TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #4021
ljcaswell

Great. Thanks.

I've got an install scheduled for next Friday for 2 x S Cards and a Tuning Adapter.

The TWC CSR told me that I wouldn't get any new channels with the Cablecards, but after I corrected him about the tuning adapter, he seemed satisfied that I'd be ok. Of course, he also said that I should be Ok because one card was for up communication and one card was for down communication
ljcaswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #4022
dave13077

I am also in Time Warner CNY (Syracuse Division)

Does anyone have a list of the SDV channels? Also is it just HD channels that are currently on SDV or are there any SD channels as well?

I am going to set up my 2 Tivo HD's this weekend and it might be a little bit before they get me the adapters. I don't have any HDTV's so if only HD channels are SDV then it really doesn't affect me.
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #4023
notting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentMunroe View Post
I don't know if it's a corporate policy, but we have the same problem here in Rochester - everything except for the HD locals are copy protected.
Yeah, the escalation rep came back to me and said that it was their policy due to "affiliate's request and due to regulation guidelines" and they won't be changing/removing it at this time. They're within their rights, but it's irritating as hell.
notting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:01 PM   #4024
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Dave View Post
I live in the Los Angeles area and Time Warner in December added several HD channels such as USA Network HD, SciFi HD, etc....

My problem is that all the channels state 'To Be Announced' for the guide.
Tivo appears to know what the channels are since they are listed properly on the Guide listing, but there is no data.

I cannot manually record any shows - the record button does nothing and setting up a manual season pass automatically gets removed every time the guide data is refreshed.
Huh? I am in LA and am getting those same channels and see all the guide data (show name, description, etc.) right now (for USA HD and SciFi HD too)

I suspect this issue went away for you, maybe the guide data was still indexing on your system or something?
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:01 AM   #4025
Lorcane

Anyone know why my cable cards can't seem to get the channel map update? Both cards are activated and paired correctly. I'm receiving my premium channels and encrypted channels just fine. I am still having channels such as SCIFI showing ESPN and E showing USA and TNTHD showing ESPNHD. I have a tech coming out Monday with 2 new cards. It seems something is always happening either Thursday or Friday, might be when my local TWC office updates all cable card data. (shrug)
Old 01-25-2009, 08:58 AM   #4026
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcane View Post
Anyone know why my cable cards can't seem to get the channel map update? Both cards are activated and paired correctly. I'm receiving my premium channels and encrypted channels just fine. I am still having channels such as SCIFI showing ESPN and E showing USA and TNTHD showing ESPNHD. I have a tech coming out Monday with 2 new cards. It seems something is always happening either Thursday or Friday, might be when my local TWC office updates all cable card data. (shrug)

You might try a complete power cycle. Pull the plug... count to 10... plug it back in. That will insure that the current channel map will be loaded.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:47 AM   #4027
ABO401

Time Warner NYC: frozen image/dropped signal

We have been (trying to) using/trying to use an HDTivo box in Manhattan since the middle of January. The problem is this:

At times, the signal pixellates (usually on an HD broadcast) and then freezes. The image will then freeze, and the Tivo will not re-establish the signal. (As a control, the two set-top boxes in our house, one of which is HD, have no pixellation probs).

The only way to re-establish the signal is to move both tuners to a new channel. The signal will then be there when you re-tune to the lost channel. This, of course, costs you whatever buffer you had built up.

This happens both when viewing live TV, and on recorded programs. It doesn't happen frequently (approximately once a week, generally, but as often as once a day on HD ESPN and HD TNT), but it makes the whole system very unreliable. When it does, it's frustrating, because there's no recourse (i.e., no way to recover what you've lost).

Time Warner insists that its cable cards are fine. Tivo insists that the cable cards are not fine (but will, at this point, replace the box if need be because we've already tried so many times with Time Warner). N.B. Time Warner is scheduled to arrive later today to replace what they insist is a properly functioning cable card. Score one for the squeaky wheel.

It seems to me (and I profess to knowing nothing technical about this device, or anything else north of a stapler) that the card isn't decoding the signal 100% of the time, and that for whatever reason, when the card gets quirky, Tivo quickly gives up on the channel and then the software presumes that this is because we are not supposed to be receiving the channel, and doesn't bother to re-establish a connection. That is, it is a problem with both the card, and with the Tivo software.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?

