TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-28-2008, 09:14 PM   #3451
ehchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim N. View Post
If you are referring to USAHD and CNNHD, TWC seems to have yanked them right after close of the Olympics. They probably struck a deal with NBC to source the Olympic programming, but will now demand more money from subscribers to see these channels an an on-going basis. Or, they will wait for SDV to be implemented in SoCal before they offer the channels.
Nope, i'm talking about ESPNNews, Golf/VS, Discovery, CNN, HGTV, Food, Disney, Family, TLC, A&E, History, and NatGeo... They showed up today for real! Woohoo! I guess my Tivo guide jumped the gun a few hours.
ehchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:24 AM   #3452
dagware

I was planning on getting a cablecard installed, and after reading through this thread, I was worried about how it would go for me.

Guess what? No problems at all (well, almost no problems). Compared to the horror stories in this thread, I guess I got really lucky.

The tech who came out to install the card knew exactly what he was doing, and he brought 5 M-cards with him just in case he had to try more than one. He was young, bright, pleasant, articulate -- I was very impressed with this young man. Especially his ability to use two phones at once while on hold, along with two different direct-connect conversations -- the best example of multitasking I've ever seen. Truly mind-blowing.

It did, however, take 1 1/2 hours. There were several reasons for this. The first is that there was something wrong with TW's phone system, and he had to wait on hold for a long time, then got disconnected several times. I had mixed emotions about this. On the one hand, I didn't like the delay. On the other hand, it was kind of funny that their own people had the same phone problems I've had in the past.

Once he did get in touch with a dispatcher (several of them, in fact), they couldn't get the card provisioned (or whatever). Several different people tried, and nobody could get it to work. Finally he was able to get a hold of a third-tier support person who actually knew what he was doing, and after 30 seconds it was working fine. Turns out that they had somehow specified I was going to use two cards (probably S-cards), and that caused them not to be able to activate the M-card. This last person took one glance at the configuration and fixed the problem.

So, everything's working fine and I'm a happy camper. (My 1 TB hard drive doesn't hurt either.) Once I finish watching the remaining recordings on my TW DVR, I'll take it back. Woo hoo!

Dan
dagware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:33 PM   #3453
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59er View Post
TWC in NYC has so far kept USAHD on 195 and CNBCHD on 196. (CNNHD has been on 710 for awhile now and was not for the Olympics, but I am sure you meant CNBC.)

We got a lineup change message from our TiVo HD on Tuesday or Wednesday informing us that a handful of channels had been deleted -- all NBC olympic channels -- but I was pleased to see that these two real HD channels have thus far stuck around.
Hey 59er - I'm in NYC also and haven't gotten a lineup change YET - but it looks like USAHD on 195 and CNBCHD on 196 both went off the air about 48 hours ago (roughly Thursday) - which was a couple of days after the Olympic Channels were deleted.

Can anyone else with TWC NYC tune in to 195 and 196 and see if you are still getting them? I had my fingers crossed also but not so optimistic anymore...
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:57 PM   #3454
rckstrang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaditto View Post
I had a similar experience a few weeks ago (look in the CC Install thread) and it just took talking with the right person. Forget the typical TW CS line, call their National CC Hotline at 866.532.2598. TWC wanted to send someone out to my house too but these guys fixed it remotely. Your card probably needs to be paired and staged and these guys know what to do. If you get any push back for calling (this is really for installers), just tell them what you have been through and they will help you. They told me to call back anytime and they agreed that the normal CS Rep isn't very knowledgeable about CCs.
Maybe it was just the person I talked to but I was told in no uncertain terms that I am not allowed to call this number. The guy I talked to who's name was Shawn asked who I was and I said I'm a customer, what do you need to get started? He said you're not suppose to call this line, it's for technicians and escalated problems only. I said will you help me anyway? He was very reluctant, asked me for my account info.

I told him I was gratefully for his assistance and he fixed my problem. He asked me how I got the number and I said it was on the internet. He said a Supervisor had told them they were not to take these calls. He also said he was going to note my account to say that I was told not to call this number again.

I apologized again and said that I thought the number was released because TW was attempting to be more customer friendly to people with cable card issues. No response.

I tried to end the call in an upbeat manner and said I won't call again but since the number is on the internet, they probably will get more calls.

