TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-25-2007, 05:43 PM   #2011
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by srw69
I went on his rant about how I'm going to lose on-demand and p.p.v. I politely told him that I understand but still want to proceed:
I didn't have that problem. My town's system doesn't have enough bandwidth to support OnDemand (supposed to be upgraded to 1GHz this year).
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:04 PM   #2012
aaronwt
HD Addict

Anyone have any billing problems. I just got my second bill. My first bill was 1.5 months and they charged me around $120 including internet. My second bill was for only one month and they tried to charge me $180. And this is after I paid my last bill and then set up the monthly recurring payment and they took that money again. After half an hour on the phone it's supposedly straightened out. My monthly bill is supposed to be around $92 but I'll have to wait another month to see if everything is correct. And billing was one of the main reasons I left Comcast 14 months ago. I guess those things never change. I just hope I don't have to go through this every month. Who knows what's going to happen when they get the digital phone service in my area in a couple of months. I'm afraid of what will happen when I get that.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:50 PM   #2013
beckerbein

Also had a primarily trouble-free install. The appt was 11-1, the tech showed up about an hour early (after calling first to confirm that was OK). First cable card was a bit troublesome, but was resolved in under 10 minutes. Second one was problem free. He verified both tuners could view HD content & subscription channels but didnt wait for the Tivo to dnload the new channel listings & rebuild the index (apparently Verizon techs wait the few hours for that to occur). The whole process took less than a half hour, he actually finished prior to the start of the official appt.

Havent gotten my first bill yet, but Im sure its going to have at least one error and one nasty surprise that I'll have to live with....such is the nature of Comcast's horrifically poor customer service.
beckerbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:04 PM   #2014
swampass2

Another successful Comcast install

Comcast contractor came today to install the CableCards. I asked him if he had done it before, and he said "only once". I said that people have been talking about the difficulties of getting the cards installed and he said it was a bit of a pain the first time that he had done it, and that it took him an hour.

Anyway, the first thing he asked me was if I had Tivo's instructions for installing the cards. I was happily surprised that a) he knew about the instructions and b) he cared about following them to a T. He did complain that you couldn't just pop both cards in at the same time, but he acknowledged that it was the only way to get it going properly. Took him 15 minutes to get the first card working.

Second card was more of a problem. The first one he tried didn't work, so he had to call back in to unregister the first one and register a different one. This was the most troublesome part of the whole thing because the guy he talked to on the phone insisted that it wasn't his department and transferred him to another department who promptly told him to call the first guy back. I thought it was funny that a Comcast contractor would actually get an ignorant runaround from other Comcast employees. In all, it took about 25 minutes for the second card. He did a quick run through a few channels and then asked me if he could have my copy of the Tivo install instructions. I made a copy for him and he left. Real friendly guy.

After he left, I went straight to the HD channels and noticed that I wasn't getting most of them. I should have insisted that we run through every channel, but I wussed out. I called Comcast and they were super nice about it. They tried to get a tech back out today, but then called back to say that it would have to be tomorrow. Turned out it was my fault anyway. I was running my cable through 4 splitters and two surge suppressors before it got to the Tivo. Had to switch the order of the splitters (higher bandwidth ones first) and take the redundant surge suppressor out of the chain to solve the problem. Wasn't a Comcast issue or a Tivo issue or a CableCard issue. So I canceled tomorrow's appointment.
swampass2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:41 PM   #2015
BoyScout

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
Anyone have any billing problems. I just got my second bill. My first bill was 1.5 months and they charged me around $120 including internet. My second bill was for only one month and they tried to charge me $180. And this is after I paid my last bill and then set up the monthly recurring payment and they took that money again. After half an hour on the phone it's supposedly straightened out. My monthly bill is supposed to be around $92 but I'll have to wait another month to see if everything is correct. And billing was one of the main reasons I left Comcast 14 months ago. I guess those things never change. I just hope I don't have to go through this every month. Who knows what's going to happen when they get the digital phone service in my area in a couple of months. I'm afraid of what will happen when I get that.
When I ordered the service, I was quoted $133.94 which included cable, internet and phone all equipment, everything. I asked three times if that was the absolute total, and received an emphatic yes it was.

