TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-04-2007, 09:00 AM   #2581
sfhub

It's nice they sent a message. Would have been nice if they sent a message earlier.

People started having problems over 2 weeks ago. So many complaints they had to roll back the CPMS.

See this thread for more details:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=348547
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:34 AM   #2582
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
It's nice they sent a message. Would have been nice if they sent a message earlier.

People started having problems over 2 weeks ago. So many complaints they had to roll back the CPMS.

Yah - it would have been nice to get this out earlier. But, my guess is that Tivo was just as surprised as their customers, and didn't know Comcast's plans 2 weeks ago. It's only after things got messed up that they wanted to try and help make the second go-round better.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:36 AM   #2583
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyvine420
(select #1 first, cablecard 2 should be the same anyways though)
No - cablecard 2 is completely independent. They need to have both of them properly paired to allow both tuners to work.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:23 AM   #2584
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderigo
Yah - it would have been nice to get this out earlier. But, my guess is that Tivo was just as surprised as their customers, and didn't know Comcast's plans 2 weeks ago. It's only after things got messed up that they wanted to try and help make the second go-round better.
But the point of the comment that that this copy protection was enabled by Comcast several weeks ago (around 4/19), it broke a bunch of cablecard users whose cards were not properly paired (including mine, since fixed with a truck roll), and they turned off the copy protection after a few days (around 4/24). And NOW we get the heads-up from TiVo
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:04 AM   #2585
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH
But the point of the comment that that this copy protection was enabled by Comcast several weeks ago (around 4/19), it broke a bunch of cablecard users whose cards were not properly paired (including mine, since fixed with a truck roll), and they turned off the copy protection after a few days (around 4/24). And NOW we get the heads-up from TiVo
Not arguing that it would have been nice to get a message before 4/19. I'm just not blaming tivo for this, as I doubt Comcast contacted them in advance, and so tivo is still reacting to the situation and telling you this is a comcast screw-up, not a tivo screw-up.

Since they turned it off on 4/24, Tivo probably thinks there are still customers that haven't had the problem fixed. How many customers on 4/24 said "Hey, the problem's fixed," not realizing they didn't actually fix the root cause? Better late, then never to help when Comcast flips the switch again.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:11 AM   #2586
ivyvine420

Quote:
No - cablecard 2 is completely independent. They need to have both of them properly paired to allow both tuners to work.

What I meant was that if your first wasn't set up correctly, most likely your second wouldn't be either... That was only in regards to seeing if you needed to call Comcast at all...

But I understand that some people might have been confused by that wording, it's a confusing situation in total...

And as for your other comment below mine, it's true... I had no idea that they had already turned on and *then* off again the CPMS, and I had heard from no one (not Comcast that's for sure) about this extra bit of validation for it to be properly paired. If it wasn't for Tivo's message, I wouldn't have known or understood it all and what it meant in terms of my ability to receive and record certain channels. I am going to eat breaksfast first, then get on the phone to Comcast and get my cablecards both paired *the correct way* this time...
ivyvine420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:16 AM   #2587
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyvine420
What I meant was that if your first wasn't set up correctly, most likely your second wouldn't be either... That was only in regards to seeing if you needed to call Comcast at all...
Ok - I see what you're saying. But, I wouldn't go with the opposite. If one card is correct, the other card could still be messed up. They have two independent chances to mess it up.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:10 PM   #2588
CharlesH

Quote:
Ok - I see what you're saying. But, I wouldn't go with the opposite. If one card is correct, the other card could still be messed up. They have two independent chances to mess it up.
That was the my case: card 1 was paired fine, card 2 wasn't. They tried a few things online, and then came out and swapped card 2, and quickly got it properly paired. (And didn't break card 1 in the process!)
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:22 AM   #2589
subat0mic

Question

sf bay area.
a few weeks ago noticed once in a while my cable card screen would come up. so i'd hit clear and go on watching what i was watching.

today, i noticed i had a message from tivo (no idea how long that's been in my inbox). about some new copy protection thing from comcast, and to check my cards.

my cards are improperly paired (Host Validation: unknown). of course.
so will be calling them soon.

so is this getting fixed for anyone? or will comcast just mess up my box like they did the 3 times they tried to install?

frankly i didn't even notice any interruption of channels, i must not watch any of the premium ones (hbo or stars). this was all a surprise to me today when i got the message about this. the cards _seem_ to work fine. (i better go check hbo and stars i guess).

what to do? call them? or avoid it?

