TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #1
A2JetGuy

TiVo HD internal battery?

While up-grading the hard drive in my TiVo HD, I noticed a wafer battery on the mother board near the cable card slots. (Picture attached below)

What does it power?
Should it ever require replacement?
This battery is original to this TiVo; wouldn't it be dead already?

As it stands, my HD is running great so I have no intention of messing with it, but I'd sure like to know what it's for.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (42.8 KB, 34 views)
A2JetGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #2
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2JetGuy View Post
While up-grading the hard drive in my TiVo HD, I noticed a wafer battery on the mother board near the cable card slots. (Picture attached below)

What does it power?
Should it ever require replacement?
This battery is original to this TiVo; wouldn't it be dead already?

As it stands, my HD is running great so I have no intention of messing with it, but I'd sure like to know what it's for.

Thanks!
Just based off what PC's use similar batteries for I'd guess that it powers the motherboard's real time clock when the TiVo is unplugged.

Those little batteries can last for ages, but even if it failed it's probably not a big deal. The TiVo should be able to pull the correct time from the network not long after being powered up again.

If I'm right the only time that battery being dead could bite you is if the TiVo lost power, turned back on, but your network wasn't working. Then it presumably wouldn't know what time it was and couldn't record shows (even if your cable or antenna was providing signal)
Old 09-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
timhbtr53

Jonathan_S Yes your right it's just for the real time clock. It's not a bad idea to change it about every 3-5 years it's number is CR2032 the same type used in computers.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #4
A2JetGuy

Thanks, both of you...

That's very helpful!
Knowing that my HD's battery is likely dead, I now have a heads up to the potential recording/timing problem should I unplug or lose power.

I won't make a specific trip back inside to change that battery, but when the next opportunity presents itself, it sounds like a pretty good idea to put a new one in.

Thank you, again!
Old 09-15-2014, 10:49 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2JetGuy View Post
Thanks, both of you...

That's very helpful!
Knowing that my HD's battery is likely dead, I now have a heads up to the potential recording/timing problem should I unplug or lose power.

I won't make a specific trip back inside to change that battery, but when the next opportunity presents itself, it sounds like a pretty good idea to put a new one in.

Thank you, again!
You may very well have a PC or more around the house that use the same battery (2032), so it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to have a couple of them on hand in advance.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:32 AM   #6
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

It would be a good idea to replace it, as it could start corroding and could make a big mess.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #7
A2JetGuy

Great point, ReplayTV...
That's reason enough for me to open it up and replace that battery.

Thanks, also, Unitron...
Since I already have a few CR2032 batteries, I'll take care of this tomorrow.

It almost sounds like No Battery is better than an Old Battery.

Thank you, everyone!
Old 09-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
squint

A lithium coin cell leaking would be pretty rare. The main culprit is alkaline batteries.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:34 PM   #9
waynomo
My One Time

Do all or most TiVos have a battery?

ETA: I just checked my Series 1 Sony-2000 which happened to be open as I've been playing with it. It also has a battery, but it is placed in such a way that you can't change it without removing the motherboard.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #10
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
A lithium coin cell leaking would be pretty rare. The main culprit is alkaline batteries.
I did pull some leaking batteries out of a Tivo remote, but of course they were alkaline, and in fact, I have never had a lithium battery leak on me. Although looking around the web, it has taken place sometimes.

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=1193923
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #11
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

I have never, once, had a lithium button cell battery leak. I have, however, found that some computer mainboards won't even attempt to boot (or even power-on), if the battery is completely dead, or close enough to it.

Now, if I shift over to the specialized ones that are the same button cell, with prongs welded to the battery casing, that are then soldered to the board, those I have seen leak.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #12
timhbtr53

I have seen lithium batteries leak before, of course they were junk to begin with you know the brand "hangu" lol. Talk about a mess to cleanup. YUCK....