TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-18-2007, 04:00 PM   #2521
toddc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01
As I posted earlier, I have the Comcast Digital Premier package, which means I should get virtually everything that Comcast has, except the foreign language channels. I just got it last week and everything is fine, except I do not get 226 (INHD). I have called and they have checked and pinged and updated and whatever, but still no luck. I have a tech guy coming tomorrow, but am afraid he'll just screw up what I already have. I am using two cablecards in a TIVO box, and the problem is there for both tuners. Anyone ever heard of something like this?
I thought INHD is "In Demand HD" which does not make sense for TiVo since the cable card is one-way and not two-way. You can not order in demand for TiVo.
toddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:03 PM   #2522
azitnay

No... Despite it's name, INHD is a standard HD channel.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #2523
toddc

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
No... Despite it's name, INHD is a standard HD channel.

Drew
for me INHD is In Demand HD
toddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:41 PM   #2524
mattm29
Seattle TiVo stud!

It's On Demand not In Demand.

InHD works fine on my Comcast set up. I actually just checked again to make sure it's working. Some sporting event is on right now.

I think azitnay meant it was part of the standard HD package that Comcast airs.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #2525
mdscott

Pittsburgh PA

Bear with me on this... Some place way up in the thread is my tale of attempted installation -- which resulted in all channels working EXCEPT for premium [in my case HBO & Showtime]. Inertia and other factors set in and I had not gotten around to dealing with it. Then yesterday we upgraded or Broadband (leaving a high cost DSL provider for Comcast) and I had the opportunity to work with a phone support tech on connectivity issues. Well when you are on the phone with a tech for 2.5 hours trying all sorts of system combinations and boot cycles you get a chance to talk about all sorts of ancillary matters...Tech looking at our account info: "If you get the since you already have HBO and Showtime on your cable you won't spend a lot more if you include VOIP in your package"; Me: "Hell, those channels don't work on our HiDef system I am about to just dump them..."; Tech: "Not work, let me connect you to the right support group..."

He ended up being stuck on hold for 30 minutes -- for which I chided him about learning how the rest of us live. But to my surprise about 15 minutes after I finished my Broadband call I received a call from a supervisor in the CableCard group. He tried a few things while we were on the phone and the scheduled a NEXT DAY service call.

This afternoon a tech arrived and we spent about 15 minutes looking at the data shown on the various CC screens on the S3. He then departed to return (after consultation with his supervisor I was told) in a very short while. He borrowed a phone (I thought they all had mobiles or BlackBerrys) and got connected to some Comcast headend.

First question, "You have one of those TiVo things right?" 10 minutes later and after violating all the Forum/TiVo advice about getting one card working fully before starting on the other all the premium channels were working perfectly.

I wish had names and contact numbers but I got involved in a work call at the end. What I can say is that there are some techs in Pittsburgh that understand the S3 and can get it to work. Secondly Kudos to the Comcast techs I have worked with in the past couple days -- they were willing to spend all the time necessary to resolve issues and went the extra distance to get all of stuff working right.

Michael
ps: My last bill had both CC's listed with $0.00 as the charge.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:32 PM   #2526
wdave

INHD
wdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:33 PM   #2527
jbdecker
Tivomofo

Omg!

Anyone out there in Chicago know anything about Comcast being out of cable cards? I'm coming up to a month of them claiming they are out of stock.

I've had two appointments (one scheduled by Comcast) and they showed up just to tell me they were out of stock.

Can Tivo do anything about this to help me?
jbdecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:56 AM   #2528
bicker
Gruff

CableCards actually are in short supply, in many areas, all across the country. Unfortunately, there is nothing TiVo can do to make more cards magically appear in Chicago.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:07 AM   #2529
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
CableCards actually are in short supply, in many areas, all across the country. Unfortunately, there is nothing TiVo can do to make more cards magically appear in Chicago.
It is true that the cards are in short supply in many places. Even the Moto HD boxes are in short supply here in Pittsburgh. Comcast has a franchise agreement with the municipality in every area it serves. I would suggest contacting the municipality and complaining to them abou the poor service from the monopoly that they have granted to Comcast.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:49 AM   #2530
jrm01

My problem with not getting channel 226 was solved.

Comcast came out and tested it and said that the problem was with the coding at the office. He called and they added the code, but it still wouldn't work. They "concluded" that the problem was with the cable cards in the TIVO, and that they would have to come back later with two new cablecards.

