TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-05-2008, 06:23 AM   #3211
Jimbo713
CreaTiVoty!

I saw ESPNNEWS show up on the HD guid over the weekend. In San Antonio, SDV?

TiVo Premiere with My DVR Expander HD
HD-TiVo
Jimbo713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:42 AM   #3212
Rayd8tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklitt View Post
http://www.timewarnercable.com/SanAn...cablecard.html

This is a list of San Antonio channels that do not work, but it doesn't list most of the stations I was unhappy about! The best way to see is get the new channel listing flyer as I mentioned above.
This list is WAY outdated. It's missing alot of channels that are not available due to SDV.
Rayd8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:34 AM   #3213
Firekite

I imagine it would be via SDV, yes, Jimbo. I also noticed Fox News HD seems to be up and running. It's about time everything started moving to HD.
Firekite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:04 AM   #3214
Jimbo713
CreaTiVoty!

FOX NEWS HD - ESPNHD - and all the others via SDV on TWC. Those channels I can't get because of the one-way cablecard. BTW, evryone I talk to at SA's TWC tells me that the "two-way" capability is very near (no specifics) and that those with cable-cards will be contacted when the SDV solution is available. They are sensitive to our plight. I'll be patient.

TiVo Premiere with My DVR Expander HD
HD-TiVo

Last edited by Jimbo713 : 05-06-2008 at 06:17 AM.
Jimbo713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:14 PM   #3215
mklitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo713 View Post
They are sensitive to our plight. I'll be patient.
At least you talked to someone who knows what it is all about! I worked my way up to a level three who comped me a station and thanked me for telling him about SDV (hadn't a clue) and about the cable card problem.

By my count I have now educated 6 of their staff . ..

Thank you for the encouraging news.
mklitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:56 PM   #3216
gkrodg00

Forgive the long post and if this has been reported previously.

I have both a Series3 Tivo and a Tivo HD that I use to receive OTA broadcasts and Dayton Time Warner Cable. Until today, I had cable cards installed only in the Series3. When ESPN2HD and the lineup change rolled out last year, I lost TNTHD, DiscoveryHD and have never been able to receive ESPN2HD nor any of the latest HD channels from TW (History, A&E, TBSHD, etc.). Apparently this was due to the switched-digital video protocols TW is using and its incompatibility with one-way cable cards. Although, I have continued to be able to receive all of the SD digital channels, ESPNHD, HDNET, HDNET Movies, Mojo, Universal HD.

Monday, I finally capitulated and decided to get a non-DVR HD Time Warner box to plug-in to a separate input on my receiver solely to watch Reds games on the new Fox Sports HD channel. I rationalized $7/month for Reds in HD plus I would get TNTHD and TBSHD to watch NBA games in HD would be worth it.

I brought the box home from the new Time Warner store at the Dayton Mall. Initially, I plugged the coax from the wall into the TW box 'IN' and a coax from the 'OUT' to the Tivo in. I thought that might work but it did not. So then, I put a splitter in-line to each box. Had the TW box up and running, went back to the Tivo box to make sure it got its signal back and out of pure serendipity, I just tried 768 on the Tivo and EUREKA! It tuned it in. Tried ESPN2HD, HistoryHD, TNTHD, TBSHD, all of the TW HD lineup, tuned in whereas in the past it had not. These supposed SDV deployed channels were now being received. I thought maybe it was the new box that might be the reason, so I unplugged it. Channels still worked. Took the splitter out and took the wall coax straight to the Tivo. Channels still worked.

Called TW and tried to get an explanation for my good fortune and of course, no ideawhat I'm talking about. Emailed a contact at TW and he is checking with the
engineers but haven't heard back yet.

Scheduled cable card install on the TivoHD that until now I had just been running with OTA and analog TW and after I did the install myself I now proudly receive all of TW's HD lineup on both my Tivo boxes. technician (non-TW, indy contractory) greeted me with "I've never installed these before".