If I call them, what do I tell them so they get it right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by subat0mic : 05-05-2007 at 03:27 AM.
subat0mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:29 AM   #2590
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by subat0mic
frankly i didn't even notice any interruption of channels, i must not watch any of the premium ones (hbo or stars).
Why are you paying for these channels if you don't watch them?
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:44 AM   #2591
andyh

Comcast says CableCards not supported????

i'm not sure if comcast is feeding me disinformation, but hopefully someone can help me. I have a series 3 tivo, and live in chicago. the building i live in provides basic cable, through comcast, as part of the rent. i also use an over the air antenna to get HD channels. recently the building indicated that the basic channels would be scrambled, and i would need a set top box. i talked to the comcast sales person, and ordered two cablecards instead. the comcast tech showed up today and said that cablecards don't work in my building, and that i HAVE to have a set top box.

i just called comcast and they say that my building is "not wired" for cablecards. the tech said the same thing, and said that "our DVRs and in-demand won't work in this building." does this sound like a legitimate explanation? if so, isn't this a violation of the telecom law that mandates cablecard compliance?

so now i have a series 3 tivo that i can't use for anything but over the air HD reception, which sucks. any help is appreciated.

Last edited by andyh : 05-05-2007 at 11:48 AM. Reason: typos, etc.
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:14 PM   #2592
sfhub

in-demand won't work with S3, but that is because it is a UDCP (1-way design) device so S3 cannot make requests for in-demand material.

However, I do not understand how they can say Comcast's STB works but CableCARD in your S3 won't. That doesn't make sense. If the Comcast STB can work, then that means the stream is reaching the STB. If it is reaching the STB, then your CableCARD-equipped S3 can decrypt the same stream.

I guess if your building is implementing both all-digital *and* SDV then there is a possibility your S3 won't work even with CableCARD, but I doubt that is what Comcast is doing in your area.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:31 PM   #2593
subat0mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
Why are you paying for these channels if you don't watch them?
haha. i think they're free when i signed up. for a year. and, i do watch them, sometimes, when tivo decides to pull a movie from them.
just not in the last 2 weeks...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
subat0mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:11 PM   #2594
andyh

Quote:
in-demand won't work with S3, but that is because it is a UDCP (1-way design) device so S3 cannot make requests for in-demand material.

However, I do not understand how they can say Comcast's STB works but CableCARD in your S3 won't. That doesn't make sense. If the Comcast STB can work, then that means the stream is reaching the STB. If it is reaching the STB, then your CableCARD-equipped S3 can decrypt the same stream.

I guess if your building is implementing both all-digital *and* SDV then there is a possibility your S3 won't work even with CableCARD, but I doubt that is what Comcast is doing in your area.
yeah, i understand why in-demand won't work with my S3, but i am at a complete loss as to why they won't intall a CableCARD. any ideas on to what i need to do to escalate the issue within Comcast? i've already talked to multiple phone reps, most of whom are clueless....

Old 05-05-2007, 01:38 PM   #2595
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh
i just called comcast and they say that my building is "not wired" for cablecards.
This would be possible if they only feed analog to your building.

You could tell by doing a cable channel scan. If it does not find any digital channels, they're telling the truth. If it finds any digital channels, they may be lying. If you do find digital channels, and you can't see the picture, they are lying.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:02 PM   #2596
andyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
This would be possible if they only feed analog to your building.

