Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #4351
robertgp124
Ordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwgsp View Post
You may want to ask TWC to verify that your account is enabled to receive digital cable channels.

When I first ordered a cable card (in my case a M-card) I told the customer service rep that I did not need a digital cable box. After my M-card was installed I noticed that I did not receive all of the digital channels. I later learned that TWC Rochester's system will not allow the rep to enable digital channels unless the customer is also provided with a digital cable box. Note that this is an administrative issue; the customer does not have to actually hook up the box to the cable. Once I agreed to take possession of a digital cable box, they were able to enable all of the digital channels.

Fortunately the digital box is free. I currently have it hooked up to a spare TV in my basement.

/Don
Meant to follow up. Different TWC guy showed up Monday (On time, with a 10 minute warning, very nice). Verified everything, called the office and had a couple of hits sent to the box. Everything started working. Tech was baffled, said this was way too easy. I had to laugh, he was as suspicious as I was. We checked things out for a while, and he left.

A little later, I got a call from TWC's national cable card support. Told her everything was working, and she was surprised. After talking, she decided the hits she had sent must not have made it through the system.

Nearly a week later, everything is working. Once I got past the initial tech, all went well.
robertgp124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #4352
BradI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayJimW View Post
I spoke to an account rep today that had re authorized my cards several times and then completely wiped my account and started over in an attempt to fix this "problem". I now believe that there is nothing to fix and those channels must be switched. You would think the employees would be aware of such things and could have saved us both a lot of time and effort.

I post this only for the benefit of any other customers in the Piedmont Triad region of Time Warner's footprint........
I am considering getting a Tivo HD3 (my first Tivo) are the triad time warner issues resolved? can I get 2 cards for my Tivo? thanks
BradI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #4353
kika2000

TWC NYC area - New HD channels?

TWC did a big channel switch in the area as of this last Thursday. They moved around a bunch of channels and added a few.

I can see all of the moved channels at their new location, but I'm not receiving any of the new ones. I can see the guide info, but the channels are just black.

Anybody else seeing 782 TCMHD or 685 BBCAHD? Is it just me or are they not broadcasting yet?
kika2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #4354
kingkong316

Quote:
Originally Posted by kika2000 View Post
TWC did a big channel switch in the area as of this last Thursday. They moved around a bunch of channels and added a few.

I can see all of the moved channels at their new location, but I'm not receiving any of the new ones. I can see the guide info, but the channels are just black.

Anybody else seeing 782 TCMHD or 685 BBCAHD? Is it just me or are they not broadcasting yet?
Don't tease me down here in Dallas. I see BBCAHD and jumped up and immediately checked and was very disappointment when there was nothing on that channel.
kingkong316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:48 PM   #4355
ultrarunner

I have a single M card in my series 3 unit along with my SDV tuner. Over the last couple of months some of my HD channels will not tune. Channel scan, diag, rebooting the Tivo and the Cisco box does not seem to have an effect. Service call is tomorrow. Anything else I should check or try on my end? I am also getting a blinking green light on my SDV box.

Last edited by ultrarunner : 09-15-2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Edit
ultrarunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #4356
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarunner View Post
I have a single M card in my series 3 unit along with my SDV tuner. Over the last couple of months some of my HD channels will not tune. Channel scan, diag, rebooting the Tivo and the Cisco box does not seem to have an effect. Service call is tomorrow. Anything else I should check or try on my end? I am also getting a blinking green light on my SDV box.
well the blinking green light is not a good thing. Have you tried to disconnect the USB that is going from the TA to the TIVO? Is the light on the TA blinking in a pattern or just constantly blinking, i.e. 6 blinks & a pause or 8 blinks & a pause?
Old 09-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #4357
arantius

Following up on my earlier post, after so much bothering Time Warner (5 different techs over quite a few weeks, and missed appointments, and stress) ... It was a bad TiVo!

