TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-23-2007, 06:46 PM   #2551
acexperts

Cable Card 2 Not Working...
I Ordered A New Tivo, It Will Be Here Wed. I'll Be Sure To Post My Results.

I'm In South Florida, West Palm Beach Area. Comcast Uses Scientific Atlanta Here. I'm Getting Nowhere With Comcast Or Tivo Tech Support. Comcast Says They Have A Computer Error Host Id Already In Use And Can't Solve It. Tivo Says There May Be A Software Issue And They Will Refer It To Their Engineering Dept, But Can't Tell Me If It Will Be A Week, Month, Or A Year!!!
acexperts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:26 PM   #2552
mrey

East Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinlock
Went home at luchtime and checked, surprise, surpirse, it still didnt work!

Called in again and was told my CC#s, Host#s, Data#s didnt match what was in their system.

I was assured that as soon as that peron's supervisor got out of a meeting that the problem would be resolved.

BOY!, do I feel better now, back at work, can't wait to go home and try it.........
I'm going through the same stuff Spinlock.

First Comcast sends over 2 technicians and they end up replacing some cable wire and a splitter. Cablecard 1 works fine and cablecard 2 doesn't get premium channels...they forgot to check both cards before leaving.

Then today, Comcast sends over a technician who doesn't know a thing about cablecards and all i find out is that all of those #'s don't match. He just ends up leaving after swapping cablecard 2 and not even activating the new card (complaining the entire time that he should have never been sent in the first place)...now I'm stuck with only one working cablecard and waiting for a call to schedule yet another technician visit.

2 days of waiting for technicians and not getting anything done is freakin' frustrating!

Spinlock - did you contact any specific department when trying to complete the installation? I'd like to know if I can just call in and activate the card myself and not wait for another technician to fail to finish the job.---appreciate it.

Looking forward to see how you get your problem resolved!
mrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:16 PM   #2553
ToyRunner

I am in Tacoma, WA and I went to the Comcast store and there was no charge at all for anything...no monthly nothing.
ToyRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:40 AM   #2554
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyRunner
I am in Tacoma, WA and I went to the Comcast store and there was no charge at all for anything...no monthly nothing.
What level of programming do you have? Basic, Extended Basic, Digital? Do you have any premium stations like HBO?
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:11 PM   #2555
spinlock

I call 800-COMCAST like everyone else, but I:
1) refuse to go over the problem with whoever answers the phone, I now insist on speaking directly to a supervisor(I have few names now
2) won't let them schedule a new service call, already had a 2 hour call where both cards were replaced 3 times, I explain to them that the probability of 8 cards failing in the same way is astronomical and I wont go through it again.
3) Insist on supervisors name, direct phone and extension
4) finally got a supervisor that seems to really give a **** and I only deal with him now, he expalined how Motorola is involved debugging the issue.

Bottom line appears to be that Comcast and Motorola know the problem exists and engineers at Mot are trying to figure out why a subset of the cards don't work. Meanwhile, they are leaving level 1 and level 2 support hanging in the wind, just trying stuff until some combination of acrds/signals sent works.

BTW, I think the failing subset is relatively small, I have heard from multiple sources "around a 1000" are failing. Never quite got if that was 1000 cards or 1000 customers and don't know if that was a 1000 after or before the inital re-pairing got cards back online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrey
I'm going through the same stuff Spinlock.

First Comcast sends over 2 technicians and they end up replacing some cable wire and a splitter. Cablecard 1 works fine and cablecard 2 doesn't get premium channels...they forgot to check both cards before leaving.

Then today, Comcast sends over a technician who doesn't know a thing about cablecards and all i find out is that all of those #'s don't match. He just ends up leaving after swapping cablecard 2 and not even activating the new card (complaining the entire time that he should have never been sent in the first place)...now I'm stuck with only one working cablecard and waiting for a call to schedule yet another technician visit.

2 days of waiting for technicians and not getting anything done is freakin' frustrating!

Spinlock - did you contact any specific department when trying to complete the installation? I'd like to know if I can just call in and activate the card myself and not wait for another technician to fail to finish the job.---appreciate it.

Looking forward to see how you get your problem resolved!

spinlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:15 PM   #2556
Lawfam

Comcast/Series 3 issues

I guess I'm one of the unlucky 1000 in the SF Bay area. My cablecards no longer receive premium channels on std or HD. I'm really mad, because I love the Sopranos, and missed Sunday's installment.

