TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-12-2007, 08:39 PM   #2191
Corran Horn

Well, I'm up and running. My CSR from Friday (who activated Card 1 and scheduled the tech to replace Card 2) followed up with me tonight. He initialized Card 2 and activated it, and SUCCESS! I'm up and running on both cards, HD and everything!

He was great throughout, very knowledgeable, and knew exactly how to solve my problem. There is hope out there!
Old 02-13-2007, 07:19 AM   #2192
HORUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr2
I've gotten no love from Comcast.

Five calls, promises that a supervisor will call me, and nothing. Emails promising to escalate to "Marketing" without any time frames or further contact info to follow up.

Well, I've filed with both the FCC and the local franchise office. I've also sent off six typed and hand-signed letters to the corporate heads, copying the FCC and their general counsel.

Let's see what happens next. I'll probably transfer my lifetime from the Series 1 to the Series 3 (still in its box, seal not broken). If Comcast comes through, I'll be able to use it until I transfer to FIOS. If comcast fails me, as I suspect they will, well, Lifetime Series 3's are going for over $1200 on eBay.

I doubt Comcast will ever get their act together.
I share your frustrations in Monmouth County, NJ. As of last week I just got my cards installed and as of Friday they have stopped malfunctioning. I hope this gives you some hope. I called every day for two weeks before I got someone to schedule an appointment for me. Seems like you just have to find someone who is willing to make the appointment for you. They have the cards but they have a lot of problems getting them to work properly. It took me two days of tech support after the cards were installed to get them to stop giving me cp authorization errors. If you scan this thread you'll also notice that someone in Long Branch, NJ recently got his card. So between the two of us we are proof positive that the cards are out there. Keep trying, you'll finally get someone to see the light of day or forget that they are supposed to tell you that they are out of stock when they are not. Good Luck! By the way I think when I made my appointment I called the local # found on my bill. I got nowhere calling the 800# and I think someone recommended the 800# to me at first.
HORUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:06 AM   #2193
rcr2
It's you, not me.

Just spoke with a supervisor "Rosie" in Louisiana. (called my local office, but got routed out due to call volume)

For the first time, I was given the option to get on a waiting list. Every time I asked to get on a list, I was told there was none.

But, she could not get me off the phone fast enough. She didn't want to talk to me about it and simply kept saying that my area "Has an Alert on the account that there are no CableCards."

Again, no answer when I asked why don't they just transfer overstock from one office to another, or to how installs were scheduled in the area when an Alert is on.

Of course my name being on a waiting list, I asked what number and how long, and there was no answer there, either.
rcr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:47 AM   #2194
HORUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr2

But, she could not get me off the phone fast enough. She didn't want to talk to me about it and simply kept saying that my area "Has an Alert on the account that there are no CableCards."
Read your quote again. Since when does a company refer to a geographic area of theirs as an account? If you ask me I'd say one of their customer service reps. noted your account. I'd put money on it that they don't refer to counties of New Jersey or areas of theirs as an account. I had two or three CSR put me on a wait list, what a bunch of bs, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for them to call you back. I speculate that with all the incopetence trying to get these to program that they don't want to waste time in the field for their technicians to trouble shoot these devices. It's a shame that TIVO is in a working relationship with this company because they'll never put the screws to them because they want their DVR business.(Hopefully I'm wrong on this point) Good luck getting this resolved. FCC really needs to step up to the plate in this area, hopefully they've got some people there that have a spine. Good luck!
HORUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:49 AM   #2195
rcr2
It's you, not me.

Looks like they're going to schedule me now. I am guessing they have a very long file for me, because I didn't mention on this call I needed it for a TiVo, but the supervisor said immediately that they need to bring 6 cards because not all are compatable with TiVo.

I wasn't going to argue.

She also made it clear the cost would be $6 PER CARD, plus the $16 install fee.

Again, I figure not worth arguing right now to get it scheduled. I will call back after its all installed and talk to the billing people to get it straight.

Let's see if she comes back off hold.

