TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-09-2008, 12:03 PM   #3001
mercurial
Retro-Av

What the heck is up with TWC Raleigh/Cary? I just saw a bunch of the local HD's have been moved/duplicated to the 1xxx range. I can't tune them there but I can in the 2xx range where they still show up...

They shouldn't be able to move the locals to SDV but are they starting to migrate all the HD to the 1xxx range perhaps since they're running out of slots in the traditional 200-299 area they've been using?
Old 03-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #3002
monkeyboy1010
Long Time User

Checking in if anyone has sage wisdom with installs with TWC in South Pasadena CA? I have had 3 different attempts over the past month with no luck each time. I was originally in the Eagle Rock, CA district and they were a former Adelphia area, so the system is different, they had M Cards and I understand that So. Pas doesn't.

The problem too is that they seem to NEVER have any cable cards available.

Any words or help would be greatly appreciated.

mb1010

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 - S3
monkeyboy1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:01 PM   #3003
DrWho453

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial View Post
What the heck is up with TWC Raleigh/Cary? I just saw a bunch of the local HD's have been moved/duplicated to the 1xxx range. I can't tune them there but I can in the 2xx range where they still show up...

They shouldn't be able to move the locals to SDV but are they starting to migrate all the HD to the 1xxx range perhaps since they're running out of slots in the traditional 200-299 area they've been using?
Yea, I just got home and noticed that too. This is crazy so now I have WRAL CBS on channel 3, WRAL DT and HD on the 25x range and now in the 1xxx range except can't view the 1xxx range. I hope they keep the 25x range until the dongle comes out. Course, if it does go away, I can just go to my table top antenna and pick it up.
DrWho453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:55 AM   #3004
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWho453 View Post
Yea, I just got home and noticed that too. This is crazy so now I have WRAL CBS on channel 3, WRAL DT and HD on the 25x range and now in the 1xxx range except can't view the 1xxx range. I hope they keep the 25x range until the dongle comes out. Course, if it does go away, I can just go to my table top antenna and pick it up.
Well, I don't *think* they could legally move the locals to SDV but there is always the chance they'll try it and then we'll have to cry foul. That would royally p*** me off. Hopefully they're just going to lump all the HD channels up there and they're just not "ready" yet so we can't tune those. I also wonder if they compress the locals at all? If so, maybe they're adding a second SDV feed that's uncompressed? <shrug>
Old 03-10-2008, 09:33 AM   #3005
SugarBowl
Roamio Plus

Quote:
Well, I don't *think* they could legally move the locals to SDV but there is always the chance they'll try it and then we'll have to cry foul. That would royally p*** me off. Hopefully they're just going to lump all the HD channels up there and they're just not "ready" yet so we can't tune those. I also wonder if they compress the locals at all? If so, maybe they're adding a second SDV feed that's uncompressed? <shrug>
It's probably moving stuff around for the extra basketball channels.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #3006
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy1010 View Post
Checking in if anyone has sage wisdom with installs with TWC in South Pasadena CA? I have had 3 different attempts over the past month with no luck each time. I was originally in the Eagle Rock, CA district and they were a former Adelphia area, so the system is different, they had M Cards and I understand that So. Pas doesn't.

The problem too is that they seem to NEVER have any cable cards available.

Any words or help would be greatly appreciated.

mb1010
Get someone from Eagle Rock High School to do the install.
They could probably do a better job than the local franchise.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:04 PM   #3007
GiantsFan24

Quote:
They did this in Hawaii a few months ago. It was not an attempt to make locals SDV. It's just a logical move in advance of adding additional HD channels. The HD channels are on the same number as the SD channels; they just have 1,000 added to the SD number. So its easy to find the HD version of channels you know. E.g., the HD version of channel 3 is 1003. The HD version of HBO (611) is 1611. No sinister plot.
GiantsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #3008
bitfactory

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2 View Post
Thanks for the updated list for austin.