My other theory is that HD box that I did not have until Monday, when it was added to my account, "authorized" something and allowed these channels to tune in but that really makes no sense either. It could have been pure coincidence about the box as I have not tried to tune those channels in months. They would just tune a SD Preview channel and not the actual channel.

The TW SDV channels I should not be able to receive (unless they have quietly abandoned SDV) but I do, not that I'm complaining, I just want to understand what changed. Why would they move ALL of their HD channels off of SDV?

The supposed mythical Tuning Resolver that will allow 2-way functionality in these original 1-way cable card hardware coming out sometime this year after the cable companies and 3rd party manufacturers like Tivo came to an agreement, but I have not been holding my breath.

So my point for this long-winded post is:

1) Any explanation for the change?

2) Notify Dayton area Time Warner Tivo owners

3) Annouce I have just a little less disdain for TW than I harbored prior to Monday.

22 Unique HD Channels I receive with combination of OTA + TW and the ability to DVR.
(does not include: 3 duplicate PBS HD Channels, Duplicate CBS, ABC, Fox). 64.1 gets me non-national UK basketball games :-)

OTA-HD:
NBC (2.1)
CBS (7.1)
PBS (16.6)
ABC (22.1)
CW (26.1)
Fox (45.1)
WSTR (64.1)

Time Warner-HD
CBS (707)
PBS (714)
PBS (716)
ABC (722)
Fox (745)
CET (748)
A&E (750)
History (751)
TBS (752)
Food (753)
HGTV (754)
Discovery (755)
TNT (756)
NG (757)
MOJO (760)
Universal (761)
HDNET (762)
HDNET Movies (763)
ESPN2 (764)
ESPN (765)
Fox Sports Ohio (768)

Last edited by gkrodg00 : 05-10-2008 at 12:29 AM.
gkrodg00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:02 AM   #3217
BruceShultes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrodg00 View Post
I have both a Series3 Tivo and a Tivo HD that I use to receive OTA broadcasts and Dayton Time Warner Cable. Until today, I had cable cards installed only in the Series3. When ESPN2HD and the lineup change rolled out last year, I lost TNTHD, DiscoveryHD and have never been able to receive ESPN2HD nor any of the latest HD channels from TW (History, A&E, TBSHD, etc.). Apparently this was due to the switched-digital video protocols TW is using and its incompatibility with one-way cable cards. Although, I have continued to be able to receive all of the SD digital channels, ESPNHD, HDNET, HDNET Movies, Mojo, Universal HD.

Monday, I finally capitulated and decided to get a non-DVR HD Time Warner box to plug-in to a separate input on my receiver solely to watch Reds games on the new Fox Sports HD channel. I rationalized $7/month for Reds in HD plus I would get TNTHD and TBSHD to watch NBA games in HD would be worth it.

I brought the box home from the new Time Warner store at the Dayton Mall. Initially, I plugged the coax from the wall into the TW box 'IN' and a coax from the 'OUT' to the Tivo in. I thought that might work but it did not. So then, I put a splitter in-line to each box. Had the TW box up and running, went back to the Tivo box to make sure it got its signal back and out of pure serendipity, I just tried 768 on the Tivo and EUREKA! It tuned it in. Tried ESPN2HD, HistoryHD, TNTHD, TBSHD, all of the TW HD lineup, tuned in whereas in the past it had not. These supposed SDV deployed channels were now being received. I thought maybe it was the new box that might be the reason, so I unplugged it. Channels still worked. Took the splitter out and took the wall coax straight to the Tivo. Channels still worked.

Called TW and tried to get an explanation for my good fortune and of course, no ideawhat I'm talking about. Emailed a contact at TW and he is checking with the

Scheduled cable card install on the TivoHD that until now I had just been running with OTA and analog TW and after I did the install myself I now proudly receive all of TW's HD lineup on both my Tivo boxes. technician (non-TW, indy contractory) greeted me with "I've never installed these before".