I asked him if he had a Comcast DVR in the truck, and surprisingly he did. I told him to hook it u and see if I got channel 226. He did, and I got all channels except 226 - same as with TIVO.

He called the office again and they "fixed" the coding again. This time 226 came in fine. He disconncted his box, hooked up the TIVO and everything was fine. The first person who "corrected the coding" apparently messed up.

Hard to believe that they have to uses coding at the channel level rather than have packages coded into the system.

Now if only the Penguin game were on HD tonight I could watch them in HD.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:58 AM   #2531
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderigo
And, you don't even get that... If you put a multi-stream card into a single stream host (the S3), you'll just get a single stream out of it.

just to add information.

the CURRENT software version on the S3 is s-card only.

But the hardware is M-card ready and tivo was in the first batch of testing that stared a couple months ago to get M-card uni-directional approval.

The original prototype tivo S3 was approved by cablelabs. Tivo made a change the the "b" revision that we all have was self approved (sorry I forget the official terms for approved) by tivo. Just recently the "b" revision showed up on the cablelabs approved table that cablelabs themselves have checked it. That MIGHT mean that the current b hardware was approved by cablelabs for M-card use. And if that's the case then MAYBE tivo is beta testing the software update. So perhaps M-card approved software for the B hardware we all have is on the way sometime soon.

Myself I hope so. I gets a lot easier to deal with these extra outlet fees when you can just say "fine give me ONE M-card and lets move along."
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:00 PM   #2532
ejs2000

Sharing my Comcast CC install experience

Last week I got an S3 and had Comcast come by to install CableCards and it all went super smoothly. Here's how it went:

Friday: My S3 (ordered from tivocommunity store) arrives. I call Comcast to upgrade to HD. They say a service rep will come by Saturday between 2 and 6.

Saturday: The rep actually arrives 15 minutes early. He replaces some of my coax with Comcast's official coax, and replaces my RadioShack 4-way splitter with an official Comcast 4-way splitter. He has brought 4 CableCards, but the first two work. He follows the instructions TiVo includes, so while he has done this before, he's not yet an expert. From beginning to end (including all the coax replacement) takes only an hour. He tells me this is the smoothest it has ever gone for him. The cable all seems to be working just fine.

Sunday: I realize that the S3 is only getting Basic cable, although it was supposed to get Expanded. (My S2, which is still hooked up, is still getting Expanded.) The HD channels all show up, including a couple I'm not supposed to have.

Monday: I call Comcast to tell them about the problem. The customer service rep says that according to their records, I've been Basic-only since Feb 2006, which is strange and inaccurate, but she'll send a service guy out the next day to remove the trap from the line (my presence not required). Also I decide to add HBO. Five HBO channels in SD plus one in HD are working by the time I'm off the phone.

Tuesday: When I get home from work I have all the Expanded channels I'm supposed to have, and I still have those extra HD channels.

So to summarize-- It all went really well, with only one minor glitch that was fixed immediately. So, for all of you who are hesitant to jump into CableCard Hell (like I was), there are success stories.

I'll report back when I get my bill if something goes wrong there...
ejs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:40 PM   #2533
acexperts

Cablecard 2 Not Authorized!
Card 1 Works Fine. Card 2 Doesn't Get Most Digital And Premium Channels. I've Had Comcast Out 10 Times And Card 2 Will Not Authorize. They Swapped Cards/installed New Cards Several Times. After A Month Of The Same Problem Now They Say It Is An Error On Their Computer. It Says Something Like Host Id Is Already In Use.
acexperts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:02 PM   #2534
synch22

i know the headaches suck. I have been running one cable card for a month now. I need to go to the office and get another card, the last one was DOA.
synch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:15 AM   #2535
acexperts

I guess I have to get a new Tivo box to solve this problem. Comcast and Tivo tech support have been no help. Anyone else have any problems getting authorized or all channels on card slot 2???
Old 04-20-2007, 08:58 PM   #2536
palonts

I have the exact same problem... 1st card fine, 2nd card won't authorize. I was also told the same thing about the Host ID already in use. Techs have been out here 4 times! I called the Comcast corporate telephone number this afternoon. They seemed sympathetic to my problems and said that someone would call me back by noon on Saturday. If I can't get this 2nd card working soon, the TiVo is going back to Best Buy. If I have any success I'll be sure to post the story.
palonts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:04 AM   #2537
Laurence5905

Well, by reading this (very long) thread, it seems that many of y'all are having problems with Comcast and CableCards and the Series-3 TiVo.

