TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-03-2008, 08:02 PM   #3301
moval1

TWC "All the Best" and a Tivo Series 1.

Originally I was going to ditch TWC standard for Verizon Fios, but it just got too painful to deal with them. Want a bundle deal? Gotta order it online. Try and order it online, get an error page that tells you to call an 800 number, but you can only get the bundle deal online. And of course my protests of bait and switch went unaddressed, so I considered TWC's "All the Best."

Besides a flakey tech taking and returning my original modem, things have worked out great. Today I picked up the digital cable receivers and installed them myself in a few hours. And that includes figuring out how to add a Series 1 Tivo to the mix.

TWC services: Internet, Digital Cable, Telephone

Hardware:
1 Motorola DCT2224
1 Philips PTV300 Series 1 Tivo
1 IR cable
misc. cables

Steps:
Run the cable from the wall to the Motorola receiver's signal in port.
Next run a cable from the Motorola to the Tivo's signal in port.
Then run a cable from the Tivo to your television set.
Next hook up the IR cable to the Tivo and place the transmitters on top of the Motorola so they hang over the central display.
Finally, run through the Tivo setup routine again, slowly.

Once you tell Tivo that there's a cable box attached it will start asking you questions about the provider, the box manufacturer, etc, so just work through the screens carefully. What I really enjoyed was figuring out which code the Tivo would need in order to control the Motorola via the IR cable. You're presented with a list of various codes so just experiment with them until you get the response you want from the Motorola. After the Tivo dials in for updated channel info and crunches the data you're 100% ready to go.

Conclusion:
Next I'm going to install a network card so I can stop using the phone line.
But I'm so glad that I didn't have to get rid of my Series 1 because it's one of my favorite pieces of hardware. I bought it used and it was a little jacked up but it has run terrific since I took it out of the box almost 3 years ago.
moval1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:39 PM   #3302
rp1790

TWC - Kansas City CC Install

Just another moan...mostly. I’m in Overland Park Kansas.

I'm on my 4th visit by a tech. I have a TivoHD

1st visit:
Tech came out and installed 2 x M-cards. analog channels and local HD's were working. He said the others would come through in a few hours; they didn’t even after Tech Spt sent ‘hit’s” or whatever it is. Scheduled a 2nd visit.

2nd Visit:
I’m not home but my daughter is, she says he clearly doesn’t know what he’s doing. He takes the two original two cards and installs one M-Card and leaves the Tivo in basically the same state. Analogue channels work and some HD’s.

3rd visit:
Yipee, a tech that is professional and knows what he is doing. He installs 1 x M-Card and an SC Card. Manages to get all channels working. It “seems” like the main reason they weren’t working is that when installing and/or changing CC’s my account was getting set back to basic cable and losing my digital tier.
After the tech leaves Tivo wants me to do guided setup (again) and ask me to remove the card in Slot 2. I remove card 1 by mistake, put it back in and remove card 2…after this nothing works. CC’s are no longer authorized and onto the 4th visit.

4th Visit.
Tech comes up, doesn’t know what he’s doing (worst yet), doesn’t know what a tivo is and I have to tell him every step to do. Eventually I convince him to install 2 x SC cards and EVENTUALLY get both going. Similar problem to before my digital tier gets dropped off and I have to convince the Tech I should have it…..ta da…after he rings back in and says I’m supposed to have the digital tier all the channels are working. This guy was an idiot. When my digital channels weren’t working he was walking out the door and I had to stop him to check my provisioning (about the digital tier being dropped off my acct). He also said they had received an email saying they would no longer install and/or support cablecards anymore. I told him about the FCC and he was a bit taken back.

Just my one tip is if you are getting a grey screen on a digital channel, it’s possible they have dropped a package off when installing / swapping the cablecards, ask them to check it. And the other thing is, when the CC’s are authorized the channels should come through within minutes, if not immediately.

I now seem to have all channels available, nothing missing because of SDV that I can.

