TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-08-2008, 10:07 AM   #3361
Cainebj

well so much for my excitement about getting Burn Notice in Hi-Def

i just called TWC NYC and they said that after the Olympics on August 24th that USA-HD and CNBC-HD will go away.

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:54 AM   #3362
NiteCourt

Resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59er View Post
Check out this url:
http://consumerist.com/5013973/reach...stomer-service

That has contact info for Time Warner Cable Executive Customer Service.
Thanks. I saw that. And I also found the email address for the TWC NEO Regional Manager and fired off an email on Sunday. Monday my wife got a call from his assistant who was very nice. On Tuesday a tech, who was also very nice, who usually only does business installs, installed one multistream card and it is working now. (crossing fingers)

I'm happy that it's resolved but I'm unhappy on how it had to get done. It shouldn't be that way. TWC needs to improve customer service.
NiteCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #3363
realityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo777 View Post
I'm in Dallas, TX and today I noticed the addition of USA-HD and CNBC-HD as well, although like you, I am also receiving the "channel not available" message on a black screen. I haven't called my local TW office to verify activation.
In Dayton, it appears we have USA-HD added at least temporarily even though it's not working yet. Same black screen for now. If it's for the Olympics, I wonder when it'll start...
realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #3364
kevo777
My TiVo Gets Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
well so much for my excitement about getting Burn Notice in Hi-Def

i just called TWC NYC and they said that after the Olympics on August 24th that USA-HD and CNBC-HD will go away.
Wow. That makes no sense, although it sounds like something TWC would do. If you're going to allocate the bandwidth for new channels, what does it hurt to keep them permanently? CNBC-HD I can see not keeping. Who watches the standard-def feed even? It's the red-headed step child of 24-hour news channels. But USA-HD??? Umm a fairly prominent channel I suspect.

Way to listen to what paying customers want, TWC. Outstanding.
kevo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #3365
DaveDFW

Quote:
Wow. That makes no sense, although it sounds like something TWC would do. If you're going to allocate the bandwidth for new channels, what does it hurt to keep them permanently? CNBC-HD I can see not keeping. Who watches the standard-def feed even? It's the red-headed step child of 24-hour news channels. But USA-HD??? Umm a fairly prominent channel I suspect.

I'm totally in agreement--they obviously have the bandwidth to present these channels, why take away USA HD and CNBC HD?

I was excited to see the new channel alert on Tivo this morning, and then promptly disappointed to learn they're all going away.

TTYL
David
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:46 PM   #3366
T-Shee

Quote:

(USA-HD looks like it might as well be the "Monk" channel. It's all re-runs, all the time. I probably won't miss it, but...)

Still, the thought of adding HD channels and then removing them is a violation of logic - consistent, at least, with TWC's standard operating procedures.
ESATA = Antec MX-1, Samsung HD501LJ
T-Shee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:31 PM   #3367
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Shee View Post
(USA-HD looks like it might as well be the "Monk" channel. It's all re-runs, all the time. I probably won't miss it, but...)
Then you are totally missing out cos' it's got Burn Notice, In Plain Sight and L&O Criminal Intent new shows this summer. Plus that Psych show that I don't watch.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:28 PM   #3368
pomerlp

I'm bummed about USA. Why not give it to us. Man they treat us like crap.
pomerlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:17 AM   #3369
Interpol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortedloop View Post
TWC adds USA-HD just in time for the Olympics, too bad that it, and the concurrently added CNBC-HD (will they have Olympic content?) aren't received on my Tivo Series 3. I get a "channel not available" and black screen.

Anyone in LA actually receive these channels (450 and 451) on a cablecard?
I am in the TWC South Bay/Torrance area. I'm receiving 450 (USA-HD) and 451 (CNBC-HD) with a cablecard installed directly in my TV, so I can verify that these channels are NOT switched. I can also receive these channels fine with a Scientific Atlanta 4250HDC box from TWC.

However, I am unable to view anything on these channels with my Tivo HD with 2 single stream CableCards installed in it. All I get is black screen, although all the other channels I subscribe to come in fine.

Is there any fix to this?
Interpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:14 AM   #3370
pomerlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol View Post
I am in the TWC South Bay/Torrance area. I'm receiving 450 (USA-HD) and 451 (CNBC-HD) with a cablecard installed directly in my TV, so I can verify that these channels are NOT switched. I can also receive these channels fine with a Scientific Atlanta 4250HDC box from TWC.

However, I am unable to view anything on these channels with my Tivo HD with 2 single stream CableCards installed in it. All I get is black screen, although all the other channels I subscribe to come in fine.