Someone is supposed to come by today to fix it. Of course, the first guy they sent to install the cards originally left without installing them, and I did it myself. That was a few months ago. I got them to deduct for the service call (no duh) and a bit of a refund for some of the channels I wasn't receiving while the system was down. It's been spectacular until Sunday afternoon, when I couldn't receive HBO.

Crossing my fingers...
Lawfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:26 PM   #2557
sleepeeg3

I just got off the phone with Comcast... Get this - now they are charging $1.50 x 2 for two cable cards! Oh and I asked the guy if there were going to be any additional fees and he says, "Well normally there would be an $18 installation fee, but I am going to waive that." They are even supposed to be coming out tomorrow.

LOL! $3/month? Oh hell yes!!!

It just goes to show how @#$ed up Comcast is and that it pays to play the rep lottery.

I am setting this up for my parents and my clueless mother called previously and they quoted her $11.95 - maybe that was the problem.
sleepeeg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:30 PM   #2558
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawfam
I guess I'm one of the unlucky 1000 in the SF Bay area. My cablecards no longer receive premium channels on std or HD. I'm really mad, because I love the Sopranos, and missed Sunday's installment.

Someone is supposed to come by today to fix it. Of course, the first guy they sent to install the cards originally left without installing them, and I did it myself. That was a few months ago. I got them to deduct for the service call (no duh) and a bit of a refund for some of the channels I wasn't receiving while the system was down. It's been spectacular until Sunday afternoon, when I couldn't receive HBO.

Crossing my fingers...
Take a look at this post by TiVoJerry for more info about this
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:25 PM   #2559
doubleagent

In Philadelphia there are different billing areas. My guy from comcast is going to get the proper cards that go with my area then come back again. They figured it out by accident and proved it by trying to add stars to my digital box. They use different freqs for different hubs and that is why they think the cards will not display my HBO channels. But on saturday they vp'd my account and everything was coming through until they un vp'd my account again. I hope they are right and will post later this week when they bring cards for my billing area.
doubleagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:44 PM   #2560
rcr2
It's you, not me.

I gave up on Comcast and am basically living with one Cable Card that goes out every now and then - sometimes within 24 hours, sometimes not for days. The other works fine.

I haven't even started to wrestle with the billing issues. About a month ago, they turned off my HD set-top box, though. I haven't called them on that, either.

Verizon has put in the piping to lay fiber outside my house, and now I'm just waiting for them to come and put the fiber in so I can switch services.

TiVo has contacted me about investigating what is wrong with the failing card, though, so I have to give them props for that. With the two tuners, and the local network HD channels not being affected, I've been lucky about not missing too many recordings, though I have missed my share because the card has gone Auth Failed.

I owe Comcast a follow-up letter about my experience. I did get some initial contact from them, about what they could do and so forth, but all of the help they offered was really going to be more work for me (more truck rolls, spending time with a technician). And on things they could have done for me (billing, etc) they offered no help at all.

I'm all for working with the techs who come out to the house to try and help. But for the specific problem with SA cards, there really is nothing they can do. So it just wastes everyone's time.

Hopefully TiVo has gotten to the bottom of it with the cable companies and has a solution.

Now the only problem to fix would be the cable company's refusal in providing cards in the first place.
rcr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:45 PM   #2561
JTYoung1

Well my cable cards have been working from day 1, I've been trying to get the billing issues resolved. I finally thought I had it worked out in December when they issued their price list giving a price for a 2nd cable card of $1.50. I called and they actually told me there was no charge at all for a 2nd card on a Series 3 TiVo and they took care of it, both cards work and I didn't pay any extra. A few weeks ago they needed the data off my cards so I had to call in and give them the card info so they could issue an "update"
I get my bill today and the "update" apparently was a $6.95 additional outlet charge for the 2nd cable card. I called in and they said that if they took it off my cable card would not work. I've been waiting all evening for a call back from a supercisor. .
JTYoung1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:11 AM   #2562
SMcCormack

I've had my tivo since october and until today I hadn't had a single problem. Then today I went to watch TV and noticed all of my digital channels weren't working and all I was receiving on both tuners was what amounted to basic cable.