My other theory is that HD box that I did not have until Monday, when it was added to my account, "authorized" something and allowed these channels to tune in but that really makes no sense either. It could have been pure coincidence about the box as I have not tried to tune those channels in months. They would just tune a SD Preview channel and not the actual channel.

The TW SDV channels I should not be able to receive (unless they have quietly abandoned SDV) but I do, not that I'm complaining, I just want to understand what changed. Why would they move ALL of their HD channels off of SDV?
This makes no sense to me either.

If it was just one channel, I would think it was because you already had it tuned on the TW box, it then became available on your local branch of the TW cable.

Since you can now receive them all on the Tivo boxes, the only other possible expanations I can think of are either there are now enough HD customers in your area, that TW made them available all the time and moved some SD ones back to SDV instead, or they were having problems with SDV and turned it off while trying to figure out the problem.

I would ask other Tivo owners in your area whether it now works for them as well, but first I would check whether you can still receive them now. As I understand SDV, channels are available on your local branch if requested by any customer on that branch until no one is requesting it and a different one is requested that needs room on your local branch.

I could easily be wrong, but I will post a link to this message on my local thread and see whether it makes sense to some local people who know a lot more about SDV than I do.
BruceShultes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:39 AM   #3218
bobrt6676

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrodg00 View Post
Forgive the long post and if this has been reported previously.

The supposed mythical Tuning Resolver that will allow 2-way functionality in these original 1-way cable card hardware coming out sometime this year after the cable companies and 3rd party manufacturers like Tivo came to an agreement, but I have not been holding my breath.

So my point for this long-winded post is:

1) Any explanation for the change?

2) Notify Dayton area Time Warner Tivo owners

3) Annouce I have just a little less disdain for TW than I harbored prior to Monday.

22 Unique HD Channels I receive with combination of OTA + TW and the ability to DVR.
(does not include: 3 duplicate PBS HD Channels, Duplicate CBS, ABC, Fox). 64.1 gets me non-national UK basketball games :-)

OTA-HD:
NBC (2.1)
CBS (7.1)
PBS (16.6)
ABC (22.1)
CW (26.1)
Fox (45.1)
WSTR (64.1)

Time Warner-HD
CBS (707)
PBS (714)
PBS (716)
ABC (722)
Fox (745)
CET (748)
A&E (750)
History (751)
TBS (752)
Food (753)
HGTV (754)
Discovery (755)
TNT (756)
NG (757)
MOJO (760)
Universal (761)
HDNET (762)
HDNET Movies (763)
ESPN2 (764)
ESPN (765)
Fox Sports Ohio (768)
I have TW Dayton. I have had TivoHD since January. 2 S-cards installed. I have been able to get all the TW HD channels since install in early January.
Sounds like someone just did not authorize or add HD to your account correctly. You did not say if you called and complained to TW about the lost channels after the lineup change and if so their explanation.
I do have have a problem with 760-763 occaisionally. Usually HDNET will be black several times a week. HDNET friday night fights tends to be the biggest culprit but not all of the time.
And 768 FoxSports HD is a joke. HD PROMO screen is on 95% of the time. Only get 1 0r 2 games a week. Either Reds or Cavaliers.
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:50 AM   #3219
m_jonis

In TW Albany, all HD channels except the local stations and TNT HD and Discovery HD have been moved to SDV.

Unfortunately in Albany, NY, even if you did get a TW cable box and tuned to an SDV channel, the TivoHD with M-card still cannot get the SDV channel. Apparently the cable card "knows" it's not authorized (or cannot receive) the SDV station. We've tried the supposed workaround (ie, if TW really sends the entire channel to the local node because it was requested, then in theory it should be available). However, there appears to be something they can also send to the cable card so that even in that case, the SDV station cannot be tuned.

Perhaps in your area, TW is not doing that.

We're on a Scientific Atlanta system, BTW.
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #3220
gkrodg00

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrt6676 View Post
I have TW Dayton. I have had TivoHD since January. 2 S-cards installed. I have been able to get all the TW HD channels since install in early January.
Sounds like someone just did not authorize or add HD to your account correctly. You did not say if you called and complained to TW about the lost channels after the lineup change and if so their explanation.
I do have have a problem with 760-763 occaisionally. Usually HDNET will be black several times a week. HDNET friday night fights tends to be the biggest culprit but not all of the time.
And 768 FoxSports HD is a joke. HD PROMO screen is on 95% of the time. Only get 1 0r 2 games a week. Either Reds or Cavaliers.
Thanks, that is nice to know that others in my area are receiving these and its not just a fluke. Yes, the Fox Sports is a joke but at least Reds games are tolerable to watch now (the picture quality, not the skill).

Yes, I did call and complain and almost canceled back in November when I found out about the entire SDV deal. They gave me a deal for the Turbo Road Runner that I was getting plus my cable package for $70 for 3 months until the SDV situation sorted it out. However, it is not an authorization issue. I have always been able to receive the channels on the HD Tier, but the new channels as they rolled them out starting with ESPN2HD, I would just get a Preview channel and not the actual channel. I have not called to complain since, I just went and picked up the box last Monday. I am pretty sure I have tried some of those channels since January though, so maybe it was just the act of adding the HD TW box to my account. Now I am really reluctant to return it. I would rather pay $7/month for it and have it sit in the closet, unused than to lose all my HD channels to my 2 Tivo boxes.

Thanks for the information.
gkrodg00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:35 AM   #3221
JimWall

The issues in Dayton are similiar to what happened in Cincinnati area months ago. Either channels were changed from sdv or there were problems with correctly setting up the new channels on the cable cards.
In Cincinnati area I now get all the HD channels on TIVO S3.
My only problems are some channels don't descrypt like the SCI/FI channel. This has happened several times on Friday nights so nothing gets recorded. Rebooting the TIVO solves the problem.
I think updates are sent out to the cable cards but because TIVO is not 2 way it can't respond to the update and can't do something necessary like reset the card without being manually rebooted. Plus TWC doesn't get a response back to indicate if the update succeeded or failed.
So I am rebooting my tivos once a week.
Maybe the tuning resolver can address this.
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #3222
lafos

I'm in Troy, on TWC Dayton, and according to TW, there are no SDV channels in this area. I'm receiving all the channels listed several posts back, in the HD Basic and Standard tiers. I didn't sign up for the HD tier. Just moved a few months ago.

I asked about SDV here, and was told it wouldn't happen before 2009.
lafos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:50 PM   #3223
pmnick

Help with IR blasters

Hoping someone here can help me with a problem thatís been driving me nuts for the past couple of weeks.

Iím using a Humax DRT800 with a Scientific Atlantic HD cablebox and Time Warner Cable in Columbus, Ohio. About 3 weeks ago, coinciding with TWís software "update," Iíve developed repeatable problems with the IR blasters not being able to change channels properly. One example I was able to observe was that while the cable box was on channel 44 (FoodNetwork), it went to change to channel 240 (Tudors). The blasters tried to change the channel, but apparently could not (I saw ??? appear in the channel guide data, then the box just stayed on 44). Although Now Playing indicated that 240 was being recorded, the box was still on 44.

I went to TiVo Central and stopped the recording. As soon as I stopped the recording, the cable box changed to channel 240.

Tonight, the box tried to change to Channel 10 (Survivor) but instead switched the box to 101 and recorded that channel instead. The program info said it recorded Survivor. My wife is not pleased that we missed the Survivor season finale.... We also had set it to record the reunion show afterward -- the TiVo tried to change from the current channel (101) to 10, but again I saw the ??? appear and it stayed on channel 101.

Iíve never had a problem changing channels with the remote -- itís only a problem when the Tivo tries to change them.

Any suggestions? My current IR code is 00018-B, not sure if changing codes might fix the problem. I tried a slower code (00018-C) but the problem persists. Is there a list somewhere of other codes that ight work for this cable box?

I checked with TW tech support and, of course, they said their equipment is fine, the problem must be with the Humax. Tried a hard reboot of both the cable box and the Humax, no fix. When I go through channel changing set-up, everything works fine.
Linksys WUSB11 v.2.6
Linksys BEFW11S4
pmnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:30 PM   #3224
halapeno

Comcast DVR is a turkey

I bought a new HD TV and figured I would switch from Directv because Comcast does not require a 2 year contract to upgrade to HD.

After playing with the Comcast DVR for an hour or so, I couldn't believe how superior the DirecTV and the Dishnetwork DVR's are compared to Comcast. The Comcast DVR didn't even have the same functionality as their basic cable box ... in particular, no way to view a "favorites" list. That means I would have to surf through 400+ channels on the guide just to view the 50 or channels that I actually watch. And if you want to search for your favorite program ... forget it, there is no search function. And even worse, there was no commercial skip button. Also, there were less than a dozen HD channels available that I would actually watch on their channel lineup.

Well, the Comcast cable TV lasted less than 24 hours in my house before I pulled out all the cable boxes and DVR and rewired the house for Directv. With such antiquated software, I cannot understand how they can even compete with the satellite services.
halapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:46 PM   #3225
usnret

For what it's worth. We have a TivoHD with an M card that I picked up and installed. We will be moving from ND to near Bowling Green, Ohio in July. I contacted the local Time Warner service in Bowling Green and ask about what services they provide in that area, if they would provide me with an M card for my Tivo and what the cost would be. Here is the (what I think) funny part of their reply:

"The monthly charge for the M type cable
card would be $2.50 with a one time charge of $19.50 to install it. This
card would restrict you from receiving any of our interactive programming
such as our On Demand channels. As a bit of a warning, we do not support
the Tivo M type card, which means it will probably work but if it doesn't
you would need to contact the manufacturer of your cable card device to
fix the problem. Thank you for your interest."

"A bit of a warning" struck me funny.
Regards
usnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:08 PM   #3226
m_jonis

I like how they think there's a "Tivo M type card". I didn't know Tivo made cable cards (LOL)
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #3227
usnret

Yea, maybe Tivo should get in the card business and make a T card. LOL
usnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:45 AM   #3228
lafos

I bet they would if they could. It would probably let them overcome a lot of card-related issues.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:21 AM   #3229
htroberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by svartbjorn View Post
I was just wondering if we can use the FCC rules to push TWC.
Even if there's no existing rule regarding SDV and consumer-owned equipment, the clear intent is that cable system operators provide content using technology that is available to consumers. There's a web page here:

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/plugandplaytv.html

that describes the intent, that you be able to receive paid-for content without *also* needing to pay for or use a set-top box.

The web site includes phone numbers. I would suggest that if an operator's adoption of SDV (or any other technology) without regard for how consumers might benefit from or be affected by that technology, you complain. I know that generally government responds to the volume of consumer/voter contact.
htroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:23 AM   #3230
skylab

For those of you in Dayton/Cincinnati,

Time Warner is not using sdv yet in either Dayton or Cincinnati. Last year, when TWC started adding new HD channels, it blocked cablecard users from accessing the new channels. Time Warner did so because it expected to eventually move these HD channels to sdv, and it did not want to deal with the cablecard users whose access would be cut off at that time.

Anyway, I complained to the FCC last fall about this issue. As suggested above, I argued that blocking cablecard access to certain one-way (aka "linear") programming channels was a violation of the integration ban. Apparently, the FCC has agreed with my interpretation or TWC decided to give in rather risk an unfavorable ruling that could put the use sdv in jeopardy around the country. In fact, in TWC's annual statement released recently esentially stated as a "risK" that regulators could restrict the use of SDV.

If no one complains, then TWC does what it wants. You are paying for these channels. The integration ban was designed to prevent cable companies from forcing you to rent its box. Excluding cablecard users from channels that *might* eventually go to sdv, and even sdv itself, violates the ban because it now forces consumers to once again rent a cable box in order to receive linear programming. Good luck.
skylab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #3231
cjhrph

I complained, but haven't gotten a response. It's getting pretty bad here in Central New York. Here's the current list of channels I cannot receive with the CableCard.