Is there any fix to this?
It seems that your cards did not get hit. Unfortunately the only thing you can do is call customer service and hope you get someone who can understand your situation. I was surprised to see that I got them.

FWIW, there is no guide for these channels so any recording you do will have to be manual if you are able to receive them.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:15 AM   #3371
Interpol

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomerlp View Post
It seems that your cards did not get hit. Unfortunately the only thing you can do is call customer service and hope you get someone who can understand your situation. I was surprised to see that I got them.

FWIW, there is no guide for these channels so any recording you do will have to be manual if you are able to receive them.
Actually, I am receiving guide data fine; just not getting any picture or sound! The guide data appears to be accurate as well - I cross-checked it with the TWC guide on my SA box.

I will call TWC and see what they can do. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:47 AM   #3372
Distortedloop

Quote:

I think I was the first to mention that these 2 stations had appeared in the listings. Never got around to coming back and posting that they were for the Olympics only until now.

I guess we could bitch that they aren't staying around, and at the dearth of HD channels (compared to DirecTV) so far, but I'm actually just going to be thankful that TWC decided to make these channels available in HD for the Olympics.

While I would like to see all channels in HD, if I had to pick a select few, neither USA nor CNBC would be high on the list (although I'd like to see CNBC's lovely Erin Burnett in HD each morning).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I'm on TWC NYC - does anyone know if the USA-HD and CNBC-HD are just for the Olympics or if they are here to stay? In NYC, they have been added as 195 and 196 which are not the general HD tier of the +700's.

There are other threads that a couple of other Olympics related channels (NBCBSK and NBCOC - 197 and 198) are temporary.
There was an Olympic logo and a message on the channels for about 36 hours that I noticed before the games started that stated they would only be available for the 17 days of the Olympics.
Distortedloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #3373
Distortedloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd107 View Post
I can't believe what idiots these tech support people can be.

I'm have TWC San Diego service with my TiVo S3, and have the same problem.

It's because they moved Universal HD to SDV. You WILL NOT be able to tune this until TWC distributes the Tuning Adapters for the S3.

Amazing that TWC wasted so much time and resources trying to fix your problem which is not fixable until they give you a Tuning Adapter.
No, you are incorrect for my situation. These channels are not switched, and I had been receiving UHD all along, and it came back on the night before my scheduled repair visit. Obviously some glitch at the server end they found before rolling the repair truck the next day.
Distortedloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:57 PM   #3374
pomerlp

Quote:
Actually, I am receiving guide data fine; just not getting any picture or sound! The guide data appears to be accurate as well - I cross-checked it with the TWC guide on my SA box.

I will call TWC and see what they can do. Thanks.
Wait. You say you show the guide data with the channels listed and info? But no picture?

I don't get it. Guide data comes from Tribune Media and it's not on my guide. But I have the channels.

Man, things just keep getting more and more strange.

Edit. I now have guide data.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #3375
franzey

Ok, I got the notice via Tivo about USA HD being added to the lineup. Has anyone been able to WATCH this newly added channel? I am getting the run around at TWC about the channel. Half say I don't have the channel, the other half say I do and can't figure out why I can't view it. Is this just a Tivo mixup?
franzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #3376
gbrown

NO NO and NO!

Once again TW-San Diego has proven they are idiots! I get the notice on my S3 that there are new channels including the Olympic channels and USAHD. I tune, no signal. So I call and am put on hold for 30 minutes. Finally, I get some dweeb and ask him if these new channels are SDV. He says "definitely not"! So I ask him why I am not able to get them. He says because I "probably missed the update signal". He tells me he is going to send the update to my box. THEN he goes, "Oh, you have a TiVo. They use CableCards". I remind him that I told him that at the beginning.

He decided that I need to reboot the system. I tell him that this might take a while. He tells me to turn off the TiVo. I tell him that there is no way to do that and it requires a power plug pull, and will keep him online for 30 minutes. After we do the whole "one card at a time" configuration, I'm now not getting several of the regular HD channels that I used to get. So we repeat the process.

Now we are 45 minutes into this process and he says that his Supervisor just passed him a note that says that TiVo cant get the new channels. I remind him that my opening question was if the new channels were SDV. He again claims that they are not. But that he doesn't know why I cant get the new channels.

In the words of Bugs Bunny, "What a maroon"!
gbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #3377
pomerlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzey View Post
Ok, I got the notice via Tivo about USA HD being added to the lineup. Has anyone been able to WATCH this newly added channel? I am getting the run around at TWC about the channel. Half say I don't have the channel, the other half say I do and can't figure out why I can't view it. Is this just a Tivo mixup?
I'm getting it just fine. But I did read somewhere about somebody who had to call customer service and they did something on their end. Apparently not everybody's cards are being hit, and if they don't realize the cards are paired they won't take the hit at all.