Kind of off topic but when two channels are recording and I go to change channel it only gives me the option of stopping recording one channel and doesn’t give me the option to stop recording one or two. Is this a Tivo bug or…? I’m sure it should list both recordings and allow you to choose which one to stop recording..
rp1790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:45 PM   #3303
franzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp1790 View Post
Kind of off topic but when two channels are recording and I go to change channel it only gives me the option of stopping recording one channel and doesn’t give me the option to stop recording one or two. Is this a Tivo bug or…? I’m sure it should list both recordings and allow you to choose which one to stop recording..
You need to switch to the tuner (via the info button on your Tivo remote) that has the recording that you wish to stop when you change channels.
franzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #3304
usnret

I'm located just outside Bowling Green, Ohio. Had TW come out last Sat. and he installed the "triple pack". Couldn't install a CC because he was a contractor. Everything works great. Did a setup on the HDTivo. Got the basics fine. Cable person came out today (Maggie) and installed an Mcard (she first called to see what sort of card(s) she needed to bring). Installed the card, the Tivo did the frequency check thing, finished, I got her the info on the card, she called it in, I reran guide setup, and BANG, everything works great!!!
Just wanted to give TW people a kudo here in this area (and this was the first Tivo that she installed a card on).
Regards
usnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:47 PM   #3305
jasonlh

Quote:
Just another moan...mostly. I’m in Overland Park Kansas.

I'm on my 4th visit by a tech. I have a TivoHD

1st visit:
Tech came out and installed 2 x M-cards. analog channels and local HD's were working. He said the others would come through in a few hours; they didn’t even after Tech Spt sent ‘hit’s” or whatever it is. Scheduled a 2nd visit.

2nd Visit:
I’m not home but my daughter is, she says he clearly doesn’t know what he’s doing. He takes the two original two cards and installs one M-Card and leaves the Tivo in basically the same state. Analogue channels work and some HD’s.

3rd visit:
Yipee, a tech that is professional and knows what he is doing. He installs 1 x M-Card and an SC Card. Manages to get all channels working. It “seems” like the main reason they weren’t working is that when installing and/or changing CC’s my account was getting set back to basic cable and losing my digital tier.
After the tech leaves Tivo wants me to do guided setup (again) and ask me to remove the card in Slot 2. I remove card 1 by mistake, put it back in and remove card 2…after this nothing works. CC’s are no longer authorized and onto the 4th visit.

4th Visit.
Tech comes up, doesn’t know what he’s doing (worst yet), doesn’t know what a tivo is and I have to tell him every step to do. Eventually I convince him to install 2 x SC cards and EVENTUALLY get both going. Similar problem to before my digital tier gets dropped off and I have to convince the Tech I should have it…..ta da…after he rings back in and says I’m supposed to have the digital tier all the channels are working. This guy was an idiot. When my digital channels weren’t working he was walking out the door and I had to stop him to check my provisioning (about the digital tier being dropped off my acct). He also said they had received an email saying they would no longer install and/or support cablecards anymore. I told him about the FCC and he was a bit taken back.

Just my one tip is if you are getting a grey screen on a digital channel, it’s possible they have dropped a package off when installing / swapping the cablecards, ask them to check it. And the other thing is, when the CC’s are authorized the channels should come through within minutes, if not immediately.

I now seem to have all channels available, nothing missing because of SDV that I can.

I feel your pain..I too had 3 or 4 visits to get my Tivo Series 3 working back in October by TWC in KC (Gardner actually). My final visit took 3 hours and it included 2 techs and a supervisor to finally get it to work. However, I have not had a problem since then...As long as you don't count the whole SDV debacle that is now starting..
jasonlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:58 PM   #3306
rp1790

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlh View Post
I feel your pain..I too had 3 or 4 visits to get my Tivo Series 3 working back in October by TWC in KC (Gardner actually). My final visit took 3 hours and it included 2 techs and a supervisor to finally get it to work. However, I have not had a problem since then...As long as you don't count the whole SDV debacle that is now starting..
Yep, I see there are some new HD channels in the KC area which are SDV and we won't get. Apparently Tivo are working on some solution or gizmo that will work with SDV channels, I hope it comes out soon. Coming from DirecTV which has superb signal quality and an awesome selection of HD channels....TWC is pretty pathetic.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:27 AM   #3307
mistergogolak

Angry Myrtle Beach Hell...

Okay. I'm getting spooked now. I am a LOOOOONG time Directv customer who got ticked off about the Tivo situation and decided to buy some HDTivos. I'm moving to Myrtle Beach from the Midwest and decided not to re-up with Directv for two more years and pay them to lease their equipment. (To keep me, they ultimately started offering all kinds of freebies. They even offered to let me connect my HDTIVOs to their tuner boxes which I didn't think was possible...) A little too little, a little too late.

Today I was on the phone for the third time with TWC in MB. I was going to run with FIOS but it hasn't been rolled out to my new address yet. As far as I can tell TWC is the only gig in town.

Janice with TWC tells me that all of the hi-def channels in MB are SDV. Huh? From what I could tell they hadn't rolled it out there yet.

Janice much like one of the previous sales people also told me I would need to get their tuners and DVRs if I wanted to receive HD channels with TWC.

Now, I know this is BS. I was also told that I should go with their gear to get the highest resolution picture.

Janice: "Now that the gov't has given up regulating, we can give our subscribers a better picture."
ME: "Yeah, we wouldn't want to make sure that any open standards work. That would just get in the way of progress."

So, besides TWC are there any other service providers in MB that offer better service? Can anyone confirm that all of the HD channels in Myrtle Beach are indeed all SDV? Why am I doing this again???

Any feedback is appreciated.

Gogolak
mistergogolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #3308
rp1790

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergogolak View Post
Okay. I'm getting spooked now. I am a LOOOOONG time Directv customer who got ticked off about the Tivo situation and decided to buy some HDTivos. I'm moving to Myrtle Beach from the Midwest and decided not to re-up with Directv for two more years and pay them to lease their equipment. (To keep me, they ultimately started offering all kinds of freebies. They even offered to let me connect my HDTIVOs to their tuner boxes which I didn't think was possible...) A little too little, a little too late.

Gogolak
Well, personally, I would stick with DirecTV if you possibly can. Their HDDVR is better than a Tivo IMO and no worries with HD channels. The reality is that TWC are going to move more and more to SDV and we are going to get less and less when using cablecards.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #3309
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Well, personally, I would stick with DirecTV if you possibly can. Their HDDVR is better than a Tivo IMO and no worries with HD channels. The reality is that TWC are going to move more and more to SDV and we are going to get less and less when using cablecards.
...until the SDV dongle/adapter comes out, and compatibility returns:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=375723

I'd disagree that DTV's HDDVR is "better" than a TiVo. It's not as bad as many think, and it's getting better. But in terms of usability and reliability, TiVo is still (currently) ahead.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:54 AM   #3310
Distortedloop

Universal High Def gone away on Cable Cards...?

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, I see so many people flamed for starting a new thread or posting in the wrong section, makes me nervous to post at all. ;-)

Anyways, Time Warner here in San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles suberb), with a Series 3 and two cable cards. I was just curious if anyone else has started NOT receiving the Universal High Def channel (419 on our grid).

Was getting it fine here until middle of last week. The cable card says it's tuned to the channel properly in diagnostics, with a signal lock, but all I get is a black screen. Channel 420 (HDNet Movies) is full of heavy pixelation and freezes, not enough to make it unwatchable, but annoying to watch. All other HD tier channels coming in fine, as always.

I called Tier 1 support, and at first she said 419 (UHD) wasn't in my line up, but then she backtracked and had me reboot the machine (which I'd already done) and then she sent a reset signal, and I rebooted again, followed by another reset.

Problems not resolved, so she's sending a repair tech on Tuesday.

I'm a little panicked as UHD will have a lot of the Olympics content and I just want to make sure that it's something with my box, and not something stupid at Time Warner like turning that channel off for Cable Cards.

Anyone in the area who can check for reception? Thanks.
Distortedloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:40 AM   #3311
bobrt6676

TWC Dayton Premium HD Channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortedloop View Post
Not sure if this is the best place to post this, I see so many people flamed for starting a new thread or posting in the wrong section, makes me nervous to post at all. ;-)

Anyways, Time Warner here in San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles suberb), with a Series 3 and two cable cards. I was just curious if anyone else has started NOT receiving the Universal High Def channel (419 on our grid).

Was getting it fine here until middle of last week. The cable card says it's tuned to the channel properly in diagnostics, with a signal lock, but all I get is a black screen. Channel 420 (HDNet Movies) is full of heavy pixelation and freezes, not enough to make it unwatchable, but annoying to watch. All other HD tier channels coming in fine, as always.

I called Tier 1 support, and at first she said 419 (UHD) wasn't in my line up, but then she backtracked and had me reboot the machine (which I'd already done) and then she sent a reset signal, and I rebooted again, followed by another reset.

Problems not resolved, so she's sending a repair tech on Tuesday.