After exhausting all my support options with TWC, and getting no results, I decided I had to return the TiVo unit. I made one last call, first, to try to exchange it. When I explained that the TiVo failed to tune dozens of channels (and get a low signal strength reading on those that it did tune), but the TWC box hooked up at the same time worked fine, I got an RMA.

Long story short, the replacement TiVo arrived, and now I've got a perfect signal, on every channel. Sheesh!
arantius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #4358
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by arantius View Post
Following up on my earlier post, after so much bothering Time Warner (5 different techs over quite a few weeks, and missed appointments, and stress) ... It was a bad TiVo!
Long story short, the replacement TiVo arrived, and now I've got a perfect signal, on every channel. Sheesh!
Well it had to happen some time! The exception that proves the rule. Usually a new TiVo is obtained and makes no difference at all (because far more problems are caused by CableCARDs, Tuning Adapters, bad cabling, bad cable signals, etc.) I bet TiVo exchanges 5 good TiVos for every bad one they get back. (That's where all those refurbished units come from.)

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #4359
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arantius View Post

After exhausting all my support options with TWC, and getting no results, I decided I had to return the TiVo unit. I made one last call, first, to try to exchange it. When I explained that the TiVo failed to tune dozens of channels (and get a low signal strength reading on those that it did tune), but the TWC box hooked up at the same time worked fine, I got an RMA.

I'm afraid your replacement TiVo may be a coincidence. I'm in Brooklyn, NY and have been dealing with blocks of missing channels on our S3 for a month, including several HD premium channels (SHOHD, TMCHD, etc). After 5 tech visits totaling almost 20 hours in my apartment over 3 weeks and numerous assurances that they'd eventually track down the problem if they kept coming back, I escalated my issue to the Office of the President at Time Warner, who immediately put a team of qualified and dedicated professionals on my case - people who were empowered to do more than read from a script, schedule another truck roll and replace another set of cable cards. I got a call the next day from a head tech at TWC's national cable card division who assured me that they were working on the issue at the "head end" and that they had many confirmed cases of the exact same channels missing on other customer's TiVos (S3 and HD).

It was a head-end package cable card programming issue and it was system-wide (at least in this region). Without anyone else having to come back to my apartment, without having to reboot my TiVo 5 more times for no good reason other than the fact that the techs don't know any better, and with my original cable cards reinstalled, the problem was resolved on their end this past Tuesday and I came home to all of my channels appearing as they should and a clean signal across the board.

If anyone, especially in the NYC area has lost channels (black screen) since early August and still don't have them back, call the TWC National Cable Card hotline at 866-532-2598 and let them help you. My experience with them was terrific and I will never call the local TWC support line again when I have cable card problems, because the CSRs that answer those phones know nothing about cable cards other than how to "refresh" the signal (i.e. send hits to the cards) and schedule a tech visit (by a tech who probably also knows nothing about cable cards at all, as most of mine didn't).

I'm also happy to report that after all my troubles, including a scheduled appointment that they missed, I managed to get 2 full months of credits on my bill (for cable tv, not for internet, which wasn't affected), which almost made the month of troubles and missing channels worth it.

Good luck!
Old 09-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #4360
realityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I don't feel quite as bad now. TWC in my region said they only had s-cards too, so I'm paying for two of them, $2.54/mo. per card, FYI.

