TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-10-2007, 12:49 PM   #2161
natureboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneys
Call Comcast. I had this problem when I got my Series 3 about 1 week after it was released. They have not properly authorized your cards at Comcast. Their computers detect this, and disable all of the, in theory, non-basic channels. They DO NOT need to send someone back out to your house. You just need to get a knowledgeable CSR on the phone and they can get everything take care of. Insist on speaking to their manager, etc. if they can't help you.

Thanks for your help. Will give that a try.
natureboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:34 PM   #2162
funshop

I have had this problem on and off since I got the first S3. Even when the cards were checked and put in the Comcast head end, no permanent solution. I have gone through two S3s and now have found a temporary solution.

Go to the settings area and select Channels. Then, test the signal strength of the cable channels. Select yes to stop live recording. Then, select the channel you could not see. It will come up with no problem. Then, select Live TV.
funshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:31 PM   #2163
Corran Horn

After my issues of yesterday I called Comcast last night. Their 'same day' service called me back around 7pm and I got somebody who was VERY knowledgeable about the Series3. We moved the card in slot 2 to slot 1 and got it working. Tech was supposed to come out this morning with another card, but he must have missed that notation in the work order. He'll be coming back in a few hours and hopefully everything will work out.

here's a question...once I get these both up and running, I want to upgrade my cable package. How will that be handled? Will it futz up my cards somehow, or be seamless? (like DirecTV)
Old 02-10-2007, 04:31 PM   #2164
cherrytree

Newbie question on HD cable box vs. digital cable box

I live in Boston and just ordered Comcast's triple play today. Along with the two CableCards to be installed in my S3, I am getting a digital cable box for VOD. The CSR stated that to receive VOD in HD, I need only the digital cable box and not the HD cable box.

Intuitively, I would think that to receive VOD in HD, I would need an HD cable box. Is the CSR correct in stating that the regular digital cable box, along with the two CC's, would suffice?

Separately, the CSR stated that Comcast of Boston would be offering Tivo-enabled DVRs beginning in March 2007. I certainly don't know if this is correct. When I visited the TiVo booth at CES this year, I believe they said that it would be offered beginning in May.

However, Boston is a market where Comcast typically trials services first, Comcast Mobile Access being an example. Perhaps the CSR is correct with the March date.
cherrytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 05:54 PM   #2165
Mike Farrington

If you want HD PPV/VOD, you will need the HD set top box. The good news is that they usually loan those out for free when you are using CableCARDs. As for the Comcast/TiVo, even May seems a little optimistic.
Mike Farrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:40 PM   #2166
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farrington
If you want HD PPV/VOD, you will need the HD set top box. The good news is that they usually loan those out for free when you are using CableCARDs. As for the Comcast/TiVo, even May seems a little optimistic.
Not here. I'm near Boston and for a digital only box, it costs us $5/mo plus an A/O fee of $3.51/Mo. The HD box is $10/mo plus the A/O fee. And for $15 plus the A/O fee, you get the HD DVR. Once I got my bill, I returned the HD box and got a $13.51/mo credit.

You know that Comcast is not consistant with their pricing, If they are giving out free boxes, they are making it up in A/O fees or some other crap. But, that pricing is consistent in "this" area as I have the billing insert for two towns about 20 miles apart.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:00 PM   #2167
Mike Farrington

Generally speaking, they don't want to lose PPV revenue and will provide one STB for free (to be used on the same TV as the CableCARDs). Of course, pricing varies wildly from location to location. However, this freely provided STB is mentioned in the FAQs on the Comcast website.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:09 PM   #2168
pl1

Quote:
Generally speaking, they don't want to lose PPV revenue and will provide one STB for free (to be used on the same TV as the CableCARDs). Of course, pricing varies wildly from location to location. However, this freely provided STB is mentioned in the FAQs on the Comcast website.
Makes sense to me. I'd take it for free. I like VOD and PPV.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:40 PM   #2169
btwyx
Substantive Member

