TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-21-2007, 08:28 PM   #1981
subat0mic

Cool got my bill, here's what's on it

-> got my bill, here's what's on it for my 2 cable cards

$1.50 per month charge for "Tivo service" (they really have tivo listed on my bill, funny!)
- and all the other crap for the 3 package deal with phone, internet, cable.

no additional outlet charges, no HD charges.

the funny thing is that I just noticed the contractor stole my old surfboard modem that I owned. probably thought we were renting it when he was upgrading us to phone service...... so now we're charged $3 a month for the new modem and don't have the old modem to sell...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by subat0mic : 01-21-2007 at 08:35 PM.
subat0mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:54 PM   #1982
kosherbacon

finally got my digital cable straighened out, finally. Took 12 calls to Comcast and 4 site visits. I HIGHLY recommend calling the executive assistants. The professionalism, level of expertise, and ownership of your issues is the polar opposite of the 800-COMCAST folks.

Call them 215-665-1700

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kosherbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:04 PM   #1983
Mike Farrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosherbacon
finally got my digital cable straighened out, finally. Took 12 calls to Comcast and 4 site visits. I HIGHLY recommend calling the executive assistants. The professionalism, level of expertise, and ownership of your issues is the polar opposite of the 800-COMCAST folks.

Call them 215-665-1700
Is that number for customers nationwide?
Mike Farrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:29 PM   #1984
lkinley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farrington
Without any digitals or premium content, it might be hard to tell if your CableCARDs are working 100%. You might be disappointed when it comes times to watch your sports.

I've been getting analogs and HD locals just fine for weeks, my big problem is getting authenticated for digitals and premiums.
I think they are working fine, as my entire lineup is digital on the S3. This is verified by checking the channel status (QAM256) and the fact that all my recordings make no mention of a quality setting.

I have everything I want, no complaints here. It was nice to watch the AFC and NFC championship games today TiVo-style in HD!

-Lance
lkinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:31 PM   #1985
lkinley

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
All six of my Cable cards allowed me to watch the local HD and analog channels within two minutes of installing them in the S3. A couple did ahve a problem with showing the other unencrypted HD channels like ESPN, Discovery HD and CSNHD. That problem was corrected one they entered the proper info at the head end.
I cannot find a single analog channel in my lineup... I think they are working just fine.

-Lance
lkinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:09 AM   #1986
dconner

I'm really not sure what to do anymore. After three service visits (plus waiting around fruitlessly for one Comcast no-show), there's no sign that anything anybody has done has had the slightest effect. According to Comcast's system, the SA CableCards are showing all the responses they're supposed to. According to *my* system, the CableCards are doing precisely nothing, and all encrypted channels are non-viewable.

I have a feeling I could keep arranging service visits for the rest of my life, and every one would have exactly the same result.

Maybe I should just keep badgering them to send an actual competent professional, and hope that happens eventually? Any tips on how to increase the chances of that happening?
dconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:57 AM   #1987
kosherbacon

I wrote: Call them 215-665-1700

Quote:
The number is a local Philadelphia number, but that's where Comcast is based. I think that it is a nationwide number, but I could be wrong. read back through this thread--I got the number earlier in this thread and i think that the implication was that it was nationwide.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:14 AM   #1988
kosherbacon

Quote:
PS--They are so professional and knowledgeable at that number, I'm sure that they will be able to find a local number for you if they can only serve the Philadelphia metro area.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:55 PM   #1989
cluemeister

Resolution!

Summary: NH area. I called on Dec. 26th, and have waited 27 days for the cards.

Today a tech showed up (the cablecard guy was sick), and installed his first cablecards. Put in two at once, and then had to back up and do one at a time.

Had to check the line, and then call back in. Got a more knowledgeable rep, and was walked through it.

6 hours later, I have all my channels, and two successful cablecards!
cluemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:30 PM   #1990
Espo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluemeister

Today a tech showed up (the cablecard guy was sick), and installed his first cablecards. Put in two at once, and then had to back up and do one at a time.

Had to check the line, and then call back in. Got a more knowledgeable rep, and was walked through it.

Dont get too happy yet. If they're using SA cards, chances are that 1 of them will fail within the next couple of days.
Espo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:32 PM   #1991
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluemeister

Hmmm... I'm also in the southern NH area. I originally had an install for 1/9/2007, but the Adelphia/Comcast installer said that they were out of them due to some sort of "recall". I just called 800-COMCAST to reschedule an appointment, and the computer wouldn't let the CSR set an appointment, leading her to believe that they're still out of stock. So, my 3-week old S3 remains SD-only....
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:19 AM   #1992
jjamezz
self-proclaimedIdiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconner
I'm really not sure what to do anymore. After three service visits (plus waiting around fruitlessly for one Comcast no-show), there's no sign that anything anybody has done has had the slightest effect. According to Comcast's system, the SA CableCards are showing all the responses they're supposed to. According to *my* system, the CableCards are doing precisely nothing, and all encrypted channels are non-viewable.