I added a DVR and another outlet after the installation. That should have totalled $150.60 per month. I got my cable bill yesterday and it was $187.84. Seems the original order taker did not include taxes, surcharges, connectivity fee, modem fee (for internet), and they were charging me for a second DVR that was substituted for the HD receiver they didn't have (I have 4 outlets and 3 TiVos).

I told her that was a HUGE difference between what I was quoted and what I received. She credited me the difference between what I was quoted and what I was billed for one month and said that I will have to decide whether to keep it within 30 days, and the monthly would be around $180 (a small credit for the substituted DVR).

This is supposed to be a great deal over what I had which was Dish for about $92/month, Earthlink at $42, and Qwest for $51. I had been paying $185 all told. Comcast will go up by another $50 at the end of one year so I will be paying $230 for all three services (if the rates don't go up in July (fat chance)).

Yes, I am getting service for my S3 and faster Internet and an additional premium channel that I didn't have with Dish, but I've got to decide if it is worth the extra $45/month. I believe I can cancel the 2nd premium channel and save $14.

I guess an extra $30 a month isn't TOO hard to swallow, but I was expecting so much more for about the same cost, even after the year deal.
BoyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:46 PM   #2016
Scooter80

I got my cards installed today. Chicago area Comcast. Specifically the McHenry Franchise.

Each card: Purchase/Install fee $23.99 each.
Subscription fee is free for the first card and $1.50 for the second per month.
Truck was already coming for HD upgrade and a HDDVR in another room, and they charged $17.99 for the "change of service fee". Basically, I guess that would be what others have called the "truck" fee.

Not bad, and will be well worth it. My Antenna is pretty spotty all the way in the far-north burbs, so I would record HD off the antenna and simultaneously record the cable feed for the same show at the same time. Pain in the hoohaa to program and uses too much disk space. Now I can rely solely on the more reliable cable HD feed.
Scooter80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:15 AM   #2017
myosh_tino

Install experience and a note for former AT&T Broadband customers

Got my CableCards installed on Jan 24th. Tech arrived around 9:00am and was done by 9:45am. When testing the cable cards he had me tune the cards to our local Fox affiliate (KTVU-Ch2) and their corresponding HD channels and everything seemed to be OK.

After the tech left, I did some further testing and found out that I couldn't receive any of the digital channels (channels above 100) except for local HD . What I found out from the Comcast CSR was I was on a grandfathered digital cable package which I ordered from AT&T Broadband. The problem was these ATTBI packages aren't understood by the CableCards and the only solution was to transition into one of Comcast's current packages. I did get a pleasant surprise when the CSR told me my cable bill would be going down from $78 to around $72 a month

Installation was $15.99, first CableCard is free, second CableCard is $1.50/mo. Tech was also able to take back my old General Instruments digital cable STB saving me a trip to my local office. BTW, if I were to keep my cable box, then the rental for that is $6/mo. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area near San Jose.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:40 PM   #2018
Octagon

Just Got My Series Three...Now the pain begins...

Just got my Tivo Series Three. Comcast came out and brought two blue SA cards (Model PKM600).
CARD1 DATESTAMP: 05/20/2006
CARD2 DATESTAMP: 08/11/2006

The installer was nice and read throught the guided setup instructions. He installed CARD1 in the bottom slot and called the office. They seemed unsure of what to do but attempted to send it a signal. None of the digital feeds came through but I was getting some of the analog feeds. At this point the guy at the main office forced the tech to put in the other card even though the first card was not working. (Me and the installer both told the tech we needed to do card1 first but he insisted we put in the other card. Soooo the installer put in the second card and we got the 'installing firmware upgrade please wait' screen).

After about an HOUR of this message, the tech on the phone said we would have to call him back when it was done updating firmware. The firmware update just looped though and restarted again after the first HOUR. The tech left and told me to see what happens and call him on his cell with the status.

After 3 more hours of the firmware install looping, I removed the 2nd card. I rebooted back to the first card and called the local office. After talking to three different people I still only have analog feeds.

