TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-14-2007, 10:41 PM   #1861
jeffsinsfo

I suppose they are assuming that they already have the other numbers. Unless you've moved the card, the host and data numbers should be the same. So by giving them the card's serial number, they should know the host and data numbers. Of course if they didn't put these in their database correctly to begin with, then they don't have the correct values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshayne
Thanks for the response.

I tried calling Comcast and confirmed the serial number of the 2nd card and had the guy re-hit it, but still the same problem. (Does it make sense that they didn't want any of the information on the MMI screen, just the serial number printed on the card?) Someone's coming out on Wednesday to take a look. Any suggestions anyone on particular things to have them try on Wednesday (assuming the next Comcast tech is unlikely to know much more about this than the first one)? Is this likely to be a faulty card (didn't see any errors during the initial install)?

Thanks,
Ethan

jeffsinsfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:18 PM   #1862
Warlord46

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear92
At the end of the call the person never mentioned a cost so I asked what the price for the new CableCards would be. The person told me that they would be removing the $5/month fee I've been paying for HD service (part of my Comcast package) and replace it with a $2.95/month fee and that's it (no service charge or anything else). I was stunned. I will actually save $2 per month by getting my Series 3 and the two extra CableCards.
I'm paying over $50/month for 5 cable cards in S. Fla. You guys out west are lucky. My Comcast reps tell me to ditch the S3s, their DVRs are cheaper to rent. And with S.Fla. Comcast pricing structure, they are right.
Warlord46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:26 AM   #1863
jeffk

I'm in South Florida and have Comcast [old Adelphia], and am paying i think it was 3.75 or 4.00 for 2 cards. i think it was 2.50 for the 2nd card, and like 1.25 or so for the first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord46
I'm paying over $50/month for 5 cable cards in S. Fla. You guys out west are lucky. My Comcast reps tell me to ditch the S3s, their DVRs are cheaper to rent. And with S.Fla. Comcast pricing structure, they are right.

jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:11 AM   #1864
Warlord46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk
I'm in South Florida and have Comcast [old Adelphia], and am paying i think it was 3.75 or 4.00 for 2 cards. i think it was 2.50 for the 2nd card, and like 1.25 or so for the first one.
In South Miami-Dade County, just two counties away from you, they are charging $5.00 for HD service and $6.95 additional outlet for EACH cable card. Originally, they were charging me $4.95 for the additional outlet charge for each, but when I called to complain and cite to others on this forum that were being charged far less, rather than cutting my charges, they bumped them all up to $6.95 each saying they'd made a mistake. I even called Comcast's customer service number in Philly, who initially said the charges were too high, but after a while on hold confirmed that those charges were right. Which suggests to me that Comcast HQ knows and approves of these price variations amongst the various local operations.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:03 AM   #1865
ac3dd

I'm in Broward County in South Florida. If they give me any crap I'll drop the digital and premium channels, get a big indoor antenna and increase my Blockbuster subscription for a couple more DVDs out at a time. And I'll tell Comcast exactly why I'm doing it.
ac3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:23 AM   #1866
ac3dd

Quote:
In South Miami-Dade County, just two counties away from you, they are charging $5.00 for HD service and $6.95 additional outlet for EACH cable card.
$6.95 X 2? Do you also have a cable box, so the cable box counts as the "first outlet"? If all you have is the TiVo, how/why did BOTH cards become "additional outlets"?
Old 01-15-2007, 08:42 AM   #1867
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishicks
what exactly is HUNT_SYNC_STATE or HUNT_STATE? my CC in slot 1 keeps bouncing back and forth between these 2. also, I've noticed that the card also keeps changing in the CA section. one time I can check and the State will be "Subscribed" and another time it will be "Unkown". host validation is either "unknown" or "unknown" with a number.
anyone?
Motorola RNG200N Comcast HD DVR
chrishicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:32 AM   #1868
Squeege96

To anyone in the Richmond area, I had a CC install with Comcast over the weekend that went flawless. The installer actually showed up EARLY, too. He was there for a total of 30 mins, the cards were provisioned without any issues, and he even wrote down all of the relevant cablecard info for me to hold onto incase there were any issues down the road.