They'll give me the STB for free, but then charge a $6-95 additional outlet fee. They may want PPV revenue, but they're too stupid to make it easy for the customer.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:38 PM   #2170
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
They'll give me the STB for free, but then charge a $6-95 additional outlet fee. They may want PPV revenue, but they're too stupid to make it easy for the customer.
There you go. That's what I'm talking about! They get you one way or another. Nothing is really free.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:49 PM   #2171
Mike Farrington

I'm not 100% certain, but I think the A/O fee only applies when your package is replicated to another STB. Have them take the digitals and premiums off the STB and maybe you can avoid the A/O fee.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:04 PM   #2172
btwyx
Substantive Member

I decided to do without the STB at that point. Its their loss I can't order PPV.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:36 AM   #2173
cherrytree

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Mike. Can you guide to me the Comcast FAQ that mentions the freely provided STB. I couldn't find it anywhere among the FAQs on Comcast's site.

I also appreciate the suggestion of having Comcast remove all the non-VOD/PPV channels from the STB to avoid an A/O charge. It would be quite a victory if I can avoid paying a cent more for an STB.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:48 AM   #2174
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrytree
Thanks for the reply Mike. Can you guide to me the Comcast FAQ that mentions the freely provided STB. I couldn't find it anywhere among the FAQs on Comcast's site.
http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?ID=2540

I'm not sure it's a current FAQ; I can't find a way to get to it except directly by that URL, so it could be a leftover one that only exists in the database these things are pulled from and isn't meant to be seen anymore. It might possibly be market-specific, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:36 AM   #2175
jmr50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconner
Success!!!!

I finally got in touch with a good tech in the Comcast office who called me tonight, and asked for the CableCard ID numbers and Host ID numbers. I gave him the numbers, he entered them, and suddenly I'm getting everything I'm supposed to, on both cards!

Neither he nor I is exactly sure why this didn't happen before, but it seems like it might mainly be neither the contractors nor the CSRs understanding that those numbers have to be input manually.

Dunno, but I'm just glad it's finally working!
I'm trying to play the same CSR roulette right now in Loudoun. The installer left the "Washington Area Network Operations" number scribbled on my pink copy of the install order, and I've quietly pondered calling that, but fear they won't talk to end-users. I'm stuck with 2 unpaired cards because he forgot to remove the trap before calling them in, then ran off as soon as he saw analog cable guide. Lovely, eh? Thoughts?
jmr50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:48 AM   #2176
KevinG

Not over yet

Well, I guess my celebrating was a bit premature.

Sure, my dual cards continue to work just fine, but I just checked the status of my bill for the current month. Recall I was quoted around $10 for the 2 cable cards (with no real justification for how that $10 was broken down) Either way, that was acceptable...

We are on the "triple play" for $99/month, and there's some additional for the HD DVR which brings us to $120.98. Here's what my account looks like now:

Balance at Start of Last Billing Period $120.98
Payments cr $120.98
Comcast Package Services $204.87
Digital Voice Addl. Charges $1.47
Taxes, Surcharges & Fees $4.61
Total Currently Due:* $210.95

$204.87?! WTF?

I'm absolutely certain that when they try to fix this my cards will stop working...Monday is going to be fun. :-(

-Kevin
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:07 AM   #2177
lachacg
Go Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG
Recall I was quoted around $10 for the 2 cable cards (with no real justification for how that $10 was broken down) Either way, that was acceptable...
Here up in north NJ, Comcast charges me $10 for the cable cards ($5 each) using an HDTV Fee. The cards themselves are "free", but they won't get rid of this fee. FIOS can't get here soon enough.

Although, I'll give them credit where credit is due. They came Christmas Eve day, before my Giants game started, to install the two cablecards in the S3. Flawless installation in about an hour. The tech definitely had done it before.
lachacg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:31 AM   #2178
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG
$204.87?! WTF?
You can get a complete breakdown by going to "RECENT ACTIVITY", or if the bill has already been produced, "VIEW MY BILL>VIEW PAPER STATEMENT". Remember also they bill in advance, so you might have two months on there. A partial current month and the whole next month. That's why, whenever I have ANYTHING done to add charges (like installing the cableCARDs), I pay on-line immediately so I don't get a double whammy the next month.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:52 AM   #2179
hantman

Washington, DC Success!