There are many reported instances of customers being able to get CableCARD's authorized and paired over the phone (without an installer). Since you've already paid your "truck-roll" dues, I wonder if it would be worth calling them and pressuring them to do that, instead of waiting till they roll another truck?
I haven't checked this thread in a bit since my cablecards are working fine, but I'm sure the I received 2 M-Cards last time that I had an issue that required a truck roll. I think those are the ones that I ended up keeping after my cards were swapped several times. Is there a way to tell on a S3 without actually taking the cards out?
realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #4361
Stone1555
./1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsamurai View Post
I'm afraid your replacement TiVo may be a coincidence. I'm in Brooklyn, NY and have been dealing with blocks of missing channels on our S3 for a month, including several HD premium channels (SHOHD, TMCHD, etc). After 5 tech visits totaling almost 20 hours in my apartment over 3 weeks and numerous assurances that they'd eventually track down the problem if they kept coming back, I escalated my issue to the Office of the President at Time Warner, who immediately put a team of qualified and dedicated professionals on my case - people who were empowered to do more than read from a script, schedule another truck roll and replace another set of cable cards. I got a call the next day from a head tech at TWC's national cable card division who assured me that they were working on the issue at the "head end" and that they had many confirmed cases of the exact same channels missing on other customer's TiVos (S3 and HD).

It was a head-end package cable card programming issue and it was system-wide (at least in this region). Without anyone else having to come back to my apartment, without having to reboot my TiVo 5 more times for no good reason other than the fact that the techs don't know any better, and with my original cable cards reinstalled, the problem was resolved on their end this past Tuesday and I came home to all of my channels appearing as they should and a clean signal across the board.

If anyone, especially in the NYC area has lost channels (black screen) since early August and still don't have them back, call the TWC National Cable Card hotline at 866-532-2598 and let them help you. My experience with them was terrific and I will never call the local TWC support line again when I have cable card problems, because the CSRs that answer those phones know nothing about cable cards other than how to "refresh" the signal (i.e. send hits to the cards) and schedule a tech visit (by a tech who probably also knows nothing about cable cards at all, as most of mine didn't).

I'm also happy to report that after all my troubles, including a scheduled appointment that they missed, I managed to get 2 full months of credits on my bill (for cable tv, not for internet, which wasn't affected), which almost made the month of troubles and missing channels worth it.

Good luck!
Glad to hear you got everything working. I have tried that number in the past, seems they only work with field techs, supervisors and escalations per the rep I spoke to. So from my experience if you don't fall into that group they will turn you back to your local.
Stone1555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:53 PM   #4362
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
What's going on here? In SoCal here.

I'm randomly missing recordings because it says I wasn't "authorized to receive that channel." But it's basic cable channels like 404 (NBC.) And when I tune to that channel, I see nothing.

The first call to TWC, they told me to reboot the TiVo. I did, sure enough, that worked.

But now I'm not getting other channels, like MTV, Current, or G4.

So I called TWC again. Now they're telling me they think I need a Tuning Adapter.

Um... why wouldn't they let me know this in their bills ahead of time, or via another letter, or an email? Why didn't the first tech know this?

Anyway, I have to go to their office tomorrow and pick up a free Tuning Adapter. Wish me luck.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:56 PM   #4363
mmcgown

It's almost astonishing that eight months have passed since the Tuning Adapter was released, and still, the cable companies have managed to keep it a virtual secret that they are deploying Switched Digital Video.
mmcgown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:12 PM   #4364
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcgown View Post
It's almost astonishing that eight months have passed since the Tuning Adapter was released, and still, the cable companies have managed to keep it a virtual secret that they are deploying Switched Digital Video.
Not really.....

SDV is transparent to customers who use their STB's and DVR's, and TiVo digital subscribers are only about 0.5% of their digital customers. What incentive would they have to advertise it? I believe most cable cos using SDV do acknowledge that fact somewhere on their web sites.

The brutal fact is TiVo customers are not important to them, even if they sometimes make noises to the contrary. As I understand it, they are not even legally required to furnish tuning adapters.

and
Old 09-26-2009, 12:14 AM   #4365
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Another question. I get "Messages" on my TiVo all the time about channel additions and channel deletions. I mean, how hard would it be for them to send a message about the fact (?) that I need to get a Tuning Adapter from the cable company office? Seems like a pretty important message to me.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #4366

Channels Dropping out

Has anyone in Northeast Ohio had issues with channels dropping intermittently? A channel will come in perfectly, and then an hour later the screen is just grey and that same chennel will not come in. Check back later and it is back again. I have (2) cable cards with a TIVO 3 HD. I also have a SDV adapter. Thx
1116022965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #4367
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcgown View Post
Tell me about it. I called and they sent me down to the local cable office. Which in turn sent me to two other offices. All gave me conflicting messages about whether or not I'd need a Tuning Adapter. Ultimately wasting a day, and finding out that my area doesn't yet need one.

They ultimately sent a tech out, who replaced my two S-Cards, and now I'm getting all of my channels again on my Series 3 TiVo.

What an embarrassing mess TWC is.... sheesh.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #4368
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

No SDV in L.A. yet. Check this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=306411 as there have been some recent discussions, but no concrete info.

A few months ago TWC had me provide my cable card info. I suspect that was related to the eventual deployment of SDV, which I expect within 6 months. As messed up as TWC is, I suspect they will have more info on SDV and the tuning adapter when SDV is actually implemented.
Kablemodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:32 PM   #4369
JCG1577

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1116022965 View Post
Has anyone in Northeast Ohio had issues with channels dropping intermittently? A channel will come in perfectly, and then an hour later the screen is just grey and that same chennel will not come in. Check back later and it is back again. I have (2) cable cards with a TIVO 3 HD. I also have a SDV adapter. Thx
I live in Northeast Ohio and have had nothing but problem with TWC and my cable-card/tuning adapter. Whne I called to get my Cable-card the tech (outsourced by TWC) came by, threw the card in and said he had to get to anohter appt in 10 minutes. He then just left and bascially the card never authorixed. After I called his cell he came back and we got some channels but was missing a whole bunch of HD channels. Then they called support again and said oh I need a tuning adapter! I didn't realize I needed one only to find out after he left that the stations I could not get weren't SDV! So I got the tuning adapter and set it up and still couldn't get my channels.

After calling TWC customer support they actually connected me to the national cable card hotline and the guy there said he normally doesn't talk to the customer. Anyway, he helped me and said there was a problem with how my account was coded and BAM I had all my HD channels.

Everything worked great for one week and then all of a sudden I am now missing all HD channels after 439. I called customer support and they can't help so now I have a tech coming out on Friday. Which I am sure they won't know what's going on and I am going to go round and round again.

Bottom line it has to be a setup issue on TWC side with the Cable-card as how did I have the channels for a week and now they don't exist. I get the grey screen.

I wish I never would have gotten the TIVO HD because it has been a nightmare with TWC.
JCG1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #4370
Grumock

JCG1577 I am going to ask the most obvious questions. Have you tried to remove the USB cord from the TA, & then remove the power for 5-10 seconds then plug it back up, leaving the USB out until the light stays fully solid? Normally Grey screen is something on the signal side but sometimes rebooting the TA will fix that temporarily.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #4371
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
JCG1577 I am going to ask the most obvious questions. Have you tried to remove the USB cord from the TA, & then remove the power for 5-10 seconds then plug it back up, leaving the USB out until the light stays fully solid? Normally Grey screen is something on the signal side but sometimes rebooting the TA will fix that temporarily.
Might need to modify those instructions a little. When the TA is powered and initialized, but not connected via USB to the TiVo, I believe it repeats a six-blink-then-pause sequence. This may vary. Maybe it is solid. Thus if it's either solid or blinking that sequence, you can connect the USB cable.

and
Old 10-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #4372
Grumock

Quote:
Might need to modify those instructions a little. When the TA is powered and initialized, but not connected via USB to the TiVo, I believe it repeats a six-blink-then-pause sequence. This may vary. Maybe it is solid. Thus if it's either solid or blinking that sequence, you can connect the USB cable.
Only some do but most do not. So you are right & I am sorry I forgot that 6 blink pattern.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:04 PM   #4373
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
Only some do but most do not. So you are right & I am sorry I forgot that 6 blink pattern.
Funny thing is: IIRC, my TA has shown both behaviors!

and
Old 10-05-2009, 11:07 PM   #4374
SteadyEddieNYC

Cable cards OR keep the box?

