TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #4171
allietx

Holy crap... any other Austinites following this TWC Pricing Tiers story?!! If there is already a thread of people freaking out about it, please point me to it!
Series2 540 400GB
Series2 240 400GB

Last edited by allietx : 04-01-2009 at 08:03 PM. Reason: clarity
allietx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:07 AM   #4172
Klankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Next time you get the black screen... suggest that you pop into DVR Diagnostics and check (for the tuner with the black channel) the Signal Lock, Program Lock and Search Complete values... I expect you will find Yes, No, No. Also check the three PID values a little further down. When you get the channel back to normal... check DVR Diags again... The first three should all be Yes and hopefully the PID values will be the same.... Please let us know what you find.
It happened to my wife today. The Signal Lock, Program Lock and Search Complete values were YES, YES, YES. Signal level was fluctuating between 86 and 91. When I exited the screen the channel was up. Odd. I'll keep checking if it comes up again, but perhaps the signal level wasn't quite up to snuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Klankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #4173
notting

Quote:
Dont believe them... Channel 117 (753 Mhz) is not one of the SDV QAM's. 108-115 (699Mhz - 741Mhz) are the SDV QAM's.
Going back to this for a second... please check my understanding:
  1. unless they really overcompress, they can't fit more than 2-3 channels in a QAM
  2. which leaves them a SDV capacity of 14-21 HD channels
  3. yet there currently are at least 29 HD SDV channels (in RDU), not to mention the 20+ SD SDV channels

So, less than 50% of the HD channels can be made available simultaneously at any particular head end (and this percentage drops with each month and each set of new channels...)?
notting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #4174
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by notting View Post
Going back to this for a second... please check my understanding:
  1. unless they really overcompress, they can't fit more than 2-3 channels in a QAM
  2. which leaves them a SDV capacity of 14-21 HD channels
  3. yet there currently are at least 29 HD SDV channels (in RDU), not to mention the 20+ SD SDV channels

So, less than 50% of the HD channels can be made available simultaneously at any particular head end (and this percentage drops with each month and each set of new channels...)?

Two HD's per QAM would be optimal... Three is pushing it. My understanding is that TWC is allocating 15Mbits for SDV HD and 3.5Mbit for SDV SD which would allow 2 HD's and 2 SD's per QAM.

As to the rest... close... There are multiple 'service groups' serving a number of 'nodes'. All the service groups are created at the head end and distributed to the nodes. So within a given service group there are 8 QAM's which are carrying SDV content. Now... each service group is independant from the other service groups... so the ratio is not 8 QAM's for all of the Raleigh area (hundreds of thousands of homes)... its 8 QAM's per service group (100 or so homes or thereabouts). SDV really only works if you put lower usage stuff on it. The high usage stuff should be linear. If they start getting blocking... TWC will likely adjust what is SDV and what is not. Have faith... they arent stupid...
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:59 PM   #4175
notting

Quote:
Have faith... they arent stupid...
Thanks... I was just trying to get some data since it appeared I was running into SDV over-commital with my TA; turns out it was an entirely different bizarre error.
notting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:50 AM   #4176
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Have faith... they arent stupid...
**BOGGLE**

I guess that's why I'm an agnostic.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:22 PM   #4177
Lovetroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by allietx View Post
Holy crap... any other Austinites following this TWC Pricing Tiers story?!! If there is already a thread of people freaking out about it, please point me to it!
I think I'm going to freak out a little about it. I wonder how this affects those of us who are "locked in" on our pricing for 2 years.
Lovetroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:34 PM   #4178
mmcgown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetroll View Post
I think I'm going to freak out a little about it. I wonder how this affects those of us who are "locked in" on our pricing for 2 years.
The answer to that was in the original story.........

One more update before I leave the office. In answer to the question about whether current contract customers will be able to get out of their contract based on this change, Time Warner Cable spokeswoman Melissa Sorola said via Twitter, “too early to tell - we’re still in the data collection phase of this.”
mmcgown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:40 AM   #4179
KeinoDoggy

received my TA today. Seems to be very flaky device. Sometimes the green light on it after plugging it in will blink for hours unless I unplug it and start over. With it, I'm basically losing all of my analog channels except way low ones like 2-99. They come back after unplugging and keeping unplugged the TA. I'm getting none of the new HD including Discovery HD, Palladium, USA HD, Diisney HD and Sci Fi HD. I beleive all the new HD should be coming in through the Cable CARD not the TW. I'll try to get a hold of someone at TW today but doubtful they'll have any ideas.
BTW,

I have one of the old TW HD boxes in another room and it is getting all of the channels.
KeinoDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #4180
MrPlastic