My suggestion is that you call regular customer service first then when they are unable to help give them the number and have them call and connect you. Another thing you can do is say you did call customer service and you got disconnected during transfer so the rep gave you the direct number.
rckstrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #3455
spolebitski

Calling all tivohd (s3) users in SE Wisconsin

Did you loose many of your HD Channels today? I went to watch the BigTenHD, which over the past couple of days TWC finally struck a deal with to provide the channels (63 SD, 527 HD).

I called TWC and they a did not know what the problem was, did not know anything about the tuning resolver (adapter), but did offer to have a HD DVR available for pick up ASAP (additional fees apply).
spolebitski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #3456
spolebitski

Any TWC customers have any new information regarding the tuning resolver (adapter). The letter i received in July said it would be offered at not additional cost but the date (time frame) was not given. Could they just say they are working on and never offer it?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the FCC said the to the cable companies that they needed to offer a way that third party dvr's (cable boxes) would still work on their cable systems. This SDV is a loophole that the cable companies have come up with to get around this fcc rule.

Can a complaint to the fcc do any good regarding SDV (loss of channels)? To me SDV should not have been allowed out until the tuning resolver (adapter) was available.

I am expected to still pay my full bill even when i am not receiving all programing that is offered.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:13 PM   #3457
dagware

Quote:
Originally Posted by spolebitski View Post
Can a complaint to the fcc do any good regarding SDV (loss of channels)? To me SDV should not have been allowed out until the tuning resolver (adapter) was available.

I am expected to still pay my full bill even when i am not receiving all programing that is offered.
This is not an answer to your question, and in no way should you think I don't understand what you're saying. Please believe me when I say that. But I have a question:

I thought that SDV was only really useful for channels that are less popular. Am I right about this? What I mean is, am I likely to lose ESPN HD, or one of the major network HD channels, when SDV is rolled out? Or is it the less-p-opular channels, like GSN or DIY and stuff like that? (Not that it's OK to lose any channels -- I'm just asking.)

Dan
Old 08-30-2008, 08:35 PM   #3458
mmcgown

My understanding is that SDV is used primarily to allow cable companies to "cram" more channels into the same size cable. Since they are not transmitting all of the channels to you all of the time, they have room for more channels. So you shouldn't lose any channels; rather, you should end up with more. The channel you want to watch is not transmitted to your "last mile" of the cable system until you tune into it. See Switched Video on Wikipedia for a longer explanation.
mmcgown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:27 PM   #3459
emsmx5

I am a manager for one of the installation contractors for TWC in Raleigh. I just came across this thread and didn't know if this info has been posted, but I thought I'd put it up here for you guys with CCs. And BTW, customers are NOT supposed to use the CC Hotline as that is supposed to be reserved for technicians. When you see the threads (or even post them yourselves) about how the technician took 2-5 hours to install one M card because he was stuck on hold, it doesn't help when half of the CC Hotline (there are only 2, that's right, 2 people working at any given time for the entire nation!) is stuck trying to walk a customer through things that shouldn't have even escalated to their level. Not trying to be mean, just consider the techs too. Most of them are paid per job, not hourly, so if you tie them up, they lose a lot of money. But thought I'd release this internal memo for you guys to rant about!

CableCard Notifications and Switched Digital Video
Important Information - PLEASE READ
Related document: CableCard-SwitchedDigitalVideo Talking PointsFINAL.doc

A first class letter mailed yesterday (August 13th) to just over 1,000 CableCard customers in the Raleigh/Fayetteville areas (Wilmington customers have not been contacted yet) notifying them that certain channels will become switched digital video channels beginning on or after September 13th. Information was included in yesterday's Marketing

ATTACHED ARE VERY IMPORTANT TALKING POINTS. PLEASE READ AND SHARE WITH YOUR TEAMS. This information was distributed at the Customer Service Supervisor meetings this afternoon. These are similar talking points that were distributed last fall.

What is Switched Digital Video?

Switched Digital Video (SDV) is a technology that transmits digital channels to customers on an as-needed basis rather than broadcasting all digital channels on a continuous basis. For example, if a customer tunes to a channel, then that digital box will receive the programming for that channel at that time. It is a bandwidth management breakthrough that will allow us to offer many additional services, including more HD channels.