I have a feeling I could keep arranging service visits for the rest of my life, and every one would have exactly the same result.

Maybe I should just keep badgering them to send an actual competent professional, and hope that happens eventually? Any tips on how to increase the chances of that happening?
Mr. Dconner...

This sounds like you have an identical problem I detailed in an earlier post... MY SOLUTION was carried out by a contract-installer that visited my home, identified that all cable cards (CC's) were functioning identically (in that they would not receive several scrambled channels - not all like you are experiencing... but keep reading, perhaps it's the same cause & solution)...

On recognizing that the behavior was identical on all 4 CC's and that that behavior was therefore very unlikely to be caused by FOUR IDENTICAL MALFUNCTIONS as the CSR had ASS-U-MEd.... he called the head end and spoke with a person knowlegable on the types of encryption in use & the settings involved.

Each channel can be encrypted with any number of different 'standards-based methods'... per my second hand listening in...

The guy on the 'head-end' asked which channels were having problems & also requested if there were any specific scrambled/encrypted channels that WERE working...

The 'head-end' guy then changed the encryption standard/settings being used to send out one of the channels that I could not receive... on doing this, that channel was almost immediately coming in clearly. He repeated this on the remaining channels & all were 'better.'

The contract-installer/technician stated (after ending his call) that he was lucky to contact a guy 'with a clue' because that guy had worked with him in the field previously...

... further, he stated that the CCs are not able to decode/decrypt all the standards of scrambling / encryption that the STBs (set top boxes) can... and that the head-end tech would be making it known which standards to avoid throughout our area

I hope this helps you out in Northern VA!!

All the best from out West -- "UTAH CHAPTER!" (movie line anyone?)

JJ - near SLC Utah
jjamezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:35 AM   #1993
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1
Interesting. Thanks. I hope someone makes an issue with the authorities over this.
Figure if you don't, very few people will. If very few people do, then authorities won't care. And I say that without even focusing on what you're actually referring to -- it wouldn't matter.

bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:35 AM   #1994
dconner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjamezz
The 'head-end' guy then changed the encryption standard/settings being used to send out one of the channels that I could not receive... on doing this, that channel was almost immediately coming in clearly. He repeated this on the remaining channels & all were 'better.'

The contract-installer/technician stated (after ending his call) that he was lucky to contact a guy 'with a clue' because that guy had worked with him in the field previously...
I think this will be the tricky part for me, because the Comcast Northern Virginia head end refuses to answer the phone number given techs to call, so the "guy with a clue" is always unavailable. I think my best bet might be to raise hell and try to get a Comcast employee to visit, then hope that employee has a "back channel" to reach the hypothetical guy at the office with a clue.
dconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:28 AM   #1995
KevinG

HELP!

I'm in S. Jersey, trying to get a reasonable rate quote for my 2 cable cards, and I'm finding it impossible.

1-800-Comcast was basically telling me it would be $5 for HD for each card, $7.95 for an A/O, and $4.50 for each card.

I already have a DVR from them, so the A/O is expected.

That would be a total of $26.95. No way.

So, I called the "executive assistant" at headquarters. She had a regional call me back. That person was aware of the Tivo Series 3, but claimed it would be $14.75 for the first CC. And $7.95 for the 2nd CC. With a rebate of $4.20 off of each one. Total of $14.30. Still too high.

I expect to pay for an A/O, and one CC. A total somewhere around $10. Is this possible?

What if I only want basic service to my 2 cable cards in the tivo? Is that possible?

Thanks for any insight.
-Kevin
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:46 PM   #1996
BoyScout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo
Dont get too happy yet. If they're using SA cards, chances are that 1 of them will fail within the next couple of days.

How do you know if they are SA cards? I picked my cards up from the local shop and they were saying something about "regular" cards and "TiVo" cards, they gave me the "regular" cards and said they would work just fine in the S3.

BoyScout
BoyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:52 PM   #1997
BoyScout

I thought I would relate my experience with Comcast here. We used to have the predecessor to Comcast over 6 years ago and changed from them because of lousy customer service.

My Comcast installer didn't even speak English let alone know how to install cable cards. BTW, he didn't even BRING the cable cards.

Installation starts at 3:30 PM last Friday. At 9 PM I told him we were going to bed and he would have to come back manana. He asked what time and I said 9 AM. I futzed around with the internet for a couple hours and got it working at about midnite.

9 AM comes around, no Comcast tech. 10 AM I call Comcast and ask WTF? The tech's supervisor calls at 11 AM and says he'll be right there. 1 PM he shows up. Still no cable cards, but he finishes the install in about a half hour.

We go down to the local Comcast shop to pick up the cable cards and a forgotten receiver. The receiver installs and activates without a hitch. But the instructions I got from the Cable company to install the cable cards aren't working.

Several calls to Comcast later and no joy. The CSR from Comcast asks me if I am sure that the cable is connected. I told him I didn't do the install personally, but the tech tested the line from point to point. I trace back the cable and sure enough, the tech must have disconnected this branch of cable. I connected it and started getting the lower channels. But no digital channels.

A few more hours with no joy, I schedule a tech to come Sunday morning to help. I'm frustrated, so I go over everything on my own that we have done so far. I even got the instructions from the S3 out. ;-)

We had been trying everything including one card at a time, but I slide one card in and leave it and go to bed. Another midnite bedtime. I get up to get a glass of water at about 2 AM and out of curiosty, check to see what the cable card is doing. Still no download, BUT I am getting the digital channels. So, I slide in the second card and go to bed.

In the morning, still no indication of cable card download, but I am getting digital signals on both cards.

So, the install only took 45 hours.........

I am sure that it really didn't need to be so hard. A tech that had all the equipment and could understand and speak English would have helped. I'm sure the whole process could have been completed in say......4 hours???

BTW, Comcast DID waive my installation charge.

BoyScout
Old 01-23-2007, 03:09 PM   #1998
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyScout
How do you know if they are SA cards? I picked my cards up from the local shop and they were saying something about "regular" cards and "TiVo" cards, they gave me the "regular" cards and said they would work just fine in the S3.

BoyScout
SA = Scientific Atlanta

Motorola being the other brand. It'll be pretty well labeled on the card itself as well as in some of the CableCARD diagnostic/info screens.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:15 PM   #1999
KevinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG
HELP!

I'm in S. Jersey, trying to get a reasonable rate quote for my 2 cable cards, and I'm finding it impossible.

1-800-Comcast was basically telling me it would be $5 for HD for each card, $7.95 for an A/O, and $4.50 for each card.

I already have a DVR from them, so the A/O is expected.

That would be a total of $26.95. No way.

So, I called the "executive assistant" at headquarters. She had a regional call me back. That person was aware of the Tivo Series 3, but claimed it would be $14.75 for the first CC. And $7.95 for the 2nd CC. With a rebate of $4.20 off of each one. Total of $14.30. Still too high.

I expect to pay for an A/O, and one CC. A total somewhere around $10. Is this possible?

What if I only want basic service to my 2 cable cards in the tivo? Is that possible?

Thanks for any insight.
-Kevin

Quoting my own post here...

Comcast called back. She couldn't explain why, but the price now is $10.75 total/month, with free installation for all of my "trouble."

$10.75 plus TIVO fees monthly (but paid for in advance) makes me wonder if I should just stick with the provided DVR...

Can someone confirm that this is what I should be paying?

Thanks.
-Kevin
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:20 PM   #2000
BoyScout

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
SA = Scientific Atlanta

Motorola being the other brand. It'll be pretty well labeled on the card itself as well as in some of the CableCARD diagnostic/info screens.

Ahhhh! I do remember Motorola on one card. I don't remember what was on the other card (they were different). Are those the only two choices?

Is there a problem having two different brand cards (other than the SA infant mortality)?

BoyScout
Old 01-23-2007, 03:40 PM   #2001
cargen

Re: Comcast in Nashville TN

The Good News: Picked up 2 cablecards yesterday and lucked into an easy, no issues self install.

The Bad News: Just reviewed my bill via phone. They are charging me $6.95 for EACH of the cablecards in my Tivo Series3. I tried to challenge them with "I thought the first one was free and the second one $1.50 per month" because they are both in the same Tivo device.

No dice. I was told that I if I wanted to receive only hi-def channels and no digital channels, then both cards would be FREE, but if I wanted to receive my other 150+/- digital channels, then cost is $6.95 x 2 = $13.90 per month.

I asked for an explanation in writing or direction to a page on their Comcast website, but they couldn't/wouldn't. I waited 10 minutes, called in again and received the exact same explanation from the next rep.

Reading through this thread, I glean that Comcast pricing is all over the map with no national uniformity whatsoever. Does anybody know an appeal route for me to try?