It's also worth mentioning that we have replaced the hard drive in the Tivo with a much bigger one. So it could be the hard drive, but it's a brand new one, so I think that's unlikely.

Additionally, Time Warner tested our signal strength at multiple points (entry for the building, entry for the apartment, spots along the wire, and just before the TV). In fact, they complimented us on our strong signal strength (why this is a source of pride escapes me).

Oh Tivo community, please help us. We are ready to pull out the rabbit ears again.
ABO401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #4028
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABO401 View Post
We have been (trying to) using/trying to use an HDTivo box in Manhattan since the middle of January. The problem is this:

At times, the signal pixellates (usually on an HD broadcast) and then freezes. The image will then freeze, and the Tivo will not re-establish the signal. (As a control, the two set-top boxes in our house, one of which is HD, have no pixellation probs).

The only way to re-establish the signal is to move both tuners to a new channel. The signal will then be there when you re-tune to the lost channel. This, of course, costs you whatever buffer you had built up.

This happens both when viewing live TV, and on recorded programs. It doesn't happen frequently (approximately once a week, generally, but as often as once a day on HD ESPN and HD TNT), but it makes the whole system very unreliable. When it does, it's frustrating, because there's no recourse (i.e., no way to recover what you've lost).

Time Warner insists that its cable cards are fine. Tivo insists that the cable cards are not fine (but will, at this point, replace the box if need be because we've already tried so many times with Time Warner). N.B. Time Warner is scheduled to arrive later today to replace what they insist is a properly functioning cable card. Score one for the squeaky wheel.

It seems to me (and I profess to knowing nothing technical about this device, or anything else north of a stapler) that the card isn't decoding the signal 100% of the time, and that for whatever reason, when the card gets quirky, Tivo quickly gives up on the channel and then the software presumes that this is because we are not supposed to be receiving the channel, and doesn't bother to re-establish a connection. That is, it is a problem with both the card, and with the Tivo software.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?

It's also worth mentioning that we have replaced the hard drive in the Tivo with a much bigger one. So it could be the hard drive, but it's a brand new one, so I think that's unlikely.

Additionally, Time Warner tested our signal strength at multiple points (entry for the building, entry for the apartment, spots along the wire, and just before the TV). In fact, they complimented us on our strong signal strength (why this is a source of pride escapes me).

Oh Tivo community, please help us. We are ready to pull out the rabbit ears again.
What does 'DVR Diagnostics' show for signal strength, SNR and RS Corrected and Uncorrected counters? Tune the effected channels for 15-20 mins and then go in and get the stats. SNR should be higher than 33db. RS Uncorrected should be zero or very small number.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:07 PM   #4029
ABO401

Re: Time Warner NYC Frozen Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
What does 'DVR Diagnostics' show for signal strength, SNR and RS Corrected and Uncorrected counters? Tune the effected channels for 15-20 mins and then go in and get the stats. SNR should be higher than 33db. RS Uncorrected should be zero or very small number.
Those numbers look good: SNR is 35 DBR on the affected channel, and RS Uncorrected and Corrected both say 0.
ABO401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:38 PM   #4030
LA Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Huh? I am in LA and am getting those same channels and see all the guide data (show name, description, etc.) right now (for USA HD and SciFi HD too)

I suspect this issue went away for you, maybe the guide data was still indexing on your system or something?
I looked at my guide closer this weekend and I noticed it seemed off from what Zap2it.com's guide was listing my channels.
I had 'HD SCI FI Network' instead of 'SCIFIHD'.
I tried to restart my guided setup and re-entered all my settings.
After downloading all the guide data again, it worked and is now picking up all the channels and guide data properly.

I'm not sure how the Guide got out of whacked out, but it works fine now after restarting the Guided setup.
LA Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #4031
dmband

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post

Does anyone have a list of the SDV channels? Also is it just HD channels that are currently on SDV or are there any SD channels as well?