He said he had installed over a dozen of them, and that he only had one bad install with a defective CC.

IT WAS A GREAT EXPERIENCE!!! --except for the $18.75 roll out fee. But I can live with that
Squeege96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:09 PM   #1869
Warlord46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac3dd
$6.95 X 2? Do you also have a cable box, so the cable box counts as the "first outlet"? If all you have is the TiVo, how/why did BOTH cards become "additional outlets"?
I have no cable boxes, DVRs, HD boxes, or any other Comcast piece of equipment in my house other than 5 cable cards. They charge me $5 for each cable card to get the HD channels that come with my digital service package, plus $6.95 for each card as an "additional outlet." Except the first card in my kitchen TV that is not charged $6.95, since I get that one outlet free with my cable service package, they say. That's $52.80 per month for 5 cards.

That means I'm paying $23.90 per S3 - greater than if I'd just rent a Comcast DVR instead. I've spoken to 4 Comcast supervisers, untold numbers of customer service reps, and even Comcast HQ in Philly, and all claim these charges are right, and that I should just simply dump the S3s and go with their DVRs. Which I believe is transparently the goal of these pricing strategies (as well as the incompetent cable-card installation strategy) for me and anyone else using a competitor's product.

They all profess disbelief when I tell them this forum informs me that others don't pay so much. They say that the $5 and $6.95 charges are not for boxes, but for "services." They say that when they provide someone an HD box and charge them $5.00, it's for the HD service, not the box. They say that when they provide someone an additional set-top box for a second TV, the $6.95 is for the additional service, not the box. With a straight face, they say those boxes are free. And the say each cable card needs those additional "services" before they will program it to work. Of course, the charges were for boxes until they figured out a change of wording could increase their income, hurt the DVR competition, and beat back the threat of cable-cards to their set-top box monopoly, all at the same time.

During pre-digital days, when TVs became cable-ready, people turned in their set-top boxes and added any number of TVs to the house without being charges for "additional outlets." Only premium channels like HBO were scrambled, so you could do without a box if you could do without HBO. Comcast is re-wording things to keep that from happening again, as well as scrambling all the digital channels so TV manufacturers cannot make their TVs cable-ready any more. Soon, even the "outlet-free" analog channels may be gone, and everyone will have to get a box again. Comcast is also fighting the FCC's July 1 deadline requiring them to use their own cable cards in their set-top boxes, so that Comcast can keep their confiscatory pricing on the cable cards to make them non-competitive with their boxes and to keep the monopoly intact.

If the pricing strategy Comcast is using in my area holds up, and absent FCC action I don't know why it would not, I would not be surprised to see Comcast go national with it.

If my S3s worked with satellites, or if Fios were in my neighborhood, Comcast would have lost me as a customer months ago. In my area, you need a roof-top antenna to get HD broadcast channels, but even going that far does not provide any HD cable channels, of course, so it is not a complete solution.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:26 PM   #1870
ac3dd

Quote:
I have no cable boxes, DVRs, HD boxes, or any other Comcast piece of equipment in my house other than 5 cable cards. They charge me $5 for each cable card to get the HD channels that come with my digital service package, plus $6.95 for each card as an "additional outlet." Except the first card in my kitchen TV that is not charged $6.95, since I get that one outlet free with my cable service package, they say. That's $52.80 per month for 5 cards.
Allowing the cable companies to charge what they want for the cards and "outlets" is the big loophole in the law. The cards should be owned by the consumer and then sent to the cable company to program. Otherwise they can still charge as much (or more!) for the cards as they used to charge for the boxes, defeating the purpose of the regulation altogether.

I think you need to write to the FCC. Comcast isn't supposed to use CableCard as an expensive proprietary device in a manner that is effectively no different from having their proprietary boxes.

Last edited by ac3dd : 01-15-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:17 PM   #1871
DeathRider

Quote:
Allowing the cable companies to charge what they want for the cards and "outlets" is the big loophole in the law. The cards should be owned by the consumer and then sent to the cable company to program. Otherwise they can still charge as much (or more!) for the cards as they used to charge for the boxes, defeating the purpose of the regulation altogether.