The current generation of CableCard compatible devices sold at retail stores are only capable of accessing Time Warner Cable's one-way services. They were not designed to be compatible with Swithed Digital Video (SDV), which is a two-way service. As a result, once channels are moved to SDV, they will no longer be available to CableCard customers.

Starting in September (official date still needs to be confirmed) and proceeding in groups of approximately 20 channels, Time Warner Cable will begin providing a number of our existing, lesser-viewed channels via SDV. Please keep in mind that these may or may not be channels to which CableCard customers currently subscribe. The list is as follows:

Spanish Language Channels

Boomerang Espanol

Canal Sur

Cine Latino

CNN Espanol

Discovery Espanol

ESPN Deportes

Fox Sports Espanol

Galavision

La Familia

MTV Tr3s

Mun2

Telefutura

TV Azteca

Premium Channels

ActionMax- West

Cinemax- West

HBO- West

HBO2- West

HBO Family- West

HBO Signature- West

Flix- West

MoreMax- West

Showcase- West

Showtime- West

Showtime Too- West

Sundance- West

ThrillerMax- West

Digital Sports and Games

CBS College Sports

FCS Atlantic

FCS Central

FCS Pacific

Fox Soccer Channel

Fuel

Game Show Network

NBA TV

NHL Network

Outdoor Channel

Tennis Channel

Digital Variety Channels

American Life TV

BBC America

Bloomberg

Boomerang

Current TV

EWTN

Gospel Music Channel

NBA Preview Channel

Ovation

TV One

Sports Packages and Pay-Per-View

ESPN GamePlan

ESPN Full Court

iN DEMAND 1 and 2

MLB Extra Innings

NBA League Pass

NHL Center Ice

TEN Blue

TEN Blox

When we get closer to deploying SDV, we will inform everyone of what channels will be switched. This will occur in waves over several weeks.

Once the channels listed above are moved to SDV, they no longer will be available to CableCard devices. However, Time Warner Cable has worked with the rest of the cable industry and TiVo Inc. to develop an external device called a Tuning Adapter that will allow certain devices, including TiVo Series 3 and TiVo HD digital video recorders, to access channels that are delivered using SDV.

We expect to be able to offer Tuning Adapters to customers with compatible devices later this year. At that time we will provide you and our customers with additional information on availability and device compatibility. It is currently contemplated that the Tuning Adapter will be provided at no additional charge, once available. Until the Tuning Adapter becomes available, however, a Time Warner Cable digital box will be required to view channels migrated to SDV -- even if you own a Tuning Adapter-compatible device. In addition, certain non-TiVo retail models may not work with the Tuning Adapter.
emsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:48 PM   #3460
rckstrang

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsmx5 View Post
I am a manager for one of the installation contractors for TWC in Raleigh. I just came across this thread and didn't know if this info has been posted, but I thought I'd put it up here for you guys with CCs. And BTW, customers are NOT supposed to use the CC Hotline as that is supposed to be reserved for technicians. When you see the threads (or even post them yourselves) about how the technician took 2-5 hours to install one M card because he was stuck on hold, it doesn't help when half of the CC Hotline (there are only 2, that's right, 2 people working at any given time for the entire nation!) is stuck trying to walk a customer through things that shouldn't have even escalated to their level. Not trying to be mean, just consider the techs too. Most of them are paid per job, not hourly, so if you tie them up, they lose a lot of money.
I can't believe what I just read. You want us, the customer who pay for services to take into consideration that: a)Time Warner only has 2 people available in the entire nation to answer the cable card hot line and b) Most of your techs are paid by the job so when WE tie them up WE cost them money!

The fact that you only have 2 people on the cable card hotline shows that even if we didn't know the number, you are not adequately staffing that line.

This statement shows exactly what is wrong with Time Warner Cable. We pay our money for services and you put the blame for not providing those services on us? Train and hire more people for your tech hotlines and pay your techs a fair wage. We pay through the nose for cable services, you should provide what we pay for without inconvenience to us.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:01 PM   #3461
Combat Medic
No guts, no glory

Quote:
Any TWC customers have any new information regarding the tuning resolver (adapter). The letter i received in July said it would be offered at not additional cost but the date (time frame) was not given. Could they just say they are working on and never offer it?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the FCC said the to the cable companies that they needed to offer a way that third party dvr's (cable boxes) would still work on their cable systems. This SDV is a loophole that the cable companies have come up with to get around this fcc rule.

