Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-04-2015, 03:22 PM   #1
kupe
Viva 'la Tivolution!

The MPEG-4 letter from Comcast

Hey gang-

Got a letter today from Comcast/Xfinity that our Tivo Series 3 (and I'm assuming they mean our Tivo HD) is not compatible with an upcoming change to their service (MPEG-4).

Surprised to not see this here or in a sticky or in the Official Comcast Cablecard thread. (Yes I searched so everyone just be nice.)

Is our trusty Tivo HD really hosed?

Thanks!

Kupe

EDIT- We're in the Atlanta Comcast market for those following this transition.

Last edited by kupe; 06-05-2015 at 04:13 PM.
kupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

That this type of thing was happening or about to happen has been covered well in these forums, unless they mean all channels will be MPEG-4, which seems doubtful.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 06-04-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
You'll need a TiVo Premiere or Roamio model for MPEG-4 support; you won't be able to receive any channels that get transitioned over to MPEG-4 using the HD/Series 3 models.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 06-04-2015, 04:37 PM   #4
kupe
Viva 'la Tivolution!

Thanks gang. Like I said the letter from Comcast just arrived today. End of June....yikes. It says all HD channels will be affected (we're Atlanta market).

A different subject I realize, but will our WD MyDVR Expander (same vintage as our Tivo HD) work with a new Roamio?

Tivo Shopping,

Kupe

Old 06-04-2015, 04:46 PM   #5
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by kupe View Post
Thanks gang. Like I said the letter from Comcast just arrived today. End of June....yikes. It says all HD channels will be affected (we're Atlanta market).

A different subject I realize, but will our WD MyDVR Expander (same vintage as our Tivo HD) work with a new Roamio?

Tivo Shopping,

Kupe
I believe it will but I wouldn't use it; the new Roamio's all have bigger hard drives than the HD anyway. And it becomes an additional point of failure to all of your recordings, plus it's already a pretty old device most likely.

As for getting a new Roamio, the best deal you'll find out there is using a discount coupon from user spherular and buying it direct from TiVo.

Here's a thread on it: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=516044

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 06-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #6
kupe
Viva 'la Tivolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
As for getting a new Roamio, the best deal you'll find out there is using a discount coupon from user spherular and buying it direct from TiVo.

Here's a thread on it: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=516044
Wow Doug that is an amazing deal! It takes a little of the sting out of this. Thank you!!!

So is our beloved Tivo HD basically now worthless? I don't imagine anyone would pay anything for one if they don't work with HD channels on Comcast much longer. This is really sad. Not the money part- the fact that our beloved Tivo HD that works perfectly is going dark for HD.

Kupe

Old 06-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #7
HerronScott

Quote:
Wow Doug that is an amazing deal! It takes a little of the sting out of this. Thank you!!!

So is our beloved Tivo HD basically now worthless? I don't imagine anyone would pay anything for one if they don't work with HD channels on Comcast much longer. This is really sad. Not the money part- the fact that our beloved Tivo HD that works perfectly is going dark for HD.

Kupe
If you have lifetime they'll have some value for OTA or in the short term for cable companies that aren't using MPEG4 yet.

I'm pretty sure it's going to take Comcast a while to transition all their locations to MPEG4 so I'm hoping our S3's will be good for a few more years before they get to our small town.

Scott

4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:08 PM   #8
ej42137

These last few posts have demonstrated unacceptable behavior for the TiVo Community Forums. Any more outbursts of calmness or thoughtful reactions will be reported and you will be subject to possible suspension and/or banishment.

You have been warned!

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 04:28 PM   #9
WilfBrim

I received the same letter today, and have been cruising about to see if there may be any better news. It appears not. They are going to transition all channels, except those local OTA (which are in MPEG-2 and I guess the transcoding would be too much of a hassle) to MPEG-4.

Unless I'm misunderstanding things the TivoHD will be the next thing to useless. I have lifetime on it, so I'm more than a little bit bummed out on this. So, questions:

1) Is Tivo going to do anything (trade in offer) to soften the blow? Would it be worth a call to them to see if they could do for me? Or am I kidding myself?

2) Is there any value in trying to sell the HD with lifetime? With the Roamio OTA available I don't think that I'd get much for it, and isn't selling it with the lifetime subscription intact a TOS violation?

Oh, and pay no attention to the location: that is old and I can't figure out how to change it. I'm in northwest Atlanta.

Last edited by WilfBrim; 06-06-2015 at 04:32 PM. Reason: clarify location
WilfBrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:11 PM   #10
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
So is our beloved Tivo HD basically now worthless? I don't imagine anyone would pay anything for one if they don't work with HD channels on Comcast much longer.
There are lots of TVs out there that aren't connected to Comcast. But it's not worth much -- it's two generations behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBrim View Post
... isn't selling it with the lifetime subscription intact a TOS violation?
Not at all. People do that all the time. It's kind of the only thing that creates any resale value for a TiVo at all (any model).

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:52 PM   #11
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
it's [Tivo s3/HD] not worth much -- it's two generations behind.
The s3 and HD allow the possibility of disabling the cci bytes, very useful for those affected channels still within the tuning capability. Such shows recorded on the s3/HD are fully functional for the viewer, and retain that functionality after being moved to, say, a Roamio (while the same show recorded on the same channel on the Roamio itself is crippled).

Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:39 AM   #12
HerronScott

Quote:
1) Is Tivo going to do anything (trade in offer) to soften the blow? Would it be worth a call to them to see if they could do for me? Or am I kidding myself?
Someone posted here that they had gotten a special deal from TiVo because of this but not sure they indicated what it was. Depending on how long you've had a TiVo but you could be eligible for the loyalty deal although note that this was originally 10 years.

Quote:
2) Is there any value in trying to sell the HD with lifetime? With the Roamio OTA available I don't think that I'd get much for it, and isn't selling it with the lifetime subscription intact a TOS violation?
Check out eBay sold listings. There are a couple really low ones which probably have the original hard drives but if you have an upgraded drive I'd guess you should be able to get around $180 depending on how much you charge for shipping.

Scott

4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:11 PM   #13
WilfBrim

Big Grin

Quote:

So, a follow up. I did call Tivo sales today and explained the situation. They offered a Roamio Plus (refurbed, but I didn't learn that until I looked at the sales receipt) with lifetime for $525. Now, as an aside, I have 3 units in the house (counting the soon to be sent to the showers TivoHD), plus a mini, so I am a pretty good customer, and (I'd guess) that YMMV in repeating this.

I would, however, recommend anybody else with a Series3 call Tivo and see if they will extend a similar type deal to you. I'm slightly unhappy that the unit is a refurb, but my Premier is a refurb, and you can't tell the difference, and it comes with the same warranty, so it probably doesn't matter.

WilfBrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:12 PM   #14
mlcarson

MPEG4 at end of the year?

Dslreports.com is running a story today about another round of Comcast speed increases incoming but also has the following tidbit:
"Other notable items on Comcast's radar include the full migrations to higher-quality MPEG4 TV signals, which is expected at the tail end of this year".

MPEG4 would normally be a good thing but I'm still running a TIVO HD which doesn't support it. This particular TIVO ignores the CCI flag which has been kind of nice. It sounds like it'll be completely obsolete by the end of the year.

I'm also running a WMC system with an SD HDHomerun Prime which is also becoming obsolete with Windows 10 on 7/29/15. Granted I can still use the WMC system for many years but it's definitely a dead platform now. The Tivo Roamio's are looking better and better at this point.

mlcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:03 PM   #15
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

It'll be funny if Comcast beats Fios to full-scale MPEG-4 conversion, after Fios had such a head start.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:46 PM   #16
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Quote:
.......They are going to transition all channels, except those local OTA (which are in MPEG-2 and I guess the transcoding would be too much of a hassle) to MPEG-4.......
Please correct me if I am wrong, but since all we subscribe to/care about is our locals in HD, so we would be ok, right?