And you're getting the run around from TW? How surprising.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #3378
franzey

I called talked to two gerbils on the phone, one person online and finally one supervisor. Apparently our "region" Southwest Ohio isn't getting Universal HD for free during the Olympics, we are not getting USA-HD, and we are still not getting the local NBC affiliate on Digital Cable. We are getting screwed 8 ways from Sunday. He said other regions are in fact offering USA HD and Universal HD for free and we got into the whole conversation about why our region refuses to give us what other regions have and he of course blamed the networks. He said I need to call them and request them to add themselves to Time Warner cable in our area. Of course it can't be that TWC is just being stupid. Supervisor told me that they "don't know what we want" unless we tell the networks. Whatever. TWC pisses me off more and more. I will get FIOS the second after they install it.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #3379
Interpol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
Once again TW-San Diego has proven they are idiots! I get the notice on my S3 that there are new channels including the Olympic channels and USAHD. I tune, no signal. So I call and am put on hold for 30 minutes. Finally, I get some dweeb and ask him if these new channels are SDV. He says "definitely not"! So I ask him why I am not able to get them. He says because I "probably missed the update signal". He tells me he is going to send the update to my box. THEN he goes, "Oh, you have a TiVo. They use CableCards". I remind him that I told him that at the beginning.

He decided that I need to reboot the system. I tell him that this might take a while. He tells me to turn off the TiVo. I tell him that there is no way to do that and it requires a power plug pull, and will keep him online for 30 minutes. After we do the whole "one card at a time" configuration, I'm now not getting several of the regular HD channels that I used to get. So we repeat the process.
The 'tech' (I use the term lightly) I spoke to told me to do the exact same thing, and I told HER exactly what you did - that rebooting/powering down would take a long time, and that probably wasn't the issue. Ultimately she told me my cablecards needed to be replaced and to exchange them at the nearest TWC office. TOTAL BS - the cards are fine, and I find it hard to believe that both S-cards in the Tivo would suddenly become defective when the cards in the SA box and my Sony TV work fine.

I couldn't believe she was surprised when I rated her customer service a 5/10 and she had the gall to ask me why.

So now I'm stuck with the problem unsolved - the Tivo displays valid guide data, but USAHD and CNBCHD are just blank channels with no audio or video.

Quote:
Now we are 45 minutes into this process and he says that his Supervisor just passed him a note that says that TiVo cant get the new channels. I remind him that my opening question was if the new channels were SDV. He again claims that they are not. But that he doesn't know why I cant get the new channels.

In the words of Bugs Bunny, "What a maroon"!
I know for a FACT that these channels are not SDV here in the South Bay, because I am receiving them fine with my QAM tuner on my TV with a cablecard plugged in it.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:14 PM   #3380
pomerlp

Quote:
The 'tech' (I use the term lightly) I spoke to told me to do the exact same thing, and I told HER exactly what you did - that rebooting/powering down would take a long time, and that probably wasn't the issue. Ultimately she told me my cablecards needed to be replaced and to exchange them at the nearest TWC office. TOTAL BS - the cards are fine, and I find it hard to believe that both S-cards in the Tivo would suddenly become defective when the cards in the SA box and my Sony TV work fine.

I couldn't believe she was surprised when I rated her customer service a 5/10 and she had the gall to ask me why.

So now I'm stuck with the problem unsolved - the Tivo displays valid guide data, but USAHD and CNBCHD are just blank channels with no audio or video.

I know for a FACT that these channels are not SDV here in the South Bay, because I am receiving them fine with my QAM tuner on my TV with a cablecard plugged in it.
Another fine example of TW not properly informing even Supervisors about this.

If you call this number, your problem will get resolved quickly. They are only available M-F 9am to 5pm. I think that's EST
Old 08-10-2008, 07:47 AM   #3381
franzey

I think the big problem is that TWC is adding the channel by their region and not across the board. For example, parts of Ohio got USA HD but our area did not. Tivo just picked up the lineup change in my general area and told me I had the channel when in fact I do not. Tivo was just too generous with the messages stating we had a lineup change.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:13 AM   #3382
bobrt6676

TWC Dayton

Quote:
I think the big problem is that TWC is adding the channel by their region and not across the board. For example, parts of Ohio got USA HD but our area did not. Tivo just picked up the lineup change in my general area and told me I had the channel when in fact I do not. Tivo was just too generous with the messages stating we had a lineup change.
I have an SA8300HD from TWC Dayton and I just checked 769 USAHD and it is working. BUT my TivoHD w/cc no signal. Debating when to call TWC and ask them to hit the CC's. Always an adventure and could be painful.
You just never know what your going to get!!
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:17 AM   #3383
derekcbart

