Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #4441
tydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
This is a Motorola M-Card, right?

Did you compare this to support.tivo.com/euf/assets/files/Moto_MCARD_Activ_auth.pdf, the corresponding TiVo documentation page?

What I get from this is the card is initialized but either the channel is not authorized for your account or something else is very wrong, since a lot of info is just missing. I would start with TiVo and try to get the NCCS group involved as I suggested earlier.
Yes m card. I only see half that screen.

I am not getting much help from Time Warner. I called NCCS this evening we went through a couple of screens and we discovered that the HostID they had for my account did not match the card's in my receiver.

However I would have to contact local support to make the change to my account. I called local support and they told me that the HostID is correct.

Another dead end (after 60 minutes on the phone)
tydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:54 AM   #4442
kerobec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
So I see from this link: http://www.timewarnercable.com/SoCal...v/default.html

that you are to go to a local office after you get some letter in the mail notifying you?
Yes, I was sent to that link after my first phone call with tech support. She told me I could sign up on that link to have a tuning adapter sent to me, but as you see, there's nowhere to sign up. The letter I received lists no local offices, and just says to call TWC for more info, and ostensibly, to find out where to pick up a box. As I said, when I went to the local office, the woman there told me that they aren't allowed to hand out tuning adapters over the counter.

I got this same runaround when I originally went after the cablecards, so it's not surprising to me at all. Someone, somewhere at TWC sends out this letter, but they haven't brought anyone else up to speed with the rollout, or what equipment will be needed. The CSR at the local office today was very nice, and dug around on her computer for quite a while, trying to find better info, but finally just decided I needed to get my cablecards paired, and gave me a number to call for that, but, y'know, since my TiVo works fine, they're clearly already paired, so I haven't called. She just didn't understand the technology, which is kinda harsh. Her company should have brought her up to speed BEFORE they sent out the letters.

Tomorrow, I'll call to make an appointment to have a tech come out, which I assume will take several weeks, since it took them around 3 weeks to come out and install the cablecards. It just seems like a shame, since the tuning adapter is supposed to be so easy to install. It's a waste of time for them, I mean. Like I said, I'm unemployed, and sitting around here anyway.
kerobec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:22 AM   #4443
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydurden View Post
Yes m card. I only see half that screen.

I am not getting much help from Time Warner. I called NCCS this evening we went through a couple of screens and we discovered that the HostID they had for my account did not match the card's in my receiver.

However I would have to contact local support to make the change to my account. I called local support and they told me that the HostID is correct.

Another dead end (after 60 minutes on the phone)
Call TiVo support. They should mediate this. They can get NCCS, you and themselves all on the phone at the same time -- that's what they did for me.

Are your TiVo's on warranty? If they can't get you beyond this point, they should do something for you.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #4444
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerobec View Post
Yes, I was sent to that link after my first phone call with tech support. She told me I could sign up on that link to have a tuning adapter sent to me, but as you see, there's nowhere to sign up. The letter I received lists no local offices, and just says to call TWC for more info, and ostensibly, to find out where to pick up a box. As I said, when I went to the local office, the woman there told me that they aren't allowed to hand out tuning adapters over the counter.

I got this same runaround when I originally went after the cablecards, so it's not surprising to me at all. Someone, somewhere at TWC sends out this letter, but they haven't brought anyone else up to speed with the rollout, or what equipment will be needed. The CSR at the local office today was very nice, and dug around on her computer for quite a while, trying to find better info, but finally just decided I needed to get my cablecards paired, and gave me a number to call for that, but, y'know, since my TiVo works fine, they're clearly already paired, so I haven't called. She just didn't understand the technology, which is kinda harsh. Her company should have brought her up to speed BEFORE they sent out the letters.

Tomorrow, I'll call to make an appointment to have a tech come out, which I assume will take several weeks, since it took them around 3 weeks to come out and install the cablecards. It just seems like a shame, since the tuning adapter is supposed to be so easy to install. It's a waste of time for them, I mean. Like I said, I'm unemployed, and sitting around here anyway.
Wow sorry. that is bad. The site i had to sign up actually worked for me & I did not get a letter. Are they Just rolling out SDV in your area?
Old 11-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #4445
MustHaveTivo

Quote:

This is just about what I expected. The good news is I am employed, the bad news is taking off work to wait around for a tech. Let's see if they actually show up with a TA in hand on the first try. Thanks for enduring the incompetence and reporting back.
MustHaveTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #4446
julianneff

I live in Ventura County and just got the same letter regarding the Tuning Adapter. Does anybody know if and what they will be charging us for this Tuning Adapter, if we can actually get one?