After months of fear and trepidation, I finally made the leap and wanted to let everyone know that it CAN be easy (so far). Comcast came out yesterday (I demanded a Comcast tech and had to mention two cards a few times before they got it). The tech called til he got the right person, stuck the two cards in basically at once, got the hits sent, ignored the 161-4 errors, waited a few minutes and voila! In and out in 30 minutes, all channels working. I cleared the TiVo and did the guided set up before he arrived, then just went to the cable card screen. After it was all done, ran guided setup again and all is well.

I fear I will be overcharged and that it won't work forever, but as of now it was the easiest visit from Comcast ever. Just wanted to give everyone hope!
hantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #2180
cherrytree

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow

I'm not sure it's a current FAQ; I can't find a way to get to it except directly by that URL, so it could be a leftover one that only exists in the database these things are pulled from and isn't meant to be seen anymore. It might possibly be market-specific, too.
Thanks for the link Doug.

On the issue of whether an HD STB is necessary to watch VOD, the following note in the Comcast CableCard FAQs seems to indicate that an HD STB is not necessary, and that a regular digital STB will suffice:

"**Note: ON DEMAND HDTV services require the use of a Comcast digital cable set-top box"

This matters to me because it would be the difference between being charged $3.79/month vs. $8.79/month for an STB. Of course, I'm still hoping I won't be charged anything.

Lachacg, the $5/CC HDTV fee is truly disgusting. That HDTV fee doesn't even exist in the Boston market. I believe the theory is that, when individually rented, an HD STB should cost $5 more per month than a regular STB ($8.79 vs. $3.79). That somehow a $5 HD set-top box premium is being applied to a CableCard is ridiculous.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:29 PM   #2181
andrews144

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORUS
When I got home on Thursday night I gave my friendly Comcast CS department a call and explained I wasn't getting any channels on my two CC's above channel 23. He had the cards "rehit" a couple times and I pulled the plug a couple of times on the power and slowly but surely I was able to increase the channel line up a few at a time until finally I was getting all the channels I was supposed to. So now I had both cards working with all the channels I was supposed to but intermittently I now get authorization errors on my cards which I must correct by pulling the power on my unit and having the unit reset. It appears after resetting my box by unplugging it, the channels are restored to it's authorized state. I've had to do this periodically since Thursday night when I was able to get it resolved with my channel lineup. Anybody else experiencing this type of problem with their Comcast CC's? I'm hoping that one of these times that the channels just stay authorized the way they are supposed to. I wonder if this is the new process that I am just going to have to live with or if one or both of my cc's need replacing. Any suggestions from the crew? I'll keep you posted if this persists.
I had similar problems. Take a look at my postings over the last month or so. The main problem with me seems to have been low signal strength combined with bad cable cards. Since I've had my home re-cabled (new cable run to my house plus new cable run into my home), and then had both CC's replaced, my S3 works most of the time. About once every week or three I loose all but the OTA channels on CC#2 - a cold boot with power off for several minutes fixes this for at least a week or so.

I'm starting to wonder if I need to ask Tivo to send me a new S3, but hate to have to go through entering all my wishlist, season pass, etc. info.
andrews144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:19 PM   #2182
Corran Horn

Ok...Card in Slot 1 is fully up and running. Slot 2 is getting the most basic channels with video and sound. The 'conditional' menu shows the MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY error that I've seen around here. I just called Comcast and told them it needed to be 'intialized' as I've seen it before, and even though I explained it from what she was saying I think she was simply populating the card with my package (or whatever) and did not do the initialization. As such, I'm still having the same problem.

Anybody know exactly what dept to talk to so I can get somebody who knows what I need? I wish I could talk to the 'next day' guy from Friday...he knew all about CC's and the S3.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:14 PM   #2183
bucklebuddy

Comcast and Video on Deman

Hey guys. New to digital TV (fought it as long as I could) and am told by Comcast that if I use a card in the TV or a Tivo box I will not be able to access their Video on Demand feature. Anyone else verify this or is there a work around?

Ben
bucklebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:21 PM   #2184
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklebuddy
Hey guys. New to digital TV (fought it as long as I could) and am told by Comcast that if I use a card in the TV or a Tivo box I will not be able to access their Video on Demand feature. Anyone else verify this or is there a work around?

