Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-13-2007, 09:58 AM   #1831
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord46
Comcast owns the cable cards and is in total control of whether the cable cards work, not Tivo.
The most reliable information I've seen indicates that the CableCARDs do work much more reliably with televisions than with the TiVo S3. That's the whole point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:24 AM   #1832
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

so my installer just left. he was a very impatiatient person. he wouldn't read the instructions or anything. he installed both cards at the same time. he wouldn't even wait for the tivo to regognize the cards before he'd remove them and try again. then after numorous tries he works on card 2/slot 2 first. he gets that to finally work but not slot 1. is it possible that because he did it ass backwards that I'm screwed?

the best part was that he was so impatient that he wanted to be out of here so fast that he ended up being here for over 2hrs.

what do I do now?
Motorola DCT-3416 Comcast HD DVR
chrishicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:30 AM   #1833
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishicks
so my installer just left. he was a very impatiatient person. he wouldn't read the instructions or anything. he installed both cards at the same time. he wouldn't even wait for the tivo to regognize the cards before he'd remove them and try again. then after numorous tries he works on card 2/slot 2 first. he gets that to finally work but not slot 1. is it possible that because he did it ass backwards that I'm screwed?

the best part was that he was so impatient that he wanted to be out of here so fast that he ended up being here for over 2hrs.

what do I do now?
Now? Now is too late.

What you should have done is insist, at that moment, that you handle the cards and follow the directions yourself.

Good luck.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:32 AM   #1834
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

but what can I do to correct this? or am I now just stuck with a single tuner S3 now?
Old 01-13-2007, 10:56 AM   #1835
jjamezz
self-proclaimedIdiot

Thumbs up Success in Salt Lake City Area w/ 2x S3's

WOW ... SO very much bickering!! (Com'on peeps... try not to be so @#$!%!!!)

Anyway -- SUCCESS STORY in SALT LAKE CITY AREA with COMCAST.

Step one - visit local Comcast business location & get 4 cable cards
(exact # needed, I was feeling lucky && each card provided at NO COST!!!)

Step two - arrive home & install CC in 'SLOT 1'
(CC setup screen comes up, did nothing other than wait)

Step three - call COMCAST local service number... request they activate my CCs by serial number
(they call it 'hit'; shortly after being 'hit' I got screen w/ error 4)

Step four - Tech knew to continue and ignore error 4... repeated step 2 & 3 on 'SLOT 2'

Step five - repeat above on 2nd Tivo... All was well per fliping through all channels I subscribe to using Channel Guide (physical card listing packages/channels)

NOW A LITTLE TROUBLE, THAT ENDS WELL - VERY WELL

-- Two Days Later --

Suddenly some of my channels stop receiving & reveal the 'MMI Screen' that Tivo describes as being provided solely from the cable company...

The screen lists a message whenever you attempt to tune certain channels that 'Contact your cable provider to activate service' -- this message appears on all tuners / cable cards... confusing..

on second call to cable company (ugh, is this my horror experience with COMCAST beginning?).... the tech doesn't have a clue & states that there must be a problem with the equipment or CCs (I say... all of them & only on specific & identical channels?) ... she insists and will not discuss further... I hang up and get the same response from a seperate tech... so I allow her to setup a service call...

contractor arrives (with extra CCs if needed)... it's his VIRGIN TIVO S3 EXPERIENCE (but, he's cute - so, that's ok, right?)

Luckily he knows someone at the head end that he would not normally be allowed to talk with & calls him... end result... Comcast was using encryption on some channels that CCs are unable to process.... once the encryption was shifted at the 'head-end', all was well on all four cable boxes.

It's been a few weeks & I've had no further difficulties.... sent back my original cable box / converter & have actually lowered my monthly while getting my 'pay-channels' in both my rooms (vice just in the cable-boxed room)

I'm happy!!

JJ - near SLC Utah
jjamezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:37 AM   #1836
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

update:

I have both cards installed in my S3. upon checking the "test channels" section only card 2 shows channels. card 1 shows "no channels available". however, both cards are showing "subscribed" in the CA. I also have both tuners working in that I can successfully record 2 seperate shows on both tuners.

could one CC be tuning 2 seperate channels while the other is not working correctly?
Old 01-13-2007, 01:05 PM   #1837
jjamezz
self-proclaimedIdiot

don't think so....

You're probably able to tune and record with the 'non-working' CC ONLY those channels that are not scrambled/encrypted...

The 'working' CC can (I'm presuming) tune / record from any of the channels you're subscribed to wether encrypted / scrambled or not.