I filed a complaint with the FCC regarding SDV. They told me that they didn't care.
Combat Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:03 PM   #3462
dagware

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstrang View Post
I can't believe what I just read. You want us, the customer who pay for services to take into consideration that: a)Time Warner only has 2 people available in the entire nation to answer the cable card hot line and b) Most of your techs are paid by the job so when WE tie them up WE cost them money!

The fact that you only have 2 people on the cable card hotline shows that even if we didn't know the number, you are not adequately staffing that line.

This statement shows exactly what is wrong with Time Warner Cable. We pay our money for services and you put the blame for not providing those services on us? Train and hire more people for your tech hotlines and pay your techs a fair wage. We pay through the nose for cable services, you should provide what we pay for without inconvenience to us.
Everything you say is true. However, I doubt that the OP has anything to do with hiring, etc. So go ahead and complain, but complain to TW directly.

The OP was just trying to tell us how to help ourselves, by not overtaxing a limited resource. And it behooves us to take heed -- while, at the same time, complaining about it to people who can do something about it.

Dan

PS: I hate cable companies as much as the next person. Just trying to be practical.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:07 PM   #3463
dagware

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcgown View Post
My understanding is that SDV is used primarily to allow cable companies to "cram" more channels into the same size cable. Since they are not transmitting all of the channels to you all of the time, they have room for more channels. So you shouldn't lose any channels; rather, you should end up with more. The channel you want to watch is not transmitted to your "last mile" of the cable system until you tune into it. See Switched Video on Wikipedia for a longer explanation.
I knew I wasn't clear in my post.

First off, when you say we don't lose any channels, that's not true. We do indeed lose them, at least until we get a tuning adapter.

But the question I was trying to ask was answered by emsmx5 in the internal memo he posted. They are only going to move lesser-viewed channels to SDV, as I thought I had understood. SDV only helps bandwidth when used with less-popular channels. So emsmx5, thanks for the confirmation.

Dan
Old 08-31-2008, 02:08 PM   #3464
dagware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Medic View Post
I filed a complaint with the FCC regarding SDV. They told me that they didn't care.
I'm sure you were kidding, but on the off chance you weren't, can you post any correspondence on this?

Dan
Old 08-31-2008, 02:38 PM   #3465
rckstrang

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagware View Post
Everything you say is true. However, I doubt that the OP has anything to do with hiring, etc. So go ahead and complain, but complain to TW directly.

The OP was just trying to tell us how to help ourselves, by not overtaxing a limited resource. And it behooves us to take heed -- while, at the same time, complaining about it to people who can do something about it.
He is absolutely right that we should not use that number. No doubt about it and it was made clear to me by the tech I spoke with.

And I don't blame him I blame TW and I appreciate his honesty. And perhaps, just perhaps a CSR could have helped me. But considering the information that he asked for and what we did to resolve the problem I doubt a regular CSR could have.

The first thing they want to do when they have a problem they don't understand how to fix is do a truck roll. Then you have to be available for them and sometimes it takes weeks. Then you have the two hours he spoke about with the tech.

My problem was fixed in less then 10 minutes by talking to that cable tech. And maybe I was lucky but he picked up the line on the second ring.

If he is a manager then he should have some way to bring these issues to upper management. He see's all the comments in this thread and he himself said he was giving us this information to rant about. I just did what he requested.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:45 PM   #3466
dagware

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstrang View Post
My problem was fixed in less then 10 minutes by talking to that cable tech.
And that's the frustrating part. When my installer finally spoke to someone who knew what he was doing, it took literally 30 seconds to fix the problem. So it obviously wasn't rocket science.

Dan
Old 08-31-2008, 03:46 PM   #3467
spolebitski

Quote:
This is not an answer to your question, and in no way should you think I don't understand what you're saying. Please believe me when I say that. But I have a question:

I thought that SDV was only really useful for channels that are less popular. Am I right about this? What I mean is, am I likely to lose ESPN HD, or one of the major network HD channels, when SDV is rolled out? Or is it the less-p-opular channels, like GSN or DIY and stuff like that? (Not that it's OK to lose any channels -- I'm just asking.)