Is anyone else in the TWC Austin area a little bit miffed like I am about the number of channels I can't get with CC? Cableguy is great on this board and we are lucky to have him, but I can't help but feel like complaining to,,,, someone, somewhere, about the number of channels I can't get.

I know the dongle is coming, and I am waiting with baited breath for that day, but it just seems somehow unfair that there are all these channels that cable card customers pay for, but can't get.

Is this list similar to other TWC areas? Seems like a pretty big list to me.
I called TWC here in Cincinnati the other day - I had finally HAD IT with the 8300HDC and its crap software. I told him I'm taking the box back and he said, "That's okay you can exchange the box any..." "No," I said, "That's it - it's a one-way trip - I'll never have a 8300HDC in my house again."

I scheduled to have someone come out to install the cablecards in my new TivoHD I ordered... while I waited I asked what channels were on SDV - this was his line: "I'm sorry, we're not allowed to talk about that to our customers." "What?", I asked "We're not allowed to speak about that topic to our customers at this time." "Uh, do you know which channels are on switched digital video so I know what to expect out of the cablecards?" "We're not allowed to speak about that topic to our customers at this time."

He was obviously reading off a prepared paper. I hear they moved ESPN2HD back to the regular pipe in Cincinnati. I think they are having big-time problems supporting the 8300HDC and its Navigator software. Maybe they moved ESPN2HD back due to so many people running away from their box.

Either way I'm giving TivoHD w/ CC a shot for the next year then it's off to *TV if I'm not satisfied. I'm hoping it's just as good as our 8300HD (which isn't great, but has never eaten a recording, displayed just a green screen until you unplug it, record the video to one show and audio from another, record video in the top half of the screen for one show and some of another show at the bottom).

(end 8300HDC rant).

Hopefully my CC install will go without problems.

Last edited by bitfactory : 03-10-2008 at 07:32 PM.
bitfactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:35 PM   #3009
gamo62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitfactory View Post
I called TWC here in Cincinnati the other day - I had finally HAD IT with the 8300HDC and its crap software. I told him I'm taking the box back and he said, "That's okay you can exchange the box any..." "No," I said, "That's it - it's a one-way trip - I'll never have a 8300HDC in my house again."

I scheduled to have someone come out to install the cablecards in my new TivoHD I ordered... while I waited I asked what channels were on SDV - this was his line: "I'm sorry, we're not allowed to talk about that to our customers." "What?", I asked "We're not allowed to speak about that topic to our customers at this time." "Uh, do you know which channels are on switched digital video so I know what to expect out of the cablecards?" "We're not allowed to speak about that topic to our customers at this time."

He was obviously reading off a prepared paper. I hear they moved ESPN2HD back to the regular pipe in Cincinnati. I think they are having big-time problems supporting the 8300HDC and its Navigator software. Maybe they moved ESPN2HD back due to so many people running away from their box.

Either way I'm giving TivoHD w/ CC a shot for the next year then it's off to *TV if I'm not satisfied. I'm hoping it's just as good as our 8300HD (which isn't great, but has never eaten a recording, displayed just a green screen until you unplug it, record the video to one show and audio from another, record video in the top half of the screen for one show and some of another show at the bottom).

(end 8300HDC rant).

If you have a TivoHD, MAKE SURE they bring an M-card. That way you'll only need one. And as of right now, there are no SDV channels that I know of. I get TNTHD, ESPN and ESPN2HD, HDNET and a few others. And do not let them tell you that they don't have M-cards. Apparently that's all they have in ther warehouse. Good luck!
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:22 AM   #3010
derspiess

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitfactory View Post

Good luck & welcome to the club of Cincy TivoHD'ers. Having just got mine set up recently, my humble advice is to try to be patient with the install process & read as much of the forum as you can.
derspiess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #3011
Chip718

Hi. I am having a issue with my Time Warner Samsung HD box running the Mystro software.

