Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-16-2009, 09:57 AM   #3991
PumiceT
Mentally Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesch View Post
Thanks for the advice. I did read the thread and assumed I would need the cable cards which is why I was so confused when the Time Warner rep told me I would not need the cards.
If you said you'd be renting one of their boxes, they were right—that box does NOT need a CableCARD. Time Warner reps know very little about TiVo, and even less about TiVo S3 / HD / HD-XL, so they probably assumed you'd be running it like an older TiVo (much like a VCR—using the composite video and stereo audio inputs).
PumiceT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #3992
eddieb187

TWC came to install a CC in my new Tivo HD today.
Guy was here for 4 hours. Missing HD channels issue.
After calling a TWC tech and a Tivo tech I'm still missing 13 HD channels.
Premiums like HBO HD and Max HD and HD networks I get.
The ones missing are the new HD channels just added in the past few months.
DiscHD, CNN HD, Sci HD, Speed Hd, FoodHD, TLC HD...
One SA multi stream CC is installed. Paired fine and is activated.
No one seems to know what the problem is.
I live in upstate NY, (TWC Hudson Valley) and SDV is not implemented here yet so that's not the problem.

Anyone else run into this kind of issue with their install?

How can I get this resolved?
eddieb187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:04 AM   #3993
Lorcane

New Issues

Read below to see my first problem. Well I guess I'm still having the same problem but now different channels are being affected. For example, Thursday night I was watching TNTHD channel 893 in my lineup, and yesterday sometime while I was at work, TiVo got a lineup change and now TNTHD tunes to the VOD channel for TWC. Was on the phone for an hour with a lvl 3 tech and could never resolve the problem. Anyone know how the Tivo tells the CC how to tune to a station? I find it interesting that I had a change of problems after my Tivo received its daily update. What OOB lvls should i see on my DVR diagnostic menu when I'm looking at each CC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcane View Post
I'm having some strange issues with my TivoHD and how the 2 cable cards work. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how it was fixed. I have about 10 channels or so that don't tune in the correct station. For example, SCFI for me is channel 450, but when I go to that station I'm getting ESPN; however, ESPN is still tuning in on the correct channel. Also the History channel is completely black. When I look at the Cable Card menu it shows a signal and that my decryption is working, yet I don't get anything on the screen. And another thing, according to the official channel listings in the RGV area I'm not suppose to get ESPN2HD with Cable Cards, however, it is tuning in just fine on both cards. All my problems started in Mid-December when my local area started to reorganize a few of the channels and it seems they added a few more sports channels to the sports package.

Last edited by Lorcane : 01-17-2009 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Added question about OOB lvls
Lorcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #3994
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcane View Post
Read below to see my first problem. Well I guess I'm still having the same problem but now different channels are being affected. For example, Thursday night I was watching TNTHD channel 893 in my lineup, and yesterday sometime while I was at work, TiVo got a lineup change and now TNTHD tunes to the VOD channel for TWC. Was on the phone for an hour with a lvl 3 tech and could never resolve the problem. Anyone know how the Tivo tells the CC how to tune to a station? I find it interesting that I had a change of problems after my Tivo received its daily update. What OOB lvls should i see on my DVR diagnostic menu when I'm looking at each CC?

My OOB level is 26db. Have you done a complete power down of the TiVo and reboot? Ive seen the channel map get messed up after the cableco makes changes that seem to get resolved with a power cycle. It happened to me last week after they replaced an existing channel with Bravo. Power cycle and all was fine.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #3995
jschuur
TV-holic, improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieb187 View Post
After calling a TWC tech and a Tivo tech I'm still missing 13 HD channels.
Premiums like HBO HD and Max HD and HD networks I get.
The ones missing are the new HD channels just added in the past few months.
DiscHD, CNN HD, Sci HD, Speed Hd, FoodHD, TLC HD...
Are you sure these are available for your street? Did you have a TWC cable box before and get them e.g.?

That list of channels was rolled out in my area (Orange County, CA) months ago, but I didn't get them until around this week (just in time for Battlestar Galactica, yay!). When I spoke to my local TWC customer support a few months back, they said the roll out was underway and they didn't know exactly when each specific neighborhood was getting the new HD channels.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Why do I have to watch a French movie?! I didn't do anything wrong!" - Phil Dunphy
jschuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #3996
eddieb187

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschuur View Post
Are you sure these are available for your street? Did you have a TWC cable box before and get them e.g.?