Dan
Yes it is for lesser viewed channels, but yesterday I lost espn2 hd, fsnhd (only broadcasts brewer games in hd), tbshd, a&ehd, NGChd, among others. Now some will argue these are lesser viewed channels but i disagree all mainstream cable channels are not lesser viewed channels.

bottom line it is away to reduce the bandwidth that are using and they are using the term "lesser viewed" as a way to put a label and justify it.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:54 PM   #3468
spolebitski

Quote:
I am a manager for one of the installation contractors for TWC in Raleigh. I just came across this thread and didn't know if this info has been posted, but I thought I'd put it up here for you guys with CCs. And BTW, customers are NOT supposed to use the CC Hotline as that is supposed to be reserved for technicians. When you see the threads (or even post them yourselves) about how the technician took 2-5 hours to install one M card because he was stuck on hold, it doesn't help when half of the CC Hotline (there are only 2, that's right, 2 people working at any given time for the entire nation!) is stuck trying to walk a customer through things that shouldn't have even escalated to their level. Not trying to be mean, just consider the techs too. Most of them are paid per job, not hourly, so if you tie them up, they lose a lot of money. But thought I'd release this internal memo for you guys to rant about!

CableCard Notifications and Switched Digital Video
Important Information - PLEASE READ
Related document: CableCard-SwitchedDigitalVideo Talking PointsFINAL.doc

A first class letter mailed yesterday (August 13th) to just over 1,000 CableCard customers in the Raleigh/Fayetteville areas (Wilmington customers have not been contacted yet) notifying them that certain channels will become switched digital video channels beginning on or after September 13th. Information was included in yesterday's Marketing

ATTACHED ARE VERY IMPORTANT TALKING POINTS. PLEASE READ AND SHARE WITH YOUR TEAMS. This information was distributed at the Customer Service Supervisor meetings this afternoon. These are similar talking points that were distributed last fall.

What is Switched Digital Video?

Switched Digital Video (SDV) is a technology that transmits digital channels to customers on an as-needed basis rather than broadcasting all digital channels on a continuous basis. For example, if a customer tunes to a channel, then that digital box will receive the programming for that channel at that time. It is a bandwidth management breakthrough that will allow us to offer many additional services, including more HD channels.

The current generation of CableCard compatible devices sold at retail stores are only capable of accessing Time Warner Cable's one-way services. They were not designed to be compatible with Swithed Digital Video (SDV), which is a two-way service. As a result, once channels are moved to SDV, they will no longer be available to CableCard customers.

Starting in September (official date still needs to be confirmed) and proceeding in groups of approximately 20 channels, Time Warner Cable will begin providing a number of our existing, lesser-viewed channels via SDV. Please keep in mind that these may or may not be channels to which CableCard customers currently subscribe. The list is as follows:

Spanish Language Channels

Boomerang Espanol

Canal Sur

Cine Latino

CNN Espanol

Discovery Espanol

ESPN Deportes

Fox Sports Espanol

Galavision

La Familia

MTV Tr3s

Mun2

Telefutura

TV Azteca

Premium Channels

ActionMax- West

Cinemax- West

HBO- West

HBO2- West

HBO Family- West

HBO Signature- West

Flix- West

MoreMax- West

Showcase- West

Showtime- West

Showtime Too- West

Sundance- West

ThrillerMax- West

Digital Sports and Games

CBS College Sports

FCS Atlantic

FCS Central

FCS Pacific

Fox Soccer Channel

Fuel

Game Show Network

NBA TV

NHL Network

Outdoor Channel

Tennis Channel

Digital Variety Channels

American Life TV

BBC America

Bloomberg

Boomerang

Current TV

EWTN

Gospel Music Channel

NBA Preview Channel

Ovation

TV One

Sports Packages and Pay-Per-View

ESPN GamePlan

ESPN Full Court

iN DEMAND 1 and 2

MLB Extra Innings

NBA League Pass

NHL Center Ice

TEN Blue

TEN Blox

When we get closer to deploying SDV, we will inform everyone of what channels will be switched. This will occur in waves over several weeks.

Once the channels listed above are moved to SDV, they no longer will be available to CableCard devices. However, Time Warner Cable has worked with the rest of the cable industry and TiVo Inc. to develop an external device called a Tuning Adapter that will allow certain devices, including TiVo Series 3 and TiVo HD digital video recorders, to access channels that are delivered using SDV.

