TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-30-2007, 02:48 PM   #2071
Mike Farrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbins
Another poor experience from Comcast Chicago. Three visits, 11 cablecards, and no success. They keep claiming that the Host ID is invalid and cannot be entered into their system.
I was talking to an Comcast Engineer who had handled S3 CableCARD issues in the past. He was surprised that my HostIDs started with "0-350" instead of something like "0-160". He claimed that devices are authorized in their system by the range of the HostID (and make/model don't really matter). He never did solve my problem though. If they give you any grief about your HostID being invalid (not within a recognized and approved range), then have them call TiVo to verify the range.

Does anybody know what the different ranges of S3's HostID's are?
Mike Farrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:49 PM   #2072
Corran Horn

yuck, Hubbins. What part of Chicago? I'm in Wood Dale and I hope I have a better experience.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:01 PM   #2073
Brainiac 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbins
They kept claiming the host id was provisioned by Motorola and they messed up by putting the same host id on all the cablecards. WTF....
I wonder if, confused fellows that they are, they were trying to put the host ID in as the CableCARD serial number or some such thing...
Brainiac 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:02 PM   #2074
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farrington
I was talking to an Comcast Engineer who had handled S3 CableCARD issues in the past. He was surprised that my HostIDs started with "0-350" instead of something like "0-160". He claimed that devices are authorized in their system by the range of the HostID (and make/model don't really matter). He never did solve my problem though. If they give you any grief about your HostID being invalid (not within a recognized and approved range), then have them call TiVo to verify the range.

Does anybody know what the different ranges of S3's HostID's are?
From http://broadband.motorola.com/catalo...per_sept03.pdf

Host ID = EEE-FFF-GGG-HHH-c
- EEE = This is the manufacturer ID
- FFF-GGG-HHH = A unique value assigned to a Host device
- c = the Luhn digit, which is a checksum defined by the OpenCable Copy protection
specification

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:15 PM   #2075
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
He was surprised that my HostIDs started with "0-350" instead of something like "0-160".
My host IDs are 016-. According to Doug below, its the first 3 digits which give the manufacturer. I'd expect all TiVos to have the same manufacturer ID, so it doesn't sound right if yours say 035.

It might even really be invalid if they have a list of valid IDs.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #2076
Mike Farrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
My host IDs are 016-. According to Doug below, its the first 3 digits which give the manufacturer. I'd expect all TiVos to have the same manufacturer ID, so it doesn't sound right if yours say 035.

Huh... Well then. This could explain a lot of my problems. I guess I should give TiVo a call. Does anybody know who 035 belongs to?
Old 01-30-2007, 03:37 PM   #2077
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
My Host ID is 0-350-XXX-XXX-XXX.

Slightly different format over what the Motorola book shows.

(Scientific Atlanta CableCARDs are in mine)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:40 PM   #2078
edubbrulez

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubbrulez
Okay so I have one Cablecard working (CableCard Slot 1), but the other (CableCard Slot 2) doesn't appear to be setup correctly. Comcast is sending a tech Wednesday AM, and I would like to be armed with information about the situation before he arrives.

Here are my CableCard 2 Conditional Access settings:

Unit Address: 0011D0908B
000-02988-81163-098
State: CA Disabled
ECM PID: 0x0438
Component PIDs:
0x0A00 0x0A01 0X0A02
0x0000 0x0000 0x0000
Host Validation: Unknown 02
Copy Protection Key: Disabled
CCI: 0x02

In looking at CableCARD 1 conditional access settings, it appears that CableCard 2 isn't provisioned correctly in their system. Is there anything that I can do (like remove and re-insert the card and have them send another hit to it)?

Thanks for the help,

Erik
Boy seems like Comcast really doesn't want to come out to my house tomorrow AM to troubleshoot the problem. I have received three calls (one automated, the other two were the SAME person) confirming my appointment. Anyone have any idea on my CableCard Slot 2 problem?
edubbrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:48 PM   #2079
Hubbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran Horn
yuck, Hubbins. What part of Chicago? I'm in Wood Dale and I hope I have a better experience.
I'm in the city, near NW side.
Hubbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:37 PM   #2080
KevinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octagon
Yes, I sent you the tech's name in a private message. Good luck to you and I hope they get you up and running today.
No luck. Tech just left. Had 6 cards, none worked. The central office said that it was a rates problem, but one that they were unable to fix, and it had to be handled by customer service. They knew this earlier in the day but didn't bother to cancel this appointment, nor stop me from taking off a half day from work. They said a rep would call me tonight after 5 to explain the situation, and to follow up. I'm not holding my breath.

I'm packing up the Tivo tomorrow after work (have to watch Heroes tonight which it recorded last night OTA in HD).