You could tell by doing a cable channel scan. If it does not find any digital channels, they're telling the truth. If it finds any digital channels, they may be lying. If you do find digital channels, and you can't see the picture, they are lying.
checking signal strength for cable channels, there are plenty of digital cable channels coming in at 97 strength, where i don't see a picture, so i guess that means comcast is lying/mistaken. now the only question is what to do about it...

Last edited by andyh : 05-05-2007 at 02:24 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-05-2007, 05:15 PM   #2597
DanInMd

Arrow Warehouse!!!!

I decided to bite the bullet and go with the Series 3 last Monday, the last day of the recent offer. Got the box on Thursday, set it up and proceeded to call Comcast to order the two cable cards (more to that later). Got someone that knew about them and said they could deliver them Saturday.

Guy shows up within the time frame alloted, and proceeds to install the cards. Everything going great - took him ten minutes. He said that the last thing he had to do was contact Comcast to activate the cards and went to his truck to call in the info. After about ten minutes he returned to give me the news!

Apparently, someone at the warehouse did not log in the cable cards, so her had to remove them and return them to the warehouse. In his words, "I knew this was going too easy!!". They'll be back Monday morning, hopefully with cards that work, to reinstall the cards. One irony to this is that I live 2 minutes from the warehouse - but it's closed on Saturday and Sunday.

Why did they have to take them back? Although they were working, they time out in about 2-3 hours. They could not be activated without being inventoried at the warehouse!

Fortunately I have an outside antenna - the Derby looks fantastic OTA!

DanInMd
DanInMd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #2598
cptodd
Just Me!

Cable free and lovin' it! Well except for CBS which looks like poop here in chicago! Comcast just pissed me off something awful and I decided to get rid of cable and do over the air stuff given the fact that most of my TV is OTA anyhow. I will miss some things like. . . not sure. . . OH YEA, Naruto and Bleach but c'est la vie!
cptodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:20 PM   #2599
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

See this thread for more details:
I had the impression that the warning was to tell me that they are turning it BACK on after the disconnect. So basically a heads up that if you didn't get your cards paired correctly, get ready for the same problems you had before they turned copy protection OFF. I just had time to get my cards setup properly so now I'm ready.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:35 PM   #2600
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb
I had the impression that the warning was to tell me that they are turning it BACK on after the disconnect. So basically a heads up that if you didn't get your cards paired correctly, get ready for the same problems you had before they turned copy protection OFF. I just had time to get my cards setup properly so now I'm ready.
Yup, we all understand that.

Not blaming TiVo for lack of earlier message, but it would have been nice if the message had come before the first (and every) time they (meaning Comcast) tried this.

Last edited by sfhub : 05-06-2007 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #2601
audiowizard

I was on the phone with Comcast for an hour, attempting to get my CableCARD's to work in the Series3 Tivo. Initially we kept getting a error code 161-1 and 161-4 over and over again. Then we just got 'CableCARD 1 is not in normal operation', and 'CableCARD 2 is not in normal operation'.

We gave up and they are sending a technician, and STRONGLY recommending I get in contact with Tivo over this matter because Tivo's software isn't allowing them to see what's going on.

I just rebooted Tivo and it's back to the error code messages.....

...sigh, this hasn't been fun.
audiowizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:06 PM   #2602
audiowizard

Got a comcast technician here, he's stumped and doesn't seem to have any info on how to deal with this at the office either.

After inserting a cableCARD with the CableCARD Error 161-4 or 161-1 pops up repeatedly, or the CableCARD Menu says 'CableCARD not in normal operation'.

No one at comcast seems to know what the problem is...

on another note: How about a sub category for comcast pricing, etc, and one for actual CableCARD install errors. Navigating through this thread is nearly impossible, as it's huge.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:17 PM   #2603
audiowizard

Technician tried a different CableCARD and we were both surprised when the MMI screen finally popped up. He's taking the info at the moment.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:59 PM   #2604
audiowizard

Out of 4 CableCARDs the technician was able to get one cableCARD to work in Slot 1.