I always keep my cable box powered on. The other day I realized it was off and that usually means that TW did an update to the box. When it started up I noticed that the video on SD channels had black bars on each side of the picture, as if the view mode was set to "Normal", even though the setting was on "Full"." I assumed it was the TV (Sony Bravia) so I tried changing the view settings to Zoom, Stretch, etc., but the picture still had the black bars on the sides. I than tried changing the setting on my cable box, but again no go.

The funny thing HD content, menus and banners take up the full screen. It is just standard SD stuff. After all this happened I turned the same box on in my bedroom and I am having the same issue. I called TW and they had no idea of the issue. The only thing the CRS told me to do was to reboot the box, which I already did a couple of times.
Chip718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:22 PM   #3012
Firekite

Quote:
Originally Posted by laleytx View Post
The funny thing is - if I could have picked up the CC and done the install myself, TWC would have saved three truck rolls and I would have working TV a week earlier.
The rep on the phone just now told me I could come and pick up the card myself, but that only the Central Park Mall location (which replaced the old 410/Jones-Maltsberger location) carries them, as compared to the I-10/Callaghan location that's closer to me.

Is this is a lie? It's what I'd prefer, as I don't want to burn vacation time to sit around and hope.
Firekite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:47 PM   #3013
DallasFlier
HONESTY is nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip718 View Post
Hi. I am having a issue with my Time Warner Samsung HD box running the Mystro software.

I always keep my cable box powered on. The other day I realized it was off and that usually means that TW did an update to the box. When it started up I noticed that the video on SD channels had black bars on each side of the picture, as if the view mode was set to "Normal", even though the setting was on "Full"." I assumed it was the TV (Sony Bravia) so I tried changing the view settings to Zoom, Stretch, etc., but the picture still had the black bars on the sides. I than tried changing the setting on my cable box, but again no go.

The funny thing HD content, menus and banners take up the full screen. It is just standard SD stuff. After all this happened I turned the same box on in my bedroom and I am having the same issue. I called TW and they had no idea of the issue. The only thing the CRS told me to do was to reboot the box, which I already did a couple of times.
Sorry for your problems, but I'm not sure what this has to do with TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs???
Old 03-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #3014
Rayd8tor

I was told that a truck had to roll and install them. I'd prefer to do it myself as well, but i think that TWC wants their 40 bucks... Let me know if they let you.
Rayd8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #3015
cab2

Wait for dongle, or switch to DTV?

Looking for what other folks out there think. I love my tivo and have been with them since a few months after the first unit launched. but...

I'm starting to really consider D*. here's why. SDV and TWC in austin. That long list of channels I can't get, really bugs me. I'm starting to have semi-frequent issues where one of the CC's will not get my hi-def channels. sometimes, rebooting the box will work, sometimes having TWC send a hit will work, sometimes it takes both. D* seems to have a heck of a lot more HD channels than TWC. If I could, I'd watch only HD programing. I did not realize how many of the channels I watch have an HD version until I looked at the D* site.

I'm torn as which way to go. Cost wise, I would prob. save about 15 to 20 a month, and thats nice, but not huge. My biggest thing is content and HD. DTV has more. When the dongle comes out, what if there are problems? Yea, I know, no one can answer that one. I'm hearing great things about the new HD DVR that D* has. I'd miss my season passes, but other than that, and the UI, I think I could live with the difference.

Any ideas what the going rate is for a lifetime sub'd Series 3 (thx) model on ebay or the open market?

Any current / recent DTV users out there want to comment?

thanks for your help.

Last edited by cab2 : 03-12-2008 at 01:56 PM.
cab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:18 PM   #3016
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2 View Post
Looking for what other folks out there think. I love my tivo and have been with them since a few months after the first unit launched. but...

I'm starting to really consider DTV. here's why. SDV and TWC in austin. That long list of channels I can't get, really bugs me. I'm starting to have semi-frequent issues where one of the CC's will not get my hi-def channels. sometimes, rebooting the box will work, sometimes having TWC send a hit will work, sometimes it takes both. DTV seems to have a heck of a lot more HD channels than TWC. If I could, I'd watch only HD programing. I did not realize how many of the channels I watch have an HD version until I looked at the DTV site.

