TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-23-2009, 11:46 PM   #4201
szurlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdaddy View Post
I just purchased a Tivo HD and Time Warner Cable (TWC) told me that they don't support CableCards and that all I need is a SDV box. After reading though the posts on this site, I come to the conclusion that I still need CableCard(s) to pickup digital & HD signals. I called TWC back and asked a different person for 2 CableCards and a SDV box. She informed me that the SDV switch is built into the CableCards. I don't think is correct and I have already ordered the SDV switch from the TWC website. I have an appointment this Saturday for CableCard installation. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
The Tuning Adapter and the CableCard are two different devices. The CableCard goes in the slot in the front of your TivoHD and decrypts the digital data stream sent to your TivoHD by the cable company. It also controls which channels you are and are not authorized to watch, etc.
The TA is a box about the size of a small cable box that plugs into your Tivo via USB and coax. The TA is what gives your Tivo the ability to tune Switch Digital Video channels, since it cannot do that itself.
There are single and multi-stream cablecards, which refers to the number of streams that can be decoded simultaneously. For a device that has two tuners, like the TivoHD, you need either two single stream cards or one multi-stream card. Most people seem to agree that for the TivoHD one multi-stream card is the way to go. Plus, in all likely hood, you are going to have to pay a monthly fee for the card(s) and you'd rather only have to pay for one
Old 04-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #4202
Swervo

Just wanted to throw this out there. I've been trying since May 15th of last year to get my Tivo HD working. Replaced the Tivo unit, tried multitudes of cable cards, nothing. It would never get past the "Acquiring Channel Information" screen. We ended up having our cable company DVR go out, and while the guy was out replacing it, he claimed he could get any Tivo working. About a day and a half after that, they found the problem:

They had us listed as being in Santa Monica, CA, when we're actually in West Los Angeles, CA. Because of this, it was trying to authenticate on the wrong head end.

I thought that might be helpful to someone, I'd never seen anyone mention it and it's one of those "last place you look" kinds of things.
Swervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #4203
gsdaddy

Tivo HD and TWC: Second tuner not working with an M-CARD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdaddy View Post
I just purchased a Tivo HD and Time Warner Cable (TWC) told me that they don't support CableCards and that all I need is a SDV box. After reading though the posts on this site, I come to the conclusion that I still need CableCard(s) to pickup digital & HD signals. I called TWC back and asked a different person for 2 CableCards and a SDV box. She informed me that the SDV switch is built into the CableCards. I don't think is correct and I have already ordered the SDV switch from the TWC website. I have an appointment this Saturday for CableCard installation. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Has anyone experienced the second tuner not working with an M-CARD?

The tech came out yesterday with two S-CARDs and he could not get the second one to work because TWC mistyped a number on the first one. Since he had to start over, he asked me if I wanted the M-CARD he had with him. The M-CARD had the same results: "No Signal on Tuner Two". I called TWC and they told me the card was fine. I called Tivo and we worked through screens where we found the EMM was 0 and they suspected a bad card. I call the installer back and a different tech came back this morning with 2 more M-CARDs to try out. The first M-CARD showed a failure on TWC side. The second one paired and EMM is stuck at 2. The tech said give it a few hours to finish updating and call him back. Grrrrr.
gsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #4204
machead

Got my first Tivo this past weekend. TivoHD.

I use TWC out of San Antonio and have basic/standard analog. On my Mac and PC, I get great clear-QAM pictures.

Anyway I just went down to my local TWC office and talked to a rep about digital cable, cable cards and tuning adaptors.