I am going to set up my 2 Tivo HD's this weekend and it might be a little bit before they get me the adapters. I don't have any HDTV's so if only HD channels are SDV then it really doesn't affect me.
i don't have a list
but there are SD and HD channels
however i got a TA today (CNY - Syracuse) delivered out of the blue
so check into it you might be able to get one fast
dmband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:37 PM   #4032
bitbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post

See http://www.timewarnercable.com/Custo...&Image1=submit

channels labelled "not available on cable card" (in red) are the SDV channels
bitbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #4033
PilotSteveB

Problem with Pairing and Validating CC in Del Rio,TX

Last Friday I had my cable card installed in my TiVo HD (Motorola M-Card). I found out that I was only the second person in the entire area to have a cable card installed in a TiVo, and the previos installation never worked!!!

After 45 min, they were able to pair the card. However, I was not recieving all the channels. After investigating this more, it turns out that the channels I could not recieved all had a CCI byte of 0x02. Mine card validation was set to 0x00. (conditional access screen read "Val:V 0x00")

They came back out to try to solve this, but seem to not know how. Now it appears my card is no longer paired (conditional access screen now reads "Val:? 0x00"). They know that it has to be done at the headend, but don't know what exactly to do. That, and the headend is about 150 miles away in Laredo, TX. The service people seem very motivated to fix the problem.

Is there anyone who can help me to help them?

Thanks,
Steve in Del Rio,TX
PilotSteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:55 PM   #4034
Lorcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotSteveB View Post
Last Friday I had my cable card installed in my TiVo HD (Motorola M-Card). I found out that I was only the second person in the entire area to have a cable card installed in a TiVo, and the previos installation never worked!!!

After 45 min, they were able to pair the card. However, I was not recieving all the channels. After investigating this more, it turns out that the channels I could not recieved all had a CCI byte of 0x02. Mine card validation was set to 0x00. (conditional access screen read "Val:V 0x00")

They came back out to try to solve this, but seem to not know how. Now it appears my card is no longer paired (conditional access screen now reads "Val:? 0x00"). They know that it has to be done at the headend, but don't know what exactly to do. That, and the headend is about 150 miles away in Laredo, TX. The service people seem very motivated to fix the problem.

Thanks,
Steve in Del Rio,TX
You have to get lucky and get a phone tech that KNOWS how to install cable cards correctly. Took me 4 service calls before that happen for me. Sadly my cards are missed up again due to TWC thinking one of them was bad, so I'm in your same boat... 2nd service call is on Friday. I've got my fingers crossed that a trained cable card tech is there.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:11 PM   #4035
bobrt6676

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotSteveB View Post

Thanks,
Steve in Del Rio,TX
I had an M-card installed Sunday. No digital stations,HBO,Showtime, or HD channels other than local HD. Techs first C-Card. no one at homebase to help. Rescheduled for Monday to fix. Mondays Tech had never been on a CC call. No help, called TW cablecard line. They do not see M-card suggest replacing card. New appt. for Tuesday to replace. Local tech calls, well the M-card won't work until the adapters come. After I explained the world of CC's, SDV, and Tuning adapters he decided to get someone else with more knowledge to help me. Finally Aaron from Cincinnati tech office called, researched and found the EMM's to the card were 6 instead of 60. He made the correction and all stations are now present. When I told him the CC status was "Not Staged" that seemed to help him as to where to look. I hope this helps!
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:14 PM   #4036
PilotSteveB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcane View Post
You have to get lucky and get a phone tech that KNOWS how to install cable cards correctly.
.... I've got my fingers crossed that a trained cable card tech is there.

I really don't think any of the tech's in my area are trained. The guy that was at my house on Saturday afternoon was supposedly the supervisor. He as much as admitted that nobody really had any idea of how to get these working, particularly in TiVo. He gave me his personal cell phone number and did follow up yesterday afternoon that they were trying to sort things out at the headend.

So I am with you, praying for a miracle that somebody will be smart enough to figure this out in my area.

Steve
PilotSteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #4037
n64ra

I just called TWC here in Austin, TX.

They want to charge a $41.26 install fee! I didn't think it would be more than half that.

Then I asked if the cards were SCards or MCards. She went to ask then returned to say they were all SCards!

