TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-07-2007, 09:26 PM   #1711
rictus

I think there might be a minor problem with my CableCard install today. After the install, I recreated the Season Passes I had created on analog channels before the CCs were installed, just to make sure they pointed properly to the new digital channels. However, even after recreating them, they're still showing "Quality" as an option, which makes me think it's somehow still pulling the analog signal for those channels. (SPs I create on channels >99 don't show the Quality option.)

I haven't stared at the picture on one of the ex-analog channels long enough to tell if it looks digital now. Is it possible that the TiVo could still be getting these channels as analog? (I know that those channels are available digitally, because on my old Motorola PVR, they showed QAM info.)

nj
rictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 11:50 PM   #1712
c3
TiVoholic

In order to get the digital equivalent of those analog channels, Comcast has to program the CableCards as such. I gave up after trying a "proven" method of getting ADS by adding a digital-only STB to my account -- still didn't work.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:09 AM   #1713
jonman21

rictus -

I had this problem too right after my CableCard install.

I don't think you should worry -- it took my TiVo a couple of hours to download all the new guide data from my Digital Silver lineup...in the meantime, I was still able to tune into the HD (700+) channels...but the SeasonPass searches didn't pick up any of those channels. Thus, when I tried to set a SP for The Office on the Digital NBC 700 channel, I wasn't able to....

Once I waited a few hours and all the guide data was downloaded, I was able to pick out the digital channels for SPs.
jonman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:39 AM   #1714
rictus

The guide data is there--it's just that the channels are being recorded in analog instead of digital.

c3--did you try talking to Comcast about it?
Old 01-08-2007, 01:41 AM   #1715
rictus

One more glitch...It doesn't seem like my TiVo is getting guide data for UHD and MHD, though it has guide data for everything else. (These were also the two HD channels that the TiVo didn't originally think were on my "channels you receive" list.) I noticed on TiVo's online scheduler that UHD and MHD don't show up either. Does TiVo just not send out the guide data for these channels?
Old 01-08-2007, 01:44 AM   #1716
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus
c3--did you try talking to Comcast about it?
I did. They either didn't know what I was talking about, or didn't know how to remap the channels. Fortunately, I don't really care much about the SD channels because I have set up my S3s to record HD channels only.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:56 AM   #1717
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by subat0mic
Does anyone know how to reset the cablecards to factory default?
does this make sense, that pulling them out would screw them up?
is there anything I can do to fix this myself?
A) No need to reset the card to factory default. There's very little they can do with motorola cards to permanently screw them up. There is a message they can send from the headend to do a factory default reset - but doubtful that's necessary.

B) No - pulling the cards doesn't do any harm to them. From the card's point of view, it's like you unplugged the tivo (the card has power, then you pull it, and it doesn't have power).

In your other post, you said the cards were in the disconnected state. That's the issue the cable company has to fix. Are you getting OOB data (check the Network screen in the cablecard menu - it should say tuned, and OOB messages should be non-zero, and increasing each time you enter the screen). If you're not getting OOB there's no way the messages from the cable company can get to the card. If you are getting OOB, then something is messed up on the cable company side. They're gonna need to figure that out before they can get the right authorizations to the card.

My cable company accidentally disconnected my cablecard the other day, and it just took a simple phone call for them to fix it (but, I've never had any problem with my cards getting messages from the headend).
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:23 AM   #1718
husep

Just got my Series 3 Tivo last Thurs. First install visit got the first card working with all my premium channels, etc. The second card had the 161-1 error with no luck in fixing. The techs did not have a third card to install. Scheduled another visit for Sat. afternoon. I made a request for the tech to bring 3 cards. They brought 2. The first card got the 161-1 error right away. I thought I was have to return my Tivo due to bad card reader, but the 3rd card worked! (kinda). Then it took another couple of days to get the card programmed correctly to get all of my channels. A major pain in the ass, but finally a GLORIOUS solution compared to the miserable motorola box. I am a DirecTV convert (HR10-250) and now am very pleased.