Channel Unavailable

Not sure where to post this so if some one knows a better thread please let me know.
I live in Austin and have a HDXL with tuner adapter and also a regular box. I used to have pixelation problems but using a different cable and moving the Tivo unit closer to the source I now have excellent stable images.
My new problem is channel unavailable and it happens on both the Tivo and the cable box. It is only on certain channels in the Sports pack. Tennis and Soccer all come in fine but Fuel and the College channels will lose signal. The error message is "channel unavailable try again later." And it'll happen while I am watching, the picture freezes.
I have called TWC and they don't seem to know what the problem is. When I do get a signal it is 100 percent. It doesn't happen to all of the channels in the Sports Pack, like Tennis or Soccer. Speed is pretty stable but sometimes I lose it too. TWC seems to think a tech can help but I am not sure. Any one have a similar problem?
MrPlastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #4181
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlastic View Post
Not sure where to post this so if some one knows a better thread please let me know.
I live in Austin and have a HDXL with tuner adapter and also a regular box. I used to have pixelation problems but using a different cable and moving the Tivo unit closer to the source I now have excellent stable images.
My new problem is channel unavailable and it happens on both the Tivo and the cable box. It is only on certain channels in the Sports pack. Tennis and Soccer all come in fine but Fuel and the College channels will lose signal. The error message is "channel unavailable try again later." And it'll happen while I am watching, the picture freezes.
I have called TWC and they don't seem to know what the problem is. When I do get a signal it is 100 percent. It doesn't happen to all of the channels in the Sports Pack, like Tennis or Soccer. Speed is pretty stable but sometimes I lose it too. TWC seems to think a tech can help but I am not sure. Any one have a similar problem?
It sounds like you are having a problem with SDV overcommitment... not enough QAM's for the number of channel requests. I suggest you post this in the Austin Tuning Adapter thread and cableguy will likely be able to help.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:53 PM   #4182
prewittj1
That's What She Said

Time Warner Austin

Just had my multi-stream cable card and tuning adaptor installed yesterday by time warner in Austin.

Is it normal for the whole screen to go grey for a second every time I change the channel? I figure this is normal and it just takes a second for the next channel to load but wanted to make sure.
prewittj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:23 PM   #4183
Klankster

This is starting to get old.

We keep having channels that are black when we change to them or we get a "this channel is temporarily unavailable" message.

I just tried to switch to CNNHD (channel 544) and it would not tune -- it was just black, no "unavailable" message. I brought up the diagnostics and got:

Tuner 0
Channel 544
Frequency 735000kHz
Mod. QAM256
Connection type RF2
Signal source Cable
Cablecard assoc. Cablecard 2
Signal strength -
Signal lock NO
Program lock NO
Search Complete NO
SNR 33db
RS Uncorrected 0
RS Corrected 0

I wonder what the "signal strength -" means. Maybe I should bring down one of our TW regular HD boxes and see if it is getting anything at these times.

At one point, after several seconds, PROGRAM LOCK and SEARCH COMPLETE went to YES and I popped back to live TV to see the UNAVAILABLE message. I went back to diagnostics and after a short period all went to YES and hitting Live TV again showed that the channel was up.

What should I do? Will the cable company have a clue how to address this? I have to wonder if it's just our box, our cablecards or the tuning adapter. This whole system seems like such an awful kludge because it has so many possible failure points. How TW will deal with the troubleshooting for this is beyond me.

My wife is extremely unhappy with this situation. $600 spent on a new Tivo and we get freaking black screens three or four times a day. And I was annoyed at rain outages every couple of months on DirecTV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:41 AM   #4184
oldshad

Smile Help with TWC & TIVO hookup in West Los Angeles

I am trying to get a correct equipment in order to have a compatible hardware with West Los Angeles TWC. If anyone has a successful setup please tell me about your experience and the type of equipment for TIVO and TWC are used.

Thanks

Tim
oldshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #4185
Xunaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshad View Post
I am trying to get a correct equipment in order to have a compatible hardware with West Los Angeles TWC. If anyone has a successful setup please tell me about your experience and the type of equipment for TIVO and TWC are used.

Thanks

Tim
Series 3 or TiVOHD, anything below this will not operate with a tuning adapter. Call your local, depending on their procedures 2 or 1 cable card and the tuning adapter.. its pretty simple
Xunaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:10 PM   #4186
KeithB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klankster View Post
This is starting to get old.