-Kevin
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:48 PM   #2081
cjett

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1
I agree it may not be. That is how it is in my area. I have received the bill and it matches the rate card I have to a "T".
Mine as well pl1... Mine is exactly the same.

They stick new rate plans in your bills whenever they update them - so, keep an eye out for them.

Also, as others have mentioned, and what I did... let them setup the account with cable cards and the install however they want to get it done... don't distract the schedulers with "what you should be charged". Get everything working, wait for your first bill, then hammering them on the pricing.

cjett

Last edited by cjett : 01-30-2007 at 04:55 PM.
cjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:32 PM   #2082
Mike Farrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx

I spent an hour on the phone with TiVo trying to get to someone who knew whether or not "035" was a valid manufacturer code for the HostID. It turns out the "035" is valid.

I guess that there are different manufacturing codes depending on which one of TiVo's outsourcers manufactured the device.

-Mike
Old 01-31-2007, 07:13 AM   #2083
bbock727

Anyone have any luck w/ pricing in the past few days? I spoke to an executive assistant who was very nice, she escalated my problem and I was supposed to get a call back, thats the last i heard from Comcast.
bbock727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:20 PM   #2084
edubbrulez

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubbrulez
Boy seems like Comcast really doesn't want to come out to my house tomorrow AM to troubleshoot the problem. I have received three calls (one automated, the other two were the SAME person) confirming my appointment. Anyone have any idea on my CableCard Slot 2 problem?
The tech came this morning around 7:20 am to work on the CableCard slot 2 problem.

Turns out the previous tech supplied the wrong CableCard(tm) number for the CableCard in slot 2. He added an extra number. The tech was not surprised by this (nor was I - its a lot of numbers to get right). Once the tech and the person at the headend figured this out, the correction was made, and another hit was sent. Took them less than 10 minutes to fix. All is well now.

One thing that was interesting though was that the tech checked the signal strength on my line in many places (outside the house, at the wall in the living room and in the basement at the Internet connection). He spent most of the time doing this (50 minutes). Guess I can't fault him for being through. Connectors are the root of all evil...

Erik
edubbrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:29 AM   #2085
peterod33

Only a few channels work?!?

I have my TivoS3 with 2 cable cards in DC with Comcast - guided setup went fine, I added the cable cards okay, called Comcast and they sent the signal to activate the cards.

Now I can flip channels okay, but nearly all of them are blank - just a black screen.

For reasons I cannot imagine, CNN/36 works fine. I also get CNBC - but without sound! The Bloomberg channel in the hundreds works fine and all the channels between, say, 200 & 215 work great - including several HD channels. But NGC, Discovery, TNT etc - which are just above 215 - do not work.

Is this odd? They're sending a tech on Saturday but I have low expectations for that experience. Any info is most appreciated!!!

-peter
peterod33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:45 AM   #2086
azitnay

I'm having a somewhat similar experience with one of my two CableCARDs... CableCARD 1 gets all the channels I would expect it to get, but CableCARD 2 only gets a handful. I didn't think to test the sub-100 channels (I might have tested several of them and found them to be working), but I do know that it only gets one of the 100 tier of channels, and your 200 tier experience sounds like it mirrors mine (below 215, which is mostly HD locals, work, most of the rest don't). The 300 tier (HBO, Showtime, etc.) also doesn't work.

I tried to resolve it over the phone last night, but no dice... So now I have to wait for my Sunday morning service call. I'm hoping it's just a case of a faulty CableCARD, and replacement will do the trick.

Have you verified that your problem affects both CableCARDs, and not just one of them? The easiest way to do that is to use the "Test Channels" option on the CableCARD menu for each CableCARD separately.

BTW, your post seems to imply that you were able to pick up the CableCARDs and install them yourself... Is that true? I was under the impression that Comcast of DC wouldn't let you do that.

Drew

P.S. Be sure to post on how your Saturday service call experience goes. If nothing else, it'll either give me hope or dash it .
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:22 AM   #2087
peterod33

it's definitely both cards - i think i get exactly the same results

I did go pick them up from the 900 michigan ave se office - i had phoned them and argued a bit, as i was getting different answers, but they let me pick them up no problem.

we'll see how saturday goes
Old 02-01-2007, 09:49 AM   #2088
dconner

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterod33
I have my TivoS3 with 2 cable cards in DC with Comcast - guided setup went fine, I added the cable cards okay, called Comcast and they sent the signal to activate the cards.

Now I can flip channels okay, but nearly all of them are blank - just a black screen.

For reasons I cannot imagine, CNN/36 works fine. I also get CNBC - but without sound! The Bloomberg channel in the hundreds works fine and all the channels between, say, 200 & 215 work great - including several HD channels. But NGC, Discovery, TNT etc - which are just above 215 - do not work.

Is this odd? They're sending a tech on Saturday but I have low expectations for that experience. Any info is most appreciated!!!