Chicago, IL
husep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:24 AM   #1719
husep

I guess the moral of my story above is to have the tech bring at least one extra card.
husep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:59 AM   #1720
titsataki

Smile new install in Bethany CT

Ok my turn to take the plunge with the S3. I am Bethany CT, Just outside New Haven. My S3 is coming today so I called the local Adelphia Cable I got transfered to Comcast. It only took 2 mins to figure out that since my house is new (no previous cable service) they needed to do a survey but Adelphia did that. (I reminded them). It took a while to pursuate the lady on the phone that yes 2 cable cards will work on the S3. She kept saying in the TV. She put me on hold many times but she was nice and polite. I am getting the $25 off per month deal for 16 months after I show them my dish bill. total $400 off. Nice. But there was some problem with the codes for new customers so she could not create an order and give an install day. I gave her my work number and she said she will call me in an hour or two. We shall see.

Now do you guys suggest I need to do something with the TIVO box before they come to install service/ cable cards? I have Dish so no way to test Tivo before Comcast comes for the install.

Cheers

Nick

PS: I have a lifetime sub on my S2 which I will be transfering after all the dust settles down.
titsataki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:44 AM   #1721
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus
It doesn't seem like my TiVo is getting guide data for UHD and MHD,
They're new, TiVo may not have noticed they're on the system yet. You can send them a lineup notice http://www.tivo.com/lineup
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:49 AM   #1722
subat0mic

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderigo
In your other post, you said the cards were in the disconnected state. That's the issue the cable company has to fix. Are you getting OOB data (check the Network screen in the cablecard menu - it should say tuned, and OOB messages should be non-zero, and increasing each time you enter the screen). If you're not getting OOB there's no way the messages from the cable company can get to the card. If you are getting OOB, then something is messed up on the cable company side. They're gonna need to figure that out before they can get the right authorizations to the card.
I do get "TUNED" and OOB messages are non-zero, increasing....
However, when I click on "Hunt" , there's no network traffic on the screen.. . I guess i'm not sure what i should see on that page....

On the "network" screen, I get nothing though.
0.0.0.0 for IP address,
UPM 0
Downstream ID 0
Upstream 0
Downstream Unconfirmed

Is all this normal? If not..
what should I do about that?
what should I tell the tech?

Last edited by subat0mic : 01-08-2007 at 11:05 AM.
subat0mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:30 AM   #1723
Roderigo

Quote:
I do get "TUNED" and OOB messages are non-zero, increasing....
However, when I click on "Hunt" , there's no network traffic on the screen.. . I guess i'm not sure what i should see on that page....
Hunt causes it to search for a different frequency for an OOB signal. It should eventually settle back on the frequency where it started. If it's getting OOB signal, then it's up to the cable company to figure out why the message isn't getting to the card itself. I don't have any keywords to tell them to get that part fixed. My guess is that they usually don't debug that problem, but put in new cards until they accidentally get the configuration in the headend correct.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:23 PM   #1724
subat0mic

Angry don't reset using "clearing and deleting" to reset cablecard. takes forever!!!

i hit the "clearing and deleting" option... this sucks... is there any way to abort?
I unplug, and replug, and it still goes to that screen...

was trying to reset the cablecard.

a new tech is supposed to be here in like... now... to fix the cablecards, and the stupid unit is frozen doing this idiot procedure. i just wanted to reset the cablecard and the unit back to factory before he got here, and gave myself an hour to do it.

anyone done this before? and how long did it take you with a new tivo S3?
(why don't they give status output, at least a progress bar, or scandisk (fsck) text output, please! or on screen instructions to abort, or... come on tivo!)

thanks,
Old 01-08-2007, 01:30 PM   #1725
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
i hit the "clearing and deleting" option... this sucks... is there any way to abort?
I unplug, and replug, and it still goes to that screen...
No, and don't unplug it. You'll just make it worse.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:34 PM   #1726
subat0mic

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
No, and don't unplug it. You'll just make it worse.
I figured it wasn't good, but also figured it was in the middle of an fsck disc check so probably wasn't a big deal... I had only done it because I needed the unit ready for the tech and was hoping it would abort the process... i was wrong. :-(

This is ridiculous. 3 visits and 10 phone calls hasn't fixed the TivoS3... Doesn't Tivo run seminars or training programs for these people? They obviously haven't been trained on this stuff. This is abysmal. Lets hope they get it fixed for me this 3rd time...

UPDATE: the checking thingie just finished, only 30 minutes... it's at the "almost there" screen. I guess i'm impatient.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:52 PM   #1727
acc10x

which seattle-area office did you pick up the cablecards from? curious if the one on aurora ave has 'em or if i'm gonna have to take a drive out to redmond when the time comes.

thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle_s3
I received my S3 for Christmas. Went to the Comcast office and picked up 2 cablecards. I asked if I needed to call to activate and was told no. Waited until the weekend and started the install. Went through the setup and installed one card. The setup screen provided the card numbers and instructed me to call to activate. I phoned comcast and said I needed to activate two cablecards. The tech asked if I had a Tivo S3. She started walking me through the complete install (they must be trained on the S3). She said install both cards and then read her the numbers. She said everything went through fine and all should work. I tried testing the channels on card 1. After a minute she said it might take up to five minutes to work. So, I trusted everything would work and thanked her for the great service. After a few more minutes on the aquiring channel screen, I started to worry. I tried with card 2 and same result. Then I noticed that I never connected the cable connection (DAH, I spent too much time on this forum reading about cablecard problems). I connected the cable and same situation. Called back comcast and they sent new signals to the cards. About a minute later both cards got all channels.

So far, everything is working great. Already recorded a few HD programs. Picture and sound are great...as expected.

Oh, no mention of the price of the cards when I picked them up. However, I did read the rate sheet and it said first card is free and second card on same device is $1.50/month. I'll have to wait and see what I get billed.

acc10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:52 PM   #1728
SC0TLANDF0REVER
TiVo >*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC0TLANDF0REVER
... So I called @ 3 to see what the status was, since I didn't receive a courtesy call...
The employee said that the installer tried to call me @ 2 to let me know that there were no CCs available from their warehouse (no call rec'd on my end).
She put me on hold to see what the availability is and when I can expect to get them.

She came back with a new Appt on Monday between 11-2 ( a day before my new TV arrives - Panny TH-50PH9UK). Wish me luck. ...
So the Cable Guy shows up today @ 1 - and (no) surprise, he only has ONE Cable Card!!! But as a bonus, he brought his Girlfriend

I tell him politely that it won't work, that I need two. With that he leaves and I hop in the car to drive to the local Comcast Office to ask for help IN PERSON.

The lady there re-schedules an appt and explains how the CCs are doled out - the 'techs' get them every morning for the number of jobs they have to do that day.
If that's the f'in case, then why didn't they have TWO for my job when the Job Order CLEARLY states TWO CABLECARDS.

Rescheduled for Thursday 11- 2...
Old 01-08-2007, 02:52 PM   #1729
Peter Creath

How are people getting ahold of dispatchers who know anything about TiVos? I had somebody who got very confused by their own product lines: basic vs. standard vs. digital classic vs. digital plus. She also got very confused when I said "in-house tech" and after fighting with her computer for a little while, accidentally hung up on me. On the plus side, I called back to make sure the work order specifies 2 cablecards, and it does.
Peter Creath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:06 PM   #1730
subat0mic

Big Grin finally, 3rd service call is a charm, works!

Quote:
This is ridiculous. 3 visits and 10 phone calls hasn't fixed the TivoS3... Doesn't Tivo run seminars or training programs for these people? They obviously haven't been trained on this stuff. This is abysmal. Lets hope they get it fixed for me this 3rd time...

UPDATE: the checking thingie just finished, only 30 minutes... it's at the "almost there" screen. I guess i'm impatient.
cable techs are here now.

cablecard two works great, all channels in my lineup appear to work.
cablecard one is black screen, not "connected" they keep hitting it and it doesn't change. They put both cards in at once... because they didn't think it would matter. the guy doing this is supposedly "the guru" of getting tivo s3's to work with comcast cablecards....

never got an error code....

one difference, the new cablecards they brought are the blue/purple motorola cards. The old (broken) cards are the red motorola cards (POD2000)...

UPDATE: Both cablecards work now. (woohoo!) they just needed to wait for the "hits" to go through. apparently comcast serializes these hits, and they can back up quite a bit (the tech said he's seen the queue as large as 200 "hits" long)... I finally did get several of the error codes, since they did hit my cards a few times...

Moral of the story,
1.) don't use the red cards (POD2000), the techs say different cards work in different TVs/Tivos/units
2.) make sure the tech verifies you even have a signal and that analog/limitedbasic cable works.
3.) before they leave, check every area of your lineup, limited basic, expanded basic, digital, premium channels (hbo, stars), and your HD channels for each of those areas...