I called comcast and was told that they have been 'fixing' cable cards and that some weren't coming back to life after the fix was done. The rep couldn't tell me what exactly they were fixing but apparently it didn't go well.

They sent hits to both cards and Card 2 came back to life but Card 1 is suck in basic cable hell and a tech is coming out on Sunday to swap it. Oh the joy of comcast!
Old 04-27-2007, 08:56 AM   #2563
themtx

Wealth of info here, thanks folks.

My story - abbreviated version:

Had 2 Comcast cards that were both working fine as of 12/06 in S3. Channel re-org happened on 4/3, worked ok but we were unable to receive AETVHD and NGCHD here in South FL. 3 service calls later, the techs finally got someone in the home office who knew how to hit each card individually, and voila! lineup correct, all is good.

Interesting thing we learned - the newest cards we installed appear to be M-cards! When we were troubleshooting cards / slots, we left just one in slot 1, and lo and behold - multituner action on one card - Live TV button would switch between 2 separate channels. I was ready to call it a day when we got just that 1 working (since we tested and it could actually record 2 hd streams simultaneously!) - but the techs persisted and got the second going in tandem.

So, my question is - does anyone know if we gain any functionality w/2 M cards installed? Can we record more than 2 streams simultaneously if both cards are M capable? I might be way off base here, and the tivo might not support it, but I was shocked that a single card did the multi-tuner thing... Also, how far off are the CC2 cards w/2way? Is it possible the M cards we have now are 2 way capable? Diag screens report "the host considers this a one-way" deal - but is it?

thanks!
themtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:39 AM   #2564
TerpBE
Go Terps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTYoung1
Well my cable cards have been working from day 1, I've been trying to get the billing issues resolved. I finally thought I had it worked out in December when they issued their price list giving a price for a 2nd cable card of $1.50. I called and they actually told me there was no charge at all for a 2nd card on a Series 3 TiVo and they took care of it, both cards work and I didn't pay any extra. A few weeks ago they needed the data off my cards so I had to call in and give them the card info so they could issue an "update"
I get my bill today and the "update" apparently was a $6.95 additional outlet charge for the 2nd cable card. I called in and they said that if they took it off my cable card would not work. I've been waiting all evening for a call back from a supercisor. .
JTYoung, I was in that loop for months, and finally found somebody who could help. See my post a couple of pages back for her contact info.
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:50 AM   #2565
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by themtx
So, my question is - does anyone know if we gain any functionality w/2 M cards installed? Can we record more than 2 streams simultaneously if both cards are M capable? I might be way off base here, and the tivo might not support it, but I was shocked that a single card did the multi-tuner thing... Also, how far off are the CC2 cards w/2way? Is it possible the M cards we have now are 2 way capable? Diag screens report "the host considers this a one-way" deal - but is it?
The Series 3 is a one-way host device; it has nothing to do with the cablecard itself. It will never be able to communicate with the head-end and will never be able to support PPV or SDV without additional hardware and a separate communication path to the head-end, and there's no indication any such add-on is or will be in the works, ever, and any such add-on would require support by both TiVo and the cable company it's connected to.

More likely, you'll see a new version of the Series 3 introduced that has 2-way host device capability.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:04 AM   #2566
Roderigo

Quote:
Interesting thing we learned - the newest cards we installed appear to be M-cards! When we were troubleshooting cards / slots, we left just one in slot 1, and lo and behold - multituner action on one card - Live TV button would switch between 2 separate channels. I was ready to call it a day when we got just that 1 working (since we tested and it could actually record 2 hd streams simultaneously!) - but the techs persisted and got the second going in tandem.
MCards fall back to S-Mode in an S3. So, most likely you were watching at least one unencrypted channel, and not actually seeing the card decrypt two channels at the same time. The real test is to tune to some premium channel (that you know is encrypted, though most SD digital is also encrypted), and see if you can have two different channels at the same time with only one card.

Quote:
So, my question is - does anyone know if we gain any functionality w/2 M cards installed? Can we record more than 2 streams simultaneously if both cards are M capable?
For now, you still need two cards, regardless of them being SCards or MCards. Who knows when/if tivo will release MCard (running in M-Mode) support for the S3. The number of recordings you can do at the same time is also limited by another scarce resource - the number of actual tuners. MCards can process more than two streams at the same time, but the host has to have tuners to get the data to feed the card.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #2567
sfhub

I wonder if anyone has tested the combination of M-card with the new 8.3.1 TiVo OS, either wittingly or unwittingly?