I'm torn as which way to go. Cost wise, I would prob. save about 15 to 20 a month, and thats nice, but not huge. My biggest thing is content and HD. DTV has more. When the dongle comes out, what if there are problems? Yea, I know, no one can answer that one. I'm hearing great things about the new HD DVR that DTV has. I'd miss my season passes, but other than that, and the UI, I think I could live with the difference.
I've decided to wait for the dongle. Of course have an antenna on my roof, so I'm getting all my HD that way and just have analog cable. RTP, NC seems to have backed off SDV and they have just started providing the digital simulcast of the analog channels to CC users, but I decided I'm still gonna wait. But now I'm waiting for SciFi HD and USA HD. Oh, and I'd really like TiVo to get off its collective butt and provide the multistream card support for the series 3.

So basically, I think I'll wait for the S4 to ship and then upgrade.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #3017
gamo62

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkscout View Post
I've decided to wait for the dongle. Of course have an antenna on my roof, so I'm getting all my HD that way and just have analog cable. RTP, NC seems to have backed off SDV and they have just started providing the digital simulcast of the analog channels to CC users, but I decided I'm still gonna wait. But now I'm waiting for SciFi HD and USA HD. Oh, and I'd really like TiVo to get off its collective butt and provide the multistream card support for the series 3.

So basically, I think I'll wait for the S4 to ship and then upgrade.

Well, I went with the HD over D-TV. Mostly because of the software. And right now there are enough HD channels to keep me occupied. When the Tivo 4 comes out, I'll end up being an early adoptor and adding it to my account. Hopefully w/ lifetime service!
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:35 PM   #3018
bxojr

Channel lineup in Raleigh/Durham

I'm in Pittsboro, and about to make the jump from satellite to TWC plus TiVo so I can get HD. I've already bought my HD TiVo but haven't unboxed it yet.

I stopped by the TWC kiosk at Southpoint Mall today to see what they would tell me about CableCARD service. Probably a mistake; the kid working there clearly didn't know much, and spouted FUD like how CableCARD would mean I'd have "a lot fewer" HD channels -- in fact, I he said something like half of them. I think maybe he was trying to give me a garbled version of the SDV story, but from what I've read here even that isn't a factor yet in the RDU area.

Here's my question ... he couldn't tell me clearly what kind of package applied to CableCARD service, or what channels would be included. Can anyone in the area clarify this? I'm not interested in premiums, but other than that, what channels would I get with CableCARD? Which packages apply? And how many channels are SDV as of right now?
bxojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:22 PM   #3019
bxojr

No M-cards in Raleigh/Durham?

OK, bear with me ... I have another question as I plunge headlong into this.

I went ahead and called TWC to see what they'd tell me, and ended up scheduling an install for the day after tomorrow. The sales rep understood exactly what I was asking for, so no problems there.

However, he insisted (even after checking with two different supervisors) that they "no longer offer" M-cards. Instead it would have to be two S-cards, which meant a doubled installation fee.

I balked at this, and eventually he agreed to credit us for the second installation fee. Fine, I said.

So I guess I have two questions. First: can this be true, that they no longer have M-cards in the RDU area? Second: if it's not true, should I keep making trouble? Is there any advantage to having one M-card instead of two S-cards?
Old 03-12-2008, 05:33 PM   #3020
Firekite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxojr View Post
Is there any advantage to having one M-card instead of two S-cards?
I haven't received my TiVo yet, but based on research here it seems like the only advantage is that you don't have to deal with two cards, which hopefully means less stuff that can go wrong, break, get confused (e.g. the hardware ID's for each card and which is in which slot, etc), and so on. That's just the feeling I've gotten based on reading through these forums and other articles here and there.
Firekite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:12 PM   #3021
JYoung
Series 3