We expect to be able to offer Tuning Adapters to customers with compatible devices later this year. At that time we will provide you and our customers with additional information on availability and device compatibility. It is currently contemplated that the Tuning Adapter will be provided at no additional charge, once available. Until the Tuning Adapter becomes available, however, a Time Warner Cable digital box will be required to view channels migrated to SDV -- even if you own a Tuning Adapter-compatible device. In addition, certain non-TiVo retail models may not work with the Tuning Adapter.
I agree the above are lesser viewed channels, but when they take standard cable channels (tbshd, a&ehd, ngchd, espn2hd etc) and move them to sdv i think that is wrong at this time with no tuning adapter available.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:00 PM   #3469
spolebitski

Quote:
I knew I wasn't clear in my post.

First off, when you say we don't lose any channels, that's not true. We do indeed lose them, at least until we get a tuning adapter.

But the question I was trying to ask was answered by emsmx5 in the internal memo he posted. They are only going to move lesser-viewed channels to SDV, as I thought I had understood. SDV only helps bandwidth when used with less-popular channels. So emsmx5, thanks for the confirmation.

Dan
To me it would make sense to make the switch to SDV once the tuning adapter was available this way all of your customers are serviced. With the plan currently those who have cable cards are punished, they pay the same but do without until the tuning adapter is available.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:13 PM   #3470
Cainebj

Verizon FIOS is looking better and better.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:16 PM   #3471
dagware

Quote:
To me it would make sense to make the switch to SDV once the tuning adapter was available this way all of your customers are serviced. With the plan currently those who have cable cards are punished, they pay the same but do without until the tuning adapter is available.
I am not going to defend the cable companies. However, they are in a constant battle with other TV providers, and it doesn't surprise me that they'd roll out new channels as soon as they could. The number of people using cable cards is very small compared to the entire market.

Dan
Old 08-31-2008, 06:54 PM   #3472
Klankster

I'm in SE Wisconsin. After going around with DirecTV about an HD upgrade (to a non-Tivo box -- ARRGGH), my wife and I decided to punt them altogether and get a Series3 HD Tivo box and move over to Time Warner cable, which we have had for ages but just had basic channels (got HD, HBO, etc. from the satellite). I should have the box this week from Weaknees and will report back on how the switchover goes.

I sure hope it goes smoothly...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Klankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:28 PM   #3473
Combat Medic
No guts, no glory

Quote:
I'm sure you were kidding, but on the off chance you weren't, can you post any correspondence on this?

Dan
I'm not kidding, and I'm sorry I no longer have the letter that I got from the FCC. Basically the letter that I received from a Mr. Tignor with the FCC stated that they didn't see the SDV as being a violation of the separable security ruling. The invited me to file a civil lawsuit if I didn't agree with them.

In other words, they don't care.

-Mike
Old 08-31-2008, 10:19 PM   #3474
jmaditto

What about the custmers

Quote:
I am a manager for one of the installation contractors for TWC in Raleigh. I just came across this thread and didn't know if this info has been posted, but I thought I'd put it up here for you guys with CCs. And BTW, customers are NOT supposed to use the CC Hotline as that is supposed to be reserved for technicians. When you see the threads (or even post them yourselves) about how the technician took 2-5 hours to install one M card because he was stuck on hold, it doesn't help when half of the CC Hotline (there are only 2, that's right, 2 people working at any given time for the entire nation!) is stuck trying to walk a customer through things that shouldn't have even escalated to their level. Not trying to be mean, just consider the techs too. ...
Sorry but no sympathy here. I had two techs show up that were nice but not very experienced or trained for a CC install. Plus the TWC CSR's they spoke to were clueless. If it takes a call to the CC Hotline than that is what it takes. Too bad for TWC. Of course they will probably change the number now. Anyway, TWC s/b embarrassed it takes educated consumers calling an internal line to get a CC configured. Sorry man but I don't buy it.

As far as SDV goes, it's fine and the FCC shouldn't care about as long as the TA solution is in the works. No need wasting time with law suits on this. Complaints are good though as the cable companies' should have worked out how CC devices would receive SDV channels prior deployment. That would have been a real customer centric move.
jmaditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:19 PM   #3475
Combat Medic
No guts, no glory

Quote:
As far as SDV goes, it's fine and the FCC shouldn't care about as long as the TA solution is in the works. No need wasting time with law suits on this. Complaints are good though as the cable companies' should have worked out how CC devices would receive SDV channels prior deployment. That would have been a real customer centric move.
I like SDV. It is a good technological band aid. The problem is that they fired it up before they had the tuning adapter ready for use.

