Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-04-2009, 01:08 PM   #4081
59er
TiVotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfischetti View Post
So the new HD channels were added in Southern Manhattan today, and when i woke up, i noticed they were there.

I went into my TiVo's Channel list and added the new channels, all of which had no information because the Tivo didn't know that TWCNYC-S offered those channels.

Much to my surprise, after a few minutes of adding the channels, program data and channel names started appearing in the guide data. I would have figured that Tivo/Tribune would need to inform the Tivo of the newly offered channels, but i guess it doesn't.

I still have not received a "new message" telling me of the new channels, but everything looks to be in working order.

Impressed.
You'll probably get "notified" once the guide data has been fully processed. I was notified of the new channels yesterday, but didn't have them available until maybe 4:30 AM.
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #4082
StarSage

Note Re: Tuning Adapter Usage for TWC in Rochester, NY

Let me know what you find out. I'm moving to Rochester in the Spring and was hoping to buy a TiVo HD myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajergo View Post
Please reply to this post if you are using Time Warner Cable in Rochester, NY and have successfully used a Tuning Adapter for SDV channels with a TiVo HD box. Also let me know if you have had problems with this. I am about to purchase a TiVo HD box and want to make sure that there are no problems with getting Time Warner (specifically in Rochester, NY) to come out and install the Cable Cards along with hooking up the Tuning Adapter.

I understand you have to order the Tuning Adapter by mail first before the TWC installer comes to install a 'M' cable card.

Thanks in advance for your help.

A.J.

StarSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #4083
jaming1982

I just got off the phone with TWC and the CSR was actually pretty helpful. She actually knew what a cable card was and when I told her that I wanted an M Card she told me that the M Cards is all they give out now. She also ordered a tuning adapter for me b/c she said those would be rolling out on Monday the 9th. So if anyone in the RDU area looking to get a tuning adapter i would give them a call to have them send it to you.
jaming1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #4084
ljcaswell

TA In Rochester, NY

I put in my request for a Tuning Adapter about 2 weeks ago. Has anyone in the Rochester, NY area received one yet?
ljcaswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:14 PM   #4085
ajergo
A.J.

TA in Rochester, NY

To ljcaswell -
Not sure if you can find posts on this bulletin board by post number, but mgerenser put a good entry about this in post # 2094. He is in Rochester and just had two Tivo boxes hooked up last month (January/2009). The post date was 2/4/2009 under the SDV FAQ, Page 70 of TiVo Series 3 HDTV DVR's thread.
You can also try searching threads by "TiVo HD with Tuning Adapter in Rochester, NY". He said that he asked the Time Warner installer who put the cable cards in to request that the TA got sent to him and it only took 2 to 4 days (last month in January).

How did you request the TA? Did you do this via the Time Warner web site?
I just submitted one via the web site myself last week. Not sure how long it will take to get it in the mail.

Let me know if you do get this TA in the mail.
ajergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #4086
mpastreich

TWCNYC Still at it

After everything working for ~ one month, my service broke again Saturday night Feb 1st. All our channels (except NY1 and OTA channels they are rebroadcasting) go out. Every other channel is black, often (but not always) with a "Channel not available. You may need CableCARD decoders to view this channel. Contact your cable provider for more information."

I've tried rebooting the box, no joy, doesn't help.

The CCs say they are Authorized (Two Scientific Atlanta s-cards in a TiVo Series 3).

I've got another call scheduled for a tech to come out this coming Friday, and I'm trying anything I can think of to help diagnose where the problem is before they get here (they seem useless).

Is there any way I can check wether the signal strength on one of the channels is an issue from the TiVo?
Is there any way I can check if the cards have both spontaneously gone bad together?
Is there anything else I should have ready for the tech (and supposedly field manager) thats coming out this Friday?

As far as I'm concerned this is their last chance. I'd like it to work. It would be simpler to keep them, but if they don't get this working I don't really need cable. There may be things I'll miss seeing that I want to, but between their draconian CCI policy on everything but local OTA, their overpriced service, and the rise of DigitalTV, AmazonVideo and Hulu, I figure I can still get all my TV Viewing and save lots of $$$ a year.