You also don't get charged for the second card.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:08 PM   #3022
GiantsFan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
You also don't get charged for the second card.
And that charge is not just the installation fee. Pricing policies differ throughout the TW universe, so your provider may not do this, but in Hawaii we get charged two monthly fees for the two cable cards, plus two monthly fees for the HD package. I have an S3, so I don't know what their policy is regarding M-cards, but presumably it would be considered a single card. On the other hand, I wouldn't put it past them to charge a single fee for the card, and still charge for two HD packages, since it supports two tuners.
GiantsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:44 PM   #3023
bxojr

I don't think they're charging me for two HD subscriptions. The sales rep gave me a total for our monthly bill, and it was very close to what my estimate had been. I do expect to be charged double the monthly CableCARD fee, but that's only $2.50, so I'm not losing a lot of sleep over it.

I wish there were a way for me to get in touch with the installer directly. Then I could just tell him I'd like an M-card if possible. I don't have a lot of confidence in what information gets from the sales reps to the installers.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:44 PM   #3024
wjlyerly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxojr View Post
However, he insisted (even after checking with two different supervisors) that they "no longer offer" M-cards. Instead it would have to be two S-cards, which meant a doubled installation fee.
So I guess I have two questions. First: can this be true, that they no longer have M-cards in the RDU area? Second: if it's not true, should I keep making trouble? Is there any advantage to having one M-card instead of two S-cards?
I had TWC come out to install cable cards in my HD Tivo last Friday (5 days ago) in Apex. The installer showed up with a single M-card. He had things up and running with no real issues. I believe he said that they were only using the M-cards.

So far, I'm getting all the HD content offered, I think. Nothing seems to be on SDV. Not sure about ESPNHD, though.
wjlyerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:02 PM   #3025
bxojr

Thanks, wjlyerly ... sounds like just what I need to know. And it's good to know that it can actually go smoothly!

I think I might call back tomorrow and see if I can't get a different answer about the M-cards. But if I'm lucky, maybe the installer will show up with an M-card anyway. I'm not at all confident that the sales rep knew what he was talking about (he kept referring to the M-card as "bidirectional").
Old 03-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #3026
DrWho453

Yea, the great news is the RAL/DUR TWC isn't using SDV yet. The bad news is that they are copy protecting every digital channel except for the networks and since they have changed scifi, foxsports south, and other analog channels to digital, they have put them on copy protection. I just realized tonight that scifi was blocked which means I can't transfer video to the PC. This is really p***ing me off now and I don't get mad often. We need to start a petition or a boycott against TWC of RAL/DUR and tell them they can't block every channel. Maybe Tivo and the FCC need to get involved. I just love how TWC commercials say they are customer loyal and all. They sure do show that loyalty when the do something like this.
DrWho453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:40 AM   #3027
mmcgown

Reply to boxjr:

In Austin TX, I was told they had no M-cards, but the installer (contractor) had one on his truck and installed it. TWC-Austin charges $2.65/month for a card; however, there was no installation fee, no service trip fee, no just-because-we-can fee.

Call them back and keep asking for supervisors until you find someone who knows intelligent answers.
mmcgown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:55 AM   #3028
Eccles
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcgown View Post
In Austin TX, I was told they had no M-cards, but the installer (contractor) had one on his truck and installed it. TWC-Austin charges $2.65/month for a card; however, there was no installation fee, no service trip fee, no just-because-we-can fee.
It appears that TW Austin's CSR's are all over the shop when it comes to CC knowledge. The rep I spoke with at the service counter at their N MoPac office knew exactly what I meant when I said I need a multi-stream CableCARD for my new TiVo HD, and scheduled a truck roll for the next day, but I was charged $30-something for the visit.
150-hour Premiere XL (Lifetime)
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:14 PM   #3029
mmcgown

Eccles:

You should call and ask for a service credit.
mmcgown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #3030
TxPres

I agree.
I was not charged for a service fee for the truck roll.
TxPres is offline   Reply With Quote