That list of channels was rolled out in my area (Orange County, CA) months ago, but I didn't get them until around this week (just in time for Battlestar Galactica, yay!). When I spoke to my local TWC customer support a few months back, they said the roll out was underway and they didn't know exactly when each specific neighborhood was getting the new HD channels.
Yes.
I have a TWC DVR also. The 8300 HD.
I get all those channels on that cable box.
We got them several months ago in a couple of rollouts.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:35 PM   #3997
ChrisFix

TWC Cable Card Success Story

Had TWC out today to install Cable Card in my new Tivo HD...installer called 10 minutes before arriving to confirm appt. and I was able to confirm he had an SA M-Card, which I insisted the phone rep request on the work order (he brought both S-Cards and M-Cards to the install).

When ordering, the phone reps insisted they didn't have M-cards because they "are not compatible with SDV"...what a bunch of idiots they are on the phone (and I called twice, and got the same answer both times)!! No amount of explaining that S-Cards are also not SDV compatible made a difference to them.

Installer (contractor) arrives right on time, and I ask the usual "have you done this before" question...which he had once, a long time ago...so I prepare for the worst, and him walk through the steps on the Tivo provided guide. I had run the guided setup before the install, selecting "I'll install CC later" option. The installer inserts the M-Card into slot 1, and the appropriate menu comes up. Took the installer about 5 mins on the phone to figure out which of the various numbers he was supposed to be providing, but once done, we saw the box get hit from the head-end, and all my channels were there - nothing else needed to be done. Took less than 10 mins from hello to goodbye with everything working. The only downside is that TWC Raleigh-Durham charges $42.95 for a CC install, that could be easily done on a self-service basis, but I knew that going in.

I had tried this before 1.5 years ago, and canceled the CC install and returned the Tivo HD because of the issues I had with the cable card implementation at that time (2 S-Cards @ $42.95 each for install & no digital simulcast). I just need the TA for everything to be perfect, but I'm happy for now.

Just thought I'd share my positive experience for anyone considering making the plunge...not every CC install has to be a nightmare!!
ChrisFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:13 PM   #3998
Lorcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
My OOB level is 26db. Have you done a complete power down of the TiVo and reboot? Ive seen the channel map get messed up after the cableco makes changes that seem to get resolved with a power cycle. It happened to me last week after they replaced an existing channel with Bravo. Power cycle and all was fine.
I've done everthing... powered down, reboot, finally called up Tivo Tech support and they are checking on the lineup information provided by my local TWC office. It is looking like the Tivo is being told to tune to the wrong station when I type in the channel number. I'm suppose to know more by the end of the week.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #3999
Gilgamesch

Okay let me see if I understand my Time Warner situation. Since I only have a HD capable TV I going to need a HD Cable Box from Time Warner. The HD Cable Box and the cable cards perform the same function in decoding the feed from Time Warner so if I have the HD Cable Box I will not need the cable cards for my TIVO HD. Sorry for my confusion and thanks for everybodies help.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #4000
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Okay let me see if I understand my Time Warner situation. Since I only have a HD capable TV I going to need a HD Cable Box from Time Warner. The HD Cable Box and the cable cards perform the same function in decoding the feed from Time Warner so if I have the HD Cable Box I will not need the cable cards for my TIVO HD. Sorry for my confusion and thanks for everybodies help.
No. If you have a TiVo HD and you want to use it with digital cable you will need cablecards. The cablecards do the authorization and decryption of the content for the TiVo. A TW Cable box with a cable card is analogous to the TiVo and also uses its cablecard to decrypt the content. Each device needing decryption services needs a decryption device aka cablecard. The cablecard only provides decryption services for the box it is plugged into.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #4001
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

No, the TiVo HD (with cable cards) replaces the cable box. It's basically a cable box with TiVo software built into it. You have no need for the cable box any longer.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:20 AM   #4002
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
No, the TiVo HD (with cable cards) replaces the cable box. It's basically a cable box with TiVo software built into it. You have no need for the cable box any longer.
One need you may have for it is to keep yourself eligible for a 'package' such as Digipic (which comes with a cablebox). If you dont have at least one box, you may be going 'ala carte' which could cost more. Just put it in the closet if that is the case
Old 01-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #4003
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Ah, gotcha. I don't think my market (SoCal) has any such "packages."
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:07 AM   #4004
LA Dave

I live in the Los Angeles area and Time Warner in December added several HD channels such as USA Network HD, SciFi HD, etc....