Has anyone in the NYC area decided to drop Cable and switch to OTA supplemented with DSL delivered Video?
mpastreich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #4087
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpastreich View Post
After everything working for ~ one month, my service broke again Saturday night Feb 1st. All our channels (except NY1 and OTA channels they are rebroadcasting) go out. Every other channel is black, often (but not always) with a "Channel not available. You may need CableCARD decoders to view this channel. Contact your cable provider for more information."

I've tried rebooting the box, no joy, doesn't help.

The CCs say they are Authorized (Two Scientific Atlanta s-cards in a TiVo Series 3).

I've got another call scheduled for a tech to come out this coming Friday, and I'm trying anything I can think of to help diagnose where the problem is before they get here (they seem useless).

Is there any way I can check wether the signal strength on one of the channels is an issue from the TiVo?
Is there any way I can check if the cards have both spontaneously gone bad together?
Is there anything else I should have ready for the tech (and supposedly field manager) thats coming out this Friday?

As far as I'm concerned this is their last chance. I'd like it to work. It would be simpler to keep them, but if they don't get this working I don't really need cable. There may be things I'll miss seeing that I want to, but between their draconian CCI policy on everything but local OTA, their overpriced service, and the rise of DigitalTV, AmazonVideo and Hulu, I figure I can still get all my TV Viewing and save lots of $$$ a year.

Has anyone in the NYC area decided to drop Cable and switch to OTA supplemented with DSL delivered Video?

What happens if you reboot the S3... complete power cycle.. pull the plug and plug back in after 30 sec. Do the CC's still say authorized? If you go to the cablecard menu and 'test channels' on each cablecard... are the results the same? 'Every other channel' is suspicious... Is only one cablecard misbehaving or both..
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #4088
mpastreich

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
What happens if you reboot the S3... complete power cycle.. pull the plug and plug back in after 30 sec. Do the CC's still say authorized? If you go to the cablecard menu and 'test channels' on each cablecard... are the results the same? 'Every other channel' is suspicious... Is only one cablecard misbehaving or both..
I haven't tried pulling the plug, just the "reboot" option from the menu.

Every other channel = Every channel that is not (rebroadcast OTA channel + NY1) comes in black.

I tested both cards via the "test channels" menu and both received the exact same set of channels.

Sorry for the confusing wording, but its definitely both cards behaving in the exact same way.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #4089
SCSIRAID

Quote:

Every other channel = Every channel that is not (rebroadcast OTA channel + NY1) comes in black.

I tested both cards via the "test channels" menu and both received the exact same set of channels.

Sorry for the confusing wording, but its definitely both cards behaving in the exact same way.
Id pull the plug and restart and see what happens... but it sounds like the cableco simply has your account misconfigured.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #4090
ljcaswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajergo View Post
To ljcaswell -
Not sure if you can find posts on this bulletin board by post number, but mgerenser put a good entry about this in post # 2094. He is in Rochester and just had two Tivo boxes hooked up last month (January/2009). The post date was 2/4/2009 under the SDV FAQ, Page 70 of TiVo Series 3 HDTV DVR's thread.
You can also try searching threads by "TiVo HD with Tuning Adapter in Rochester, NY". He said that he asked the Time Warner installer who put the cable cards in to request that the TA got sent to him and it only took 2 to 4 days (last month in January).

How did you request the TA? Did you do this via the Time Warner web site?
I just submitted one via the web site myself last week. Not sure how long it will take to get it in the mail.

Let me know if you do get this TA in the mail.
Thanks. I spoke to TWC and they said they won't send one until my Cablecard install happens this week. I was hoping to get it all set up in one day so I had all my channels, but guess I'll have to wait a week or so.

My first Cablecard install was cancelled because my new refurb Tivo HD decided to start rebooting over and over again on the day of my install.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #4091
mpastreich

Quote:
Id pull the plug and restart and see what happens... but it sounds like the cableco simply has your account misconfigured.
I'm inclined to agree, but I'm surprised that they couldn't figure that out the first couple of times they've been out here.

I'm also surprised that everything was fine until around the middle of November (2+ years at an old location, and 4-5 months at the new location same CCs), then it stabilized and was good through all of January, and then it went completely "broken" to the state its in now.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #4092
jeremyz
BillingInfoReceived

Quote:
I'm inclined to agree, but I'm surprised that they couldn't figure that out the first couple of times they've been out here.