Last edited by subat0mic : 01-08-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:27 PM   #1731
toddc

Had no problem ordered Cable Cards 12/27.

I had to convince the person on the phone that the TiVo was not a TV and that it took 2 cablecards and that it was cable card compatible.

The tech showed up first thing Tues 1/2 and we went through the setup together.
This was the first TiVo in my area (Franklin, MA) according to the tech.
He said it was MUCH easier than the TVs.

I had no problem and I have been up and running since then.
toddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:22 PM   #1732
QZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Creath
How are people getting ahold of dispatchers who know anything about TiVos? I had somebody who got very confused by their own product lines: basic vs. standard vs. digital classic vs. digital plus. She also got very confused when I said "in-house tech" and after fighting with her computer for a little while, accidentally hung up on me. On the plus side, I called back to make sure the work order specifies 2 cablecards, and it does.
Someone mentioned asking for an 'in-house tech.', and I thought it might confuse some CSRs.
I am thinking it is better to ask for the 'technician to be a Comcast Employee'. If they ask why, say 'because CC installs can be complex'.
Do you think that is the best phrasing?
QZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:36 PM   #1733
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1
Someone mentioned asking for an 'in-house tech.', and I thought it might confuse some CSRs.
I am thinking it is better to ask for the 'technician to be a Comcast Employee'. If they ask why, say 'because CC installs can be complex'.
Do you think that is the best phrasing?
I tell the the truth. I want a Comcast Employee because I have not been happy with the service given by Comcast contractors. The employees I've had here have been willing to go the extra effort to fully resolve the problem. The contractors seem to want to a half-assed job so they can get on to disappointing the next customer.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:04 PM   #1734
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishicks
so I have just tried Comcast twice with the same result - we have our own DVR and we do not support Tivo so our cards won't work with it. I tried asking the lady on the 2nd call if I could just get 2 cards to try it anyway and was shot down. I was informed that a tech must come and install these into tvs only.

I'm about to try for call #3 now. this is frustrating.

EDIT: call #3 same old story. immediately the question from the CSR is - "what tv do you have?". I tell them its for a Tivo not a tv. then I get a "oh, our cards do not work with the Tivos. we have our own DVR so we do not support our competition. our cards will not work in the Tivos no matter what". I push on that issue a bit and tell her thats strange as I have been reading here(on this forum) all the people who are using it with their service and she simply tells me "sounds like they're all lying since it will 100% not work with the Tivo period.". at that point I just said thanks and hung up the phone.
UPDATE!!!

after a few more calls just like those above I just gave up and started using the S3 as a dual tuner analog recorder today. then, just for giggles I have my wife try and give them a call. guess what...she has the luck of the Irish. she gets a very nice lady who with absolutely zero hassles tells her "sure you can have 2 CCs." she then tells her she noted our account and that we can pick them up at our local office. woohoo!! then about 10min. after they hang up Comcast pops up on our caller ID. first thing out of my mouth is "welp, there goes our CCs". nope, come to find out our local office doesn't have them so they're being delivered by an installer from the warehouse or something like that. I think "well here's where they're gonna get us" but again the lady sets everything up nicely. free installation + a discount on our other receivers because of the hassle. I swear my wife has all the luck.

Comcast guy will be here Sat. did I say WOOHOO!!!!!?
Motorola RNG200N Comcast HD DVR
chrishicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:11 PM   #1735
OzDave

Roslindale, Boston, MA
I have had problems with the first CC since the Comcast guy installed them at the end of Nov. It seemed to be working when he left, then I noticed not all channels came in on it. Checking the Conditional Access screen, it said Auth: unknown.
As I need to take time off work for Comcast to come around, I wait till near christmas to call them. I called them, and of course, a tech needs to come out. He makes a couple of calls back to the office, it seems that one of the numbers were wrong on their end. They correct it, and hit the CC, and Auth changes to SUBSCRIBED. He explains the channels take a while to all come in. Some channels come in, so he leaves.
During christmas I had visitors staying, and they keep seeing a CC screen coming up while watching TV. They said just press Clear and it goes away. I didn't pay too much attention thinking that it is still loading channels. As it turns out, the 1st CC did have a problem. Although it said subscribed, it had Host Validation: Unknown 00
Calling ComCast again today, and they guy hit the card again, but nothing happened. He suggested turning it all off, removing the cards, wait a while, and then re-insert and start the TiVo back up again. He said if that doesn't work, they will need to send a tech. out.
So I tried all that, and now both CC don't work. Checking the pairing screen, I see that all numbers are the same to what they where when the tech originally installed the CC in Nov, EXCEPT for Data.
Reading the forums, I had seen that other people had luck with validating the numbers with a ComCast rep on the phone, so I called them again. Told them what was up, after a noticable sigh, he said there is nothing they can do, they need to send out a tech. I told him I have all the numbers to re-verify. But he wasn't going to budge. He told me I need a tech to fix the issue.
So, more vacation time off work to get this going. Like many readers, I am very ready to send the whole S3 back to TiVo and go back to using my S2 with a normal cable box. It seemed to "just work".
OzDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:14 PM   #1736
OzDave

Quote:
does anyone know how to reset the cablecards to factory default?
does this make sense, that pulling them out would screw them up?
is there anything I can do to fix this myself?
Don't know if it makes sense that pulling them out would screw them up, but it did to me. My Data numbers are different on the CC Pairing screen. And, like your wife, I was instructed to do so by the ComCast support people.

Quote:
Moral of the story,
1.) don't use the red cards (POD2000), the techs say different cards work in different TVs/Tivos/units
The CCs in my unit are red.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:51 PM   #1737
OzDave

Angry ComCast not assisting TiVo customers

I just tried out ComCast's LiveChat. Here is the transcript, names changed and numbers removed:

advanced_too_log> user Randy has entered room
advanced_tool_log> analyst "K.G." has entered room
Analyst> Hello Randy, and thank you for contacting Comcast, I will be assisting you with your troubleshooting today, what can i assist you with?
Randy> Hi, I have two CC and one was not functioning. I called custmer support, and they suggested I remove them reboot the TiVo. Unfortunatly, the values for Data have changed. I have the new numbers. Can you enter them and re-hit the CCs?
Randy> Card 1: NGxxxx-Axxxx Data: xxx-xxx-xxx-xx
Randy> Card 2: NGxxxx-Axxxx Data: xxx-xxx-xxx-xx
Analyst> Okay one moment please
Analyst> For security purposes can I get your last for digits on your SSN or the full account number please
Randy> xxx-xx-xxxx
Randy> that was my SS#
Analyst> I apologize for the inconcenience but in regards of this issue you will have to contact TiVo for further assistance as this not an issue with the comcast products or services
Anaylst> Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
Randy> no
Analyst> Thank you for contacting Comcast. <snip>

I was just stunned by the response to think of anything to say.

They also provided a link in the closing 'thank you' to a FAQ, which not surprising does not work:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/FAQs
Old 01-09-2007, 06:20 AM   #1738
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzDave
So, more vacation time off work to get this going. Like many readers, I am very ready to send the whole S3 back to TiVo and go back to using my S2 with a normal cable box. It seemed to "just work".
Your experience was just like mine, except I took the 30 day money back guarantee to heart, and returned the S3 before it was too late. Your point about the solution needing to "just work" is critical. Most customers don't care why your product doesn't work. They just want it to work, and if it doesn't, then they don't want it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:30 AM   #1739

I had my comcast cable cards installed two weeks ago. It took the techs about 15 minutes and I've had no issues since. Sounds like I'm one of the lucky ones?
9300170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:31 AM   #1740
Warlord46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
Your point about the solution needing to "just work" is critical. Most customers don't care why your product doesn't work. They just want it to work, and if it doesn't, then they don't want it.
You are exactly right. A simple but profound statement of fact, obvious to anyone who has ever bought anything that did not work - which includes most people over the age of 18. If Comcast, as the consumer's only source for cable cards, can sabotage an S3 so that it does not work at all with scrambled signals (which they can do by refusing to give provide cable cards, or refusing to program them, or hassling the customer until they return the S3, as this forum has documented to the nth degree), what's the typical consumer to do? Rent a Comcast DVR, of course, which Comcast is quick to remind you of. If you are a Comcast employee or stockholder, what's not to like about that corporate strategy? A dollar made sabotaging the competition is just as valuable as a dollar made selling a better mousetrap.

Any informed person posting to this forum who blames Tivo for these CC hassles is most likely a Comcast employee or stockholder. For the rest of us, Comcast's sabotage strategy is too open and obvious to miss.
Warlord46 is offline   Reply With Quote