TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-29-2008, 07:34 PM   #3331
Combat Medic
No guts, no glory

Anybody have the phone number for Time Warner's Cable Card office. I think it used to be their legal office.

Thanks
Combat Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:08 PM   #3332
rpongett

Time Warner claims that, with CableCards, you can't get sports subscriptions such as NBA League Pass and ESPN Gameplan.

Does anyone using a Series 3 and a CableCard know if this is true? It seems odd since it really doesn't require a 2 way message. You just order the service before the season and then you can receive the appropriate channels.

Also, they claim no channels have been switched to SDV yet in Los Angeles. Does anyone know if this is true? Their website seems completely non-informative.
rpongett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:32 AM   #3333
Austin Bike

I can't speak to LA, but in Austin, it seems like they have complied with the "letter of the law" but not necessarily the "spirit of the law".

The FCC forced them to offer cable cards, but that doesn't mean that they have to make it full featured. The tech that was out at my house was really nice, and really well versed in how to dance around this issue. More than once I heard "if you had our box...."
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:38 PM   #3334
NiteCourt

Angry Time Warner Cable Incompetency

It all started a few months ago when TWC pushed some new update to our digital convertor box. After that our Tivo which uses an IR remote to change the channel on the convertor box would not change the channel correctly. The funny thing is it would change the channel correctly when the convertor box’s guide would display ‘no guide data available’. Anyway after hearing horror stories from my co-worker and his TWC DVR I knew I wanted to stick with TIVO. So to solve the problem I decided to get an HD TIVO and get cable cards installed for the digital channels. I called customer service and talked to some lady with a bad accent and was very hard to understand. She said go to the local office. I did. My local office said to call customer service. Oh what fun. I must have talked to the sister of the first CSR since she also had a bad accent and I couldn’t understand her. I told her the local office said I had to schedule an appointment to have the cards delivered and installed. I wanted one multistream card since there are two tuners in the box. Only singlestream cards are available in this area. I said fine, I need two singlestream cards since it also works with 2 singlestream cards. The first appointment available was in two weeks. Oh how I miss Adelphia’s next day service.

Two weeks later the tech shows up and everything goes well. Two months after that I turn on the TV and there is a message stating there is firmware upgrade in process for cable card one. It should take 40 – 60 minutes. Two hours later it still has the same message. I call customer service and this time I must have talked to the first lady’s cousin since I could barely understand her. She sends a reset signal to the card. Nothing happens. Then she says there is an upgrade in the area and it may take a day. I tell her I’m going to call back in 8 hours. 8 hours later it is still ‘upgrading’ so I call and force her to schedule a service appointment. That was on June 28th. The service tech comes on July 15th with no cable cards. He says he can hook up a cable box. I tell him that since the ‘upgrade’ your boxes no longer work correctly. He then says I need a multistream card but they don’t have any. He’ll have TWC from the city of come out tomorrow with one since the former Adelphia areas don’t have them. July 16th, the next day. A service tech comes with a cable box and no cards. Idiots. He make some calls and says it has to be ordered and takes 7 days. So here it is July 31, 2008 and no cable card, no calls from Time Warner. Time Warner’s customer service is non-existent and everyone I talk to doesn’t know their a** from a hole in ground. No one can tell me a thing.
NiteCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:53 PM   #3335
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteCourt View Post
Two months after that I turn on the TV and there is a message stating there is firmware upgrade in process for cable card one. It should take 40 – 60 minutes. Two hours later it still has the same message. I call customer service and this time I must have talked to the first lady’s cousin since I could barely understand her. She sends a reset signal to the card. Nothing happens.
I have Time Warner here in Columbus Ohio. There was a bug in a particular version of the S-Card firmware that would say it was doing a firmware upgrade even though it wasn't (at that time Time Warner Mid-Ohio never did software upgrades for Cable Cards over the network). Back in Sept 2007 I had this issue and TW came out and replaced my faulty S-Card with a M-Card. The tech didn't unpair the S-Card before inserting the M-card which caused all sorts of issues but eventually it worked out ok and has been running fine ever since.