Does TWC Austin really only have SCards? Anybody here gotten an MCard from them? I really don't want to pay for two SCards. How much was your install fee? When was your installation date?
n64ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:08 PM   #4038
n64ra

Well, looks like lots of us are getting screwed with the $40 install fee. What about the SCard vs MCard availability in Austin?
Old 01-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #4039
ChrisFix

Here in Raleigh-Durham NC...TWC gets $42.95 for cable card install, but they only charge $9 to install a digital STB (or DVR) which you can also pick up for self install. It is anti-competitive pricing at its finest. My CC install took literally less than 10 mins...and half of that was the installer trying to figure out which number he needed to read to the head-end person on the phone.

I was also told by 3 different sales & customer service reps that they absolutely didn't have M-Cards (because they are incompatible with SDV!!), but the installer arrived with both M and S cards, and the M card worked perfectly for both tuners.

When I tried to install a Tivo HD a year ago (wound up returning and canceling TWC CC install)...TWC wanted $42.95 Per Card (and really only had S cards at that point).

Last edited by ChrisFix : 01-30-2009 at 08:00 AM.
ChrisFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:54 AM   #4040
ShaneF

I think I would have hit the roof had I been charged by TW western NY for my cable card install back in the fall. I knew more than the 3rd party tech who did the install. The only thing he knew that I didn't was the phone number to call to complete the activation.

Still no call from TW to schedule the tuning adapter install. It was supposed to happen in "early 2009". "Early" apparently is open to interpretation. Meanwhile more and more HD channels appear to be heading the SDV video, the latest being Versus.
ShaneF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:19 AM   #4041
szurlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneF View Post
Still no call from TW to schedule the tuning adapter install. It was supposed to happen in "early 2009". "Early" apparently is open to interpretation.
The response I got from TWC said January. Apparently "January" is open to interpretation as well, as I still don't have a TA either.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:02 AM   #4042
jmaditto

Twc - Sc

Quote:
Originally Posted by szurlo View Post
The response I got from TWC said January. Apparently "January" is open to interpretation as well, as I still don't have a TA either.

I'm ping'ng the engineer again...will post what I get back. Noticed Murrells Inlet has TA so I see no reason for us to get one now too.
jmaditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #4043
Carfan

Question Tuning adapter - how long to acquire channels?

Anyone have a feel for how long it should take for the TA to acquire the channels it needs to work? My diagnostic page shows it is available and operational, but channels not downloaded.

Waited 2 plus hours last night, no joy.

Anything I should be looking for on my end?

Thanks
Old 01-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #4044
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carfan View Post
Anyone have a feel for how long it should take for the TA to acquire the channels it needs to work? My diagnostic page shows it is available and operational, but channels not downloaded.

Waited 2 plus hours last night, no joy.

Anything I should be looking for on my end?

Thanks
Try removing the USB plug from the back of the TiVo and then re-inserting.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #4045
n64ra

Add this to my list of questions...

Anyone in Austin got a TA from TWC?
Old 01-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #4046
Mindflux
TiVowned

Quote:
Originally Posted by n64ra View Post

Yeah, just about EVERYONE in Austin with a TiVo has a TA by now.
Mindflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #4047
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Quote:

Take a look at this thread:
Time Warner Austin tuning adapter
Old 01-30-2009, 01:26 PM   #4048
jrm01

Quote:
Well, looks like lots of us are getting screwed with the $40 install fee.
TW reported to the FCC that their average truck roll fee to install cablecards was $23.95.

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/r...ent=6520191566
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:06 PM   #4049
n64ra

holy hell! To average out my $40 means somebody is getting it installed for free because TWC would never lie...
Old 01-30-2009, 11:16 PM   #4050
marano

Does anyone know if Time Warner NJ/NYC has deployed SDV? and if so any word on the Tuning Adapter? I have been having intermittent channel black outs ever since I received the new HD channels they recently deployed, some days the channels there and other days they are not. Over the last three weeks I noticed that Battlestar Galactica and Star Wars (which are both on the newly deployed HD channels) did not record two out of the three times they were on even though they appeared in the TO DO list, tonight I was home when they did not record and noticed that both SciFiHD and Cartoon Network HD were blacked out (SciFi and Cartoon Standard Def also seems blacked out). Could this be SDV or could both of my cable cards be acting up?
marano is offline   Reply With Quote