Status screen:

AUTH STATUS: CP AUTH RECEIVED
Decryption Status: No ECM's detected
POWERKEY STATUS: READY

I checked my channels but still no go on anything other than analog stations. I asked the tech if she had me listed as having HD, DIGITAL, and PAY feeds and she said they did. I ran a software reset and reran guided setup.

Still no digital/hd/pay feeds.

Meanwhile, I called the original tech back on his cell and gave him an update. He will be coming back out on Tuesday with new cards. I will continue to deal with the office later tonight though, just in case.

So to sum things up, day one with comcast was a total failure. But I am going to keep trying, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by Octagon : 01-27-2007 at 06:46 PM.
Octagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:08 PM   #2019
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octagon
Just got my Tivo Series Three. Comcast came out and brought two blue SA cards (Model PKM600).
CARD1 DATESTAMP: 05/20/2006
CARD2 DATESTAMP: 08/11/2006

The installer was nice and read throught the guided setup instructions. He installed CARD1 in the bottom slot and called the office. They seemed unsure of what to do but attempted to send it a signal. None of the digital feeds came through but I was getting some of the analog feeds. At this point the guy at the main office forced the tech to put in the other card even though the first card was not working. (Me and the installer both told the tech we needed to do card1 first but he insisted we put in the other card. Soooo the installer put in the second card and we got the 'installing firmware upgrade please wait' screen).

After about an HOUR of this message, the tech on the phone said we would have to call him back when it was done updating firmware. The firmware update just looped though and restarted again after the first HOUR. The tech left and told me to see what happens and call him on his cell with the status.

After 3 more hours of the firmware install looping, I removed the 2nd card. I rebooted back to the first card and called the local office. After talking to three different people I still only have analog feeds.

Status screen:

AUTH STATUS: CP AUTH RECEIVED
Decryption Status: No ECM's detected
POWERKEY STATUS: READY

I checked my channels but still no go on anything other than analog stations. I asked the tech if she had me listed as having HD, DIGITAL, and PAY feeds and she said they did. I ran a software reset and reran guided setup.

Still no digital/hd/pay feeds.

Meanwhile, I called the original tech back on his cell and gave him an update. He will be coming back out on Tuesday with new cards. I will continue to deal with the office later tonight though, just in case.

So to sum things up, day one with comcast was a total failure. But I am going to keep trying, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Keep trying is my only suggestion, and you were already there.

Frankly, I'm on the fence with who sucks here more, Comcast or TiVo.

But once it works, it's pretty sweet.

Except when your low signal strength makes you lose your HD shows (or chunks of them, anyway).
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:36 PM   #2020
Octagon

Still trying

Because I am a glutton for punishment and tired of being on the phone for the last 8 hours with comcast. I decided to try some other things with my new tivo.

The first thing I tried is putting the 2nd (probably bad) card back in slot 2 for another fun and exciting try at the 'firmware update'.

[ SIDE NOTE ]

Why in the world does it take 40-120 minutes to do a firmware update on a CC when I can stream HIDEF on demand stuff through the same pipe. I cant imagine the firmware file is very large... sigh....

[ OFF SOAPBOX ]

Now, I don't have any glorious delusions about the firmware update actually working this time, but I needed time to buy some extra beer before talking to the comcast drones at the main office later tonight.

I just rechecked my CP screen for card one, and the settings seem to have magically improved, now:

Auth Status: CP Auth Received
Decryption status: OK
Powerkey status: Ready

* Still no HD/DIGITAL/PAY channels but at least the CP screen has improved

Anyhow, even though my signal strength numbers are healthy, I am going to try to bypass the 'belkin pure av' and the splitter on the main cable next to see if that helps in any way. I am also going to connect component cables in case there is some issue with the HDMI output.

I will send more information if anything changes. As always, any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited by Octagon : 01-27-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:04 PM   #2021
Mike Farrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octagon
Because I am a glutton for punishment and tired of being on the phone for the last 8 hours with comcast. I decided to try some other things with my new tivo.

The first thing I tried is putting the 2nd (probably bad) card back in slot 2 for another fun and exciting try at the 'firmware update'.

[ SIDE NOTE ]

Why in the world does it take 40-120 minutes to do a firmware update on a CC when I can stream HIDEF on demand stuff through the same pipe. I cant imagine the firmware file is very large... sigh....

[ OFF SOAPBOX ]

Now, I don't have any glorious delusions about the firmware update actually working this time, but I needed time to buy some extra beer before talking to the comcast drones at the main office later tonight.

I just rechecked my CP screen for card one, and the settings seem to have magically improved, now:

Auth Status: CP Auth Received
Decryption status: OK
Powerkey status: Ready

* Still no HD/DIGITAL/PAY channels but at least the CP screen has improved

Anyhow, even though my signal strength numbers are healthy, I am going to try to bypass the 'belkin pure av' and the splitter on the main cable next to see if that helps in any way. I am also going to connect component cables in case there is some issue with the HDMI output.

I will send more information if anything changes. As always, any suggestions are appreciated.
If you've got "CP Auth Received", but you aren't getting your premiums, then it's probably a "rates issue". Call a Comcast CSR and have them check your rate codes. You're one step closer than I am. It's been almost 3 weeks, and I still just get "Waiting For CP Auth".
Mike Farrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:43 AM   #2022
myosh_tino

Hi Octagon

When you ordered your cable service was Comcast your provider or did Comcast buy/merge with another cable company? If so, then I agree with Mike that it's probably a "rate code" problem.

When I had my cable cards installed, I couldn't get any digital channels. The reason for this was because I was on a grandfathered AT&T Broadband digital cable package. After getting me switched over to a Comcast cable package, the CSR had to hit the cards again to get them working.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:22 AM   #2023
dconner

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampass2
Second card was more of a problem. The first one he tried didn't work, so he had to call back in to unregister the first one and register a different one. This was the most troublesome part of the whole thing because the guy he talked to on the phone insisted that it wasn't his department and transferred him to another department who promptly told him to call the first guy back. I thought it was funny that a Comcast contractor would actually get an ignorant runaround from other Comcast employees. In all, it took about 25 minutes for the second card. He did a quick run through a few channels and then asked me if he could have my copy of the Tivo install instructions. I made a copy for him and he left. Real friendly guy.
In my experience, this seems to be the number one biggest problem at Comcast - the contractor "home office support line" is just as awful for them as regular customer service is for us.

My working theory is that the only way a successful CableCard installation can happen is with a smart, experienced Comcast employee tech who "knows someone." I.e., a guy who knows all the backchannel lines of communication you have to use to really get things done, as opposed to the trained chimps who are theoretically supposed to handle everything.

I've got Visit #4 scheduled for tomorrow, supposedly with a good, knowledgeable Comcast tech (which I hope is actually true, but still wouldn't be surprised to get a 19-year-old non-English speaking contractor.) We'll see....
dconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:24 AM   #2024
Mike Farrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosh_tino
When I had my cable cards installed, I couldn't get any digital channels. The reason for this was because I was on a grandfathered AT&T Broadband digital cable package. After getting me switched over to a Comcast cable package, the CSR had to hit the cards again to get them working.
Were you able to get "CP Auth Received" right away? I am in an area that very recently switched over from Adelphia to Comcast. I'm just wondering if rates play any role in "CP Auth", or just with the individual ECMs to decrypt channels. When talking on the phone, my rates codes still say "Adelphia" in their title. But CSRs and some techs assured me that it wouldn't have any bearing on getting my channels.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:50 AM   #2025
aaronwt
HD Addict

When mine showed that but I couldn't get the premiums the only thing that fixed it was a signal being sent from the head end. Not from the CSR you call but from a tech that was at the head end to input the info. Once that was done everything came up properly. The rate codes had nothing to do with it in my situation. But I also knew everything else was fine since I had 5 other cable cards that were receiving the proper channels.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:35 AM   #2026
gbrown

Exclamation <<< --- NEWBIES PLEASE READ --->>>

What you should groc from this thread is one important fact.