I'm a little panicked as UHD will have a lot of the Olympics content and I just want to make sure that it's something with my box, and not something stupid at Time Warner like turning that channel off for Cable Cards.

Anyone in the area who can check for reception? Thanks.

I had a similar problem with TW premium HD channels, MOJO,HDNET,HDNET MOVIES,UHD. Tier 1 support gave me the same as you. Sent a truck, he replaced CC's, Put an amplifier on the line, problem not solved. Sent out a second truck the next day. This Tech says their is no way it could be a CC problem or signal strength issue because all other HD channels are fine. He calls the office, has the supervisor check my account and found the Premium HD channels were not authorized for the CC's. She authorized(not sure of the exact terminology) I rebooted(I think, maybe no reboot) and the HD Premium channels were perfect. Bottom line no truck roll needed just a screw up at the office end. Hope this helps.
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:03 PM   #3312
tlwizard

Anyone with TWC in Manhattan or New York start having a majorly degraded image on their SD channels in the past week (starting Tuesday or Wednesday maybe)?

I don't have any cablecards, just have my box hooked up to the wall so I get very basic cable but can also tune to the HD channels. The HD channels still come in crystal clear but every SD channel has taken a severe turn for the worse. If only the QAM channels got program info...

Any advice for the pixelated channels seeing how nothing on my end has changed? Is TWC just sending out poor-looking SD channels?

Thanks.
tlwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:19 PM   #3313
Distortedloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrt6676 View Post
I had a similar problem with TW premium HD channels, MOJO,HDNET,HDNET MOVIES,UHD. Tier 1 support gave me the same as you. Sent a truck, he replaced CC's, Put an amplifier on the line, problem not solved. Sent out a second truck the next day. This Tech says their is no way it could be a CC problem or signal strength issue because all other HD channels are fine. He calls the office, has the supervisor check my account and found the Premium HD channels were not authorized for the CC's. She authorized(not sure of the exact terminology) I rebooted(I think, maybe no reboot) and the HD Premium channels were perfect. Bottom line no truck roll needed just a screw up at the office end. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the response. I guess I can call them again to check something like that, but all my other premiums channels (HD tier, HBO, Showtime) all coming in fine except black screen on UHD, and heavy pixelation on HDNet.

I'll post back if my fix turns out to be what you suggested. Thanks again.
Distortedloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:49 PM   #3314
T-Shee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlwizard View Post
Anyone with TWC in Manhattan or New York start having a majorly degraded image on their SD channels in the past week (starting Tuesday or Wednesday maybe)?

I don't have any cablecards, just have my box hooked up to the wall so I get very basic cable but can also tune to the HD channels. The HD channels still come in crystal clear but every SD channel has taken a severe turn for the worse. If only the QAM channels got program info...

Any advice for the pixelated channels seeing how nothing on my end has changed? Is TWC just sending out poor-looking SD channels?

Thanks.
No, no change in SD picture quality here on the Upper East Side. I was under the impression that HD required Cable Cards - indeed, prior to CC install, I couldn't get any HD at all- so it's interesting that you can get HD without CCs. What HD station numbers do you get??
ESATA = Antec MX-1, Samsung HD501LJ
T-Shee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:57 PM   #3315
tlwizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Shee View Post
No, no change in SD picture quality here on the Upper East Side. I was under the impression that HD required Cable Cards - indeed, prior to CC install, I couldn't get any HD at all- so it's interesting that you can get HD without CCs. What HD station numbers do you get??
I get 1-2, 1-4, 1-5, 1-7, and so on for all the basics. Then on top of that I get 93-2 which is TNT in HD. On my basic just plugged into the wall SD cable I get all the basic channels plus Bravo, Food Network, Spike and a few others. I just don't understand why the video quality took a dive though on those channels.
tlwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:02 PM   #3316
59er
TiVotee

Pixellation on HD Broadcast Channels via TWC NYC

I've got a Tivo HD with an M-card in Manhattan, and for the past couple weeks I've had some bad pixellation, particularly on the HD versions of the broadcast channels (esp. 704, 705, and 707, perhaps less so on 702). Anyone else having these problems?
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:59 PM   #3317
valkyriesound

Does anyone have any experience in Culver City, CA?

My building just got digital cable and I tried TW's DVR just to see
where they were technology-wise (I'm a long-time tivo user).
Wow.. their DVR is horrible!