-peter
This sounds like the standard "Magic of Washington-Area Comcast" scenario that I've been experiencing. Sounds exactly like my setup, where I get all the unencrypted analog channels (i.e., 1-100ish, except for HBO), and all the unencrypted digital channels (200-220, corresponding to the "over the air" stations and their associated digital-only channels.)

You probably have "Waiting for CP Auth" on the cablecard status screens. I've gotten the same result on each of my 5 service visits.

Hey, it sounds like you made this first attempt yourself - did they give you the cards without requiring a service visit? That'd be new.

BTW, for the second time in a row, and 5th visit overall, Comcast again lied to me about sending out a trained Comcast employee, and sent yet another clueless contractor (this one probably the most clueless of the bunch.)

I don't think the installers are really the issue, though, for whatever that's worth. When I called Comcast after the latest disaster, I think I actually got through to some halfway intelligent people, and they seem to realize that there's a configuration problem of some sort. (Early on, their assumption seemed to be that every single one of the dozen CableCards that have passed through my TiVo must be defective - an implausible deduction, I think.)

This appears to be something of a step in the right direction, though they don't yet seem to perceive the problem as a systematic one with TiVo Series 3s. They're looking at it as "why isn't this working for this individual, when it works for everyone else?" issue. I asked if any of the other people with working CableCards had TiVos, and he said yes, but I doubt that's accurate.

I'm hoping the problem *might* finally trickle up to a Comcast engineer who sees it as an engineering problem and fixes whatever it is.

Edit: Hmm, Azitnay actually is getting *some* encrypted channels on one CableCard, which seems to be highly unusual for our area. I wonder if maybe there really *is* a huge run of hundreds or thousands of SA CableCards that are defective and/or improperly configured for Comcast's system?

Does anyone know how many "head ends" there are for Comcast in the region? Is there just one for the whole area, or would they have, like, a dozen scattered around the various communities?

Last edited by dconner : 02-01-2007 at 09:56 AM.
dconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:14 AM   #2089
David_SG

I'm a Comcast subscriber in Arlington, VA. First install - cable card in slot 1 went fine - got all channels, including high def and HBO. Cable card in slot 2 was slightly problematic - didn't get a lot of the digital channels, including my HBO.

So I called and asked if they could reconfigure my second cable card remotely - they said no, and sent over another technician. Of course, all those guys did was call the tech office and somebody configured it remotely and everything worked fine - they said it was an issue of not having the correct codes.

So for one month, had flawless service - got all channels on both cards, including HD channels. Then over the past month, I've started having pixelization problems on the network HD channels - Fox, ABC, CBS, etc. The upper HD channels typically work fine, including ESPN, Discovery, TNT, and HBO, although lately I've seen some pixelization issues on HBO HD, as well as some of the standard digital channels. I called Tivo about this - they said it was probably a cable card issue. So I've got another visit from Comcast scheduled for tomorrow.

Incidentally, my pixelation problems started when I moved the Tivo from a semi-open shelf to an enclosed cabinet. I asked the Tivo technician if a lack of ventilation could be causing my problems, but he seemed quite adamant that if that was the problem, I would be experiencing it on all channels - not just a few HD channels. I will likely drill a hole in the back of my entertainment center anyway to get some more air back there.

Anyway, will keep everyone posted.
David_SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:25 PM   #2090
dconner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconner
This appears to be something of a step in the right direction, though they don't yet seem to perceive the problem as a systematic one with TiVo Series 3s. They're looking at it as "why isn't this working for this individual, when it works for everyone else?" issue. I asked if any of the other people with working CableCards had TiVos, and he said yes, but I doubt that's accurate.

I'm hoping the problem *might* finally trickle up to a Comcast engineer who sees it as an engineering problem and fixes whatever it is.
Success!!!!

I finally got in touch with a good tech in the Comcast office who called me tonight, and asked for the CableCard ID numbers and Host ID numbers. I gave him the numbers, he entered them, and suddenly I'm getting everything I'm supposed to, on both cards!

Neither he nor I is exactly sure why this didn't happen before, but it seems like it might mainly be neither the contractors nor the CSRs understanding that those numbers have to be input manually.

Dunno, but I'm just glad it's finally working!
Old 02-01-2007, 06:50 PM   #2091
Heinrich

My experience was insane and documented here there and yonder.

Cablecard 1 - worked great

Cablecard 2 - never worked except analog

HOWEVER even when Cablecard 1 worked, when "activated" analog channels looked from that point on like someone vomited on my TV screen.

Got a new Tivo series 3 manufacture date 01/15/07, plugged in both cablecards they both look great including analog channels except the CP Config screen says "WAITING CP AUTHORIZATION" and the Cablecard ID screen says "to activate call 804...xxx" I'm worried that when they are 'hit' the anlog channels will look like crap
Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:55 PM   #2092
Mike Farrington

Quote:
Success!!!!