Previous initial reports indicated some people had problems getting M-cards to work at all in S3 (but that could have been general CableCARD issues unrelated to M-card)

Is the 2nd tuner active when you only have one S-card? That would be the implication if the 2nd tuner was active with one M-card working in S-card mode.

If so then the subclass of folks who only care about HD locals can get away with just 1 single CableCARD, S-card or M-card because nothing they are watching is encrypted. Might save them some CableCARD config hassles.

These folks could also get away with 0 CableCARDs if Comcast would use their PSIP to map the channel #s to match their own system (vs propogating the OTA PSIP channel #s)
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #2568
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
Is the 2nd tuner active when you only have one S-card?
After you set up the TiVo with two cards, you can pull one out.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:47 PM   #2569
doubleagent

Did the error 161-4 go away after update 8.1?
doubleagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:33 PM   #2570
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
After you set up the TiVo with two cards, you can pull one out.
Meaning only 2 CableCARDs are needed for initial setup, or that I should try that and see if it works? I think you are probably saying the former, but I wasn't sure.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 05:00 PM   #2571
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
I think you are probably saying the former
yes
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 12:06 PM   #2572
ChickenCheese
with BBQ sauce

I figured I would chime in on how my cablecard install went this morning. The tech shows up and tells me that this is the first time that he's done a cablecard install. In fact, he's never heard of a Series 3.

Uh oh. Now I'm thinking it's gonna be a long day. But not too worry, he says, we'll get it working. Long story short, it only took about 1/2 hour! He was able to call his supervisor who connected him to someone else who's done these before. With me working the remote and him on the phone calling in the numbers, it worked out great.

He was a really nice guy and thanked me for helping him out. I seemed to know WAY more then him about cablecards and the S3! I'm glad someone else mentioned about giving the cards some time to get working. I thought for sure we had a couple dead cards when they wouldn't "work" right away. But the first two were good.

I'm very happy S3 owner right now
Old 04-29-2007, 12:33 PM   #2573
ToyRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1
What level of programming do you have? Basic, Extended Basic, Digital? Do you have any premium stations like HBO?
I only have basic plus digital...no premium stations.
ToyRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:09 PM   #2574
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyRunner
I only have basic plus digital...no premium stations.
I think that they charge the A/O for premium stations. I have not been charged anything (yet) for either cableCARD, but I have been charged for one A/O of $2.75 and that is with HBO and SHO. When I also had an STB, I was charged for TWO A/O's at $2.75/mo each. No extra charge for the cableCARDs.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:59 PM   #2575
jstrazz
Jstrazz

Question

I'm in the Fort Lauderdale area and I have a Series 3 Tivo with two cable cards and a separate cable box. I have a Samsung TV with a cable card slot that didn't work after the first day of installation. I got nothing but pixillation and then just a black screen. After NUMEROUS visits by Comcast technicians, I was finally told that three cable cards will not work in the system...so therefore, I got a cable box to watch a third program when two other shows are recording. The cable box (with no DVR) works fine. The cable cards in the Tivo unit have not been able to receive National Geographic HD or A&E HD since the channels were added to the system. I have since made endless phone calls to Comcast about this problem, I've had them send signals to the card, I've had technicians come to the house, I've had the cards replaced...in other words, I've done everything short of re-wiring my apartment building to try to get the two new channels on my Tivo. At first, I was getting a Cable Card Message, now I just get a black screen when I tune to those channels. I have given up on this problem. If anyone knows anything about this problem and how to resolve it, please let me know so that I can tell the Cable Technicians how to solve it.

In the meantime, I have also ordered the MLB EXTRA INNINGS. I get that only on the cable box. Once again, I do not get those channels on my Tivo with the Cable Cards. Is anyone familiar with this problem? Are we not supposed to receive those channels on the cable cards?

