TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-24-2006, 12:25 AM   #271
SoBayJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11
I'm in Redondo Beach, CA... very close to LA.

Franchising authority? Never heard of those guys... can you tell me more?
It would be the City of Redondo Beach. Check this out: http://www.redondo.org/in_the_city/c...on/default.asp

Nonunsed Series 2s
Series 3 - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
TiVo HD - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
Premiere XL (lifetime)
Verizon FiOS with CableCARDs
SoBayJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:42 AM   #272
danator

Quote:
I got $20 creditted for yesterday, and another $20 for today.

Then I told them I'm really angry and I want more to appease me, so I now also have $10 off my internet bill for the next 6 months, $15 off my cable bill for the next 6 months, my HBO is now free for 3 months, and they gave me the Showtime/MovieChannel package free for the for next 3 months.

I'm now rescheduled for next Saturday. No idea what I'm going to have to ask for if those idiots end up not showing up again when that comes around.
Hey, not a bad deal. . At least they willing to pay for the mistake.
danator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:16 AM   #273
eisenb11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBayJake
It would be the City of Redondo Beach. Check this out: http://www.redondo.org/in_the_city/c...on/default.asp
Thanks Jake, I think I'll have to get on that!
eisenb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:16 AM   #274
eisenb11

Quote:
Originally Posted by danator
Hey, not a bad deal. . At least they willing to pay for the mistake.
I told you all "heads will roll"!
Old 09-24-2006, 08:13 AM   #275
BGreenstone

TW Austin

I've been having quite a bit of trouble with TW Austin's Cable Cards. When they first came to hook me up, one of the CC's went into permanent firmware update mode. The other card worked, but I couldn't get any 1600 channels. Then they replaced the bad card, and swapped slots for the first card. That worked, and suddenly gave me more HD channels. However, for unknown reasons the only channel I can get in the HD Tier is Universal HD. None of the HDNet channels will come in, and TWC doesn't know why - they're sending someone over again on Monady to investigate.

Is there anyone here in Austin who is receiving everything on their CC? Are you getting all the HDNet and local HD channels? If so, what kind of CableCard did they give you? Is it the old Scientific Atlanta card, or did they give you something else?

Also, what's worse is that randomly I'll lose channels and then they come back later. Sometimes I will actually lose the ability to tune my old analog stations (channels 2-99). Then, sometimes I just lose a few channels in the 1500 or 1600 range. While other times is the 100-900 range digital channels. On a few rare occasions I've actually lost *all* channels for up to 10 minutes. There was signal because my TV's tuner could still see them. I don't know if I should be blaming TWC or Tivo for this oddity.

All I can say is that so far this S3 upgrade has been a nightmare.

-Brian
BGreenstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:23 AM   #276
hookbill
Feathered Member

I had to tell them it was for two different tv sets in order to get them to bring out two cards. Has anyone been successful just telling them the truth and had somebody intelligent enough to understand what they were saying?

I should say hopefully they are bringing out two cards. And how come it takes so darn long, I can't get anyone out here until 10/9?
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:41 AM   #277
VoodooNYC

After waiting 10 hours for TWC to arrive, technician inserted both cards and card 1 went into permanant firmware upgrade mode. The button to eject on Card 2 is not working at all. He left with everything basically broken and said another supervisor would come out today. Supervsor called today and said that because it's Sunday, he doesn't have any cable cards and will try to come out early next week. After looking at the back of the box, I realized nothing is going to get cable card 2 out of the slot. Called TiVo and told them I was sold a defective machine - there's no possible way that the eject button for cablecard 2 slot could have been broken by TWC, I was watching him the whole time. TiVo said that their engineering department would call me back on Monday to discuss an exchange. I'm really not sure this is worth it at this point.
VoodooNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:45 AM   #278
skweaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGreenstone

Is there anyone here in Austin who is receiving everything on their CC?
Sort of. I have one card from 2004 and one from 2006. I get all HD and Premiums on both, but only the newer card gets all the digtal tier and analog channels. The old card can not tune digital tier channels for some reason, only analog. I worked with web chat support a few times yesterday and made it worse, getting error code 161-1 and at times, an endless loop of this message popping up (I can clear it if I am quick with the remote ). I have tech coming today to swap with a newer card.
I'm very close to having a fully functional system.
skweaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:24 AM   #279
vpras

Orange County CA TWC

Time Warner (recently purchased Comcast and Adelphia in So Cal) refused my request for Cablecards today. I fought with the service rep and demanded to be connected to a supervisor. She reiterated what the rep said - then I started pushing. She said they "will not touch another piece of equipment except for their own" but that they will "install cablecards only in TV's". Of course this made no sense so I had her. She agreed to send out a tech to "see what they could do" at a cost of $50 PER HOUR!! This is most ridiculous and I will dispute the charge, Meanwhile they do not come until next Saturday so we'll see.

Interestingly if I had simply said I needed two cable cards installed in two TV's and left the word "TiVo" out of the conversation I sincerely believe that I would not have had an issue. Time Warner tried to sell me on their DVR twice during the call.

What a royal pain in the ass.
vpras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:40 AM   #280
ScottE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill
I had to tell them it was for two different tv sets in order to get them to bring out two cards. Has anyone been successful just telling them the truth and had somebody intelligent enough to understand what they were saying?
Not here. When I made the appointment, I said I had a new Tivo, and needed two CableCards, and the CSR replied "You have two TV's that you want installed? Okay, let me see what time is available...".

The installer arrived and was genuinely confused about what the Tivo was; he kept thinking it was part of the TV, and talking about the "weird Mitsubishi menus" that we had to go through.

That said, he had no problems standing around while I physically installed the cards, and navigated the menus. He also mentioned that the install was the easiest CableCard install he had ever done, since nothing went wrong, and everything activated on the first try.
ScottE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:51 AM   #281
Diacritical

Quote:
TWC/NYC/Brooklyn here...

When I asked for two CCs, the rep said, "Is this for that new TiVo?" ithout any prompting. She had no problem scheduling an install -- but managed to deauthorize one of my current boxes (the one being replaced) in the process. Apparently they are getting scores if not hundreds of calls for cable cards suddenly. They did not even try to sell me on keeping the box for PPV/VOD.

Install is scheduled for 2-6PM EDT next Friday. We'll see how well that goes.

--
Diacritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:58 AM   #282
elsumptero

TW Austin

deleted

Last edited by elsumptero : 10-13-2007 at 01:37 AM.
elsumptero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:01 PM   #283
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsumptero
Time Warner Austin

I had my cards installed for $35 + $6.95 ea / mo on Friday morning (at least that's what I was quoted). They didn't even flinch at the S3 TiVo - no questions asked.

The installer was unable to get any encrypted channels (we did get some of the 100s and the local HD's fine) & proceeded to tell me that it takes 24 hours and I should call then if I don't have anything. 24 hours later, still nothing. A tech was scheduled to come Sunday between 7a and 10a.

That's today. The tech has been here since 7am (going on 5 hours now) and is still working on it. It appears there were account setup issues preventing most things from working the first day. We've gotten to the point where both cards get most channels. SDV channels are and always will be missing (west premiums mostly), but more importantly the following HD channels are missing:

espnhd
maxhd
starzhd
inhd1
inhd2
hdnet
hdnetmv

HBO and Showtime HD work fine, as do the 700s (premiums) and local HD channels.

Hopefully we'll be able to get this resolved soon.
Does your status page say 'waiting for EMM's'?
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:02 PM   #284
rodlebod

Arrow Power Key Status Waiting For EMMs

After my installation yesterday, I noticed I am not getting most of the 100+ channels on cable card 1 of my Scientific Atlantic(?) cable cards. Card 2 seems to work fine. After checking the settings, both cards say "waiting for CP Auth" but the troublesome card says "Power Key Status Waiting For EMMs". Time Warner wants to send someone out but I hoped they could fix it over the phone. I have restarted and repeated the guided setup several times. So far, my installation has not gone as smooth as I hoped. Has anyone else had this problem?
rodlebod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:04 PM   #285
skweaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsumptero
Time Warner Austin

That's today. The tech has been here since 7am (going on 5 hours now) and is still working on it.
I have a tech scheduled for today also, ask him if he has another appt for someone in SW Austin
skweaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:16 PM   #286
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodlebod
After my installation yesterday, I noticed I am not getting most of the 100+ channels on cable card 1 of my Scientific Atlantic(?) cable cards. Card 2 seems to work fine. After checking the settings, both cards say "waiting for CP Auth" but the troublesome card says "Power Key Status Waiting For EMMs". Time Warner wants to send someone out but I hoped they could fix it over the phone. I have restarted and repeated the guided setup several times. So far, my installation has not gone as smooth as I hoped. Has anyone else had this problem?
An EMM is an 'entitlement management message'. It comes from the cablecompany to tell the cablecard what it is entitled to decode. Most likely it is either a cablecompany setup problem or a bad cablecard.

When I was stuck at waiting for EMM, changing the cablecard fixed the issue.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:17 PM   #287
allenplu

Good luck

I'm in Placentia (north orange county, california) and I'm in TWC formerly adelphia. They came Friday and the cards were called in but didn't bring up any channels for more than an hour. Then he gave up.