I'm in Northeast Los Angeles and my S3 sees that all of the new HD channels are there, and I can view them without needing a Tuning Resolver, but there is no Guide information for any of the channels so I cannot program my S3 to record anything. I'm going to be calling TWC on Monday or Tuesday to see if there is anything that they can do about it.
derekcbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:12 PM   #3384
BruceShultes

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekcbart View Post
I'm in Northeast Los Angeles and my S3 sees that all of the new HD channels are there, and I can view them without needing a Tuning Resolver, but there is no Guide information for any of the channels so I cannot program my S3 to record anything. I'm going to be calling TWC on Monday or Tuesday to see if there is anything that they can do about it.
If you can find out what time and new HD channel the events you want are scheduled to be broadcase, set your S3 up to perform a manual recording from start time to end time on that channel.

You do not need to have guide data to able to schedule a recording.
BruceShultes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #3385
franzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrt6676 View Post
I have an SA8300HD from TWC Dayton and I just checked 769 USAHD and it is working. BUT my TivoHD w/cc no signal. Debating when to call TWC and ask them to hit the CC's. Always an adventure and could be painful.
You just never know what your going to get!!
You are in Huber? So am I. I talked to three separate people at Time Warner that said USAHD wasn't offered in Time Warner Dayton at all. You have been successful at viewing this channel?
Old 08-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #3386
bobrt6676

TWC Dayton

Quote:
You are in Huber? So am I. I talked to three separate people at Time Warner that said USAHD wasn't offered in Time Warner Dayton at all. You have been successful at viewing this channel?
Yes, I am in Huber. I watched the Olympics this morning on 769 on a SA8300HD. Apparently they only have programming at certain times. The station has "programming unavailable" airing at this time. The guide says Olympic coverage will resume at 2:00AM. But my TivoHD's CC's are not bringing in the station.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:33 AM   #3387
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekcbart View Post
I'm in Time-Warner East San Fernando Valley (formerly Adelphia) and they changed the QAM assignments a few days ago.

Instead of 93-501 for KCBS, 93-502 for KNBC, Time-Warner has changed them to match the OTA equivalents so KCBS is 2-1, NBC is 4-1, etc.

Unfortunately, it looks like they are compressing the signal more as my file sizes are about 40% smaller for KCBS and KTLA.
Let's hope this is only for the Olympics.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:16 AM   #3388
franzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrt6676 View Post
Yes, I am in Huber. I watched the Olympics this morning on 769 on a SA8300HD. Apparently they only have programming at certain times. The station has "programming unavailable" airing at this time. The guide says Olympic coverage will resume at 2:00AM. But my TivoHD's CC's are not bringing in the station.
This is the response I got to my complaint with Time Warner:

"We understand that you are having issues with channel 769 in the Dayton area. This channel will be called "Beijing HD", and will air live programming from 2:00 am to noon (until 2pm on the weekends) and provides the HD version of USA Channel programming. 165 hours simulcast of USA will appear on this channel only during the specified time, and only for the duration of the Olympic coverage. The channel will not be available for viewing outside of the previously specified time frames."

This still doesn't address the noncompatibility with the Tivo, but explains why no other programming is available on the channel. It will literally only broadcast live olympics coverage for 10 hours from 2AM to 12PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:20 PM   #3389
bobrt6676

TWC Dayton 769

Quote:
This is the response I got to my complaint with Time Warner:

"We understand that you are having issues with channel 769 in the Dayton area. This channel will be called "Beijing HD", and will air live programming from 2:00 am to noon (until 2pm on the weekends) and provides the HD version of USA Channel programming. 165 hours simulcast of USA will appear on this channel only during the specified time, and only for the duration of the Olympic coverage. The channel will not be available for viewing outside of the previously specified time frames."

This still doesn't address the noncompatibility with the Tivo, but explains why no other programming is available on the channel. It will literally only broadcast live olympics coverage for 10 hours from 2AM to 12PM.
They probably have to authorize it, send a signal to the CC's. The question is is it worth the pain of spending 30 min. on hold, getting someone without a clue and or screwing up what we already have working to get one channel airing part time for less than 2 weeks.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #3390
Cainebj

TWC just irritates me when it comes to their HD line-up especially since they are running commercials claiming to have the most extensive HD availability, yet,
no USA-HD, no Bravo-HD, no Sci-Fi-HD, no A&E-HD, no AMC-HD...