100 Movies On Demand
101 Free Movies On Demand
104 Fox Business Network
108 ESPNU
163 ReelzChannel
165 TBS On Demand
166 TNT On Demand
168 Kids On Demand
170 Disney Channel On Demand
171 The Disney Channel - West
183 ontv4u
185 America's Auction Network
187 GemsTV
201 Encore West
238 Fox Sports Español
244 NHL Network
299 HBO On Demand
301 HBO West
303 HBO 2 West
305 HBO Signature West
307 HBO Family West
309 HBO Comedy West
311 HBO Zone West
313 HBO Latino West
319 Cinemax On Demand
321 Cinemax West
323 More Max West
325 ThrillerMAX West
327 ActionMAX - West
339 Showtime On Demand
349 TMC On Demand
350 The Movie Channel East
351 TMC Xtra East
361 Starz - West
363 Starz Edge - West
365 Starz Kids and Family - West
367 Starz Cinema - West
369 Starz inBlack - West
397 TV Guide On Demand
398 Movies on Demand HD
399 Movies On Demand
401 Events iN DEMAND
402 Events iN DEMAND 2
403 Events On Demand
404 - 413 Movies On Demand By Title
488 Outrageous On Demand
489 Howard TV On Demand
490 Adult On Demand
491 Playboy Television - Adult
492 Spice: XCESS
493 TEN Blox
494 Penthouse TV
495 TEN Clips
496 TEN Blue
497 Club Jenna
500 Movies On Demand
501 Free Movies On Demand
502 International Movies on Demand
503 On Demand en Espanol
504 Movies On Demand Kids and Teens
505 Movies On Demand Classics
506 Movies On Demand Thriller
525 HBO On Demand
526 Cinemax On Demand
527 Showtime On Demand
528 TMC On Demand
529 Howard TV On Demand
550 Lifestyle on Demand
551 Entertainment On Demand
552 Music On Demand
553 A&E On Demand
555 BBC America On Demand
557 CNN Showcase On Demand
559 Golf On Demand
560 Your Neighborhood Expert
562 truTV OD
564 Oxygen On Demand
565 PBS Kids On Demand
566 Kids On Demand Preschool
567 National Geographic On Demand
568 Speed On Demand
571 TBS On Demand
572 TNT On Demand
574 Exercise TV On Demand
575 Sportskool On Demand
576 Cutting Edge On Demand
577 TWC Sports On Demand
578 Music Choice On Demand: Pop & Rock
579 Music Choice On Demand: Urban & Latin
600 Cine Latino
602 Sorpresa
604 CNN Español
606 Fox Sports Español
608 Discovery en Español
612 MTV TR3S
614 Mun2
618 Video Rola
620 La Familia Cosmovision
622 Galavision
624 Telefutura
628 ESPN Deportes
653 TV 5 INTERNATIONAL - France
656 Russian TV
659 Radio Administration Italiano
663 Zee TV Programming
665 CCTV-4 China TV
672 Saigon Broadcasting Network
675 Arabic Radio Television
799 HD Showcase
802 Movies on Demand HD
804 NHL HD
807 Versus/Golf Channel HD
811 ESPN2 High Definition
817 A&E High Definition
818 The History Channel HD
819 Discovery Channel HD
822 TBS in HD
824 CNN HD
825 TLC HD
826 HGTV HD
827 Food Network HD
831 Animal Planet HD
832 Science Channel HD
839 LMNHD
999 Answers On Demand
1010 News 10 Now On Demand
1015 Sports On Demand
1024 News 10 Now SkyTracker Radar 24/7
1099 NBA League Pass Preview Channel
1100 NBA League Pass HD
1101 NBA League Pass/MLS Direct Kick (01)
1102 NBA League Pass/MLS Direct Kick (02)
1103 NBA League Pass/MLS Direct Kick (03)
1104 NBA League Pass
1105 NBA League Pass/MLS Direct Kick (05)
1106 - 1107 NBA League Pass/MLS Direct Kick
1108 NBA League Pass/MLS Direct Kick (08)
1109 NBA League Pass/MLS Direct Kick (09)
1110 NBA League Pass
1120 GAME HD
1121 NHL Center Ice - MLB Extra Innings (1)
1122 NHL Center Ice - MLB Extra Innings (2)
1123 NHL Center Ice - MLB Extra Innings (3)
1124 NHL Center Ice - MLB Extra Innings (4)
1125 NHL Center Ice - MLB Extra Innings (5)
1126 NHL Center Ice - MLB Extra Innings (6)
1127 NHL Center Ice - MLB Extra Innings (7)
1128 NHL Center Ice - MLB Extra Innings (8)
1129 NHL Center Ice - MLB Extra Innings (9)
1130 - 1134 NHL Center Ice - MLB Extra Innings
1141 - 1146 ESPN Full Court/ESPN Game Plan
1276 Automotive On Demand
1279 Elections '08 On Demand
1280 Movie Trailers On Demand
1282 Journey TV On Demand
1285 Expo TV On Demand
1300 HD PPV Events
1301 Events iN DEMAND
1302 Events iN DEMAND 2
1303 Events On Demand
1310 Outrageous On Demand
1311 Howard TV On Demand
1312 Adult On Demand
1314 Playboy
1315 Spice: XCESS
1316 Club Jenna
1317 Penthouse TV
1318 TEN Clips
1319 TEN Blox
1320 TEN Blue
1750 Movies On Demand
1850 Answers On Demand