I'm also surprised that everything was fine until around the middle of November (2+ years at an old location, and 4-5 months at the new location same CCs), then it stabilized and was good through all of January, and then it went completely "broken" to the state its in now.
Check this thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=417886

The problem is annoying, but easily resolved. TWCNYC knows about the issue, and knows how to fix it. Unfortunately, I don't think they know what causes it.
jeremyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #4093
Lorcane

Well, I'm stuck in an infinite loop it seems. The customer service people say I need a technician and the technician says I need a customer service person that knows something about cablecards. The only good news is the last tech(5th so far) they sent out to my house had done dozens of cable card installs in the Austin area. He took the time to look through all the cards in the office and bring me out the mythical M-Card

Sadly, the customer service personal was unable to activate the card correctly so I don't get any of my premium channels. I have another tech visit for this Friday, earliest they could schedule me and he is suppose to check the firmware.

Anyone know what the current firmware number is for a Scientific Atlantic M-Card? I'm in South Texas if the area makes a difference.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:49 AM   #4094
BruceShultes

If the only thing you are missing is your Premium channels, it usually means that the cable company has not correctly linked the Premium channels to your account.

Many of the cable companies seem to use software that treats each cable card almost like a seperate account where they need to link each seperate package you have to that particular card.
BruceShultes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #4095
ljcaswell

Just thought I'd post a positive experience installing a cable card from TWC Rochester, NY.

The installer showed up with an M Card, even though I was told on the phone all they had was S Cards, so that was good news.

He put the card in, made a phone call, and about 3 minutes later, I had all my channels (except the SDV ones).

The whole experience took less than 10 minutes.

Now I'm just waiting for my Tuning Adapter.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #4096
ajergo
A.J.

To ljcaswell -

I am in the Rochester, NY area also. Glad to hear that all went well with your cable card install.

I will be scheduling an Appointment for TW to install a cable card also ... probably next week. By any chance did you get the name of the installer; although I doubt they would let me ask for a specific person to do my install.

Do you know if you can order the Tuning Adapter (TA) before the cable guy comes to install the Cable card? There is a link on their web site for ordering a TA, which I filled out about 10 or 12 days ago, but it has yet to arrive in the mail. Did they tell you the TA would be shipped via UPS to you? Somebody else from Rochester NY (think it was mgerenser) had this done for 2 TiVo's at once last month and he said it only took 2 to 4 days for the TA's to arrive via UPS after his cable cards was installed.

Which TW channels are you unable to get without the tuning adapter now?
I assume you can get all the major HD network channels without the TA; i.e: 1007, 1008, 1010 and 1013?

Thanks for the post.
A.J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljcaswell View Post
Just thought I'd post a positive experience installing a cable card from TWC Rochester, NY.

The installer showed up with an M Card, even though I was told on the phone all they had was S Cards, so that was good news.

He put the card in, made a phone call, and about 3 minutes later, I had all my channels (except the SDV ones).

The whole experience took less than 10 minutes.

Now I'm just waiting for my Tuning Adapter.

ajergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #4097
ljcaswell

I think it was Scott (but don't quote me on that). He had done Cablecard installs before, but said that he wasn't a fan of cablecards because they caused a lot of problems for him. However, he WAS a Tivo fan and said that his Mom had one and loved it.

I have yet to receive my TA. The CSR told me it would be shipped as soon as the install was done. The technician said to give it a day or two and call to make sure it was on the way.

I get all the major networks in HD, but not much else at the moment. I still get basic cable obviously, so I'm not missing many shows, just the HD part.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:59 AM   #4098
Diacritical

Quote:

Just had the exact thing this morning... no ECM or EMMs being received and getting local channels (plus TBS) fine, but nothing else. Asked the guy on the phone for a hit to be sent and it was all back in a few seconds.

I have not needed this for years -- not since the first few months of install in late 2006/early 2007.
Diacritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #4099
DealDuderino
TiVo Enthusiast!

Southern Manhattan. I'm considering getting service now that they finally stepped up the HD offering. Would anyone be so kind as to post which channels are missing by not having a tuning adapter?
DealDuderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:25 AM   #4100
jeremyz
BillingInfoReceived

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealDuderino View Post
Southern Manhattan. I'm considering getting service now that they finally stepped up the HD offering. Would anyone be so kind as to post which channels are missing by not having a tuning adapter?
No tuning adapters necessary in NYC.
jeremyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #4101
seggers

My TA arrived last night. My truck roll is scheduled for this Sunday to install 2 S type cards and the TA, and take away the HD DVR!