I'd assume two likely causes:
1>> you need to have the cable provider 'hit' your 'non-working' CC with an authorization / blessing signal (try this, despite probably having done it already... you should just need the serial number printed on the outside of the card)

OR

2>> you actually have one bad CC, in which case you should swap it.... but before you do that, try ejecting it, reinserting it... wait until a black and white screen pops up that requires you to press the clear button to get out of, then repeat guided setup AGAIN... annnoying for certain...

good luck!!

JJ

JJ - near SLC Utah
jjamezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 01:44 PM   #1838
Warlord46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
The most reliable information I've seen indicates that the CableCARDs do work much more reliably with televisions than with the TiVo S3. That's the whole point.
Here's some even more reliable information: All my TVs have CC slots, as do S3s. Comcast went through 20 or so cable cards to get me 5 that worked. When a cable card didn't work in one of my S3s, it didn't work in any of my 3 HDTVs either, any more than a burned-out light bulb would work in some lamps and not others. Once I got a couple CCs that worked, I had the huge advantage of swapping them around in the presence of Comcast techs (in my area, the CCs are not wedded to the equipment) to disprove Comcast's claims that the problems were due to all my "defective" TVs and S3s. Without that advantage, Comcast might have beaten me down and convinced me to return my "defective" S3s. With that advantage, I beat them down.

For you to blame Tivo for making S3s that won't work with Comcast's bad cable cards is "self-absorbed idiocy." [bicker, post 1743] You should follow your own advice: "don't close your eyes and ears to the reality around you." [bicker, post 1803]
Warlord46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:00 PM   #1839
Dreamin

Palo Alto, CA

Just rec'd my Comcast's updated price list (January 4, 2007)

There is a line item in the equipment section:
TIVO Series 3 - 2nd Card: $1.50
Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:32 PM   #1840
mpthompson

Success in San Carlos, CA

The Comcast installer arrived at my house on Thursday morning to put the two CCs into my new Tivo S3. The first one card installed without a hitch, however, the second card showed the dreaded "No Channels Available". Fortunately, the installer was a very friendly guy and determined to get both cards working. He tried a number of fixes to no avail, but by swapping the cards between slot 1 and 2 he convinced himself that the Tivo S3 was functioning correctly. Finally, he worked with a senior dispatcher at the head end who was able to fix some problem regarding my configuration within the Comcast database. After that both cards would take a 'hit' (not sure what that is) and they have worked well since.

I was a bit nervous for the two hours he was there that things wouldn't work out, but in the end everything was OK. I'm happy that the installer was a very friendly guy and determined to leave a happy customer behind. I guess I lucked out in that respect.

Last edited by mpthompson : 01-13-2007 at 05:38 PM.
mpthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:44 PM   #1841
aaronwt
HD Addict

I had that happen to me today with my third S3 but the installer left without it being com pletely resolved. WHen we got the no channels we reinstalled the CC and the channels came up, but this was after the guy at the head end had entered the info. The card does show that it is authorized but won't show the encrypted channels. They could probably get it working but they are sending someone out Tuesday evening to replace the CC.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:21 PM   #1842
rmaddy

Positive Experience in Denver

I received my new TiVo Series 3 on Thursday. I called Comcast and made an appointment for today (Saturday) and told them I had wanted to upgrade my basic analog cable to digital and I had a TiVo needing two cable cards. Quick and painless phone call.

Today two guys showed up - only 15 minutes into the 2 hour appointment window. They had one card in their hand and said they had never installed cards into a TiVo before - great.

One hour later I had a fully working TiVo with two fully working cable cards. It all worked the first time. Most of the hour was spent waiting for the TiVo to update the cards and reload the guide.

As a data point the cards are Motorola version 04.21.

I was charged the normal $15 fee for the "house call". No charge for either cable card.

I'm very happy. The high def channels look amazing on my new Samsung LN-S4695D.
rmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:37 PM   #1843
dconner

Quick question on a minor technicality:

I intend to use both the CableCarded Series3 and my Comcast Digital Cable Box once all is said and done. (Obviously, the Cable Box isn't going to have any interaction with the TiVo, but I want it around for PPV and the like, and as a "backup" for when the CableCards are going all flakey, as I imagine will happen regularly since Comcast is involved.)