I finally got in touch with a good tech in the Comcast office who called me tonight, and asked for the CableCard ID numbers and Host ID numbers. I gave him the numbers, he entered them, and suddenly I'm getting everything I'm supposed to, on both cards!

Neither he nor I is exactly sure why this didn't happen before, but it seems like it might mainly be neither the contractors nor the CSRs understanding that those numbers have to be input manually.

Dunno, but I'm just glad it's finally working!
Damn. I was keeping an eye on your story, hoping your success might lead to my success. I know that my problem getting CP Auth isn't that they are not entering these numbers into their system. Is there anything else you can think of that they might have done?
Old 02-01-2007, 07:07 PM   #2093
Mike Farrington

Appeal: According to Comcast, there is another person in Carroll County Maryland with an S3 who is having the same issues as me. If you're reading this, can you make yourself known here. Maybe we can pool our knowledge, or at the very least point to each other's problems whenever a TiVo engineer pulls the classic "there must be something wrong with your TiVo".
Old 02-01-2007, 07:08 PM   #2094
dconner

Quote:
Damn. I was keeping an eye on your story, hoping your success might lead to my success. I know that my problem getting CP Auth isn't that they are not entering these numbers into their system. Is there anything else you can think of that they might have done?
Looking back at your posts, maybe your Comcast guy just didn't really understand the inputs or what has to be done with them? There are two numbers (per cablecard), too, not just the Host ID. The other just has "CableCard(tm)" before the number, which is the same number of digits. Mine both begin with "0-010".

For whatever it's worth, I noticed that both pairs of numbers only differed in the last 3 digits for my cards.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:00 PM   #2095
Corran Horn

Went to the local office to pick up CC's. Even though they said they did when I called earlier in the week, today they said they don't issue cards. Tech is coming next Friday. (though they did offer tomorrow, I can't make it)
Old 02-01-2007, 08:10 PM   #2096
Mike Farrington

Quote:
Looking back at your posts, maybe your Comcast guy just didn't really understand the inputs or what has to be done with them? There are two numbers (per cablecard), too, not just the Host ID. The other just has "CableCard(tm)" before the number, which is the same number of digits. Mine both begin with "0-010".

For whatever it's worth, I noticed that both pairs of numbers only differed in the last 3 digits for my cards.
Yes, the HostID hardly differs between slot1 and slot2. Trust me, they had the numbers. I sat with the guys through 2 contractor visits and 3 lead techs. I also spent countless hours on the phone over the past month with CSRs and NOC engineers. I've heard and read of the HostIDs so many times that I've just about memorized them.

Did they mention anything about changing your rate codes? Did they have you verify anything odd, like perhaps the MAC address?
Old 02-01-2007, 09:29 PM   #2097
dconner

Ah, OK, I didn't understand how thoroughly you'd been through all that. No, it was all remarkably straightforward once I was actually talking to a real technician. The call probably took a total of 5 minutes, and he didn't ask for anything other than the four Host ID and (serial? What is the "first" number, exactly?) numbers.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:11 PM   #2098
David_SG

Update on my pixelization issue if anyone is interested. Comcast technician came over today. Of course, all my channels were operating flawlessly at the time, so he said he really couldn't do anything unless he saw the pixelization in person. But he did measure my signal, and said it was considerably stronger than it should be, and that might be causing my issues. So he was going to check with his boss to see if they could adjust it. He also said he could come back and swap out all the coax in my apartment - figure it couldn't hurt. And he's going to install a cable card directly in my TV as well so at least I will be able to tell if it is a general signal problem into my apartment or if it is a cable card / tivo problem.
David_SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:59 PM   #2099
peterod33

Big Grin Washington DC Comcast Cablecard Success!

I live in Washington, DC - after having no luck on the phone with the office, a terrific "in house" (Comcast employee, not a contractor) named Garry came out today.

He got the right lady on the phone - Miss Debra - she's the only one, I'm told, who knows how to do cable cards. She sent the right series of hits and activations and everything works perfectly now!

I don't get UniversalHD for some reason, but that's okay - everything on there sucks anyways

If you live in DC - not the DC area, but the former "District Cablevision" Comcast DC - make sure you get Debra!

-peter
Old 02-03-2007, 02:02 PM   #2100
rcr2
It's you, not me.

Comcast has no cards

I've also called today and Comcast is saying they have no cards and have no idea when they will have them.

They said that they had a problem with them being too hard to update and are looking for a new manufacturer, so they won't give you a cable card even if they had one.

Being that I just bought the Series 3, after calling Comcast last week to be sure they would provide me with two cablecards, I'm going to end up just sending the thing back, I fear.
rcr2 is offline   Reply With Quote