I'm about ready to give up on cable anyways and just use the Netflix streaming on my TiVo. Now that baseball season is over, that's what we watch for the most part anyways.
julianneff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #4447
squiddohio

I do not believe any provider charges for the tuning adapter.
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #4448
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianneff View Post
I live in Ventura County and just got the same letter regarding the Tuning Adapter. Does anybody know if and what they will be charging us for this Tuning Adapter, if we can actually get one?

I'm about ready to give up on cable anyways and just use the Netflix streaming on my TiVo. Now that baseball season is over, that's what we watch for the most part anyways.
I've never heard of a case of charging for a TA, but on the other hand, AFAIK there is no "governing authority" that says a TA has to be provided or limits the terms under which it is provided.

Stopping cable is your only effective weapon, and it isn't very effective because only about 0.5% of digital subscribers are TiVo users.

But as I frequently say:

Living well, err... switching providers, is the best revenge!

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:31 AM   #4449
SCSIRAID

Quote:
I've never heard of a case of charging for a TA, but on the other hand, AFAIK there is no "governing authority" that says a TA has to be provided or limits the terms under which it is provided.

Stopping cable is your only effective weapon, and it isn't very effective because only about 0.5% of digital subscribers are TiVo users.

But as I frequently say:

Living well, err... switching providers, is the best revenge!
I seem to remember some comments about Brighthouse charging some folks for TA's.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:06 PM   #4450
kerobec

The CSR I spoke to said there wouldn't be any charge for tuning adapters for the first year. I figure they'll probably just raise the rates for the cablecards again in order to cover the cost.

As for rolling out SDV, I think the letter says Dec. 8, so yes, they're just rolling it out here in LA. I don't know if there are portions of LA that already have it.

ETA: I just called to try and schedule my appointment, and was ASSURED by the CSR I got this time that while my area IS getting SDV, I am not affected, and require no additional equipment. He said he took my file to his tech people (I was on hold for nearly 20 minutes, so it's possible), and 4 different people confirmed that I won't need any tuning adapter or anything else in order to receive the new channels. I don't understand at all how this is possible, but ok. I'll wait until something happens, and then complain.

Last edited by kerobec : 11-10-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:28 AM   #4451
trailmix

Quote:
The CSR I spoke to said there wouldn't be any charge for tuning adapters for the first year. I figure they'll probably just raise the rates for the cablecards again in order to cover the cost.

As for rolling out SDV, I think the letter says Dec. 8, so yes, they're just rolling it out here in LA. I don't know if there are portions of LA that already have it.

ETA: I just called to try and schedule my appointment, and was ASSURED by the CSR I got this time that while my area IS getting SDV, I am not affected, and require no additional equipment. He said he took my file to his tech people (I was on hold for nearly 20 minutes, so it's possible), and 4 different people confirmed that I won't need any tuning adapter or anything else in order to receive the new channels. I don't understand at all how this is possible, but ok. I'll wait until something happens, and then complain.
The TWC Los Angeles people on the phone told me I didn't need a tuning adapter either. TiVo customer support says I DEFINITELY need a tuning adapter. I believe TiVo. I have a TiVo HD. TiVo said if I had an older TiVo that worked in conjunction with a Time Warner cable box I would be fine, but with TiVo HD with cablecard I need a tuning adapter. I'm going to go to the local office tomorrow with a printout of the previously referenced TWC SDV website, as well as the 7 page TiVo SDV Support article where it clearly explains that I need a tuning adapter. [link edited due to not enough posts]
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...lkLzhhQmxoVkJq

Looks like you have a Tivo HD based on your earlier posts, so you are in the same boat as me. I would go back to your local office armed with this new information and the printouts. Also, you can call the TiVo customer support 877-367-8486 and have them talk to the TWC moron which may help (either 3 way calling on the phone or if you are at the TWC office hand them the phone)

On the bright side, I don't watch the crappy channels that are going to SDV so if this doesn't get resolved before 12/8 it won't be a big deal, but still annoying. I wish these damn tuning adapters were available on ebay or at radio shack.