John
jstrazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 02:15 PM   #2576
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrazz
In the meantime, I have also ordered the MLB EXTRA INNINGS. I get that only on the cable box. Once again, I do not get those channels on my Tivo with the Cable Cards. Is anyone familiar with this problem? Are we not supposed to receive those channels on the cable cards?
Sounds like this is totally a cableco issue, especially since the cableCARD in your TV is not working. But, to answer your question, if your MLB station is a regular channel that you can see on your TiVo guide (for example, mine is channel 621-630), then you can get them on your TiVo with cableCARDs. I've been getting the NHL Center Ice package on the same channels all year long. You may have to let the CSR know you want them on your cableCARDs, though.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:28 AM   #2577
jstrazz
Jstrazz

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1
Sounds like this is totally a cableco issue, especially since the cableCARD in your TV is not working. But, to answer your question, if your MLB station is a regular channel that you can see on your TiVo guide (for example, mine is channel 621-630), then you can get them on your TiVo with cableCARDs. I've been getting the NHL Center Ice package on the same channels all year long. You may have to let the CSR know you want them on your cableCARDs, though.
So this goes back to my initial problem with the CableCards. Now I have two problems to resolve with Comcast, The NATGEO/A&E problem and the MLB PACKAGE problem. All the signal sending in the world by Comcast and all the changing of the CableCards have not been able to resolve the issue. Now, I'm really worried that any more new channels that are added to the lineup will also not work in my Tivo either.

If anyone from Tivo and/or Comcast views these forums, PLEEEEEEEEZE HELP ME!
jstrazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:01 AM   #2578
AgentSmith

I just received my S3 last night, and had my CableCard install (Insight, which is really a Comcast affiliate) this morning. It went like this:

The installer inserts CableCard 1. We wait for the MMI screen, he calls in, gets it hit, everything works. I hit all my pay channels and several basic digital channels through the Guided Setup Test Channels function, eveything works great.

The installer inserts CableCard 2 and has it hit. Test. Digital channels work. Copy protected channels (HBO, SHO, etc) are all grey screen. CA screen says "MISSING_REKEY" or something similar. Office guy tries an unpair/repair, it fails, then he says "his reader probably needs a firmware update". Major fear commences on my part. I explain that it IS up to the latest S/W. He calls the tech supervisor.

Tech supervisor suggests a reboot. Yeah, right. I appease them. No joy. Finally, the tech supervisor says "hold on, let me try something else". The Cablecard completely resets, re-downloads the channel map then goes to "No Channels Available". Once the card woke up from the reinit, everything worked! The tech supervisor said he "hit it from the DAC", whatever that means. Total install time, 1 hour. I've recorded 5-6 hours of pay/non-pay/HD/SD content tonight, without a single issue.
AgentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:29 AM   #2579
sriggins

AgentSmith, my install was similar, #2 was borked, had them reset the card, then it worked.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:43 AM   #2580
ivyvine420

Exclamation New Comcast Management System in the SF Bay

Just did a manual network connection an hour ago or so, found a new "message" from Tivo which states:

Well I'm not gonna quote it, but this is basically what it says, Comcast has notified (Tivo) that in the SF Bay Area they are going to implement the Copy Protection Management System... This will affect Tivo customers with Cablecards, and this is how to tell if you need to do something about it (call Comcast) or not. If you go under the Cablecards menu (select #1 first, cablecard 2 should be the same anyways though) and to the Conditional Access item (which is #4 out of 5 on the menu list), then look at the (bottom) of the screen area for the HOST VALIDATION: this should show either Unknown or Valid. If Valid, you are fine, if not (unknown) then the cablecard is *not* totally paired up to the Comcast Copy Protection Management System which means that when the "switch" happens, any of the encrypted channels won't go through, you have to have it listed as "Valid" for things to run normally.

I have no idea if this has any relation to the random 0:00 recordings (I have even had some "error screens" where it shows the cable card screen like for the above yet the recording -when checked right after the program has finished recording- is totally fine) but I will try and get my cablecards properly paired and validated with the HOST Validation and keep an eye on an errors (and/or cable card screen pop-ups) plus 0:00 recordings.

Maybe they were having problems without using the copy protection and once switched over to the "on" side, things will stop, or maybe (but less likely) it was having problems as they were setting up the system, maybe those times we got the 0:00 recordings were when they did a quick test of the system - meaning it would block out the channel if it was an encrypted one and you didn't already have the "Host Validation" as Valid and not Unknown... Actually, the more I think about it, it all makes sense with a "Test", the blocking of the feed for that one channel only etc, but again, I may be reading more into it all (finding things that are not actually connected even though it looks like it)....

Ah well, who knows...

ivyvine420 is offline   Reply With Quote