Last edited by cjhrph : 05-15-2008 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Updated Channel List
cjhrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #3232
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Wow. That's quite a list. I'd cancel service if that were me.

Or give up and switch DVR's.

Say... when is TiVo's CableCard dongle coming out? Sheesh.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:29 PM   #3233
cjhrph

Wow. That's quite a list. I'd cancel service if that were me.

I know. I could care less about the on-demand crap, but cutting me off the HD channels and all the West feeds of HBO,Cinemax,Starz, etc. really pisses me off.
cjhrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:20 PM   #3234
lafos

That is quite a list. TWC Dayton, OH, has a lot of on demand channels (40+), which I can't get since the TiVo is one-way. I did get Showtime as part of a special deal, and all the feeds come through fine.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:12 PM   #3235
scurby2

Hi, i just got a Tivo HD box with a lifetime. I get standard TW cable (not digital). I was renting a cable box from TW to receive the HD channels. Now that i have a HD tivo I am still only getting just the standard HD channels and made an appointment for TW to install the cable cards. Is it the cable cards the provide the HD channels?
scurby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:49 AM   #3236
WoodySmith

scurby2,

You must have digital service to receive HD programming. The CableCards replace the set-top box that would normally be required for this. You are correct; right now, your Tivo can only see those standard def, non-digital channels. When your CableCards are installed they will be 'authorized' for the programming package that you are paying for. But as you can see from the postings here, you may not, in fact, probably won't, receive all of the channels that should be available to you because Time Warner transmits many HD channels using Switched Digital Video technology which a CableCard cannot understand. Here in southern Maine, I'm only getting about 35% - 40% of what I'm paying for.
WoodySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:54 AM   #3237
lafos

That depends on where you are. In the Dayton, Ohio area, SDV is not in use, so I get all the digital channels I paid for on the TiVo.

scurby2, you should ask how many channels use SDV in your area, so you know what you will get when the cards are installed.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:26 PM   #3238
scurby2

ok thanks for the responses. I live in Southern California, Orange County time warner area..........The main thing i was concerned about was that I could keep the standard cable and not have to upgrade to digital cable package. I just wanna keep the standard cable channels and use the box/cable cards for the HD channels........Hopefully i will get a majority of the HD channels in my area. I will call time warner tonight to find out or just wait for the tech tomorrow morning............
scurby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:57 PM   #3239
lafos