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #3336
59er
TiVotee

Exclamation NiteCourt, this may help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteCourt View Post
So here it is July 31, 2008 and no cable card, no calls from Time Warner. Time Warner’s customer service is non-existent and everyone I talk to doesn’t know their a** from a hole in ground. No one can tell me a thing.
Check out this url:
http://consumerist.com/5013973/reach...stomer-service

That has contact info for Time Warner Cable Executive Customer Service.
Quote:
203-351-2221 connects you directly to Time Warner Cable's executive customer care division. Jeff Simmermon, Time Warner's Digital Communications Director, sent this number to us himself. What a good example for other companies to emulate!

59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #3337
Meatball

I've been checking into the M-Card's in Charlotte, NC, and even though the TWC site says they should be out Q4 07 - Q1 08, they don't have them yet.

Supposedly they are up and running in Raleigh, NC (anyone up there able to verify?) and will be rolled out in the Charlotte area in the fall and they'll inform customers about the cards when they're out.

Of course, I don't believe them, but I've got my fingers crossed.
Meatball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:23 PM   #3338
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatball View Post
I've been checking into the M-Card's in Charlotte, NC, and even though the TWC site says they should be out Q4 07 - Q1 08, they don't have them yet.

Supposedly they are up and running in Raleigh, NC (anyone up there able to verify?) and will be rolled out in the Charlotte area in the fall and they'll inform customers about the cards when they're out.

Of course, I don't believe them, but I've got my fingers crossed.
M Cards have been available for a loooong time here in Raleigh. I have 2 in my S3 and one in my THD.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:34 PM   #3339
trol1374

I had the same issues when I first tried to get my card. I asked to be transferred to a manager. After a few calm talks about why a card took so long to get delivered and then learning I couldn't get half the HD channels I was paying for, she gave me a HD box at no additional charge.
trol1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #3340
Austin Bike

I went to the time warner office and dropped off my cable cards this week.

If the digital signal was decent I would have kept them, but the fact that I was paying for digital and getting analog on most of the channels that I wanted simply meant an extra ~$180/year for next to nothing.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:42 PM   #3341
Firekite

Paying for digital and getting analog? Are you sure you've got that one right?
Firekite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #3342
m_jonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firekite View Post
Paying for digital and getting analog? Are you sure you've got that one right?
Yep.

TW does that here too in Albany, NY for some of their channels.

See, they switched to SDV and then moved also to digital simulcast. Then they forced all the cable cards to use the digital simulcast signal, which meant that we lost "analog" channels because their digital counterpart was SDV.

To fix this, TW told the cable card to re-map the "digital" channels to the analog frequency.

So we are, in essence, paying for digital cable and getting the RF channels for like 14 or so "digital" channels.
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:40 PM   #3343
dgknight3

My question..

I currently have TWC Standard Cable, no STB, and a Series 2DT Tivo. I recently purchased a Panasonic plasma and determined via it's tuner I'm only receiving analog channels, I could not pickup any local HD via the cable or any digital channels. But I hooked up an OTA to the TV and get great pictures for Local Broadcasts. I don't really want to pay for HD from TWC as about the only extra channel I would watch would be ESPN. But I do hate recording SD shows on the Tivo. So I'm considering purchasing an HD Tivo with Lifetime Service. Apparently, I can then drop the 12.95 monthly Tivo fee and give up the Series2.
So then with HD Tivo, record HD OTA (which is most of the stuff we record, my wife records some other things 'Lifetime' but she can't tell the difference in the quality ) and the other SD channels via the TWC cable.

My question, with this plan, is there anything in the future, like SDV ,that would screw this up?. Or will the digital switch in Feb 2009 require me to get CableCards?
I don't want to spring $ for the Tivo to have it not work 6 months down the line.

Sorry for the wordiness but want to make sure my ducks are in a row before I explain to the spouse why we need an HD Tivo.
dgknight3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:39 PM   #3344
Austin Bike

As I understand it, the 2009 change to digital only impacts broadcast (over the air TV), not cable TV. You cable provider may decide at any time not to support analog cable and move only to digital. At that point you will need cable cards.

