TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-02-2009, 08:31 AM   #4411
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I was talking to a TWC rep last night and he noticed I was paying "full price" for my service and volunteered to put me on a "campaign" that would save me a few dollars. After a short delay he informed me that CableCARD customers are not eligible for the "campaign". I'm not surprised...

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:12 AM   #4412
pgreene8

Time Warner's different pricing for CableCard customers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I was talking to a TWC rep last night and he noticed I was paying "full price" for my service and volunteered to put me on a "campaign" that would save me a few dollars. After a short delay he informed me that CableCARD customers are not eligible for the "campaign". I'm not surprised...
Glad you brought this up. TWC seems to discriminate against CableCard customers with their pricing. Last February I switched to a new, cheaper package that was offered, but I could only qualify for the package by paying an additional $8.95 for a set top box that I don't use. On top of that there is a fee for the remote I don't use, plus the rental of the cable card as well as a "Duplication" fee because the card is considered somehow a second TV, or some other logic that makes no sense to me. I wrote a complaint to the Dept of Consumer Affairs which said it was not in their jurisdiction and should be submitted to the Public Service Commission.
TiVo S4 Premiere with M2 cable card
pgreene8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:26 AM   #4413
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene8 View Post
Glad you brought this up. TWC seems to discriminate against CableCard customers with their pricing. Last February I switched to a new, cheaper package that was offered, but I could only qualify for the package by paying an additional $8.95 for a set top box that I don't use. On top of that there is a fee for the remote I don't use, plus the rental of the cable card as well as a "Duplication" fee because the card is considered somehow a second TV, or some other logic that makes no sense to me. I wrote a complaint to the Dept of Consumer Affairs which said it was not in their jurisdiction and should be submitted to the Public Service Commission.
Large organizations (private or government) tend to have very poor customer interfaces. There should be one contact point which can direct your issue wherever it needs to go. Instead you have to guess which part of them is the right place. TWC is this way too. Don't bother with their email or chat features unless your question is ultra simple -- they will waste your time then tell you to call some telephone number.

and
Old 11-05-2009, 04:33 AM   #4414
rv65

The Ex Adelphia part of San Diego is getting SDV this month. This is the Motorola area which is in a northern part of San Diego. The more southern parts of San Diego use SA and Samsung boxes. I guess they'll start handing out Motorola TA's unless the Cisco one works with the Moto network.
rv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #4415
spepin

TWC, Inland Empire, So. Cal.

I'm in the Chino Hills area of San Bernardino County in So Cal. Last month, I upgraded my S2 to an HD. When it arrived, I went online to chat with a TWC CSR who told me that they don't offer M-cards and that I would need 2 S-cards. I asked about the price and she quoted me $2.75 each. She even had me hold while she confirmed it with someone. I later recapped the session and she once again confirmed $2.75 ea for a total of $5.50. When I got my bill, I was being chaged $4.75 ea. I called a CSR who told me that I was being billed incorrectly -- that the first card should be $2.75 and the second $4.75. I mentioned the chat transcript that I had quoting me $2.75 ea. He said I'd have to go into my local office with the transcript to resolve that. When I did this, I learned that he had not corrected the billing error, and furthermore, they refused to honor the quote, saying it was wrong and there's no way to change the price in the system. She says since I have other boxes on my account, one of them is the primary and that precludes the discounted pricing.

Is there anybody else here from the same area who can confirm this pricing scheme? Also, anybody in the area who has an M-card installed? I'm beginning to think that they just don't know what a multistream card is. If you do have an M-card, is it priced as a single card, or as two cards?
spepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #4416
m_jonis

I'm sure they know what one is, but just refuse to provide one because they can make more money with 2 S-cards. Our local TW Albany office STILL tells people they don't have M-cards. You have to "know" someone at the TW Albany office, contact them directly AFTER you schedule your appointment, and then they'll give you an M-card. Amazing. Although not too surprising, IMO, given Time Warners track record.
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #4417
Mad Chemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spepin View Post
Is there anybody else here from the same area who can confirm this pricing scheme? Also, anybody in the area who has an M-card installed? I'm beginning to think that they just don't know what a multistream card is. If you do have an M-card, is it priced as a single card, or as two cards?
I'm with TWC in Chino Hills and have a one M-card in my TiVo HD. Nothing in the second slot. I am being charged $2.75 per month.
Mad Chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:06 PM   #4418
kerobec

I just got an interesting letter from TWC here in LA announcing the rollout of a bunch more HD channels, as well as an increase in speed for their online service. It then goes on to say that one channel, KWHY, will only be available with digital equipment, and it will only be "viewable in a digital format that can be viewed using two-way capable Digital Cable equipment."