I think you need to write to the FCC. Comcast isn't supposed to use CableCard as an expensive proprietary device in a manner that is effectively no different from having their proprietary boxes.
I would guess they are fighting the deadline, because once they have to comply, they would have to charge everybody for 2 cards per box, or nobody.

At least here in Ma, RCN only scrambles HDNET, HDMOV, and DISHD. ESPNHD, NESNHD, FSNHD are not.

And, they only charge HBO per household, not per box like I was in NJ. I don't even want to see what Comcast would charge me.
DeathRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 02:30 PM   #1872
dconner

God damn it, these people are unbelievable! My second service appointment (to finish the job that wasn't finished the first time because the goddamn head end won't answer their telephone), and nobody shows up, and Comcast insists that I never made an appointment, or perhaps that I scheduled an appointment for earlier yesterday, utilizing Comcast's time travel repair system.

Now they say they'll show up on Wednesday, and I'll believe it when I see it....
dconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 03:22 PM   #1873
Warlord46

Quote:
I already have. And no, they are not. But they do it anyway, at least here in south Miami-Dade County. Do not ask for whom the bell tolls .... You're next.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:24 PM   #1874
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

I was going to drop this conversation since you were becoming more nasty than informative, but since you're continuing your comments....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
Quote:
Your experience doesn't upset me. What upsets me is the fact that you are claiming that because you and a few others got flaky TiVos means that TiVo shouldn't have given all the rest of us the TiVos that we are currently very happy with.
Good thing I never said anything of the sort. Sometimes I think you're just arguing against stuff I didn't say, because it is easier than arguing against what I actually did say.
And what precisely do you call your claims that the S3 shouldn't have been released? You believe that we shouldn't have our S3's ; I see no way for us to get our TiVos unless TiVo releases the S3

Quote:
Which is why I didn't suggest that 50% of the people were dissatisfied.

I'm sorry that you find it so difficult to arguing against what I've been saying on the merits, and find yourself forced to stoop to exhortation.
You clipped the paragraphs which were the evidence and development of my argument!!! This was not exhortation, this was solid arguments backed up with facts, which are in very short supply in your messages.

Quote:
And they evidently didn't know those "vagaries" to the same extent with the S3, hence the S3 is less robust. That is what I've been saying.
And I completely agree with you, and have never claimed otherwise. The S2 was much more robust than the S3. But that's because it didn't interoperate with any new hardware or software or signals controlled by anyone else. When TiVo released both HMO and TiVoToGo there was much more complaining about TiVo than there was for the S2 or there is now.

Quote:
No where NEAR what we're seeing with the S3. Not even in the same ballpark.
And your absolutely wrong about that. I was active helping folks in the HMO introduction and very active helping folks in the TiVoToGo introduction. There was much more anger directed at TiVo in those two introductions than there is now with S3. Most of the anger in this thread is directed at Comcast. (And to use your phrase; the total number of complaints about anything in this S3 forum is not even in the same ballpark as the complaints directed at TiVo for TiVoToGo.)

Most of the problems in this forum are caused by the cable companies not supporting cablecards at the level they are legally required to do. Most of the rest of the S3 problems seem to be the normal teething problems you get any time you release a product that depends on interoperating with a large number of other systems that are not under your control. Unlike you, I see no good reason why the S3 should not have been released.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:02 PM   #1875
xpansion2012

Howdy folks,

I would like to thank every everyone on this thread for sharing their experiences, especially those from the Seattle area. Your incites and experiences helped make my experience a very simple and time efficient process. Here are the steps I made:

1. 12/30/06 - Purchased TIVO S3 from pagecomputers $629.86 (inc shipping)

2. 12/30/06 - Purchased Westinghouse LVM-42W2 from pagecomputers $1355.67 (inc shipping)

3. 12/30/06 - Walked to comcast center - 1140 N 94th Street (just east of Aurora Ave)
a. stood in line for 15 minutes.
b. Asked "May I have 2 cableCards"
c. Without blinking, CSR asked me for my phone number, clicked a few drop downs, walked to the "stock room", got 2 cards and returned to her seat, scanned both cards, printed a receipt which I signed and said thank you, Have a great new years. (no questions, no hassles, wait time 15 minute, CSR time 3 min)