The issue with cable cards today is twofold:

1.) While cable cards allow you to get digital cable without a box, not all channels are digital.
2.) Cable cards do not necessarily allow you to get every channel that you see on the digital cable lineup.

Somewhere, somehow, in the future you will be forced to get cable cards (it's only a matter of time before the cable company decides not to support analog any longer). I wouldn't be surprised if the cable companies use the 2009 deadline as a way to move out of analog.

I have 2 series 2 boxes and added a tivo HD this past month. There are inputs for both antenna (HD) and cable. It seamlessly integrates TW cable (standard analog) and over the air hi-def.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:27 AM   #3345
Distortedloop

TWC adds USA-HD just in time for the Olympics

TWC adds USA-HD just in time for the Olympics, too bad that it, and the concurrently added CNBC-HD (will they have Olympic content?) aren't received on my Tivo Series 3. I get a "channel not available" and black screen.

Anyone in LA actually receive these channels (450 and 451) on a cablecard?
Distortedloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:32 AM   #3346

When will the TimeWarner cable cards get all HD channels?

I just got my Tivo HD DVR and a cable card ... the tech explained that I wouldn't get all the HD channels due to the 2-way communication issue. He also mentioned that Time Warner was working on solving the problem but that they'd been working on it for a year ... any idea when this will be fixed?
78717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:41 AM   #3347
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

I am not looking forward to this. We just got our new tivo last night and have yet to call TWC [Eastern North Carolina] for the cards. I did look up charges and it's $43 for the freakin' installation plus a per card fee per month.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:46 PM   #3348
franzey

Arrow TWC Southwest Ohio moving to SDV

I just got a letter today (August 6) that was dated July 9 saying that Time Warner Southwest Ohio is moving about 70-90 channels to SDV on August 15. They are "lesser watched" stations, but it is just the first nail in the coffin for my Tivo's. Has anyone else in the area gotten the letter? Any more news on the so called "dongle" that everyone has heard about but no one has seen? Do I need to ditch the Tivo's?

Last edited by franzey : 08-06-2008 at 06:04 PM. Reason: added dates
franzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:39 PM   #3349
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzey View Post
I just got a letter today (August 6) that was dated July 9 saying that Time Warner Southwest Ohio is moving about 70-90 channels to SDV on August 15. They are "lesser watched" stations, but it is just the first nail in the coffin for my Tivo's. Has anyone else in the area gotten the letter? Any more news on the so called "dongle" that everyone has heard about but no one has seen? Do I need to ditch the Tivo's?
According to a contact I have at Time Warner Mid Ohio, TW is definitely testing the Tuning Adaptor, they didn't have a time frame on when it will be released though. I hope by years end at the latest.

Any way you can post the list of channels?

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #3350
realityboy

Quote:
I got that letter also, and the letter itself mentions that the tuning adapter should be available later this year (they specifically mention that it will work with Tivo series 3), and that they expect there to be no extra charge. Also, notice they did not move any HD channels even the lesser watched ones so I don't really see this as too much of a hassle although I will probably get rid of the digital tiers that are affected for a few months if i can't receive all the channels.
realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:17 PM   #3351
franzey

I agree, that the channel selection in the letter isn't terribly bothersome, but I can only imagine that once they start, it won't be long before most of the channels are moved. TW Ohio doesn't have a great lineup of HD content yet, and I can only assume it is due in part to bandwidth issues that should be mitigated by moving to SDV across the majority of their lineup. It is good to hear that there is something in the works, I just hate to base my three tivo's on a "check is in the mail" type of outlook.... I don't have much choice though do I
franzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:48 AM   #3352
Effinay

Quote:
I got the letter, too.

The only 2 extra* tiers I have (digital games and Encore) are both affected!

Oh well.. I have another TV with an S2 and their crappy STB that will still get those channels. Hopefully the tuning resolver will be available soon.
Effinay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:53 AM   #3353
scurby2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortedloop View Post
TWC adds USA-HD just in time for the Olympics, too bad that it, and the concurrently added CNBC-HD (will they have Olympic content?) aren't received on my Tivo Series 3. I get a "channel not available" and black screen.