Funny - the first person said "We have no cards." She hemmed and hawed about passing me to a supervisor, saying "She's going to tell you the same thing." But after 10 minutes, the supervisor immediately came on saying she can schedule me.

I don't know what's going on in that office, but we'll see if I get any love. I think they're leaving me on hold to see if I'll give up waiting to shedule a date.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:41 AM   #2196
rich_t

To good to be true?

After reading all the horror stories in this thread, I decided to take the plunge and attempt to schedule cable card installation. As I am located in Camden county NJ, it was with some misgivings that I called Comcast on my local number. After about 10 minutes on hold I was answered by a CSR in accented English. After some discourse about the type of TV, she stated she did not know about any “TIVO”, only TV. At this point I requested she find me someone who did. Without further conversation, I was placed back on hold. After another 10 minute wait, I was connected to another CSR who spoke English more clearly. It took her about one half an hour to place the order for the two cable cards and the tech visit. She kept apologizing for the wait, but stated that she wanted to get the order entered correctly. I was pleasant and patient throughout the transaction. She finally got me scheduled for tech visit this Sunday. At this point I asked how much this was going to cost me. Her reply was “there is no charge for the two cable cards”. I said, oh just the tech visit charge then. Her reply was a shocker. She said that since I had been so patient with her, she was waiving the service visit charges. I have my doubts that this will all turn out as promised, but I can hope. I will post a follow up after Sunday.
rich_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:04 PM   #2197
peter.h.cho

I live in Bucks County, PA Comcast, Central bucks. I requested two cable cards for the S3 and they have dispatch a tech to install. They sure are confused when you try to order it. First guy showed up with no cable card, dispatched for digital trouble shooting. I went down to the local office to pick up the card, and you can't pick it up. Tried to order it there and they didn't have the proper billing codes to schedule it and suggested I call the 800 number to schedule. They came and installed the cards. The cards are not decoding all hd channels, particularly the premium channels. The tech thinks its the cards, and rescheduled another visit. I then called the 800 number to reauthorize the cards, but the same problem. any one have the same issues?

Peter
peter.h.cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:24 PM   #2198
Mike Farrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.h.cho
They came and installed the cards. The cards are not decoding all hd channels, particularly the premium channels. The tech thinks its the cards, and rescheduled another visit. I then called the 800 number to reauthorize the cards, but the same problem. any one have the same issues?
It is a very common problem. First, see if you get EMMs when they hit the card and ECMs when you sitting on an encrypted channel. If those are coming in fine, then check for "CP Auth Received". If you're not getting that, tell them to have a look at your rate codes. Make sure the CableCARDs are authorized for your digital and premiums. Make sure the box IS NOT enabled for PPV/VOD. Have them rehit the cards. Have them remove and readd your cards to your account to force an initialization hit (also called a superhit). If you go through all of that with a knowledgeable CSR and it still doesn't work, ask to have it escalated to one of the head end engineers.

Good luck. It could turn into a long battle. It took me almost 6 weeks to get it straightened out. See some of my previous posts in this thread.
Mike Farrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:38 PM   #2199
sharding

I got a phone message from Comcast today, saying that they need me to call in so they can "update ID numbers found on my cable card" to "ensure continued access."

Have any of you received this message? If so, do you know exactly what they're doing and what information they need? Is it all stuff I can get from the menus, or do I need to physically pull the cards out? This setup has been working great, so I'm paranoid about changing anything...
sharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:43 PM   #2200
Mike Farrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharding
I got a phone message from Comcast today, saying that they need me to call in so they can "update ID numbers found on my cable card" to "ensure continued access."

Have any of you received this message? If so, do you know exactly what they're doing and what information they need? Is it all stuff I can get from the menus, or do I need to physically pull the cards out? This setup has been working great, so I'm paranoid about changing anything...
Comcast never paired your cards, and now they're scrambling to get every card paired. They hired a 3rd party call center to get everyone's CableCARD# and HostIDs in order to bind the cards to your S3. Its legit, just go with it.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:47 PM   #2201
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharding
Is it all stuff I can get from the menus, or do I need to physically pull the cards out?
yes, no
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:53 PM   #2202
sharding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farrington
Comcast never paired your cards, and now they're scrambling to get every card paired. They hired a 3rd party call center to get everyone's CableCARD# and HostIDs in order to bind the cards to your S3. Its legit, just go with it.
Cool, thanks. I suppose that explains why I was able to move the cable cards from one TiVo to another and have them continue working seamlessly
sharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:23 PM   #2203
BrianCT

Damn, I got excited reading Mike Farrington's post about calling Comcast and getting them to do a Superhit. I called and asked for a supervisor who turned out to be up in CC's. Anyway, he ran a superhit, but my EMM and ECM's on both cards are still zero's. I also asked about no VOD/PPV on the account, he confirmed it wasnt and confirmed the cards were good for digital/premium channels. I am stumped why after removing them last night (I know I know dumb move) that I cant get them back up. Truckroll on the 21st....too far away!
BrianCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:16 PM   #2204
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

Does this have to do with the new pricing? Previously the Cable cards cost zero. Now the new price list shows "Dual Cable Cards for a non-Comcast DVR" is a $1.50 charge. So now they are going to get an extra $4.50 out of me. At least I'm locked into the programming monthly charge of $29.95 until the end of the year. At least I hope I am. It used to be $83.96 and is going up to $86.65. It's a sweet deal for me until the end of the year.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:06 AM   #2205
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
Does this have to do with the new pricing? Previously the Cable cards cost zero. Now the new price list shows "Dual Cable Cards for a non-Comcast DVR" is a $1.50 charge.
Nothing to do with the new pricing. The new prices seem to be pretty much universal in Comcast-land; we have the same increase come March. We've had paired cablecard-host throughout.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:22 AM   #2206
mafoo

Lost Encrypted Channels in MA

I bought my S3 in Sep. 06 and have been running fine w/ both cable cards installed until a couple weeks ago I lost all the non-local digital channels (ESPN/TNT/HBO/etc..). The local HD channels (NBC/CBS/PBS/etc..) work fine.

Comcast service rep came and re-installed new cards and tried for over an hour to get it working w/ someone over the phone. Their summary conclusion was that it's a "Tivo" problem. I've called supervisors and they claim to be working on it which I interpret "working on it" means putting forth the effort to say "working on it" each time I call.

Does anyone have a technical cookbook solution to this problem posted (I know it's not uncommon) so I can at least verify they've tried all avenues?
mafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:48 AM   #2207
azitnay

I had essentially the same problem at first, but only on the second CableCARD. I had no luck getting it fixed over the phone, so someone came out. He ended up determining that the second card wasn't authorized for "digital plus". I was a bit distracted by our Super Bowl party at the time so I wasn't really able to watch or listen to anything technical he did or said.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:56 PM   #2208
jmr50

Follow-up on my situation: i made an appointment for a second truck roll after the first guy flaked on me. I asked the CSR to put into the job notes that I needed a Tivo Series 3 expert. The morning of the appointment, Comcast called me at home, and between the manager and the person at the head-end, we walked through removing, reinserting, and ultimately repairing both cards. About 4 hits per card later, I was up and in business. Good news all around - go Comcast!
jmr50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:04 AM   #2209
rich_t

Well I thought it was too good to be true.

Comcast tech arrived 2 minutes before beginning of scheduled time. He stated that he had set up two previous TIVOs. He said one was easy and the other did not work and the customer was mad. He brought three cards and we tried them all. After some time I found out that the TIVO was displaying a message about a firmware update. After some discussion about the cards we decided that he would return next weekend with new cards (in original packaging). The cards he was given did look a bit used. As some one else observed, they probably recycle non working cards in the hope that they will start working as if by magic. Thanks to this forum, I had low expectations. Now I just hope he can obtain the new cards for next weekend.
rich_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:17 AM   #2210
aaronwt
HD Addict

My six cards were used also. One even had a big dent in it. But they all worked once they input the proper info at the head end. So far they have all been working flawlessly for the last 5 or 6 weeks.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:25 PM   #2211
Gregor

Things have gotten considerably better in my Comcast area. When I first got my S3 in Sept, I had to go to the headend service center and talk the local tech manager into at least trying to make it work.

I had to replace my S3 under warranty and when I called today, they just had to set up a service call for a tech as they couldn't do it over the phone with a customer.

They'll be here on Wed, and I'll report back then.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:33 PM   #2212
rcr2
It's you, not me.

Oh my goodness. Techs left about an hour or so ago. Two came by - one to help out his buddy, who seemed to have it all in hand by himself, anyway.

For some reason, 'corporate' was all over my account to make sure everything went right. I think one of the execs that I sent the letters to actually may have read my letter.

Anyway, there were some hiccups with trying to get the first card authorized. Then they took everything off my account and restarted and we got both cards working. The second card wouldn't get the premiums, though.

And, then they noticed my two digital boxes on my other TV's had gone to 'bricks' (not activated).

They managed to sort out the two boxes and get them working, then the two cablecards went out completely.

A re-boot of the TiVo, though, and they were working. Dunno if it was the reboot, or all the activity that seemed to be going on at the head office - three people on two lines and lots of chatter.

It was about two hours, but a lot was waiting, especially when my two digital boxes went brick. But even though it was this guy's first or second TiVo install, it went fairly smoothly, and the techs were very nice and went above and beyond what they needed to do to make sure it went right.

I'm very happy with them. Now, I just have to make sure the billing goes right. Techs and install - a far cry from the rude and unhelpful people that I had to go through to get the cards in the first place.

From the errors and everything, though, I could totally see how someone would think it was the TiVo causing the problems and not the cards.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:33 PM   #2213
rcr2
It's you, not me.

Oh - and should I re-run guided setup now?
Old 02-20-2007, 02:23 PM   #2214
eingybear

I've been keeping tabs on this thread for a while now, trying to see how successful the Oakland, CA installs have been, and have only seen a couple.

I just placed an order for my Series 3 last night and am expecting it to arrive on Thursday. I called Comcast this morning and a very, very nice and knowledgeable CSR scheduled me for a Saturday morning truck roll. She even gave me the option to get it on Friday, but it was close to an prior appointment so I opted for Saturday.

I don't know if she didn't know about the updates to the CC prices yet or not, but she told me very explicitly that the two CCs will be free and that the truck roll will also be free. Since I'll be returning my crappy HD DVR, I'll be saving something like $9.95 for the rental fee. If I call later and cancel the HD package (since I'll most likely move to OTA for the HD content as most of the HD content I record is from network stations), I'll save another $5/month. This will bring my cable package price down to $47, reduced from $87 to about $62 earlier in the year via a very polite inquiry on the phone. (Basically, I just asked if I can somehow reduce my bill and they knocked $25 off right away.)

Yay!

Now my fingers are crossed for a successful Comcast visit. I will report back later, especially with what I end up getting charged for the CCs. If I get charged $1.50 for the second one, I won't be upset. I hope I join the lucky ranks for whom the truck roll goes without a hitch. If not, at least I have great people to commiserate and share information with.

Last edited by eingybear : 02-20-2007 at 04:53 PM.
eingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:54 PM   #2215
cherry ghost

I'm not sure if having 8.1 prior to install mattered or if it was a knowledgeable person on the other end of the phone, but my install this afternoon took 20 minutes with a tech. who had never installed CCs before. There's no reason Comcast shouldn't allow self-install on these.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:34 PM   #2216
Scott2323

Question 8.1.1 & Music Choice Channels

I got the 8.1.1 update yesterday 2/19 and half of the Comcast Music Choice channels (in the 400's) work. Channels like 423(80's) and 422 (90's) are just a blank screen without any sound. So check your music channels to see if you guys have the same problem. I did check my mom's channels on her 6412 STB and ALL of them work on the Motorola box.

BTW I checked Con. Access screen on the CableCard menus and they are the same status that it was on 8.0.1c (State:Subscribed and Host Val.: Valid). Please post your results or PM me.