I'm quite happy to say, I had absolutely zero problems with them! (I'm in Mableton, Georgia, USA -- just outside Atlanta, in the Metropolitan Atlanta area.)

At first, I was a little ticked that I couldn't automatically record the un-encrypted HD channels without a CableCard, since the TiVo folks told me I would be able to access those channels without a CableCard. Technically, that's true (I was able to watch those channels and manually record them, but I couldn't set up season-passes or any other type of automatic recording... And the manual recordings didn't contain the name of the show, either... Although they did record, and in beautiful HD clarity.) After reading some of your horror stories here, I was VERY upset about having to get CableCards...

But, it went very smoothly. Comcast sent out a technician two days after I called them, and he popped the cards in. Took a little while for them to become "authorized" (something like 45 minutes or so), but before he left I had all the channels I was supposed to have, and on both tuners.

As far as charges are concerned: They did charge me an $18.95 service fee to have the technician come out to install the cards. But the monthly charge is FREE for the first CableCard and only $1.50/month for the second one. I *DID* specify to the person on the phone that this would be a TiVo Series-3 installation, and that did affect the price -- lowered it significantly, which I was very happy about. Otherwise, I'd be paying a total of $10 per month for the two cards combined.

So now I have my Series-3 TiVo, receiving and recording all the channels properly on both tuners, including the HD ones. Gotta say, I'm pleasantly surprised at Comcast's level of service on this one -- it couldn't have gone smoother.
Laurence5905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:15 AM   #2538
Laurence5905

Quote:
Originally Posted by acexperts
Cablecard 2 Not Authorized!
Card 1 Works Fine. Card 2 Doesn't Get Most Digital And Premium Channels. I've Had Comcast Out 10 Times And Card 2 Will Not Authorize. They Swapped Cards/installed New Cards Several Times. After A Month Of The Same Problem Now They Say It Is An Error On Their Computer. It Says Something Like Host Id Is Already In Use.
They have to authorize both cards at the same time -- in other words, if they authorize one card, and "complete" that authorization (or close it, or whatever they call it) then a second card cannot be authorized for that same device. (There's your Host ID Already In Use error.)

Have them remove both cards from their system. Then re-add the 1st one -- but NOT complete that authorization (leave it "open" in other words). Then add the second card. Then "close" or "complete" both authorizations at the same time. That's what the tech who did my install had to do to get both cards working -- luckily he realized that problem while he was here during the install, and was smart enough to figure it out.
Laurence5905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:58 PM   #2539
jayssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence5905
Snip...

I'm quite happy to say, I had absolutely zero problems with them! (I'm in Mableton, Georgia, USA -- just outside Atlanta, in the Metropolitan Atlanta area.)

Snip...

But the monthly charge is FREE for the first CableCard and only $1.50/month for the second one. I *DID* specify to the person on the phone that this would be a TiVo Series-3 installation, and that did affect the price -- lowered it significantly, which I was very happy about. Otherwise, I'd be paying a total of $10 per month for the two cards combined.
Keep a close eye on your bill! I had the same thing happen in November. No problems whatsoever at the time. Then they f'ed up everything in the early April bill. Keep an eagle eye on the bill, and hope it stays that way.
jayssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:19 PM   #2540
synch22

Finally after 3 weeks I took back a doa card and picked up a second card. Plugged the second card in, made the phone call and got it validated. It was pretty simple it did not matter that I had a card already validated in card 1.

For anyone having issues getting validation, try and change your cable wire....My other one was older and once I swapped it validation came through no problem. I would say that issue was most of my struggles.
synch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:53 AM   #2541
doubleagent

Someone came out yesterday for three hours trying to get hbo on my S3. I had a supervisor out today that tried four different cards with various results. I still do not have HBO and another guy is coming tomorrow. The person that was here today was connected with addressability for four hours. He gave me a motorola 3416 to use overnight so I at least got to watch cro cop get knocked out. I haven't seen the 161-4 message since my original install which makes me think they are not sending a cold hit but instead a regular hit. Until we get on the phone with the headend I have no hope to watch the sopranos in HD tomorrow.
doubleagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:40 PM   #2542
acexperts

My Problems Are With Scientific Atlanta Cards. What Brand Name Cards Do You Have?
Old 04-22-2007, 05:47 PM   #2543
doubleagent

Motorola media cypher all 4.21 firmware.