Do I need to use a splitter on the cable from the wall, or would it be OK to "chain" the Cable Box and TiVo, i.e.:

Wall --> Cable Box IN
Cable Box OUT --> TiVo IN
?
dconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:57 PM   #1844
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

damn, I just noticed all you guys have newer version CCs than what I had installed. I have Motorola v. 04.05 installed here.

my setup is still strange. I can record 2 seperate of whatever(2 HD, 2 local or 2 Premium such as HBO or a mix of any of these) even though at this point one of my cards shows "no channels available". both cards are still showing "subscribed" in the CA as well.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:21 PM   #1845
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconner
Do I need to use a splitter on the cable from the wall, or would it be OK to "chain" the Cable Box and TiVo
You're best off with a splitter, it'll always work. Some boxes may be trying to send the tuned channel on channel 3 and nothing else, some may have an option to pass the RF.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:30 PM   #1846
dconner

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
You're best off with a splitter, it'll always work. Some boxes may be trying to send the tuned channel on channel 3 and nothing else, some may have an option to pass the RF.
Is there any limit to how many times you can (or should?) split a cable signal? I'm already splitting it from the wall to go to my PC with all the Comcast Internet stuff in another room.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:47 PM   #1847
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconner
Is there any limit to how many times you can (or should?) split a cable signal?
Each split causes a reduction in signal level, so doing it too many times will eventually make the signal too weak to deal with. Splitting it 3 ways isn't uncommon, you're better off with a 3 way splitter. If you split it a lot of ways you can get a splitters with buffer amplifiers built in. The amp compensates for the signal level drop, and can have an arbitrary number of outputs.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:24 PM   #1848
JPShinn

So, just tonight,

my Tivo started in a constant reboot loop after almost 4 weeks of perfect operation. The furthest I can get is to the Tivo screen and when/if I try to do guided set-up, the screen gets very pixellated (freezes, etc.) and then reboots.

Bad Tivo?
Bad CableCARD?
Comcast sucks?

Any thoughts would be helpful.
Thx.
john
JPShinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:33 PM   #1849
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

what exactly is HUNT_SYNC_STATE or HUNT_STATE? my CC in slot 1 keeps bouncing back and forth between these 2. also, I've noticed that the card also keeps changing in the CA section. one time I can check and the State will be "Subscribed" and another time it will be "Unkown". host validation is either "unknown" or "unknown" with a number.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:54 PM   #1850
Warlord46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPShinn
So, just tonight, my Tivo started in a constant reboot loop after almost 4 weeks of perfect operation. The furthest I can get is to the Tivo screen and when/if I try to do guided set-up, the screen gets very pixellated (freezes, etc.) and then reboots.
Pull the plug, wait 30 seconds, and plug it back in. If that does not work, pull the plug, take the cable cards out, and plug it back in. If this second procedure enables you to get to the Tivo menu, then put each cable card back in. Comcast should recognize the cards, and a minute later all your channels should be back. If neither of these steps works, I'd call Tivo and ask for a replacement. Or follow another person's advice who might respond to your request with better ideas. Good luck.
Warlord46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:01 AM   #1851
JPShinn

Unfortunately, it's now constant reboot at the "Welcome! Powering Up. . . " screen. This f'ing sucks.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:50 AM   #1852
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord46
Pull the plug, wait 30 seconds, and plug it back in. If that does not work, pull the plug, take the cable cards out, and plug it back in.
Do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around... that's what it's all about!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:15 AM   #1853
eshayne

Premium channels on only one card?

I just had Comcast (Gainesville, VA) out to install the cable cards in a Series 3. During the "test channels" part of the setup, only one card was able to receive premium channels (HBO, etc). The other just shows a gray screen for those channels.

The installer said he thought this is the way it's supposed to work (something about Comcast not wanting you to be able to record from two premium channels at the same time - sounds ridiculous to me, but wouldn't be the first time a cable company did something that doesn't make any sense to me).

My two questions are:
1. Can anyone confirm if this is in fact by design?

2. If so, how do I tell the TiVo to make sure to use card #1 for premium channel recordings and not card #2?

Thanks,
Ethan
eshayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:34 AM   #1854
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshayne
I just had Comcast (Gainesville, VA) out to install the cable cards in a Series 3. During the "test channels" part of the setup, only one card was able to receive premium channels (HBO, etc). The other just shows a gray screen for those channels.

The installer said he thought this is the way it's supposed to work (something about Comcast not wanting you to be able to record from two premium channels at the same time - sounds ridiculous to me, but wouldn't be the first time a cable company did something that doesn't make any sense to me).