I called them today to say I wanted to remove their DVR and get
2 cablecards for a new TIvo.

They argued with me saying that they "don't support TIVO-only TVs
with cablecards" and that "The tech would refuse to install the CCs".
The CR rep said "I can send the tech but he won't install them."
So I said... "OK... send the tech anyway!" He backed down and scheduled the
appointment. He would not commit to actually installing the cards.

What's the deal? Don't they have to support this?
How can I prepare for the untrained guy I'm going to get?
I saw the Tivo's site instructions but what do I have to tell them
to do in the office?

Thanks for the help...I'm fighting this!

Viva Tivo!
valkyriesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:31 AM   #3318
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Before TW arrives, go back to the TiVo site or phone them to ask what to do if TW refuses. TW cannot legally refuse - the FCC says they MUST support cable cards. Hopefully you will get a tech who has already done some TiVo installs. Also go to the site and print the page that says Give this to the installer.

I'm with TW and kept the TW DVR in addition to my Series-3 because every once in a while I have a problem with TiVo not recording something. I've also had cable cards die and need another truck roll to install new cards. It's random, but if there is something that I "must Have" I record it on both. If you can afford it...???

CB
abredt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:07 AM   #3319
amradio

Is card needed for basic cable?

We have an HD TV with basic cable with no premium channels. Can I use The Tivo HD box without the cards. The instructions lead me to believe the cards are only required so that you can receive encrypted channels....
amradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:25 AM   #3320
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by amradio View Post
We have an HD TV with basic cable with no premium channels. Can I use The Tivo HD box without the cards. The instructions lead me to believe the cards are only required so that you can receive encrypted channels....
You would be correct. You don't need cards for basic only.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #3321
SCSIRAID

Quote:
With perhaps a few exceptions, the cards are also needed to get you guide data for QAM digital channels encrypted or unencrypted. For analog channels under 100... you dont need the cablecards.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:45 PM   #3322
amradio

Thanks for the responses....

I'm a little confused now....

Does that mean I cannot receive the local HD channels I'm currently getting thru my TWC STB (ie channel 512 ABC and 506 Fox) since they are higher than 100 - or are you just refering to the program guide channel being unavailable?
amradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:49 PM   #3323
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Thanks for the responses....

I'm a little confused now....

Does that mean I cannot receive the local HD channels I'm currently getting thru my TWC STB (ie channel 512 ABC and 506 Fox) since they are higher than 100 - or are you just refering to the program guide channel being unavailable?
You can manually tune them as long as their PSIP data is 'good'. However, you wont get guide data which will limit you to manual recordings...
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:28 PM   #3324
cableguy763

He can use OTA and basic cable, like some folks do to get local guide info for their local HD's.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:40 AM   #3325
Austin Bike

Should the digital and analog of the same channel (i.e. CNN and CNN digital) look the same on my screen?
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:49 AM   #3326
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
Should the digital and analog of the same channel (i.e. CNN and CNN digital) look the same on my screen?
No matter which cnn you go to i.e 46 or 310, your cablecards are pointing you to the analog source. They will look exactly the same because they are the same. This is true for all channels 2-72 and their alternate numbers in the 100's etc.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:12 AM   #3327
Austin Bike

Wow, I went through all that to get cable cards when 95% of the content I watch was on the analog channels.

I was hoping that a digital CNN or discovery would look better. The person at the mopac office talked about how much better it would be. Nope, all the same. Very disappointing.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:24 AM   #3328
Firekite

"Digital" CNN? Do you mean CNN HD? High Definition programming will certainly look much better than its SD counterpart, even digital SD. Of course, not every news camera in the field is HD, so not everything you see will have been shot in HD. Pretty much all that studio stuff is, though.

If you're talking about the regular old SD, then digital should be "cleaner" and free from interference, but there won't be some dramatic shift like it would be between SD and HD. Plus, the quality of the TV and the degree of compression makes a pretty big difference. OTA HD for the locals tends to look better than the same HD signal coming from TWC via digital cable.
Firekite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:45 AM   #3329
Austin Bike

There are 3 CNN's on TWC Austin: Standard, "digital" and HD. I don't get HD, but bouncing back and forth between standard and digital I can't tell which is which.

I was hoping for "cleaner" but I am definitely not getting it with cable cards.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:42 PM   #3330
Firekite

Then you weren't getting a "dirty" signal before, with analog.
Firekite is offline   Reply With Quote