TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-25-2008, 10:39 PM   #3181
Effinay

aktick - you can get locals in HD OTA for free (assuming they are broadcasting in HD). Just get an antenna for the ToVo HD. No change to your brother's cable lineup would be necessary.
Effinay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:42 PM   #3182
Effinay

realityboy, can you recommend a good antenna to get the locals on my TiVo HD?
Old 04-25-2008, 11:43 PM   #3183
spolebitski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainuser View Post
Well, the Time Warner technicians (2 of them) came out to install the cable cards in my SE Wisconsin (Waukesha) TiVo HD. As others have experienced, Cable Card 1 is authorized and gets channels (including the HD channels), Cable Card 2 (both are S Cards) does not authorize and gets no channels. The TW guys went back and forth with HQ and the card seems to be paired at their end. We rebooted 5 times, but the card would not pair. We switched cards and repaired them, and the card in slot 1 worked, but the card in slot 2 would not authorize. TW is flummoxed and spoke to the TiVo tech by phone. The TiVo people say it is a cable issue. the cable guys can't figure out what more they can do. They think that since they switched cards and the card in slot 2 never works, that it somehow must be a hardware problem. TiVo swears that it is not, but cannot offer up an explanation why the switched card would work.
If It doesn't connect by tomorrow, it gets moved up to a Tier 3 Tech. I was told in this case, TW would call TiVo and work out the problem.
my issue was that slot one authorized and slot two could view channels (500 level) but not the "HD Package" (ESPN2, TBS, TNT I think). Slot two's card was not authorized (or authorization received, which you should see on the cable card menu). My case all the switching from card 1 to slot 1 to slot 2 back to slot 1 back to slot 2 etc they had the wrong cablecard numbers and host id's. They should check these numbers first just to fix any simple numerical problems. The second tech fixed this issue quick.

When is your next tech appointment? This weekend, next week?

I really doubt there is an issue with the card slot.

can you view all hd channels on card 1, can you view any hd channels on card 2?

I can help you trouble shoot a bit more if you private message me.
spolebitski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:47 PM   #3184
spolebitski

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktick View Post
Sounds like pricing is different from area to area? I'm getting my brother an HDTV and probably an HD Tivo to replace his S2 Tivo, and wondering if it's worth getting cable cards...he's in Oshkosh, WI, and he has the basic non-digital Time Warner cable package now. Is there just a basic package he can get to keep his current base package and just add HD locals or something like that? How much would the most basic HD deal generally cost for cable cards?

I've never dealt with Time Warner and know it's always been a hassle for him in the past, just trying to see what the options are before I throw this new TV and Tivo on him. Thanks for any help.
I think he would need to bump up to the digital package and rent s-cards for (~$3.10 per card). If he is going to have a hdtv and get a tivo hd it is worth it. The HD Package is ~$6.95 and gets your some more than just the basic "free" local channels.

These prices are approximates - based on SE WIS (Milwaukee)
Old 04-25-2008, 11:50 PM   #3185
spolebitski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effinay View Post
aktick - you can get locals in HD OTA for free (assuming they are broadcasting in HD). Just get an antenna for the ToVo HD. No change to your brother's cable lineup would be necessary.
OTA is great and uncompressed however 3 shows this week were partials because of loss signal using the HD Antenna ...

I would trust OTA for shows I was watching live so I could fix any problems that arrise with tuning.

This problems could be due to a $20 HD Antenna ... maybe its not good enough
Old 04-28-2008, 10:21 AM   #3186
aktick

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll just get him a decent OTA antenna for now, I know that's kind of trial and error until you find one that works good, but I don't want him to think he has to get the HD package from TW if he doesn't want to. Plus he probably doesn't want to deal with TW installers now (which sounds like it can be pretty annoying based on this thread).