My two questions are:
1. Can anyone confirm if this is in fact by design?
No, it is NOT. Your second card may not be entered correctly at their end (or at all), so it isn't getting authorized to show the pay channels. They may let you do it by phone, but your or a tech rolled out needs to confirm their end matches your end, and then (whether it does or after they fix it) re-hit the cards.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:06 PM   #1855
dconner

I just had my first visit from Comcast Reston, VA - same Comcast office as SC0TLANDF0REVER, - more or less the same results, though from different aspects and manners of Comcast cluelessness.

My guy didn't really know anything about TiVo or CableCards, and had never dealt with them before. He basically knew "Call this number when you put in a CableCard." At least he was able to plug them in, but then the number he was supposed to call wouldn't answer. He left after giving me that number and saying I should call them tomorrow. Oddly (further testifying to the tech's genial cluelessness) he thought this number was to some Scientific Atlanta office, but it's a Comcast extension, where the "No one is here to take your call" message identifies itself as the Head End. I suspect I'm probably not supposed to have that number, and that if/when I get in touch with someone on the number, nothing useful will happen, but I guess we'll see....

Maybe the head end is just out to lunch? Isn't that somewhere they're, like, supposed to always have someone around?

Anyhow, end result is that I'm apparently getting only the basic analog cable lineup and the local HD channels.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:16 PM   #1856
jdebord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPShinn
So, just tonight,

my Tivo started in a constant reboot loop after almost 4 weeks of perfect operation. The furthest I can get is to the Tivo screen and when/if I try to do guided set-up, the screen gets very pixellated (freezes, etc.) and then reboots.

Bad Tivo?
Bad CableCARD?
Comcast sucks?

Any thoughts would be helpful.
Thx.
john
John,

I had this issue as part of my original install (in detail HERE ) - with the constant reboot, the tech blamed the TiVo box. He insisted I call TiVo, who eventually said it was a bad box and to return it. Once I took the cards out, it was fine, so it was an issue with the cards. Maybe you need Comcast to do one of those "cold initiate" hits on your box to start over again with the cards? I'd recommend taking the cards out totally and go through guided set-up sans cards and see if it stops rebooting. Then try the cards again (one at a time). Then call Comcast and see about "hitting" them to reset them, or coming out to replace them if that doesn't work. My guess is that it's a card issue though, not a box issue.

Jason
jdebord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 01:22 PM   #1857
JPShinn

Jason:

Thanks for the assistance but I did remove the cards and it kept doing the auto-reboot . . . RMA on the way.

Thanks anyway.
John
Old 01-14-2007, 04:39 PM   #1858
GoldenBear92

Success in San Francisco

I had a great experience getting my two new CableCards for my TiVo Series 3 with Comcast in San Francisco. I called and the person on the phone seemed to know exactly what was needed for a Tivo Series 3 hookup. I think they had a standard service order for a Series 3 hookup. I already had a CableCard in my Sony TV and they said I can keep the existing CableCard and they would install two new ones in the TiVo (which is exactly what I wanted).

At the end of the call the person never mentioned a cost so I asked what the price for the new CableCards would be. The person told me that they would be removing the $5/month fee I've been paying for HD service (part of my Comcast package) and replace it with a $2.95/month fee and that's it (no service charge or anything else). I was stunned. I will actually save $2 per month by getting my Series 3 and the two extra CableCards.

I haven't gotten my Comcast bill yet to verify the costs but hopefully there won't be a problem. Also, the installation of the CableCards occurred perfectly about 10 days ago. I'm enjoying watching and recording HD through the TiVo.
GoldenBear92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:34 PM   #1859
eshayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar
No, it is NOT. Your second card may not be entered correctly at their end (or at all), so it isn't getting authorized to show the pay channels. They may let you do it by phone, but your or a tech rolled out needs to confirm their end matches your end, and then (whether it does or after they fix it) re-hit the cards.
Thanks for the response.

I tried calling Comcast and confirmed the serial number of the 2nd card and had the guy re-hit it, but still the same problem. (Does it make sense that they didn't want any of the information on the MMI screen, just the serial number printed on the card?) Someone's coming out on Wednesday to take a look. Any suggestions anyone on particular things to have them try on Wednesday (assuming the next Comcast tech is unlikely to know much more about this than the first one)? Is this likely to be a faulty card (didn't see any errors during the initial install)?

Thanks,
Ethan
eshayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:06 PM   #1860
MAPits

Man this tread is over 1800 post long.
It's too long to go though and find the right info needed for help

May be this should be closed and a new tread starting with the latest Comcast install instructions
MAPits is offline   Reply With Quote