Hi All, I live in Manhattan- I just ordered a new series 3 HD TIVO- I am wondering do I get the cable cards- 2 of them? or keep my box? The savings will be about 10 bucks a month once I give up the twc dvr and box-

the charge for ea. card is 5.25 a month- plus a $40.00 install charge for the 1st card and $20.00 for the additional card- total 60 bucks for the guy to come and 10.50 per mo for the cards-

The rep told me that they have new upgraded cards and I wont lose any PPV or In demand channels with the new cards-

Does any one have this set up or have an opinion?

Ed
SteadyEddieNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #4375
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyEddieNYC View Post
Hi All, I live in Manhattan- I just ordered a new series 3 HD TIVO- I am wondering do I get the cable cards- 2 of them? or keep my box? The savings will be about 10 bucks a month once I give up the twc dvr and box-

the charge for ea. card is 5.25 a month- plus a $40.00 install charge for the 1st card and $20.00 for the additional card- total 60 bucks for the guy to come and 10.50 per mo for the cards-

The rep told me that they have new upgraded cards and I wont lose any PPV or In demand channels with the new cards-

Ed
You definitely want the cable cards. You may need a Tuning Adapter too, to get ***SDV*** channels.

Unless this is some special TWC service I've never heard of, the rep who said you would get PPV or On Demand was wrong. Note: cable co. agents are very frequently wrong about TiVo capabilities and requirements! TiVo's are unimportant oddities to them.

and
Old 10-06-2009, 08:57 AM   #4376
Grumock

Quote:
Funny thing is: IIRC, my TA has shown both behaviors!
you have one that is possessed then & think it may need a priest LMAO
Old 10-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #4377
Grumock

Quote:

Ed

I am in full agreement with Dlfl that rep is 100% incorrect. There is currently no way that a TIVo can receive PPV or on Demand since they are all unidirectional in nature. Even if you have SDV in your area, which you don't, & have to use a Tuning adapter, you would still not be able to receive those services.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #4378
SteadyEddieNYC

I figured she was wrong- Why are cable cards better? Will the HD twc box work? do I ask for the M card? and the tuning adapter? This already is a pain and tivo has not arrived yet-

Thanks
SteadyEddieNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:41 AM   #4379
Grumock

Quote:
I figured she was wrong- Why are cable cards better? Will the HD twc box work? do I ask for the M card? and the tuning adapter? This already is a pain and tivo has not arrived yet-

Thanks
from what I can tell they have not launched SDV in your area yet so a Tuning adapter is not needed. If the cards load in the Front then yes i would ask for a "Multistream" card. Now the rep will probably get that deer in the headlights sound to their voice, but just tell them to make sure they note the work order with that. There is no reason that the HD box will stop working unless you take it off your account.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #4380
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:

Thanks
CC's are the way HD TiVo's were designed to work with digital cable. They enable dual-tuner operation. I'm not sure what the HD twc box gives you but I'm sure it won't allow dual-tuner operation. Also, I doubt there is any way you can control it (select channels) from the TiVo.

Yes ask for a M-Card. The HD will work just as well with 2 S-Cards but you will pay a few bucks more per month for renting 2 cards, usually.

Grumock believes your cable system doesn't use SDV. If true, you will not need a tuning adapter. However it would be advisable to confirm this with your TWC agent, and look on their web site. Unfortunately there have been cases where agents were wrong about this and nothing on the web site indicated it either. If you need a TA and don't have one, you will be missing a bunch of channels (the ones they use SDV for). TWC normally furnishes the TA free of charge (if required). One way to force this issue would be to tell the TWC agent you want a TA, and see what response you get.

and

Last edited by dlfl : 10-06-2009 at 09:57 AM.