THanks,

Scott
Scott2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:38 PM   #2217
Mike Farrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2323
I got the 8.1.1 update yesterday 2/19 and half of the Comcast Music Choice channels (in the 400's) work. Channels like 423(80's) and 422 (90's) are just a blank screen without any sound. So check your music channels to see if you guys have the same problem. I did check my mom's channels on her 6412 STB and ALL of them work on the Motorola box.

BTW I checked Con. Access screen on the CableCard menus and they are the same status that it was on 8.0.1c (State:Subscribed and Host Val.: Valid). Please post your results or PM me.

THanks,

Scott
Almost all of my MusicChoice channels come in just fine. My cable system has them in 401-458. I get everthing just fine except 450-458. Also, oddly, those stations have next to no guide info. All the other stations give a generic description, most of my missing ones have no description. Also, 450-458 all appear to be spanish language. I wonder if they are only available when you order the spanish package or something. But the channels don't show as being encrypted, so that's probably not the case. I think they have been orphaned on my system.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:14 PM   #2218
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Almost all of my MusicChoice channels come in just fine. My cable system has them in 401-458. I get everthing just fine except 450-458. Also, oddly, those stations have next to no guide info. All the other stations give a generic description, most of my missing ones have no description. Also, 450-458 all appear to be spanish language. I wonder if they are only available when you order the spanish package or something. But the channels don't show as being encrypted, so that's probably not the case. I think they have been orphaned on my system.
According to the channel lineup in my area, those spanish music channels would only be part of the "Selecto" package, a tier that's purchased separately from anything else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:46 AM   #2219
KevinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG
Well, I guess my celebrating was a bit premature.

Sure, my dual cards continue to work just fine, but I just checked the status of my bill for the current month. Recall I was quoted around $10 for the 2 cable cards (with no real justification for how that $10 was broken down) Either way, that was acceptable...

We are on the "triple play" for $99/month, and there's some additional for the HD DVR which brings us to $120.98. Here's what my account looks like now:

Balance at Start of Last Billing Period $120.98
Payments cr $120.98
Comcast Package Services $204.87
Digital Voice Addl. Charges $1.47
Taxes, Surcharges & Fees $4.61
Total Currently Due:* $210.95

$204.87?! WTF?

I'm absolutely certain that when they try to fix this my cards will stop working...Monday is going to be fun. :-(

-Kevin
So, the bill finally arrived, and, as expected it was WAY more than I expected. It turns out that they had upgraded me (without my consent) from my $33 cable TV package (part of the triple play) to a $68.90 package called "Digital plus".

The cable cards are effectively free:
$7.95 A/O fee
-$8.40 credit for cable cards ($4.20 each) for not getting the guide or VOD
$5.00 HDTV Digital converter charge (since the cards can get HD that I didn't get before)

So, net-net, the cards cost me $4.55/month...but the new package is over $35 more per month!

To be fair, it has added HD Discovery, INHD, UHD, etc...all of the high def (non-premium) that isn't the local networks (which I received before, of course). But that seems like a hefty price for those few things, and I didn't ask for them!!!
What's even more interesting is that triple play offers a "Triple play preferred plus" which gets me all of that plus HBO, Showtime and Startz for only $30 more than my $33. So, more than $5 less per month for more channels...but, of course, they didn't upgrade me to that!

I called to complain...and here is the answer: "The dual cable card Tivos won't work unless you are subscribed to a digital package." Someone please kill me.
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:07 AM   #2220
Mike Farrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
According to the channel lineup in my area, those spanish music channels would only be part of the "Selecto" package, a tier that's purchased separately from anything else.
Which makes sense, except I don't have encryption issues on those channels. In my area, it wouldn't surprise me if they just haven't bothered setting it up properly. I moved from one of the most ethnically diverse cities in Massachusetts to some sort or rural whiter-than-white farmland area on the MD/PA border. Sigh. I can't get any decent food around here. No good Lebanese, Italian, Mexican, Japanese or Indian place anywhere nearby. There's a so-so Chinese place, but that's about it. Can't even get pita bread in my grocery store!!