4. 01/07/06 - received Westinghouse LVM-42W2

5. 01/10/06 - received TIVO S3

6. 01/10/06 - CableCard installing begins:
a. installed RED cableCARD in slot 1. immediately got 161-1 error
b. removed card and replaced with BLUE EARTH cableCARD MMI screen appeared.
c. called 1-800-COMCAST
- on hold 10 minutes
- CSR answers "Identify yourself"
- I id myself and ask "I would like my cableCard activated please"
- CSR answers "What is the S/N?"
- I answer approprately.
- CSR Responds "Ok, I"ve done that"
- 3 seconds later, "161-4 Error on screen". I say thank you and goodbye and the call ends.
d. Walk back to Comcast Center
e. repeated step 2 except I say "this card is bad, I would like a
replacement please preferably one with the earth on the
sticker. Response was "Ok, If I have one". She did and I
thank her (total wait time 10 minutes; CSR time 2 minutes)
f. Walked home
g. Check channels for card 1. All channels available including
Encore premium channels
h. installed replacement card in slot 2. Immediately get MMI
screen.
i. called back 1-800-comcast
j. CSR was very inquisitive. Why do you have 2 cards?
- I answer "My TV has 2 slots"
- CSR Responds "ok (slightly questioning tone) SN please
- He sends signal then asked (you don't have a TIVO do you)
- 161-4 error on screen
- AS the "you" is coming out the CSR's mouth I say....that's it
thank you and have a great day.
- CSR Responds, "Oh, ok, thanks for calling Comcast..."
k. After Acquiring channels screen returns I wait 20 minutes
L. Checked all the channels for both cards...SUCCESS.
M. Redid Guided setup.

7. 01/14/06 - Comcast Bill arrives
1st cableCArd $0.00
2nd cableCARD $0.00
monthly billing has not changed.

Again, this was with respect to the Seattle area. YMMV in different areas of the country. Thanks again to all the people who posted their experiences. Your experiences allowed me to have a very simple and efficient (and somewhat pleasurable.....the walks to comcast were quite nice) experience.

Cheers,
Lloyd
xpansion2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:38 PM   #1876
wilrod

Thumbs up Bellevue / Redmond (Seattle Area)

Follow up post:

I just received my first Comcast bill since exchanging their Moto STB for two Moto (blue) cable cards. The bill shows a credit of $11.95 for the DVR service and a new section on their bill labeled "One-time charges and credits." This section shows the following two entries:

12/23 Comcast Cable Card 0.00
12/23 Comcast Cable Card 0.00

There are no other changes or surprises in billing.

I will monitor my billing to see if the "One-time charges and credits" section goes away or is repeated each month.

As a recap my experience with Comcast was pleasant and uneventful:
1) Exchanged STB for 2 CCs at the Redmond Comcast full-service store
2) Went home, plugged in both CCs into S3, took down numbers
3) Called Comcast, gave them the requested Host and Data numbers
4) Three "hits" later, all subscribed channels are showing up on both cards

The worst part of all this was waiting over 30 minutes at the very busy Comcast store, but the CSR there was very pleasant and efficient. YMMV.
wilrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:24 AM   #1877
SC0TLANDF0REVER
TiVo >*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconner
I just had my first visit from Comcast Reston, VA - same Comcast office as SC0TLANDF0REVER, - more or less the same results, though from different aspects and manners of Comcast cluelessness.

My guy didn't really know anything about TiVo or CableCards, and had never dealt with them before. He basically knew "Call this number when you put in a CableCard." At least he was able to plug them in, but then the number he was supposed to call wouldn't answer. He left after giving me that number and saying I should call them tomorrow. Oddly (further testifying to the tech's genial cluelessness) he thought this number was to some Scientific Atlanta office, but it's a Comcast extension, where the "No one is here to take your call" message identifies itself as the Head End. I suspect I'm probably not supposed to have that number, and that if/when I get in touch with someone on the number, nothing useful will happen, but I guess we'll see....