Good times.

Can someone point me in the directions for the cable install guy please.

Seggers
seggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:55 PM   #4102
ShaneF

Time Warner WNY:

Received my tuning adapter out of the blue today (shipped via FedEx). I was under the impression that they had to roll a truck to set it up so I expected it would be delivered by a clueless tech.

2 S-card cable cards have been installed and working great for months now.

Unboxed it (it's huge! much bulkier than expected). Took a quick look at the instruction sheet, hooked it up and.... nothing. Decided to power cycle the TiVo and everything works!

Actually I had a moment of fleeting frustration. The first SDV channel I tried was VSHD. It looked great for 10 seconds and then the picture froze in pixelation although the sound was fine. I was ready to rip the new TA out but then I heard the announcer of the live bicycle race on Vs apologize for their picture problems. Haha, what are the odds.
ShaneF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:17 AM   #4103
PumiceT
Mentally Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneF View Post
Took a quick look at the instruction sheet, hooked it up and.... nothing. Decided to power cycle the TiVo and everything works!
By "power cycle," do you just mean "restart," or did you unplug the TiVo's power cable, too?
PumiceT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:49 AM   #4104
ShaneF

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumiceT View Post
By "power cycle," do you just mean "restart," or did you unplug the TiVo's power cable, too?
I just did a restart from the TiVo menu, I guess power cycle wasn't really accurate.
ShaneF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:38 AM   #4105
PumiceT
Mentally Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneF View Post
I just did a restart from the TiVo menu, I guess power cycle wasn't really accurate.
I was just checking because I was having similar problems getting the Tuning Adapter to work.

Ends up, I overlooked a pretty important cable—the Cable In on the Tuning Adapter! LOL

After a TiVo reboot, everything seems to be working fine.

I did notice that sometimes a channel will be "tuned" in, but not actually receiving anything. That is, TiVo will be sitting on that channel, but nothing is being shown or heard, just black silence. Changing to another channel and then back, the original channel will show up. Not a big deal, I just hope it never happens when TiVo is trying to record in such a situation.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:16 PM   #4106
m_jonis

Quote:
I was just checking because I was having similar problems getting the Tuning Adapter to work.

Ends up, I overlooked a pretty important cable—the Cable In on the Tuning Adapter! LOL

After a TiVo reboot, everything seems to be working fine.

I did notice that sometimes a channel will be "tuned" in, but not actually receiving anything. That is, TiVo will be sitting on that channel, but nothing is being shown or heard, just black silence. Changing to another channel and then back, the original channel will show up. Not a big deal, I just hope it never happens when TiVo is trying to record in such a situation.
Oh trust me, it'll happen and it'll be a big deal because you'll get either nothing (it won't record) or a few seconds of the channel and then it'll end.

I've had several programs on SDV do that to me lately.
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #4107
PumiceT
Mentally Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_jonis View Post
Oh trust me, it'll happen and it'll be a big deal because you'll get either nothing (it won't record) or a few seconds of the channel and then it'll end.

That is not encouraging news!!
Old 02-19-2009, 01:04 PM   #4108
seggers

Quote:
That is not encouraging news!!
At least with the TiVo you can go back into the list and force record that episode later (assuming it's on again of course).

The crappy HD DVR doesn't do that.

Seggers
seggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #4109
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_jonis View Post

Ive seen that only once.... You may only know it if you catch it in the act (which I did). If a digital channel recording is totally blank, it will not remain in the Now Playing List and the only way you will find out is if you notice it missing or if you go thru the recording history and find a 'failed to record because video signal was missing' (something like that) explanation.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #4110
PumiceT
Mentally Drunk

Quote:
Ive seen that only once.... You may only know it if you catch it in the act (which I did). If a digital channel recording is totally blank, it will not remain in the Now Playing List and the only way you will find out is if you notice it missing or if you go thru the recording history and find a 'failed to record because video signal was missing' (something like that) explanation.
I don't think I explained it clearly enough.

The one time (so far) that I saw it happen, it was on a channel that I DO get. I merely changed the channel down, then back up, and the channel began streaming. It seems that if the TiVo stays on a channel too long, the channel will stop streaming. Chances are the TiVo will need to change channels to begin recording the next program, but if you record the same channel for a long time, I have a feeling it'll lose the stream—recording black silence.