The rep had the following answers:

1. They will not lease me a cable card unless I pay for the digital service.
2. They will not give me digital service unless I also pay for their cable box (which I won't be using).
3. The rep says they know nothing about tuning adaptors or SDV.
4. A rep sitting next to him said that the TWC store in SA on San Pedro has tuning adators and cable cards available over the counter for self-service.
machead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #4205
Lorcane

This post goes out for anyone that works for or knows someone that works for TWC. I'm in the Rio Grande Valley Area and know one seems to know how to get my cable cards activated again. I has something to do with the warehouse not getting anymore Motorola S-Cards, they are only getting M-Cards from SA. Trouble is the system in the RGV reads those cards as S-Cards and my TivoHD sees them as M-Cards thus they can't get them to activate anyone have a solution? I'm one of a handful of customers having this problem and they don't seem to be trying to fix it quickly. My CC have not worked since December.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:15 PM   #4206
RichieW13

Will I be able to access my Time Warner OnDemand programming through my TiVo HD box once I've installed the CableCard (which I don't have yet) - or am I still going to need my cable box for that?
RichieW13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #4207
RichieW13

I went into the local Time Warner office today. They said they can't just give me a CableCard. They say I have to get a tech to come to my house and install it.

What's that all about? Does the tech actually do something special to set my TiVo up with a CableCard, or is it a stupid scam to make it more difficult for me to get rid of their crappy cable box and switch to TiVo?
RichieW13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:59 AM   #4208
Lorcane

Richie,

I was told by a tech when I asked about why they had to come out and install the cards is the fact they had to buy too many replacement TVs when customers installed the cards wrong and bent the pins the card slides into. But don't believe that because they charged me for two installs when I had both my cards installed into my TiVo. FYI, its possible that the TWC reps in your area are clueless about CCs. Most of mine are. In fact my CC stopped working in Nov and they haven't been able to figure out how to reactivate them.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:32 AM   #4209
JimWall

Richie,
Most people probalby can do it themselves. But problem can happen and at least they can then blame their own people. Tech has to send the S/N of each card and host IDs to someone at TWC who then pairs your billing information to the cards so they can have the keys to decrypt scrambled channels. If some channels don't show up the tech can check the digital signal strength and noise level to see if that is why a particular channel does not appear. If so then tech can troubleshoot it.
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:29 AM   #4210
alansrobot

What Tivo model can I use

Okay, I live in Kansas City MO, and have Time Warner Cable. I rent a Scientific Atlanta 8300 explorer PVR and was told by TWC that i could buy my own Tivo as long as it has a cable card slot. I don't have an HD TV so I don't need the box to do HD; but I want to continue getting the same channels. I need help figuring out which model I should get that is equivalent to the SA 8300 while spending as little as possible. Thanks!

Last edited by alansrobot : 05-21-2009 at 09:35 AM.
alansrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #4211
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansrobot View Post
Okay, I live in Kansas City MO, and have Time Warner Cable. I rent a Scientific Atlanta 8300 explorer PVR and was told by TWC that i could buy my own Tivo as long as it has a cable card slot. I don't have an HD TV so I don't need the box to do HD; but I want to continue getting the same channels. I need help figuring out which model I should get that is equivalent to the SA 8300 while spending as little as possible. Thanks!
You should probably get a TivoHD anyways... None of the non-HD tivos support cablecard. Be aware that most cable companies charge a fee for using cablecard too.

You *can* use an older tivo and attach it to one of your cable company's regular cable boxes, although then you will only be able to record/view one channel (and you'll still have to rent a cable box from your cable company).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:05 AM   #4212
adsnova

I have a new unopened TIVO HD DVR. It may stay unopened since I seem to have a common problem.
The Bakerfield, Ca office of BH will be happy to rent me a cable card; however, they informed me that about half of the stations I subscribe to will be unavailable unless I continue to rent the BH box. They do not acknowledge the the FCC directive to provide me access to all that I subscribe to. They know nothing about the so called "Free Channel Tuning" gadget as referenced on TIVO's web site.
Has anyone successfully challanged BH on this?
Is the only option open to me at this time my option to return the TIVO and get my money back? Should I just call DirectTV and get their HD service?

Last edited by adsnova : 05-23-2009 at 01:06 AM. Reason: typo
adsnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #4213
jablon10

Broadcast Basic - Need Cable Card?

I've got Broadcast Basic on Time Warner (Southern California) and a Tivo HD. I currently have a multi-stream cable card installed and it works great. I have another HD TV that is hooked up directly to the coax (no box). Both TVs get regular and HD stations.