We keep having channels that are black when we change to them or we get a "this channel is temporarily unavailable" message.
You said it. I left voice mail messages for two area supervisors at the Charlotte TWC office this weekend and Monday, because a similar thing is happening to me. Plus, nobody in the TWC office can tell me exactly WHICH channels are SDV. The internet chat agent on Sunday didn't even understand what SDV or the Digital Variety tier were. If they can't tell me which HD channels are transmitted via SDV, how am I supposed to diagnose the cause of the problem?
KeithB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:52 PM   #4187
Klankster

Well, tonight I am cautiously optimistic.

This morning my wife calls me down to tell me that something is totally hosed on the Tivo -- She says there's a message on it that I need to look at. It's the "Tuning adapter is connected" message. Well, freaking DUH. It's been connected for two damn weeks. I OK the message. The Tivo guys need to address this, I think.

Another message comes up about a new channel having been added to our lineup. So I'm thinking, "what -- every time we get a new channel the TA hiccups and has to be OK'd???" This may be an issue for the Tivo software guys. I OK that and the channel banner pops up saying it's on CNNHD but the screen is black and it says something about "Channel not available" -- BS because we watch CNNHD all the time. I played around, switching channels around until CNNHD finally comes up.

I got fed up at this point and called TW to see if we could start troubleshooting our installation. I gave the woman massive detail and told her that I had to see a tech familiar with CableCards and TAs. They said a guy would be out here this afternoon in the 5-8PM timeframe!

Well, at around 5:30, TWO guys showed up. One was a fairly new guy getting trained, the other was an honest-to-god tech with experience. They started by changing channels on the Tivo as I explained the troubleshooting I had done so far and I started thinking, "the problem will never show up". Then it did. On several channels. The lead tech made a note of all the channels that wouldn't tune. Then he had the other guy hook up the meter to the line and move through the various frequencies. They found a bunch that were bad. They replaced the F-connector on that cable and retested. Still bad.

Went to the basement, where the line comes in, goes thru an amp and is split to the cable modem, 2 other digital TVs and 2 analog lines. They test the signal and it is bad there too. Tested on a couple of the splitter ports, there was a problem with it so they replaced it and a couple of the F-connectors there. While tech #2 is replacing connectors, the lead tech connects the Tivo feed directly to the output of the amp and we go back up to the Tivo, which is still having tuning issues.

Now we go out to the pole and I show him the setup, where the power company moved a pole about 15 years ago and left the TW junction box hanging in the middle of the span. They get a ladder and replace the drop to where our line goes underground to the house.

When all was done, it looks like the Tivo is now tuning OK -- I could not get it to fail. Checking the CableCards, I am now getting signal strength of 90-95 and SNRs of 35/36db where I was getting strengths of 81-85 and SNRs of 33db.

Like I said, I'm cautiously optimistic. I hope this will take care of most of our problems. I'm just really glad I had a competent technician show up.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #4188
Conard

Smile New HD Install

Western NY Finger Lakes TWC:
I bought and received a new HD unit last Tuesday 4/14/09. I hooked it up that night and scanned for channels to see if I could pull up some hd programming from the local channels. Smooth as silk.

Called TW for a cable card install that evening. They were here on Thursday the 16th and installed 1 M card and set it up in less than a half hour.
I have a contract for 2 cable boxes that runs out in Sept. so I had them hook up an HD cable box with HDMI cable to my new HD TV.
They told me the price would stay the same until my contract was up and then I should call for a pick up on one of the boxes.

As soon as they left I called to order their SDV box which arrived today, Tuesday 4/21. I had just arrived home from a hernia operation and was hesitant to get down on my hands and knees to hook it up but with a little help from a pain killer and blurry eyes I went for it.

When I checked the SDV screen on the TiVo it said the unit was not authorized. I called TW, they sent the unit a hit after setting it up on their end and all is good. I went through most of the HD and regular channels and things are working great.

After all the stories on this forum I was prepared to have to do some major tweaking and calling to get this thing up and running.
Now if the feeling of a horse kick on my abdomen goes this smooth, I'll be a happy camper.
Conard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #4189
xtoyz

All,

My tuning adapter has been giving me some serious grief lately. I received mine from the Rochester branch VERY early on (beginning of January?) I vaguely remember hearing about some units going out with old software, right around the time I received mine. For the most part I have had little issues, but lately I've been getting a lot of black screens. After hitting the power button multiple times, flipping between SDV and non SDV channels, and finally rebooting the TA by unplugging power I got it to come back. It's done it a few times right in the middle of recording multiple shows during primetime hours. Is it possible to update these things? Or to check current versions?