My problem is that all the channels state 'To Be Announced' for the guide.
Tivo appears to know what the channels are since they are listed properly on the Guide listing, but there is no data.

I cannot manually record any shows - the record button does nothing and setting up a manual season pass automatically gets removed every time the guide data is refreshed.

I found a thread via Google on tivoblog com/archives/2008/02/08/tivo-guide-to-be-announced-now-thats-what-i-call-customer-service/)but the link to submit/update channels is no longer working.

Does any one have any suggestions?

Thanks
LA Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:24 AM   #4005
PumiceT
Mentally Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Dave View Post
...Tivo appears to know what the channels are since they are listed properly on the Guide listing, but there is no data...
I have a similar problem. In our area, channel 700 sits essentially empty all the time, showing Time Warner self-promos, but during Buffalo Sabres home games, it's where the MSG HD feed is shown. My problem is, although TiVo can watch that channel (yes, this usually empty channel is NOT SDV—waste of bandwidth?) the guide data on TiVo shows all sorts of Weather shows. The guide data on the Time Warner box is (relatively) accurate, so I can set the TW HD DVR to record the games, but I'd prefer to use TiVo.

Is there a (new / current / working) way to help TiVo pick up the Time Warner guide data?
Old 01-20-2009, 11:47 AM   #4006
jotsbox

I should have posted in this thread. Anyway, you can read about my TW (Albany, NY)+TiVo HD+mCableCARD+TA fun and games here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=415601
Old 01-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #4007
Gilgamesch

Okay maybe I am wrong, but my understanding is I will need a cable box because my TV (an older Sony KP-51WS510) needs a tuner to decode the HD signal because it is only HD capable. Does the TIVO HD with the cable cards decode the signal for the TV? Sorry for all the questions.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #4008
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Okay maybe I am wrong, but my understanding is I will need a cable box because my TV (an older Sony KP-51WS510) needs a tuner to decode the HD signal because it is only HD capable. Does the TIVO HD with the cable cards decode the signal for the TV? Sorry for all the questions.
Yes. The TiVo has two tuners and does all the tuning and decoding. Your set is probably a 'monitor' and doesnt have any tuners in it. It probably has component video or perhaps DVI which TiVo also supports. If you try to do DVI, your display must support HDCP.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:03 PM   #4009
PumiceT
Mentally Drunk

Quote:
The TiVo REPLACES the cable box. The TiVo will provide your TV with an audio/video source, the same way the Time Warner box does, effectively rendering the cable box useless.

Of course, none of this mentions the likelihood of SDV (Switched Digital Video) channels in your area, which TiVo won't be able to tune without a Tuning Adapter. TiVo by itself can't send channel requests to the cable company like their cable box can. A Tuning Adapter sends the appropriate request for SDV channels on an as-needed basis.

Make any more sense now?
Old 01-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #4010
SCSIRAID

Quote:
I looked up your set and it isnt just a monitor. It is NTSC only as far as its tuner. It supports 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. It has DVI and says its HDCP compliant. I would set the TiVo to Hybrid mode and use either DVI or Component. I would recommend component as older TV's tend to have HDCP issues. The TiVo will act as the 'cable box' (but in a FAR FAR superior manner )
Old 01-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #4011
Gilgamesch

Guys thanks for al the information. You have all been very helpful. I will just get the cable cards and plan to give the DVI hookup a try since I already got the HDMI to DVI cable and if that does not work I will try component.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #4012
tgrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumiceT View Post
I have a similar problem. In our area, channel 700 sits essentially empty all the time, showing Time Warner self-promos, but during Buffalo Sabres home games, it's where the MSG HD feed is shown. My problem is, although TiVo can watch that channel (yes, this usually empty channel is NOT SDV—waste of bandwidth?) the guide data on TiVo shows all sorts of Weather shows. The guide data on the Time Warner box is (relatively) accurate, so I can set the TW HD DVR to record the games, but I'd prefer to use TiVo.