Do I really need the cable card for my "big" TV? Would I still get guide data for my broadcast basic stations? Would the Tivo guide/season pass work any different if I didn't use the cable card?

I've read that you need the cable card to get guide data for HD stations, but then I've also seen screen shots in the forum of stations like 7-1 (ABC HD) with guide data.
jablon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #4214
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsnova View Post
They know nothing about the so called "Free Channel Tuning" gadget as referenced on TIVO's web site.
Has anyone successfully challanged BH on this?
Is the only option open to me at this time my option to return the TIVO and get my money back? Should I just call DirectTV and get their HD service?
you might want to post this question in a BH thread. this thread addresses issues with Time Warner cable.

For all your Comic-Con needs.

alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:23 PM   #4215
adsnova

Brighthouse and Time WarnerCable

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
you might want to post this question in a BH thread. this thread addresses issues with Time Warner cable.
Where I am (at least) Brighthouse is Time Warner. When you search for Brighthouse, the hit at the top of the list is TWC. Thanks for the reply
Old 05-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #4216
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Brighthouse is a separately run and managed company from Time Warner Cable. Time Warner does own a small portion of Brighthouse, but has no role in the operation or management of the company. (Brighthouse is majority owned by Advance/Newhouse.)
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:51 PM   #4217
adsnova

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Brighthouse is a separately run and managed company from Time Warner Cable. Time Warner does own a small portion of Brighthouse, but has no role in the operation or management of the company. (Brighthouse is majority owned by Advance/Newhouse.)
Thank you very much for the info. At one time our service was "Time Warner". I just assumed when the name changed -- that that was what is ws, namely a name chnge. I did not realize there was also an ownership change. Thank you for the information!
Old 05-26-2009, 07:34 PM   #4218
edeese

TWC in Columbus, Ohio

I have a new TiVo HD. So far, TWC Columbus has been here twice - the first time with 3 cable cards, the second time with 5 more cable cards. The most progress thus far has been to get channel 4 (the local NBC affiliate) and most the the 700's (the HD channels) but nothing else. The listings were coming in, but no picture and no sound for the other channels. This is being escalated to a senior tech, who will be out Thursday evening. Any suggestions before they get here? Anything else I should try to make further progress in receiving more channels? Without a cable card, I get channel 2-70, but no HD.
edeese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #4219
JimWall

The two most likely issues are either TWC back office is not entering the billing information properly so the cable cards can get the digital signal or the digital signal is too weak for the cable card to lock onto. A weak signal can be checked by TWC techition on-site.
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:48 AM   #4220
Myphsto

Couple suggestions which have worked for me with cable card issues on TWC.
  • Be sure the tech checks the signal strength at the cable end which plugs into the Tivo before anything else (not at the jack, at the cable end)
  • Insert ONE cable card at a time, activate and test that single card first, if it works correctly during a channel test then do the second card
  • If a single card is not working tell the tech to tell the office (gotta love communication by proxy) to clear out the programming on the account and enter it in as a brand new account. Sometimes old cable cards and boxes can be on the account which cause major problems
  • Use the Tivo diagnostics page for the cable card while they are sending a 'hit' to it to marry the card to your account. Make sure the card gets a "CP Auth Received", if it doesn't then there is a programming issue at the office, don't let them tell you otherwise

Check my original post http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...98#post4456698
for more info.
Myphsto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #4221
machead

Well I found out today that the San Pedro TWC store in San Antonio does indeed have self-install service for CableCards and Tuning Adaptors. I picked up two S-Cards and a TA this afternoon. One of the S-Cards initialized with no problem. The single page instruction sheet from TWC says to call the normal number and instead of putting in your home number to input a "special" 10 digit number got CC activation. Doesn't work. I talk to a rep and they said the card was already activated.

The second card however doesn't work and now I have to have a tech come out. grrrrr.