Thanks for any help,
Shawn
p.s. Loving my Tivo otherwise!!!
xtoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #4190
skasol

do we need the TA? I got a tivo installed 2 weeks ago in santa clarita california, and now I got me a 2nd one for my bedroom, the installer said that he is going to add the TA adaptor to both of them today when they come back to install it.

my tivo seems to work fine without the adapter so my question is , do I need the adapter?

it seems that too many people are having trouble with it.

thanks for your help in advance.
skasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #4191
xtoyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by skasol View Post
do we need the TA? I got a tivo installed 2 weeks ago in santa clarita california, and now I got me a 2nd one for my bedroom, the installer said that he is going to add the TA adaptor to both of them today when they come back to install it.

my tivo seems to work fine without the adapter so my question is , do I need the adapter?

it seems that too many people are having trouble with it.

thanks for your help in advance.
Depends on whether or not you're getting all of your channels? The tuning adapter allows the tivo to receive channels it normally would not be able to because TWC made them "switched digital video" channels.

Shawn
Old 04-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #4192
skasol

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtoyz View Post
Depends on whether or not you're getting all of your channels? The tuning adapter allows the tivo to receive channels it normally would not be able to because TWC made them "switched digital video" channels.

Shawn
thanks shawn,

the technician said it was up to me, is there a fee for the TA?
Old 04-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #4193
xtoyz

Quote:
thanks shawn,

the technician said it was up to me, is there a fee for the TA?
Sort of. Mine was free, and the tech ordered it when he came out to "install" my cable card. It was shipped direct to me, and I hooked up. TWC tried charging me an installation fee, which I argued was ridiculous since I installed it myself. Also,it came without a USB cable so I had to buy one myself.

I ended up getting out of the install fees plus I received a credit for my cable, but you may not. If he's doing the cable card at the same time it will probably be one flat fee.

Shawn
Old 04-23-2009, 03:35 PM   #4194
skasol

thanks he tried to say it was a monthly fee.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #4195
BruceShultes

Quote:

Shawn
Even if you are receiving all of your channels now, your local TWC branch may still start using SDV sometime in the future.
BruceShultes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #4196
xtoyz

Quote:
thanks he tried to say it was a monthly fee.
I guess you guys could be different? I definitely have a fee for my cable card, but now you're gonna make me go check my bill!!! I'm almost positive there is NOT a fee for the TA, then again I don't do the bills every month (that's what woman are for!)

Shawn
Old 04-23-2009, 05:39 PM   #4197
szurlo

Quote:
I guess you guys could be different? I definitely have a fee for my cable card, but now you're gonna make me go check my bill!!! I'm almost positive there is NOT a fee for the TA, then again I don't do the bills every month (that's what woman are for!)

Shawn
Cable cards are $2.50 per month here. The tech that put my TA in said that there would be no fee for the TA "for the first year". I asked him if that meant there would be a charge thereafter, and he said "maybe". It'd be nice to think that the TA would be free forever, but I seriously doubt that will be the case. The initial thinking for most of us would probably be that TWC "owes" us the TA for breaking our one-way host devices with SDV and thereby violating a few FCC rules and regs, but cablecards pretty much also exist because the cablecos have to provide them to satisfy many of the same FCC rules and regs, and we pay for those anyway. I'm not even sure why the TA is free for the first year. Has to be a huge money loser and I'm not sure how they could recoup it. Not sure the TAs will need to be in service for enough years for them to recover their costs via rental/lease/whatever-you-want-to-call-it fees.

Last edited by szurlo : 04-23-2009 at 05:49 PM.
szurlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:47 PM   #4198
skasol

my cable guy also stated that the TA would be free for the first year and that he didn't know the cost there after
Old 04-23-2009, 10:46 PM   #4199
gsdaddy

I just purchased a Tivo HD and Time Warner Cable (TWC) told me that they don't support CableCards and that all I need is a SDV box. After reading though the posts on this site, I come to the conclusion that I still need CableCard(s) to pickup digital & HD signals. I called TWC back and asked a different person for 2 CableCards and a SDV box. She informed me that the SDV switch is built into the CableCards. I don't think is correct and I have already ordered the SDV switch from the TWC website. I have an appointment this Saturday for CableCard installation. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
gsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:02 PM   #4200
skasol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdaddy View Post
I just purchased a Tivo HD and Time Warner Cable (TWC) told me that they don't support CableCards and that all I need is a SDV box. After reading though the posts on this site, I come to the conclusion that I still need CableCard(s) to pickup digital & HD signals. I called TWC back and asked a different person for 2 CableCards and a SDV box. She informed me that the SDV switch is built into the CableCards. I don't think is correct and I have already ordered the SDV switch from the TWC website. I have an appointment this Saturday for CableCard installation. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
try to get their multi stream cards.