Maybe the head end is just out to lunch? Isn't that somewhere they're, like, supposed to always have someone around?

Anyhow, end result is that I'm apparently getting only the basic analog cable lineup and the local HD channels.
Same exact thing w/ my installer as far as the ph# to call the "Head End".
I called around 3PM - dunno, maybe they take an extended lunch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconner
God damn it, these people are unbelievable! My second service appointment (to finish the job that wasn't finished the first time because the goddamn head end won't answer their telephone), and nobody shows up, and Comcast insists that I never made an appointment, or perhaps that I scheduled an appointment for earlier yesterday, utilizing Comcast's time travel repair system.

Now they say they'll show up on Wednesday, and I'll believe it when I see it....
Sounds like the 2 appts I had before they eventually got their asses in gear and showed up 1.5 hrs late for the 3rd appt.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:40 AM   #1878
dconner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC0TLANDF0REVER
Same exact thing w/ my installer as far as the ph# to call the "Head End".
I called around 3PM - dunno, maybe they take an extended lunch?

Sounds like the 2 appts I had before they eventually got their asses in gear and showed up 1.5 hrs late for the 3rd appt.
What happened at your latest appointment? Are you able to get all your channels yet? I'm in the same position you were - just the "basic analog" lineup plus the local HD channels.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:34 AM   #1879
OzDave

Quote:
The most reliable information I've seen indicates that the CableCARDs do work much more reliably with televisions than with the TiVo S3. That's the whole point.
Interesting.
The Comcast guy that I spoke with said that CC installs into TVs are much much harder and take much longer than the TiVos. He says that some TV brands don't seem to work with any CC they have. He says they just try different cards till something works. He was happy that the issue I had him fix (correct the Data number stored at their end to match what I had) was with a TiVo, as the docs he had just said CC issue and he was worried it would be a TV.
OzDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:48 AM   #1880
OzDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzDave
This certainly has not been my experience with Comcast. I have met with uncooperative phone support, and I pasted my online chat which I had with them.
CCs are a product that Comcast provide, and it is only them who can pair a CC to enable me to receive the content I am paying them for. It seems that when I mentioned the word TiVo, they gave me the stock answer - not their problem. I know the next time that I speak with them I will tell them that I have a TV with the CCs rather than TiVo. As many others in this thread have experienced, they seem more cooperative if its TV.
IMHO there is nothing wrong with my TiVo unit.

Just following up on this. A Comcast tech came to the house. I explained to him the problem, that the Data numbers needed to be corrected at their end. He had no issue at all that it was a TiVo. Actually, when I asked him about CC installs and TiVos he explained TiVos are easier than TVs - see previous post. He was not that familiar with how CC work. He called in, explained the situation, explained what I said needed to be done, and they agreed. He read out the Data number for one card, and they hit the card. It came to life. They then did the second card, and it came to life.
So my TiVo is now seems to be working fine - Ya! Though I have been away for 4 days - I hope that it is still working when I get back. My worry is what is described here:
http://techdigs.net/content/view/46/42/#reset

I hope that the Data number is not regenerated when the sw is updated in the TiVo.
OzDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:21 AM   #1881
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzDave
Just following up on this. A Comcast tech came to the house. I explained to him the problem, that the Data numbers needed to be corrected at their end. He had no issue at all that it was a TiVo. Actually, when I asked him about CC installs and TiVos he explained TiVos are easier than TVs - see previous post. He was not that familiar with how CC work. He called in, explained the situation, explained what I said needed to be done, and they agreed. He read out the Data number for one card, and they hit the card. It came to life. They then did the second card, and it came to life.
So my TiVo is now seems to be working fine - Ya! Though I have been away for 4 days - I hope that it is still working when I get back. My worry is what is described here:
http://techdigs.net/content/view/46/42/#reset

I hope that the Data number is not regenerated when the sw is updated in the TiVo.
The SW update doesn't clear and delete everything so the Cable cards better not be affected. TiVo would also have major complaints if it did since that would screw up everyones box that is using Cable Cards.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:24 PM   #1882
klray1

