TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #1
androidarmy

How to add metadata to movies transferred from my computer

Videos that TiVo record have "metadata" included on the info screen such as description, actors, year made, etc.
Does anybody know how to add this metadata to movies transferred from my computer.
Usually, the info screen only has the title.
Thanks

androidarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:34 PM   #2
HerronScott

If you are using TiVo Desktop for transferring the movies to your TiVo, check out pyTivo for transferring the movies and Metagenerator for generating the metadata files. Search the TiVo Home Media forum here for information on both.

Scott

4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:08 AM   #3
androidarmy

Thanks, Scott.

I do use PyTivo on my Mac. I have been searching the forums and they keep referring to "pushing" and "pulling" and I have no idea what they are talking about nor can I find an answer. I tried to register so I can post but I'm locked out for some &%$# reason.
Do you know what this push & pull stuff is all about?
Thanks.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:39 AM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by androidarmy View Post
Thanks, Scott.

I do use PyTivo on my Mac. I have been searching the forums and they keep referring to "pushing" and "pulling" and I have no idea what they are talking about nor can I find an answer. I tried to register so I can post but I'm locked out for some &%$# reason.
Do you know what this push & pull stuff is all about?
Thanks.
Pushing and pulling are referring to transfers done on one side.
IE: Push = initiating transfer of videos to the Tivo from the computer side (upload)
Pull = initiating transfer of video to the Tivo from the Tivo side (download)

When you are transferring video from the Tivo to the PC, that is a pull.

OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:32 AM   #5
HerronScott

Quote:
Thanks.
Do you have a Windows emulator with your Mac as I believe MetaGenerator is a Windows-only executable?

Scott

Old 02-02-2015, 10:28 AM   #6
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Videos that TiVo record have "metadata" included on the info screen such as description, actors, year made, etc.
Does anybody know how to add this metadata to movies transferred from my computer.
Usually, the info screen only has the title.
Thanks
You need to create a metadata file to go along with your video file. Basically, if you have a file named MyMovie.mp4 you would add a file called MyMovie.mp4.txt to the same folder and pyTivo will use the info in that file.

Much more info here: http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Metadata

Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:22 AM   #7
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Do you have a Windows emulator with your Mac as I believe MetaGenerator is a Windows-only executable?

Scott
Not sure why you assumed the OP is using a Mac, but yes MetaGenerator is a Windows-only program (link in signature). I can't remember if anyone has tried running it using Parallels.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:43 AM   #8
HerronScott

Quote:
Thanks, Scott.

I do use PyTivo on my Mac.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Not sure why you assumed the OP is using a Mac, but yes MetaGenerator is a Windows-only program (link in signature). I can't remember if anyone has tried running it using Parallels.
He said he was using PyTiVo on his Mac in the post above. No assumption.

Scott

Old 02-04-2015, 11:47 AM   #9
androidarmy

Quote:
Push = initiating transfer of videos to the Tivo from the computer side (upload)
Pull = initiating transfer of video to the Tivo from the Tivo side (download)
Thanks to all.
Yes, I do use a Mac.

Okay, so until now I have been using the app interface (attached), adding videos there; the folders appear as blue icons at the bottom of my NPL. I open those and the videos are listed and I have the opportunity to select "Transfer this recording." This is, as I understand it, a PULL. Recently, thanks to an app called MovieMetaX, which generates the metadata, I have been able to add MD to the videos.

However, the individual shows, even though the seriesId is the same for all, are not being grouped into folders.

After finally logging into the pyTivo forum (necessary, I found, to view the documentation), I discovered that the shows will be grouped for PUSHES, not PULLS, even if the TiVo has not 'seen' that seriesId before.

So, I then learned that there is a way to use pyTivo via a web interface to PUSH videos to the TiVo. I followed the instructions and was able to add files via the web interface, the only result being that ...the folders appear as blue icons at the bottom of my NPL. Is there more to it than that?

Here's the rub... I'm still not sure what the difference is between a PUSH and a PULL.

It seems that the way I had been doing it all along is BOTH, or EITHER, because when I add the videos to the Mac app interface I am "initiating transfer of videos to the Tivo from the computer side (upload)." When I select "Transfer this recording" from the TiVo, I am "initiating transfer of video to the Tivo from the Tivo side (download)."

Could someone help to clarify this? I know I might seem dumb, but I assure you my IQ IS in the double-digits!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot.jpg (50.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 02-04-2015, 01:23 PM   #10
jrtroo
User

What is there not to get?

Its based on an analogy of real life. If you pull something you are bringing it to you, in this case you are using the tivo to pulling a show from a computer. In a push, you are moving something away from you, so you are pushing a show from the computer to the tivo. Its where you are when getting the content to the tivo.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:41 PM   #11
androidarmy

I love these trite posts!
Thanks, jrtroo, but can someone who actually READ my post please respond!