Let me know what you find out. We got a package when we moved that included the basic analog and digital channels. We did not opt for the HD tier, as most of the HD channels are in the basic tier. Only HDNet and a couple others are extra cost. We get about 20 HD channels.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:57 PM   #3240
afs12065

I live in the Albany, NY area (Northeast Region for TWC) - TWC is moving to switched digital video (SDV) in our area for digital and HD content. I recently purchased a S3 HD DVR from TiVo after becoming increasingly frustrated with the SA 8300 series DVR - but still had some concerns about whether or not I would be able to view SDV channels - and how long it would before that happened.

So I submitted a request for information via the local TW website, received the standard reply from a CSR that their CableCARD support is UDCP (one way) and that they had no further information on the tuning adapter/resolver (complete with a copy/paste from the website with this information - that I had already read). I then requested that they escalate my question to someone who would have more information/detail and much to my surprise they agreed to do so and three days later I received a call from someone in NC who provided their direct phone number for a conversation on the topic. After a couple of days of phone tag I spoke directly to this person tonight and this was what they told me :

1) TWC is preparing to deploy a tuning adapter/resolver for UDCP CableCARD devices nationally that would enable full support on TiVo (and other UDCP devices) for SDV content. PPV and VOD support may not be there initially. The technical person even sympathized with the fact that SDV is "unfair" to people who don't have their SA set top box. Interesting. They went on to say that the device has been in testing with CableLABS and certification is expected shortly. Information available on the Internet RE: Interop testing of these devices seems to support that.

2) TWC is maintaining a list of beta testers for the device that they plan to test this with as soon as it is available (imminently) and installation documentation is available. It sounded like it was planned to be a self-install - at least for beta testers. I asked to be added to the beta test list and we'll see if anything comes of that.

3) In addition to the list of beta testers, the person I spoke with is personally maintaining a list of people within their team who have "inquired" about the tuning adapter and is planning to notify them when it becomes available nationally to give them the opportunity to obtain one quickly. I'm not sure how you get added to this list if you're not one of the "lucky" ones to get past the first couple levels of support with this type of request - or if your CSR simply doesn't know who to forward the question to - but I hope that gets better as information gets sent down to the local branches of TWC.

4) The technical rep did state that the number of CableCARD/TiVo customers on the TWC network vs. the customers that have the standard issue SA set top box was much smaller and that deployment of the tuning adapter may be handled from a central location on a region by region basis vs. locally as a result but that those details were still being discussed. I would expect that installation would be no more difficult than installing a converter/set top box so a do-it-yourself install may not be out of the question.

5) Cost/pricing/lease fees for the device are TBD since they will typically be deployed optionally with CableCARDs and not as "required" devices.

So, all-in-all the conversation was very positive, friendly and customer focussed - and contained a lot more seemingly accurate information than anyone I know has been able to get out of the local TWC support organization. I hope that the details prove to be true - it would restore some of my faith in TWC customer service.

There has been recent press on the Internet about the Motorola MTR700 and the Cisco/SA STA-1520 as the 2008 Cable Show is currently underway in New Orleans:
http://gizmodo.com/391871/tivo-switc...r-at-cablelabs

I would hope that we would see some movement toward deployment after the industry trade show but how quickly that happens remains to be seen.

I did agree not to publish the technical person's name, contact info, etc. on the Internet as the flood of phone calls that would ensue would be unwieldy but I will post updates as I find them to the board... I was encouraged to call directly for updates periodically as I wanted to - which was refreshing. We can only hope that all of the TWC CSRs are being encouraged to "get answers" to difficult customer questions and to route them appropriately instead of insisting on the brush-off but in reading the board it doesn't seem that is the case - yet - based on what other members have shared as far as their experiences go. *sigh*

Anyway, hope this helps!
afs12065 is offline   Reply With Quote