CableCards and Tivo Incompatible

Our sad tale of HD Tivo is that we ordered one, and found that either one or the other cable cards (Scientific Atlantic supplied by Howard Co. Maryland Comcast) would go out, and I would have to re-boot the Tivo. After a while, re-booting didn't work any more. After many calls to Tivo, they suggested I try another unit, which was worse than the first one. The poor Comcast techs were here 3 times, and I made 13 calls to Tivo for help. We finally gave up, and I called Tivo to say that we were going to return the replacement unit. The very nice and helpful person I spoke to said that they should never have sent us the second unit--they should have just cancelled our service for the Series 3. She said that Tivo is having a terrible time with both Comcast and Time-Warner CableCards, that they are simply incompatible.

I hope, if either Tivo or Comcast is reading these messages, that they will make an effort to let their customers know when they get their systems coordinated. I would love to have the Series 3, but right now, it's not to be. My friend had to send her Series 3 back as well. The Comcast guy was at her house for 3 hours, with several cards, and none would work.
klray1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:08 PM   #1883
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by klray1
She said that Tivo is having a terrible time with both Comcast and Time-Warner CableCards, that they are simply incompatible.
Many thousands of S3s are working fine with CableCards.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:10 PM   #1884
Espo

No, I can back up klray1 & say that the S3 current software definitely has a problem with the S.A. cards used in the Md/Va/D.C. area. I also live in Howard Co. & like a least 10 others on this forum, can't get any S3's to work properly. The only Comcast cards I hear work right are using Motorola cards. I eventually gave up using the S.A. cards. I'm just waiting for FIOS to finish laying fiber on my street & then I will drop my basic cable. Friends in the area have used their S3 with FIOS using Motorola CCs & say they are fine. Hopefully, Tivo can fix this "bug" with the 8.1 update!
Espo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:19 PM   #1885
dconner

Does Comcast in the DC area only have S.A. cards? Can they get the kind that works? Otherwise, it's simply impossible at this time to get anything more than the most basic of basic cable channels from Comcast on a Series3? Is it only the specific combination of Comcast and S.A. cards, or do they fail on every system?
Old 01-16-2007, 03:20 PM   #1886
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

can someone explain this:

my CC in slot 2 is working fine at the moment. slot 1 has been a disaster since the install. I had another installer come out today and replace the card in slot 1. he ended up switching the cards around(he used the working slot 2 card in slot 1 and put a new card in slot 2). the new card in slot 2 started working just fine while slot 1 again had issues.

the card in slot 1 always showed Disabled in the CA State and NOT_TUNED_STATE in the Network setup section. now the slot 1 card CA State has changed to "subscribed" but the network setup is still showing NOT_TUNED_STATE. should I try to have Comcast give the card another hit or what? it was like this before once and I could rcord 2 of any channel but it eventually changed and I went back to one working card which killed that.
Motorola RNG200N Comcast HD DVR
chrishicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:30 PM   #1887
Espo

I believe it's the combination of S.A. & S3. As others have said, the cards will work fine for a day or two & then 1 will fail resulting in lost recordings. I think D.C. only uses S.A. cards. My D.C. friend even had similar failings using the cards in his TV (& Yes, he did try many replacement cards to see if they were bad cards).
Old 01-16-2007, 03:36 PM   #1888
ac3dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by klray1
She said that Tivo is having a terrible time with both Comcast and Time-Warner CableCards, that they are simply incompatible.
Or more accurately, Time-Warner and Comcast are deliberately giving the TiVos trouble because they hate CableCard.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:37 PM   #1889
dconner

Oh boy...

Is there any actual grounds for thinking people know about the problem and might have a fix in 8.1, or is that mostly wishful thinking?

And this is probably a stupid question, but are CableCards interchangeable, or is each particular cable system geared to work only with one particular type of CableCard? For instance, if I somehow got hold of a Motorola CableCard, I'm guessing it simply wouldn't work at all, because my local Comcast uses S.A.?

Last edited by dconner : 01-16-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:45 PM   #1890
Espo

Tivo has stated they are working to fix this problem & the missing channel problem in 8.1, but we'll have to see. In the meantime, you could call Comcast & see if they even issue Motorola cards in D.C. (they do use Motorola boxes).