spolebitski - are the problems with Tivo HD and OTA shows not recording widespread? I've been getting my locals in HD OTA for 4 years now (first with a DirecTV HD-Tivo, now with DirecTV's HD-DVR) and have never had a single problem with an OTA show not recording (and I record way more shows than I care to admit ). Just curious if it's a known issue...sorry for cluttering the thread with non-TW talk, I'll ask in my other thread.
aktick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:11 PM   #3187
realityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effinay View Post
realityboy, can you recommend a good antenna to get the locals on my TiVo HD?
Not really, I picked up a $50 one from Radio Shack. Pretty much just went for whatever was on the shelf since I live <4 miles from the towers. Antenneweb.org is a good place to start, and if you go to the AVS forum. There is a thread for the Dayton area, and the guys over there are very knowledgable. If you happen to have an old antenna from before having satellite, I would try that or even an indoor antenna.
realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:48 AM   #3188
Enforcer

Wanted to give my two cents here. Im in San Antonio and use TWC. When I called to make an appt to get my cable cards installed they told me it was gonna cost $52 for the truck roll. I was kinda mad about this but hey, what are you gonna do? So that night i took the TWC dvr's back and the nice person at the TWC store told me that the TWC store on 410 and Blanco will give me a cable card for installation. No need for a truck roll. So, the next morning i went there and sure enough, they gave me an M card. I took that baby home, installed it in the TivoHD and I received partial success. I could get the local HD tier, but none of the other HD channels. I must say, the TWC rep on the phone was awesome. He insisted on staying on the phone the entire time during my CC install. We were on the phone for about 45 minutes. After he tried several things and talked to several people, I still wasnt getting anything other than the local HD. Now I know about SDV in San Antonio, but there were still a few HD channels that were black. After he tried everything he knew, he made a truck roll appointment. I had read all the Tivo faq's and I tried to tell him it was billing/acct issue, but that didnt seem to help. About 2 hours after hanging up, another really nice guy from TWC called and asked me about the situation. I explained to him the problem and he said he recognized the problem. The CC wasnt authorized properly to see those other HD channels. He did his thing and bam. Im watching HD channels (well, the non-sdv ones anyway).

So if you live in San Antonio, you can pick up the cards and do the install. And there shoudnt be a need for a truck roll.

Love Tivo, its my first and I can't understand why it took me so many years to get it.
Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:25 AM   #3189
Jimbo713
CreaTiVoty!

Enforcer -

Great news and encouraging news for me. A truck is rolling out tomorow *Wed) to install my M-Card and the Triple Play from TWC. I'll expect nothing but the same result!

TiVo Premiere with My DVR Expander HD
HD-TiVo
Jimbo713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:24 AM   #3190
Rayd8tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo713 View Post
Enforcer -

Great news and encouraging news for me. A truck is rolling out tomorow *Wed) to install my M-Card and the Triple Play from TWC. I'll expect nothing but the same result!
I'm in SA as well. Had my TivoHD up and running on one M-card for a little over a month now. Install was pretty painless, although I asked about picking up the card myself as well, and was told that they had to roll a truck with it, but I did not get charged at all for the trip. I have all the FREE HD channels they boast which is the networks and PBS, but the others I'm sorely missing. I'll be glad when this tuning resolver makes it's way to SA. Has anyone heard anything official from TWC about it, or when they might possibly be offering it?
Rayd8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:04 PM   #3191
Brainuser

So 3 cards have been tried in slot 2, but none are getting authorized. Card 1 works fine and can record, and see HD channels.
Brainuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:20 AM   #3192
Jimbo713
CreaTiVoty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayd8tor View Post
I have all the FREE HD channels they boast which is the networks and PBS, but the others I'm sorely missing.
What's THIS all about? You get ONLY local channels? Because you're not supposd to get any others OR you CAN"T get any others?

HD-TiVo
Old 04-30-2008, 09:15 AM   #3193
Enforcer

Quote:
What's THIS all about? You get ONLY local channels? Because you're not supposd to get any others OR you CAN"T get any others?
Well, you get a few HD channels other than Local and PBS, but not many. The page that TWC has that shows what channels you will NOT get is badly outdated. So dont be surprised when you dont get more channels than you get. San Antonio is an SDV area and alot of the HD channels are providing using SDV.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:57 AM   #3194
T-Shee

A Few More in HD

FYI,
TWC in New York City - Manhattan - the following new HD stations were added 4/30/08. (Time Warner Manhattan South).

CNN HD on ch.710
Food Network HD on ch. 750
HGTV HD on ch. 764
Hallmark Movie Channel HD on ch. 784
Animal Planet HD on ch. 786
Versus/Golf HD on 794

Travel Channel HD on ch. 788 (per TWC memo) didn't happen.

I still don't have the Guide Info for any of these yet - "To Be Announced" is all that's showing.
ESATA = Antec MX-1, Samsung HD501LJ
T-Shee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #3195
Rayd8tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
Well, you get a few HD channels other than Local and PBS, but not many. The page that TWC has that shows what channels you will NOT get is badly outdated. So dont be surprised when you dont get more channels than you get. San Antonio is an SDV area and alot of the HD channels are providing using SDV.
Right. If you subscribe to the HD teir you get a "Few" more HD channels, but not all of the ones listed as most of them are now SDV. Since the ones missing are the ones I most want I just dropped the HD teir and now just get the FREE ones they provide, which are the major networks and PBS. Those are not SDV as of now. The tuning resolver will fix all this when it is available. At that time I'll have TWC turn back on the full HD package again.
Rayd8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:54 PM   #3196
Effinay

Big Grin Cablecard Installation

ok.. so they finally send another guy out to install the cablecards in my TiVoHD (again). The first question out of his mouth was "Is your TiVo the one with the CableCards in the back or in the front?" I told him it was a TiVo HD, so they get installed in the front. Then he whips out a brand new MCard!

SWEET! This guy has actually set up TiVos before and knows exactly what to do. He brought extra cards (both M and S) in case I had an S3 or if one of the other cards were bad. After 20 minutes and 2 phone calls he had me up and running. From what I could tell, this guy actually worked for TimeWarner (not a contractor that they usually send to do the installations).

I've got all my locals and some other HD channels. "The Universe" on HistoryHD is amazing!
Old 04-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #3197
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Shee View Post
FYI,
TWC in New York City - Manhattan - the following new HD stations were added 4/30/08. (Time Warner Manhattan South).
TWC NYC also sent out a press release that there would be additional HD stations by the end of the year (finally!)

ALSO big NYC news - the city reached an agreement yesterday to offer a cable TV contract to Verizon FIOS which means FINALLY there will be some NYC competition for TWC and hopefully we'll start to see some price reductions and special offers to keep us from switching over...
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:24 PM   #3198
Cainebj

P.S. - I just don't understand TWC's HD lineup.
Now we have the basics, half a dozen sports channels, food, house, animal yet none of the good stuff like Sci-Fi, Discovery, Bravo and stations I would actually watch.

I mean c'mon - who wants Golf in HD?
(OK i'm sure someone does but seriously...)
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:39 PM   #3199
59er
TiVotee

My new NYC HD channels showed up at midnight, all as "To Be Announced," but as soon as I forced a connection the guide info was already there.

As for the press release, they said we would have 100 HD channels by the end of 2008 -- and no mention of SDV (but no promise that it won't be SDV, of course).
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:00 PM   #3200
Firekite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I mean c'mon - who wants Golf in HD?
(OK i'm sure someone does but seriously...)
Consider the demographic. People who will watch professional golf are, more often than not, going to to be capable and generally expecting to watch it in HD. That said, I think the Sci-Fi channel would make a lot of sense, too.
Firekite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:15 PM   #3201
mklitt

Angry Shocked and Unhappy in San Antonio

So I have had my Tivo HD Series 3 for a year or more in San Antonio with Time Warner Cable and things went fine. Recently most of my HD channels stopped recording on Tivo. I was adding TW Digital phone and DSL(turbo), so I asked the sales persons to add a service call and send out two cable cards as there must be a cable card problem.

The cable guy shows up to install all my new stuff, but has no clue he is to make a service call. He has no cable cards and does not know from cable cards. (Off topic but he would not give me an updated channel listing, mine was a year old, because I was not "upgrading" the TV, only adding digital phone and Road Runner. )

Today another cable guy comes with cards. Calls a cable buddy to come over. Calls another cable buddy! I have three trucks outside.

I am helping, looking on Tivo. Nothing works. Finally about 3 hours later Cable Guy #1 tells me my Tivo HD does not get the HD channels because TWC has gone to "switched digital video."

So my expensive Tivo HD DVR can record ESPN and the local stations. Funny how they did not make ESPN switched . .. .

NO Discovery, NO National Geographic, NO ESPN2, NO History Channel

NO RECORDING DEADLIEST CATCH IN HD, which is how I "discovered" this problem.

They did not even tell their own tech people! That's cost productive to send out a tech for three hours. He says not many people have Tivo HD. Well they won't now! How would you like to install cable cards in a new Tivo HD and then demonstrate to the homeower that they can see and record 4 HD channels.

If I had another option here, I would take it! I called Grande, but they are not in my area. I had one of the satellites but I don't think it was very Tivo friendly and I never got reception when it stormed. I dropped them after they gave me three boxes in a row that did not work.

TWC gave me a DVR free for six months, so now I have to use their %^$# DVR to record in HD.

They better get this sorted out in six months. I understand a tuner will fix it, but the tuner is being developed. It had better be quick and had better be free and I hope that Tivo is talking hard to Time Warner because they are being undermined here.

I had not notification whatsover of this "switching" but you better believe I feel switched and I wish I could switch. I have 60 days to get out of the Time Warner contract if anyone has any good ideas. My zip is 78260.

Anyone else upset about this in San Antonio?
mklitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:13 PM   #3202
Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklitt View Post
So I have had my Tivo HD Series 3 for a year or more in San Antonio with Time Warner Cable and things went fine. Recently most of my HD channels stopped recording on Tivo. I was adding TW Digital phone and DSL(turbo), so I asked the sales persons to add a service call and send out two cable cards as there must be a cable card problem.

The cable guy shows up to install all my new stuff, but has no clue he is to make a service call. He has no cable cards and does not know from cable cards. (Off topic but he would not give me an updated channel listing, mine was a year old, because I was not "upgrading" the TV, only adding digital phone and Road Runner. )

Today another cable guy comes with cards. Calls a cable buddy to come over. Calls another cable buddy! I have three trucks outside.

I am helping, looking on Tivo. Nothing works. Finally about 3 hours later Cable Guy #1 tells me my Tivo HD does not get the HD channels because TWC has gone to "switched digital video."

So my expensive Tivo HD DVR can record ESPN and the local stations. Funny how they did not make ESPN switched . .. .

NO Discovery, NO National Geographic, NO ESPN2, NO History Channel

NO RECORDING DEADLIEST CATCH IN HD, which is how I "discovered" this problem.

They did not even tell their own tech people! That's cost productive to send out a tech for three hours. He says not many people have Tivo HD. Well they won't now! How would you like to install cable cards in a new Tivo HD and then demonstrate to the homeower that they can see and record 4 HD channels.

If I had another option here, I would take it! I called Grande, but they are not in my area. I had one of the satellites but I don't think it was very Tivo friendly and I never got reception when it stormed. I dropped them after they gave me three boxes in a row that did not work.

TWC gave me a DVR free for six months, so now I have to use their %^$# DVR to record in HD.

They better get this sorted out in six months. I understand a tuner will fix it, but the tuner is being developed. It had better be quick and had better be free and I hope that Tivo is talking hard to Time Warner because they are being undermined here.

I had not notification whatsover of this "switching" but you better believe I feel switched and I wish I could switch. I have 60 days to get out of the Time Warner contract if anyone has any good ideas. My zip is 78260.

There is a whole thead on SDV. Do a search of the forums and its there. And unfortunately for you and I, we live in a TWC area that uses it. I wasn't too pleased about the HD channels, but I knew about SDV before I bought my TivoHD. Lets hope that Tivo adddress this issue sooner rather than later.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:43 AM   #3203
Jimbo713
CreaTiVoty!