Anyone in LA actually receive these channels (450 and 451) on a cablecard?
I am in OC and also got those 2 HD channels updated in the lineup, but no signal "channel not avaialble"..........called TW and they state they wont be activated until October..........
scurby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:15 PM   #3354
bobrt6676

TWC Dayton SDV

Quote:
Received same letter. Most of the list is meaningless to me, but there are 2 channels that could be a problem this football/basketball season. 114 ESPNU and 149 CSTV had a few games of interest last season including UD and OSU.
I certainly would wait before ditching your Tivos.
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:01 PM   #3355
bobrt6676

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Cifranci View Post
According to a contact I have at Time Warner Mid Ohio, TW is definitely testing the Tuning Adaptor, they didn't have a time frame on when it will be released though. I hope by years end at the latest.

Any way you can post the list of channels?
TWC SDV.doc
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:11 PM   #3356
realityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effinay View Post
I got the letter, too.

The only 2 extra* tiers I have (digital games and Encore) are both affected!

Oh well.. I have another TV with an S2 and their crappy STB that will still get those channels. Hopefully the tuning resolver will be available soon.
Same here, I'll get a set-top box for my series 2 for now. Can't really do without BBC America or MTV2. Well, I could, but I would rather not. End of the year should mean that it will be available in 4 months at the most, right?

Hopefully this means more HD soon.
realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:17 PM   #3357
kevo777
My TiVo Gets Me

Quote:
I'm in Dallas, TX and today I noticed the addition of USA-HD and CNBC-HD as well, although like you, I am also receiving the "channel not available" message on a black screen. I haven't called my local TW office to verify activation.
kevo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:33 PM   #3358
bsd107

Quote:
Not sure if this is the best place to post this, I see so many people flamed for starting a new thread or posting in the wrong section, makes me nervous to post at all. ;-)

Anyways, Time Warner here in San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles suberb), with a Series 3 and two cable cards. I was just curious if anyone else has started NOT receiving the Universal High Def channel (419 on our grid).

Was getting it fine here until middle of last week. The cable card says it's tuned to the channel properly in diagnostics, with a signal lock, but all I get is a black screen. Channel 420 (HDNet Movies) is full of heavy pixelation and freezes, not enough to make it unwatchable, but annoying to watch. All other HD tier channels coming in fine, as always.

I called Tier 1 support, and at first she said 419 (UHD) wasn't in my line up, but then she backtracked and had me reboot the machine (which I'd already done) and then she sent a reset signal, and I rebooted again, followed by another reset.

Problems not resolved, so she's sending a repair tech on Tuesday.

I'm a little panicked as UHD will have a lot of the Olympics content and I just want to make sure that it's something with my box, and not something stupid at Time Warner like turning that channel off for Cable Cards.

Anyone in the area who can check for reception? Thanks.
I can't believe what idiots these tech support people can be.

I'm have TWC San Diego service with my TiVo S3, and have the same problem.

It's because they moved Universal HD to SDV. You WILL NOT be able to tune this until TWC distributes the Tuning Adapters for the S3.

Amazing that TWC wasted so much time and resources trying to fix your problem which is not fixable until they give you a Tuning Adapter.
bsd107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:35 PM   #3359
gamo62

I just receivd the dreaded SDV letter here in the Cincinnati market. It was only a matter of time. It was good while it lasted. It did say pretty much the same as the others. That there should be an adapter provided at no charge towards the end of the year.

We shall see...
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #3360
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo777 View Post
I noticed the addition of USA-HD and CNBC-HD
I'm on TWC NYC - does anyone know if the USA-HD and CNBC-HD are just for the Olympics or if they are here to stay? In NYC, they have been added as 195 and 196 which are not the general HD tier of the +700's.

There are other threads that a couple of other Olympics related channels (NBCBSK and NBCOC - 197 and 198) are temporary.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote