TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-16-2008, 06:37 PM   #3271
apixley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheils View Post
Here in Brooklyn. I had to swap out my poor, dead, 3 month old TiVo HD - the new one should be arriving today.

When I started using the TW HD box after I disconnected the TiVo, I noticed that the HD channels go in and out - sometimes brief audio lapse, then everything blacks out for a sec. I put in a brand new HDMI cable, no change. Technician came yesterday - I wasn't there, had a friend hang around for the guy. Anyhoo, he said adding composite cables to the setup might help. HE watched ONE channel in HD for a few minutes and of course it was ok. I had my friend change the channel and of course that one was messed up. Have another tech coming on Tuesday.

Last night, ALL of my HD channels were messed up. I can't even hook up my new TiVo until this is resolved!!!

Anyone else having this trouble?
We have had ours since the holidays and it happens occasionally (more frequently at first). We have to restart our tivo when it happens. Apparently, TW is cheap with the bandwidth.

Does anyone know when the 2-way cards will be available? I am tired of not getting all the channels on my tivo.
apixley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:05 PM   #3272
Effinay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyracing View Post
I live in Orange County, CA and had TWC out last Friday to install internet, telephone and tv using cable cards. When I setup the appt. I asked them to send a guy who knew about TIVO S3 and to bring M-cards. Well, after three hours trying to get the M-cards to work he couldn't get past the "Please Wait...Acquiring Channel Information" screen. He eventually gave up and suggested I setup another appt. and ask them to bring out S-cards. I believe he thought the signal was strong and Tivo just couldn't work with the M-cards. He only had two M-cards and originally thought I only needed one.

I'm going to see if I can pickup the M-cards myself but if not then I will insist they bring out several M-cards to try. Anybody know how long it usually sits at the "Acquiring Channel Information" screen?

UPDATE: Called TWC CSR who insist that only a tech can bring and install the cards.

Mcards won't work in the S3, you need 2 Scards. If you had a THD, you could use 1 Mcard or 2 Scards.
Effinay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:45 PM   #3273
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effinay View Post
Mcards won't work in the S3, you need 2 Scards. If you had a THD, you could use 1 Mcard or 2 Scards.
You can use M-Cards in the S3, you simply have to use 2 of them as they weill fall back to "S-Card mode".
Old 06-17-2008, 02:52 PM   #3274
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial View Post
You can use M-Cards in the S3, you simply have to use 2 of them
Which begs the question... then why bother?
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:54 PM   #3275
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Which begs the question... then why bother?
Because many cable co's aren't buying anymore S-Cards so all they have (readily) available are M-Cards. You don't get any advantage other than you get to use your TiVo (and get to rent two cards still). But the fact is, the S3 can use them- just not as an M-Card.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #3276
bobrt6676

Question M-Cards

Quote:
Because many cable co's aren't buying anymore S-Cards so all they have (readily) available are M-Cards. You don't get any advantage other than you get to use your TiVo (and get to rent two cards still). But the fact is, the S3 can use them- just not as an M-Card.
Interesting comment, TWC Dayton, Ohio has no M-cards available. There reason according to Tech's, the M-cards are very expensive. If M-cards are more expensive what would be TWC motivation to purchase and supply M-cards to Tivo units?

Even with M-cards VOD, PPV is not available for Tivo's. Which would be TWC's motivation for generating additional revenues.
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:07 PM   #3277
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrt6676 View Post
Interesting comment, TWC Dayton, Ohio has no M-cards available. There reason according to Tech's, the M-cards are very expensive. If M-cards are more expensive what would be TWC motivation to purchase and supply M-cards to Tivo units?

Even with M-cards VOD, PPV is not available for Tivo's. Which would be TWC's motivation for generating additional revenues.
Why would I know? That was the statement that I've seen made in these threads time and again (running out of S-Cards in favor of M-Cards). The underlying fact though is that two M-Cards will work in an S3 if that's all they can give you.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:09 PM   #3278
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Gotcha. I have two S-Cards in my S3 and there was a time, IIRC, where M-Cards weren't readily available and if they were, they were more expensive for the customer. Thanks for the more up-to-date clarification.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:26 PM   #3279
bobrt6676

Note Rolling HD channel blackouts

The Problem: TWC premium Hd channels 760-763 are occasionally "blacked out" Sometimes 3 out of 4 are viewable,sometimes none or any combination. (No other stations have this problem.)

Contacted TWC CSR they feel it is a CC problem insist a truck roll needed.

1st visit: (Saturday)Tech checked all connections, added amplifier.Curiously had no CC's to exchange. Problem still exists. Sets up 2nd visit for next day. Tech is to bring M-Card or S-cards to exchange to solve problem.

Next day: (Sunday)tech calls "I don't have any CC's and do not know how to install. Can we come tomorrow(Monday). I agree.

Monday: Tech comes out. I explain and demonstrate the problem. In a 15 minute period 760 is black 761-3 good. Then 760 appears and 762 is black.
He has 2 S-cards and explains they do not carry M-cards(too expensive) And feels this is not a CC issue but changes them anyway. After pairing etc. same problem with different CC's. He gets an idea, calls dispatch to be sure HD premium channels have been matched (paired or whatever terminology) to both CC's. Sure enough they had not been. Dispatcher matched the HD Premiums to both CC's and presto All stations available all the time! Problem solved.
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:53 AM   #3280
Gasturbine

Time Warner and AT&T

Time Warner, Columbus Ohio...just 8 HD channels. AT&Ts U-Serve is now in my area, and offer 41 HD channels, however, since their not a cable provider, they do not support cable cards, so one would have to use their DVR, which claims to record 4 different channels at the same time.

Does anybody have any info on their gui? Screen shots would be great.

Im glad there is finally some competition with TW. They pretty much suck at everything they do. Anybody want to buy a lifetime Tivo?
Gasturbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:26 PM   #3281
kevo777
My TiVo Gets Me

Time Warner CableCARD Install - Dallas/Ft. Worth

Add me to the list of those experienced with a Time Warner installer (contractor) that had never installed CableCARDS before and....get this....didn't know what TiVo was! I couldn't make this up! When he called into dispatch with the serial numbers his words were along of the lines of "this is for a TiVo DVR, whatever that is..." Wow!! Really Time Warner?!

Anywho...we went through the usual motions but all I've got are grey screens on just about every channel offered with a handful (literally) of exceptions. I've rebooted twice, including unplugging the TiVoHD, but nada. 5 hours after the contractor was here I have lots and lots of grey. If it was my favorite color this may not be so bad.

I've gone blind reading through the thread. I sure hope Time Warner installers, contractors, and CSRs start hanging out here.

To be continued......

UPDATE: I called Time Warner this morning and got the $19.95 truck roll/install fee knocked off my bill. Last night (close to midnight) I had to make another appointment for another truck roll this coming Tuesday. The billing rep ensured me that this guy will be a service tech, not an installer. There's a difference?

Last edited by kevo777 : 06-21-2008 at 11:13 PM.
kevo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:43 AM   #3282
franzey

Is there a thread on TC for TWC subscribers to discuss rumors of additional HD channels being added and/or channel lineup changes? I'm new to the Digital Cable arena and it seems like information is hard to come by concerning when we are going to get even close to Directv's HD lineup.
franzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:54 AM   #3283
kevo777
My TiVo Gets Me

Yeah that would be nice.

In my opinion, the problem with cable company channel lineups is that they are regional. The HD channel lineup that is available to me here in Dallas is probably different than the HD lineup available in, say, New York City. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the cable companies looked at public data that showed satellite install base numbers and then focused their HD channel launches primarily on those markets to remain competitive.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #3284
franzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo777 View Post
Yeah that would be nice.

In my opinion, the problem with cable company channel lineups is that they are regional. The HD channel lineup that is available to me here in Dallas is probably different than the HD lineup available in, say, New York City. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the cable companies looked at public data that showed satellite install base numbers and then focused their HD channel launches primarily on those markets to remain competitive.
So you have different HD channels than I do in Dayton, OH? Currently we are missing channels such as TLC HD, Discovery HD, USA HD, FX HD, etc...(not to mention our local NBC affiliate isn't on digital cable, but that is a local thing) I just read an article quoting the Senior VP of Time Warner from early 2007 saying that by year end (2007) TWC would have a HD lineup competitive with DirecTv. Ummm, it is mid 2008 and we are at about 1/4 of their HD channels.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:51 PM   #3285
kevo777
My TiVo Gets Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzey View Post
So you have different HD channels than I do in Dayton, OH?
I would have no way of knowing without a side-by-side comparison. It doesn't matter; I was using NYC as an illustrated example. But yes, HD offerings do differ between markets within a single cable company's footprint. A big factor is the condition of the physical infrastructure (underground wiring, headends, etc.). It varies greatly from market to market. With satellite, it's more linear. Every user is essentially receiving the exact same signal, local channels being an exception. The set-top boxes and billing systems do 100% of the provisioning that filters out the channels that aren't being paid for.

Am I wrong?
Old 06-23-2008, 01:17 PM   #3286
franzey

Quote:
It varies greatly from market to market. With satellite, it's more linear.
Interesting. So essentially, TWC only needs to have one or two markets with 30-40 HD channels to then refute Directv's claims of HD domination. Even though ALL Directv subscribers can essentially get the same HD packages whereas TWC customers are totally limited to the half dozen or so HD channels which depend on the whim of TWC corporate. Nice.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:06 PM   #3287
BruceShultes

The best discussion about TW HD available in individual areas is on the AVSforum.

Try http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45 and find your local thread.
BruceShultes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #3288
franzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceShultes View Post
The best discussion about TW HD available in individual areas is on the AVSforum.

Try http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45 and find your local thread.
Good link, thanks! I checked through the boards and it seems that the vast majority of the discussion in my area revolves around OTA programming. Oh well, I will concede that there isn't a good single source of information. I will just keep doing what I am doing.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2008, 09:15 AM   #3289
gbrown

TW-SD: Cablecard reprogram = S3 DEAD!

San Diego Time Warner
I came home yesterday to an alert saying that TW-SD had decided to reprogram my Cable Cards. I was told to wait 40 minutes. Two hours later I called Customer Support. They had me power cycle the S3 and they would send a signal to the Cable Cards. READ - Take two aspirins and call me in the morning. Two more hours and the same screen is there. Another enjoyable customer service call and I demanded that they roll a tech with two new Cable Cards. I also asked them to bring extras.

Two fold result. 1) I have to wait until Sunday for service and 2) I get to spend yet another customer service call to demand a refund on the four days without service.
gbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:43 AM   #3290
KI6ILS

Truck Roll for Monday, June 30. What do I need to prepare?

Ok, so to make a long story short I had their box, got the TiVo S3 HD, called TW asking if I can take the cc out of their box and put it in my TiVo. They said it was no problem, that card worked fine. I take the old box back to the TW Store, they say it I damaged the equipment. I tell them that the CSR told me I could. Some more back and forth, they demanded the working M CC back and they issued me a different M CC. Well I take that one home and now I am only getting channels 2-37 SD and 2-13 HD.

My neighbor got a S3 HD TiVo as well and the tech came out today. He didn't know what a TiVo is or what a cable card is. All he did is send a lot of hits to the box and somehow that got it working. So I go home, call TW and spoke to a CSR who sent several hits and still only the basic channels. So now I have to wait for the tech to come on Monday, which means I'll miss The Venture Bros, and I don't even know if they will know what to do.

Should I call them back and tell them to make sure the tech brings additional cards and standard cards? Why did my TiVo work with the one I took out of the old cable box and not the newly issued one?
KI6ILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:42 AM   #3291
JimWall

Seems TW got at least one of the following wrong. The new CC Serial Number, the new host id and/or your billing information which controls what channels you can see.
Also the hits need to be made after the CC firmware downloads are done
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #3292
kevo777
My TiVo Gets Me

I got my M-Card working last week on the second TW tech visit. After the initial install, I was only getting about 10% of the channels I pay for. The Host ID number and serial numbers were matching in the system but the Data number was one lousy digit off. I went fours days with no HD because of one lousy digit. The second tech was extremely cool and had experience with CableCARDS. He said that, while CSRs have to be spoon-fed, they do have the ability to check Host ID, Data, and serial numbers.

Time Warner better get their s**t together on these CableCARDS. They're not going anywhere. tru2way is coming in the fall according to TW's website, although I doubt TiVoHD will be compatible.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:39 PM   #3293
INARUSH

Just some info that may help out someone with the CP Auth Not Received message:

I am in Charlotte, NC and recently had one of my two S cable cards change from authorized to not authorized. After MANY calls to Time Warner, I finally found some that immediately knew what pairing meant. She knew what the host ID was and what to do next. The card did not pair immediately though. It took about 5 minutes after she paired, sent a reauthorization code, and then a regular code. Don't get discouraged when you call and they ask for the serial number, want to send a truck, or just tell you to reboot. Simply don't waste your time though. They will either know right away or they won't. Try calling back instead of trying to explain the situation to them. Once you find the right person, it will take a few minutes.
INARUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:30 PM   #3294
poma3

SDV coming to SE Wisconsin

Hey,

Last week, Bravo went missing on my S3 TiVo but was still showing in analog on my 2 S2 boxes. After multiple calls to TWC and a schedule truck roll because the CSR couldn't figure out what was wrong, I received a call from Bob - a senior tech. He indicated that Bravo (our channel 70) was the first SDV channel in the Milwaukee area. He indicated that they will be switching many of the "lesser viewed" channels. Bravo is viewed less than the Outdoor Network?....huh!

