TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-26-2014, 12:18 AM   #1
JennJ99738

Tivo Problem or Cable Problem?

I posted this on tivo.com because I completely forgot about this site. It's been years since I had any real problems but that appears to have changed.

Within the last week, I have been having problems with cable channels on one of my Series 3 DVRs. I will tune to a cable channel and within 5-10 minutes, the signal drops out and the screen goes blank. My other TV with same type of DVR and cable card has no problems. I can watch network channels, CBS, NBC, no problem. I called Cox and they tried to reset the cable card but nothing happened. She said that the card was not receiving any signal and needed to change out the card. I did that today and called and had it authorized. Still the same problem but now there is no picture at all on the cable channels. I restarted the TiVo and tried to get through Guided Setup but it stopped responding during the last stage of trying to contact and download information from TiVo. I had to unplug the DVR, plug it back in, it got stuck on "Almost there. Just a few minutes more..." It is now back to the Getting Setup Info screen again.

I have an Sata drive attached to this Tivo box but that should not matter, right? There is also a tuning adapter.

Sounds like the TiVo box? Ugh, all my lost recordings if this is true.
JennJ99738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 01:51 AM   #2
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennJ99738 View Post
I posted this on tivo.com because I completely forgot about this site. It's been years since I had any real problems but that appears to have changed.

Within the last week, I have been having problems with cable channels on one of my Series 3 DVRs. I will tune to a cable channel and within 5-10 minutes, the signal drops out and the screen goes blank. My other TV with same type of DVR and cable card has no problems. I can watch network channels, CBS, NBC, no problem. I called Cox and they tried to reset the cable card but nothing happened. She said that the card was not receiving any signal and needed to change out the card. I did that today and called and had it authorized. Still the same problem but now there is no picture at all on the cable channels. I restarted the TiVo and tried to get through Guided Setup but it stopped responding during the last stage of trying to contact and download information from TiVo. I had to unplug the DVR, plug it back in, it got stuck on "Almost there. Just a few minutes more..." It is now back to the Getting Setup Info screen again.

I have an Sata drive attached to this Tivo box but that should not matter, right? There is also a tuning adapter.

Sounds like the TiVo box? Ugh, all my lost recordings if this is true.
I'd disconnect the wires on your good Tivo and bad Tivo (leave cables connect to Tv, power etc) and move bad Tivo to where good Tivo is and connect it up using the good Tivo's wires. Or vice versa.

If bad Tivo works in good Tivo room then you know there is a problem with the cable run that ends in the bad Tivo room.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:35 PM   #3
JennJ99738

I did finally get it through the setup so I'm back to where I started, getting network channels but no cable stations. Cox is coming out tomorrow and I have zero faith they will know anything.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:10 PM   #4
Teeps

Could be a failing power supply.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=473394
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
JennJ99738

Thanks. Incredibly Cox did come out this morning with a tech who did know something about cable cards (wonders never cease!) and got the card working. Apparently there was an update sent to the cards and the first card did not update properly. Then, whomever answered my call did not know how to set up the new card properly. It got fixed. Thankfully, not a TiVo problem. Unfortunately, this also means no new Roamio for me!