No luck on Slot 2. He's considering having another technician come out later this week. He located another comcast technician with 2 CableCARDS in the area, and is meeting up with him to try those cards.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:00 AM   #2605
audiowizard

Out of 6 CableCARDS 2 of them worked. I now have two functioning CableCARDS in the Series3 Tivo, receiving HD Cable. The technician has no idea why this happened, apparently the others aren't broken. They are Motorola CableCARDS.

My recommendation, is make sure your installer brings at least 10 CableCARDS.

For clarification my problem was that upon inserting the CableCARDS, the MMI screen would NOT appear, therefor Comcast could NOT get the Host ID. Instead the CableCARD error message would repeatedly appear, clicking OK would result in the error message reappearing after about 6 seconds. For whatever reason, only 2 Motorola cableCARDS out of 6 would initiate the MMI screen.

While the process of upgrading to the Series 3, and getting it to receive HD Cable was like finding something in a dark cave while blindfolded, now that it works... WOW!!. Simultaneously recording two shows is very nice, and HD is incredible.

Last edited by audiowizard : 05-07-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:19 AM   #2606
Corran Horn

For CableCards not working, I might suggest this, which I was guilty of during my install.

Once inserted, I had expected a card's info to come up right away on the menus. I can think of at least 4 cards we deemed 'damaged' when this did not happen during my install. After the installer left, I called Comcast and a knowledgeable CSR helped me. While I was putting them in and taking them out I noticed that sometimes it takes a little bit of time to populate the info. I'm guessing a lot of those 'broken' cards were fine.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #2607
audiowizard

Yeah but not in my case Corran Horn.

4 out of 6 Cable cards would NOT initiate the MMI screen, even given 20min to load/populate the info.

2 out of 6 did initiate the MMI screen, and only took approx. 2-5min to load.

But thanks, it is important to note that the MMI screen doesn't popup immediately. It can require bypassing ONE error message, and waiting up to 5-10 minutes.

It was Comcast's positions (technician, phone rep, and retail employee) that the other 4 cableCARD's were not broken.

Last edited by audiowizard : 05-09-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:48 AM   #2608
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiowizard
The technician has no idea why this happened, apparently the others aren't broken.
How do you know that the other four cards weren't broken?
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:41 AM   #2609
ZildjianKX

Just got my cable cards installed the other day. First card worked great, took two cards to get the 2nd one working.

Very weird thing though, one of the two cards gets full digital cable and it's not suppose to...
ZildjianKX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:35 PM   #2610
santanaf

Got my 2 cableCards on Sat... Long story...

Alexandria, VA

Thursday 4/26, called Comcast was told to come into Cust Serv. to pick up the 2 CableCards.

Took afternoon off of work on 5/2 to pick them up, drove over in heavy traffic to learn that I actually had to make an install appt. I told the lady on the phone previously. Angrily I called cust serv from teh cust service store and was given some service credit and made an appt for 9-11am on 5/5.

On 5/5 at 11:15am I called to see where the installer was. To my surprise someone had changed by appt to 11-1 window, didn't bother telling me. So I sat around.

On 5/5 at 1:15pm I called to see where the installer was. Was told he would be calling me in 10-15 minutes to let me know a status.

On 5/5 at 2:00pm I called to see why no installer had called, was told that head of dispatch would be calling me in 5-10 minutes... "Sorry for the delay"

On 5/5 at 2:20pm, the installer called and apologized for being late, then asked my wife what a "CableCard" is and what it does.

On 5/5 at 2:30pm, the installer arrived and didn't know what to do. I ended up doing the entire install myself, including telling him what numbers to give the dispatch to enable the card. At one point he even said "Woah, it works, what'd you do?"

Then I realized that CableCard2 is fully functional with all digital channels and HBO and CableCard1 doesn't get Premium content channels. So Sopranos recorded last night as a grey screen #$%#$#@!!!!

So I call Cust Serv. today, they told me to unplug and then plug in the CableCard1 again, then wait an hour. I hope it fixes it, but I am not holding my breath. She offered to have a tech come out, that didn't sound too great.
santanaf is offline   Reply With Quote