Ben
Yup, that's correct.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:32 PM   #2185
geekseeker

Works for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funshop
I have had this problem on and off since I got the first S3. Even when the cards were checked and put in the Comcast head end, no permanent solution. I have gone through two S3s and now have found a temporary solution.

Go to the settings area and select Channels. Then, test the signal strength of the cable channels. Select yes to stop live recording. Then, select the channel you could not see. It will come up with no problem. Then, select Live TV.
=================================================

Thanks for this technique ...it works for me although there is a little delay in resyncing at times ...still it beats resetting and rebooting.
geekseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:34 PM   #2186
AaRdVarK3

I've posted my experience with Comcast (who just recently took over Adelphia) over here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=340628

Does anyone know where I can go from here. I'm pretty frustrated with the current state of things. I called TiVo, and they said I just need to keep pursuing it with Comcast. The biggest frustration for me is that Comcast doesn't seem to escalate the problem to somebody who could actually debug it. Instead, I just keep getting their first round of representatives or their supervisors.
AaRdVarK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:42 PM   #2187
Mike Farrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaRdVarK3
I've posted my experience with Comcast (who just recently took over Adelphia) over here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=340628

Does anyone know where I can go from here. I'm pretty frustrated with the current state of things. I called TiVo, and they said I just need to keep pursuing it with Comcast. The biggest frustration for me is that Comcast doesn't seem to escalate the problem to somebody who could actually debug it. Instead, I just keep getting their first round of representatives or their supervisors.
Sounds like line noise to me. If you're barely getting EMMs/ECMs, it sounds like the FDC (Forward Data Carrier) signal isn't getting through. Request a senior tech come out to your house and check the signal all the way out to the pedistal. I'm no expert, so don't take my opinion as gospel.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:48 PM   #2188
AaRdVarK3

Quote:
Sounds like line noise to me. If you're barely getting EMMs/ECMs, it sounds like the FDC (Forward Data Carrier) signal isn't getting through. Request a senior tech come out to your house and check the signal all the way out to the pedistal. I'm no expert, so don't take my opinion as gospel.
The problem is that their own cable box works like a champ. All signal strength indicators indicate a full strength signal. I'll keep that in mind if I can get someone with technical expertise on the phone.
AaRdVarK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:19 PM   #2189
rcr2
It's you, not me.

I've gotten no love from Comcast.

Five calls, promises that a supervisor will call me, and nothing. Emails promising to escalate to "Marketing" without any time frames or further contact info to follow up.

Well, I've filed with both the FCC and the local franchise office. I've also sent off six typed and hand-signed letters to the corporate heads, copying the FCC and their general counsel.

Let's see what happens next. I'll probably transfer my lifetime from the Series 1 to the Series 3 (still in its box, seal not broken). If Comcast comes through, I'll be able to use it until I transfer to FIOS. If comcast fails me, as I suspect they will, well, Lifetime Series 3's are going for over $1200 on eBay.

I doubt Comcast will ever get their act together.
rcr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:30 PM   #2190
Mike Farrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr2
I've gotten no love from Comcast.

Five calls, promises that a supervisor will call me, and nothing. Emails promising to escalate to "Marketing" without any time frames or further contact info to follow up.

Well, I've filed with both the FCC and the local franchise office. I've also sent off six typed and hand-signed letters to the corporate heads, copying the FCC and their general counsel.

Let's see what happens next. I'll probably transfer my lifetime from the Series 1 to the Series 3 (still in its box, seal not broken). If Comcast comes through, I'll be able to use it until I transfer to FIOS. If comcast fails me, as I suspect they will, well, Lifetime Series 3's are going for over $1200 on eBay.

I doubt Comcast will ever get their act together.
It can work, I'm proof of that. You just have to find a knowledgeable NOC engineer and call them twice a week until they're sick of hearing from you (but not so sick that they avoid your calls). Ask to have your ticket escalated to the NOC. When you find someone good, make sure you get their direct phone number. It took me 5.5 weeks to finally get my problem solved. Very frustrating indeed. If they just can't seem to get it done on their own, you should eventually ask that they escalate this to S.A. or Motorola.