TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-19-2008, 08:58 PM   #3241
afs12065

Big Grin New TWC Tuning Adapter/Resolver Information

I live in the Albany, NY area (Northeast Region for TWC) - TWC is moving to switched digital video (SDV) in our area for digital and HD content. I recently purchased a S3 HD DVR from TiVo after becoming increasingly frustrated with the SA 8300 series DVR - but still had some concerns about whether or not I would be able to view SDV channels - and how long it would before that happened.

So I submitted a request for information via the local TW website, received the standard reply from a CSR that their CableCARD support is UDCP (one way) and that they had no further information on the tuning adapter/resolver (complete with a copy/paste from the website with this information - that I had already read). I then requested that they escalate my question to someone who would have more information/detail and much to my surprise they agreed to do so and three days later I received a call from someone in NC who provided their direct phone number for a conversation on the topic. After a couple of days of phone tag I spoke directly to this person tonight and this was what they told me :

1) TWC is preparing to deploy a tuning adapter/resolver for UDCP CableCARD devices nationally that would enable full support on TiVo (and other UDCP devices) for SDV content. PPV and VOD support may not be there initially. The technical person even sympathized with the fact that SDV is "unfair" to people who don't have their SA set top box. Interesting. They went on to say that the device has been in testing with CableLABS and certification is expected shortly. Information available on the Internet RE: Interop testing of these devices seems to support that.

2) TWC is maintaining a list of beta testers for the device that they plan to test this with as soon as it is available (imminently) and installation documentation is available. It sounded like it was planned to be a self-install - at least for beta testers. I asked to be added to the beta test list and we'll see if anything comes of that.

3) In addition to the list of beta testers, the person I spoke with is personally maintaining a list of people within their team who have "inquired" about the tuning adapter and is planning to notify them when it becomes available nationally to give them the opportunity to obtain one quickly. I'm not sure how you get added to this list if you're not one of the "lucky" ones to get past the first couple levels of support with this type of request - or if your CSR simply doesn't know who to forward the question to - but I hope that gets better as information gets sent down to the local branches of TWC.

4) The technical rep did state that the number of CableCARD/TiVo customers on the TWC network vs. the customers that have the standard issue SA set top box was much smaller and that deployment of the tuning adapter may be handled from a central location on a region by region basis vs. locally as a result but that those details were still being discussed. I would expect that installation would be no more difficult than installing a converter/set top box so a do-it-yourself install may not be out of the question.

5) Cost/pricing/lease fees for the device are TBD since they will typically be deployed optionally with CableCARDs and not as "required" devices.

So, all-in-all the conversation was very positive, friendly and customer focussed - and contained a lot more seemingly accurate information than anyone I know has been able to get out of the local TWC support organization. I hope that the details prove to be true - it would restore some of my faith in TWC customer service.

There has been recent press on the Internet about the Motorola MTR700 and the Cisco/SA STA-1520 as the 2008 Cable Show is currently underway in New Orleans:
http://gizmodo.com/391871/tivo-switc...r-at-cablelabs

I would hope that we would see some movement toward deployment after the industry trade show but how quickly that happens remains to be seen.

I did agree not to publish the technical person's name, contact info, etc. on the Internet as the flood of phone calls that would ensue would be unwieldy but I will post updates as I get them to the board... I was encouraged to call directly for updates periodically as I wanted to - which was refreshing. We can only hope that all of the TWC CSRs are being encouraged to "get answers" to difficult customer questions and to route them appropriately instead of insisting on the brush-off but in reading the board it doesn't seem that is the case - yet - based on what other members have shared as far as their experiences go. *sigh*

Anyway, hope this helps!
afs12065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:10 PM   #3242
Swervo

Will be reading through most of the thread, but thought I'd post and see if anyone else has any ideas:

Had Time Warner out this morning to install cards, turns out they brought MCards and had one installed on my new Tivo HD. It's been plugged in and on the network since Friday, and is running version 9.3 of the Tivo software.

The installers claimed that things weren't quite working because I was on a very old version of the Tivo software, and I can't confirm what version of the software was running when they were here. However, it is at 9.3 now, which they claimed would fix the issue. All I get now is the "Acquiring Channel Info" screen and the spinning beach ball...sometimes it fails after a while, sometimes it just spins forever. I've tried rebooting, etc etc, no dice.

I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with TW tech support but never made it anywhere (to my rep's credit, she didn't know much at all about CableCARD support but she also freely admitted that and took down notes as I talked to her). Unfortunately, when she put me back into the queue to hopefully talk to someone else more knowledgeable, the system told me my call could not be completed and hung up on me. Whee!

I've done some research on here, so here's what I see as the pertinent details from the Tivo itself. It tells me the card state is "Wait to Start". I do have something under "Val ?", it's showing "0x01". The messages under the Network Status screen go up each time I look at that screen, so the OOB messages appear to be going across. Oh, and it's a Motorola card.

I'll try calling Tivo's CableCARD hotline, and also try TW's tech support again later when the queue isn't so full, but I wanted to see if there's anything specific I need to ask them to do. They have another truck roll scheduled for Thursday, and thankfully my work is very flexible with hours/working from home. Still, I'm not happy about having to stay home again. As a side note, I don't know a huge amount of Spanish, but I know enough to know the two techs at my house were busy discussing where they were going for lunch and how much they wanted to just be done with the job so they could go eat...they didn't offer to stick around until the channel test worked.
Swervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:58 PM   #3243
scurby2

just an update.

The time warner tech came out to the house yesterday, i live in Orange county, CA....He had to try 3 different m-cards on my HD Tivo box, but finally got it to work.....I get all the HD channels i was getting before with the TW cable box, i even get several more channels on the digital cable side that i wasnt getting before with the standard cable package. I asked the tech about SDV and to his knowledge they are not going to use SDV in this area. Also they only charge me $1.75 a month for the M cable card, and i pay $5 extra for all the HD channels, much better than renting their crappy hd dvr box alone for $15.....
scurby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:06 PM   #3244
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurby2 View Post
just an update.

The time warner tech came out to the house yesterday, i live in Orange county, CA....I asked the tech about SDV and to his knowledge they are not going to use SDV in this area.
Here is an email that I got from TiVo regarding SDV. I live in the San Fernando Valley - north of L.A.

Dear Valued Customer,

Your friends at TiVo want to inform you about some changes in digital cable that could affect your TV viewing experience. Some cable operators are in the process of introducing a technology called Switched Digital Video (SDV). You may be made aware of this technology in the context of your provider informing you about the migration of certain lesser viewed existing channels or the introduction of new channels using SDV.

Unfortunately, today's CableCARD devices including the TiVo HD and Series3 DVRs do not currently support SDV, but the good news is that TiVo is working with cable operators to develop the Tuning Adapter, a solution that is currently being tested by your cable provider and will be available in the near term.

The Tuning Adapter will enable you to access the full spectrum of HD channels that the cable provider offers and should be made available by your local cable provider later this year. Although the majority of cable customers currently are not affected by switched digital services, we will continue to work with the cable industry to try to minimize the impact to subscribers that are inconvenienced.

We will keep you posted on developments as they occur and we greatly appreciate your patience during this transition.

Sincerely,
The TiVo Product Development Team

Regards, C.
abredt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:59 PM   #3245
Effinay

abredt - I got that email, too (I live in the Dayton, Ohio area). I'm asuming that cableLabs, TiVo, and Cable companies are getting very close to releasing the tuner adapter. It doesn't affect me yet since TW in my area has only started using SDV for the spanish channels (duh, it's the U.S... I speak English) but it would be good to know that the adapter is ready once TW decides to make the switch.

Swervo - I was getting that message after my first CableCard installation. TW techs never initialized the card properly. Something about re-sending the EMMs. Basically, you need a tech that knows what he's/she's doing. Unfortunately it may take 2 or 3 truck rolls before they actually send someone taht know's what they're talking about. After I got someone who knew what they were doing, we had the mcard working in my TiVoHD within the hour.
Effinay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #3246
Firekite

The thing that really discourages me about all of this is that it looks like Motorola and Cisco have put out demo units that are full-fledged pieces of equipment. Motorola's is about the size of a cablemodem while Cisco's is like a whole other DVD-player size piece of home theater equipment, thin but wide and deep. I thought we were looking at a small USB dongle, something cheap and effective. If it's a whole new piece of equipment, are they going to charge us $10 or $15 a month for it, even though without it we can't receive the programming we pay for?
Firekite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:14 PM   #3247
cjhrph

Quote:
If it's a whole new piece of equipment, are they going to charge us $10 or $15 a month for it, even though without it we can't receive the programming we pay for?
You can make book on that. It's virtually guaranteed. Hell, they're (TimeWarner) charging me 73 cents per month just for the damned remote rental on the HD box.

You'll have the HD Tivo Charge, the CableCard charge, the tuning resolver charge, and a real sore ass..
cjhrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:25 AM   #3248
Swervo

Well, I've now had the cable company out again and tried multiple cable cards in the Tivo HD with no luck. The last guy who came out claims the signal is nice and strong, and with all the cards he tried, both he and the dispatch support people he talked to seem to think the cablecard is working just fine, and they seem to think there's a problem with the Tivo. It just never gets past the "Please Wait...Acquiring Channel Information" screen.

Guess it's time to call up Tivo and see what they think about this.
Swervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:34 AM   #3249
59er
TiVotee

I had a great experience with Time Warner on Friday. I went in to swap my old TiFaux DVR box (the 8300) for a new non-dvr HD box. (Side note: They said I had to have a box to keep triple play pricing. It's cheaper for me to have the box, and it allows me access to VOD, so it's fine with me to have the option.)

While I was there, I asked if there was anything they could do to lower my rate, and they agreed to give me $40 off the package per month -- basically a starter rate with a full package. I was a little worried it would screw up my channels, and that I would actually end up with only the starter channels, so when I got home that night I checked my TiVo to see if channels were coming in and if recordings had worked. Of course there were several channels missing, and a couple recordings that had failed as a result. The new box was also having some limited loss of a channel or two, but it wasn't missing all the channels that the cable card was without.

But then I called Tech Support, where I reached a truly terrific rep in Canada. He put me on hold and sent re-authorization to the cable card, which immediately restored all of my channels on the TiVo. It took a little more work to fix the Food Network on the cable box -- apparently channel 50 is the buggiest channel in new cable boxes from the retail TWC location -- but he got it fixed and confirmed that I am paying the lower price for all the same things I had before.

Yay, TWC!

PS: And the best news of all was that the shows that failed to tape were all cable shows that re-aired later that night or the next morning, so I didn't miss anything.

Last edited by 59er : 05-27-2008 at 11:35 AM. Reason: To add a PS.
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:57 PM   #3250
edclgr1

I had a great experience about six weeks ago with Time Warner Cable Austin. I added an HD unit to join my S2/DT and called their corporate office about adding two cablecards for it. They were concerned about the SDV issue and brought it up a couple of times, making sure I understood I would be missing some stations. I reassured them that I was keeping my SetTopBox so I could keep those stations, and this ended that part of the conversation.

The technician who arrived was a Time Warner employee, not a contractor. I was concerned when he arrived with just one (1) M-stream card but he told me not to worry, he hadn't had an M card fail in some time. He had done a number of TiVo units, had a good idea about how much time it would take to "hit" each card, and how much time TiVo would take during the process.

Less than 30 minutes later (and much of that was waiting on TiVo), the card was ready and viewing all non-SDV channels. Other than having to "hit" the card two times, there wasn't a single problem and it was great having someone experienced there to make it happen.

SDV seems to be consuming Time Warner Austin HD stations but there are enough out there to make it a real joy. When/if I can get a Tuning Adapter, the STB and S2/DT goes into the spare bedroom, and I will need another 4 hours in every day to spend in front of the HD unit.

-Ed
edclgr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:21 PM   #3251
drhendrix

How to Get M-Card in Cincinnati

Hello,

I've had a Series1 for years and I would like to add an HD unit, but I've been reluctant due to the multiple cards and horror stories about TW Tivo cable card installs. I've decided to try an HD unit if I can get an M-card installed.

If anyone in the Cincinnati area has received an M-Card, could you tell me how you pulled it off?

Thanks for any help.

Dennis Roberts
Loveland
drhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:36 AM   #3252
MicahG

For those in Orange County, CA. Do you guys get DiscoveryHD? If so, what channel is it? I get this channel that's called HDT, but no DiscoveryHD. Any ideas?
MicahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:24 AM   #3253
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahG View Post
For those in Orange County, CA. Do you guys get DiscoveryHD? If so, what channel is it? I get this channel that's called HDT, but no DiscoveryHD. Any ideas?
HDT is Discovery HD Theater.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:42 AM   #3254
JimWall

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhendrix View Post
Hello,

I've had a Series1 for years and I would like to add an HD unit, but I've been reluctant due to the multiple cards and horror stories about TW Tivo cable card installs. I've decided to try an HD unit if I can get an M-card installed.

If anyone in the Cincinnati area has received an M-Card, could you tell me how you pulled it off?

Thanks for any help.

Dennis Roberts
Loveland
I have an Tivo HD and one M-card. It works fine.
The only issues are whether the tech can properly enter the numbers to text back to the office. and the person at the office not make mistakes sending the billing info too soon before the card is ready.
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:57 AM   #3255
drhendrix

How to Get M-Card in Cincinnati

Thanks Jim,

How did you make sure that they brought an M-Card? I called the support number and they said they do not guarantee that an M-Card would be installed.

Also, did the techs know what they were doing? Did you ask for someone with Tivo install experience?

Thanks for any additional info.

Dennis
drhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:26 AM   #3256
59er
TiVotee

Exclamation HD Theater is not the same as Discovery HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
HDT is Discovery HD Theater.
I don't know if it was clear from the prior post that Discovery HD is NOT the same as HD Theater (which used to be Discovery HD Theater, apparently).

In NYC, I get HDT (channel 718) but not Discovery HDT... yet. I think it is coming to other parts of NYC, so we hope to get it soon.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:36 AM   #3257
MicahG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59er View Post
I don't know if it was clear from the prior post that Discovery HD is NOT the same as HD Theater (which used to be Discovery HD Theater, apparently).

In NYC, I get HDT (channel 718) but not Discovery HDT... yet. I think it is coming to other parts of NYC, so we hope to get it soon.

Thanks for that clarification. I wasn't sure. I'm still curious if anyone in Orange County gets DiscoveryHD...
MicahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:39 AM   #3258
JimWall

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhendrix View Post
Thanks Jim,

How did you make sure that they brought an M-Card? I called the support number and they said they do not guarantee that an M-Card would be installed.

Also, did the techs know what they were doing? Did you ask for someone with Tivo install experience?

Thanks for any additional info.

Dennis
When I made the appointment the person on the phone had no idea what an M card was. When the tech called he asked and I told him I wanted an M card and he had one. I got lucky I guess. If tech does not bring one then demand one.
Tell TWC to put a note in service call that customer wants M-card and has a tivo. I got lucky with this tech.
Make sure TIVO updates are done before tech arrives.

I also have a series 3 which took 3 service calls get working. The tech on the 3rd call had no problem despite being on the phone most of the time dealing with issues with his pregnant wife!!! He was very casual about how simple CC and tivos are to do. Simply text correctly to back office and don't do hit will billing/channel info until after firmware is upgraded. Sometimes person in back office gets the channels wrong.
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:27 PM   #3259
SoonerOrLater

TWC now has a special service that deals with CableCard issues (they said this started in December 2007 due to the many complains, especially related to TiVo).
I recently experienced "freezing" issues after the 9.3a update (see http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...376153&page=10 ).
During the process, I talked to someone in this service over the phone, and he seemed to be very knowledgeable about S-Cards/M-Cards. He said that if the Card reset "hit" did not work and a technician visit was necessary, he would specify to bring multiple M-Cards just in case in the work order and include his service number for the tech to call instead of the regular TWC service.
Anyway, I didn't need the tech since the remote card reset hit worked.
* Tivo Wireless G
* HDMI out @1080i fixed
SoonerOrLater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:39 PM   #3260
Firekite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerOrLater View Post
TWC now has a special service that deals with CableCard issues
What "service" is that, exactly?
Firekite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:28 AM   #3261
Powder_Burn

FYI - Update on Tuning Resolver Status From Time-Warner Austin / Waco

I am currently running a TivoHD w/two Motorola single stream cards. This is what I received from TW Austin / Waco this week re: tuning resolvers and SDV channels. I have grown impatient waiting on the tuning resolver and may just drop the HD package altogether. I would rather have a Tivo with 4 over the air HD channels than a TW Motorola 8300HD with maybe 8 of interest. IMO the Tivo is still worth it but it is quite disappointing to spend a chunk of change on a new TivoHD only to find out about undisclosed technical issues later. The SDV tuning issue won't be solved anytime soon since TW has no motivation other than to protect it's box rental income. Tivo and TW are apparently "working on it" indefinitely as it's been over a year already and there is no end in sight (see email from 5/28/08 below). There are positive press releases on this but I believe in "show me don't tell me" at this point. In the meantime, Tivo is able to collect full subscription price and TW is able to charge full price while only delivering a partial package of programming to Tivo users. Great deal unless you are a customer of theirs! Surprised the FCC or the cable franchise commissions are not doing more about this issue.
=======================
Dear Mr. XXXXXX-

Thank you for choosing Time Warner Cable.

The tuning resolvers are still being tested and there is no word on when they will be available for customers. Unfortunately, we cannot credit you for any channels the TivoHD is not able to pick up as you do have the option of utilizing one of our cable boxes that would allow you to receive all of the channels we offer. I do apologize for any inconvenience.

If you have any further questions feel free to reply to this email or contact us directly 24/7 at 485-5555.

Heather Dalmy
Email Technical Support
485-5555
Email: ctx.support@twcable.com
===========================
To: ctx.customer.service
Subject: Cable Service: Connectivity

Comment or Question:
Could you advise on when tuning resolvers will be available? If it will be some time, how do I go about getting credit on my bill for all of the switched digital (SDV) channels I am missing each month? Across the last year I have spent a significant amount of money paying for switched digital channels I cannot view on my TivoHD that utilizes TW's Motorola CableCards.

Last edited by Powder_Burn : 05-31-2008 at 11:51 AM. Reason: added content
Powder_Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:51 PM   #3262
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firekite View Post
What "service" is that, exactly?
It's the TWC Hiking Service. They tell you how to take one.
Kablemodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:57 PM   #3263
reisman

Austin Time Warner

After seeikng several other posts about issues in Austin, I contacted cableguy 763 directly for assitance. From my PM, he figured out who I was and corrected my issues while I was asleep! He then offered to call the next day to confirm, which he did.

I just wanted to thank you again cableguy!

-Mark
reisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:34 PM   #3264
Indyracing

I live in Orange County, CA and had TWC out last Friday to install internet, telephone and tv using cable cards. When I setup the appt. I asked them to send a guy who knew about TIVO S3 and to bring M-cards. Well, after three hours trying to get the M-cards to work he couldn't get past the "Please Wait...Acquiring Channel Information" screen. He eventually gave up and suggested I setup another appt. and ask them to bring out S-cards. I believe he thought the signal was strong and Tivo just couldn't work with the M-cards. He only had two M-cards and originally thought I only needed one.

I'm going to see if I can pickup the M-cards myself but if not then I will insist they bring out several M-cards to try. Anybody know how long it usually sits at the "Acquiring Channel Information" screen?

UPDATE: Called TWC CSR who insist that only a tech can bring and install the cards.
UPDATE: Last Sat. (6/14) the tech installed two S-cards. This went more smoothly than the M-cards. Not happy with having S-cards but at least it's all working. Will I miss something by not having M-cards?

Last edited by Indyracing : 06-17-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Indyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #3265
Kylenol

Hi,

I recently got a TiVo Series3 HDTV DVR and I have Time Warner Digital Cable. My digital cable channels are a random mix of 0x00, 0x02, and a 0x03 channel. The 0x03 channel (GSN) is NOT a VOD channel and according to the FCC this is illegal. The channel gets red-flagged and it says it will delete in an hour. I didn't have to deal with this when I had Time Warner's Scientific Atlanta DVR! So I had someone come over from Time Warner, but they said they couldn't do anything about it. Any advice what I could do next?

Thanks!
Kylenol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #3266
cougar289

CCI 0x03

Kylenol,

Where are you at, what city and state?
cougar289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:44 PM   #3267
Kylenol

Northeast WI.

Last edited by Kylenol : 06-12-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Kylenol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:11 AM   #3268
Sheils

Anyone in the NY area having trouble with TWC HD?

Here in Brooklyn. I had to swap out my poor, dead, 3 month old TiVo HD - the new one should be arriving today.

When I started using the TW HD box after I disconnected the TiVo, I noticed that the HD channels go in and out - sometimes brief audio lapse, then everything blacks out for a sec. I put in a brand new HDMI cable, no change. Technician came yesterday - I wasn't there, had a friend hang around for the guy. Anyhoo, he said adding composite cables to the setup might help. HE watched ONE channel in HD for a few minutes and of course it was ok. I had my friend change the channel and of course that one was messed up. Have another tech coming on Tuesday.

Last night, ALL of my HD channels were messed up. I can't even hook up my new TiVo until this is resolved!!!

Anyone else having this trouble?
Sheils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:24 PM   #3269
59er
TiVotee

I haven't had any trouble in Manhattan with my TiVo HD and TWC HD.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:46 PM   #3270
NigelTufnel

Sheils: I am with you in the 11201, on a Series3 getting TWC, and I'm getting these occasional glitches too. I rarely watch live TV so I am not yet sure if this is a blip in cable reception or a codec glitch in the tivo. (There's another thread about these HD freezes)
NigelTufnel is offline   Reply With Quote