For the time being I have one cable card working but still no HBO. Tommorrow they are fixing some things in the alleyway behind my apt and I'm getting a new drop. Signals were fine yesterday but they were not so great today. I don't think the cards are able to restart.

The only difference between three months ago and now is the 8.1 update. I really don't want to erase and restart but maybe the update has something to do with it.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:52 PM   #2544
acexperts

What Brand Cards Do You Have?
Old 04-22-2007, 08:07 PM   #2545
doubleagent

Quote:
Originally Posted by acexperts
What Brand Cards Do You Have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleagent
Motorola media cypher all 4.21 firmware.
Motorola
Media Cypher
FW 4.21
Old 04-22-2007, 09:56 PM   #2546
ivyvine420

Comcast cable card issues...

I have actually had no real (big) issues with my cable cards and comcast cable (digital platinum package plus HD service), though they did forget to send a 2nd card the first install run and had to get the second installed 2 days later.

I also had to switch Series 3 tivo boxes as the first had a bad (broken) OLED display on the front, and I was easily able to take the cards and install them myself into the second unit and call in the new #'s they needed and have them work properly.

The past day or 2 I have been noticing that occassionally the one cablecard screen will come up randomly while watching tv -from now playing- (the one that shows up when you first install the card), either for card # 1 or #2, and after pressing the clear button, it sends me back to the program that I had been watching (one time it did freeze while doing this, I went to watch tv off the soon to be returned series 3 tivo -since the other was recording 2 shows and I did not want to restart it- and later on when I went back, the newer Tivo was fine again).

This screen has popped up a few times in the past day or 2, much more than I would like, but as it doesn't usually do anything bad and pressing clear makes it go away (compared to actually losing signal and messing up recordings etc), I have decided it's ok to deal with (for now) as I do not want to press my luck and have it do something worse...

I live in the SF Bay Area, use Comcast Cable (Berkeley/Hercules division, I am in Berkeley myself) and I have been reading that alot of the SF Bay Area customers with Comcast have been dealing with many issues (signal loss and more) the past week or so, so I actually feel semi-lucky that this is all I have been experiencing.

Just wanted to post my current Comcast in the SF Bay Area experience here for others to see (you may be having the same things happen to you?)...
ivyvine420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:08 AM   #2547
cbm

Comcast Bay Area screws up

Apparently Comcast sent out a signal last week that nukes authorization for premium channels. This only affected the second cablecard in my case, but the installer who came by today was surprised that I was getting any premium channels on my first cablecard, as well.

It was his third CableCard related visit of the day (Sunday!) with four more to go.

They are working with Motorola to figure out a fix.
cbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:32 AM   #2548
sfhub

They didn't nuke anything, at least not in most cases. What happened is they enabled CPMS (copy protection management system) and if your CableCARDs didn't have the proper Host/Data information entered into their systems they lost the ability to decrypt channels with non-zero CCI/EMI.

Prior to CPMS, even if they entered the wrong Host/Data, you would still get all the channels you were supposed to get.

The problem can in most cases be fixed over the phone, but it can sometimes take a while to get to someone who knows how to fix it.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:50 PM   #2549
spinlock

SF Bay area

I was told that a new copyright method was embedded in the signal on 4/19. Most CCs in the bay area worked fine, about 1000 failed. Most of them worked after intial re-paring done manually, but some are requiring a service call(which is bullshyt).

I had a tech in my house for 2 hours saturday, he swapped the cards 3 times and problemn still not resolved.

I called agin this AM and the initial person I spoke with told me that they learned a new "Cable Card Host Validation" procedure and she executed on my cards.

Heading home for lunch now to try it....
spinlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:05 PM   #2550
spinlock

Comcast sucks

Went home at luchtime and checked, surprise, surpirse, it still didnt work!

Called in again and was told my CC#s, Host#s, Data#s didnt match what was in their system.

I was assured that as soon as that peron's supervisor got out of a meeting that the problem would be resolved.

BOY!, do I feel better now, back at work, can't wait to go home and try it.........
spinlock is offline   Reply With Quote