Might be good to print this link also:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/133

You should also point out to them in the letter how it specifies it must be "two-way capable" which Tivo HD is NOT (even with a cablecard.. only with a tuning adapter). The TiVO HD is UDCP (unidirectional digital cable product) and will NOT work without a tuning adapter.

Another informational page
http://www.gizmolovers.com/tag/udcp/

OK I just talked to the guy on the phone and he setup an appointment for the technician to deliver my tuning adapter this weekend (the usual 4 hour window appointment) [So that is good news - I know you were worried it would take several weeks to get a technician to come out.. probably depends on demand in your area though]. They don't mail them unfortunately. I figure if I am lucky enough to get a tuning adapter from the TWC store tomorrow then I will just call back and cancel this appointment (which the guy on the phone said was totally fine). He also said I can check multiple stores for the tuning adapter (it is not necessary to go to my local store). You just have to be VERY CLEAR on the phone that you NEED a tuning adapter. I think I just said "My TiVo HD is UNIDIRECTIONAL DIGITAL CABLE PRODUCT (UDCP) and will not work without a tuning adapter".

Hope this helps

Last edited by trailmix : 11-11-2009 at 09:08 PM.
trailmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:45 AM   #4452
trailmix

Quote:
Yep, I called TW and was told I'd have to get a tuning adapter. I pointed out that the letter says NOTHING specific about this, just alludes to it, and the woman didn't say anything, but she was very surprised this was the first I was hearing about this, because she says they've been sending out notices quite a bit. Whatever. Anyway, I was told I could pick up an adapter in Santa Clarita, or order on one that TWC link, but when I go to that page, there's nowhere to sign up for anything. Just a description of a tuning adapter.

ETA: my first call was to tech support, who did know exactly what I was talking about. My second call was to a general CSR, who had no idea what a tuning adapter was. He did, however, give me a MUCH closer office to go and pick up a tuning adapter at. I tried to get a direct number out of him so I could call and ask if they actually have them, but he wouldn't give me one. So, I'll go over there and try.
Why did the CSR tell you Santa Clarita? Is it possible they knew that location had tuning adapters in stock?
Old 11-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #4453
trailmix

OK I answered my own question. After going to two locations I was told that Santa Clarita had the tuning adapters. I picked one up from there. They gave me a Cisco tuning adapter although I have a Motorola cable card (they said they didn't have the Motorola tuning adapter). I read that usually they match companies but it shouldn't matter. They also informed me that the phone CSR had setup the weekend appointment for a $19.95 installation of a new HD DVR (completely wrong, no tuning adapter), so I canceled that immediately. I'm glad I didn't wait for that appointment. The tuning adapter is blinking green - it needs TWC authorization over the phone, but it's not clear if they'll be able to authorize it right now or not until closer to December 8, because Santa Clarita said the "codes" were not in the system yet. But I've plugged it in and attached the USB/Coax cables and all the channels work fine for now.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #4454
kevin120

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
OK I answered my own question. After going to two locations I was told that Santa Clarita had the tuning adapters. I picked one up from there. They gave me a Cisco tuning adapter although I have a Motorola cable card (they said they didn't have the Motorola tuning adapter). I read that usually they match companies but it shouldn't matter. They also informed me that the phone CSR had setup the weekend appointment for a $19.95 installation of a new HD DVR (completely wrong, no tuning adapter), so I canceled that immediately. I'm glad I didn't wait for that appointment. The tuning adapter is blinking green - it needs TWC authorization over the phone, but it's not clear if they'll be able to authorize it right now or not until closer to December 8, because Santa Clarita said the "codes" were not in the system yet.
the cisco tuning adapter will not work on a motorola cable system you need the motorola one.
kevin120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:43 PM   #4455
derekcbart

I am in Los Angeles and received the SDV 12/08/2009 letter. I called the phone number and was told to go to a local TWC office to pick up a Tuning Adapter. I went there today and they said that they didn't have them, so they scheduled a Tech to come on Friday morning.

I printed out the TiVo instructions listed earlier. Thanks for posting those.

Here's hoping that everything goes okay on Friday.

derekcbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #4456
trailmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekcbart View Post
I am in Los Angeles and received the SDV 12/08/2009 letter. I called the phone number and was told to go to a local TWC office to pick up a Tuning Adapter. I went there today and they said that they didn't have them, so they scheduled a Tech to come on Friday morning.

I would call back and talk to a different technician and verify that the installation on Friday will be free and will include a tuning adapter (not an HD DVR). If you look at my latest post you'll see they were going to charge me $19.95 for an HD DVR installation (the phone CSR clearly didn't know what a tuning adapter was)
Old 11-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #4457
kerobec

Interesting. I will say that the very first time I called, I spoke to a woman in tech support, and she knew exactly what I was talking about, and was the one that sent me to Santa Clarita, so perhaps I'll call back tomorrow, and just go directly to tech support instead of a CSR.

Thanks for all the info! I'm very curious to see what happens when I call tomorrow. Hmm, I don't know off the top of my head what brand my cards are. I'll have to take a look.

Oh, also, a few hours after I got off the phone last night, when I turned on the TV with the HD TiVo, I had a new message saying that I had all these new channels, so I suspect they may have done a test while I was on the phone with them. Of course, I don't actually have those channels yet, but it did knock some of my current channels out for a little while, which was very annoying. They did come back eventually, so that's good. But I wonder if the channels I lost for a bit will be part of the SDV system, too.

ETA: ok, just got off the phone with Tech Support. Now I'm being told that my area is being "upgraded," but is NOT moving to SDV, so that's why I don't need the tuning adapter. Supposedly, I'll be getting all the new channels, and will have no problems. She said different areas of LA will be going to SDV, but not mine. We're just being upgraded. Ok, TWC. FWIW, the woman this time again knew exactly what I was talking about, and totally agreed that cablecards need a tuning adapter, and then went to ask how to get me one. When she came back, this is what she told me. So, she wasn't clueless at all.

Last edited by kerobec : 11-11-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:46 PM   #4458
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekcbart View Post

What instructions are you referring to?

I have not yet installed my Tuning Adapter on my TiVo-3 unit.
Instructions would be very much appreciated.

Please post how well your TA install is.

Thanks, CB

Last edited by abredt : 11-11-2009 at 08:56 PM.
abredt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:05 PM   #4459
trailmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin120 View Post
the cisco tuning adapter will not work on a motorola cable system you need the motorola one.
I spoke with both TiVo customer support and Time Warner Cable customer support and they have assured me that it doesn't matter. If you have a source/link for your claim that would be appreciated. I guess I'll find out for sure on December 8. In the meantime, Time Warner Cable was able to activate my tuning adapter over the phone, so it is a solid green light now.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #4460
trailmix

Quote:
Interesting. I will say that the very first time I called, I spoke to a woman in tech support, and she knew exactly what I was talking about, and was the one that sent me to Santa Clarita, so perhaps I'll call back tomorrow, and just go directly to tech support instead of a CSR.

Thanks for all the info! I'm very curious to see what happens when I call tomorrow. Hmm, I don't know off the top of my head what brand my cards are. I'll have to take a look.

Oh, also, a few hours after I got off the phone last night, when I turned on the TV with the HD TiVo, I had a new message saying that I had all these new channels, so I suspect they may have done a test while I was on the phone with them. Of course, I don't actually have those channels yet, but it did knock some of my current channels out for a little while, which was very annoying. They did come back eventually, so that's good. But I wonder if the channels I lost for a bit will be part of the SDV system, too.

ETA: ok, just got off the phone with Tech Support. Now I'm being told that my area is being "upgraded," but is NOT moving to SDV, so that's why I don't need the tuning adapter. Supposedly, I'll be getting all the new channels, and will have no problems. She said different areas of LA will be going to SDV, but not mine. We're just being upgraded. Ok, TWC. FWIW, the woman this time again knew exactly what I was talking about, and totally agreed that cablecards need a tuning adapter, and then went to ask how to get me one. When she came back, this is what she told me. So, she wasn't clueless at all.
I understand, but I think she was mistaken. I guess we'll all know for sure on December 8, when we find out if we can still get that critical channel .. SHOP NBC!
Old 11-11-2009, 09:09 PM   #4461
trailmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by abredt View Post
What instructions are you referring to?