Is there a (new / current / working) way to help TiVo pick up the Time Warner guide data?
Being in the same area I have the same problem. I usually record whatever it says is on the weather channel then change the settings and add three hours to it. That is the only way I can record the Sabres in HD.
tgrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:17 PM   #4013
PumiceT
Mentally Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrad View Post
Being in the same area I have the same problem. I usually record whatever it says is on the weather channel then change the settings and add three hours to it. That is the only way I can record the Sabres in HD.
Yeah, I pretty much set a manual recording. The point is, I thought the days of programming based on time and channel went away with the VHS VCR!!
Old 01-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #4014
eddieb187

Another day with TWC and Tivo problems.
TWC tech came back again today.
Different guy with one M card and one S card.
They should know to bring two single stream cards, no?
Anyway after 3 hours I am still not getting 13 HD channels.
They confirmed that SDV is not active in Hudson Valley NY TWC.
The person on the phone with the tech at my house had a Tivo HD DVR at the TWC office and she said she was getting all those channels I'm missing.
So they are going to come back tomorrow with the cable card from her Tivo.
I hope that works because no one seems to know what's wrong.
I guess they have not done many CC installs up here.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #4015
notting

CCI settings for TWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs View Post
Albany TWC has set the CCI byte for EVERY CHANNEL (except the local broadcast stations) at 0x02 when using a cable card and it has been this way for over a year. Several local people have tried to get Albany TWC to change their CCI byte, but are met with unknowledgable customer service reps who don't know/understand what a CCI byte is. Complaints to the FCC and NYS Public Service Commission have not resulted in any movement to rid the broadcasts of the 0x02 CCI byte.
Ah, so this is a global corporate policy? I've noticed this in the Carolinas and have been poking them via e-mail about it, but I was hoping that this was local misconfiguration.
notting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #4016
AgentMunroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by notting View Post
Ah, so this is a global corporate policy? I've noticed this in the Carolinas and have been poking them via e-mail about it, but I was hoping that this was local misconfiguration.
I don't know if it's a corporate policy, but we have the same problem here in Rochester - everything except for the HD locals are copy protected.
AgentMunroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #4017
m_jonis

I was told by the CSR that this was "Corporate Policy" but others have posted, I think in Austin TX, that this is NOT the case (ie, not all their channels are CCI byte=2 or whatever it is).
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #4018
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_jonis View Post
I was told by the CSR that this was "Corporate Policy" but others have posted, I think in Austin TX, that this is NOT the case (ie, not all their channels are CCI byte=2 or whatever it is).
All but the locals are set to CCI 2 in Austin.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #4019
ljcaswell

Questions About TWC Rochester NY Cablecard Service

I'm considering getting back into the Tivo world after a two year hiatus. I upgraded to HD a couple of years ago and had to ditch the Tivo. Now I see the Tivo HD has come down in price, and I'll be very happy to get rid of the TW DVR (SA8300HD)

I realize I'll lose my On Demand service...I have an Apple TV that happily feeds my movie fix.

However, I'm concerned about a note on TW's web site that says "*As of January 2006, any new digital services added will NOT be available with a CableCARD" and then goes on to list a host of HD channels that aren't available, many of which I watch regularly.

Is this true, or does the release of the tuning adapter make this statement obsolete?

Is there any thing else I'm overlooking or will be losing by making this switch?

TIA
ljcaswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:06 PM   #4020
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljcaswell View Post
I'm considering getting back into the Tivo world after a two year hiatus. I upgraded to HD a couple of years ago and had to ditch the Tivo. Now I see the Tivo HD has come down in price, and I'll be very happy to get rid of the TW DVR (SA8300HD)

I realize I'll lose my On Demand service...I have an Apple TV that happily feeds my movie fix.

However, I'm concerned about a note on TW's web site that says "*As of January 2006, any new digital services added will NOT be available with a CableCARD" and then goes on to list a host of HD channels that aren't available, many of which I watch regularly.

Is this true, or does the release of the tuning adapter make this statement obsolete?

Is there any thing else I'm overlooking or will be losing by making this switch?

TIA
The release of the tuning adapter makes this statement obsolete.