-Mike
Old 09-01-2008, 08:22 AM   #3476
Meatball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Medic View Post
I'm not kidding, and I'm sorry I no longer have the letter that I got from the FCC. Basically the letter that I received from a Mr. Tignor with the FCC stated that they didn't see the SDV as being a violation of the separable security ruling. The invited me to file a civil lawsuit if I didn't agree with them.

In other words, they don't care.

-Mike
So, we have any lawyers on this list? Class action lawsuit, here we come...
Meatball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:30 AM   #3477
gamo62

Quote:
Sorry but no sympathy here. I had two techs show up that were nice but not very experienced or trained for a CC install. Plus the TWC CSR's they spoke to were clueless. If it takes a call to the CC Hotline than that is what it takes. Too bad for TWC. Of course they will probably change the number now. Anyway, TWC s/b embarrassed it takes educated consumers calling an internal line to get a CC configured. Sorry man but I don't buy it.

Actually TiVo jumped the gun and didn't offer an easy way ( or currently no way) for them to handle SDV. It isn't the cable companies fault. It lies with Tivo.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #3478
Combat Medic
No guts, no glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamo62 View Post
Actually TiVo jumped the gun and didn't offer an easy way ( or currently no way) for them to handle SDV. It isn't the cable companies fault. It lies with Tivo.
It is my understanding that TiVo wanted to do 2-way but the cable companies never came up with a standard. This is the same thing as when AT&T required that all phones linked to the network were rented.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:25 PM   #3479
59er
TiVotee

Exclamation

Quote:
Well, it seems to me we have an easy solution. We need to dial the CC hotline and hand the phone to the incompetent or inexperienced tech. No violation of their policies, and we do an end-run around the CSR's who the techs were wasting time with.
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #3480
emsmx5

Alright, I wasn't trying to start a fire here, but it appears I did. I am a manager with one of the many contracting companies for TWC, so unfortunately, my pull with the decision makers is limited. The worst issue plaguing the customers and techs is the limited training allowed to us. I would love to be able to show each tech how to install a CC in a Tivo. I would also love to have access to every TV that accepts CCs so I could train them on those too, but I'd settle for Tivos as they are the most common. Unfortunately, my finances don't provide for me to purchase a TivoHD or Series 3 for myself, let alone, for training purposes. That being said, our contracting company averages about 3 CC installs a month. They just aren't common enough to afford proper training to all the techs this way. I try and weed out the techs that know CC and give them the installs or at least show up and show them, because I know how frustrating it can be to the customer to have a tech show up and not know what they're doing. It also reflects poorly on the company. The biggest downfall is in the training at the Network Operations Center that the techs have to call in to try and provision the CCs. Many of them are not trained on CC and just when we got a few good contacts there, they changed the system they use so now most of them input the Host ID and the CableCard ID as the same thing. That's the number 1 issue I run into on CC installs so if your tech is having a problem, tell them to have the TWC rep check that! And if you do have an issue with your CC that is already installed, please just go through the troubleshooting steps provided by this forum before you call the CC Hotline. I'm sorry if you don't like TWC, but please don't take it out on the tech that shows up at your house. Most of the time, they're trying to do the best they can with what's provided to them. They may not be Tivo experts, but that's because they deal with Scientific Atlanta's all day, not Tivos. Most of them don't own a Tivo, and if they do, chances are it's not HD. They're out there trying to make a living and are getting seriously hurt by the high gas prices as all the contractors (that are responsible for 86% of installs here in the Eastern Carolinas division) pay for their own gas and all their tools. They don't make a whole lot of money, and CC jobs don't pay much at all.

But on the topic of SDV, yes, it would be nice if the cable companies would hold off on it, but Cablelabs is the company responsible for coming up with two-way CC service so tell them to step their game up. But until all the cable companies make their infrastructure FTTP, there will be bandwidth restrictions on some less popular channels to handle the additional strain put on by the internet services and other HD channels. I again have absolutely no control over that.

And just to let everyone know, I'm a normal full price paying customer just like everyone else and I have to go through all the same channels you guys do if I have an issue. So please don't shoot the messenger, I was just trying to give you guys some info from the TWC side.
emsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote