a bunch of other channels). When my first cablecard didn't work, the tech called the head end (for those that don't know what a head end is, it's where the cable provider's termination equipment is) directly and had them "run an update script". Within minutes, all my channels were there. The second Cablecard got installed and the same channels were missing. Once again, a call to the head end and a "run of the update script" solved the issue. I now get all channels on both cards. I don't know if this will help.

I asked them to tell me specifically what the head end here in the Albany NY area did to provision the cards correctly and they couldn't, or wouldn't, tell me. All I can say is that if your tech has problems, the number here in Albany for customer facing customer service is 518.869.5500. Perhaps if your local tech explains who they are and asks to speak to field service or the head end they may be able to get through...

With the way the techs were talking about "the impending discontinuation of cablecards within Time Warner" I am concerned, but the FCC does mandate their existence. I just wonder what has to be specifically supported on them - all normal programming? Or just a basic set of channels? I swear everyone I spoke to at Time Warner acted as if Cablecards were going away within days. I had to explain the FCC mandate for them to realize why they existed.
Success in Latham NY (Albanyarea)! The tech checked my levels (good), then called the "head end." A few minute later. Presto! All my channels are working.
FireflyFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 02:44 PM   #447
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!

Another day in Brooklyn, NY...

I had a real live "code man" call me from the main office this morning and we spent about 45 minutes verifying the serial numbers and host IDs, device compatibility tables, etc, as well as checking all the account codes on my account that dictate what packages I have, channels I should be receiving, etc. The public affairs rep who is shepherding my case called me shortly after to see if we made any progress. Sadly we didn't. She is arranging for a field foreman who has been on the job for 10+ years and is already familiar with my specific case to pay me a visit tomorrow and we're going to try replacing the CableCards again.

Fingers crossed, but hard not to be discouraged after 2 weeks of no progress. I will give kudos to the TWCNYC Public Affairs department for keeping me well informed, and calling me back when they say they will as opposed to the complete lack of cooperation and information I was getting from the plain old customer service supervisors.
macsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 02:47 PM   #448
spsmyk

Arghhhh

So after watching this thread grow, I figured I would call before I ordered my S3 to ensure that I understood Binghamton TW policy. Called last week, got a rep that said "Sure you can pick them up at the office - come down when convenient". Placed my order at cc on Tuesday night, cleared with my wife that I would spend Saturday reworking the Entertainment system and she and my daughter should clear out for the afternoon. Had it sent two day so I could beat the weekend as the next three weekends we are out of town...

In a bit of a panic yesterday thinking TW would find a way to mess up my precisely planned project, so I called back and was informed that of course I could do the install myself - "Come on down and pick them up at your convenience".

Walked in today at lunch (to an insane line) and waited for 35 minutes. I'll give you one guess as to the response I got:

"I'm sorry. We have to roll a truck and do the install. We can be there between 12 and 5 next Friday".

My best laid plans again thwarted by TWC.
spsmyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 02:49 PM   #449
VoodooNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsamurai
The public affairs rep who is shepherding my case called me shortly after to see if we made any progress. Sadly we didn't.
REALLY sorry to hear that as I am scheduled for another cablecard install attempt tomorrow. Hang in there, we will not be defeated.

And I very much agree that, although not in public affairs, the supervisors from TWCNY that I have been dealing with over the past week have been great and very responsive. The CSRs will get you nowhere. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:00 PM   #450
szohn

Big Grin

It seems I'm the first TW customer in the Akron/Canton ohio area to have a tivo install. And it went pretty well.

When I first called for the appt, they had already gotten a memo that the S3 exisited and would support them. The Tech arrived at 10:00 for a 10-Noon appointment. Followed by 3 other trucks and 4 techs, it seems they all wanted to see how the install would go and learn how to do it. I was happy to oblige.

First card required firmware upgrade and 2 calls to the office to have the emm's sent.
Second card was DOA
Third card required firmware upgrade and 1 call.

All my channels worked.

Hats off to TW Akron/Canton:
They had a company wide memo about supporting tivo
The primary tech researched the product before arrival, brought extra cards and was told to not to schedule anything else after so any issues could be addressed.
Sent additional techs so they could learn the process for future installs.

Overall they created a very satisfied customer.

(oh and after a brief demo of the tivo interface and features one tech said he was going to buy one too)
szohn is offline   Reply With Quote