Bob was very nice and indicated that I would have to get a TWC box and use TiVo's IR blaster to change channels and that would resolve my issues. I explained that I didn't want to rent another box and he sympathized. He indicated that they have frequent conversations about CC users and how SDV will impact them - but he didn't have any solutions and didn't mention the tuning adapter.

I did let him know to pass along that if my channels keep disappearing I'll take my business (including internet and phone) elsewhere. He said he'd pass it along. Trouble is...I don't think we have any other TiVo compatible options in SE Wisconsin. Anybody out there find anything better? Also...how do we get the tuning adapter once it's available? My whole house is networked and the thought of using someone else's DVR makes my sad.

thanks,
Mark.
poma3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:59 AM   #3295
wireless200

I want to drop to basic cable $12.00/month and buy a Tivo. My Pioneer plasma picks up dozens if not more channels including hi-def when the cable is connected directly to it. I don't want a cable card or STB. It seems I'm hearing from my neighbor and reading on these forums that Tivo won't pick up and record the HI-def channels on cable. Is that correct? What are my options if I don't want anything more than $12 cable? OTA? regards, David
wireless200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:08 PM   #3296
kevo777
My TiVo Gets Me

Only Series3 and TiVoHD will pick up high-def OTA. Just know that for the OTA HD feeds you will be restricted to manual recording only.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:12 PM   #3297
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless200 View Post
I want to drop to basic cable $12.00/month and buy a Tivo. My Pioneer plasma picks up dozens if not more channels including hi-def when the cable is connected directly to it. I don't want a cable card or STB. It seems I'm hearing from my neighbor and reading on these forums that Tivo won't pick up and record the HI-def channels on cable. Is that correct? What are my options if I don't want anything more than $12 cable? OTA? regards, David
The tivo has a qam tuner in it, so it will pick up the locals in HD with just basic. Whether or not you get guide data for them is up to your cable provider. It should work just like your TV. OTA is certainly an option if all you care about is the locals. Guide data for that will be correct.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:27 PM   #3298
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Only Series3 and TiVoHD will pick up high-def OTA. Just know that for the OTA HD feeds you will be restricted to manual recording only.
I think you meant that the "Clear QAM HD feeds from the cableco will be restricted to manual recording only." If they are sourced from an antenna, and thus truly 'OTA' you will have guide data.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:41 PM   #3299
poma3

TWC SDV hits SE Wisconsin Big Time!

I posted earlier about losing Bravo from our lineup as the first SDV rollout in the Milwaukee area. Today I received a letter from TWC letting me know about another 54 channels going SDV on July 30th. 1/3 of them are Spanish Language which won't affect me and another 1/3 are all HBO/Showtime/Encore variation which I don't subscribe to. The remaining 1/3 though make me sad - no TBSHD, HGTVHD, Discovery HD Theatre, HD Net, HD Net movies...you get the idea.

They did include a blurb about the tuner adapter being available "later this year" and they also indicate that "it is currently contemplated that the Tuning Adapter will be provided at no additional charge" - you heard right...no charge!

Maybe someone inside the Death Star does have a heart!
poma3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:31 PM   #3300
Midwest User1

Quote:
Originally Posted by poma3 View Post
I posted earlier about losing Bravo from our lineup as the first SDV rollout in the Milwaukee area. Today I received a letter from TWC letting me know about another 54 channels going SDV on July 30th. 1/3 of them are Spanish Language which won't affect me and another 1/3 are all HBO/Showtime/Encore variation which I don't subscribe to. The remaining 1/3 though make me sad - no TBSHD, HGTVHD, Discovery HD Theatre, HD Net, HD Net movies...you get the idea.

They did include a blurb about the tuner adapter being available "later this year" and they also indicate that "it is currently contemplated that the Tuning Adapter will be provided at no additional charge" - you heard right...no charge!

Maybe someone inside the Death Star does have a heart!
I got the same letter and I'm in the Waukesha, WI. area. I wouldn't hold your breath though on actually getting a working Tuner resolver by the end of the year. I'm going to now look at alternative options for HD TV (D** TV etc.). It's very annoying that TW doesn't even fully support the cable card that they offer.
Midwest User1 is offline   Reply With Quote