Seriously, could that be written to be more PURPOSEFULLY confusing? Anyway, does this mean they're only rolling one channel out on SDV? That can't be right. How can they screw me over if they only move one channel to SDV?

Has anyone else received a letter like this? The letter only makes one fleeting reference to a tuning adapter, and doesn't mention whether or not I'll be given the option to rent one from them. FWIW, I don't really need channel KWHY, so I'm not terribly concerned, but if this is the beginning of the end, well, then, I'd like a little more info.
kerobec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:16 PM   #4419
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Same exact boat here, kerobec. Same letter, same channel, same confusion, same thoughts.

Last edited by Fofer : 11-08-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:49 AM   #4420
spepin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Chemist View Post
I'm with TWC in Chino Hills and have a one M-card in my TiVo HD. Nothing in the second slot. I am being charged $2.75 per month.
Interesting... Is your M-card considered your primary device? Do you have another cable box on your account that has the discounted primary device service? They told me that my cards don't qualify for the discounted price because I already have a primary device on my account. Looks like I have some calling to do... I thought they just didn't know what they were talking about when they said no M-cards... Guess I was right...
spepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #4421
MustHaveTivo

Question LA area confusing letter

I got what must be a similar letter in the San Gabriel valley. Agree that the letter is nearly incomprehensible. I seem to have more channels involved. It says "Starting on December 8th, 2009, digital equipment will be needed to continue viewing channels KWHY, Shop NBC, AMC, The Weather Channel, ABC Family, Oxygen, TruTV, and Style." I thought, well no problem, I've got digital equipment.

Then it says "These channels will remain in the existing package, however they will continue to be viewable in a digital format that can be viewed using two-way capable Digital Cable equipment, such as a Digital Cable Set-top Box or a CableCARD-equipped TIVO or Digeo HD DVR used in conjunction with a Tuning Adapter. If you have other CableCARD-equipped Unidirectional Digital Cable Products (UDCPs), you may not be able to access these channels on those devices without additional equipment, such as a Digital Cable Set-top Box. Additional Digital Boxes are available and can be mailed to you."

Can anyone interpret what I have to do to continue to get the weather channel? Call and ask for a tuning adapter? I sure am not going to call and ask for a Digital Cable Set-top Box (nice try). TWC has never said word one to us about a TA.

Any help appreciated.
MustHaveTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #4422
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustHaveTivo View Post
I got what must be a similar letter in the San Gabriel valley. Agree that the letter is nearly incomprehensible. I seem to have more channels involved. It says "Starting on December 8th, 2009, digital equipment will be needed to continue viewing channels KWHY, Shop NBC, AMC, The Weather Channel, ABC Family, Oxygen, TruTV, and Style." I thought, well no problem, I've got digital equipment.

Then it says "These channels will remain in the existing package, however they will continue to be viewable in a digital format that can be viewed using two-way capable Digital Cable equipment, such as a Digital Cable Set-top Box or a CableCARD-equipped TIVO or Digeo HD DVR used in conjunction with a Tuning Adapter. If you have other CableCARD-equipped Unidirectional Digital Cable Products (UDCPs), you may not be able to access these channels on those devices without additional equipment, such as a Digital Cable Set-top Box. Additional Digital Boxes are available and can be mailed to you."

Can anyone interpret what I have to do to continue to get the weather channel? Call and ask for a tuning adapter? I sure am not going to call and ask for a Digital Cable Set-top Box (nice try). TWC has never said word one to us about a TA.

Any help appreciated.
It certainly sounds as if you need to get a Tuning Adapter.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #4423
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
...if you care to still be able to access the KWHY, Shop NBC, AMC, The Weather Channel, ABC Family, Oxygen, TruTV, or Style channels via your cable-card-equipped TiVo.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:17 PM   #4424
MustHaveTivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
OK. Are they available in the LA market? Do I call and ask for a Tuning Adapter? What are the odds the agent will know what one is? Can I stop by the office in Arcadia and get one?
MustHaveTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #4425
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
...if you care to still be able to access the KWHY, Shop NBC, AMC, The Weather Channel, ABC Family, Oxygen, TruTV, or Style channels via your cable-card-equipped TiVo.
I guess another way to say it is 'MustHaveTiVo', 'MustHaveTuningAdapter'

Couldnt resist....
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:42 PM   #4426
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

I called and was told I can go to the local office and pick up the tuning adapter or I can schedule an installation.
Kablemodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:52 PM   #4427
Maineceo

"New Improved" Time Warner

Latest from Bangor: I recently noticed that I could no longer get two-thirds of the high definition TW programming through my Series III. I called in the problem and the kindly technician tried to fix it from there, saying she would have to send out an on-site technician. He arrived a few days later and explained the TW had added HD channels the the lineup, and therefore the cable card coudn't handle them all because it had to be interactive and tell the mothership which channel it wanted at any given moment. He said there was no solution but to put me on one of their pathetic cable boxes. Then he smiled and left.
Maineceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:56 PM   #4428
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineceo View Post
Latest from Bangor: I recently noticed that I could no longer get two-thirds of the high definition TW programming through my Series III. I called in the problem and the kindly technician tried to fix it from there, saying she would have to send out an on-site technician. He arrived a few days later and explained the TW had added HD channels the the lineup, and therefore the cable card coudn't handle them all because it had to be interactive and tell the mothership which channel it wanted at any given moment. He said there was no solution but to put me on one of their pathetic cable boxes. Then he smiled and left.
Sounds like you are dealing with SDV channels. Do you have a tuning adapter as of yet? If not, you should be able to go to www.timewarnercable.com/tuningadapter to order one to be shipped out to you. At least in theory that is .
Old 11-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #4429
kerobec

Yep, I called TW and was told I'd have to get a tuning adapter. I pointed out that the letter says NOTHING specific about this, just alludes to it, and the woman didn't say anything, but she was very surprised this was the first I was hearing about this, because she says they've been sending out notices quite a bit. Whatever. Anyway, I was told I could pick up an adapter in Santa Clarita, or order on one that TWC link, but when I go to that page, there's nowhere to sign up for anything. Just a description of a tuning adapter.

ETA: my first call was to tech support, who did know exactly what I was talking about. My second call was to a general CSR, who had no idea what a tuning adapter was. He did, however, give me a MUCH closer office to go and pick up a tuning adapter at. I tried to get a direct number out of him so I could call and ask if they actually have them, but he wouldn't give me one. So, I'll go over there and try.

Last edited by kerobec : 11-09-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #4430
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerobec View Post
Yep, I called TW and was told I'd have to get a tuning adapter. I pointed out that the letter says NOTHING specific about this, just alludes to it, and the woman didn't say anything, but she was very surprised this was the first I was hearing about this, because she says they've been sending out notices quite a bit. Whatever. Anyway, I was told I could pick up an adapter in Santa Clarita, or order on one that TWC link, but when I go to that page, there's nowhere to sign up for anything. Just a description of a tuning adapter.

ETA: my first call was to tech support, who did know exactly what I was talking about. My second call was to a general CSR, who had no idea what a tuning adapter was. He did, however, give me a MUCH closer office to go and pick up a tuning adapter at. I tried to get a direct number out of him so I could call and ask if they actually have them, but he wouldn't give me one. So, I'll go over there and try.
what is your Zip code?
Old 11-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #4431
tydurden

Cablecard Nightmare Riverside, CA

I returned my original TivoHd because it was intermittently rebooting. This TIVO worked fine with a cablecard but it would reboot out of the blue. The TivoHD that was sent as replacement has not been able to work with a cablecard in it. I have had 4 different Time Warner technicians out to try and get it to work, they tried 6 different cards (four M cards & two S cards) in it and had no luck. TIVO says it is an issue with Time Warner’s activation process. Time Warner says it is a bad TIVO since it was working before but not now. Help!!!! I am stuck with a $600 piece of junk. What should I do.
tydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #4432
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydurden View Post
I returned my original TivoHd because it was intermittently rebooting. This TIVO worked fine with a cablecard but it would reboot out of the blue. The TivoHD that was sent as replacement has not been able to work with a cablecard in it. I have had 4 different Time Warner technicians out to try and get it to work, they tried 6 different cards (four M cards & two S cards) in it and had no luck. TIVO says it is an issue with Time Warner’s activation process. Time Warner says it is a bad TIVO since it was working before but not now. Help!!!! I am stuck with a $600 piece of junk. What should I do.
Has the TWC National Cable Card Support group been involved so far? If not, they should be. You can get connected to them either through TiVo support or your local TWC tech support -- ask for this.

and
Old 11-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #4433
tydurden

Quote:
Has the TWC National Cable Card Support group been involved so far? If not, they should be. You can get connected to them either through TiVo support or your local TWC tech support -- ask for this.
Who should I ask?

Tivo Phone Support?Time Warner Phone Support? The Time Warner Technician?

Time Warner phone support will not work with me on this. They have to send a technician to do anything. then once they arrive they spend 3 hours on the phone with their headquarter...
Old 11-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #4434
Grumock

Quote:
when you go to the Conditional access screen what are you seeing on the: Con or connected status/ the EBCP/ & the Val or Host validation status?
Old 11-09-2009, 05:28 PM   #4435
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Who should I ask?

Tivo Phone Support?Time Warner Phone Support? The Time Warner Technician?

Time Warner phone support will not work with me on this. They have to send a technician to do anything. then once they arrive they spend 3 hours on the phone with their headquarter...
I had in mind calling your local TWC support -- or call TiVo support. If you think TWC support is going to react very badly, I would start with TiVo. In either case tell them you would like for Time Warner's National Cable Card Support group to look at your problems. Let them do whatever they want to try first, before asking -- hopefully they will decide to try NCCS on their own.

Here is a link in the TiVo Support Documentation that will amplify Grumock's suggestions. As you will see you can determine both if the card is activated and if it has been authorized to receive the particular channel it is currently trying to tune. TiVo support would probably take you to this page anyway.

The TWC office has to maintain a list of authorized channels for the service on your account. As I understand it, this list is defined distinctly ONLY for TiVos. Thus it can be incorrect without affecting their normal non-TiVo customers.

and

Last edited by dlfl : 11-09-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #4436
tydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
when you go to the Conditional access screen what are you seeing on the: Con or connected status/ the EBCP/ & the Val or Host validation status?
I don't remeber what this said. I will double check this tonight. But Tivo support had me check this screen and they said it looked good. I think it was..con:yes EPCp:yes Val:V 0x01

Quote:
I had in mind calling your local TWC support -- or call TiVo support. If you think TWC support is going to react very badly, I would start with TiVo. In either case tell them you would like for Time Warner's National Cable Card Support group to look at your problems. Let them do whatever they want to try first, before asking -- hopefully they will decide to try NCCS on their own.

Here is a...link in the TiVo Support Documentation, that will amplify Grumock's suggestions. As you will see you can determine both if the card is activated and if it has been authorized to receive the particular channel it is currently trying to tune. TiVo support would probably take you to this page anyway.

The TWC office has to maintain a list of authorized channels for the service on your account. As I understand it, this list is defined distinctly ONLY for TiVos. Thus it can be incorrect without affecting their normal non-TiVo customers.
When I am on the conditional access screen there is nothing after Val:V 0x01. the rest of the page is blank.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:04 PM   #4437
kerobec

Quote:
what is your Zip code?

I went to the TW office given to me by the CSR to see about picking up a tuning adapter, and the woman behind the counter had vaguely heard of them, but after digging around in her computer for a while, discovered she couldn't even sign me up for a tech to come out to my apartment, because her machine didn't have the code for a tuning adapter on it. She also was told by her boss that I couldn't have one mailed to me or pick one up, so I HAVE to get a tech to come out. So, I'm supposed to just call the main TW customer line and sign up. Fortunately, I'm unemployed and have plenty of time to sit around and wait for that.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #4438
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerobec View Post

I went to the TW office given to me by the CSR to see about picking up a tuning adapter, and the woman behind the counter had vaguely heard of them, but after digging around in her computer for a while, discovered she couldn't even sign me up for a tech to come out to my apartment, because her machine didn't have the code for a tuning adapter on it. She also was told by her boss that I couldn't have one mailed to me or pick one up, so I HAVE to get a tech to come out. So, I'm supposed to just call the main TW customer line and sign up. Fortunately, I'm unemployed and have plenty of time to sit around and wait for that.
So I see from this link: http://www.timewarnercable.com/SoCal...v/default.html

that you are to go to a local office after you get some letter in the mail notifying you?
Old 11-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #4439
tydurden

Quote:
This is what I see and ther is nothing else after

Con:Yes EBCP:YES Val:V 0x14

H++P://i38.tinypic.com/2i7rcsl.jpg
Old 11-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #4440
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
This is what I see and ther is nothing else after

Con:Yes EBCP:YES Val:V 0x14

H++P://i38.tinypic.com/2i7rcsl.jpg
This is a Motorola M-Card, right?

Did you compare this to the corresponding TiVo documentation page?

What I get from this is the card is initialized but either the channel is not authorized for your account or something else is very wrong, since a lot of info is just missing. I would start with TiVo and try to get the NCCS group involved as I suggested earlier.

There is a page or two of instructions for installing cable cards that comes with each new TiVo. If you don't have that see this page in the TiVo Support Documentation.

and