DON'T SIGN THE WORK ORDER or LET THE INSTALLER LEAVE UNTIL YOU GET ALL CHANNELS ON BOTH CARDS

My installer tried to leave and I refused to sign anything. When both cards worked meaning downloading the channel lineup and viewing a couple at randon(about 40 minutes total time on Internet connect), I signed the work order and gave them a tip.

Everyone was happy.
gbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:40 PM   #2027
myosh_tino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farrington
Were you able to get "CP Auth Received" right away? I am in an area that very recently switched over from Adelphia to Comcast. I'm just wondering if rates play any role in "CP Auth", or just with the individual ECMs to decrypt channels. When talking on the phone, my rates codes still say "Adelphia" in their title. But CSRs and some techs assured me that it wouldn't have any bearing on getting my channels.
It's entirely possible that rate codes may not be an issue in your case because, according to you, your switch was fairly recent. Comcast bought out AT&T Broadband at least 3 years ago and I've had my grandfathered digital cable package for at least 5 years total. The Comcast CSR told me I was on a grandfathered package and she did say that the rate code is definitely an issue in my case. She also told me the Comcast techs would have to "hit" my cable cards again as well as send an initialization signal.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:24 PM   #2028
Octagon

Comcast

Well a bunch of years ago I was under 'Garden State Cable' and they were bought by Comcast. I called several times last night and they seem to have a new speech for cable card customers now:

"We currently have no way to troubleshoot cable cards because they are one way devices. We have no other information on how to troubleshoot them other then sending out a tech to your home."

I got this same speech from three differnet csr's last night, almost word for word.

Needless to say, I still have one card that loops forever in 'Firmware upgrade' and another that looks good on the status screen but still no encrypted feeds.

I will try calling one more time tonight and just mention I used to be under 'Garden State Cable' and see if that helps. Also, the original tech is coming back out on Tuesday with 2-4 additional cards to try.

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:11 AM   #2029
KevinG

Seems like Octagon is in the same boat as me. I'm also on "Garden State" Comcast.
Appointment was for Saturday between 2 and 5. Tech shows up at 4:30 with 4 SA CableCards.

He left at 8:30. With all four cable cards. It was a complete cluster f(iretr)uck.

I now have a Tuesday appointment (tomorrow) between 4 and 6. Comcast is sending a "Comcast Supervisor" with 2 brand new cards.

I won't even go into the details of what happened, but here are a few snippits:
"Wait at least 45 minutes for the card to update it's firmware" (we waited an hour)
"Oh, wow, you can't use that card, it's in status code 'J'" (It was a stolen card)
"Nope, you can't use that card, it currently assigned to someone else's account."

There were "rate issues" as well... I'm considering giving up, sending back the Series 3, and suffering through the hell that is the 8300 explorer.
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:25 AM   #2030
Mike Farrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG
I'm considering giving up, sending back the Series 3, and suffering through the hell that is the 8300 explorer.
And just let the cable company win? Screw that. Make the cable company pay. Have them come out 5, 10, 15 times. What ever it takes. Beat them into submission. Make it cost them big money to get things working as it is supposed to.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:40 AM   #2031
dconner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconner
I've got Visit #4 scheduled for tomorrow, supposedly with a good, knowledgeable Comcast tech (which I hope is actually true, but still wouldn't be surprised to get a 19-year-old non-English speaking contractor.) We'll see....
Well, anyone want to take a guess on who showed up at my door today?

Yes, yet another contractor, one who'd never seen a CableCard before, and who was sent out without any CableCards to install! And I'm missing work for this....
Old 01-29-2007, 09:47 AM   #2032
HORUS

I live in Jersey and recognize "Garden State" as home territory, but I don't know what Comcast customer would be considered former "Garden State" ones. I'm a Comcast customer in Jersey, 'Monmouth County', And I'm going on a little over a week trying to get CC for my recently purchased Series 3. The story I've been told is that they have been back ordered for a couple months now and that the SA cards they were trying to use are defective and they are waiting on a new batch from SA to fix the problem they've had. I've had two reps place me on a wait list, Assuming it's their own personal wait list because the second CSR didn't see my name on the first. I had one rep. inform me that they hoped to have the CC's in stock sometime this year. I'm curious what county you live in-in Jersey where you seem to be having techs come out with cable cards-where my CSR's are telling me they are non-existent.
HORUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:38 AM   #2033
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORUS
I live in Jersey and recognize "Garden State" as home territory, but I don't know what Comcast customer would be considered former "Garden State" ones. I'm a Comcast customer in Jersey, 'Monmouth County', And I'm going on a little over a week trying to get CC for my recently purchased Series 3. The story I've been told is that they have been back ordered for a couple months now and that the SA cards they were trying to use are defective and they are waiting on a new batch from SA to fix the problem they've had. I've had two reps place me on a wait list, Assuming it's their own personal wait list because the second CSR didn't see my name on the first. I had one rep. inform me that they hoped to have the CC's in stock sometime this year. I'm curious what county you live in-in Jersey where you seem to be having techs come out with cable cards-where my CSR's are telling me they are non-existent.
I'm serviced by Comcast/Monmouth County. I heard that spiel from the guy who did my install Thursday before last, so I called back up after he was done and the rep scheduled another tech to come out the following Monday and he brought two SA CableCARDS. (That they could only get one working and even that one has since occasionally stopped working, and that they screwed up my internet and digital phone service for going on a whole week now and still can't seem to unclusterf*ck themselves about it is beside the point). They have them. There just seems to be a level of techs who are spouting some sort of denial about it, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:34 PM   #2034
KevinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farrington
And just let the cable company win? Screw that. Make the cable company pay. Have them come out 5, 10, 15 times. What ever it takes. Beat them into submission. Make it cost them big money to get things working as it is supposed to.
Well, DELL has a 21 day return policy (from the day the order was placed), and TIVO wants me to subscribe within a week (only a few days left, at this point). As much as I want Comcast to "pay", it's my $600 on the line... Besides, they clearly are in the drivers seat here when it comes to who has to "pay" in the long run...they are still completely unable to tell me what the specific fees will be related to adding another outlet, and 2 cable cards.

I'm in Mount Laurel, if it matters any. But, I specifically asked if there were Motorola cards, and the response was, "No, not in your area. We only use SA."

I'm not expecting much for tomorrow night, and I've already alerted DELL that I may need an RMA and they have sent me the information on how to formally request one.

Worst comes to worst, I send this one back (I only pay shipping), and get another one when Comcast has figured out WTF is going on.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:37 PM   #2035
jeffsinsfo

The problem with that plan is that you'll have no way of knowing when Comcast has finally figured out WTF is going on. In my case (documented pages above), it took several appointments before Comast got things working. I actually think that the first two cable cards they installed would have worked fine if only the staff in their office knew what they were doing when authorizing cable cards. It finally took a tech supervisor in my home speaking with a seasoned rep in their office to make things work.

I, too, was tempted just to return my Series 3 given my hassles with Comcast, but now I'm glad that I kept forcing Comcast to come back to my house until they got things working properly because I really like the improved picture quality over my Series 2 (not to mention the dual tuners). I knew that the high def channels would look much better but I didn't anticipate how much better every channel would look on the Series 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG
Worst comes to worst, I send this one back (I only pay shipping), and get another one when Comcast has figured out WTF is going on.

jeffsinsfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:20 PM   #2036
KevinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsinsfo
The problem with that plan is that you'll have no way of knowing when Comcast has finally figured out WTF is going on.
Well, I can at least rely on this forum topic.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:54 PM   #2037
dconner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconner
Well, anyone want to take a guess on who showed up at my door today?

Yes, yet another contractor, one who'd never seen a CableCard before, and who was sent out without any CableCards to install! And I'm missing work for this....
GODDAMMIT!!!!!!!

So after they send a completely unqualified, unequipped contractor for Visit #4, I reschedule Visit #5. Good news, they can give me same-day service! At some unspecified time during the convenient 11AM to 8 PM window! So I tell them, fine, I'll be here all day, except that I have a 4:00 doctor's appointment that I absolutely cannot reschedule, but any other time....