I sure wish this forum had a tool to enable thread searches like avsforum.
cargen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:53 PM   #2002
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargen
Does anybody know an appeal route for me to try?
Try the suggestion in an earlier post in this thread here.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:08 PM   #2003
Mike Farrington

Day 14: I now fear my calls to Comcast are being avoided and ignored. Nobody is calling me back as promised.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:26 AM   #2004
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargen
I sure wish this forum had a tool to enable thread searches like avsforum.
Or course it has a Search this Thread search function (it is the same vBulletin software) . Note that it is a Javascript application so you have to have that turned on in your browser. Even so, the search feature is not very robust. Better to just do a search via Google like this, for example:
"Comcast sucks" site:www.tivocommunity.com
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:54 AM   #2005
Espo

Quote:
Ahhhh! I do remember Motorola on one card. I don't remember what was on the other card (they were different). Are those the only two choices?

Is there a problem having two different brand cards (other than the SA infant mortality)?

BoyScout
I think Motorola & SA are the only cards being used by Comcast. If 1 was Motorola, then you can assume the other 1 is too (maybe with a different graphic on the front). This is a good thing. Keep us updated & let us know if you have any problems with them.
Espo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:16 AM   #2006
aliweb1

Collier Co prices

Well, on the other side of alligator alley from you in coastal Collier Co. they are charging me nothing for HD basic, $5 for HD Plus and $1.95 for each cable card. No mention of the first being free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord46
In South Miami-Dade County, just two counties away from you, they are charging $5.00 for HD service and $6.95 additional outlet for EACH cable card. Originally, they were charging me $4.95 for the additional outlet charge for each, but when I called to complain and cite to others on this forum that were being charged far less, rather than cutting my charges, they bumped them all up to $6.95 each saying they'd made a mistake. I even called Comcast's customer service number in Philly, who initially said the charges were too high, but after a while on hold confirmed that those charges were right. Which suggests to me that Comcast HQ knows and approves of these price variations amongst the various local operations.

aliweb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:25 AM   #2007
aliweb1

Down here in south west Florida, I had no trouble with set up with "the old Time-Warner" since although they are now Comcast, they have still not gotten around to roll out the Comcast lineup in Naples. They sent the self-described "tech that does S3s" and he knew what he was doing. Both cards he brought (Motorola purple) worked, although he had a bit of trouble with the office having to hit them several times.

However, and this was a surprise, he could not get my old S2, now in the bedroom, to work with their new set top boxes. He said they were not compatible with the new Scientific Atlanta boxes they are required to use now. Therefore I wound up with no digital channels & HBO in the bedroom. Even though the TV there is not HD & the channels would have been analog, it would have been nice to have them. Only plus is I will save the extra $6.95 a month for the box. Anyone out there encountered this problem with Scientific Atlanta boxes? Just curious.
aliweb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:53 AM   #2008
Mike Farrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliweb1
However, and this was a surprise, he could not get my old S2, now in the bedroom, to work with their new set top boxes. He said they were not compatible with the new Scientific Atlanta boxes they are required to use now. Therefore I wound up with no digital channels & HBO in the bedroom. Even though the TV there is not HD & the channels would have been analog, it would have been nice to have them. Only plus is I will save the extra $6.95 a month for the box. Anyone out there encountered this problem with Scientific Atlanta boxes? Just curious.
Did you get the model number of the box? If so, call TiVo and ask them to add support for this box. It is a simple matter for TiVo to add new infrared blaster codes to their database.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:54 PM   #2009
BoyScout

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo
I think Motorola & SA are the only cards being used by Comcast. If 1 was Motorola, then you can assume the other 1 is too (maybe with a different graphic on the front). This is a good thing. Keep us updated & let us know if you have any problems with them.
Both cards are Motorola, but different versions. One is on 4.0 and the other 4.1. Both are enabled and subscribed, but as far as I can tell, they are not downloading. Should they both have been upgraded to the same version of firmware?

BoyScout
Old 01-25-2007, 05:38 PM   #2010
srw69

Comcast success story

I just thought that with all the Comcast horror stories, that I would post a success story.

The appointment was for 4-6pm. The Comcast tech (not a contractor) showed up at 4:15pm. On the way in, I asked him if ever installed a cablecard in a tivo. His response was "I hate Tivo's". I thought great, here we go. I went on his rant about how I'm going to lose on-demand and p.p.v. I politely told him that I understand but still want to proceed.

On to the install. He followed the Tivo instructions to a T. First card went in and after writing down all the information and calling the office was up and running in about 10 minutes. Card 2 was not quite as easy. The tech installed it in slot 2 and the Tivo recognized it but the office could not authorize it. On to card#3. Went just a flawless as card#1. Tested all the channels, HD and everything was working perfectly. All said it took about 30 minutes.

After the install, the tech actually wanted to see a demo of the Tivo and it performed flawlessly.

srw69 is offline   Reply With Quote