I have not yet installed my Tuning Adapter on my TiVo-3 unit.
Instructions would be very much appreciated.

Please post how well your TA install is.

Thanks, CB
I think they were referring to this post
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...04#post7602704

Read my other recent posts on this page for more details
Old 11-11-2009, 09:14 PM   #4462
kerobec

Quote:
I understand, but I think she was mistaken. I guess we'll all know for sure on December 8, when we find out if we can still get that critical channel .. SHOP NBC!
Well, I just turned on the TV, and I have a TON more HD channels right now, coming through without any tuning adapter, so maybe it's the truth? I forgot to check for that one specific channel they mentioned in the letter, but hey, AMC HD three days after the season finale of Mad Men. Better late than never, right?

I guess the message last night on the TiVo wasn't a test, but I didn't have them then, so that's just odd. But they're there now, and I hope they stay.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:20 PM   #4463
trailmix

Quote:
Well, I just turned on the TV, and I have a TON more HD channels right now, coming through without any tuning adapter, so maybe it's the truth? I forgot to check for that one specific channel they mentioned in the letter, but hey, AMC HD three days after the season finale of Mad Men. Better late than never, right?

I guess the message last night on the TiVo wasn't a test, but I didn't have them then, so that's just odd. But they're there now, and I hope they stay.
What channel number is AMC HD? I don't see it in my list.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:49 PM   #4464
kerobec

I have it on 479.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:16 PM   #4465
tydurden

Quote:
Call TiVo support. They should mediate this. They can get NCCS, you and themselves all on the phone at the same time -- that's what they did for me.

Are your TiVo's on warranty? If they can't get you beyond this point, they should do something for you.
I'll try that.

Yes it's under "warranty". I RMA'd my last one and that's how I got into this mess.

Thanks
tydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:46 PM   #4466
kevin120

Quote:
I spoke with both TiVo customer support and Time Warner Cable customer support and they have assured me that it doesn't matter. If you have a source/link for your claim that would be appreciated. I guess I'll find out for sure on December 8. In the meantime, Time Warner Cable was able to activate my tuning adapter over the phone, so it is a solid green light now.
yes it does matter it only works with Power key encryption , not the mediacypher that motorola uses.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/307

. The only reason it has a green light is that it is in their system. does your tivo detect a tuning adapter? Probrably not. also the Cisco box has a different data channel than the motorola.

Last edited by kevin120 : 11-11-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:52 PM   #4467
trailmix

Quote:
yes it does matter it only works with Power key encryption , not the mediacypher that motorola uses.

I dont need a link. The only reason it has a green light is that it is in their system. does your tivo detect a tuning adapter? Probrably not. also the Cisco box has a different data channel than the motorola.
Yes, my TiVo detects a tuning adapter. How do you suggest I get a Motorola tuning adapter?
Old 11-11-2009, 11:35 PM   #4468
kevin120

Quote:
Yes, my TiVo detects a tuning adapter. How do you suggest I get a Motorola tuning adapter?
wait till they get them in.

also can you see if the tuning adapter is registering channels
Old 11-11-2009, 11:46 PM   #4469
trailmix

Quote:
wait till they get them in.

also can you see if the tuning adapter is registering channels
I am able to access every channel with the tuning adapter hooked up. However, under "Tuning Adapter" when I try to "Test Channels using CableCARD 1" it says "No channels available" - although TWC and TiVo both say that is because the SDV is not active until December 8 here.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #4470
derekcbart

Okay, the technician was just here and I have some new information.

I do not need a Tuning Adapter in my neighborhood. Yet.

The former Adelphia customers' equipment cannot receive all of the current TWC channels, so they are getting upgraded to SDV first. After the former Adelphia people are upgraded they will upgrade every other customer to SDV. For me that means that I will get upgraded to SDV at some point in 2010.

Corporate TWC has no idea who is a traditional TWC customer or a former Adelphia customer so they sent the letter out to everyone. This is what is causing all of the confusion. The techs are aware of the problem and they are not happy about Corporate TWC sending the letter out to everyone.

In 2010 every TWC customer will be upgraded to SDV, but only former Adelphia customers are getting switched over in December 2009.

I hope this helps.

derekcbart is offline   Reply With Quote