And of course, they showed up at my unanswered door at 4:00 on the dot. So Comcast has wasted an entire work day for me, and I get to play Comcast Roulette again on Wednesday evening between 5PM and 8PM.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:24 PM   #2038
edubbrulez

Okay so I have one Cablecard working (CableCard Slot 1), but the other (CableCard Slot 2) doesn't appear to be setup correctly. Comcast is sending a tech Wednesday AM, and I would like to be armed with information about the situation before he arrives.

Here are my CableCard 2 Conditional Access settings:

Unit Address: 0011D0908B
000-02988-81163-098
State: CA Disabled
ECM PID: 0x0438
Component PIDs:
0x0A00 0x0A01 0X0A02
0x0000 0x0000 0x0000
Host Validation: Unknown 02
Copy Protection Key: Disabled
CCI: 0x02

In looking at CableCARD 1 conditional access settings, it appears that CableCard 2 isn't provisioned correctly in their system. Is there anything that I can do (like remove and re-insert the card and have them send another hit to it)?

Thanks for the help,

Erik
edubbrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:55 PM   #2039
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I've not really detailed what sort of mess Comcast has made of my new service install, but today, after they've had a 7-day-old open ticket for repairing their screwing up my internet and phone service when installing the 2 CableCARDs (one of which doesn't work and the other usually works but doesn't sometimes and when it doesn't it'll work again after the unit is rebooted) and absolutely no progress and no info when I call, and nothing ever changes, I faxed off a letter to corporate detailing it all today, so we'll see if I get any sort of response tomorrow.

I'm really trying to give them the benefit of the doubt here, and a chance to get their act together, but I'm so ready to roast them over the coals right now. It's just amazing how poor their tech support is and once things are escalated you lose complete access to any sort of info about what's going on.

About the only improvement I've noticed sicne I gave Comcast a chance just with internet a couple years ago is that I no longer wait on hold much at all; I get a rep very quickly everytime I call. That the rep is incapable of actually fixing anything is another matter, though. One step at a time...

Edited to add: Apparently either the fax worked or just coincidentally my internet connection is apparently being worked on because I'm seeing the modem get rebooted a lot and intermittently things can actually connect to the internet via that connection, so maybe there's some light shining at the end of the tunnel... Hopefully I'll actually get a progress report sometime tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dswallow : 01-29-2007 at 11:10 PM.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:11 AM   #2040
cjett

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargen
Re: Comcast in Nashville TN

The Good News: Picked up 2 cablecards yesterday and lucked into an easy, no issues self install.

The Bad News: Just reviewed my bill via phone. They are charging me $6.95 for EACH of the cablecards in my Tivo Series3. I tried to challenge them with "I thought the first one was free and the second one $1.50 per month" because they are both in the same Tivo device.

No dice. I was told that I if I wanted to receive only hi-def channels and no digital channels, then both cards would be FREE, but if I wanted to receive my other 150+/- digital channels, then cost is $6.95 x 2 = $13.90 per month.

I asked for an explanation in writing or direction to a page on their Comcast website, but they couldn't/wouldn't. I waited 10 minutes, called in again and received the exact same explanation from the next rep.

Reading through this thread, I glean that Comcast pricing is all over the map with no national uniformity whatsoever. Does anybody know an appeal route for me to try?

I sure wish this forum had a tool to enable thread searches like avsforum.

You should have received a rate plan in your bill. If not, get one by stopping into the local shop. They MUST provide a written rate plan upon request... it's part of their rate disclosure laws. This rate plan must provide a rate for Cable Cards (their offering them), and if you're lucky, it will also contain a line about a "Dual-tuner, non-comcast DVR". If it contains the latter, you're in good shape... just hammer them on it, and escalate until you get someone who will listen - I forced the 3rd "supervisor" to call accounting and have them explain that line on the rate plan... she came back on after phoning them and apologized.

Even if that "dual-tuner..." line is not in your rate plan... I think you are overpaying for the cable cards. If I recall correctly, the first one is free, the second is a 6.95 digital (maybe it's called enhanced???) outlet fee.

cjett
cjett is offline   Reply With Quote