Called the call center and was refused. Then talked to the supervisor (Javier) at the Ontario call center. Was told that they will not "help their competitor" and refused an installation. I got to the point of quoting the plug and play order from the FCC along with the list of CableLabs approved devices. He still refused. I asked to speak to his supervisor and he said there was no supervisor. I insisted and he said that a Marylin Hanes would call me within 24 hours. She was the supervisor for the call center. She did not call me and it's been 40 hours. I called TiVo and they were going to conference call with me but I had to leave the house. I can't imagine that would work at this point since Javier had flat out refused even with threats to file complaints with the FCC and franchising authorities.

My next step is to call TWC again, then have TiVo help with a call.

It's Sunday, so I may need to wait until Monday. We'll see.
allenplu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:19 PM   #288
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID
An EMM is an 'entitlement management message'. It comes from the cablecompany to tell the cablecard what it is entitled to decode. Most likely it is either a cablecompany setup problem or a bad cablecard.

When I was stuck at waiting for EMM, changing the cablecard fixed the issue.
Also, the Auth Status should be "CP Auth Received'. The card is saying that it hasnt been 'hit' by the cablecompany or that the 'hit' it has received doesnt contain the right host id.

Last edited by SCSIRAID : 09-24-2006 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Clarify
Old 09-24-2006, 12:37 PM   #289
Lisa898

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooNYC
After waiting 10 hours for TWC to arrive, technician inserted both cards and card 1 went into permanant firmware upgrade mode. The button to eject on Card 2 is not working at all. He left with everything basically broken and said another supervisor would come out today. Supervsor called today and said that because it's Sunday, he doesn't have any cable cards and will try to come out early next week. After looking at the back of the box, I realized nothing is going to get cable card 2 out of the slot. Called TiVo and told them I was sold a defective machine - there's no possible way that the eject button for cablecard 2 slot could have been broken by TWC, I was watching him the whole time. TiVo said that their engineering department would call me back on Monday to discuss an exchange. I'm really not sure this is worth it at this point.
That doesn't sound good. Can you at least record OTA while you're waiting or does having the one card stuck in the machine screw that up?
Lisa898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:52 PM   #290
eisenb11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpras
Time Warner (recently purchased Comcast and Adelphia in So Cal) refused my request for Cablecards today. I fought with the service rep and demanded to be connected to a supervisor. She reiterated what the rep said - then I started pushing. She said they "will not touch another piece of equipment except for their own" but that they will "install cablecards only in TV's". Of course this made no sense so I had her. She agreed to send out a tech to "see what they could do" at a cost of $50 PER HOUR!! This is most ridiculous and I will dispute the charge, Meanwhile they do not come until next Saturday so we'll see.

Interestingly if I had simply said I needed two cable cards installed in two TV's and left the word "TiVo" out of the conversation I sincerely believe that I would not have had an issue. Time Warner tried to sell me on their DVR twice during the call.

What a royal pain in the ass.
I'd call again and try with another rep, this one is clueless.

Mine didn't ask what I was putting it in until I said I needed two. Then she asked if I had 2 TVs. I told her it was 1 TV with 2 slots - didn't want to confuse her, much better to keep it simple.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:11 PM   #291
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
I'd call again and try with another rep, this one is clueless.

Mine didn't ask what I was putting it in until I said I needed two. Then she asked if I had 2 TVs. I told her it was 1 TV with 2 slots - didn't want to confuse her, much better to keep it simple.
I'm surprised she was willing to do that. When I first said it was a TiVo with two cable card slot she said only one cable card can be use. When I called back and told another rep it was for two tV's, no problem.
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:22 PM   #292
freiz

Quote:
Also, the Auth Status should be "CP Auth Received'. The card is saying that it hasnt been 'hit' by the cablecompany.
Nah, the card is saying it hasn't been authorized. The cable company can hit the cards day and night and they will not authorize unless they have been paired with your Tivo HOST ID. You can see cable company hits - just watch the EMM count increment. I had many, many hits and the EMM count incremented fine, but my cable cards had never been properly paired to my Tivo HOST ID. When they paired them, they worked within a minute.

As to all this BS about taking hours + for the auth to flow down, that's a lie. Don't let the guy leave... it takes just a few minutes to hit a card with the auths, usually under a minute. I have read anecdotal evidence that some other cable card devices take hours to process new auths, but Tivo processes them immediately.
Cable card installed 9.20.2006 @ 1:30PM

2x Tivo S2
freiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:37 PM   #293
SCSIRAID

Quote:
I'm surprised she was willing to do that. When I first said it was a TiVo with two cable card slot she said only one cable card can be use. When I called back and told another rep it was for two tV's, no problem.
Yup... TWC Raleigh got bent over a single device with 2 cablecards. The tech convinced the phone rep to just look at it as two devices with 1 cablecard each and all was then fine.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:51 PM   #294
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by freiz
Nah, the card is saying it hasn't been authorized. The cable company can hit the cards day and night and they will not authorize unless they have been paired with your Tivo HOST ID. You can see cable company hits - just watch the EMM count increment. I had many, many hits and the EMM count incremented fine, but my cable cards had never been properly paired to my Tivo HOST ID. When they paired them, they worked within a minute.