The TA at first would not initialized and give a steady green light. A call to support and it now is active however the TA doesn't work. Goto any HD channel (i.e. 172 SCIFI or 147 FOODTV) and all I get is a grey screen.

Tech is coming out for that too. sigh
machead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:29 PM   #4222
questors

I have TWC in Orange Co. CA. I got a screen message stating I needed to call my cable provider because my cable cars were not functioning. They had been working fine for over a year and nothing had changed. I called and they sent a tech. He said he has been getting calls like this all day. He said TW was doing something that had to do with "Copyrights" that caused the problem. After he paired the cards and got my channels back every newly recorded show is now copy protected. TiVo Desktop in now useless. Anybody else run into this?
questors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:08 AM   #4223
szurlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by questors View Post
I have TWC in Orange Co. CA. I got a screen message stating I needed to call my cable provider because my cable cars were not functioning. They had been working fine for over a year and nothing had changed. I called and they sent a tech. He said he has been getting calls like this all day. He said TW was doing something that had to do with "Copyrights" that caused the problem. After he paired the cards and got my channels back every newly recorded show is now copy protected. TiVo Desktop in now useless. Anybody else run into this?
Here in TWC Carolinas, everything expect the broadcast networks is copy protected and has been for some time.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #4224
MustHaveTivo

Thumbs down CCI 0x02 in LA county

Quote:
Anybody else run into this?
Yes, not far from you in LA county. I think the franchise is based in Hacienda Heights. We thought the thunderstorms crashed our cable cards, had them reset, and then noticed we couldn't transfer anything between TiVos. Holding on the phone for them now. Your story is not encouraging.

We switched from DirecTV just over a year ago. No MRV kills the deal.
MustHaveTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:47 AM   #4225
mercurial
Retro-Av

That CAN'T (at least by my understanding) apply CCI 0x02 to the broadcast channels but they can (and have for sometime here) apply it to EVERYTHING ELSE. Thank goodness I have a S2DT that I record all the shows for the kids on. It let's me keep their stuff contained to on box but still watch it everywhere (since the analog "hole" allows them to be transferred still).
Old 06-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #4226
seggers

Quote:
Anybody else run into this?
TWC in WNY has pulled this stunt too. Like you say, make the TiVoDesktop stuff pretty much useless. All the 1xx (digital) and HD channels - that aren't got as over the air - have now been locked down.

Of course, none of this stuff can be had from torrents...... (just bitching.)

Seggers
seggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:03 AM   #4227
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Just got a TiVo HD and am about to go digital cable.

In my cable service area, digital cable service includes the same channels in the 1-99 range that are included in analog cable service. With digital cable are these channels still delivered via analog signal or are they digital versions? This is TWC, Southwest Ohio, Dayton North area.

I'm wondering if our second TV (with no TiVo) might still be able to tune the analog channels after we go to digital cable (with no STB). This would be enough for this TV and thus save us the STB rental fee.

On the other hand, I would rather get the 1-99 channels as digital versions, because my HD analog tuners introduce a slight audio problem (popping noises) on some movies on TCM, one of my favorite channels in the 1-99 analog package. If TCM is digital, I can hope the digital version will not have the audio problem.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #4228
Teeps

Anyone else having pixelization problems on Speed TV?
Recorded Formula 1 practice, the picture would break up at least once every 60 to 90 seconds. Sometimes a few times in the same time period.

time warner, Torrance,CA
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #4229
kingkong316

Ok I am moving to the dallas area and will be getting TWC and am switching from FIOS. Just to make sure I understand when I call I want a M Card (Knew this from before) in ADDITION I need a tuning adapter to get the chanels the cablecard won't pick up. Am I understanding this right?
kingkong316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #4230
DougJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkong316 View Post
Ok I am moving to the dallas area and will be getting TWC and am switching from FIOS. Just to make sure I understand when I call I want a M Card (Knew this from before) in ADDITION I need a tuning adapter to get the chanels the cablecard won't pick up. Am I understanding this right?
Nope. In Dallas you just need the M card (or two M or S cards if you have a S3). -- Doug
DougJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote