TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #3421
59er
TiVotee

I had been paying $4.55 for an M cable card (for the TiVo HD) while I still had my SA8300 DVR as part of my triple-play package. When I brought back my DVR box to TWC's retail location in Manhattan, they confirmed that I would lose my promotional pricing if I didn't have a box with my package. But when I took a new SA HD box (don't remember the model, and I never use it, but it's there if I ever want to watch PPV or VOD), they stopped charging me the extra DVR service fee, lowered my monthly package triple-play package price (Because I asked nicely!), and also lowered the M card rental to $1.75 per month.

I am a happy camper.
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:35 PM   #3422
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortedloop View Post
I think your thesis and assumptions are wrong.

TWC (here in LA) rents you the cablecards for $4.99 EACH. A two tuner HD DVR from them was $9.99 monthly. Considering the cost and higher failure rate of a hard drive based DVR, I really doubt that their sweating that $1.00 difference.
The West Valley pricing guide disagrees with you

Quote:
CableCARD . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$ 1.75
CableCARD for 2nd or additional TVs
(includes Digital programming fee) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$ 4.25
http://www.timewarnerla.com/pricingGuides/

Now the question is, do they try and nail you for the additional fees on a second cable card is a Series 3 (or if they only have S Cards)?

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:30 AM   #3423
Meatball

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Now the question is, do they try and nail you for the additional fees on a second cable card is a Series 3 (or if they only have S Cards)?
Not sure about out there, but in my S3 I have two S cards (M cards haven't been rolled out here yet) and there's just two line items on my bill for Cable Cards .. $1.75

I returned all the cable boxes I had and I'm either using Cable cards or just getting the basic TV channels for spare rooms.
Meatball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:46 AM   #3424
Distortedloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
The West Valley pricing guide disagrees with you

http://www.timewarnerla.com/pricingGuides/

They were charging me $1.75 per card (two for a Series 3). When I called and cancelled a few tiers a couple of months ago, the computer system would not take any changes to my bill until she charged me $4.25 (sorry I said $4.99 earlier). It irked me a little at the time, as it added back $5 to my monthly service.

This probably bears some further investigation. I wonder if since I have a non-DVR cablebox from them on a spare TV if that's what's making the rate charged as additional boxes. I'll call them today and argue the point. Probably a good time to take back that analog cable box I'm paying monthly rental for sitting unused as well.

Thanks for pointing out the rate guide shows the $1.75 still, that's ammunition for a rate change; I hadn't thought to go to the web when I called them, I was just happy to be cutting $40/mo off my bill and getting a year of Showtime for free while at it.
Distortedloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:53 AM   #3425
Distortedloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatball View Post
Could be that things are just different regionally.
Seems like a lot of things differ by "region" with TWC, heck, even here in LA it seems like things differ from one part of the county to another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatball View Post
As for DVR failure rates. I've had 3 Tivo's and only had one HD failure in five years. I know everyone's mileage varies, but even if you lose a drive, you can buy a new drive pretty cheap and eaisily rebuild with software like InstantCake.
That wasn't my point. For you and I as an individual, a drive going bad on an expensive $800 Series 3 that can be replace with a 4x larger drive for $200 isn't a serious issue. For TWC, with their cheap SA boxes that seem to have frequent drive crashes (I had three with drive failures over the last few years), the cost of rolling a truck, swapping the box, repairing the box probably eat up that small price difference between the monthly cost of renting the box vs. multiple Cablecards. But I won't deny that TWC is in business to turn a profit, and overcharging on monthly rental fees for equipment is probably a big part of the profit structure.
Distortedloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:13 AM   #3426
Meatball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortedloop View Post
This probably bears some further investigation. I wonder if since I have a non-DVR cablebox from them on a spare TV if that's what's making the rate charged as additional boxes. I'll call them today and argue the point. Probably a good time to take back that analog cable box I'm paying monthly rental for sitting unused as well.
Yeah, that's what I did. I just run cable directly into the back of a S2 or straight into a TV in the other rooms. Of course, you'll only get the basic channels and nothing digital. I'm also wondering if TWC and the other cable companies will use the Digital switchover next Feb as an excuse to change the service so you can't do that anymore as well.
Meatball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:51 AM   #3427
KaOTiKM3

Pricing in Manhattan

I'm activating new service in Manhattan, and the CSR rep told me that I would not be able to receive the initial promotional pricing for Cable and Internet if I get CableCards as well for my S3. Has anyone had experience with this? Coming from Cablevision, the CableCards were simply an add-on to my existing plan. The CSR rep told me I would have to pay for each service (DTV + Internet) a la cart to be able to order CableCards (which = more $$$)...does this sound right to you NYC guys?
KaOTiKM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:36 PM   #3428
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaOTiKM3 View Post
I'm activating new service in Manhattan, and the CSR rep told me that I would not be able to receive the initial promotional pricing for Cable and Internet if I get CableCards as well for my S3. Has anyone had experience with this? Coming from Cablevision, the CableCards were simply an add-on to my existing plan. The CSR rep told me I would have to pay for each service (DTV + Internet) a la cart to be able to order CableCards (which = more $$$)...does this sound right to you NYC guys?
You probably have to get and keep at least one regular cable box to get a package price.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:37 PM   #3429
Merejane

Quote:
This is what happened to us (my husband and myself). We used to have one tv with a cable box, plus internet, which was billed as a package. We used a regular TiVo unit with that tv. Last year, we bought a second TV. The second tv is HD, so we got a TiVo HD to use with it. The cable card installation was a major pain -- it took TWC a few days to get it straight -- but once it was set up, we were quite happy with how it works.

Unfortunately, I noticed on subsequent bills that we were being charged a la carte for everything. When I questioned that, TWC said that with cable cards, everything is a la carte -- no packages unless we stopped using the cable cards. (Which of course, is not going to happen.)

I called again today, to tell them that we are thinking about switching to Verizon FIOS (we're lucky enough to be in one of the NYC buildings where that is now available). I actually thought they would come through with some kind of deal, because it seems clear to me that if they want to offer a package with cable cards, they can. But the rep I spoke with said sorry, there's no package they can offer us as long as we use cable cards.

I pointed out that I do still have and use a cable box on the first tv (which now is relegated to the bedroom, as a backup tv), but that did not make a difference.

Having said all that, I wonder if a different rep might give me a different and better offer if I called and asked again. Or whether, when I actually call to cancel the service, I might get a better offer at that point. As it stands, though, my plan is to call RCN and see what they can offer, and then decide between RCN and FIOS. I'm pretty sure we'll end up going with FIOS.
Merejane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:04 PM   #3430
DavidJ

OK, TWC was out today and the install of the M type card seems to have worked... I'm getting all the basic channels (although I think I was getting them yesterday without the CableCard) and the ones I knew I wouldn't get due to the SDVC issue, I'm not

However, when I try to get any of the music channels which are outside of the range of channels that TWC KC says aren't available to CableCard customers, I get a message on the screen saying that to start service for this device I need to call 816-xxx-xxxx, and it shows me the Card ID # as well as the Host ID # To me that seems to indicate that the card wasn't activated, also, when I try to access the HD Olympic channels that are supposed to be free, I get the same message.

Is there anyway I can tell if the card was activated without calling TW? When I go into the CableCard Menu and select SA CableCard/Host ID Screen, thats the same info I receive when I try to access one of the channels I think should be enabled.

Unfortunately I wasn't able focus 100% on the installer today as I had work deadlines to meet :-(

Last edited by DavidJ : 08-21-2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Update content
DavidJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:25 PM   #3431
cableguy763

DavidJ,
You need to have "CP Auth Received" in the cp screen. Sounds like the messages you are getting you should have "Waiting for CP Auth". The card is not paired at all if you have the waiting message.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:00 PM   #3432
dconnel
Professional Lurker

Installation trouble

Got 2 TivoHD's and had everything ready to go for the installer on Wednesday. He came in and set everything up. Worked like a charm, except he brought one M-CARD and one S-CARD instead of two M-CARDs. No problem - called customer service and they said they'd have another rep out Thursday to trade out the S-CARD for a M-CARD.

So, today, a different installer comes out and trades out the cards. Now I don't get any of my premium channels and none of the HD channels (and a few other things). I tell him the other Tivo is working fine and go in to prove it. NOPE. Now it's doing the same thing this one is. It was working fine before he got here.

I try to explain that I don't think the cards are paired correctly. He stares at me with a blank look on his face. After spending the majority of the day on the phone he gives up and tells me to call for another install with two new M-CARDS tomorrow.

I really think the problem is at TWC. On the Pairing screen it says "To start this device, please contact your cable company." The MAC address field looks to be empty.

I've been reading, but I've gotten kind of lost on what exactly I should be looking for, so any help would be greatly appreciated! (TWC Dallas, btw)
dconnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:01 PM   #3433
DavidJ

After an hour on hold before the call was even picked up, I finally got through and after describing my problem I was immediately transferred, fortunately the next wait was less than a minute... The lady on the other end was a lot more competent than the service agent I spoke to earlier today, and sent several hits to the card expecting a reboot but nothing changed. I then heard another tech in the background (probably a Tier II tech) come over to help. They had me read the Card & Host ID #'s and found that the last digit of the host ID was wrong. They reset it on their side and shortly after that the HD channels started coming through as did the music channels :-)

cableguy763, thanks for pointing out the CP Auth Received status screen, that was certainly helpful.

pcbrew, thanks to you also for clearing up my confusion about the type of device as it related to TWC's web page.

One last question (for now) Would it be safe to assume that a system restart (or reset?) should not affect the CableCard??

Thanks again, Now all we need is the tuning adapter... :-)
David
DavidJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:32 PM   #3434
cableguy763

David,
A restart will not affect the pairing status. Reboot as much as you like . I plugged in a S3 that has been off since 2/18/08 and it kept it's pairing status this whole time.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:07 AM   #3435
JimWall

Why have two M cards in a TIVO HD? Only one M card is needed to record two channels at the same time.
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:17 AM   #3436
JimWall

On trying to get a better deal or package. I called threatening to cancel my digital phone and TWC had no deal to offer. After I switched to earthlink I called to cancel for real and then got an offer for a great deal.
Maybe you could call and asked to cancel. If they don't offer a better deal to keep you then say your spouse just changed his/her mind and tell them you are not cancelling.
In Southwest Ohio we are getting great new package deals due to competition from Cincinnati Bell bundling. Cincinnati Bell is also testing three neighboorhoods with fiber to the home with internet, TV and phone for a super low price. I don't know if the TV is cable card compatible.
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #3437
59er
TiVotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWall View Post
Why have two M cards in a TIVO HD? Only one M card is needed to record two channels at the same time.
But the poster said he got TWO TiVo HDs, each of which needs its own card.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:28 PM   #3438
dconnel
Professional Lurker

Quick update: Called TWC again today to see if they could repair the cards. When I told the CSR the cards were in TIVO's, he immediately told me they didn't support TIVO and I was out of luck. I told him the it was a CableLabs certified device and they better support it.

I ended up contacting TIVO and now have another techinician scheduled for Wednesday morning.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:14 PM   #3439
derekcbart

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekcbart View Post
I'm in Northeast Los Angeles and my S3 sees that all of the new HD channels are there, and I can view them without needing a Tuning Resolver, but there is no Guide information for any of the channels so I cannot program my S3 to record anything. I'm going to be calling TWC on Monday or Tuesday to see if there is anything that they can do about it.
After a couple of weeks of going back and forth with TWC I decided to call TiVo Support and see if they could suggest anything and it turns out that all I needed to do was redo my channel lineup/setup and now everything is appearing in the guide properly. Of course, that was the one thing that I didn't think of doing myself.
derekcbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:16 AM   #3440
jmaditto

Don't Wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconnel View Post
Quick update: Called TWC again today to see if they could repair the cards. When I told the CSR the cards were in TIVO's, he immediately told me they didn't support TIVO and I was out of luck. I told him the it was a CableLabs certified device and they better support it.

I ended up contacting TIVO and now have another techinician scheduled for Wednesday morning.
I had a similar experience a few weeks ago (look in the CC Install thread) and it just took talking with the right person. Forget the typical TW CS line, call their National CC Hotline at 866.532.2598. TWC wanted to send someone out to my house too but these guys fixed it remotely. Your card probably needs to be paired and staged and these guys know what to do. If you get any push back for calling (this is really for installers), just tell them what you have been through and they will help you. They told me to call back anytime and they agreed that the normal CS Rep isn't very knowledgeable about CCs.
jmaditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:28 PM   #3441
dconnel
Professional Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaditto View Post
I had a similar experience a few weeks ago (look in the CC Install thread) and it just took talking with the right person. Forget the typical TW CS line, call their National CC Hotline at 866.532.2598. TWC wanted to send someone out to my house too but these guys fixed it remotely. Your card probably needs to be paired and staged and these guys know what to do. If you get any push back for calling (this is really for installers), just tell them what you have been through and they will help you. They told me to call back anytime and they agreed that the normal CS Rep isn't very knowledgeable about CCs.
Thank you very much for the advice!
Old 08-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #3442
Cainebj

Quote:
Yeah that does sound right.
I get pretty much sick to my stomach every month when I get my TWC bill. I've called a couple of times to ask for a bundle and even though I don't use their phone service - asked what would happen if I took it and would they offer me a better deal (of course I had no intent on using their phone service). The answer was no.

About a month ago I called and told a rep my bill was too high and I needed to cut something.
For some bizarro reason and with no explanation, the rep cut my monthly bill by $5 for no apparent reason and with no explanation. So - go figure.

BTW, I have cable, 2 cablecards, roadrunner and HBO and Showtime. I was getting ready to cut the premium stations but somehow the $5 off changed my mind

I am willing to bet that things will change once we have FIOS as an alternative and can threaten to change over to them.

Last edited by Cainebj : 08-25-2008 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Additional thought
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:03 PM   #3443
ehchan

New SoCal channels in guide, but not receiving them...

Hmm... looks like the program guide added the new HD channels in Costa Mesa, but I'm not getting any of them... Did they show up on a normal hd box yet? Does that mean they are SDV channels here? Argh, so close!!!
ehchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:50 AM   #3444
rckstrang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaditto View Post
I had a similar experience a few weeks ago (look in the CC Install thread) and it just took talking with the right person. Forget the typical TW CS line, call their National CC Hotline at 866.532.2598.
I just happened to notice this post. Thank you so very much for posting this number! You are right, every time I call customer service it's a truck roll!

I've added the number to my gmail contacts so I'll never lose it.
rckstrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:26 AM   #3445
jccfin

Anyone here have just Time Warner BASIC service? I pay only $13 a month for it since I only watch the major networks and TNT. The thing is I've been getting those in HD on my flat panel with its built in ATSC/QAM tuner. I don't need a cable box, just directly connected the cable to the TV. I just ordered a Series 3 and would like to know if there's a way to get it to work without cable cards? Does Tivo actually scan the available channels with its built in tuners or does it only download the channel line up? The problem is that TW re-maps their channels so for example, the correct channel OTA for NBC HD might be 4.1 and on TW cable box 704 but if you use the direct connect like I do it's 104.3. TiVo would probably just have the 4.1 OTA line up or the 703 TW Cable box line up, but there's no way for them to know about the 104.3 right?
jccfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:31 AM   #3446
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccfin View Post
Anyone here have just Time Warner BASIC service? I pay only $13 a month for it since I only watch the major networks and TNT. The thing is I've been getting those in HD on my flat panel with its built in ATSC/QAM tuner. I don't need a cable box, just directly connected the cable to the TV. I just ordered a Series 3 and would like to know if there's a way to get it to work without cable cards? Does Tivo actually scan the available channels with its built in tuners or does it only download the channel line up? The problem is that TW re-maps their channels so for example, the correct channel OTA for NBC HD might be 4.1 and on TW cable box 704 but if you use the direct connect like I do it's 104.3. TiVo would probably just have the 4.1 OTA line up or the 703 TW Cable box line up, but there's no way for them to know about the 104.3 right?
You will be able to tune the clear QAM channels but you will not have guide data. Not very useful. Recording for the clear QAM's will be manual.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:07 AM   #3447
BruceShultes

If you can get the channels you want OTA, you certainly do get guide data for them without cablecards.
BruceShultes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:15 AM   #3448
Tim N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehchan View Post
Hmm... looks like the program guide added the new HD channels in Costa Mesa, but I'm not getting any of them... Did they show up on a normal hd box yet? Does that mean they are SDV channels here? Argh, so close!!!
If you are referring to USAHD and CNNHD, TWC seems to have yanked them right after close of the Olympics. They probably struck a deal with NBC to source the Olympic programming, but will now demand more money from subscribers to see these channels an an on-going basis. Or, they will wait for SDV to be implemented in SoCal before they offer the channels.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #3449
NetOgre
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Thumbs up TWC in Portland, ME

Hello all. Just wanted to post my experiences in Portland. Haven't been on the forum in a while, but recently checked back in while mulling the switch to cable.

I am a long time Tivo user, 1st Gen off a cable box, then switched to DirecTV when they started supporting Tivo. I'd been increasingly disappointed in DTV (dropping Tivo, switch to MP4, bad support, etc). The final straw was a series of calls with them trying to convince me to switch to their brand of DVR. I had looked at it (my parents have it) and found it was not for me or my family. After some research, decided to switch back to cable and invested in a couple set top boxes (an HD Tivo and a Series 3 HD). Put in a call to Time Warner.

So far so good. The TWC rep was understanding when I said I preferred Tivo to their DVR (unlike DTV who constantly told me they knew better). I requested two cable cards for the S3 (our main TV) and one for the other (record on some, but less necessary with sharing over the network -- mostly buffering live). Also a non-DVR cable box for the bed room TV which is only used for watching live TV (weather, late news, end of a sports event).

Took a couple of weeks for the on site. The tech was courteous, but was new and admitted a limited experience with cable cards and none with Tivo.
I drove most of the configuration, and let him install the cards and talk with their activation folks. A couple of small problems struck:

1. The channels came in fuzzy after the install. He started insisting that the problem was the Tivos, but when we setup the stand alone cable box, it too had problems. He traced to to a bad connector coming into the house and problem resolved.

2. He switched to mCards after some problems with the sCards. I was pleased to see that the single mCard actually gave me two tuners on the HD Tivo. My mistake was not waiting for the guided setup to complete on the S3 and belatedly realized that it required two cards to record on both tuners. Had to schedule a follow up visit to get this corrected.

Otherwise, the first couple of weeks on the new setup have gone well. I love having the Tivo wireless adapters (and my wife likes not having telephone cords strung across the floor). I've noticed better picture quality than DTV. I find the daily messages from Tivo highlighting the features amusing, since I have used them for so long, but can see how that would be nice for a new subscriber.

Anyway, I am also looking to connect with other Tivo/TWC users in the Portland, ME area. If there are any such beasts about, please PM me. Wondering what if anything has been heard about the Tuning Adapters here (the sales rep said they would support them when they released, but I took that with a grain of salt).

Be seeing you,

Craig
NetOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:43 PM   #3450
59er
TiVotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim N. View Post
If you are referring to USAHD and CNNHD, TWC seems to have yanked them right after close of the Olympics. They probably struck a deal with NBC to source the Olympic programming, but will now demand more money from subscribers to see these channels an an on-going basis. Or, they will wait for SDV to be implemented in SoCal before they offer the channels.
TWC in NYC has so far kept USAHD on 195 and CNBCHD on 196. (CNNHD has been on 710 for awhile now and was not for the Olympics, but I am sure you meant CNBC.)

We got a lineup change message from our TiVo HD on Tuesday or Wednesday informing us that a handful of channels had been deleted -- all NBC olympic channels -- but I was pleased to see that these two real HD channels have thus far stuck around. I am still cautiously optimistic, because the oddball channel numbers don't make them seem like permanent additions. But perhaps TWC will move them to the appropriate 700-level channel number. FINGERS CROSSED!

By the way, in reference to difficulties with cable cards, I had trouble a few months back with losing all my encrypted channels from my TiVo HD, after swapping out my TWC DVR for a TWC HD non-DVR box, and the tech support CSR was just terrific. He knew what to do, he was nice while doing it, and he made me grateful for TWC NYC, which has overall been great. So I wouldn't feel the need to call the national CC hotline until I found I wasn't getting help from tech support/customer service.

Last edited by 59er : 08-28-2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: To avoid double-posting