Yep - I had installers at the house four hours trying to get two s-card to work. No success - an MCard is on the way today. But, leaving DirecTV (with 100 HD channels and a working DVR) to save a ton of money with an HDTiVo and have only a handful of HD - I have to wonder. But, I'll deal with it - the savings is the trade-off.

I did speak to a "head-end" tech during the installation about SDV and he did say that they are working on getting cablecards (specifically FOR TiVo) and SDV to "talk" to each other. No time-line, though.

HD-TiVo
Old 05-01-2008, 08:03 AM   #3204
cab2

definately check out the SDV threads. I'm in austin and in the same boat as you folks. I'm not sure about the San A. line up, but Austin has a TON of the SDV channels. I've now done the research I needed to do, and will be switching to Directv shortly. Yes, the Tuning Adaptor is coming, but it sure as heck doesn't look like it will be available in Q2 of this year. For me, switching to DTV, getting more HD, and saving a few bucks, means I'm leaving TWC. I love Tivo and have been with them since they first started, but TWC screwed me with making all their stuff SDV. I needed to see an actual DTV hddvr, and play with their interface. Its certainly no tivo, but it's not as bad as I had prepared myself it would be. I played with my buddies setup last weekend. All thats left to do is to see what deals are available now for new DTV customers and make the call. I don't see this as Tivo's fault, I see it as a TWC problem. I understand their reasoning for doing what they did, but I'm paying for channels I can't get. To me, that's just wrong.
cab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:14 AM   #3205
Jimbo713
CreaTiVoty!

- and does anybody have the accurate list of channels that are SDV on TWC, San Antonio? Those you can't get with a cable card?

HD-TiVo
Old 05-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #3206
Firekite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklitt View Post
I have 60 days to get out of the Time Warner contract if anyone has any good ideas. My zip is 78260.
Oof. Why did you set up a contract? Refuse to do so. Tell them that a lack of a contract is the primary reason why you're even talking to them. They'll still work with you.

Quote:
All of us are in the same boat as you, unfortunately for everyone involved. See the SDV FAQ thread for more info.
Firekite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:08 AM   #3207
mklitt

Quote:
- and does anybody have the accurate list of channels that are SDV on TWC, San Antonio? Those you can't get with a cable card?
The channel line up dated March 2008 has a red box next to certain channels indicating "Channels not available with Cable Card technology." That includes some on demand channels too, but that must be an error. They should all be marked that way. No on demand channel works with the cable cards. As I understand it, that would not be possible. I have not tested this.

I count 47 HD channels (many are multiples of HBO, etc.) 28 are marked as not working and they are most of the good ones. National Geographic and Discovery are the two channels I most want in HD. They are not available.

Supposedly HBO works, but I have not tried it. I have not been messing with it, because I am so disgusted.

Some that work, I never heard of. HDNET?
Old 05-02-2008, 01:52 PM   #3208
mklitt

Angry Found INCOMPLETE List

http://www.timewarnercable.com/SanAn...cablecard.html

This is a list of San Antonio channels that do not work, but it doesn't list most of the stations I was unhappy about! The best way to see is get the new channel listing flyer as I mentioned above.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #3209
Jimbo713
CreaTiVoty!

I have the M-Card working now - after a second tech visit yesterday that lasted close to 9pm. 3 guys showed up so that the lead tech could demo cable card installation to the other two. But, the install failed and they had to leave - we had to get the kids to bed. So, today, I called TWC tech support, read them the numbers from the card, and BINGO! It's working.

HD-TiVo
Old 05-02-2008, 10:51 PM   #3210
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

One of my S-Cards died in my Series-3 - only showed Basic Cable. TW guy said it's a signal problem and started reconfiguring the splitters. I connected the input line to go directly into the TiVo to show him that it was a problem with the card. Other card worked fine.

He went and got another card - this time an M-card that had to update its firmware for 40 minutes. I had to insist that one M-card would not be enough. 2 hours later another tech appeared and the first one left. He put in another M-card. Then the S-card died so he put in yet another M-card. 2 hours after that "we" finally got it working. In the process we rebooted TiVo, the router, and the cable modem. Have no idea what the solution really was.

What a mess!!!~ CB
abredt is offline   Reply With Quote