As to all this BS about taking hours + for the auth to flow down, that's a lie. Don't let the guy leave... it takes just a few minutes to hit a card with the auths, usually under a minute. I have read anecdotal evidence that some other cable card devices take hours to process new auths, but Tivo processes them immediately.
I could be wrong but I believe the 'hit' is what contains the pairing information as well as indicate what a particular cablecard is able to decode for a particular host.

Perhaps I should have said that the card hadnt been hit with an appropriate EMM with the proper pairing information.

http://arstechnica.com/guides/other/cablecard.ars/2

"Once these keys are recorded, the CableCARD is "hit" by the cable company, which simply means that it is remotely programmed with information about what channels and services you have paid for and are entitled to watch. This is done by sending an Entitlement Management Message (EMM) from the headend to the CableCARD. An EMM is an out-of-band transmission (it sends data over low frequencies not reserved for cable channels) that authorizes a specific CableCARD to decode a specific set of services (HBO, etc.) to a specific host. Once this is done, the CableCARD is ready to go. To explain how it works, let's follow a typical cable signal from the headend to your screen."
Old 09-24-2006, 02:13 PM   #295
VoodooNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa898
That doesn't sound good. Can you at least record OTA while you're waiting or does having the one card stuck in the machine screw that up?

Yeah it's not good. The machine is completely frozen on the downloading upgrade for cable card screen and I can't pull the card out. It'll have to go back to Tivo.
VoodooNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:21 PM   #296
joshandmegan

TWC in Carlsbad, CA.

Went in field office Friday to schedule install. Appointment set for the next day. Installer arrived 30 minutes into the 2-hour window.

He was a bit surprised that they were going in a Tivo, but he let me put them both in (one at a time per a previous post I read). They had to "hit" the cards twice, and it took about 3-5 minutes before the cards starting picking up channels.

The install cost $25, and the cost of each card is just under $4/mo.

Couldn't have gone smoother if you ask me...

jf
Old 09-24-2006, 03:00 PM   #297
eisenb11

I don't see why we can't just self-install the cards.

In most of the posts I read, it seems like the installer just hands us the cards and sits around until we're ready for him to call the head end.

I for one, would love that option. Assuming they actually show up next Sat, it'll have taken me 3 weeks of waiting in order to accomplish a 10 minute task - no wonder productivity in this country sucks.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:48 PM   #298
joshandmegan

Quote:
I don't see why we can't just self-install the cards.

In most of the posts I read, it seems like the installer just hands us the cards and sits around until we're ready for him to call the head end.
I totally agree... Except the fact the installer has a direct Nextel connection to the home office for activation.

I'd hate to sit on hold for 30 min waiting to activate the cards...

If we can call an automated 800-number to activate our credit cards, why can't we do the same for CableCards? Someday, perhaps.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:04 PM   #299
freiz

Quote:
I could be wrong but I believe the 'hit' is what contains the pairing information as well as indicate what a particular cablecard is able to decode for a particular host.

Perhaps I should have said that the card hadnt been hit with an appropriate EMM with the proper pairing information.

You were right on - I was just pointing out the distinction that they can hit the cards all day and night, but if they never bothered to enter your HOST ID, encrypted channels won't be authorized.

In essence, they kept sending me hits, but the packets didn't contain the pairing information, so my cards never authorized. They compounded the problem by failing to check when I told them my cards said Waiting for CP Auth... if my host ID had ever been recorded.

A small 15 minute class would bring CSR and techs up to speed on exactly what's needed. It's just stupid to miss simple stuff like this - and no less than 6 people missed the HOST ID problem.
Cable card installed 9.20.2006 @ 1:30PM

2x Tivo S2
freiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:07 PM   #300
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by freiz
You were right on - I was just pointing out the distinction that they can hit the cards all day and night, but if they never bothered to enter your HOST ID, encrypted channels won't be authorized.

In essence, they kept sending me hits, but the packets didn't contain the pairing information, so my cards never authorized. They compounded the problem by failing to check when I told them my cards said Waiting for CP Auth... if my host ID had ever been recorded.

A small 15 minute class would bring CSR and techs up to speed on exactly what's needed. It's just stupid to miss simple stuff like this - and no less than 6 people missed the HOST ID problem.
Got it... Thanks! I revised my post and clarified it.

You are right on. The techs or CSR's really dont understand cablecards. He asked the lady on the other end of the Nextel about an EMM and she had no idea what it was. And the sad thing is that it really isnt all that hard. All they really have to do is pay attention to the card status. It is telling you what it needs...