TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-20-2015, 03:49 PM   #1
crobey

Solid Orange Light - No bootup

Time to start troubleshooting my spare S3. A little background, it looks like a surge from a nearby lightning strike may have fried all my Ethernet connections on all my wired devices in my house (Modem, router, AP, switch, computer, ect..) My Roamio ethernet port was fried but still works using the built in wireless.

I can hear the hard drive spin up on my OLED S3, however that is about it.
No time or tivo emblem. Pressing the format button does not seem to work (tried analog and hdmi video connections). The fan does spin after some heat builds up from being plugged in. Pressing many of the buttons on the front does have the red or blue light momentarily illuminate. The ethernet orange light does light up but when plugged into a working cable never shows a link connection. Something must be flowing out the HDMI cable because the tv recognizes when it is plugged into but just says no signal.

crobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:46 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by crobey View Post
Time to start troubleshooting my spare S3. A little background, it looks like a surge from a nearby lightning strike may have fried all my Ethernet connections on all my wired devices in my house (Modem, router, AP, switch, computer, ect..) My Roamio ethernet port was fried but still works using the built in wireless.

I can hear the hard drive spin up on my OLED S3, however that is about it.
No time or tivo emblem. Pressing the format button does not seem to work (tried analog and hdmi video connections). The fan does spin after some heat builds up from being plugged in. Pressing many of the buttons on the front does have the red or blue light momentarily illuminate. The ethernet orange light does light up but when plugged into a working cable never shows a link connection. Something must be flowing out the HDMI cable because the tv recognizes when it is plugged into but just says no signal.
Checking the output of the component and composite video jacks may give more clues, but with a Series 2 or 3 one should almost always suspect the power supply first, 'cause if it's going bad it can cause all sorts of strange symptoms.

Got a voltmeter by any chance?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
timhbtr53
Grumpy Old Man

unitron is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Checking the output of the component and composite video jacks may give more clues, but with a Series 2 or 3 one should almost always suspect the power supply first, 'cause if it's going bad it can cause all sorts of strange symptoms.

Got a voltmeter by any chance?
____________________________________________________________ _

It's time for a recap on the power supply. The caps have cancer a know list of caps with problems. Can you use a soldering pin? It's not hard and if you can please post what model S3 you have and I can post a cart from Mouser.com with the caps you will need.

timhbtr53 is offline   Reply With Quote